Pipe Organ Purists are guaranteeing the demise of the pipe organ.
  • CharlesW
    cgz, there you go knocking polyester and burlap. Is nothing sacred?
  • CharlesW, I am working on a project to do just that. Anybody on this forum who is interested in helping out is welcome to PM me. We can set up a private space somewhere online and go through the details. I believe it IS possible, but it will require some effort.

Now, to go out on a limb... This will rattle a few cages, no doubt, but I believe that most parishes can get by for most of the liturgical needs with an organ that has the following specification:

Manual:
    Principal 8'
    Stopped Diapason 8'
    Octave 4'
    Flute 4'
    Fifteenth 2'
    [Nasard if you like -- bit of a luxury, but if you've got the cash, why not?]

Pedal:
    Subbass 16'

Manual to Pedal Coupler. All stops divided at Middle C. Mechanical action.

Now, let me explain the tonal concept:
    - The 8' Principal has a singing tone. The idea is that with the divided stop action, it doubles as a solo voice against the Flute 4' in the bass. Think 'Liebster Jesu' or 'Ich Ruf' by Bach etc.
    - The diapason chorus gets progressively brighter, but blends. The 2' at the top of it should be fine without a mixture. Note: bright, NOT shrieking ala-50s Baroque.
    - The Stopped Diapason should be fairly dark and soft - enough for plainchant by itself. Or perhaps for some Vierne, Guilmant? Combine it with the Principal 8' for something a bit fatter...
    - The 16' on the Pedal... Now, these you don't see every day because not enough builders know how to do them. You want a stop here that is quite happy by itself. It should almost sound as though it has an 8' speaking with it, without sounding like a principal. Basically, that one stop should make the pedal self-contained. And believe, Silbermann did it and we can too!

You can probably see the other tonal combinations for yourselves.

Voicing? Take your pick, really. This is generic enough to work as an American Classic, North/South German, Italian, English, whatever...

Lack of tonal variety, maybe? But hey, play it properly and learn how to arrange hymns, and you'll get plenty from what's there. And as for repertoire, it will still "do" Romantic, and potentially a lot of 2 manual repertoire too. Lots of bang, not too much buck...

Let me be clear: this isn't a chamber organ. It should be thought of as an Great Organ, just without a second manual to complement it. Big scales!
    Thanked by 2Ben JulieColl
  • BenBen
    Sounds like an interesting idea, Palestrina. Best of luck.
  • CharlesW
    Very interesting! Not every church needs, or can afford, an instrument world class organists can give concerts on. That's nice, if you can afford it, but most can't. What you are proposing could work for accompanying liturgy, hymns, and most choir pieces.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • johnmann: "If you are an organist, your opinion is of zero value. You are too invested in the topic to offer objective advice."

You wrote that in purple - I'm not sure you meant it as a joke, given the rest of your comment.

Perhaps, with great sampling and a wash of acoustic that renders a lot indistinct, it might be possible to create a digital organ that sounds exactly like a real organ from downstairs. For the sake of argument - maybe. Still, I have never heard a digital organ that remotely approaches that level of realism. But even if the sound coming out of the speakers was perfect, the action (and thus the playing experience) of such an organ could never be likened to that of a good tracker. And this would be an interesting and useless experiment. It reminds me of the current CGI film making craze, where even everyday and readily available things are done in CGI. I guess to show that we can.

Even if you could sample a perfect cello sound, could you sample the technique of applying bow to string; the interplay of left and right hand; and the infinite nuance that technique makes possible for the music?

Part of the reason that it's important for real organists to weigh in here is that they understand their instrument. The organ is not a binary on-off kind of instrument. Until you understand that fact I suppose samplings and speakers and monumental synthesizers would strike you as just as good.
    Thanked by 2Palestrina CHGiffen
  • Thanks, CharlesW. It'll also do most of the Bach Preludes and Fugues, Frescobaldi, Cavazzoni, Byrd, Tallis, Stanley, Cabezon, Prateorius, Guilmant, Langlais. Small, simple, but if used properly, would give plenty of joy and also serve as a good teaching instrument. :)

And hey, if the congregation falls in love with a smaller instrument, they might be willing to upgrade in 20 years to something larger. If not, there's still a lovely instrument, suitable for the liturgy and hopefully for inspiring a few generations of organists.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Comments removed by author, unqualified to participate. Forgive impetuosity from all perspectives.
  • TCJ
    I'm thinking that this hobby organist might be willing to back off in an effort to save the organ if I'm paid enough to do so. Who knows... maybe blackmail may work? I know that OTHER people get paid to NOT work. :D
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • johnmann
    @kirchenmusik, my sarcasm was mirroring the ridiculous notion that acoustical engineers who aren't also organists, have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Certainly organists know a thing or two about organs. But I find that when it comes to judging minute variations in sound, "experts" are often less reliable than laymen.

You can see this in many fields. The Paris blind wine testing of 1976 put wine experts to shame. They can tell you all about wine but taste buds have physical limits which experts compensate for with imagined distinctions.

And yes, you can digitally imitate nuance to perceived perfection. Perhaps, the misunderstanding is the mistaken idea that binary means nuance isn't possible. String a bunch of bits together and you can express nuance. Is it infinite? No. But again, neither is human hearing. You can get close enough for it to become physically impossible for humans to distinguish. And again, I don't know if such organs actually exist but it's not because it isn't possible.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    When someone tosses that word 'purist' about, dont' listen. Tune him or her out!

That's good enough for those who follow conventional wisdom. Those of us who are utterly beguiled by the idea of being invested with the power to ensure the demise of something naturally want to hear more. How can one become one of these purists of who you speak?
  • francis
    Up until the age of electricity, trackers were all we had (and all we ever needed {or wanted}. I would argue then, that trackers are ALWAYS PERFECT and the BEST POSSIBLE CHOICE for every and all situations. If it isn't then you built a less then perfect building to put an organ into.
    Thanked by 2Palestrina CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Ah, but the horse! Now there was transportation. None of this newfangled Ford and Chrysler for my ancestors. They would have known better if the technology had caught up with them. ;-)

Like most things, technology can be a blessing or a curse. Trackers can be a good choice, but not always the best choice. Building layout, choir placement, and whether or not you have a combination action can be significant factors in whether or not a tracker is the best choice in a specific location.
  • Hobby organist is not exactly a term that honors organists of lesser ability than one's self.

Mozart's middle name, "He who loves God", leads us to "amateur" - someone who loves what he does, and does not do it for money.

There are amateur organists and professional organists. There is no classification for how accurately and musical one plays and there are amateur organists who outdo professionals left and right, since the profession does not pay well.

An amazing number of excellent organists do it as a labor of love, no one does it as a hobby. Unless you are talking about somebody sitting late at night in their den playing a Lowrey organ with auto rhythms and chords with one note music on the stand and a glass of scotch on the rocks in hand....now that's a hobby.

With the large number of volunteer chant choir directors and singers on this list, one would not call them "hobby directors and singers". Neither should we call organists hobbyists. Of course, there was an organist in Frankfurt years ago whose keyboard technique caused him to be referred to (but not to his face) as Thumper.

Of course, Melofluent would also preferred not to be called a hobby guitarist. But i haven't bothered to ask him.
  • francis
    Electronic organs
    are just as novel
    as the spin
    on VII.

They came in
    on a breeze
    and will go out
    with the sneeze.

Look me up
    in a hundred years
    and report back...
    pleaze!
  • I agree that a single-manual instrument with a well-thought out specification of not more than 10 stops can be made to work brilliantly in a church.

My chapel organ at college (seats about 80 when packed out) is a 3-rank instrument, single 56-note manual and 20 hitch-down pedals.
    8' Stopped Diapason
    8' Keraulophon
    4' Wald Flute
    (Shared common bass on 8')

Another instrument I often play at another college chapel (seats about 120 when full) is a single 53-note manual and no pedals at all!
    8' Gedact
    4' Rohrflute
    4' Prinzipal
    2' Gemshorn
    III Mixture
    Really, the mixture is over-kill and I would like the 4' Prinzipal to be a bit less strident, but otherwise a great little instrument.

Yet another organ which I have seen (but not personally played) is one at a larger church:
    8' Open Diapason
    8' Stopped Diapason *
    8' Viola D'amour *
    4' Pincipal
    2' Gemshorn
    8' Oboe
    16' Bourdon (Pedal)
    *shared bass octave

And from all that I have seen and heard a fantastic little instrument which does well at faking being a much bigger instrument.

Personally, I think that an ideal small parish instrument at 2-manuals would be:

Great:
    8' Open Diapason
    8' Stopped Diapason
    4' Principal
    4' Open Flute (shared with positive)
    2-2/3' Nazard
    2' Gemshorn

Positive/Swell:
    8' Rohrflute
    4' Open Flute
    8' Trumpet or Oboe

Pedal:
    16' Bourdon
    8' Gamba

I specify the 2-2/3' and 2' stops as with the 8' stopped diapason they can be used to fake a clarinet sound for a solo stop. I specify the Trumpet/Oboe as this would be useful for fanfare and for voluntaries.

From the past 3 years of playing in various places, this would be the minimum specification I would require of a small 2-manual pipe organ, and it would cover just about all liturgical needs. a string celeste on the swell/positive division would be a nice but not essential addition. the 4' flute can be on the swell only and possibly another soft 2' on the Positive/swell, but otherwise there is little else that would be essential for parish use. A larger church might want to add a mixture, but with the existing upperwork, maybe just a 1-3/5' Tierce would be needed.

Of course, it depends on how well the instrument is scaled and voiced, but the above specification will satisfy nearly all needs in a parish church.
  • My only other comment would be to get either a good digital organ, or a good pipe organ. Hybrid instruments are a nightmare to work with. I've played two in parish churches and they have always been temperamental and riddled with problems.
  • Noel, I don't think that anybody here has said that hobby organists shouldn't play at Mass. What those of us who do this for a living have said, however, is that hobby organists should not be advising parishes about what they do or don't need, simply because they don't understand instruments in the same way as somebody who is trained understands them. The result is hobbyists advising is that every parish "needs" an organ with a full swell, pedal reeds etc, and when the parish budget won't come anywhere near meeting that, they automatically move over to toasters.

The specification that I have provided above would meet the needs of most parishes more than adequately, but somebody that did not understand the instrument properly would immediately quibble over the small pedal division, lack of reeds (deliberate: no reeds = much few tuning visits = lower costs for the parish, as the flues should largely change pitch together over the seasons of the year), absence of a string stop (not realising that a simple manipulation of the stop action could provide an undulating stop) etc, or simply because the lack of 8s and swell box leaves them feeling exposed, meaning that they have fewer ways of "faking" their way through a service. REAL pipe organs are affordable, provided that parishes are REALISTIC. I've seen instances where a hobby organist has prevented parishes from getting the real thing because they've said that the parish can't afford an organ that will meet their needs. Fact is, the parish has had more than enough money for it, and it's just that the organists didn't understand that in place of 4 manuals, two manuals, adequately voiced and scaled and on sufficient wind pressure, would have been more than enough.

There simply is no need for toasters in parishes: either the parish gets a small pipe organ or a reed organ (going for about a dime a dozen these days). That's proper stewardship and musicianship: buying an inferior product that lasts 15 years before providing an interesting assortment of snap, crackle and pop sound effects makes no financial or musical sense.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Unless you are talking about somebody sitting late at night in their den playing a Lowrey organ with auto rhythms and chords with one note music on the stand and a glass of scotch on the rocks in hand....now that's a hobby.

This is also the best way to experience "On Eagles Wings."
  • Kathy
    Finally I'm an organist. A hobby organist.
  • CharlesW
    Hartleymartin's proposal for a small parish instrument sounds quite useful. My pastor maintains that the true skill of an organist (he's one himself) is more apparent on a small instrument than a large one. He has a point, since it requires creativity and ability to pull off some of the literature on a small organ.

"Hobby organists?" Not a good term. I have also heard amateurs that can out-play many professionals. Don't bet on professionals always having an understanding of how the instrument is constructed. Some of them just play but know little of the mechanics of the organ. Let something tear up and they are just as clueless as the average parishioner as to how to fix it. Even some college organ teachers can be mediocre musicians. I have met a few of those. Who is the better organist - the "amateur" who plays constantly changing literature for the liturgical year, or the "professional" who plays the same but tired ten pieces for thirty years?

Electronics? Francis, those electronics are going to outlast both of us. They are not going anywhere, like it or not. Last I heard Allen and Rodgers are still producing instruments, and churches are buying them.
  • CharlesW - I entirely agree with you that it takes more skill to make a great sound out of a small organ than out of a large one. Perhaps the smaller specification is limiting. However, there is still a huge corpus of organ music out there that could be quite satisfactorily played using an instrument no bigger than my own proposed specification.

Remember that 3-rank and 4-rank mollers have done sterling service in many a small parish church. The instrument I propose has all independant ranks (save for the shared 4' flute stop) You may even be able to get a bit more by having the 8' reed split at middle C/C#
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is such a useful discussion, and I'm learning so much. Speaking of Mollers, I just checked out the Organ Clearing House and they have a number of really nice small organs that would be perfect for our chapel. I have my eye on this one.
  • You don't necessarily need to have a degree IN ORGAN to be a professional. There are professional musicians who are parish music directors that I respect whose degrees are in music theory, musicology, choral conducting, voice, or even theology and liturgy (incidentally, rarely does one with a music ed. degree fall into this list). But they know how to play the organ to a certain level of competency.

That is all that is necessary to be a "professional." But the self-taught ones who only had piano lessons through 10th grade and now are music directors? Not professionals; amateurs. And they shouldn't be in charge of a parish music program.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • I agree that "hobby organists" is not a very useful term. I do think there is a distinction, though, between people who have reached a level of mastery in organ playing and understanding of the instrument and those who have not. And it has nothing to do with pay scale or whether you do other things for a living or how many organ degrees you have. I could care less about academic snobbery, as I've heard plenty of doctorate-holders who aren't great players. And competition winners that you would never want to listen to from a musical standpoint.

Are you an amateur, in that you love the instrument and its repertoire? Prove it by learning something about the history and inner workings of organs. Prove it by doing some study of touch - find some masterclasses with different teachers through the AGO or go to an organ academy on your continuing education money. Or join an organ tour to Europe if you've never been. Don't just say "I love playing the organ therefore I am qualified". Now, even if you don't invest time and energy developing your skill and knowledge of the instrument, I am sincerely happy if you are offering your gifts to improve the Church music situation we face today. HOWEVER, please do not take it on yourself to advise your parish or colleagues about organ purchases. That's all I'm saying. And even though I have invested a great amount of time in organ study, have a doctorate, etc., I wouldn't dream of advising on an organ project without pulling together a committee of my former teachers who really understand building and installation. It's just too important for that.

johnmann: "@kirchenmusik, my sarcasm was mirroring the ridiculous notion that acoustical engineers who aren't also organists, have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Certainly organists know a thing or two about organs."

Well, yes organists know a thing or two about the instrument they have spent countless hours working with. Is that a mean or abrasive statement? I suppose that acoustic engineers have something to contribute to a discussion about sampling and reproducing sounds. Is that the same as a discussion about the instrument - the organ? An instrument which produces sound by sending pressurized air through pipes? I don't think so. A piano has strings and hammers. A harpsichord has strings an a plucking mechanism. A guitar has strings. An organ has pipes. All of these sounds can be sampled and reproduced - theoretically, perfectly. But then we are talking about reproductions of an instrument's sound, rather than the instrument itself. It makes all the difference in the world to the player.
  • The very term, "academic snobbery," amuses me as does the whole, IMO false, argument that "a degree doesn't mean that one can play."

As a current student pursuing an MM in a conservatory, I have to tell you that one just does not happen to get awarded a B.Mus. or MM degree when they "can't play." Getting a degree takes work. There are standards. There are juries. There is continued evaluation by the major teacher. There are musicology classes. On and on.

So, yes, I will continue to value those who hold degrees and recognize that they have met objective standards. We can argue over whose interpretation is best or most authentic. Maybe you don't like their playing. But they can play.

Call me an academic snob if you wish; I'll embrace it.
  • Kichenmusik and PaixGioiaAmor - am with both of you entirely. Those who advise on organs really, really must know the instrument... Upside down, inside out, respectfully I say to thee... Cue Diana Ross!

Just as a case in point about why this is important... hartleymartin, I'm sure that you must enjoy playing, but the specification that you've given for your ideal 'parish' organ contains some egregious errors... Let's look at that speccy again...

Great:
    8' Open Diapason
    8' Stopped Diapason
    4' Principal
    4' Open Flute (shared with positive)
    2-2/3' Nazard
    2' Gemshorn

Positive/Swell:
    8' Rohrflute
    4' Open Flute
    8' Trumpet or Oboe

Pedal:
    16' Bourdon
    8' Gamba

Okay, now you said that you wanted the Nazard and 2' on the Great to go with the Stopped Diapason. By doing that, you've basically killed the objective of the Great organ since the blockwerks of the Medieval period: to provide the plenum. There's a reason that the 2' on the Great is usually an Octave or Principal: it caps the plenum properly. So, for the sake of some kind of dubious clarinet effect (which may or may not work), you've just killed the plenum.

Adding a second manual is expensive, for a start. When you do, it should be a defined division with a purpose. I don't see any developed purpose in the second manual here. What's more, there's no tuning stop - ie. there's nothing for the organ builder to tune the reed to - or any of the flues of that matter. No, it won't do to tune them to the Great because the thing's in a box of its own. You've just created a division that could be permanently out of tune.

Duplexing the 4' flute on the Great is pointless because it simply won't match the Great stopped diapason: it must be scaled to fit the Swell flute. So it will never work properly in the position you've given it in the tonal scheme. The Great and Swell flutes can't be of the same scale because the characteristics of each division are different.

I'm also not sure what the 8' Gamba is supposed to do on the pedal. Add to the 16'? ie. some sort of doubling because the 16' is too weak by itself. If you were going to try to beef up the pedal, the obvious thing to do would have been to duplex the 8' diapason off the Great - pretty standard party trick for organ builders, going back ages. So there's a Gamba there which is probably too weak to make much of a dent underneath the Great OD, and also unlikely to be of use against the flutes in both divisions because it would simply be too distinctive for blended trio textures.

What I get out of that specification therefore, is a Great that isn't a Great, a Swell/Positive/Whatever that doesn't actually have any defined purpose, and a pedal division that doesn't make any sense.

Now, I'm sure that hartleymartin isn't alone. On paper, maybe quite a few people here thought that the scheme looked okay. But this is why organ builders and organists who have really studied the ins and outs of the instrument (with reference to historical models) are needed!

Now, my one manual scheme stands. Just a reminder here - Anybody who wants to get in on this project, which is to produce instruments with small stop lists (but a lovely big sound that can fill a church) at a cost that will compete with the eternally ghastly toaster, please send me a PM. If we get enough people together, we can get this thing going, and benefit a LOT of parishes internationally.
  • PGA, I'm one of those with a Mus. Ed. degree. My main instrument in college was clarinet.
  • CharlesW
    It depends. I have a Schantz 2' flute that can sound down any 2' principal, any day. it actually sounds more like a principal than a flute. Clarinet sound wouldn't be a bad thing. I do it often with an 8' flute and 2 & 2/3, or my imitation oboe which is a reedy sounding string with 2 & 2/3. It works! That gamba could add some texture to the pedal if it leaned a bit toward a reedy sound. The bourdon is probably too weak as the only 16', or so it seems to me. Something more like a soubasse would have a little more power, but the bourdon could be voiced for that. It is all a matter of voicing. In truth, you can take any stop regardless of name, and customize the tone. I haven't heard two stopped diapasons that sounded identical, so voicing again would determine its effectiveness.
  • In an instrument of this size, the specification and the justifications given are simply wrong. Any professional organ builder would choke!

I'm not quite sure what the point of this imitation oboe is supposed to be anyway, given that there's a reed on the Swell.

Even if the Gamba does add some texture to the pedal, it seems useless for most of the textures and sounds that the manuals would give. Case in point: Reed on the upper manual, SD on the lower (assuming that it does in fact balance, which it may not), against the pedal... Can't use the 16' by itself, but adding the 8' Gamba against the SD will make the middle voice in the texture quite weird. It'll sound like some sort of duet between the reed and the gamba'd pedals.

As to your Schantz flute, what's it scaled to go with?
  • CharlesW
    I have an MA in Teaching with majors in Music Ed and organ to go with my Library Science MS. They custom crafted that degree for me to fit my objectives. I had as much organ as the non Music Ed people. So, Music Ed folks gather at 4:00 p.m. where we will beat the snot out of the MM folks, hands down! They are a bunch of wussies so it should be memorable. ;-)
  • CharlesW
    The Schantz flute compensates for the principal 2' on the great that is only playable as part of a 3 rank mixture. When we do some rebuilding, I plan to have that principal 2' switched separately so it can be played without the rest of the mixture. They tell me it would be an easy fix.

Imitation oboe? The Schantz trumpet is so powerful it has to be played against full great as a solo stop. The imitation oboe works better with flute accompaniment since it is similar in volume.

Granted, I am viewing this through my own organ more than HM's.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • Yes, which to be honest, I don't think that you should be doing: look at hartleymartin's specification by itself. You mentioned that you have a 13-rank instrument. This is smaller and has defined divisions. It just fails. I'm making a point here about organists trying to advise on organs when they don't have the experience to do so. This, I believe, is why we've been flooded with toasters. I know that the specification that I proposed won't sit well with plenty of organists, because they won't be able to play lots of things that they like. I think that most will grudgingly admit, however, that it does provide the essentials, and if it's a choice between a snap-crackle-and-pop toaster, and something small, simple and musical, they'll take the latter and learn to adjust their repertoire and be creative.

I don't see the point of the Trumpet in your instrument by the way... Too big to be a solo stop or a chorus reed. If it only balances against the full Great, it must be shattering when you put in on top of the mixture.
  • CharlesW
    Don't we all have to adjust to the instrument we have? Hartley's design is no worse than many out there, and with some tinkering could be useful - also true of many organs. Hearing the instrument is the true test, and a good voicer can do wonders sometimes. I also found your proposed instrument to be a good fit for a small church not wanting an electronic. I would rather turn a great voicer loose on a small pipe instrument than try to work wonders with an electronic.
  • Are there good musicians with Ed degrees? Sure.

I'm speaking of my personal experience here: too many music ed people know a whole lot about clapping games and sing songy choruses that rhyme, but give you a blank stare when you ask what their research specialty is, what they know about opera, music and theatre, polyphony, history, what instruments they play, conducting, etc.

My experience and my bias.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • CharlesW
    PGA, I studied music at a Baptist school that has a 150-year-old tradition of producing church musicians. I studied chant, voice, conducting, organ, hand bells, and most anything else that could be used in worship. The Mus Ed degree was simply the best place to fit my objectives, and it only required three more courses than the church music degree. My prof. said, "Pick up the Ed degree so you will always have another career to fall back on if necessary."
  • I should add - I met my son's elementary music teacher during open house recently. I wasn't impressed.

I've had occasion to meet several other music educators from my district as well; in most cases, with a couple exceptions, I've not been impressed.

I HAVE known of the existence of some STELLAR music teachers out there. Unfortunately, I've not experienced their existence to be common. YMMV.
  • Charles, and that was very smart and useful advice.

Nothing against the idea of and ED degree. I'm simply speaking to my experience of those who hold them - and I'm making sweeping generalizations, I realize and admit.
  • CharlesW, my design is actually based on a specification that I've seen used in a building seating 400. Since it's been sitting there quite happily for about 300 years so far without alterations, I think that we can all assume that it's getting the job done, and probably quite well! It's all in the SCALING of the pipework. This is what so many organists forget... It's not the number of stops, nor the wind pressure, nor much else. If the SCALES are correct for the building, the instrument will fill the building. If you look again at my specification, it is essentially a good, uncoupled Great with a few concessions for flexibility. If the Great division of any instrument, by itself, isn't enough to fill the building, the instrument's a dud, frankly.

Organs should not require tinkering after being built, as though they're some kind of Lego project. While we all must adjust to what we've got, we should make sure that we're installing what's best from the outset. HM's speccy fails on paper - I'd hate for it to actually be put up somewhere, and to then go through a billion and one incarnations as different voicers and builders played around with it. Build it once, build it right.
  • CharlesW
    I taught middle school music for a couple of years. We covered notes, harmony, built instruments, visited musical venues, and even studied "Carmen." It was a rural area so I thought that might be the only opera any of them would ever see and hear. It was fun, but then my Library personality and credentials won out in education. The church music is still a job, now that I have retired from schools.
  • CharlesW
    True, Palestrina, get it right if you are there when it is built, and didn't inherit it. Otherwise, tinkering is inevitable. Scaling is critical. I have heard some large instruments with some ranks not scaled properly. They got lost in the background noise. I think those were off-the-shelf ranks which some builders have used in organs for years.
  • I used the stop names off the top of my head, they don't tell anything about the scaling, and of course, it depends on a lot of other factors in the acoustic space.

Perhaps I should have called the Bourdon a "Soubasse" instead. I live in a situation where I play Organs with English, Italian and German naming conventions and I often mix them up. For example, the "Voce Humana" on one organ I play is in fact a Diapason Celeste at 8' and not the usual reed stop most people expect.

Depending on the acoustic space, a 2' principal might be too shrill and harsh and a gemshorn may suit the space better.

On the front of the pedal division, the 16' is supposed to be a stopped wood rank of a suitable scale (bourdon was a rather arbitrary name for it) the 8' gamba is intended to fill out the upper harmonics without overpowering things.

Quite a few English Pipe organs have a 16' Bourdon, 16' Open Diapason and 8' Gamba (or Violone). The two 16s are "Little Boom" and "Big Boom." Of course, many just have the 16' stopped rank and then you couple the great to pedal for the rest.

Use a bit of common sense, and realise that this is a guide/suggestion and the sharing of the 4' flute between the Great and Positive (frankly, I think that the swell is unnecessary) and that an organ builder will best advise on a particular location and acoustic for the sound.
  • lol A "Voce Humana" on an Italian organ is always an undulating stop... This still feeds into what I was saying before. There's a lot in a name...

Whether it's a Swell or a Positive, the problem with the 4' rank remains: the scales of the Great and Positive flutes are necessarily different. You can't just pluck ranks like that and use them between divisions - it makes no sense. And the Positive is still without a tuning rank.

There's also a fundamental misunderstanding here: Given that the instrument is always scaled and voiced to suit the building, how could the 2' Principal ever be too shrill? This just seems like a Lego approach to organbuilding - a bit of this, bit of that. It's what happens with toasters too, funnily enough.

The pedal shouldn't be a matter of 'boom' at all. It should be a matter of supporting the divisions above it, while still having independence where needed.

Please, please hartleymartin, don't advise parishes on specifications. As kirchenmusik has already said, leave that to people with the experience to know. I'm trying not to be harsh here, and I suspect that hartleymartin is one of many similar organists around the place, but PLEASE DO NOT advise on instruments unless you have full, thorough experience as a player, have studied proper historical models, and understand scaling, voicing, wind pressures etc.
  • CharlesW
    Isn't that where and when you call in an experienced organ builder and come to an agreement on what you have in mind, and what is possible given time, money, space, and acoustics? It helps greatly if that builder produces the type of instrument that fits with your worship needs and literature. I could work with many historical types of instruments. Others, I would do my best to either set fire to, or pray for a lightning strike. LOL.

An example. I played a Beckerath believing that where it was built, and the historical principles behind it would mean I would detest the instrument. But you know, it had some really beautiful principal stops that fit the space perfectly. Historical models can be a bit deceiving.
  • I don't advise parishes on specifications other than to tell them that I want a trumpet stop and to consult an organ builder who knows infinitely better than me.
  • Well, that also requires knowing which organ builder to employ, CharlesW, which is why you really do need a good, experienced consultant. What good is an organ builder who has never actually been apprenticed anywhere, for instance? Who has never visited anything outside their own town. They do exist and they know how to bootstrap.

As to "historical", I'm referring to all periods here, so anything from Schnitger to Hill to Ahrend. It also helps if the consultant understands why some instruments have failed: everything from the eclectic organs of the 50s, to the screaming caricatures of the Baroque in the 60s, and of course the ghastly octopods of the 20s and earlier...
  • CharlesW
    I think most of us who have been around for a while know who the good builders are, and have heard some of the instruments they produced. It never hurts to talk to the maintenance technicians since they know how well the instruments are built, and how expensive they will be to maintain.
  • I'd argue that too many organists *think* they know who the good builders are. Unfortunately, the succession of dud instruments I've played around the place shows that a lot of organists think wrong! Best to talk to a proper specialist. I can think of a few very fine players and scholars in the USA who I'd contact in an instant. Their advice is worth paying for!
  • CharlesW
    Yes, but you have to watch organ consultants closely, too. I have seen too many dud instruments based on recommendations by consultants who were just out for the money. We have a few of those in my town.
  • Oh, agreed. Never trust a consultant who doesn't get you second, third and fourth opinions from independent sources. There's a big difference between a consultant and a salesman, and their track record will soon show which one they are.