Do We Have Two Popes?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So second hand reporting of visions.
  • Um, just where is it recorded: what our Lord said about those who expect to see signs and wonders???
  • francis
    Vilyanor

The real problem in general as I see it is that heaven is no longer "allowed" to interact with the modern church. People point to extreme circumstances (Adam's example) and then dismiss any possibility for an authentic action, request, word, warning or message from heaven. The scriptures tell us not to despise prophecy but to test the spirits.

Always rejoice. [17] Pray without ceasing. [18] In all things give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you all. [19] Extinguish not the spirit. [20] Despise not prophecies.

How can we dismiss the dire ultimatum that has been given to us? Is heaven not allowed to interact with our present everyday life? Can we ignore or consider it unimportant when heaven entreats us to alter our present course? Especially if it is sanctioned by the Church? As JuliColl says, I am not worried, nor should we be anxious; but we should certainly be attentive and do all we can to meet heaven's demands.

Fatima is unique; unprecedented in it's public display, foreboding in its content, and demonstrates the forbearance and mercy of our God. But he is also a God of justice, and for us all I am very concerned. And now the Church is coming close to a precipice. If the Church loses its charism, it's dogma, THE truth, what reason would heaven hold to allow this world to continue down this treacherous path?

I am glad you are devoted to Our Dear Mother. I am in no way speaking about your personal faith. I am only trying to beacon a forgotten plea on her behalf. I am not sure if this answers your request, but I hope it helps in some way.
  • francis
    Um, just where is it recorded: what our Lord said about those who expect to see signs and wonders

Chasing after signs and wonders is a questionable disposition and can lead to problems. But when heaven does what it did at Fatima, we are now held accountable to respond and fulfill the mandate given to us. They did not come with suggestions. They came with a warning to make correction to our present course. If we despise their prophetic action, that is our choice, but then we will suffer the consequences.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    My question on apparitions has always been, "what does this tell us we didn't already know?" Like many apparitions, Fatima seemed to have relevant things to say, early on. Also like many apparitions, as messages and revelations continued over time, they started to get a bit wonky.

I had hoped the flap over the consecration of Russia would be interred with Fr. Gruner, but some seem intent on keeping it alive. This after popes and Sister Lucia have said the consecration was done. Oh, but you say, there was a comma missing in the text of the consecration. It wasn't valid. The whole thing has turned into a giant conspiracy theory.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Charles

I have to agree that great confusion and disorientation have overtaken us. It is as if many voices are crying out, "this is the way... no, THIS is the way!" It is very difficult to know which way to turn. As for the consecration, Our Lady told us that it would finally be done but it would be late.

As for it being a private revelation, it is not in that category:

6. But isn’t Fatima just a private apparition no Catholic has to believe?
    A: Far from it. The apparitions at Fatima were confirmed by a public miracle witnessed by 70,000 people—the Miracle of the Sun. Pope John Paul II himself declared at Fatima in 1982 that the Message of Fatima “imposes an obligation on the Church”, and he publicly attributed to Our Lady of Fatima his escape from death in the assassination attempt of May 13, 1981—the very anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima.
  • I don't have Holy Writ in front of me, but I seem to remember Christ predicting that there would be many who would come.... and that we should not be worried. He said something like this: "Know that your deliverance is at hand."

Evidently our deliverance is at hand.
  • CharlesW

Evidently our deliverance is at hand.

I didn't know you were a Trump supporter.
  • Charles,

Pleased to see the purple. I am many things, but a supporter of Mr. Trump isn't one of them. Neither do I support Mr. Sanders, nor Mrs. Clinton. As I have been for the last umpteen elections, I'm faced with no good choices. I should stop listing myself as an Independent voter, and start listing myself as a homeless-Catholic voter. Based on his descriptions, I might be a Francis-hated homeless-Catholic voter. Hence I remember: trust not in princes.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Avignon is an incredibly beautiful place. OMG

• JulieCollJulieColl
    *UMBRELLA OF SILENCE ON*

Quite seriously, it's my opinion that Our Lady of Fatima's warning, If My requests are not granted, Russia will spread her errors throughout the world raising up wars and persecutions against the Church, etc. is in the process of being fulfilled. I'm concerned about the the ugly, violent footage of Trump haters in American cities as they chase, beat and harass peaceful people attending Trump rallies.

I imagine Marxists and the like applaud such scenes as evidence of an accelerating dialectic and insist that wild, vicious mobs at political events are necessary agents of socio-economic progress.

Let's see, what did Pope John Paul II say in Centesimus Annus about such methods of social change and political persuasion:

"Therefore class struggle in the Marxist sense and militarism have the same root, namely, atheism and contempt for the human person, which place the principle of force above that of reason and law." (14, Centesimus Annus)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    OK... Let's all take a bus trip to Avignon. Who's in?
  • madorganist
    "Therefore class struggle in the Marxist sense and militarism have the same root, namely, atheism and contempt for the human person, which place the principle of force above that of reason and law." (14, Centesimus Annus)

I can't help but be reminded of a quote from Mother Teresa about the premiere social issue of our day: "Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion." Violence begets more violence, no?
    Thanked by 2JulieColl francis
  • francis
    ok... so far JulieColl, Charles and I are going to Avignon. Y'all can just stay in your churches and work. We'll send pictures.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • francis
    o my gosh! was in the middle of BWV 543 and my shoe phone went off. I immediately turned on the zimblestern.... good thing the organ had one!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • francis
    hmmm... another option for trip to Avignon just showed up in my in box

Private Yacht-Charter Options

Did you always wonder about chartering a Private-Yacht?

Have you always simply assumed that they are just for the wealthy?

Private Yacht-Charters are accommodating, well-run, friendly
    and are fit for any-budget or size!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    They have to invent another gadget for you. Wasn't there a wrist watch phone?
  • Liam
    You've got the wrong place. Since the Babylonian Captivity, other options have become available.

Like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angra_do_Heroísmo#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angra_do_Heroísmo#/media/File:Angra_do_Heroísmo_-_Sicht_vom_Obelisken_auf_Stadt_und_Hafenbucht_mit_Monte_Brasil.JPG

Because of the significant Lusophone community in southeastern New England, Boston has good flights to the Azores. Under 5 hours, and it's only a 4 hour time zone difference (and actually should be only 3 hours, so it's far to the west of its proper zone, meaning very late sunsets...) And, unlike the Canary Islands, the Azores were not inhabited by humans when colonized by the Portuguese 600 years ago.

(I mean, Nossa Senhora de Fatima obviously would prefer a Portuguese site over the shameful site of the former Babylonian Captivity.)

• eft94530eft94530
    *UMBRELLA OF SILENCE ON*

I think if we are going to have more than one Pope
    then we should be in Avignon.
    I like the idea that Vatican II can have Avignon II.
    And if we get a third pope (P M)
    then that would be historically consistent too, right?

The yacht idea?
    I do not know.
    It might remind people of LRH and Co$.
    I mean, we already have The Admiral and The Chief.
    We would need a new code name and
    if it were to be The Commodore then that would be bad.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'll second eft, and as long as we're in Avignon there should be none of that post-Dufay newfangledness.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    oh... i forgot about that THREE pope syndrome... yeoweee... do I have to start a new thread? Francis did talk about retiring too, which means...
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Liam
    Fr Zed appears to be ignoring that, as he's been encouraging folks to imagine Pope Francis will retire at age 80.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I wish Pope Francis well, esp. if in his magnanimousness, he completes the regularization of the SSPX and allows them to become well established. That has been, at least from my point of view, a thrilling development.

Perhaps some shaking up of the status quo is not always a bad thing, and we have to be open to possible movements of the Holy Spirit, no matter what, and find the positive. As Jesus said,

"The Spirit breatheth where he will; and thou hearest his voice, but thou knowest not whence he cometh, and whither he goeth."

You see that in the political sphere as well, I think. Things are quite tumultuous, but it hasn't been a bad thing to see certain ideologies and policies questioned and new, creative ideas and possibilities introduced into the mainstream. All politics aside, I certainly enjoy the theater and rhetoric of a certain candidate. This guy is great fun and always puts on an impressive show.
  • madorganist
    All politics aside, I certainly enjoy the theater and rhetoric of a certain candidate. This guy is great fun and always puts on an impressive show
    It's really disturbingly similar to the beginning of Triumph des Willens, except the plane's a lot bigger and he's not in office yet.
    Thanked by 3Olivier Elmar JL
  • Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Weigel puts in his two cents. He seems to speak from his "own authority" as though "this just cannot be!"

http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2016/06/there-arent-two-popes-in-any-way-shape-or-form
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I agree with your assessment. These are rather brassy assertions by GW:

The former Benedict XVI ought to have reverted to being Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, or perhaps simply “Bishop Joseph.” And with all respect to a man I esteem and who showed me many kindnesses over almost two decades, he ought not have kept even a modified form of the vesture proper to a pope. In a world of images, the white cassock and zucchetto worn by the man who is no longer pope sends the wrong signal.

A papal abdication, no matter what the circumstances, involves renouncing the Office of Peter, not reconceptualizing it. No good end is served by suggestions that the Petrine ministry in our day has been redefined or expanded.

In the end, I don't know what gives GW the authority to define how Pope Benedict "ought" to have acted, and I don't know what gives him the right to define what a papal abdication is, or ought to be, since it seems to be uncharted territory---unless he has access to an obscure medieval codex somewhere in the Vatican that regulates such events.
  • francis
    Yea, JulieColl:

It's nice to try to backpedal and speculate on what SHOULD have been done, but the truth is, he (BXVI) is DOING what has never been done and CONTINUES to do it, now with the confirmation from his right hand man coming out with a public statement.

Now, the canon lawyers are scrambling to redefine what is unfolding and fit the square peg in a round hole, while the faithful all sit around scratching their noggins.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • chonakchonak
    In the end, I don't know what gives GW the authority to define how Pope Benedict "ought" to have acted, and I don't know what gives him the right to define what a papal abdication is, or ought to be, since it seems to be uncharted territory---unless he has access to an obscure medieval codex somewhere in the Vatican that regulates such events.

Maybe he's just been talking to canon lawyers. The possibility of a pope renouncing the office is defined in a well-known codex, the Code of Canon Law, and experts in the field are in a position to give educated opinions about what style he is entitled to assume afterward. The title of a former pope is not specified explicitly, but the invention of a new title of "Pope Emeritus" was unexpected and really still is mildly controversial. The title of "Bishop Emeritus" has been around for a few decades, and could have been used ("Bishop Emeritus of Rome"). The former pope could also have resumed the title of Cardinal. Moreover, Benedict XVI himself told a journalist that he would have preferred to be called "Father Benedict".
    Thanked by 3JulieColl Liam CHGiffen
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Benedict wanted to retire long before being elected Pope. He accepted the Papacy with reluctance and left when he had accomplished all he thought he could.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That is certainly correct, Chonak, and your thesis would certainly apply to a pope who has the intention of renouncing the papal office, as we all thought Benedict had done, until, that is, Arbp. Ganswein raised the spectre that his renunciation of the office was not what we had all assumed. The question some have asked is, given the fact that Arbp. Ganswein appears to be saying that Pope Benedict was trying in his own mind to expand the papal office and not fully renounce it, could that call into question the validity of his resignation, given the fact that in his own mind, he may not have been actually renouncing the papacy.

With all due respect to George Weigel, Pope Benedict also knows canon law, and knows it far better than Mr. Weigel, and a more reasonable approach to Arbp. Ganswein's revelation would be to follow up with a series of questions asking the Archbishop to expand his remarks and tell us more about what Pope Benedict had in mind when he "resigned" or "abdicated", or "expanded the papal office".

If what Pope Benedict did was not "resigning" or "abdicating" as defined by canon law, then instead of talking about George Weigel's list of what "ought" to have been done, we should be listening to Arbp. Ganswein explaining more about what the Pope actually did . . . and why.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    Pope Benedict was an elderly man, and in ill health because the job was killing him. He resigned. I don't understand why events can't be accepted at face value as they are. There seems to always be the "expert" coming out of somewhere to tell us what it all really means. Maybe it means what it is and nothing more.
    Thanked by 2ryand JL
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I was thinking about my dad who was a letter carrier all his life

You're John Kasich's sister?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • francis
    Pope Benedict was an elderly man, and in ill health because the job was killing him. He resigned. I don't understand why events can't be accepted at face value as they are. There seems to always be the "expert" coming out of somewhere to tell us what it all really means. Maybe it means what it is and nothing more

Unfortunately, it seems Benedict did not actually resign, and that is the point of the entire discussion right from the start. It seems it was his intention to retain the title of Pope (emeritus), remain in papal attire and within the walls of the Vatican and to maintain the munus Petrinus of the office. This isn't like quitting your day job.
  • CharlesW

He renounced the office and resigned. The privileges, title, and attire he kept were allowed by his successor, Pope Francis. Is this going to turn into another Fatima type conspiracy where the text is over-interpreted and parsed for meanings that are not there?

Here’s the full text of Pope’s statement, as presented on the Vatican web site:

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    ...renounce....vacant.

Two very clear words!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • francis
  • francis
    It's not as simple as that. If it was, there would not be the confusion that we presently suffer.

This is a piece by a vatican canon lawyer that may help one to understand the intricacies involved.

http://tradcatknight.blogspot.com/2014/10/pope-benedict-did-not-resign-papal.html?m=1
  • chonakchonak
    It is misleading to call Fr. Paul Kramer a "Vatican canon lawyer", unless he works for the Holy See and holds a canon-law degree.

That is probably not the case, inasmuch as various web pages describe him as a sedevacantist.

As of 2010, his by-line in the "Fatima Crusader" magazine described his education as "M.Div., S.T.L. (cand.)" : with no canon law degree, not even pursuing one. Has that changed?
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, the term "renounce" is used because that corresponds to the Latin term "renuntiet" in canon 332. Other terms such as "resign" or "abdicate" do not appear there.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • JesJes
    That's a really good question. I'm only sorry that when I read the author Francis that it immediately leapt to mind that Pope Francis had decided to pose this question rhetorically on the forum. (sorry I found it slightly amusing that my brain went there)

I somewhat think we have 2 popes even though really we have one but the world is currently choosing to listen to one over the other and I have a feeling that this has something to do with God's will to have both still on Earth, essentially we currently need both not from a theology point of view but from a media perspective.

Let's face it, many people don't like Pope Francis and many people don't like Benedict and I imagine we may have lost people if Benedict didn't step down and we may also have lost people if Benedict wasn't still around. What we have to remember is we're still the Catholic church. We still follow Catholic doctrine and we are still built on the rock of St. Peter.
    I guess I'm saying this:
    Essentially you can have a hard shell taco kit or a soft shell taco kit and neither might actually be as authentic as the original real taco but both present the idea from different angles.

Regardless I think respecting both popes past or present is important. Because one is pope emeritus and other is Pope. Both ask for our prayers so pray for both? Extra prayers wont do any harm especially if you pray for good things. Whether you like one pope over another we have to remember that we are called to respect our Church's father and badmouthing either one of the popes won't do any good. If one is worried just pray, that's what I do when I'm worried about the pope situation.

I must admit I find the pope situation about as confusing as the hung parliament situations we get in Australian elections. Luckily in the Church's situation I have documents to fall back on such as the Bible and Catechism...
  • CharlesW
    It's not as simple as that. If it was, there would not be the confusion that we presently suffer.

It is simple. Unfortunately, we have too many people with active imaginations spouting conspiracies, and too many others willing to believe them.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Occam's Razor can get a "dull" edge to it every now and then, Charles.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • francis
    These are the creds I found on Kramer:

B.Ph., S.T.B., Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas (Angelicum), Rome, 1972-1978.
    M.Div., Holy Apostles College, Cromwell, Connecticut, U.S.A., 1987-1988

Will try to confirm
  • JesJes
    I can say Kramer is great in the confessional! He's awesome, not so in touch with youth issues but still willing to talk. Really nice guy, good taste in music and food.
  • francis
    Kramer's creds above are from his book and another website matches, so, not sure what else to say.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Is this a Pope-ularity contest?

Should Benedict XVI be reinstated by Pope-ular demand?

What does the general Pope-lation think about this?

Or is this just a new brand of theatre Pope-corn?
  • JesJes
    @CHGiffen I think I just tasted returned tim tam slam in my mouth again at those terrible puns... :S Love it.
    At least you didn't go for the kellog's Snap Crackle and Pope joke...
    Maybe they called in another Pope for any Pope Organ Donations required in future from and unfortunate Popegun incident?
    Or maybe just so he could have a friend to Popeover anytime to share a Popesicle?

Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Kind of a sensory overload here, wouldn't want to have an epi-pope-ptlic seizure!
    Thanked by 3Jes CharlesW CHGiffen