What funny things have you heard at Mass? (Updated Title)
  • CharlesW
    Sprinkle me with hii-sup. This was a deacon who should have known better.
  • Liam
    He could try "oregano" next time.....

https://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/orimaru.htm

• chonakchonak
    "Exoolt, let them exoolt, the hosts of heaven,
    exoolt, let Angel ministers of God exoolt..."
  • Jackson,

I think Clerget must be in Africa.
  • ...in Africa.

Arrgghhh! You mean they talk like that there, too???

Actually, it has been my experience that Africans speak better English (sometimes much better!) than most Americans. Better yet are the Indians.
  • I thank the Lord every time I hear the reading about the Valley of Dry Bones read by a lector who knows the difference between "prophecy" and "prophesy."
  • joei
    Hi. I am new around here, but when I started reading this thread I remembered this from several years ago:

"Let us begin our math with Jesus Christ is Risen Today, number 457."
  • This Sunday, Easter...:

Pastor: join us in our final hymn, "Worship Christ the NEWBORN King", number whatever in the red hymnal.

What holiday are we celebrating again?!?!?

Worse, it got stuck in the choir's heads and more than one of them sang "newborn" instead of "risen". (Facepalm). LOL!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • new for 2016: He was pierced for our offenses*

*pronounced 'äfenses
    Thanked by 2chonak eft94530
  • One time recently, I was cantor and almost started singing the Sanctus in Latin when we were doing it in English...
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • If I had a dollar for every time Jesus was crucified on Calgary instead of Calvary.
  • CharlesW
    Are you implying that dying in Calgary is commonplace? LOL.
  • Liam
    Well, Calgary is a place for the gushing of water and ... oil.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    And you haven't heard of Jesus being crucified on Cavalry instead of Calvary (or Calgary)? Then you haven't been around long enough.
  • Liam
    Oh, Cavalry, u betcha!

I remember my college roommate having the burden of proclaiming the lection of Daniel 3 during the fifth week of Lent - the repeated mangling of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego . . . .

• ...Cavalry...

Um, is that what you call it when everyone has a grand time and delightful fun??
    You know, as in 'all shared in the spirit of cavalry at the parish picnic'.

(Or is that 'revelry' I'm thinking of?)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Over Easter my brother told my family that at a youth mass he was reading and instead of saying "Gentiles" he accidentally said "genitals". My cousin asked how old he was. He was 18.
  • scholistascholista
    Exoolt...

Maybe two-thirds of the way through the first word the cantor decided to switch from Latin to English!
  • incantuincantu
    It never ceased to shock me when at French Mass the pastor (a non-native speaker) would say "et Marie, la mer de Dieu" (which at BEST sounds like "the sea of God," and at worst sounds like an expletive) instead of "la mère de Dieu."
  • MatthewRoth
    Oh, dear. Mer. vs. mère is hard enough as it is... I’m actually straining to hear the difference. I would, however, make sure to separate it from the article.
  • Liam
    I thought that was meant as a homophonic witticism.
  • incantuincantu
    It has something to do with the fact that "mère" properly has two syllables and "mer" has only one, but also with how much space there is between words: "mer de... Dieu," or "mère... de Dieu." The French, their ears already adjusting for the accent, never batted an eyelash. But it made my ears prick up every time.
  • Liam
    So just a soupçon of a schwa?
  • Caleferink
    One homily I heard this past Sunday: "This was written at a time when the Jewish people were under occupation by the Russians."
  • Elmar
    It has something to do with the fact that "mère" properly has two syllables and "mer" has only one, but also with how much space there is between words: "mer de... Dieu," or "mère... de Dieu."

I believe that it also has to do with whether people are familiar with poetic vs. everyday pronunciation of French. At least in the north of France, there is no audible difference between "mère" and "mer".

You have to make sure, though, that at least some kind of gap remains between "mer" and "de" ... spoken as well as written!
  • JesJes
    Seminarian got donkey confused with bottom. A** and A***.

When a priest said during a sermon that he knocked the bishop up (meaning he knocked on the door to wake the bishop up)

Hail Mary full of grapes (girl that just had her first communion)

Our father who aren't in heaven - little boy leading the school prayer.

"Are you staying?" (Agnus Dei being sung by a small child)

"Alleluia, alleluia, aleluiaia" anybody singing LASST UNS ERFREUEN

"And with thy spirit yessss, I got it this time!" After years of saying "and also with you."
    Often comes with
    "And also NOOOO"

The lamington of our lady (the lamentation)

This one takes the cake.
    The priest gave a sermon about St. Augustine and how God gave him the faith. (Clapping his hands together)
    One of the children reportedly came out telling their teacher that God gave St Augustine the Clap...

The story of the prodded son (prodigal)

Priest: who created Adam?
    Child: his parents, but only because they loved each other very much.

During a school crucifixion play
    "Stop crucifying my brother!" (Child in audience bawling their eyes out)

"Soul of my saviour sanctify my..." Hehehehe

"Daniel stop pretending you have the bishops eyebrows!"

Eval, evill and evel

Mizarere

Eggshellsis

Priest: "why am I wearing red vestments today?"
    Child: "it hides the wine stains when you spill it?"

Child during consecration "but mummy it doesn't look like Jesus! It still looks like a biscuit, it doesn't even look like bread."
    Rest of congregation during consecration cough, splutter, snort, sneeze...

One parishioner to another "I totally thought it was consecretion"

The lord is my shepherd and I want to follow wherever he leads me wherever he goes baaa (naughty chorister - not from my choir)

After the plate gets handed around "look mum, I brought back the change this time!"

Aussie ones
    "Chroist" how all Aussies say Christ.
    Satan is not your mate! I tell ya.
    There is a cuppa served after mass by paddy's youth group today.
  • MatthewRoth
    The one about the bishop is priceless.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Caleferink
    Our father who aren't in heaven

...hollow be thy name (also a school kid leading morning prayer)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Heard at Mass where I was visiting ( and now going to work). From the first reading of last week: We have been condemned by the grace of God ....(actual:commended).

Seems I have some work by the lectors....
  • 5th Sunday of Easter Year C (2016): "Listeria" instead of "Lystra" in the first reading.

Having been at an earlier Mass, I heard it read correctly, but had the thought that the place name may prove troublesome. I was right.
  • At practice a couple of nights ago for the Hymn for the Holy Year of Mercy, I was witness to this:
    Cantor:I guess I'm the A**?
    Organist:Yeah, the assembly.
    Cantor:O I thought that was a** like donkey...
    lol
    Thanked by 2SarahJ Mary Ann
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "Send your archangel, Raphael the Destroyer."

A singer singing a hymn and misreading the word restorer.
  • Hymn announcement: "Kingquering Kongs their titles take"
    (Christmas morning, bad cold so a little "throat medicine" taken): Jesus was born in Jethlehem of Budea"
    (In "The strife is o'er, me - every time & the more I try to avoid, the more difficult it is to get it right): From death's dead string ....
    During Lent, Collect for the day: "... whose Son fasted (with missing "s"!) for forty days and nights in the desert"
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • francis
    In This Age of Noise and Turmoil, What Sorrowful Sounds do I Hear?

O Sacred Head Sore Wounded with Songs of Thankfulness and Praise; Soon and Very Soon, Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence! "Be Kind Leave Me Alone Lads"-(God Sends us Forth.)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Wait, which thread is this? Last night's Mass sent me to check on one word.
  • Liam
    MW: \ˈjü-dē-ˌi-zəm, ˈjü-də-, ˈjü-(ˌ)dā-, British also ˈjü-ˌdi-zəm\
  • No religion was founded thousands of years ago to worship my wife. The name is JuDAYism, not JEW-dee-ism.
  • aldrich
    In the Philippines, we sometimes hear: “A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Philippines.”
  • KyleM18
    The second collection for the national shrine of the ACCUMULATIVE conception.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ju·da·ism

/ˈjo͞odāˌizəm,ˈjo͞odēˌizəm/

Whichever way, the 'accent is on the first 'syllable.
  • mmeladirectress

• ELapisardi
    Will never forget Pentecost at my first parish; the recessional hymn was "Creator Spirit, By Whose Aid." Verse 2 should begin, "O Source of uncreated light, the Father's promised Paraclete." No, it doesn't rhyme... Unless you are the very enthusiastic gentlemen in the front pew loudly singing "the Father's promised parasite."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • matthewjmatthewj
    his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick.

Became

his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cursed their sick.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW chonak
  • Carol
    4 funnies from my teaching days:

While reviewing the 7 sacraments, 6 were quickly named by the class of 5th graders. Then after a pause Anna raises her hand and says, "I know what we forgot- Annoying of the Sick!"

First grader trying to recall the word Tabernacle calls it the Pumpernackel.

First grader trying to recall the names of the first people created by God- Eve 'n Odd.

Fifth grader talking about Jewish person wearing a YAMAHA on his head.

Also, for the fans of spoonerisms a priest told me he had once read "Jesus was baptized in the John by Jordan" when he was in the seminary.
  • teachermom24
    Two weeks ago from the lector: "Consolidation of the Holy Spirit" . . . not sure what that would be. Sounds kind of heretical to me.

Routine from our Polish priest: "In accordians with Your will"--we've gotten used to it.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Ukrainian priest from Mother Country, "Let we pray!"
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Liam
    Maybe he meant "Let we prey!"
  • rich_enough
    "And now we come to the final condemnation . . ."

Always a nice way to close out a funeral.
  • GambaGamba
    A new youth group, called “Emmaus”, was recently founded. Announcements that weekend were fun.

“The E-Mouse group....”
    “The Emma-Ouse group....”

And best of all:

“The new Hamas group, for high school students, will meet tonight at 6:30....”

Free Palestine!
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • GambaGamba
    And a middle-school group in another parish with the Edge curriculum;

“There is a new middle-school youth group, called [pause]...HEDGE.”