Do We Have Two Popes?
  • francis
    I didn't do it. It's Rorate-Caeli's fault!
  • Umm, given his performance, isn't this rather theoretical? The blessed man can hardly move, and he would never undermine Francis, who is Bishop of Rome, and that is all that matters. Francis is also reportedly tone-deaf, so we are on our own with our Evangelical spirit and ability to serve to convince our own ordinaries that we have something to offer. From Rome? "You have the writings of my venerable predecessors" on the Liturgy. And, yes, I do blame these things on Rorate Caeli--plausibility masquerading as revelation.
  • francis
    Rorate-Caeli nor I nor anyone else is to 'blame'. These are simply facts that result from actions of our heirarchy that are being examined under scrutiny of theologians, canonists, etc. Day by day we will understand a little more and discover the repercussions, outcomes and consequences of the actions already taken.
  • ronkrisman
    What Rorate-Coeli and francis present is undoubtedly true. Neither, as francis wrote, is to be blamed for presenting the "simple facts." And those facts are...

Benedict was having a really bad hair day on February 11, 2013, so bad, in fact, that he felt drawn to renounce the petrine office. (So, it was way worse than a migraine.) But when it actually came time to do the deed, the Holy Father simulated his resignation. He did not intend what he wrote and said.

This is true. These are the "simple facts," which, day by day, we will understand a little more.

Of course, this simulation constituted a grave sin on Benedict's part, one so serious that proper restitution could only take place in the public forum, just as the sin of perjury had been committed in the public forum. Benedict, not having made such a public confession, consequently is persisting in manifest grave sin and should be denied Holy Communion until he makes such a confession, upon which, of course, the duped usurper will hie himself back to Buenos Aires and the Church shall again be at peace.

to be continued...

(In next week's installment Hans Kung's role in Benedict's simulation will be revealed. Stay tuned...)
  • CharlesW

If Heather can have two mommies, why can't the church have two popes?

Because one can usually do enough damage all by himself.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • francis
    There are NOT two popes. One is and one is not. Go figure it out!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Too much Pope-ourri for me.
  • donr
    Here is the real question, if the current pope (Francis) passes before Benedict XVI does he revert back to being the pope or is the seat vacant?

Now that is a topic worth discussing, not the current thread.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ronkrisman
    There are NOT two popes. One is and one is not. Go figure it out!

Well, why would you keep going on and on about this issue unless you believe that Benedict is the pope now and Francis is not? And, if you believe that, why would you not also think that Benedict, by his simulated resignation, has perpetrated one of the greatest frauds in the history of the Roman Catholic Church?
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    I do not know WHAT to believe, and that is why I (and a host of others much more knowledgeable than I) pose the question. Perhaps you have a clearer understanding of the situation and can enlighten us? Confusion reigns and chaos seems to be Lord. Who do you think is behind that truth?

If you do not have an answer, I surmise that you agree that Francis is Pope and that is the end of the discussion. Otherwise, why would you be entertaining this discussion with questions?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • MarkThompson
    Perhaps you have a clearer understanding of the situation and can enlighten us?

Yes, everybody else here has a much clearer understanding of the situation.

I surmise that you agree that Francis is Pope and that is the end of the discussion.

There, you've gone an answered your own question. :-)
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • ronkrisman
    francis, I address the issue that you have raised only because I think it is deeply harmful to the Church. Why would anyone even harbor for a moment the thought that Benedict could or would have engaged in the simulation which underlies this entire conspiracy theory?
  • francis
    No one suspects that Benedict could or would engage in a simulation. Read the article again.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/05/two-popes-has-papacy-become-diarchy.html

This is a question of theology and canon law, its consequences and repercussion. Not of intent.
  • francis
    ...and how much of this is TIC and how much is true speculation if any?

Benedict was having a really bad hair day on February 11, 2013, so bad, in fact, that he felt drawn to renounce the petrine office. (So, it was way worse than a migraine.) But when it actually came time to do the deed, the Holy Father simulated his resignation. He did not intend what he wrote and said.

This is true. These are the "simple facts," which, day by day, we will understand a little more.

Of course, this simulation constituted a grave sin on Benedict's part, one so serious that proper restitution could only take place in the public forum, just as the sin of perjury had been committed in the public forum. Benedict, not having made such a public confession, consequently is persisting in manifest grave sin and should be denied Holy Communion until he makes such a confession, upon which, of course, the duped usurper will hie himself back to Buenos Aires and the Church shall again be at peace.
  • donr
    Francis, I did not read the article so I can not comment on all of it. But the last paragraph you posted proves the author has no idea what he is talking about so the whole thing is mute.
    proper restitution could only take place in the public forum

This is simply not the case. A confessor makes his confession to a priest and restitution is between the confessor, the priest and the Lord and no one else.

If he made a grave sin, and realized went to confession, was sorry. The sin is forgiven. It does not have to be in the public forum.
  • chonakchonak
    As Fr. Hunwicke noted a few weeks ago, the insidious element in these speculations is a notion that popes cannot resign: that a "Petrine character" is conferred on the pope at his election, an indelible character that cannot be renounced.

The Catholic faith already teaches that certain sacraments confer an indelible change upon the soul of the person who receives them: baptism, confirmation, and ordination (with three degrees). The notion of a permanent Petrine character would make papal elections into an eighth sacrament: a doctrinal innovation with no basis in Catholic teaching. We who are grateful for Pope Benedict's reign and are sad it ended so soon do not need to invent new heresies in his honor.
  • G
    Cardinale Scarpia: Come facemmo del Arcivescovo Palmieri

Msgr. Spoletta: Una renuncia

Cardinale Scarpia: ... simulata!... Come avvenne del Palmieri!
  • francis
    francis, I address the issue that you have raised only because I think it is deeply harmful to the Church.

DEEPLY HARMFUL TO THE CHURCH? Let's get together for lunch and we can discuss what has been harmful to the church starting with the sex scandal. Dividing the responsibilities of a pope in two is like discussing what we will do during playtime compared to that.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I hear strains of Jack Benny's violin "playing" of "Beautiful dreamer...."
    Or maybe not.
    Meanwhile in Iraq....Syria....Palestine....Pakistan.....Afghanistan....Maylasia....China.....India....the Phillipines....Washington DC.....New Orleans, other fiddles are playing.

Before signing off for the night, God bless we fathers who, though indelibly flawed and failed, still try the best we can to cultivate the seeds of the faith of our fathers into our kids, and their kids.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Thanks for your comments all.
  • CharlesW
    Do We Have Two Popes?

I certainly hope not. One is more than enough.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for the links, Francis. I don't know why, because I've always liked reading about religion and politics and like to dive into controversial subjects, but I've been avoiding looking at the news lately. It just fills me with dread. Hope things start turning around because I can't imagine what the headlines are going to be six months or a year from now. : (

I keep thinking of this line from WhitSaturday:

Spiritus ubi vult spirat et vocem eius audis sed non scis unde veniat et quo vadat.

(The Spirit breatheth where he will; and thou hearest his voice, but thou knowest not whence he cometh, and whither he goeth.)

What is the Lord telling us in this time of spiritual trial? What is the message for us? Thankfully, we are not troubled by physical troubles, like war, famine, persecution or the plague, but it isn't easy to keep one's spiritual balance sometimes.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Do We Have Two Popes?

I certainly hope not. One is more than enough.

It could be worse. We should be happy that, unlike the situation with the hierarchy of some learned societies, we do not have a past-Pope, a Pope, and a Pope-elect.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CharlesW
  • From 2009. Behold the prophetic voice of screenwriters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpus9727VAc
  • Liam
    There's a Pope in Rome and there's a Pope in Alexandria. So, there are indeed two popes.

And there's a Pope Emeritus in Rome.
  • CharlesW
    And the Patriarchs of the east consider themselves popes.

I got popes
    You got popes
    All God's chillun got popes...
    Thanked by 1mattebery
  • Liam
    You mean the Catholicos of the respective Oriental Churches?
  • CharlesW
    You mean the Catholicos of the respective Oriental Churches?

Not Catholic churches but Orthodox. I found it interesting when Benedict XVI dropped the title, "Patriarch of the West." That is the title the Orthodox use for the Latin pope.
  • Liam
    That's different: that's a *patriarch* preferring to refer to the Pope of Rome as a *patriarch* - not the eastern patriarch referring to himself as *pope* (excepting the Coptic Pope of Alexandria).

By "Catholicos", I meant the various Catholicoi of the Syrian, Assyrian, Chaldean, and Armenian churches - the heads of the autocephalous Oriental Churches. I misunderstood you to mean they considered themselves to be Popes. I am only aware of that in the instance of the Pope of Alexandria not, say, the Catholicos of the East/Seleucia-Ctesiphon.

One interesting historical tidbit: the Catholicos of the East separated from the Byzantine and Roman churches in the early 5th century, not because of a dispute in doctrine (indeed, it affirmed the prior ecumenical councils), but to reduce the persecution of the Church of the East by making it clear that the Church of the East was not a fifth column in the Persian empire - and the Byzantine and Roman churches did not treat the Church of the East as having gone into schism by doing so. It's a much-neglected chapter in church history (as is virtually everything about the Church of the East).
  • CharlesW
    Pope is a term used in the west. The eastern patriarchs consider themselves the equal of the Latin popes. He is, they say, first among equals, but no more equal than they are.

Christianity in the east has suffered much, to the point it is a wonder it survived. The Armenian church is one that comes to mind when I think of suffering churches. Given current happenings in Iraq and Syria, the Christian populations are being decimated.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • OlivierOlivier
    Pius XIII died, but Michael I down in Kansas is still with us. Three, then?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Then there's the folk at Palmar de Troya who are now on Peter III; so that's Four Popes. There might also be a few more Pius XIII-ths floating around, too, with their tens of followers.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe we have one and a half.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm not over the canonization of St. Gregory the VERY Great just yet. Moment, merci.
  • CharlesW
    I still think Pope Melo the Magnificent would be a good pope.
  • eft94530eft94530
    ronkrisman: (In next week's installment Hans Kung's role [...]

Did I miss the installment somehow?
  • eft94530eft94530
    Pope Melo

Julie, help me recall the location of our Portable Cone Of Silence (PCOS) stash.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • ronkrisman
    ronkrisman: (In next week's installment Hans Kung's role [...]

Did I miss the installment somehow?

IIRC, eft94530, back in June 2014 this thread died in less than a week, so I never had an opportunity to post that second installment and have since misplaced it.

I never imagined that this thread would be resuscitated after two years. Of course, with such a passage of time, the thread is beyond being merely brain-dead.
  • francis
    Many sources are quoting st emerich and st Francis both speaking to a future of two popes. Does anyone know about that info and where one can obtain accurate documents?
  • Liam
    The problem with the writings often attributed to Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich is that they are actually not her writings, but the writings of another (Brentano). So accuracy is beside the point, and her beatification was not based on those writings.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ah, the Cone of Silence. What an infinitely useful contraption.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • francis
    Liam: Please provide your sources. I am looking for accurate information, either pro or con. Was not Brentano her self appointed secretary?

JulieColl: I am not the least bit intimidated by a COS or any other contraption that ignores, downplays or distorts the truth. I wield the SOTS.
  • Liam
    Francis

You can find your own sources if you wish. This is not a research site.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    Liam

I simply asked for accurate information. You quickly advanced your stance/opinion (aka JulieColl, the COS). Anyone can read the web and make assumptions on anything. I am looking for the bottom line and perhaps someone here knows more about this and is educated on the matter. By the way, this site is FULL of researchers, so your statement appears to me as a red herring. If you are so sure of your statement, why do you bristle at the opportunity to bring solidity to your conclusion?
  • Liam
    Because I do take research very seriously and would never in a million years consider this a serious research site; it's primarily a casual discussion board, with references to different levels of sourcing but almost zero care about cherry-picking (which, to my mind, is at the core of serious research).

Probably, to get an answer more suited to you, you should state in advance your concerns about what different sources say, and your standards for evaluating them. That will help you draw more desirable answers.
  • francis
    I do not wish to draw answers that I desire, only the truth. what is very interesting to me, is that many are afraid of the questions.
  • eft94530eft94530
    francis, the PCOS has nothing to do with you.
    The device exists for Julie and I to talk about our papal conclave (and PM).
    Thanked by 1francis