What funny things have you heard at Mass? (Updated Title)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I still remember vividly a concert by Virgil Fox in Charlottesville, Virginia, many years ago. Fox was touring with his gigantic Allen electric touring organ, and speakers were distributed everywhere on the floor of the basketball arena (University Hall) where the concert was held.

He was playing the schmaltzy part of his program, that included Bach's "Sheep may safely graze" ... and about midway through the quiet, restful piece, at a point where he changed registration, his foot went to a note on the pedal board and there was an unimaginably loud fortissimo HONKKKK. Obviously he had pulled the wrong stop or hit the wrong combination. He recovered immediately, but he did look visibly shaken at the time. After the initial shock of the sonic assault, I could barely restrain myself from laughing out loud.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    CHG... guess you could say he outFOXed himself.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • rich_enough
    At the beginning of the first reading yesterday:

"They devoted themselves
    to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life,
    to the baking of bread and to the prayers."
  • CharlesW
    Well, you do have to bake the bread before you can break it. LOL.
  • scholistascholista
    Bless his heart, a nervous confirmand today started reading the Gospel of Luke instead of the first reading from the Acts of the Apostles. A priest, who was seated nearby, ascended the ambo and kindly turned the lectionary back a few pages. In his confusion, the reader then had Peter at Pentecost saying to the Jews that Jesus the Nazorean was condemned to them by God with mighty deeds, wonders and signs, which God worked through him. [Make that commended.]

And, because of a previous posting - although it was not misread at Mass - I couldn't help hearing in today's Gospel that Jesus was made known to them in the baking of the bread. I must also have smelled lunch being made for the Bishop!
  • Bless her heart, we had a condemned instead of commended this morning as well... Too funny. I bet a number a people accidentally said condemned this morning.
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • I am sitting at a coffee shop barely able to contain myself reading some of these posts!!! The only thing I can contribute is our priest's incredible, booming baritone voice that is made all the more comical by his over-enunciation. During communion, all you can hear is "The BODy of Christ......the BODy of...." and you get the idea. After communion he seems to wait for what feels like a long time compared to others, then a huge, booming "LET US PRAY!" wakes everyone. My 8 and 7 year old boys took a long time to hold in their snickering when we first started attending our church. His voice truly is incredible, and I'm sure he would have had a career at the Met had he not gone to seminary. Anyway, keep the posts coming I need a good laugh LOL!
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ..you will not abandon my soul to the Netherland[s].
    My folks are very good about omitting final s's if there is any doubt at all.
  • I accidentally accented the wrong syllable at the Easter Vigil: MAria became maRIa. (Sorry. For those who will be scratching their heads, the one is the name of the mother of God, and the other is the properly inflected form of the word "sea", as in "He has drowned the horse and chariot in the sea". I was asked to sing 1st and 4th prophesies at the EF Easter Vigil. )

• Liam
    Actually, MA-ri-a is also quite acceptable pronunciation of the proper name, too. Even in English (borrowed from other vernaculars where that's the dominant pronunciation - in Greek, IIRC, it's MA-ri-am, for example).
  • PhatFlute
  • SalieriSalieri
    At least no one has decided to sing the AY-vee Ma-RIE-ah (Ave Maria).
  • Yes, Salieri, but is it AH-veh, or Ah-VEH?
  • CharlesW
    I have heard Ava Ma-ri-ah with a long 'I" as in sky.
  • Andrew Motyka
    I'd say there's about a 50% chance that every Litany of the Saints has a Saint BAY-sil.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    a 50% chance that every Litany of the Saints has a Saint BAY-sil.

It's about thyme and a sage observation that this seasoned pronunciation of Basil has been identified.
  • CharlesW
    Depends on where you are as to how Basil is pronounced. The British seem to pronounce it differently than many Americans.
  • Andrew Motyka
    We fought a war about that. We won.

(purple bold, while still waving a flag as obnoxiously as possible)
  • CharlesW
    I know. My ancestors on both sides of the family fought in that war.

We easterners tend to say Baaah - sil as in sheep baaah.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • SalieriSalieri
    An occurrence at choir reahearsal:

Cantor: St. BAY-sl.
    Choir: Pray for us.
    Me: (stopping) It's BA-sl.
    Cantor: BA-sl?
    Me: Yeah ... like the rat. (Quiet laughter)
  • "He testified with many other arguments, and was extorting them..."
  • Liam
    The Gospel according to Lucca (Brasi).
  • Today's homilist: "Christ will take you to h'v'n" but he pronounces heaven with such a low tone it sounds like "hell". That'll give you a jolt in your pew.
  • scholistascholista
    Today's Gospel, John 10...

And Jesus walked about in the temple area on the Poor Teeso (Portico) of Solomon.
  • chonakchonak
    A priest friend wrote today, "No, gentle lector, St. Paul did not shave his head because of an oaf."
  • Ally
    A few weekends ago, during an intercession for vocations to the priesthood... our deacon read that we pray for "vacations to the priesthood and religious life". He didn't even notice he said that. Father and I both had a hard time keeping a straight face.
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • Mary Ann
    Our sacramental priest, whenever using Eucharistic Prayer II: "...we may merit to be co'hairs' to eternal life..." When he first came this bugged me no end, but have learned instead to offer it up for the Holy Souls and be grateful to God we have a priest.
  • RMSawicki
    During the Office of Readings on a Lenten Saturday:

"From the 'treaties' on flight...(long pause)...from the world of Saint I-ray-nee-ous"

The pause is significant as this lector routinely reads in monotone at a rapid fire, machine-gun clip, never pausing for commas (and rarely for periods, actually).

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • ElizabethS
    Last Friday at daily Mass, the first reading discussed Festus and Felix, among other names. The lector pronounced both of them “fee-tus” (as in, an unborn baby).
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • Bobby Bolin
    Yesterday I learned that King Harold was a very ruthless ruler. And the reading concluded with: "Then Peter recovered his senses and said... The Word of the Lord."
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Ok. I've avoided this thread for months and months. And have not read it. But if some of us as musicians want to engage the people in music, is it really right to keep an active thread on 'the people's' foolishness. Again, I have not read it and don't want to, so my comment has probably been made several times above. Grr.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Some funniness should perhaps be blamed on our hearing, or at least on readjustments to the microphone levels. This week it sounded like there was a reading from the Ox of the Apostles (surely not during year A?) and two weeks before Moses took along the tombstone tablets.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen scholista
  • Jani
    Slips of tongue and mispronounciations are not foolishness- they are human nature, and sometimes comical. And no doubt, musicians get just as much flak, as I did on Pentacost Sunday when I accidentally sang the responsorial psalm for the vigil mass instead of for Sunday. A woman in the back row jumped up as soon as I was done and waved her missalette in my face while whispering rather loudly, "you sang the wrong verses!!!"
  • Jani
    And misspellings are funny, too! I misspelled Pentecost!
    Thanked by 1barreltone
  • scholistascholista
    Ok. I've avoided this thread for months and months. And have not read it. But if some of us as musicians want to engage the people in music, is it really right to keep an active thread on 'the people's' foolishness. Again, I have not read it and don't want to, so my comment has probably been made several times above. Grr.
    I believe your circumspection is well meant and, yes, others have correctly reminded us in this thread that humor may easily go awry. However, I have read all of the posts and laughed a great deal. I find each one is also a reminder to laugh at myself as a member of the fallible human race. Our risibility in this context, I think, need not necessarily be equated with sneering condescension. Thanks for expressing your concern.

That said, I did enjoy the mispronunciation of refuse in today's reading. It is the stuff of good jokes, punch lines and word play.
    Thanked by 3Jani CharlesW CHGiffen
  • ghmus7
    When I came to Texas from north, I keeps heard the lectors talking
    about the word of the Lard.
  • CharlesW
    I know about the lard. I heard a local reader pronounce it that way.
  • Jen
    Today in a reading from Sirach

"he stores up riches who reverses his mother..."

I'm pretty sure this is what my 1 and 3 year olds do on a daily basis.
  • CGM
    Today one of the lectors kept mentioning the conversation between God and a BRAHM. Is that, like, the singular of Brahms?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    At one Mass we heard lot about sorrow, of whom his son was born.
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • Jani
    CGM, uh-BRAHM is the correct pronunciation.
  • Not in English, that's for sure. I think even in Hebrew the stress is on the first syllable.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ghmus7
    In my baptist days, we has a preacher who was very famous for his spoonerisms. Two that I will not forget: 1.one day there was a large bouquet of flowers on the communion table in front of the ambo where he was speaking. He went on for awhile graciously thanking the ladies club for the beautiful flowers...then he said: "let us pray: O
    God our Flower...."2. During a powerful sermon, he was speaking about how we all need to be responsible for our own actions....revving up to the top of his delivery, he said "and I tell you, there shall be no shame blifting in this church!"
  • Jani
    I find both pronunciations in online searches. In my parish the priests always say uh-brahm so that is how I pronounce it. Maybe one of the scholars here will clarify....
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    We have some deacons and lectors who tell us about the prophet Eye-zie-uh
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Recently, at the Prayers of the Faithful, at an Episcopal parish...

"...for Justin, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Michael our Presiding Bishop, Marc our Bishop [... and other leaders, etc... ], that they may bring the wider church to our awareness awesomeness..."
  • G
    Those living creatures gave glory, and humor, and benediction to Him that sits on the throne.

The reader in question keeps reminding other people that she said it. There is no mockery of anyones "foolishness," more the sharing of enjoyment that "we're all in this together," (that is how a 5th grader explained the Communion of Saints to me.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • "a reading from the Letter of Jammess" (2 syllables)
  • Not sure if these were mistakes or not, but an episcopus who shall not be named, thanking various functionaries after a liturgy, said of one,

"We think very highly of him, and I know he shares those sentiments."

And speaking of his dear-deceased predecessor:

"He led the Diocese as only he could have believed God was calling him to." (This at his funeral)