Do We Have Two Popes?
  • To be precise, it is required that the declaration of resignation of a pope be in correct Latin, otherwise it is invalid. If I remember correctly, that was part of Pope Celestine V's Declaration about papal abdication.
  • ronkrisman
    But, of course, the Supreme Pontiff, possessing supreme legislative authority in the Church, is not bound by and is able to change a disciplinary law of one of his predecessors.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Love and loyalty to Christ is not mutually exclusive of mental illness.

Obviously I'm not qualified to diagnose and commit. But I figure I'm qualified to ramble on message boards.

Moreover - assuming he is mentally unfit somehow is more about me than it is about him. I choose the most charitable interpretation I can think of. Better that, I think, than assume he's a damned heretic, or possessed by a demon, or just run-of-the-mill nutball.

Either way, the effectiveness of my prayers for him (both on him and on myself) are (mercifully) not dependent on my accuracy.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    To be precise, it is required that the declaration of resignation of a pope be in correct Latin, otherwise it is invalid.

This is a ridiculous line of inquiry.
  • Blaise
    Deleted.
  • francis
    But, of course, the Supreme Pontiff, possessing supreme legislative authority in the Church, is not bound by and is able to change a disciplinary law of one of his predecessors.

He must do that BEFORE he uses the law, and it first must become new law, not after the fact.

That's like saying, "Obama, possessing supreme legislative authority in the US, is not bound by and is able to change the existing law of driving through red lights even if he intends to change it in the future.

That is laughable.
  • Bad comparison, Francis. The Catholic Church doesn't have separation of powers in the same sense as does the government of the United States of America. Regarding supreme legislative authority: last year, when the bishop of Rome washed the feet of women and infidels, some canonists claimed that it was within his power to institute changes in the liturgy simply by introducing a novelty, without promulgating any prior legislation to the effect. This would be laughable if people weren't seriously trying to make that argument, but they are, and it's dangerous territory, IMO.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • francis
    Then you are saying that the pope has solitary authority to change anything or everything at his own whim?
  • CharlesW
    All of this makes me clearly understand why the Orthodox are only willing to accept the papacy as it functioned in the first thousand years of the church.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • No, I would never assert such a thing myself, but it is clearly what Jimmy Akin has claimed (no. 3):
    Q: Can Pope Francis just do things that aren’t provided for in the law?

A: Yes. The pope does not need anybody’s permission to make exceptions to how ecclesiastical law relates to him. He is canon law’s ultimate legislator, interpreter, and executor.
  • francis
    Jimmy Akin is a reporter.
  • An apologist actually, I think. The canonist I read commentary from was Edward Peters. He considers the bishop of Rome within his rights, but he is also concerned about the precedent he sets by deviating from the law without officially abrogating it.
    Thanked by 2chonak CharlesW
  • Blaise
    As for Pope Michael, I am reading his Wikipedia article. If he claims that all popes since Pius XII are not legit, then from where does his group of followers gain the authority to elect him? A true anti-pope would at least have somebody with plausible claim, such as a competing group of bishops, to serve as electors. "Pope" Michael's electors, however, were all laity--including his parents.

I wouldn't even call him a legit anti-pope, if you know what I mean. I think he just wants to make a statement.
  • francis
    madorganist

Totally my point.

If this is the lay of the land, Francis could create seven 'new' sacraments in a flash! That WOULD be nuchurch fully borne!
  • Well, yes: but the queen could theoretically declare war on some other nation on a whim by virtue of her sovereign power. But everyone (including she) knows that she would do this only if she were 'incompetent'. This is all in the realm of fantasy and would be an issue only in the case of obvious mental imbalance.
  • francis
    MJO

This reminds me of a bit concerning Cardinal Siri:

"The Cardinal even somewhat defended the Council, as long as it was interpreted in the light of Tradition, though he did remark that, "If the Church were not divine, this Council [VII] would have buried it".
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • But it IS divine, and the council did not bury it.
    Being divine, it did what it did under the guidance of the Holy Ghost. The problems we have experienced in its wake represent not the acts of the council itself, but the acts of men and women who rather 'invented' something called 'The Spirit of Vatican II' and who were and continue to be actually disobedient to the council.
  • MJO, I don't think we should be too quick to ascribe the council or its fruits to the Holy Ghost. I recommend reading Pope John's Council or Vatican II and Religious Liberty by Michael Davies, or The Rhine Flows into the Tiber by Fr. Ralph Wiltgen to gain an understanding of how a liberal faction essentially hijacked the council, assuring that the meticulously prepared schemas would be jettisoned in favor of modernism. The "spirit of Vatican II" crowd wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it weren't for vague and ambiguous language in the letter of V2.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW francis
  • BruceL
    I'm nervous to read most of the posts in this thread, but two thoughts:

1) Thanks, Adam Wood, for some levity.
    2) I will definitely plan a trip to the cathedral in Phoenix if we all get free fried chicken! Seeing Col. Sanders play the organ would also be a treat!
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood Ben francis
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Please, when referring to the "organ" of the Phoenix Cathedral, always use "s around the word organ.
  • ronkrisman
    Like this?

sssssssss
    s organ s
    sssssssss
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you'd like to use $s around the word organ, and proceed to make a donation toward a wonderful pipe organ for a wonderful Cathedral, then you can type it however you'd like.
  • I take it, then, that what you have at the moment is one of those organ simulacra?
    Prayers will be offered that your wish for an organ is fulfilled!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What's worse than an electric organ? One from the 1970s that you play for a congregation of 70,000+ each weekend with an otherwise sublime music program, exceptionally well chanted Masses (from the sanctuary), and supportive clergy.

Donate to the cause, my friends!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I thought for RECTO TONO chant you need only one Pipe ... do you need Two Pipes (not to upstage the two Popes question)?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • As a former sometime-Discordian, I don't care about extra Popes. I want to know who the Mome is.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen G
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    At first I was skeptical, but now I can see... the evidence is EVERYWHERE.

Did you know that shortly after the election, the Sistine Choir was heard singing TWO ES PETRUS?!?!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dude, you just created a hybrid of Latin, English and Ebonics!
    Thanked by 2madorganist Liam
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    the Sistine Choir was heard singing TWO ES PETRUS
    Bilingual puns, yes!!
    Thanked by 3Andrew Motyka Ben Liam
  • francis
    madorganist February 24 Thanks
    Bad comparison, Francis. The Catholic Church doesn't have separation of powers in the same sense as does the government of the United States of America.

And the intrigue unfolds...

madorganist.

It seems you can't have it both ways. If what youy say about separation of powers is true, then perhaps this also means the papacy is not just a corporation from which one can 'resign' as one of it's officers, but maintains an indelible mark from God. And if one can just resign, is it beneficial to do so for the sake of the elect and the 'mass confusion' (pun intended) it leaves in its wake? What is truly going on here?

Here are some interesting and pertinent comments from Fr. Z's site under the story link that Salieri posted^^^^-[Fr. Z's comments are in brackets]

I noticed, Father, that it is your natural tendency to adopt “sacerdotal sarcasm” when you might actually be wrong. [Boy! You really got me there. Good one!] Now, Socci might not be correct on all the suggestions, but HIS view events surely is supported by the bizarre and untraditional behavior of the Bishop of Rome: refusal of the mozzetta, signs of authority, omission of the papal titles, call-me-Jorge stuff, etc. If Francis knows he is not really Pope, then he continues to act as a NGO’s CEO that he really is. [There it is... Francis knows he's not the Pope. That's it!]
    Surely this whole situation is highly irregular and unheard of, and it definitely doesn’t call for dismissive relegation of it to the level of “conspiracies,” nor does it call for sarcasm. Confusion of the faithful is not a laughing matter. And there is plenty of it, not due to Socci’s articles, but to Bergoglio’s interviews.

[I think everyone should read this comment, so I'll leave it be.]

and also...

slainewe says:
    26 February 2014 at 9:46 am
    To be perfectly frank, what I find “simply absurd” is the very idea that a pope can “resign”. He is the Holy FATHER! Can a father resign?

If the pope is not a father, well, why do we call him this. Why not call him “president,” elect him for terms and be done with it.

Last year I had a conversation with a Bishop who was being moved from his diocese (cannot divulge his name) and to whom I expressed my exact same sentiment by saying, "Well, I am the father of the Koerber family, but who in their right mind would move a father to be head of a new and different family on a 'corporate whim'. That is ludicrous. "He responded, 'Wow, that is a VERY good analysis."
  • Liam
    Francis, by that pseudo-analysis, the last Pope was Gregory XVI (the last man elected Pope of Rome who was not a bishop at the time of his election)....

Now, mind you, I am rather fond of the First Millennium canons against transfers of bishops - at least as a strong presumption. That said, metaphors are not syllogisms. On the other hand, no amount of reason will fix irrational attraction to conspiracy theories.

There's no intrigue unfolding except in the irrational imagination.

• francis
    Liam:

It is not a pseudo-analysis because no one (including myself) is questioning whether Francis is pope. He presently holds the office as all have expressed (see above). You are making a supposition (the real pseudo-argument) that Francis is NOT pope by Benedict still being so. You are making that suggestion. Not any of us.
  • francis
    According to that article, "Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has firmly refuted speculation that he was forced to resign the papacy which, if true, would have invalidated his resignation."

The problem here are the words, "WHICH, IF TRUE would have invalidated his resignation." goes totally against what is said by

ronkrisman February 24 Thanks
    and claimed by others, including church authorities. It can't be both ways. Which is it?

• Are you truly suggesting that the pope has supreme legislative authority even if being coerced in using that authority?
  • Liam
    Francis

No, I am doing no such thing. Read more carefully what you wrote before.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    FROM THE ARTICLE

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has firmly refuted speculation that he was forced to resign the papacy which, if true, would have invalidated his resignation.

In a written response to questions submitted to him by veteran Vatican correspondent Andrea Tornielli, Benedict XVI said there is "absolutely no doubt regarding the validity of my resignation from the Petrine ministry” and that “speculations” surrounding it are “simply absurd”.

He denied he was forced to resign, was pressured into it, or fell victim to a conspiracy, according to an article in Vatican Insider published today. His resignation was genuine and valid and there is no “diarchy”, or dual government, in the Church today, the Pope Emeritus insisted.

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT HE WOULD SAY IF A SECRET VATICAN CONSPIRACY HAD FORCED HIM TO RESIGN

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!
  • Kathy
    It makes me sad that this good Holy Father, who was widely misunderstood in his papacy, is now being misunderstood by the people who owe him the most. I've never thought that any man was more honest or honorable, yet no one seems willing to believe a word he says. It's really quite sad.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    +1, Kathy, you've nailed it. He's been in someone's cross-hairs virtually his whole life, particularly after his election and tenure as Papa. Friendly fire is still lethal if unabated. Nice to hear from you again. Been missing you.
  • francis
    567 x 496 - 452K
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Now I'm really hungry for some ostridge...
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    2/28 WAS AN INSIDE JOB
  • francis
    Benedict XVI also wrote: “At the moment of my resignation there were no other clothes available."

???????????
  • Kathy
    I love how he has worn the same quilted white jacket since 2005.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think it's probably a translation thing...

He probably meant all of his clothes were white at the time of his resignation.

His Holiness resigned due to poor health... look at him in the last months of his papacy, he was clearly feeling the weight of the world. He might not have thought he'd be around long enough to require a whole new wardrobe. But we're not in charge of how long we're around, and Someone Else apparently decided he'd stick around for the time being.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    I think he might be dead if he had stayed in office. He is an elderly man, and the job was clearly getting the best of him. I hope he has a long and joyful retirement.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think he might be dead if he had stayed in office.

Six words into this sentence I thought you were advocating another conspiracy theory.
  • The papacy is an office, not an order. The pope, whether installed/inaugurated or crowned, is not consecrated to a new order (unless he was not already a bishop). The papacy does not imprint an indelible character on his soul.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka Ben
  • CharlesW
    I don't do conspiracy theories, Adam. There are so many others who do it so well, I couldn't compete.
    Thanked by 1Ben