What funny things have you heard at Mass? (Updated Title)
  • Maureen
    Jesus healed the leopards.

To be fair, spots _are_ involved in the process.
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 Philothea
  • ScottKChicago
    My face I did not shield from buffets (pronounced buff-EH as in smorgasbord) or spitting...

In rehearsal, fortunately: "My face I did not shield from spam and sh**ting." They were going for "shame and spitting," I gather.

An octogenarian in the choir laughed first and loudest.

The one that grates on me most, though, is "prophecy" instead of "prophesy" throughout the Dry Bones reading from Ezekiel. "Prophecy to the bones!" Ugh.

Runner-up is Elisha pronounced like the girl's name Alicia. Yes, it's confusing that Elijah and Elisha sound so much alike, but if you make a bigger deal of the J in Elijah and the SH in Elisha, they'll be distinguishable. Or make the J really short and the SH a bit longer.
  • This thread is very disturbing to me. Yes, lectors make mistakes, but how many of us have played an entire mass or several masses in a row without making a mistake? Common folks.......instead of being critical, catechize our lectors and help them correct their mistakes instead of laughing at them here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Would it be okay if we all also talked about our own ridiculous mistakes?

I have an overly dramatic conducting style (you're all shocked, I'm sure). I have literally knocked my own glasses off of my face during an anthem. Also- asI conduct without a stand, I hold my own music binder in my left hand. I have come close to sending the thing flying on more than one occasion. (My choral conducting prof. would be so disappointed in my lack of subtlety...)

One time... a LONG TIME AGO, as a much less mature person and musician... I subbed in as accompanist at a parish that was not my own. I do not play the organ- which was okay, as it was a (mostly) piano-based music program (no comments). (I should note- I'm not that great of a piano player, either...)
    But the Gloria they used was organ-based, and was just a bit out of my abilities. They had one of those midi-capable digital organs, so I (this is terrible) sequenced the accompaniment and ran it from my lap-top.
    Ok- so that's BAD ENOUGH, right!
    Well- something went wrong with the sequencer and the last note did not cut off. Of course, you don't realize that is going to happen until it's already happening. Then, panic sets in... WHAT! WHAT DO I DO?! after a (intensely long) moment of fiddling with the computer I reached over and shut off the organ, which powered down with a loud kaPOP.

The rest of Mass went better, but... I was not asked to sub there again. (And I have not offered to do so anywhere else...)

-----
    Moral of the story:
    Some things are funny, yo.
  • Thank you, Adam. Sharing our own mistakes and funny moments is one thing, and, believe me, I have stories to tell! I just do not like one ministry finding fault in another. In any case, God bless to all and good luck playing, directing, dealing with difficult singers, pastors, congregants, etc. I sometimes think God's greatest sense of humor comes with music ministry! Alleluia (pronounced Al-leh-loo-yah). :)
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • marajoymarajoy
    Insert most embarrassing story EVER:

This one time (not all that long ago...) I started to play the super-loud recessional at a wedding at the time when actually the B&G were just going to give flowers to Mary. (A harpist was there to play the Ave Maria, so that's how I had forgotten it was going to happen, and I was just confused about why the B&G were leaving without the big "and it is now my privilege to present..." announcement.)
    whoops.
    I was totally prepared to give them their money back, (if they asked.)

(someone should start a spinoff thread...)
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • CharlesW
    I laugh with the lectors, not at them, and they do the same with me. The only perfect performances I have heard were recordings where all the bloopers were taken out. I play 4 masses on Sunday, and my exhaustion really creeps in during the last mass. My choir is all volunteer, and the members have the normal range of ability found in most volunteer choirs. In my choir loft things are often thirty seconds away from disaster at any given moment.

In my younger days I played well enough as an organist, but I had no experience as an accompanist - playing and accompanying are not the same thing. Some years ago, a Baptist conductor persuaded a Presbyterian church to sing one of the stage-styled cantatas called "This Day of Celebration." He was blissfully humming parts of it and going on about how wonderful it was. However, the regular church organist was in the hospital having emergency bypass surgery - no, he didn't fake it to get out of playing that piece of melodrama. So Baptist conductor called me at the last minute and wanted me to play. I protested and didn't want the job, but he eventually wore me down. OK, so I accompanied for the rehearsal and for the performance on Sunday morning. There was a section in 6/8 time, which the men in the choir sang like the charge of the light brigade. I could not stay with them. The organ was an old Rodgers from the days when the presets could not be preset. Hand bells were included, and I mentally changed the name of the work to, "This Day of Aggravation." They paid me, and I came back for the evening service. After all the strain of Sunday morning, my mind went blank in the middle of an anthem and I lost my place. They sang the remainder of the anthem without accompaniment. I was really embarrassed - in fact, it was one of my most embarrassing moments. They didn't pay me for the evening service, so to this day I still have an unreturned Presbyterian hymnal. Fair exchange? Who knows. I never went back there and stopped substituting in non-liturgical churches.
  • Andrew Motyka
    In my choir loft things are often thirty seconds away from disaster at any given moment.

I hope to someday have as much experience as you, so that I can develop that huge of a buffer.

Also, "Thirty Seconds from Disaster" would be a great band name. Calling dibs on it.
  • ElizabethS
    At this year's Easter Vigil, I sat in the choir loft for about 15 seconds after the priest's final collect following the 7th reading and psalm, wondering why nobody was doing anything and why the priest was just standing around... then I remembered, "OH MY GOSH, I'm supposed to be starting the Gloria!" Dived into my choir bag, ripped the Gloria out of the notebook, pulled out a number of random loud stops, and started going. Whoops. I also have accidentally smacked my choir members with my baton on a number of occasions, since I sing soprano and have them gather round fairly close to me so we can hear each other better. Fortunately, they always laugh it off with good grace.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • TCJ
    One of the first Masses I ever played for, I was supposed to play the "Mystery of Faith" and I forgot about it for a bit until I noticed silence. I didn't even bother getting on the organ bench when I realized it, but instead just reached over with my hands and started playing it. I was so used to kneeling at the consecration (and remaining in that position) that it was so strange to have to pop up instantly to play something. Personally, I prefer it when churches don't have to sing that.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • BenBen
    Had a similar moment when I forgot to ring the bells at the elevation once. It's the silence that always gets you!

"My Lord and my ... wait, who's ringing the bells toda...yep. ME."
  • Steve QSteve Q
    MT56 - you are right, I shouldn't make fun of another liturgical ministry - particularly when I am so far from perfect myself. To be honest, sometimes I just get frustrated with repeated obvious mistakes by lectors who walk up to proclaim God's Word with no preparation whatsoever. Most of us church musicians have spent years if not decades honing our craft. We may spend hours each week rehearsing music for weekend liturgies. I would hope the lector (isn't their ministry as important as ours?) could at least read through the readings once or twice before approaching the ambo. If there is something that they don't know how to pronounce, they should look it up.

I have training as a voiceover artist also. I have offered to at least 3 pastors to help coach our lectors, but have been denied each time. So I have tried to be part of the solution. Week after week, the Holy Scripture whips by at lightening speed, in a monotone, full of errors - and I wonder if anyone in the congregation grasped what was just said.

Forgive me for venting.
  • Steve QSteve Q
    OK here's one of my many embarrassing moments. I stand next to the organ while I am conducting the choir. One day I gave on overly dramatic gesture and knocked my organist's metronome off the top of the organ. It went flying right over railing of the loft and landed in the center aisle of the church, smashing into a million pieces. Luckily, it didn't hit anyone!
  • One of the funniest (well, actually, it's hardly funny any more) mis-pronunciations that I too regularly encounter is that of the pronoun 'our'. This is one of my pet peeves and I never fail to harp on it mercilessly. You all know, of course, that Texas and the south are not the only guilty area. I speak of 'our' pronounced as 'are'. This is one of those things which needs frequent correctives at choir rehearsals, and, as well, in coaching lectors and psalmist. What a pleasant thing it is when all concerned have come beautifully to say 'owr' instead of 'are', or worse, 'arrrr', or 'orrr'.

The finest received pronunciation for choral work is that of the British cathedral and collegiate choirs. It wouldn't hurt if it were also for lectors and psalmist-cantors.
  • Liam
    No, that pronunciation of our is *not* a mispronunciation. It's a 100% legitimate regionalism that actually has roots in regional usage in the British Isles. British RP is a 100% legitimate pronunciation, but as a pronunciation *standard* it is utterly irrelevant in the US (I will leave the many different opinions about it in the British Isles to the residents thereof). And you will be mocked mercilessly behind your back if you try to impose it here by offering such a pretext; that's a very American tradition. (Besides, at least in my experience, it seems there are many choral directors who if anything cultivate that pronunciation of our to avoid a diphthong that sours their singers' pitch.)

(Writing from very non-rhotic Boston here, where the thrifty Yankee Law of Conservation of Rs means they get saved and put to use elsewhere.)
    Thanked by 2SkirpR MarkThompson
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yankee Law of Conservation of Rs

always wunduhd what that idear was called
  • CharlesW
    Love Baaaston. Nice place.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Not a lector mistake per se, but all too common:

...and lead a snot into temptation...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    British RP is a 100% legitimate pronunciation, but as a pronunciation *standard* it is utterly irrelevant in the US

I agree 1000%, but will make allowances for its use, particularly if the work being sung is in English and by an English composer. To apply it to an American composer's work is (at least sometimes) misguided.
  • scholistascholista
    This thread is very disturbing to me. Yes, lectors make mistakes, but how many of us have played an entire mass or several masses in a row without making a mistake? Common folks.......instead of being critical, catechize our lectors and help them correct their mistakes instead of laughing at them here.

Personally, I think humor is a good, healthy & human response to inadvertent occurances - mine or otherwise. And yes, I've made some doozy mistakes at Mass myself! But I like to laugh. That's why I started this thread a year ago.

So, for example, when someone inadvertently writes Common folks instead of C'mon folks, I'm not critical, I just enjoy a good laugh.

Can catechesis and levity collaborate? I think so.

Thanks to all who have made me laugh this year. Keep 'em coming!
  • MarkThompson
    Not a lector mistake per se, but all too common:

...and lead a snot into temptation...

Seriously asking here: Is this a mistake you have actually heard, or is it just sort of a comment on the fact that in fluent speech the end of one word will abut the next? If the latter, I suppose I've also heard "who are tin heaven, hallowed be thine aim."
  • scholistascholista
    In rehearsal, fortunately: "My face I did not shield from spam and sh**ting." They were going for "shame and spitting," I gather.

Maybe I'm just easily entertained, but I think spoonerisms are hilarious.
    Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have heard children actually say this - it is what they hear the adults say, after all.
    Thanked by 1scholista
  • Andrew Motyka
    I'm almost positive I've shared the story before, but none of you are my wife and don't get to complain about my constantly repeating my stories.

Once, at a rehearsal, I started to speak about just how human and earthly the Psalms are, after having sung, "The beast of the field lays its waste."

Naturally, the real verse is, "The beast of the field lays it waste."
  • WiesOrganista
    Yesterday: (Go Make of All Disciples) "Go Make of Us All Discipline, ahh, Discipline Us O Lord, ahh, Make of Us Discipline, ahhhh, Make Us All Disciples".

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Have probably told this story before...

As a young acolyte, I once inappropriately disposed of spent charcoal from a thurifer, starting a fire in the sacristy in the middle of Midnight Mass. Which I was completely unaware of until the deacon ran back and doused the thing.

I did prevent a candle-bedecked floral arrangement from going up in flames at the Easter Vigil that spring. It seems that (as with his three questions to Peter) Our Lord provides ample opportunities for us to redeem ourselves of our missteps.

• matthewjmatthewj
    Adam Wood: always causing trouble.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The ones I get are usually regarding locations, like names of ancient cities, etc. The one that comes to mind is Antioch, pronounced "ANN-ee-ock." Saints names sometimes get it, too, which is sad. Cecilia becomes "Celia."

@Wendy: I've heard that one done too!
    And now let us look at the genitals.

Instead of Gentiles.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ScottKChicago
    Maybe I'm just easily entertained, but I think spoonerisms are hilarious.

Don't worry if the church is crowded; an usher will be happy to sew you to your sheet.

Indeed, our Lord is a shoving leopard.
  • ghmus7
    Ok, when I was a baptist, there was a pastor that was at the pulpit
    thanking the ladies for putting flowers on the table that morning. Then he
    said "let us pray.... O God our Flower"...

There was a cantor who was singing Panis Angelicus. Only every time
    the word Panis was clearly sung with an e instead of an a.
  • ghmus7
    This pie is occupued.
  • ronkrisman
    Jesu, Jesu…(said as: GEE-zoo, GEE-zoo)

Actually, this is the correct pronunciation of the English vocative form of "Jesus." Most people read and pronounce "Jesu" as if it were a Latin word, but there is an English pronunciation which is different.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also Haitian creole, no?
  • ronkrisman
    "Jezi" in Haitian Creole.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I knew I heard it in a song somewhere.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But, also...

Actually, this is the correct pronunciation of the English vocative form of "Jesus."

Is this attested anywhere reasonably recently?
  • ronkrisman
    Couple of sites on the internet which provide pronunciation of words. Don't know if you will find those reliable, such as:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jesu
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Don't know if you will find those reliable, such as:

As reliable as a dictionary. Which, you know...

Je·su [jee-zoo, -soo, jey-, yey-] Show IPA
    noun Literary.
    Jesus.
    Origin:
    1150–1200; Middle English < Late Latin Iēsu, oblique (orig. vocative) form of Iēsus < Greek Iēsoû; see Jesus

It seems like it may be somewhat more accurate to say that "GEE-zoo" is one of several historical pronunciations, and that it has largely fallen out of favor in American English.

(Maybe? Heck, I don't know...)

(As for the British... who knows what they're ever going to do with Latin.)
  • ScottKChicago
    It seems like it may be somewhat more accurate to say that "GEE-zoo" is one of several historical pronunciations, and that it has largely fallen out of favor in American English.

jee-ZOO is the only pronunciation I've ever heard U.S. Episcopalians use in the African hymn "Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love." I believe U.K. people would say "jee-ZYOO." The accent in both cases is dictated by the musical rhythm in that hymn.

Also, on the rare occasions when the form "Jesu" is encountered, it's pronounced "JEE-zoo" or "JEE-zyoo." No need to jump suddenly from English into Latin pronunciation and say "YAY-zoo."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've only ever heard "Yay-zoo, Joy of Man's Desiring."

I've heard Episcopalians sing, "Jesu, Jesu, fill us with your love." I remember it was terrible, but I don't remember how they pronounced it.

(And not for nothing: that song is not "native" to the people singing it out of the 1982, so I wonder how much of the pronunciation is influenced by a certain amount of exotic-ish-ness. Just wondering.)
  • ronkrisman
    Adam,

It's no big deal. In my choir singing and conducting days (mid-1960's - early 1980's) it was always "Jee-zoo." Today if a conductor tries to get a choir to sing it that way, they think him or her mad.

Hopefully, you've learned that there is another pronunciation.

Just happy to do my little part in contributing to the continuing education of AW.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    I've told my choir "you can sing 'Jee-zoo joy' or 'Yeh-soo yoy'; take your pick."
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the continuing education of AW.

A never-ending project, to be sure.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've told my choir "you can sing 'Jee-zoo joy' or 'Yeh-soo yoy'; take your pick."

Consistency in English pronunciation is extremely important.

• jeffinpa
    In the intercessions this past Sunday we prayed for spiritual benefits of "daily resuscitation of the rosary." This was more entertaining than the usual mispronounced place names. (In Altoona, PA at the 8:00 AM mass at an undisclosed parish)
  • Andrew Motyka
    Aw, now I want to know where! I just came from Altoona.
  • FWIW here in south-east England, I've always heard the pronunciation "Jee-zoo" (with the stress on the first syllable) in hymns like "Jesu, joy of man's desiring", "O Jesu Saviour of mankind" and "O Jesu, King most wonderful".

It's hard (for me) to imagine anyone singing it as Latin "Iesu".
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Learn something erry-dey.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I've only ever heard Iesu.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Notwithstanding its apparent correctness, I'm pretty sure if I heard "Jee-zoo" in an ostensibly English-speaking context, I would giggle. I'm probably a bad person, or a philistine, but- I probably would. Just sayin'.