Pipe Organ Purists are guaranteeing the demise of the pipe organ.
  • donr
    Ok so I am not an organist and I don't play one on TV. My wife has her BA in Piano something or another and has needed to play the organ at Carthage College for her degree. We do have a young man that has an organ (Allen I believe) in his bedroom at home and plays pretty well. I would say that we do not have the expertise to pick an instrument or a builder.
    No one in my church (besides our 2 priests) would care either way if we had an organ and if it were not for me being on this thread AND having witnessed a very beautiful choir and organist at St. Anthony's of Padua on 13th St. in Milwaukee, WI and here in Phoenix at St. Mary's Basilica and because of this forum. I might not even have the passion to have a pipe organ. So I joined the building committee and contacted the Organist Guild, and the APOBA and the Organ Clearing House. I have received phone calls, e-mails and packages from around 8 different Organ builders from around the country and Canada.

I have no clue who would be best. I am going to attend a concert at a Scottsdale are Luthern Church that Berghaus is putting on in January but I still would like expert advice on which company would be best.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • doneill
    In the Phoenix area, I would recommend visiting the Richards and Fowkes organ at Pinnacle Presbyterian in Scottsdale, and the Paul Fritts organ at Arizona State University. If the sounds of those instruments engage you, that will go a long way toward informing a decision, and both of those builders are very much alive and well.
  • CharlesW
    Attend the Berghaus concert. There is only one of their instruments in my town. It isn't large, but is a good instrument. Listen to as many brands as possible. Some you will like, some you probably will not. When you narrow your list, talk to the companies, and listen to instruments those companies have built. Talk to the organists and ask who their technicians are, then talk to them, too. They can tell you about maintenance costs. Organ Clearing House - you can get some fine older instruments, but they are already built. You either like them or you don't, but you could save some money.
  • ghmus7
    I'm sorry, but I have never been fooled yet by a digital organ. I can always tell the difference. It's just not the same, no matter how much the marketing and publicity Insists that a digital is just as good. And, I have heard and played the most up to date and whooptido ones available.
    I really don't care what people think, everyone can like whatever they want. but I wonder, why are so many famous organists pushing people to recognize digital organs?
    The truth is, that there is money involved, and I hate how the digital companies have practically destroyed the market for pipe organs with their crap. Yes, crap.
    They are a rip off. Can't we be honest about this?
    I sometimes wonder that organ builders should have copyrighted their pipe sounds.
    Don't you think it unethical to record a pipe organ builder's sounds such as Aoelian Skinner, or C. Coll, and sell them as your own work, without acknowledgement?
    isn't this just wrong?
    Ok I'm done too.
  • The best organ builders, digital and pipe, are ones willing to walk away from situations in which it is obvious that their instrument, no matter what it's made of, will not be effective, respected and treasured by the organist.

There is so much hate, jealousy, rudeness and unpleasantness from organists that professional, qualified organ consultants and sales people will walk away from situations that are doomed to failure.

What happens then? Then you are left to deal with organ builders that are willing to deal you on your terms, no matter how short-sighted, misguided and faulty they are.

And, doneill, thanks for the wonderful, positive advice you have given. A breath of fresh air!

• So we're all just jealous, Noel? No, I think you'll find that the reason there is such strong opposition to toasters in this forum is because they're musically inferior. Plenty of hate and rudeness, sure, but not much jealousy. Take the extent to which these have been expressed as a measure of the dissatisfaction that electronics have been giving the organists who play them.

The scenario you present about organ builders that are "willing to deal [with] you on your terms, no matter how short-sighted, misguided and faulty they are" could never happen with a toaster salesman, could it? I mean, really?

Let me provide some "positive" advice (again): don't buy a toaster, buy the real thing. Be prepared to buy something that is small, simple and well-built, and adjust your repertoire accordingly. No, it won't have 50 billion different sounds, but what it will have is a few very fine ones. If you understand how to use the playing action properly, you'll find that they're more than adequate. Frescobaldi didn't even have second manual. Neither did Tallis, Cabezon or Pachelbel (in many cases). The number of nineteenth-century composers who wrote for organ OR harmonium shows that their repertoires are adaptable for smaller organs. Organists who constantly want yet another stop have usually failed to come to terms with the ones they've got. Better to spend time learning how to arrange hymns (as the German church music degree students do, to the point where they can improvise perfect harmonisations at services) and perfecting the art of being an organist.
    Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • For the US anyway, I've heard that Hook and Hastings, Casavant, Reynolds, Kimball, and Goulding and Wood are all reputable names. I also realize that some of them dont produce new instruments but if you find them on the clearing house, you can usually go with their product. The nice thing about the clearing house is that they will re voice the instrument when they install it.

Oh, and even though some people dislike their organs, I've played many fine Wicks instruments in my area.
  • redsox1
    Speak with a reputable pipe builder first. Find out your options. Yes, it's expensive, but it is an investment for the long-term future. Digital instruments, while they have their place in certain circumstances, are almost always quick fixes. A fine pipe instrument, big or small, is a wonderful legacy to leave future generations, and it shows a real commitment by a parish to the art of sacred music.

In four months, we will begin the renovation process of the 1935 Casavant in our chapel. We are makings some additions, such as a Great Mixture, Tromba 8 (that goes down to 16 in the pedal!) plus a new Tuba, all in the style of the original instrument. The solid foundation of a well-built instrument allows for its successful renewal and for these additions. This organ has a wonderful history and it promises an even more wonderful future.
  • Chevy, Ford, and Kia are known and "reputable" car builders. So are Mercedes, Lexus, and Infinity. Ford won't take your money and leave in the middle of the night and their cars have been known to be good workhorses, running to the 150,000 mile mark or more. But would you put them in the same category as Lexus?

As it is with cars, so it is with organs. You have builders of workhorses and builders of fine instruments. Everyone must understand this. "Reputable" doesn't mean much.

And there's nothing at all wrong with a workhorse; but people do need to be informed of the subtle distinctions.
  • I'm sorry - there is no such thing as a "digital organ builder". I have no hate for digital organ builders; I simply do not acknowledge that this professional category exists. In the real world, we have pipe organ builders; and people who sell elaborate synthesizer/speaker complexes that somewhat imitate the sound of a pipe organ from a distance, for untrained ears. These folks do not build instruments; they build speaker systems that imitate instruments. I'm sorry if I've hurt the feelings of anyone who devotes their life to the art of approximating real instruments through sampling and speakers. There is a real expertise to this endeavor, of course, but it's different from the art of building pipe organs.

As far as builders of organs, to reply to donr, I would also suggest contacting Kimberly Marshall at Arizona State - St. Albans winner, extensive experience on historical instruments, etc. Local organ professors can often be your best allies, as they have both knowledge and an interest in seeing more excellent instruments go up in their area. Of course, you have to be careful that the organ fits the needs of your parish, rather than just adding to a "bouquet" of academically interesting organs around town.

And as with anything else, there is the top tier, a lower tier that it still good quality, an iffy tier, and a tier to avoid at all costs. Most people would rank the top tier in America today as: Fritts, Pasi, Richards & Fowkes, Taylor and Boody. A second tier (still good quality) would probably include Cassavant, LeTourneau, Andover, and others. You can go into more detail parsing the builders into different categories. But there is often not as much price difference as you would think between the tiers - maybe a difference between $40k/stop at the top, $30k at the next level, and often $25k or more for not-great builders. Better to have a smaller quality organ, than lots of stops from a lower-quality builder.

• The hate level increases...
  • No hate, just a pragmatic assertion that a digital sampling and reproduction via speakers of an instrument's sound is not the same thing as the instrument itself.
  • Kirchenmusik is correct: there IS no such thing as a digital 'organbuilder'. These people do not build organs, they assemble organ synthesisers, simulacra. I have noticed that some of these people have recently advertised themselves in The American Organist as 'the world's favourite organbuilder' (or very similar words). What a charade. What a deception! What crude presumption! There are laws that state that there must be a certain percentage of milk or cream in a product for it to be advertised as 'ice cream'. There should be similar laws to protect the unwitting public and the organ world's integrity from such blatant deception and presumption. No pipes, no wind = no organ.

For some it seems to be a legitimising factor that the more people there are who 'can't tell the difference' the greater the existential equality of organs and organ simulacra. This line of reasoning is as immoral as equating organs and their imitators, namely that if you can fool people there is, then, no categorical distinction of worth or integrity. So, as it has always been, the legitimacy of organ simulacra is a presumed one based on the presumption that people can be made fools of, and if they can be made fools of then then falsehood is the equal of truth, and what is and what isn't are ontologically and morally equal. I'm sure that Aquinas would have had fun with such ratiocination!
  • CharlesW
    I would say that Casavant, Letourneau, and Andover can build instruments as good or better than those builders in that supposed "top tier." Those supposed tiers are emphasizing some stylistic rather than construction differences. Remember when the 60s top tier was based on building screeching mixtures and rattling flutes in imitation of supposed historic instruments? Take those supposed tier differences with a grain of salt. All of those builders are good and can produce fine instruments.
  • redsox1
    Let's not forget Fisk and Dobson in that top tier. Be careful-you're paying ALOT of money for the names in that top tier. If money is no issue, go for it. You will have an instrument of great distinction in the organ world. I would be a little more practical in my approach. And as much as I love mechanical action, there is an added premium with building that action. There are also space and placement issues to consider with mechanical action. A good slider action (preferably Blackinton style) will prove to be responsive and reliable. There are many fine builders who will serve a parish well and are more affordable. I would highly recommend Goulding and Wood, Lively and Fulcher, Patrick Murphy and Assoc., Nichols and Simpson, and Quimby. All build fine instruments. And, don't forget about the Organ Clearing House in consultation with one of those builders!
  • CharlesW
    All good companies, redsox1, and I am not wedded to mechanical action. With some organs that have both electrified and mechanical consoles, I hear the mechanical rarely gets played.

However, I think any organist now playing a Hammond, is not going to complain if you give him a Letourneau. He won't say, "I am so depressed! This Letourneau does not have authentic simulated Schnitger wood in the case. I can't stand it!" Any organist with the Hammond would consider himself blessed to get any instrument by those builders we have both mentioned. Some of our perfectionists get way ahead of themselves.
  • CharlesW, I think that you're being a bit unfair. I can see exactly why kirchenmusik has put some builders in that top category. You have indicated repeatedly that your preference is for electric action, and so you'd probably be the first to admit that you might not be the first person to contact if someone wants to evaluate the sensitivity and expressiveness of a tracker action. It's not your thing and that's okay. Nonetheless, while you might not feel any difference in the categories, other players might.

Also, a fine playing action didn't die with Arp Schnitger. Although my personal preference is for classical organs, I feel that an instrument of any era should still have a beautiful, sensitive action, and know of nineteenth century instruments that supply just this.

Nobody's getting ahead of themselves with perfectionism here. We're just recognising the differences in instruments. My philosophy (as has probably become clear) is that sooner or later, you WILL run out of stops. Inevitable. If changing registrations is your only way of creating variety, of course you're going to want a whopping great instrument - there's no other way that you can play expressively. If, however, you can create variety with your very touch, then it's hard to grow tired of even a handful of stops. I've played for hours on two separate flute ranks, and am looking forward to more time on that particular instrument very soon. :)
    Thanked by 1doneill
  • CharlesW
    I don't totally disagree with you, I just think some get a bit too picky when many of our Catholic organists are playing really sub-standard instruments, if they even have organs at all. Also, some of our most nitpicky posters are playing electronics. Go figure that one! Any of the organs, EP or M, by those good builders would be a big step up for them.

Some of the instruments I have personally enjoyed most, btw, were 19th century American organs. They are generally beautiful. I have a small 50s Schantz, (scaled to rattle the timbers) but if I were to get too "expressive" with hymn playing, the pastor would ask me to curtail my creativity. LOL.

Just an added side note: My personal philosophy is that I will play what I have as best I can.
  • Plenty of things would be a step up, sure... My philosophy on this is actually not to be overly picky. Provided that the scales are good (ie. it fills the building) and it has a decent enough playing action, that's enough! If the parish can afford something super expensive, that's delightful. If not, they have my alternative (which again... shameless plug here, is to become a pilot project. Anyone wanting in on this should PM me).
  • For those new to all of this, it is helpful to understand that church organists are among a very small group of musicians who do not have to buy their own instruments.

Organ building in Europe requires training and licensing following rigorous exams. As you can see here, in the USA it only requires internet access.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I just keep looking at the thread title and thinking, "Maybe we should all become FOLK MASS PURISTS"
  • Gut string players only, need apply. Fingerpicking with natural nails - no synthetic nails or metal fingerpicks. Unfretted banjos and gut-bucket basses....strung solely with real guts. Penny whistles must be made out of real pennies. Only certified Salvation Army tambourine players accepted.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW ZacPB189
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oops, missed this one in the censorship purge....simulacra failure.
  • CharlesW
    And none of those fancy shmancy amplifiers, either. God's hearing was not damaged by listening to too much Metallica. Wish you could say the same.
  • Actually, Noel, you've forgotten about all the other musicians who don't buy their own instruments... Violinists, cellists, violists... You know, the ones who play those $1 000 000 Strads that they have on permanent loan from philanthropists. Pianists don't play their own instruments either - at least not in public! I've seen some sterling attitudes towards stewarship among the organists in this forum.

How can you possibly justify installing a toaster in a church when the same church can have the real thing for the same price or less? And don't tell me it can't be done because I've done it repeatedly, and now looking at an instrument that can be built from scratch to compete with toasters. How, in the face of that, can you ever justify installing a toaster in a church?
  • CharlesW
    Just curious, Palestrina. How much do you think that proposed instrument would cost to build?
  • I am aiming for a price in line with the cost of a low to mid-range toaster. Before you choke, let me explain that there are certain production processes that can be streamlined, and that I intend to make use of recycled pipework. Heck, that was good enough for Schnitger... ;)
  • There's a tremendous amount of misinformation here, share some more with us, please. This is excellent training for young priests, to be able to get an inside look into the mind and thinking of organists.

Synthesized sound? Synthesizers are so 1970's,

Toasters! It's great hearing that old swear word again, thought it had died out. Reminds me of a wonderful MAC screensaver with winged toasters gliding across the screen I had. I miss it.
  • Yes, you're right: it is a good training ground for young priests. Hopefully they'll learn something about stewardship while they read this thread. I'm still waiting for a justification for a toaster when a real instrument can be acquired for the same price or less.
  • Actually, Noel, you've forgotten about all the other musicians who don't buy their own instruments... Violinists, cellists, violists... You know, the ones who play those $1 000 000 Strads that they have on permanent loan from philanthropists.

There are very few players who are lucky enough to get to play such instruments. Maybe a few are provided by philanthropists but the majority are by investors, who see rare instruments as a financial hedge.

Organs are not something that appreciate, obviously otherwise investors would be begging to buy you one for your church!

Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • You're right: there are. So from an economic standpoint, it actually makes more sense to invest in an instrument that more players will get the opportunity to enjoy.

As to depreciation... that depends on whose instrument, really, doesn't it? It also depends on your valuation methods. Good luck getting a little Italian organ from the seventeenth century for nothing! I'm yet to see a toaster that's appreciated in value though...

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question...
  • I'm still waiting for a justification for a toaster when a real instrument can be acquired for the same price or less.

Really, there's no reason to get....nasty. Come up with a contract to build a pipe organ as you have described, for the price you are promising as well as a financial bond that will guarantee the completion of the project - which is a requirement among reputable organ builders today - and post it here - we'd all like to have a look.

The bonding requirement came out of the failure of a number of companies, due to financial problems, leaving churches without new organs and no way to recover the loss.

And then there is the rumor factor. "So and so sold an organ to XYZ Church, he took $38,000 and the church never got the organ." The person who was maligned handled this in a very gentlemanly manner, saying: "Get the name of the church, please."

That killed the rumor.
  • Given that I've done it repeatedly, it is possible. I'm not posting them here because I'm not about give out my contact details in public.

All it requires is prudence, planning and determination.
  • So from an economic standpoint, it actually makes more sense to invest in an instrument that more players will get the opportunity to enjoy.

The Bishop says, "You want to spend $__________ on a new organ?"

"Well, Bishop, it's always been my dream to buy an organ so that organists can enjoy playing it!"

It is possible for a pastor to be demoted to assistant. In an instant. In the twinkling of a toaster.

Seriously, few take people seriously who use derogatory terms about women, racial groups, food, or church organs.

Or anything. Look it up, it's a fact.
  • CharlesW
    Guys, let's not get so personal on this. We are not each other's enemies!

In reality, one may take a job where an electronic is in place, and the parish is unwilling to spend money to replace it. If you want the job, you will play what they have. If you do have the means to get a new and better instrument, give thanks! Unless you are the modern incarnation of E. Power Biggs or Virgil Fox, you may not have the status to demand a better instrument. This is the real world, and let's face it, Catholic music is often the bottom of the dumpster, not the penthouse suite.
  • BTW- if Jackson uses that $2.00 word, "simulacra," just one more time...
    I swear everytime he's milked that esotericism some poor infant cries out in hunger and a dad has to get out a 1:00am bottle!

Of fine scotch. Single Malt.

• CharlesW
    I think God kills a cat every time Jackson uses that word. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. I hate cats! They make me sneeze.
  • Only if the pastor failed to explain that in the long term, the church was actually making a financially sound decision. Basic finance calculations: if you can get an organ for the price of a toaster, and can also show that the net present value of replacing toasters every 10 years is higher than acquiring an organ that will last a century or more, your bishop will see the logic. Some church assets simply require a high, one-off payment. Altars, pews, stained glass. All not cheap.
  • CharlesW
    One of the things I have learned is that pastors and business schools are complete strangers to each other. How else to explain all the parishes deeply in debt with no idea where the money went? Business logic doesn't get across to clergy who have no understanding of it.
  • ...which is why they're in debt in the first place!

I just sit down with them and explain if necessary. Initially, they're a bit shocked to hear that they'll be in a better financial position by making the more expensive up-front decision, but most come around. You just explain it in the same way as you would roof renovations... Cheap company = same job in 10 years.
  • chonakchonak
    I like the idea of scaling back the rhetoric.

It's not really necessary to say a dozen times "You people are playing fake instruments" or "You people are unreasonable fanatics", but that's what the rhetoric does.
  • I just refuse to call these contraptions "organs". If simulacrum apparently isn't acceptable either, although I actually thought that was fine. Ecclesiastical synthesiser, church electronic keyboards, take your pick... Not an "organ".

Rhetoric was the first shot fired in this thread, incidentally, by labeling people who advocate pipe organs over other devices as 'purists'.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    Go for "contraption": that's not so offensive. :-)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Purist fussbudgets!

Next thing you know people are going to start claiming that e-cigarettes aren't really cigarettes and bitcoins aren't really money.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Comments removed by author, unqualified to participate. Forgive impetuosity from all perspectives.
  • E-cigarettes are not real cigarettes. Which is precisely why you can smoke them in public.

"Electronic organs" are not organs at all. They are synthesizers.

I play one, for the next two weeks anyway. If I'd not been fortunate, I'd be playing it a lot longer. I did my due dilegence and stepped up when I could, informing the pastor that to buy another synthesizer was in no one's interest. He agreed and we got lucky.

If it's the best you can do, then it is what it is. But let's not call it what it's not.
  • Electronic speaker-keyboard assemblies may be assembled by good and holy people, and they may fill a genuine need. However these [insert non-value-laden term here] ...machines...are not pipe organs. I don't think that counts as hurtful or overblown rhetoric! It does seem pretty insulting to say glibly to the builders and players of ANY instrument that an electronic sampling and speaker system can equivalent to their instrument. And if they have a problem with that, they are "purist" fussbudgets or snobs. Which I think was the original intent of this thread.

This whole discussion is actually quite important, as it touches on major investments in church music that will have ripple effects for generations.

And just to clarify, there are many excellent builders in the world - not the extreme top tier, but excellent. The very top tier, to my mind, is for churches that have a major donor or excited bishop and want to make a major statement in their choice of an organ.

Thanked by 2Palestrina doneill
  • I must admit, being told that a technician could "voice" a contraption really annoyed me...

Voicing is an art and takes years to learn, and to equate the delicate task of voicing a rank with manipulating sound samples, well...
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • dad29
    and bitcoins aren't really money

I suppose Federal Reserve Notes ARE "money"?

Ben Yanke is right. The Church has spoken about the instrument: it should be a pipe organ.

By the way, I'm well-acquainted with a 'digital' organ. Only 2 speakers, both hanging on the wall behind the altar. The manufacturer suggests at least 8 speakers, running throughout the nave.

It's not an ideal situation. But the parish DID invest beaucoup bucks in their kitchen!
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • Howard Johnson was right in Blazing Saddles, too.

The Church has spoken about the instrument: it should be a pipe organ.

So, I just checked. In this diocese there are two pipe organs, and the rest vary between Sim-simi-sicula-chrons and pianos. Some with two legs, some with three legs and some without strings, which make them blenders.

Where'd the Catholic churches go, since these do not follow the instructions of the church?
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz