Pipe Organ Purists are guaranteeing the demise of the pipe organ.
  • Kathy
    Charles, you've caught me in a contradiction. Fair enough.

I still wish I could find some eggnog.
  • CharlesW
    Eggnog is good, although I usually have penitential dark chocolate during Advent and Lent - a legitimate fasting food in the east since it doesn't contain dairy.
  • Thank you for all the commentary, everyone. Frankly, I didn't really understand exactly what CCB was trying to say for most of this thread (and I will allow for poor reading comprehension on my part as a possibility).

Especially after Adam's post, I think his point is this:

We should have very high ideals indeed, but you also have to make decision which hill you are willing to die on. He argues that it's not this one.
  • Kathy
    I think CCB was saying, please consider buying one of the digital organs I represent. (I've been holding this in for a while but it's probably time to go ahead and say it.)
  • CharlesW
    He can clarify this if I am wrong, but I don't think Noel actively works for Rodgers anymore, since that was some years ago when he had an attachment to the dealer here. He is more a free agent/publisher/organist/director/consultant these days. He does have industry contacts he can connect a prospective buyer with, but then he would have after all those years in the business. He is just as likely to connect you with the Organ Clearing House as with any dealer in digital organs. He knows nearly everyone worth knowing. LOL.
  • CharlesW
    Given the general tone of this thread, I am enclosing a link to passive aggressive Christmas presents for forum-ites to simplify shopping during this season of stress and anxiety for musicians.

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart-spending/passive-aggressive-christmas-presents?cm_ven=msearthlinkcf
  • francis
    Charles:

Once in a great while I play the Rodgers (Roland C-330). It replaced a 1970 Baldwin (we used to call them radios) now upgraded to a Simulacrum. It was installed in Holy Rosary Parish (about 150 miles from my home), so it is not too often I am out to play it. IMHO, It's the best smelling plastic rose in the business!
  • CharlesW
    I worked in a Protestant church that "upgraded" to one of those Baldwins, which they bought when a local Baptist mega-church bought a new instrument. They had a Hammond before the "upgrade" so I suppose I was a bit better off. I watched some of the videos you posted from time to time, and I was almost sure you were playing a Rodgers.

When I bought my home Rodgers some years ago, the dealer offered me a "good deal" on 6 ranks of pipes that would be an add-on to the Rodgers. After buying the digital instrument, that much extra for pipes was more than I could afford.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Comments removed by author, unqualified to participate. Forgive impetuosity from all perspectives.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • I think CCB was saying, please consider buying one of the digital organs I represent. (I've been holding this in for a while but it's probably time to go ahead and say it.)

Hope you feel better now, finally letting this out. Will respond after I get done laughing.
  • Sorry, still laughing and almost choking, you may have done me in! I'm still not beating my wife, if that's next on the agenda....
  • TCJ
    Hm.

"Pipe Organ --> Digital Organ"

In a way I agree. Who here knows that the > means "greater than"?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Ok, Kathy, LOW BLOW.

This is not the first time in this discussion that a person decided to say what they thought I was thinking. I do hope that this made you feel better.

Now your answer. Unfortunately, I am not authorized to sell organs to anyone in this group, as I am not an agent, employed by, or work for any company.

I do designs and presentations as a freelancer. I am never been employed by an organ builder, was a dealer/representative for a company until 18 years ago, decided that was not the life for me and have refused to do it again.

I'm just like the purists who fight tooth and nail to get you to only consider ONE THING, the thing they believe in. You've got to admire their conviction. But it is also possible to be convinced that every Catholic church should have chant sung in it. I think everyone in this group would agree. Many are convinced that it HAS to be Gregorian Chant. Our good friend Chris McAvoy believes that OTHER chant needs to be recognized and has merit, and he's right too...because he's not telling you NOT to sing Gregorian Chant

But we all want chant. Even you, who wants hymns.

I am violently opposed to purists who only want a tracker pipe organ in a Catholic Church. Because they are damning all other Catholic churches to an existence where organs are not heard.

We do not do this with Chant.

Why do we do this with the Organ?

For many years organs that did not use pipes - first reed organs, then amplified reed organs, then Hammond mechanical/electric organs, Analog Oscillator organs and finally digital organs. People who buy them do not of this because they do not want pipe organ sound. If that were true, they'd buy pianos.

Their lack of interest in a pipe organ can have many reasons. That's been explored here already.

Churches who otherwise for any reason could not have an organ, the finest instrument for accompanying chant due to its sustained tone and smooth attack of many of its stops, turned to instruments that are played like an organ is played, no matter how angry the purists feel about that. They've already covered that, too.

Some people thought these instruments that look like and play like organs also sounded like organs. No intelligent salesperson EVER says this. I'm lactose intolerant. Butter makes me sick. Margarine and I are buddies. I'm not fooled, I know it is not butter, but I enjoy the heck out of it, as do people who like hearing the organ playing. They may no know if it is pipe or not, they just enjoy hearing it.

Why take away the enjoyment because "I know better and that's not a real pipe organ."

I'm doing a lot to baking of bread (the bread in 5 minutes a day kind) and I enjoy it. I could just sit and complain about not being able to have butter on it with strawberry jam, or I can use margarine.

Should all lactose people eat dry toast because IT'S NOT REAL BUTTER?

Back your comments about me:

If I were offered a paying job involved with a builder or company representing a builder I respect, I'd consider it, a regular paycheck would be awfully nice. Day to day relying on consulting gigs in the economy is not fun. If that ever happens, I will need to add a disclaimer to every post: I receive compensation from ___________________ which may or may not influence my comments just as you do when you recommend a hymnal which has your texts in it. It's the right way. I'd do it and I am sure that you will too.

I'm not 'cause I'm not. Not beating my wife either. Any more questions?

Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    FNJ:

Thanks for your comparison of butter and margarine, but I have to say that I don't believe any human being could or will ever have an allergy to the sound of a tracker organ.

I would also add that because I believe a tracker is the best option for any and all churches, I do not exclude situations where a digital can or might be introduced. (i.e., we consulted together to put a Roland in Wyoming and accomplished the goal! Thank you.) However, I believe the Roland is a short term solution. A tracker should eventually be installed! After all... the Roland is simulating the tracker. The next logical step is to actually get one!
  • I entirely agree with what is being said above about churches and organs.

At a Catholic conference in July I had to make do with an Allen Digital organ... because the other options were a piano and an old harmonium.

At the final mass, in a local parish church, the options were either a 2-rank unit organ that barely worked or a 2-manual Allen.

Last year, I had real pipe organs (although mostly electric action) at all the venues I played. Everyone was equally happy with the music at both conferences. Would it have been nice to have a real pipe organ everywhere? Certainly. But if it isn't practical or possible, then you make do with a substitute.

At the moment I'm town between two parishes. One wants traditional music, but only has an old Hammond, the other has a lovely 2 manual, 17-stop 140-year old English Pipe organ, but is proving to have some resistance to traditional hymnody. Oh the dilemma!
  • ... and in the former church, I may have to pray for a lightening strike or some other misfortune to occur before they will replace the 40+year old Hammond.
  • TCJ
    ... and in the former church, I may have to pray for a lightening strike or some other misfortune to occur before they will replace the 40+year old Hammond.

Don't get your hopes up. Where I play the organ is 50+ years old. Lightning did strike. Then the firemen came with their hoses and waterlogged the old thing. An answer to a prayer? Some people thought so... until the church decided to keep it instead of replacing it.
  • francis
    I will take the Hammond for jazz!
  • Kathy
    Noel,

I hope that all of us pray for each other, particularly regarding our music jobs, that we will all have regular and dignified work in the Lord's service.

This conversation has been, from the very first post, too heated. When people are talking past one another and calling each other names, it often happens that there are various biases or needs that keep them from thinking objectively. "My sister was hit on the head by a tracker organ when I was five" could be one bias. "My uncle is a travelling bellows repairman" could be another. "I just can't eat butter" could be another--though I agree with Francis that there probably isn't such a thing as tracker action intolerance.

A much different problem that is ongoing on this board--has been here for years--is the problem of the ideal vs. the compromise necessary in local situations. In that case some people's demons seem to emerge with extraordinary explosiveness. "So what you're saying is that I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH." No, actually, no one is saying anything about you. Why are you taking this personally? We are talking about what is best, not about you at all. Yes, if you take the next step and compare this particular ideal to your situation, you probably could improve. Yes, there may well be reasons for not improving in your particular situation, or there are different priorities that you have. And the reason why you ARE GOOD ENOUGH is because you are the professional designated as competent to make these judgments in your particular situation. No need to get all holier than thou or defensive or attacking others' religious devotion, for Pete's sake (this has happened several times on this thread) just because there is a standard of competence in the profession which you don't meet. Everyone has standards they meet or exceed, and standards they're still working on, or standards they just ignore for now because the priorities at the local situation cannot accommodate excellence in every single area.

Some people's reactions in this last area are so strong that if you didn't know them better, you would think that they are probably just relativists. But I think it is actually much more nuanced than that and has to do with belonging to a community.

Anyways, since I can't find eggnog and because Matthew Meloche's recipe is too complicated, I raise a glass of Campari to Christ and to all and wish you a merry Christmas and a blessed and prosperous 2014.
  • francis
    and besides... no one has asked me what a corbiculum is!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Comments removed by author, unqualified to participate. Forgive impetuosity from all perspectives.
  • Kathy
    But, at some point, as you pointed out, our rhetoric is bound to betray us and divide us inexorably, miserably. And that is the reality I've feared for CMAA since I joined.

Charles, I don't think our rhetoric is bound to betray us and divide us, inexorably, miserably. I don't think that at all. It hasn't so far despite the many thousands of torpedos that have shot through the water from all sorts of strange directions.

I do think that attempts to police our "family" that arise from fear of its dissolution will tend to be overblown, defensive, and even insulting, as your own posts on this thread show.
  • overblown, defensive, and even insulting, as your own posts on this thread show.

This is very sad. It embarrasses me that I started a thread that caused this to be shared with us. Please forgive me and, Melo, please kindly ignore the comment from Rome. You are a big person and I must, at this point, evaluate my involvement here, for I have little interest in hurting people or causing them to be hurt. Please do not leave this group, or even think of it, you bring way too much light and hope to so many here.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    This is not addressed to anyone in particular, but to a generic "you."

I think a big problem is that your "ideal" may not be mine, or hardly anyone else's for that matter. Those standards are fuzzy and are often driven by ideology rather than practicality. If everything were ranked on a list with one being ideal and higher numbers less so, life would be easier - and dull. Your ideal may work in your situation and surroundings, but not so much somewhere else. The unfortunate thing is that some who do the most talking about "ideals," may not be able to accomplish those ideals themselves in their own places.
  • Let's all take a deep breath and remember that we've got parish churches that have music programs which need to be attended to. Few places are ever going to achieve the ideal (that is why we call them "ideals") but we need to all find a way to strive for the best that is possible with the available resources.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Take pity on me... the Mass I just did had:

1.) O Come Emmanuel
    2.) Hail Mary, Gentle Woman
    3.) One Bread, One Body
    4.) I Love You Lord
    5.) A New Heart for a New World

My preferred program would have been more like:

1.) Rorate Caeli (English)
    2.) O Sanctissima (English)
    3.) Let All Mortal Flesh
    4.) See Us, Lord, About Your Altar
    5.) Veni, Emmanual (English)
  • donr
    I didn't take anything on this thread as bad but extremely important to the work that I am trying to accomplish. There is no way with out this thread and a couple of others that I would be pushing my parish for a new or used PIPE ORGAN. Because of this thread I was able to go into our building committee meeting yesterday and explain why we want an Organ at all. I always knew the church holds the organ in high esteem. But when someone said "There is no reason why we couldn't just use the Yamaha keyboard we have now, I was actually able to come up with an intelligent response. To what an organ is, the difference between a tracker and electric action, and digital organs.
    This thread has helped me immensely. Fighting and everything!
    The passion shown here in all camps is not a bad thing but a good thing.
    It shows that people care, about their craft and do not want it to fade away.

So CCB thank you for starting the thread and all who have responded, thank you.

And thank you Conak for not closing this too soon.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Kathy it takes 15 minutes. IT IS NOT HARD.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

Make your eggnog.
    Drink it.
    Repeat.
  • CharlesW
    Holy fast not over yet! No eggnog! Is outrage!!!
  • kevinfkevinf
    This conversation has been, from the very first post, too heated

And you think it is heated here? When these discussions happen on organists fora, it can get really heated. This is mild compared to what I have seen in those groups. At least it has been mostly civil here. And the discussions have had merit. Many of these devolve into ad hominem attacks and name calling and other pejoratives.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oops, another one missed. Original content removed as I'm unqualified, and obnoxious and disliked like the patriot John Adams in 1776
  • Kathy
    There was mutual respect being exhanged.

There was, for my part. I'm sorry if you can't see it.

I repeat for about the 20th time that it would be a good idea to postpone contentious topics until after Christmas.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oops, another one...
    Comment removed. Unqualified to comment and guilty of bad timing.
  • Kathy
    You weren't insulting me, Charles, when you said, "Do you not have an ounce of compassion?" Or "Lord, is your world so small?"

• Kathy
    Or, "you demonstrate all the criteria of an organ snob. I had expected more sympathy for us is RealCatholicLand. My Bad. Of course, you're at xyz, where putti and extravagant vestry are S.O.P."
  • This is mild compared to what I have seen in those groups ... Many of these devolve into ad hominem attacks and name calling and other pejoratives.

I need to know which fora these are, and then I need to go make some popcorn. It's better than watching town meetings on small-town public access. Well, almost better. Those are some of the best reality TV that exist.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Umm ... for organic purity ... could we all pipe down a bit, please?

I've been following this thread with interest as well as from my own perspectives and past experience with organs and organ building ... but I've also been disheartened by the immense amount of talking past one another and on to personal, often immutable agendas, bordering on the rancorous. As of now, I'm glad that I haven't jumped into this fray, for it gives one pause to wonder just how ones viewpoints might be construed, however charitably they might be offered. And that is sad.

Each of us deserves respect from the others, but that also makes it imperative that each of us show respect to the others. The argument that it is worse at an organ forum doesn't mean that we should try to make things worse by emulating that other forum. It is not our place to join them but to be church musicians with our focus on the needs of our own church.

Eggnog or mulled cider or whatever suits your fancy ... raise a glass in happiness, camaraderie and good cheer to the coming Nativity of Christ.
  • francis
    I also war against the personal insults, slurs, slander and gossip here, (but always behind the curtain. No need to embarrass a colleague publicly. Go private with those issues and resolve them as best as possible.) We are Christians with differing opinions. Let those opinions stand without having to feel like one needs to shoot them down. That is only a sign of personal insecurity.

CHG and others have expressed it well. Our posts should stick to the topic at hand, and when one does not agree with said perspective, there is no need to sling mud. Take a deep breath and voice your own opinion if you must, but keep personal remarks (either direct or indirect) out of the content.

Here is how I examine my own rants: (I am hoping this might help some here in some small way)

"If I hit the "POST COMMENT" button, my post, (for the most part) should never need to be edited, removed or changed. It should not bring embarrassment or shame to me or another if left on the board permanently (or even short term). It should always reflect well on the CMAA. If I find myself failing on these points, I am posting something inflammatory, unkind, uncharitable or just plain unnecessary.

If I am at all hesitant or questioning myself whether or not to hit the "POST COMMENT" button, it is a gut reaction that I should pay attention to. DON'T POST YET. Save a draft and come back tomorrow and review it again. Nine times out of ten I will delete the draft and move on."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We live in a post-modern culture that advocates progressive obsolescence.

A parish that purchases a simulacrum over a custom-built, hand-crafted instrument ignores several things, not the least of which the issue of good stewardship. As anyone with the necessary knowledge will tell you, if you amortize the cost of a pipe organ over a simulacrum, the short-term savings in purchasing a simulacrum is quickly lost when the instrument has to be replaced because, as with any electronic device, it begins to lose integrity from the first moment it's turned on.

Also, a custom-built organ is the work of human hands, each one crafted to uniquely suit the space for which it is built and shot through with beauty and integrity, infused into the instrument by every single set of hands that touches it in the process of designing, crafting, installing, voicing and tuning. As with every other aspect of our Liturgical spirituality, I think we should avoid anything that is chosen for its utility. A digital instrument is nothing more than a sophisticated computer operated through a controller designed to look like a musical instrument while possessing few of the true elements of an instrument.

Remember, too, that the Church always earnestly desires that which is truly beautiful. I think there's something false (and again, utilitarian) about opening up a brochure and picking a "console style" that houses all of the electronic component parts used to artificially produce a sound that is merely an imitation, a shadow of the original, a sham.

When I approach an unfamiliar pipe organ, it is an transformative experience, as no two pipe organs are alike. If, however, I walk into a church that has a Rodgers 950B, I pretty much know exactly how it will sound and behave, depending on how the "voicer" (computer tech) has programmed the "effects" of reverberation and other acoustic behaviors otherwise not truly present in the room itself, again creating an artificial effect.

Otherwise, a pipe organ, playing in the space for which it was designed, working in cooperation with the natural environment, being played by someone who both understands the artistry required to produce such an instrument as well as play it, is far and away more beautiful than any utility anyone can advocate, even for "financial considerations."

Once again, a small, one-manual instrument, properly designed and voiced and beautifully crafted to be unique is a glimpse of the perfection of God's creation. An electronic simulacrum is a fraudulent, hoax-filled mockery of that same perfection.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • A parish that purchases a simulacrum over a custom-built, hand-crafted instrument ignores several things, not the least of which the issue of good stewardship.

While I agree with the principle, the reality for small parishes is that pipes, second hand or otherwise, will often be out of reach. A small digital can be purchased for a few thousand dollars - the cost of installing even a few used pipes is typically several times greater.

The issue for a parish of a couple of hundred souls may often not "pipes or digital" but "digital organ or piano and/or guitars".

Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Then I would choose piano.

In addition to my parish, I'm the director of music and liturgy for a religious community. Upon my arrival at said community, the "instrument" was a digital keyboard capable of producing organ/piano/string sounds. I sought to get rid of that and instead chose a beautiful Knabe grand piano, the same make chosen for years by the Metropolitan Opera for how it blends with the human voice.

I'll take that over and electronic organ/piano whatever any day.
  • the same make chosen for years by the Metropolitan Opera for how it blends with the human voice.

Free pianos to the MET in exchange for using the MET as a reference. It was a business deal that saved the MET money and got the Knabe into a niche market that distracted people from comparing them to Baldwins and Steinways that dominated the concert halls, and convinced people who did not know better that they were better for supporting the voice.

They were lovely pianos, but were lovely at everything, not just supporting the voice. It was a fantastic marketing move that you have to admire even if you do not like the pianos.

But pianos suck at accompanying chant and metrical hymns with a congregation, unable to produce support throughout the building unless heavily amplified and then sound like ÜberPianos! That's why Baptists almost always use piano and organ on hymns - the organ to support the sound, the piano to provide the evangelical beat....and flourishes.

And before anyone accuses concert pianists of only using Stein and Bald because S&B paid them to play their pianos, that's bull, too. S&B agree to make their pianos available to artists - but artists had to pay delivery and tuning. In exchange, just like above, S & B were allowed to show their pics and names as artists.

Composers write for the organ because of the long, singing tone. Composers write for piano for the percussive yet decaying tone...

• Once again, a small, one-manual instrument, properly designed and voiced and beautifully crafted to be unique is a glimpse of the perfection of God's creation. An electronic simulacrum is a fraudulent, hoax-filled mockery of that same perfection.

But, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?

David's been a good friend and we are all entitled to our opinions.

If God wanted all churches to have pipe organs, they would sprout like Kudzu, free for the picking. Why, oh why, has he let us down?
  • CharlesW
    I am a great proponent of pipe organs. But you know, if God wanted all churches to have pipe organs, he would open the wallets and hearts of those cheap pew-sitters and clergy so they would buy them. Don't they always seem to find the funding for nearly everything else?
  • It's important to remember that priests used to control everything - but everything was a church with an organ, furnace, lights....and maybe a microphone but only on the pulpit.

All of these were major expenditures....but are dwarfed today with air-conditioning systems, large audio systems, large restrooms with hand dryers, handicapped access building expenses....carpet in the church instead of durable stone or tile...hearing aid systems, cry rooms, audio for the cry room, missals....

So the business model of the past has changed but no one bothered to educate all involved about this major shift and the need for increased giving to provide increased services to the congregation.

Every person attending Mass should be handed a beautiful missal with ribbons, leather-bound instead of newsprint booklets that they agree to THROW AWAY WHEN THEY BUY THEM.

Non-pipe organs are not the waste of money as they have been portrayed, since few priests will pay for the most reliable of organs, the tracker and instead settle for organs with pipes that also, have a limited lifespan...EP organs can require releathering in between 30 and 50 years that costs the same as the new organ did. Honest organ builders make sure that the buyer knows this and at least one recommends they raise double the $ needed to buy it and put the rest in the bank to be ready when the organ needs releathered. It's not extreme, because too many Eps are abandoned instead of releathered because of the expense. How many? Well, one alone is one too many...and it's more than one.

• CharlesW
    Many EP organs have leathers that have been done in by neglect. One of the things I did, knowing that my church organ had been re-leathered in 1995, was to have the blower room cleaned and filters put on the air intakes. The organ tech also asked that the building be kept at no lower than 50 degrees in winter. Maybe this leather will last longer than the last. I can hope. I hear a lot of folks talk about the merits of electric slider rather than conventional EP. I am not that knowledgeable about ES, but hear it is a better choice for new instruments.
  • francis
    Ultimately, it is up the hierarchy to maintain the instrument. This means that the person in charge (pastor, bishop, etc.) must believe in and value the use of a real instrument. It all begins there. Just as they are keepers of the souls of men, so they must be good stewards and keepers of the house of God and all that the worship of God REQUIRES. When we think God deserves less than the best, and is not willing to make the effort to make sure God GETS the best, then everything is just a downhill compromise from there... and music will more often than not, be one of the first things on the list to suffer from the compromise.
  • Francis: What, then, is a corbiculum? It isn't in my Latin dictionary.
    Is it a small chamber, like a cubicle, in which a simulacrum sits?
    Or is it a cancerous growth on the eardrums of those who have grown accustomed to the sound of simulacra to the point that, though they be trained musicians, they 'can't tell the difference'?

So, now we are scraping the bottom of the barrel with the old 'if God wanted...' non-argument. There is much in this world that God wants for us that we don't get because of sin, deceit, fakery, falsehood, philistinism, niggardliness in his worship and much more of our own willful doing. Being bankrupt for any argument of philosophical or spiritual integrity, the purveyers of organ simulacra now want to rest their case on 'if God wanted...'???

And, those several Brutuses above who tried to discredit what I had said by chalking it up to my service in an historic Lutheran church that ended thirty years ago, or by dismissing it as mere 'high (read too high) standards' have disappointed me greatly.

Lastly, it would seem that Kathy's and CHG's call for greater gentlemanliness in this matter has fallen on deaf ears.

Too, as a footnote, I should add that I do appreciate that many of my colleagues who also have high standards are saddled with simulacra that are not of their choosing or preference, or are saddled with priests and/or people who simply will not share in their enlightened vision. This is as regrettable as it is unfortunate, and in no way reflects upon their musical integrity. Yes, I, too, have played simulacra but have never ever spoken of them as organs, nor pretended that they were anything other than deceitful simulacra, glorified organ synthesisers. Anyone who can't tell the difference isn't listening very well to what he or she is hearing coming out of that battery of speakers. And yes, it's true that many churches simply don't have the money for an organ; but just as often it's not that they couldn't raise the money but that they WILL not raise it for an organ. It is sad that many churches don't factor the cost of an organ into the cost of their buildings (they should), but will only have one if some dowager or local gentry donates the money for it.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • francis
    MJO

Aha

I spelled it incorrectly (above)

It is corbicula, not corbiculum

So sorry

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_basket

I wrote the poem to reflect your excellent comparison of real and fake instruments to that of real and plastic flowers. Hence, 'Where do bees gather?'

You are right to have and shoot for high ideals. You are also correct about our sin and weakness destroying what God intends for us. There is mass confusion (pun intended) and great compromise within the walls of the church, otherwise dubbed the 'smoke of Satan' by our predecessors.

I could not agree with you more on the points you have made.

The world has not only dumbed down the liturgy, sacred music and cheapened the vessels of the sanctuary, (including cheapening the organ and the introduction of profane instruments) but the very faith has been lost.

Recently we were told a couple of Sundays ago that "Jesus is not a judge and will not judge us in the end." Well, this is heresey! We proclaim it every Sunday in the Creed.

Et iterum venturus est cum gloria,
    iudicare vivos et mortuos,
    cuius regni non erit finis.

He will come again in glory
    to judge the living and the dead,
    and his kingdom will have no end.

It is diabolical confusion - plain and simple. We will all be judged, and moreso those who lead souls astray by their harmful teaching.

So I say, keep the faith, hold to the high ideal that God wants for us. Preach Christ crucified, the horror of sin and the only way to heaven that is 'the narrow gate'.

Pax
  • The positive note from this discussion may be the strength we see in those who who are willing to play the instrument that God has given them through his priest and people and over time are able to raise the level of understanding and appreciation to the point where a better instrument has found a home with her or him at the keyboard each week.

This comes about not through deceit nor name calling. These means may succeed but leave a bad taste and those musicians either leave before long or drive those of good hearts away, leaving them surrounded by people who think like them or put up with them, not knowing that things could be better.

The digital salesperson who says "the digital organ is just like a pipe organ" and fails to convey why it is in many ways superior to a pipe organ* is as guilty as those who mislead what the true costs of pipe organ purchase and conservancy are...the anger we hear comes from those who were happiest when digital and electronic organs were but a shadow of what they could be, only suggesting the sound of a pipe organ to the ear in a limited manner.

That digital organs today can show the glory of the pipe organ is a testament to the ability of modern man to strive to do things that they are told are impossible, and prove them wrong. This applies to the pipe organ as well.

The first inventor who used water to power a bellows, replacing man's labor; the first to control pipes with electricity permitting large pipe organs and free placement of them in a building by eliminating trackers; the invention of direct electric™ valves by Wicks, making pipe organs even more affordable, something making Wicks even more popular with Catholic priests.

There are two issues here, but truly just one. These people despise digital organs and many also despise any advancement in the pipe organ that makes it more affordable...insisting that only a tracker pipe organ...even hand-pumped...is the only true organ. The most expensive.

So God wants only the most expensive organ for these people to enjoy playing and leave as their legacy to the church. They are on "a mission from God" and truly believe it. It's a mental state.

*which explains why many reputable pipe organ builders include digital organ stops today.
    Thanked by 1ryand