Hymn Tune Introits for Lent
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here are the Hymn Tune Introits for the first two Sundays of Lent, with metrical Antiphons by Kathy Pluth set to my harmonization of the hymn tune Erhalt uns Herr and verses set to another of my (double) Anglican chant tunes. The Introits for Ash Wednesday and the rest of the Sundays of Lent should follow in a day or two.

Edit: I've uploaded corrected versions of these (2012-02-14).

Edit: These are now complete, Ash Wednesday and the five Sundays of Lent, see below.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Yay! Thank you sooo much. Are you planning also to make available a melody only version for the congregation?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Hadn't thought about melody only, since the tunes are all familiar. For Advent, I made an Antiphon only page with all four Sunday Antiphons included between the staves (like a 4 stanza hymn). Maybe I should do something like this for Lent?
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    That would be marvelous, thanks.
  • These are awesome! Thank you so much!!
  • Heath
    Charles, I would second Angela's suggestion about melody-only copies . . . Erhalt isn't as well known in my area.

Keep up the great work! I love this project!
  • Yes - these are fantastic - compliments!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Corrected versions of the above scores have been uploaded.
  • Thanks, very lovely and we'll probably use them this year.
  • Kathy
    Thanks to all of you for your gracious comments! More to come.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In addition to Kathy's, my thanks also!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Introits for Ash Wednesday and Lent I through V are now complete, and the complete PDF is attached (7" x 8.5" which can be printed, 2-up, landscape, on 11" x 14" legal paper, and assembled into a booklet). Also attached is a PDF for the Antiphons only, all on one 8.5" x 11" sheet, for use by the congregation.

Many thanks to YellowRoseofTexas for using the Ash Wednesday Introit!!
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • thank YOU for making it available ;)
  • Ted
    Thanks!
    But there seems to be a typo: The copyright page on the first pdf talks about Christmas, not Lent
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes, I noticed that, too ... I took that page from the Christmas collection and forgot to update it. I'll upload the corrected version shortly. Thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a corrected upload of the Hymn Tune Introits for Lent. Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest or appreciation.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • canadashcanadash
    Just wanted to let you know that we are using this. So thank you! We are not using your settings for the verses, but rather the SEP. They go together rather nicely. I'm hoping I'll get to the verses next year, when I get a chance to learn them well myself! THANKS!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thank YOU! I've given some thought to preparing a version with the Grail translations.
  • cberry
    Thanks so much for your wonderful work and for sharing it with us. Any chance you're doing an Easter season setting?
  • lmassery
    I'm crashing this thread and posting a different setting to these texts by Kathy. I like CHGiffen's a lot but this congregation doesn't know the tune (thank you, Gather) and the psalm tone formula is a bit too tricky for my cantors.
    Thanked by 1PeterJ
  • Kathy
    This is just great, Luke! Thank you!

One of the great things about this project is its flexibility. Luke took a tune that his congregation knows (even Gather uses O Waly Waly) and made the whole thing work.

Would love to hear about other settings and/or uses. Just email me at hymnwriter@gmail.com, thank you!
  • CharlesW
    My congregation knows the Giffen tune quite well, since the hymnal has a Lenten hymn with that tune. Thanks for posting it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We are getting ready to use your (Pluth/Giffen) Introits for Lent. We used them in Advent ( just the antiphons), but this time we are adding the Anglican Chant verses. With the choir in four parts, I think it will work well a capella. But how do you recommend doing the verses when there is only a cantor? Can the soprano line stand alone? Or should the organ play all four parts? Or should the cantor just sing thecverses to a Psalm tone?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I think it's possible to chant just the soprano line for the verses unaccompanied, but that may depend upon how the person chanting the verses. Another possibility is to have the choir or, for contrast, a semi-choir/quartet chant the verses (SATB), also a cappella. If the congregation is joining in on the Antiphon, then the full choir could chant the verses a cappella.

Thank you for using these Hymn Tune Introits.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have slightly revised the Antiphon harmonization for the Lenten Hymn Tune Introits.

Attached are the Hymn Tune Introits for Lent for printing on legal paper (8.5in x 14in), landscape orientation, two up (so that the Antiphon and verses for each day are on one sheet), as well as a letter paper (8.5in x 11in), portrait orientation of just the Antiphons (Ash Wed. + Lent I–V) for congregational use.
    Thanked by 2MariaRist RedPop4
  • Yes, we would sing the SATB parts on the Anglican Chant verses for sure for the Masses when our choir is present. But we have two weekend Masses with just a cantor and organist. I guess I'm just wondering - with my limited experience with Anglican chant, I don't recall ever hearing it sung with just an unaccompanied melody. Is that typical? Or is Anglican Chant typically sung on the soprano melody with four-part accompaniment?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maria, I have sung Anglican Chant Psalms as a lone Psalmist, accompanied by organ, and on a couple of occasions unaccompanied – in an Episcopal church (with Anglo-Catholic leanings at the time). So the practice is not unheard of, although this was several years ago (c. 2007).

I set the Psalms for Lent back then to my own Anglican Chant tones and am hurrying to revise them for Roman Catholic usage.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is the Hymn Tune Introit for Lent II, with the Gradual Psalm verses, Ps 25:5,2,21,1 (24: 6,3,22,1-2) replacing the Psalm 27(26) verses, as requested by Maria Rist. I hope this may be of use to those who wish to use the selection from the Gradual.
    Thanked by 2MariaRist RedPop4
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Rethinking the Introit for Lent II and making it conform more closely to the way it is given in the Gradual, I've reset it, replacing Kathy Pluth's metrical Antiphon, which is based on Psalm 27(26), with my own two-stanza metrical paraphrase of the longer Gradual Antiphon, based on Psalm 25(24). The tune is my own harmonization of ERHALT UNS HERR.
    Thanked by 3Kathy music123 RedPop4
  • music123
    These are really nice! Thank you for sharing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Will it be permissible to reproduce your Ordinary Time introits on parish worship aids?
  • music123
    I wanted to bump this in case anyone was interested in using them for Lent this year. I am planning on adapting them (if there are no objections) slightly. For the antiphon, I plan to use the ERHALT UNS, HERR harmonization out of the OCP choral praise, which is an adaptation of the J.S. Bach harmonization. On the verses, I am going to be setting the text to line up with the psalm tones. My choir is pretty good, but Anglicans we are not! If anyone would like a copy of what I am doing, I will be happy to post it.

Again thank you to those who have prepared these. I think they will work very nicely.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    It's so wonderful to see the interest, thank you!

Just a reminder: the texts (not the awesome arrangement or verses, but just the antiphon texts), are currently under license with WLP.

Apparently one of our number has recently contacted the permissions office there, and received an answer that may work well for some. I'm guessing that it's universally applicable, although I haven't checked to be sure.

Hi Kathy, I spoke with someone from WLP today and they have a 'composer license' that will allow us to print anything from your book for $100 per year. Seems quite reasonable to me. Just wanted to fill you in on that if you weren't aware. Thanks again!

"The book" mentioned above includes Hymn Tune Introit texts for not only Lent but also for the whole year of Sundays and any feasts that replace Sundays.

This is meant as a no-conflict, low-learning-curve way of introducing the idea of proper texts in the form of familiar hymns.

Thanks again for your interest!
  • ryandryand
    We used Kathy's texts for parish masses last year to introduce the concept of introit propers to the parish, and now sing vernacular chant propers every weekend.

The school mass is now on the same path.
    Thanked by 2Kathy RedPop4
  • RyanD that is wonderful.
    Charles, is there a recording of these? I want to make certain I am thinking them right and want to ensure my lying ears are correct. Many thanks,
    Tommy