Pipe Organ Purists are guaranteeing the demise of the pipe organ.
  • CharlesW, you're resorting to labels, which are offensive. Until you have another look at the most recent developments on tracker scholarship, you really have little to say on these matters.

donr, please do try to find a good tracker organ. It simply won't lie to you - every mistake is made clear. Tracker is 'easier' in the long term, helping to develop a solid and sensitive technique.
  • CharlesW
    Don't listen to dogmatic ideologues and fanatics, donr. You will not likely be playing one instrument for life, but over time, a variety of them. They all have their good and bad points. Find one you like and are happy with for now. You can always play something else, later. It is good to be able to play whatever organ you find yourself with, and if you move from one church to another, you will be prepared.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • More labels, CharlesW. I've been fair with you so far, but I'm now getting fed up. Given how long it has been since you studied, I don't think that you are in a position to make the calls that you are making. You still speak about a kind of 'Baroque revival' that is far behind us, and I'm yet to see any evidence that you either understand or respect the principles that M. Jackson Osborn, kirchenmusik or I have outlined. Enough's enough.
  • chonakchonak
    Please stop personalizing the conflicts.

We don't need insults like "fanatic".

And we don't need talk such as "you have little to say". If someone's argument doesn't reflect a scholarly point that you think is important, cite the scholarly point and make your own argument. Criticize arguments, not people.

Please note: Forum Etiquette Guidelines
  • CharlesW
    For church music, I would advise any organists or would-be organists, to get out into the churches, and experience as many different types of organs and actions as possible. You don't always know what you will encounter when you walk into a given church. I agreed to play for a friend's church some years ago, only to walk in and find an ancient Hammond. It was a good thing I knew how to operate that weird arrangement of two switches to get the power on. Experience as many instruments as possible. Learn that Austin actions and pipe speech are not like what you would find on Schantz instruments. Become familiar with strengths and weaknesses and characteristics of various brands. Learn that even among trackers, some brands are known for heavier or lighter actions. Don't restrict yourself to one type of instrument and isolate yourself into a rigid and overly specialized area. Learn as much as possible. Again, you don't always know what you will find when you enter a church, but you need to be able to play it.
  • There is no need for unkind comments. The only things that get fed up are hogs before slaughter. It's an unfortunate turn of phrase...for the hogs.

All that has been established in this discussion is that:

Trackers cost more and what you get is a very subtle momentary alteration in attack solely for the enjoyment of the organist and an organ that may, when built by a major, experienced tracker builder last more than 100 years...often in a buildings that will be gone long before then.

Electropneumatic organs cost less, but will need releathered in 50 years, more or less...about the typical lifespan of a modern church building for a variety of reasons.

Electric action organs cost less and the action will not need releathered ever, though there will be a bit of releathering needed on reservoirs - which is quite affordable.

With the knowledge that church buildings are not constructed today to last 100 years, this brings up one very important issue - tracker pipe organs are all in one piece. If the church closes, the tracker can only go to a church that can house it...either have the exact space with any structural quirks involved in the original installations or a new building with space built exactly to accept it.

[before anyone doubts this, there is a 28' wide Johnson in storage in Knoxville, storage paid monthly by a guy who decided to rescue it from Boston...and no church here has the width for it AND the money to have the building prepare and it installed. I was offered it (26' wide loft, plenty of depth) and CharlesW was as well...and others have....]

Elecropneumatic organs are not difficult to move and install in another building, Electric actions even better for that....

Now, let's find out who the true believers are. No one has mentioned that organs may be built with tracker action and remote consoles of electric action. The best of both worlds. Who can convince a pastor to build one organ with two consoles just for performance purposes.
  • CharlesW
    I really wanted that Johnson and did everything possible to find a way to make it fit. It wouldn't fit in the loft, so the pastor and I measured one of the areas near the sanctuary, and still couldn't make it fit. Reconfiguring a tracker is nearly impossible, but I was disappointed that we couldn't find a place for it.

Dual consoles: Rieger has been doing that for years. So have others.

Fed up? Poor piggies, but maybe they had it coming, ya think? LOL.
  • Palestrina - Are you going to argue the point or argue the person?

The way I see it, you're going to descend to an ad-hominum argument over any credentials that I may put forward

I played the organ for my first mass at the age of 9. I've played the organ for a number of parishes (some on a more regular basis than others) and I've had the experience of playing Pipe organs from several builders.

There are tracker organs around, there are electric action organs around and there are digital organs around. If you want paid work, you can't afford to turn your nose up at an instrument. I'm playing a clapped-out Hammond C3 at the moment, but a few places where I play for cheap or free have beautiful organs that I love to come and play and in places that I know can't afford to pay (one is still paying off the organ!) I waive my usual fee, on condition that I have a say in the music program.

I wouldn't turn down playing for a funeral if the flowers have come from the mourners' gardens they're burying Mum or Dad in a pine box because they can't afford anything else.
  • CharlesW
    I wouldn't be in a Catholic parish in my region trying to improve sacred music if I needed the money. I would be in one of the Protestant churches that actually pay well. Fortunately, I can afford to be in this place at this time. But I can tell you, the real world of church music isn't always pretty, or even Christ-like. I suppose those in academic institutions can isolate themselves more easily in that rarified atmosphere, but church music can, at times, get down and dirty. It's still worthwhile, given the objectives that can be achieved.
  • Noel, tracker action is not 'solely for the enjoyment of the organist'. One again, I ask whether you have read through Van Oortmerssen's book on the subject or not. Respectfully, neither you nor CharlesW seem to understand what tracker technique really is.

Tracker organs are sensitive and they last. I've seen far too many electric action organs with all sorts of problems at the console or chests because of wiring, pneumatics etc. I'd rather build for a few centuries and built a fine musical instrument than build something which contributes to our disposable culture.

hartleymartin, there are plenty of people on this forum that play organs regularly. That by itself, as I've pointed out repeatedly, does not qualify one to advise on instruments. Additionally, that you can afford to waive your fees indicates that you don't rely on your playing for a living, which suggests that you have not actually studied organ to a professional level. This isn't a personal attack: it's an observation.
  • CharlesW
    I think we understand tracker action, we just don't agree with you or your scholarship - something you seem unwilling to accept. It is unfortunate we were not all gifted with such great knowledge and wisdom, or large enough egos to think we are right and everyone else wrong. But it has been said that great knowledge often leads to great pride.

I don't know your age, but some of us may have been playing trackers before you were born - not true with Jackson. He's been around as long as any of us. It is a big organ world out there, and we don't all do things the same way - nor should we. We don't all have the instruments you prefer - heck, we don't all have instruments WE prefer - but we work effectively in our situations. Perhaps those settings and situations are different from yours and our employers have different requirements.

As a practical matter, my own parish is so debt ridden, none of us will probably live long enough to see it purchase anything other than what it has. So the whole tracker/non-tracker debate is irrelevant in my situation. Most all our money has gone into supporting a school for over 100 years. If you want to understand "broke," try funding a Catholic school.
  • Kathy
    I think we're running into the same issue that seems to trip us up all the time. Palestrina is saying, "Trackers are the best musical option." CharlesW is saying, "Don't be so unyielding, because it's not possible, for practical reasons, to replace the organ at my parish."

These are apples and oranges, gentlemen. a) Trackers are best. b) Sometimes, for good reasons, the best isn't possible or even advisable. There is no reason in the world these can't both be true statements, and about many things besides tracker action.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Palestrina
  • CharlesW
    Good point, Kathy. Let me tell you a bit about realities here.

Our diocese is building a new $38 million cathedral. Given that building projects here tend to have huge cost over-runs, I am sure the final cost will be much greater. When that cathedral is built, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they install an Allen. They have a large Allen now and think it is grand. These folks are not even convinced they need PIPES, much less tracker action. Of course, they will want no advice from my parish because we are too pre-Vatican II, old fashioned, and a host of other terms meaning our knowledge and opinions count for nothing.

Now, look across the street from the cathedral with me. The folks in the Episcopal church believe next to nothing resembling traditional Christianity. Yet, they have an excellent choir, traditional worship, gorgeous space, and - did I mention, they have a 20 rank Walcker organ in the transept, and a 63 rank Wilhelm in the main gallery. Both organs that should meet even Palestrina's stringent standards. Beautiful instruments, and as you can guess, they put large sums of money into their music program.

This is a totally different mindset from the Catholic experience. I invite some of our ivory tower musicians to temporarily put aside their quest for arcane and obscure knowledge, and get their Birkenstocks a bit dirty down here were many of us live and work.
  • Kathy
    CharlesW,

Believe me, I know reality.

I also believe that what Palestrina is talking about is not "a quest for arcane and obscure knowledge." He is talking about music.

Yes, Catholics are backwards on this stuff, and why wouldn't we be, considering the middling quality promoted by the professional organizations? Are you suggesting that we dumb down the CMAA, to keep pace?

Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • CharlesW
    CMAA does great work. It isn't AGO, so perhaps it doesn't need to get so organ specific, since other things are more our specialty.

Posted that too soon! We have a bigger problem getting decent music into parishes. Tracker/non-tracker touch is pretty far down the list of CMAA problems, I would think.
  • Kathy
    It's part of the skill spread for parish work. Why not be specific? We're specific about different things on different threads.

I really just think this is a case of not mistaking ideals for mandates. Of course no parish can do everything, for hundreds of different reasons. But that doesn't change the musical ideal.
    Thanked by 2francis gregp
  • CharlesW
    I don't really disagree with you. That "skill spread" can be a bit overwhelming, at times. Ideals are fine. Olympian mandates are not so great, and there probably have been too many of those on this thread.

I have time to add a bit to this. I don't agree trackers are always best, but they could be good choices in specific placements. In other places, they could be unworkable ancient technology in the wrong place. One would not work well in my location. On to a bigger concern of mine.

Organs have gotten too expensive and many churches are no longer willing to pay that kind of prices. Economies of scale were essentially lost in the organ building industry years ago. Consider also, Noel's reference to buildings with 50-year lifespans. In reality, some churches are designed to last 25 years, and the congregations may have moved on even before then. The prices have to come down, or pipe instruments will, I think, decline in number. Whether it is through innovative design, new technologies, mass construction techniques, new materials, or whatever, the price structure needs to change or the market will decline even more. I recently read some comments by a famous performer who essentially said the same.

• GavinGavin
    What is being left out of the debate on tracker touch is that much of human perception of sound is determined by the attack of the sound one hears. It is common knowledge that many instruments are only able to be differentiated by hearing the beginning of the sound along with the waveform itself. So the "milliseconds" of attack on an organ pipe DO have a massive effect upon the sound produced. I've also studied organ in France, and was told that to play French music properly, I need to learn what my teacher called "the attack of the reeds". It matters how the key is depressed.

I'm not going to exalt tracker action as the only or best way to build an instrument. There are advantages to it. For me, I tend to prefer a more romantically-disposed instrument, for which electric action is more common. It doesn't bother me, and in fact I find it easier to play well - though the end result may be superior on the tracker instrument.
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, good to hear from you again!
  • CharlesW, respectfully, given how long it has been since you studied the organ, I think that you've missed out on a few more recent developments. How do I know this? I know this because I was brought up using old systems of teaching trackers and so on. It is only in the past few years, having moved somewhere that other teachers are available, that I have learned more about it. Your answers to my points have consistently demonstrated that you haven't engaged with the newer material. This isn't me being personal (as you seem to have been in your last response to me): I am simply pointing out that there is material out there with which you're quite clearly unfamiliar. So when you say that the difference is negligible, I disagree strongly. I disagree on the basis of the most recent research and performance outputs from some of the leading musicians in the field. If you had read the material, you would have mentioned a few key things that you simply haven't. I can see that Kirchenmusik has read it because of some points earlier on about aspects of technique. So you can keep attacking me personally, or perhaps you can pause, consider that somebody younger than you does have something to say, and see what developments have happened in the field since you graduated many moons ago. None of us like screaming neo-Baroque organs and less still those stupid instruments that tried to be both Classical and Romantic and were neither. In your world, anything Baroque seems to be equated with something shrill and unmusical. Have you ever played a Schnitger? I have. Your descriptions of North German Baroque organs, frankly, are very wide of the mark.

Kathy, thank you for your wisdom - You have summed up what I was trying to say beautifully. I can recognise that there are certain circumstances in which a tracker organ will be nigh-on impossible. I just think that they're a lot rarer than some people seem to think: Having a tracker organ could mean having a smaller specification, which some organists don't seem to be comfortable with. If it's a choice between a smaller tracker and a larger electric action organ, the choice is quite obvious to me, but others would disagree.

Getting back to the cost of instruments, I would like to make a point about what the business world calls 'myopic behaviour' in organisations. Sure, an organ with electric action could be the cheapest option now. It is not, however, the cheapest option in the long term. The wires WILL need replacing and pneumatics WILL need re-leathering. A small and simple tracker, while probably having a higher up-front cost, however, will be less expensive in the long term. Sure, the church may not be there in 100 years, but is that the way that we're going to build from now on? Don't bother with a marble altar, a gold tabernacle, good stained glass - they all might go to the tip in the end? I don't think so! The organ is a "plant" item in a church. From a financial standpoint, it should be treated in this way.

By way of a postscript... Pipe organs haven't become more expensive: we've just become stingy. A world authority on organs in the Baroque era has done the numbers, and it turns out that it cost seven times as much money to build an organ in the eighteenth century as it does now.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Further thoughts: symphonic organ repertoire and churches.

The organ symphonies of Vierne, Widor et al create some difficulties for organists in smaller parishes. These works really do rely on a large and generous tonal scheme, since they are, after all, "symphonies" for organ. An organist who has a strong interest in this repertoire, by default, therefore, requires a larger instrument. This means that said organist will have an interest in convincing the parish to get a larger instrument, or to use extension to derive more stops. From a liturgical standpoint, there's no need for a mini orchestra in the loft. I asked a question earlier on in this thread and am sincerely waiting for an answer: what did organists in smaller French (and other) parishes do for liturgical music during the nineteenth century that we can salvage for today? It seems to me that the larger "symphonic" repertoire belongs in larger buildings, and smaller things belong on small instruments. I guess what I'm trying to do here is to accommodate Romantic sensibilities and the symphonic aesthetic in the context of smaller instruments and budgets. Widor V may be fun, but surely there are other things that organists can do? Maybe it was a bit unfair to mention Guilmant's liturgical works earlier because they are so strictly in the Classical mold. If someone out there does have some idea of what could bridge the divide that I'm seeing here, please do chime in!

More thoughts... What's the ideal specification for a small Romantic organ that can still do liturgical repertoire? Limitations: 1 manual, 8 stops.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't tried to answer any of your points because they seemed to me to be too much pontifications from on high. Granted, writing on a forum is far less effective than talking in person, so perhaps you are not as anointed to save us all from our errors as some of those posts seemed to convey. And you know, sometimes scholars can't see the forest for the trees.

I do read some scholarship, but don't always agree with it. Just recently, a young organist told me his teacher had decided, based on his "scholarship" that Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland needed to be played quite fast, because we all had it wrong. You know, I suspect a few centuries of teachers handing down interpretations to students is more accurate than what some supposed modern scholar has come up with. To be sure, I tend to read more that is related to French Baroque and Romantic practices, but that is where my interests are. I was never so much interested in German composers or organs, although I will listen to them if that is what is being played where I happen to be. I have no burning desire to rush home and play those works myself. Of course I know that if I were to play the French Baroque that I much love, anywhere near how the composers played it, I would need a very different instrument. Not going to happen!
  • Well CharlesW, you can continue labelling me, or you can engage with the ideas that I've presented. Up to you.

French Baroque repertoire - my goodness! I don't see how anybody who likes that music could be satisfied with it on electric action. I love that repertoire very much (In fact, I like all early repertoires and am just very selective about things post 1750), and the delicacy of the ornaments requires tracker action to execute them properly. Couperin's Masses must be seen in the context of his harpsichord works, surely? There are so many clues in the latter about touch. I think the most obvious problem when that repertoire is separated from touch is that the ornaments are overstruck (because they are difficult to play) and the beat hierarchy of the bar is thrown out. French Baroque makes me aware of touch in a way that no other repertoire does, really - Without that differentiation, it can't come to life! James Tibbles's recent recordings on a Cliquot organ demonstrate the importance of touch. Well worth buying if you want an early Epiphany present for yourself.

In terms of how the composers played French Baroque... There are going to be pieces that simply can't be done on a non-French organ of limited specification. Fact. Fenner Douglas was right about the intimate connection between repertoire and registration in the French school. Nonetheless, there are matters of music that must always be brought out, regardless of which kind of instrument is used. Touch is all-important.

CharlesW, you also seem hostile to scholarship, and I'm not entirely sure why. There are some excellent performer-scholars out there, and they're doing marvellous work in helping us to understand repertoires and their interpretation much better. There is good scholarship and there is bad scholarship. The bad does not detract from the good.
  • Before anyone gets the idea that these special techniques used only on trackers are a waste of time learning and understanding if you are not playing a tracker, the special techniques required to play a harpsichord end up positively influencing the way that you play an EP or DE organ...so these special tracker organ techniques should as well improve playing all organs.

Also, DE organs are much more like trackers in response than EP organs in most cases.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • CharlesW
    Most of those great early composers were basically harpsichordists and their organ techniques were heavily based on their harpsichord techniques. I think I prefer Raison's masses to Couperin's, but that's a personal preference. I haven't seen any Cliquot organs in these parts, and doubt that I ever will. I play what I have, I never said it was the best possible.
  • The argument that when an organist studied determines how little or much they know about historic organ playing technique is silly.

Organists back in Baroque times had their own special techniques. Those techniques, and all organ techniques currently in use, are historic. Unlike Casals, who revolutionized cello technique, there is nothing new in organ technique.

So, organists are not being instructed in new, undiscovered ways to play, rather they are being instructed in what their teacher has learned and uncovered and likes about organ technique back then.

Anyone can go back to the documents from back then and "discover the true way to..." but that's not discovering, it is uncovering...there are always new fads in organ playing and they are not new, but just the current fad that teachers are following

If you really want an argument, mention finger crossing at the time of Bach and use of the thumb. Organists did not use the thumbs when playing for a long time. Try playing a hymn with fingers only.
  • CharlesW
    And it is a fantastic lie that Baroque organists never used their heels. Even the AGO magazine had an article refuting that nonsense some years ago. The garbage we have heard from some of the experts is mind-boggling.
  • I think that's a bit of a rough generalisation, to be honest, but anyway... You recognise a connection between harpsichord (or, better still clavichord) technique and organ technique. Many nineteenth-century organists were pianists. Wouldn't it be remiss to consider the impact of piano technique on organ for their repertoire, including that of touch? Van Oortmerssen does actually discuss this.
  • Again, CharlesW, that's unfair. The jury is still out on heels and their place in earlier repertoires. The AGO Magazine certainly didn't have the final say. I only use toes because they give me more control that my heels can, and I find that most repertoire can be done more clearly in this fashion. By the 19th century, however, the need for heels in some repertoires is clear.
  • CharlesW
    Who could have been around Liszt and not been affected by piano technique?
  • Noel, it's interesting that you should mention hymn playing... A scholar is soon to publish an article in which he posits that Bach never actually played his 'chorales' at the organ, instead playing a continuo accompaniment that supported the choral parts. It is not that the thumb was *never* used, by the way, only that its use was regulated.
  • Well, CharlesW, that's where it gets tricky again. Remember the division between the Romantic progressives and conservatives. The former followed Liszt/Wagner and the latter followed Brahms. Serious consequences for technique/interpretation.
  • Noel, I don't think the argument is silly at all. While it is true that all organists could consult the treatises, it's not quite that easy - plenty of interpretation/study required. Marie-Claire Alain's students have a rather different approach to those of William Porter, I would expect.
  • CharlesW
    I believe the AGO article was by Beverly Jerold and she established from documentation that Bach actually used heels. I have that article somewhere, but going through my "archives" can be quite time consuming.
  • I'd be interested to read her arguments. Please do let me know the date of the article etc when you find it. I've heard arguments against, also based on sources from the period.
  • CharlesW
    You know, it is all greatly compromised by the fact that the original musicians are all dead and not communicating with anyone, isn't it? LOL.
  • True, but we make the effort because it's worth trying to make the best of the music. Gregorian semiology is another field which is just as important and just as difficult to get right.
  • I find that I am able to adapt many works by the French romantic and baroque composers to many organs of different sizes. I love the works of Louis-Claude Daquin and I have played his music on organs that didn't have a very French tonal design at all but I still made a good performance out of it. Basic musicianship goes a long way, which is something I think we all have here. Granted I'd love to play those works at St Gervais or some other famous French instruments!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Here's the other consideration, especially on the discussion of heels. In clarinet we have many alternate fingerings that can be used in specific situations and there are rules for using them, but the basic idea is that these fingerings were developed to make playing the notes easier and in some cases even possible. The fact that the Mozart concerto was intended to be played on a basset horn and not an actual clarinet does not mean that it should not be played on the clarinet as we know it. Also the basset horn would not have had the alternate fingerings available but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't use the alternate fingerings in the performance. I will use heels when it is convenient and facilitates performing the music. Same thing for toes.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Exactly. I was at a workshop with Michael Corzine some years ago when Gleason pedal technique was all the craze. Corzine indicated he no longer used Gleason and although he previously did not use heels in Baroque literature, he now did without giving it too much thought. That's the essence of what he said and is not a quote.
  • I guess that my approach is to try to understand what the composer did and why. What I've noticed about using heels is that they tend to create slurs in the music that shouldn't be there. As a result, I'm very careful about where I use them. Often, 'easier' is a synonym for 'more familiar to me', and I can't help but want to go out on a limb and see how it was done originally, and what effect this has on phrasing and articulation.
  • CharlesW
    P, that Beverly Jerold article may have been, "Pedal Technique in Early Music," American Organist, Oct. 2000. I haven't found the article yet, just the cite. I will keep looking.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • Heels do not create slurs in the music, that's purely the product of the technique ability of the player...Cameron Carpenter seems to have no problem with created slurs in his pedal technique, which is well-known for accuracy and musicality.
  • Basset horns were wonderful instruments until PETA banned them...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen ZacPB189
  • CharlesW
    Although I support the use of heels, I tend to use toes more often. Not because I am trying to recreate any historical practice. As a polio survivor from the last epidemic before the vaccine was created, I simply can't always do as Gleason the Great desired. I have to compensate for some minor left foot limitations by using toes. Hey, it works!

Well, if those basset horns had been treated humanely, they never would have been banned.
  • francis
    Palestrina:

Schnitger. Where and what specs?

• melofluentmelofluent
    Is it an irony, dichotomy or pair o' dachshund that the basset horn was banned and the serpent still thrives in the liturgy, probably due in no small part to Mike O'Connor?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, one more to go for the record-
    I'm setting you all up-
    Ready, set, gun shot!
  • Was that a Haiku,
    written with LF toe only?
    Ready, set, rim shot!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    FROGMAN NOEL JONES, Come on down!
    Uh one an a two an a three:
    "Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
    Here stands the king of the pedals and Swell!"