Pipe Organ Purists are guaranteeing the demise of the pipe organ.
  • Perhaps I should have said "contentious" rather than unproductive. And I'm certainly not arguing against the use of the organ, but in terms of priority, think how many section leaders could be hired, or better still, how many elementary school teachers could be certified as Ward instructors.

Imagine a whole catholic elementary school receiving a quality music education--everyone singing on pitch etc. etc. I think that would go a long way for the advancement of the arts in the Catholic Church, which would ultimately result in more "organ donors" in the long run.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • CharlesW
    I imagine all the singers and plod-abouts on the altar going home and leaving me to play in peace. ;-)
  • hartleymartin, to be honest, I disagree with the idea of building an organ in stages at all. I'd rather have something smaller and all in at once than piecemeal additions from potentially 80 different sources over the years. I have seen far too many organs with "prepared for" stops that have never been provided. Doing it all at once means that the voicing relationships can be worked out properly. Basically, I disagree with your original scheme, and your thoughts about mine! Am I being dogmatic? Sure. Do I think it will produce a better result? Absolutely.

Did you read the story of the Mt Tambourine Organ? The additional ranks would be provided by the same organ builder. It is a viable scheme, provided it is planned well and the organ builder doesn't go bust or die suddenly. Many churches would be uncomfortable with having the borrow money from a bank in order to pay for the organ (interest et al.) Unless a diocesan fund specifically for organ music because available for either grants or interest-free loans (or a combination of both) I don't see how the average parish is going to be able to afford a small pipe organ. Even the little 3 or 4-rank box continuo organs are often priced at double the cost of an entry-level Roland C330 or Allen Historique.

On the point of unit organs, I really would advise against these. They're often just unnecessary expansions of stoplists. Organists need to make do with less. Too much demand for big organs and stoplists out there!!

I agree to an extent. I believe that complete unitisation doesn't work well. However, a certain amount of borrowing/extended between the Great and pedal can be useful to save money (and space.) On a manual, I would personally recommend having the foundational 8' stops independent, but the 4' and 2' can be taken from an extended rank. It is a compromise, but a fairly workable one. Another common example is to extend the 8' trumpet down an extra octave to get a pedal trombone. It works well enough and requires only 12 more pipes instead of 30 or 32.
  • CharlesW
    You may have heard me mention this before, but a local organist and teacher had Andover draw up a design for an organ in a Lutheran church. In its early stages the organ was small. Over time, as money became available more was added according to the original design. A final bequest given by someone allowed completion of the instrument some number of years after the project was begun. It is a beautiful instrument and the company stayed consistent with design and voicing over the years. It doesn't have to all be done at once.
  • hartleymartin, I did read the story. I still don't agree. I am entitled to do that, right?

I don't agree with you about extension at all.
  • Noel, I'm sorry that I don't have time to respond in detail right now, but the short of it is basic physics. The way that a pallet opens and closes underneath a pipe regulates the way that air is admitted. As a result, you can create accents, decrescendi etc and really bring the music to life with tracker action. All the electric systems are binary (ie. there's air or there isn't). No control. There was an article in Choir and Organ recently about John Wellingham, which covers plenty of this. It really does make a difference. Since I've started applying these techniques to hymn playing, the congregation has really come along with me. You really can differentiate the first beat of the bar from the last etc. It's very exciting and sounds beautiful!

What I really should do is post two recordings of the same piece - one in which the player doesn't control the pallets (either through an abuse of tracker action or by using electric action) and another where the player is in control. M. Jackson Osborn and Kirchenmusik - You both know what we're looking for, so please do scan YouTube while I sleep, if you feel like it!
  • Choirbook - also headed home now, but by nuance and expression I am not referring to stops. Whatever stops you happen to be using, a good tracker action allows you to control both the attack and release of each key (fast or slow, and an infinite range from legato to staccato). Playing on a plenum, I can do crescendi and decrescendi without changing stops, as well as bring out individual voices in a polyphonic texture. One of my first big organ pieces was Bach's toccata and fugue in D minor and my teacher challenged me from the beginning (on a tracker) to experiment with the whole range of touch. This is a great learning piece for touch, as all of the echos in the toccata and fugue can be brought out on the same manual, on the same registration, with a good tracker action. When I go from trackers to an electric or electro-pneumatic action I always feel very limited in terms of musical expression.

I think some digital aficionados and salesmen confuse the expression of adding and subtracting stops (where a 500-rank digital would indeed have an advantage) with the more basic expression and nuance of touch. Once you understand how much expression is possible through touch on a good tracker, you may understand why some here are arguing for smaller, better organs. For many players, too, playing around with stops often substitutes for a basic command of the instrument. But then, it's a vicious circle because if you don't have access to a good tracker you might never experience what is musically possible with one. Then why build a new one. Etc. That's one reason it is so important to have some good instruments around for young organists to experience.
    By the way - this thread passed 300 posts. Is that a new record? This is clearly a topic that should be further addressed in Sacred Music and at colloquia. Hint hint. Indianapolis would be an excellent place to do that, with the instruments around town.
  • A good tracker action allows you to control both the attack and release of each key (fast or slow, and an infinite range from legato to staccato.

So the speed of the key fall under your finger as the palette opens, admitting air to the pipe and the speed at which you release key pressure can be heard by the listener in the way the pipe sounds as it begins to sound. And the speed at which you release the key at the end of the note also affects the release sound?

Does the steady state heard by the listener while the key is depressed sound the same every time, or does the depression of the key alter the steady state as well?
  • CharlesW
    And of course, the congregation hears every nuance - NOT!
  • Here's how you get more people singing on pitch,and a better parish music education for your parish school: hire licensed, degreed teachers, and pay them a living wage that makes it feasible for them to focus on one job only.
  • CharlesW
    I totally agree. Given the basic cheapness of the Catholic parishes, you will most likely get someone who knows little about traditional music - at least that was the case here. The teachers are degreed and licensed, of course, but they seem for the most part to have studied nothing sacred written before 1970.
  • francis
    Was anything sacred composed after 1970?!
  • "And of course, the congregation hears every nuance - NOT!"

Well then why bother with the Cleveland Orchestra or New York Philharmonic. I mean, they're good - but I'm sure that the Erie PA orchestra - which is professional - or the Birmingham, AL one, or whatever, is just as good. After all, if it's professional, what's the difference? The little nuances? Yeah, I'm sure the average concert goer hears all that and "gets it" - NOT!
  • CharlesW
    Nuances in organ playing are always good, but other organists hear and appreciate them most. Folks who go to orchestra concerts pay to attend and want to be there. They tend to listen more closely. I think there is a lot of tuning things out with Sunday mass crowds who would prefer to be elsewhere.
  • chonakchonak
    Was anything sacred composed after 1970?!

Oh, sure. In Eastern Europe: Pärt, Górecki (related to the famous hockey player, I'm sure :-) ).
  • CharlesW - I disagree strongly. In my experience, it's the musicians other than organists who hear the biggest difference. A good friend of mine is a professional conductor, and told me that she doesn't like the organ because everything sounds 'the same' (no sense of beat hierarchy, shading etc). She likes my playing because she says that those things come out properly. Too many organists have forgotten how to listen for beat hierarchies and accents in their own playing.

Respectfully, I don't think you've studied tracker touch since you left university. There have been some amazing research developments in recent years, that demonstrate composers up until the 19th(!) century, used touch to shade their playing. It was only the invention of electric action that killed off this approach. For a start, read Jacques van Oortmerssen's 'Organ Technique' (available through GOArt, Sweden). Then, listen to William Porter and attend some his masterclasses. It will all become very clear.
  • CharlesW
    I think you misread my posts a bit. Musicians, particularly organists, likely hear much that the congregation is never aware of. Musicians are trained to listen, non-musicians are not - as a general rule. There are exceptions.

Every piece of organ music was not written with tracker touch in mind. All of us don't want to play Frescobaldi on three ranks. In reality, modern trackers are better built and more easily playable than many historic instruments ever were. Newer materials and better engineering hide the fact that many old instruments were pains in the neck to play. Then there were the assistants needed for registration, air supply, etc. I can see why many greats in the organ world were glad to be rid of all that. Now back to the Frescobaldi on three ranks. Is that a staccato marking or dirt on page three? That will need to be parsed, argued, and explained in great detail for three hundred more posts.
  • donr
    I don't know if I quite agree with you CharelsW. In a way you are right about musicians are more discerning than non-musicians but haven't you ever been to an amature concert, they are playing the same notes as the professionals do but they don't have that pulse, the dynamics, or the GROOVE of the piece, so to speak.
    I think that is more Palestrina is talking about.
    The more variation (or feeling) you put in a piece if music the better it sounds.
    The PIP doesn't know why it's better they just know that one organist plays the music better than another was does.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I am mostly referring to congregations, not concert audiences. I have heard some pretty impressive "amateurs" and also some youths who could have banged on garbage can lids, or "Zildjians" as one of my fellow students called them years ago, with great parental approval and acclaim. It depends on many factors. Generally, the years of practice and performance of a professional shows through.

But back to trackers, I have played some older and historic instruments Some were great, yes, but others were not responsive, fast, or capable of very precise touch. I know that each organ is a custom work, and unlike any other. I have to wonder if modern instruments built with better materials and better engineering, cause some organists to over-articulate beyond what the composers would have recognized or been capable of.

• I don't know, Charles. I've played on numerous instruments from Bach's time and the generation before Bach, that are exceptional in their sensitive actions. If they are well maintained, they still work great. There's no reason to expect that old=clunky or unresponsive.

It's interesting that Bach's go-to home practice instrument was a clavichord - an exceptionally subtle and sensitive little instrument. In which pressure on the keys does indeed alter the tone (in addition to nuances of attack and release) - the player can add subtle vibrato, similar to a string player.

However, to answer Choirbook's question the nuance on a tracker organ is limited to attack and release. While holding the note, you can't add nuance.

Oh, and one other thing - someone made a point about earlier repertoire benefiting more from tracker organs, and I think that is valid. Some of the more pianistic/virtuosic French Romantic rep (while I would still prefer to play it on a tracker) is less dependent on subtleties of touch. However, play any ornamented Baroque chorale or French Classic piece with intricate ornamentation and you will understand the importance of the immediacy and direct control a good tracker gives you.

Merry Christmas everyone, and whatever instrument you have play it well today and tomorrow!
  • CharlesW
    Happy Christmas to all, and to all a long and exhausting night! LOL. Then there is tomorrow with little sleep in between. By tomorrow afternoon, I will look back and think it was worth every minute, but will be glad it is over.

One of my favorites from The Wenchoster chained library.

http://www.dioceseofwenchoster.co.uk/hymnal/hymnstore/HM&A54.htm

• So the advantage to the control a tracker gives you is the control the way the pipes sound only in the instant while the key falls as you begin the note and then later, when you let go of the key?
  • CharlesW
    Attack and release is pretty much it. Not much of anything happens in between except air rushing through pipes. Of course, you could always do weird things with sliders, but don't go there. ;-)
  • From what I understand it can be very helpful in creating a soupy legato touch.
  • What do you hear during the attack? Does the pitch rise. the volume increase? During the release does the pitch fall? In what stops is this most evident, especially the release?
  • Kathy
    (Have you stopped beating your wife?)
  • CharlesW
    You must not have met Mrs. Jones. She would win that confrontation!!! ROFL
  • Merry Christmas, all!

CharlesW, I'm afraid that I have to disagree again about 'advances' in tracker touch. Early instruments are quite alright. The Silbermann that I played a couple of weeks ago was so sensitive that I really had to work hard to control it. It's a different kind of touch, which will feel very strange to people who aren't used to it, but it's certainly not any less sensitive than a modern action, and is usually more sensitive.

Congregations may not be able to tell you the difference that they notice, but they will notice something. It's a bit like Eliza Doolittle getting taught to speak by Dr Higgins. She identifies his way of saying something as 'more genteel.' I have found that by working with the beat hierarchy properly, I have been able to lead congregations much more effectively. I hear far too much playing where one cannot tell which beat of the bar the organist is on, which doesn't make things easy to sing with at all.

Look up Van Oortmerssen and all the references to touch in the writings of Romantic organists. It's not just about playing Frescobaldi - it's about playing anything musically. My old organ teacher used to refer to playing without differentiation in touch as rather like listening to somebody without any teeth trying to sing - All vowels, no consonants! He was right. Although fingerings change depending on the period and works concerned, the principles associated with articulation on tracker organ stay the same. There's too much playing out there with too many stops and not enough understanding of how to use them!! You mention that not all music was written with tracker organs in mind. I'd put it to you that all music is written with the idea of making music in mind - phrases, hierarchies, melodies. It's the organist's job to make the music appear. If all the notes are treated the same way, how can these important structural elements be brought out? Simple answer is that they can't. So even if a piece wasn't written with a tracker organ in mind, tracker instruments can still help to bring out the important elements of the work in a way that an electric action organ simply cannot.

Noel, the only times that one can control the note are in its beginning and end, so you can hear a very sharp "on", such that the constant pitch is reached quickly, or something slower, where it gradually blooms, and also a very quick "off", where the note is cut off straight away, or allowed to cut of in a way that is basically a decrescendo. There are also all sorts of degrees in between, so you really can create a beat hierarchy etc. I still haven't had any time to go through YouTube recordings, so please give me a few days to come up with a suitable pair for comparison.
  • It will be important to hear the same instrument played both ways, to give a fair change to compare and understand how this sounds when playing solo voices and the plenum.

So attack is controlled within the time it takes to press the key down or release it, say about 70 milliseconds...otherwise it might sound as if the player is just late in attacking the note, right? Or is there more time for the key to pass from the off state to the fully on state?

The crescendo then lasts just for that amount of time and the decrescendo about the same, but none of this affects the steady state of tone as it plays the note, correct?

I'm trying to understand how "an infinite range from legato to staccato" can fit into a rather finite amount of time given by the key travel of a fraction of an inch on keyboards both modern and baroque.

"A good tracker action allows you to control both the attack and release of each key (fast or slow, and an infinite range from legato to staccato."

• I'm not sure that I can promise you the same instrument played both ways, Noel, but I'll try.

Yes, you're right: it's all in the way that the key is pressed down and allowed to come up. Sometimes this does involve some micro timing changes too e.g. leaving the key a demisemiquaver earlier than notated to allow more space before the next beat. This doesn't change the touch on the release of the key though.

Rather than listening for the micro details, what I advise is listening to the music - is it easier to hear beats, phrases, shapes etc? The answer is invariably yes. It's not about some set of rules without reason, but rather in allowing the organ to truly sing. Learning all of this through my old teacher stands as one of the most important moments in my development - a true moment of change. Trying to understand each of the possible positions/movements/timings is rather like trying to do the same for jazz - Ultimately very frustrating. We know it's there, but trying to create taxonomies really isn't a great idea. There are some brilliant organists out there who set a good example of touch variations - Try William Porter and Jacques van Oortmerssen for a start. Probably best to listen with scores.
  • This is a comparison of playing actions ONLY. Compare the pair: one is tracker and the other is electric. I'm making no comment about either player's interpretation, actually. JUST the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vohG88Mj2f4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OT9jnr4zAc&list=PLVa9w4QfZBkv7iDYlOFBxtPRTJzaEEfTy
  • Merry Christmas to everyone

Rather than listening for the micro details, what I advise is listening to the music - is it easier to hear beats, phrases, shapes etc? The answer is invariably yes

I am not entirely clear about just how effectively we are separating a number of related but different qualities in this debate regarding tracker vs assisted actions.

In general tracker action has usually been associated with a genre of organ which typically owes more to the baroque than the romantic. Is this apparent clarity of shape in the music due simply to the type of action or the way the instrument is designed and voiced and perhaps because these instruments are more commonly played in places where these qualities are prized and which may tend to have more sympathetic acoustics?

Barker levers and other systems were invented for a reason - straight trackers become impossibly heavy on large instruments; delicacy and refinement of touch are much harder to realise consistently when you are required to apply a touch measured in pounds rather than ounces for a long period. I do wonder whether fatigued fingers on a tracker will invariably produce a better result than relatively fresh ones playing on an assisted action.
  • CharlesW
    Have you noticed tracker players invariably have longer left legs from reaching for the lowest note on flat pedal boards?

Yeah, those subtle tracker articulations can seem to disappear into the background noise on large instruments.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    tracker players invariably have longer left legs

Wise guy. This can now all be explained in terms of natural selection.
  • CharlesW
    A mutation enhancing the organism's (organist's) chances of survival.
  • This is a comparison of playing actions ONLY. Compare the pair: one is tracker and the other is electric. I'm making no comment about either player's interpretation, actually. JUST the action.

Possibly you could explain what you perceive as the difference?

Hear we have one instrument with microphones closer to the pipes awhile the second has been recorded at a distance from the pipes, so the audio carries more of the development of the sound of the organ in the room than the first.

The difference in sound here does not reflect on either organist or organ nor the action, since action has nothing to do with the acoustical properties of the room that the sound of the organ resonates in.

The only really valid way to show a person who knows nothing about this subject as well as the expert, which I've been told I'm not, is to hear the identical organ played with electric action and tracker organ action by the same organist, giving us a chance to actually hear the limitations of modern actions over tracker.

In this case, I prefer the sound of the first instrument because of the microphone placement but for all we know the second organist may be outplaying the first organist but microphone placement was chosen to favor the room ambiance as an element.

Rather than listening for the micro details, what I advise is listening to the music - is it easier to hear beats, phrases, shapes etc? The answer is invariably yes

The comparison of these two instruments shows that close miking makes it easier to he beats, phrases, shapes and more, but does not show the organ as heard by the congregation, but rather the people in close proximity.
  • CharlesW
    I think you have to hear instruments live to make comparisons. Recording technology is good, but can still mess with the end product. Of course, the second organist is more attractive to look at, and the organ has a larger and more useful music rack. Have you noticed some trackers have dinky music racks? Why is that?
  • Noel, it's not a matter of microphone placements. I can see where you're going with this now, and I'm going to refute it now: subtle articulations are not lost in the acoustic. An organist who understands the technique also understands how to vary it according to the resonance of the building. The type of comparison that you want is not available via YouTube. I've given you references to the materials which will make the differences clear so, if you really do want to understand what makes tracker and electric actions different, I'm afraid you'll have to put in the reading and listening time for yourself. To do any less would be like trying to get somebody on these boards to explain semiology to you, post by post.

Eccles, this idea that tracker owes more to the Baroque than the Romantic is untenable, given the number of fine mechanical action organs that exist from the latter period. Not buying the argument about electric actions being needed for larger instruments, sorry... Have you seen some of the larger organs by Schnitger and Silbermann?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    I am leaving the house in 10 minutes to play the non-tracker Schantz (oh no, God forbid) with the large music rack in a reverberant room with two second echo, and with a choir that invented the term, "attitude." LOL. I will get through it, somehow.

Merry Christmas to all who are playing/singing/conducting tonight. Best of luck to all for successful concerts and holy masses. Remember the faithful departed tonight. There is an old superstition that God is especially generous to them on Christmas.

Break a leg!
  • I think that this discussion has stagnated. Neither side of the argument is going to convince the other, and both have begun to pick at every little detail of the others arguments. I am concerned that this has ceased to be a healthy discussion of the merits, as it appears that both sides have been heard, but the issues have not been resolved. The following question must be asked: what are you seeking with your arguments? Are you seeking knowledge, deeper understanding of the subject? Or is it more personal, such as winning the argument for the sake of winning? I think much of the latter has begun to happen. So, for the fact that I am concerned that this has become a waste of everyone's efforts and time, I urge the proponents of both sides to ask themselves the following question with the goal of coming to a resolution: what are you looking to achieve? I also urge you to understand that essentially you are arguing over opinions, which are rightly under the control of their respective owners and therefore do not have to change, even in the light of insurmountable evidence that "proves" the contrary.
  • The claim of superiority of tracker action permitting exact control over the opening and closing of the palette be the reason that trackers are superior to other organs is a great claim and may very well be true.

The claim that it permits "an infinite range from legato to staccato" is suspect, since the difference between legato to staccato is the exact amount of dead air between two notes playing.

This is not an opinion, this is the stated fact why trackers are superior, and people who do not understand this fact are at a loss to explain it to others. What happens then is that a tracker is purchased or not purchased by the priest based upon the fact that the reader here cannot explain to him what this is all about.

If this is a waste of your time, hit delete. DO NOT READ THE POSTINGS. But do not prevent those who want to learn from learning.

If I tell you that the glue on this envelope is gorilla glue holding together Tyvek and that it will sustain any damage that the US Post Office can do to it and your documents will arrive safely with the glue holding the envelope together, then you may ask for proof. You want to understand and seeing is believing.

Everything that is being claimed here can very simply be proven and documented very simply through sound and pictures. The only proof we have gotten is from two dissimilar organists playing two dissimilar organs on youtube.

The true issue is this. The superior control trackers provides is during the very quick, momentary movement of less than an inch of a key. Tracker action does permit the organist to choose during that very short amount of time whether the pipe will sound immediately or delayed with a gradual pitch shift and volume change.

Is this a reason to buy a tracker over an organ with a different type of action? If people are able to hear and see what this difference is, they will be informed... and also able to judge whether or not it truly gives "an infinite range from legato to staccato", on their own.

If you wish to stop this discussion and stop people from hearing and seeing what this issue is, I suggest that others post that it be stopped or not....if they feel strongly one way or the other.

As proof of my sincerity that this is an educational discussion, I suggest this as a good starting point for someone to get started understanding tracker action:

http://faculty.bsc.edu/jhcook/orghist/works/works12.htm#video

Before anyone gets the idea I do not like trackers, I spent my first 6 years playing back and forth in Catholic churches playing a Robert Morton Theatre Organ and a Jardine tracker - both of which were enjoyable to play.

Here's another great link:

http://theatreorgans.com/wurlitzer/relay/
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • It just sounds to me that the question of why a tracker is superior has been asked and answered several times on this discussion. Some say it gives superior control over the attack and release, which is properly something that can really only be felt by the organist, which in turn allows him or her to make what they believe is a better performance. That is quite clearly a matter of opinion. Others say there is no difference, and still others say that because there is no PERCEIVABLE difference for the untrained ear, the expense is not justifiable to a parish.

How then is the decision made? It seems to be about preferences, and that again is clearly a matter of opinion. In terms of whether or not advocates of tracker organs are going to guarantee that organ playing as an art form will die: I do not believe that is true. Why? Because even though they advocate for that type of organ, based on a preference, even when that preference can be supported by performance practice precedent, and also by academics and experience, the organist will play whatever instrument is provided, whether it is tracker, DE, EP, or some other action that has not been invented yet. Why did I play on an old Hammond that I could not stand? Because it is what I had available to me. If all a church had was a digital organ, I would play it, because the service should be more important. TCC, I'm all with you on the argument that diverse types of organs are indeed acceptable, as I have played many fine examples of each. I leave you with that olive branch, as I highly respect you and your intellectual discussions. Merry Christmas!
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • Here is an excellent video for those that want to know more about trackers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZ2a4IgE9M&feature=player_embedded
  • CharlesW
    In reality, I have never worked for a church where I could oversee a new organ installation. In an instance or two, I was able to make some refinements to an instrument and correct some minor problems, but that is all. In every case I have had to play the instrument the church had. I didn't worry about what type of action it had. That was generally the most trivial of my problems.

What I want is three ranks scaled for Royal Albert Hall with tracker action. This would allow me to properly interpret and articulate the Recto Tono Fantasy in F Sharp. I think that was written by MatthewJ. Not sure about the composer but it sure sounds like one of his works. What hath Matthew wrought? Being short of leg, I could use the extremes of the flat pedal board for leg lengthening exercises.
  • If Moller hadn't gone bust in the 1990s, I think that a lot of smaller churches would have continued to buy their little unit organs. I know a few people here would disagree with me and absolutely hate these instruments, but they were a sort of middle-ground between buying electronic and a tracker action pipe organ. At least the sound was still made from real pipes!

On the purchase of organs, a lot depends on the parish priest and the congregation. Many congregations don't care much about the sound. That's why in one parish I regularly play, we're still using a clapped-out Hammond C3 that was donated some 40 years ago. The sound is terrible.
  • francis
    chonak:

Well, I was being purple text on that one, but yes, of those two I am aware. I am not much for minimalism. I think i preferred Taverner to those two, all though I truly like Part's beatitudes and other of his more motetish type works.
  • CharlesW
    Yes, HM, those little Mollers were perfect for the smaller churches that otherwise would have bought electronics. I know some folks knock them, and they were never concert hall instruments, but they filled a need well enough.
  • hartleymartin, with due respect, what kind of experience are you speaking from? You have shot from the hip for most of your posts here, so I am disinclined to take anything that you have said in your most recent post seriously.

ClergetKubisz, the argument can only be reduced to 'preference' when electric action advocates have processed the most recent scholarship on tracker action and touch. Until then, I strongly disagree with the points that you have made.
  • donr
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    I have been following this debate with great attention.
    Personally I am intrigued by the differences.
    Let me ask this question; is one organ harder or easier to play for newbies such as myself?
    In other words which instrument is easier to learn on?
    Will the difference in a tracker vs electric make an amateur sound any worse?
  • CharlesW
    Is one organ harder or easier? Probably not, although non-trackers can have more conveniences, such as programmable crescendo pedals, and combination actions.
    There are the "stripped down" (Amish wannabe) trackers with nearly everything mechanical, and the "pimped out" trackers with electric combination actions, etc.
    Making an amateur sound worse? No, only practice makes amateurs sound better. That's true for all of us. Find an instrument that has a sound you like, and work with it.