Pipe Organ Purists are guaranteeing the demise of the pipe organ.
  • "The digital salesperson who says "the digital organ is just like a pipe organ" and fails to convey why it is in many ways superior to a pipe organ* is as guilty as those who mislead what the true costs of pipe organ purchase and conservancy are."

See, this is the kind of statement that got everyone riled up in the first place. If you want to argue that digital organs fill a practical need for cheap, and are better than nothing or better than guitars and bongos, then we can have a conversation. If you actually believe that digital organs are in many ways superior to pipe organs AS INSTRUMENTS (i.e. not just superior because they are cheaper), then I submit, again, that you do not know what you are talking about - and do not understand the pipe organ. And I, again, wish that you would not advise anyone on organ building. Not because you are a bad person, but because it would not be truly helpful to convince priests that digital organs are in many ways superior to real ones.

And to be clear, I am arguing for organs with real pipes over digital approximations. A good tracker is the very top in my book, but electric-action and electro-pneumatic action instruments can be wonderful as well.
    Thanked by 2francis Palestrina
  • The digital organ salesperson who relies on stating something that misleads to convince people rather than plainly stating the differences between digital and pipe organs in a straightforward manner is at fault.

The digital organ is not a pipe organ, otherwise it would have pipes and have the same strengths and weaknesses as a pipe organ. I apologize for not being clearer, assuming that you would understand that "the digital organ is just like a pipe organ"* was not a statement but a phrase that someone might distract and derail from careful study and evaluation in decision making.

There are things that do matter that make, in many cases, a strong argument for careful consideration of pipe or digital, before making a decision. The things that can make the digital organ a better choice for some are audible as well as practical, just as DE action is less expensive to purchase, eliminates the cost of releathering in time and may, in some cases, not be as inspiring to listen to and enjoy playing than a tracker organ.

The following is in purple because the pink of a blush is nit easy to read against this background. But it's not a joke.

*what little I know I have learned from others and I thank them. I have to admit that many years ago, having just entered into organ design and design, I was grilled by a factory person with a digital company, "Why should someone buy this organ?" to which I said "Because it sounds just like a pipe organ." Yes, I did. I said that.

Last time I ever said those words. He turned to me and said, "Never say that. Tell them they should consider this organ because it is capable of more exact control over the formation of musical sound than any other instrument in the world and being digital eliminates the expense of tuning and periodic maintenance."

In the early days of digital organs, they sounded better than many of the analog electronic organs that preceded them, organs that required tuning every so often and that, due to their construction - relying on vacuum tubes that had elements like light bulbs that burned out when they aged as well as resistors and capacitors that changed in value as they aged and could fail as well - wore out in time.

Replacing all that with thousands of tiny on and off switches made digital organs, like everything else digital around us including the clocks in most homes, reliable and long lasting. Just don't forget to change the batteries. Digital clocks don't age and slow down. They just stop and wait for new batteries.

Along with this came the evolution of digital recording and production....which results in digital organs and stops that some find qualified to be used in pipe organs.

It's fine that you have your own convictions. I would not turn down a job playing a pipe organ or a digital organ. That'd be silly.

As far as what you have said about me, I disagree, I'm sure I'm a bad person. But I never convince priests or anyone to make a decision. I cannot make up your mind for you. I present the instrument - digital, pipe or pipe/digital and let them ask questions and then they make up their own minds.
  • Kathy
    Personally I don't think a digital would sound as good on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgAcRn_NFM
  • This performance is just like a hymn made from a chant, putting a beat to it and paraphrasing the text to make it fit.

Sucks.

Belongs in a church with no respect for the music nor the sacred character of the building.

While the pipe organ gently weeps...

The mark of a fine organ is not wondering what it is but loving the sound of the music it makes. Organs are like people, what they do is infinitely more important than what they look like or say.
  • francis
    ...and on that note we conclude this fiery discussion on the organ. :-)
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Okay, let's bring the discussion back to the topic at hand.

If every parish thought that it had the money to buy a proper organ, would we even be having this discussion?

I want to see a real organ in every parish, and have worked hard to get instruments for those parishes that have wanted them. It seems to me that if as much effort had been put into real organ projects as had been put into making contraptions that mimic the sound of the real thing, we'd all probably be a lot better off. Rather than discussing why we should install contraptions on the basis that they are cheaper, shouldn't we really be focusing on what we can do to make sure that every parish feels it can afford the real thing? Economies of scale, automated production processes, sourcing of old materials etc... I believe it IS possible for every parish to have an organ at the same price as a contraption. It won't have a huge stoplist, but it will be enough.

There doesn't seem to be anybody here who would disagree that the pipe organ really is the superior option. As a result, we should do everything we can do make sure that parishes get to take this option rather than one that is clearly inferior. What I've noticed is that provided an electronic contraption is never actually put on the list as an option, many parishes can be persuaded to purchase a real organ.
  • I'd like to dispute the idea that an organ builder making use of digital "stops" is reputable. If I hear of a builder doing this, it sets off alarm bells immediately. Why? Because the builder has basically conceded that they have not succeeded in creating a self-contained specification that is suitable for the building. If it physically won't fit in the building, it shouldn't be there in the first place. The idea of adding electronic stops to a small chapel organ is as ridiculous to me as fitting the Berlin Philharmonic into a high school classroom for a performance of Wagner's Ring Cycle.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • The rudeness calling digital organs contraptions and other terms really should stop.

I was ready to end, as Francis suggested but I have to warn priests and all to avoid:

Homemade pipe organs,
    organs assembled by volunteers from the parish
    and recycled pipe organs even from such very good resources like Organ Clearing House unless they are installed by OCH or a reputable builder with a warranty as well as bonding to protect the church during the building of the organ to guarantee that the organ will be finished or another qualified builder brought in by the bonding company to finish the job.

Pastors over the years have been burnt over the years by do-gooders with the best intentions who think that they can do what professional builders do for a much lower price....and it almost always comes at price that leaves a very bad state in the mouth.

If it were possible to be successful building organs as proposed with used pipes and such, reputable AND disreputable organ builders would already be doing it.

----------------------------------

Major builders use digital stops, friends. Some limit their use by agreement with their organ association, others use them anyplace in the organ. Even tracker builders have used electric action for couplers, pedal divisions and....even digital stops. Don't insult organ builders who are trying to feed their employees and stay in business by applying your standards to them.

There are buildings that do not have enough room for pipe placement that will serve the room. Pipe builders should turn down the job to let a digital take its place?
  • Well, Noel, why have I managed to consistently find instruments for the cost of a contraption* or less? Am I using inferior products? One of the instruments that I consulted on was installed for about $25K and was built by one of the finest English firms of the early 20th century. In some cases, I've obtained instruments for free. In others, the parishioners have helped to move them under the supervision of a professional organ builder. Why shouldn't the parish get involved? Provided that the organ builder supervises, it's fine. Carrying pipes, for instance, isn't exactly something that requires a builder - as long as the person carrying it knows all the obvious things, it all works out nicely.

It is possible to build inexpensively. We just need more organists who are prepared to work with smaller instruments that still do the job properly. Given that I have a background in both music and management accounting (including manufacturing processes and cost allocations), I do know what I'm talking about. I am also commencing a project to ensure that more such instruments are built.

The only standard I'm applying to organ builders is that they should be able to build a successful instrument within the constraints of a particular space and budget. If the pipework that is there is inadequate by itself, the whole thing hasn't been scaled properly to start off with. No amount of electronic contraptions attached to it will make it successful. That's not a bias: it's a PROFESSIONAL standard. It's not a matter of playing action - they can use whatever they like. Basic rule: whatever instrument goes into a building should be self-contained. It won't do everything, but it should fill the building properly. If it doesn't, it's failed.

*Contraption was endorsed earlier and I'm going to stick with it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • If the room is small, the organ has to be small too. I don't think I've seen a situation yet where an organ isn't possible. It just tends to be small. And hey, in a small room, it should be! No room for even a Stopped 16'? (ie. an 8' rank playing at 16'). No problem: ever heard a quinted 16'? (ie. 4' stopped bass with a quinting pipe over it for the bottom octave or less). I have - works wonders in a small space.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The rudeness calling digital organs contraptions and other terms really should stop.

When "purists" get vilified these calls for civility can seem a tad disingenuous. By your account you've already had a good laugh out of starting this tread.

There are buildings that do not have enough room for pipe placement that will serve the room. Pipe builders should turn down the job to let a digital take its place?

Umm, there's no room for pipes, so...something like the local Rodgers with a screaming pipe mixture and a 2' gedeckt from tenor C? In that scenario I'm more of a similacrum purist, but why not a harmonium instead?
  • Try to convince a symphony orchestra conductor to switch all of the instruments over to midi-controlled digital equivalents.

Think of it! No more tuning issues! Every performance would be sonically perfect! The only problem would be if the players played wrong notes. Otherwise, no F Horn players splatting notes . . . no more "uncontrolled overtone accidents" from the clarinets. No more mistakes. Tone, volume, intonation . . . everything perfect each and every time! Dry acoustic in the hall? No need to hire Sorensen to come make revisions to the building, just goose the "hall type" and "reverb" qualities. Voila! You've saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in renovations.

First chair trumpet absent? Just pop in the USB drive with his rehearsal track on it, and you've got a trumpet player!

No more reed players making excuses for bad reeds. No more string players complaining about bow issues or string quality issues. No more brass players leaving monstrous puddles of spittle goo on their risers. No more need for all of that hullaballoo of the "Principal Violin" coming out to go through the hackneyed and overdone ritual of "tuning" the orchestra.

Imagine it, people!

And they'd play to even emptier concert halls than they do now.

How can we, with a straight face, say that digital instruments are the future for the organ, while those sad old ancient acoustic dinosaurs continue to squeak out painful performances to empty concert halls.

Wake up, people! Digital is the future! And for us organists, the future is NOW!
    Thanked by 2Palestrina canadash
  • I agree with you insofar as I despise a hybrid instrument of any sort. If the organ has room for a 16' Open Rank and a stopped rank at the same pitch, one can always go with a resultant 32' - there are not many churches which would require an open 32.

My recommendations are to have either a pipe organ or a digital organ and not to blend the two. Every such hybrid instrument I have encountered was riddled with problems and I will not recommend them.

I know that you disagree with my paper specifications for a small 2-man organ of about 10 ranks, but consider this. You basically need a good chorus of Diapasons for hymns, softer flutes or a dulciana for psalmody, a string celeste would be nice, and a good reed stop (I like a Trumpet) for Solo lines.

I've seen quite a few small English chapel/parish organs which basically have an 8' stopped and 8' open diapasons, 4' principal, 12th and 15th and a 16' bourdon and they work well. Most of these instruments will only ever be used to accompany hymns, chant and play a few voluntaries.
  • Here's what I'd take over a simulacrum any day of the week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrFi542BUCo
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • hartleymartin, my specification provided for most of the things that you suggested, but there are a few issues with yours:
    1. The extra 8' string rank is redundant on your instrument. It's expensive because it's a full-length 8' rank. If you have a small organ, you can get the effect from half-drawing the diapason against a full draw of the string. It will undulate, no problems.
    2. Adding a reed rank is expensive. If the diapason is voiced properly, it will work well as the solo rank. I've seen it in some very fine organs. It's easier for a parish to maintain too - at least all the flues will go in and out of tune with each other at the same time. I'd expect my speccy to need tuning every 3 years or so.
    3. The trouble with your specification was that the second division didn't have any defined purpose.
    4. You don't really need that string rank for accompanying chant or psalmody. That's what the flute should do ie. the string is an optional extra.
    5. The specification I've given will do more than accompany - There's a vast repertoire that can be played on it, from Bach to Buxtehude, to Frescobaldi, Byrd, Tomkins, Vierne. It's a matter of more organists learning to make do with what they've got!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...you can get the effect from half-drawing the diapason against a full draw of the string. It will undulate, no problems.

You can choose the ideal occilation rate for one pitch, but the higher register will be too fast. To play Devil's advocate, the digital celeste rank is the most successful of the imitations on the hybrid Wicks I play. We've discussed it before.
  • Depends on how the slider action is built, surely? Not an ideal solution, but use it in its sweet range and it'll do the trick. Thing chromatic elevation toccatas...
  • Now, to go out on a limb... This will rattle a few cages, no doubt, but I believe that most parishes can get by for most of the liturgical needs with an organ that has the following specification:

Manual:
    Principal 8'
    Stopped Diapason 8'
    Octave 4'
    Flute 4'
    Fifteenth 2'
    [Nasard if you like -- bit of a luxury, but if you've got the cash, why not?]

Pedal:
    Subbass 16'

Manual to Pedal Coupler. All stops divided at Middle C. Mechanical action.

Sorry, had to hunt back a few pages to find it!

I agree with this specification. I reckon that about 80% of Parish churches could get by quite happily with a specification like that.

A Nazard (or "Twelfth") I would consider must-have if you're going to have a 2' stop It doesn't cost much more to have it, or to have it as a prepared-for stop.

If a parish was really strapped for cash, you could have a shared bass octave between the stopped and open diapasons, and have the 4' Diapason and the 2-2/3' stops as prepared-for.

They did something similar (for an instrument extremely similar to the specifications that you provided) at Eagle Heights (Mt Tambourine) in Queensland:

http://www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/EagleHeightsAng.html

A good builder will probably make provisions in the design for it to be expanded into a two-manual instrument. Whether or not this would ever happen is another matter all together.
  • I think that getting rid of the bottom octave of the 8' Diapason is a cardinal sin: it supports the entire plenum, and getting rid of it means that the organ loses all the weight it needs in the bass end of the registers. It's essential for pieces 'pro organo pleno', unlike the Nasard, which only colours the bright 8-4-2 chorus.

Imagine BWV 552 on that organ without the Diapason in the bottom octave. The pedal needs the manual coupled in for that kind of piece (and smaller Baroque organs often had the lower manual coupled to the pedal permanently anyway). That striking motive leading down to the bottom E Flat would sound silly and couldn't match the manuals properly. The lack of a second manual isn't a problem in this situation though - You simply get a fast registrant to alternate between the 8-4-2 chorus and the 8-4 flutes. There are plenty of pieces along these lines that wouldn't work without the bottom octave of the diapason, which really is the most valuable register in the organ. If it's a choice between some extra upperwork and a diapason through its full range, the latter is always the option to take.

I don't think that the instrument that I've proposed really needs provision for extensions either: as I said before, more organists need to make do with what they've got, rather than always wanting more stops. What I've proposed has the bare necessities.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The pure musical joy of a small one manual instrument.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykbZQn0BLw

All that beautiful music, so few stops. More organists should stop trying to make a big noise and focus on clarity. Porter's playing in this video is impeccable. Everything is shaped, there is the most beautiful sense of accent, the harmonic tension is understood, the beat hierarchy is superb. Less stops, more music, please!!
  • We all know what an organ is: it is a musical instrument with tuned and scaled pipes which are made to sound by pressurised wind, and controlled from a keyboard. It has been thus for over two thousand years, since it was (at least legendarily) invented around 300 B.C. by an Aegyptian, one named Ctetibus. No pipes, no wind = no organ. It's actually that simple. Some people don't seem to get this. They seem to resent that electronic and digital instruments which mimic the sound of organs aren't accepted by organ lovers as organs. Well, they aren't organs. They just really aren't. So what if they fool the elect? So the greater is the deceit! They may be cheaper, as would be expected of an imitation. This isn't puristism or ivory tower academicism: it is simple honesty and realism. Such realism guarantees the future of the organ. The makers and purveyors of organ simulacra, organ synthesisers and contraptions are the only threat to the organ's future. In fact, if their makers could guarantee the demise of the organ they would likely laugh all the way to the bank.

I empathise with those who have to play synthetic intruments while wishing that they had an organ. No one ever said that being a choirmaster and/or an organist was often anything other than a labour of love with many hurdles to jump: and few are those who are blessed with ideal environments. Adopting the language of makers of simulacra, however, is not required of those who find that they must make do with an organ simulacrum.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • CharlesW
    I think the greatest threat to the organ's future is the guitar, not the electronic organ. I am no fan of electronics and would prefer pipes any day. However, I would like a 32' stop on the mighty Schantz along with a 16' Principal. There is no room for any more pipes, period. It's not there, nor will it ever be unless we build a new church. This installation is so tight, I have to turn the power off so the technician can crawl across the bellows on his back to get to the other half of the swell chamber. I would accept those two ranks as digital, because the pedal division on the organ is noticeably weak. Purists perish in the flames if they object. LOL.

Organ building is not a wealth generating industry as it once was. I heard someone from Austin say that they were building 100 instruments a year in the 1920s, but now build at most, 10. Established builders, who certainly knew more than the "garage" builders, have gone bankrupt and vanished. It can be a financially risky business.
  • Why wouldn't you get the ranks on the pedal rescaled if they're weak? That would seem to be a better solution than adding contraptions.
  • CharlesW
    Rescaling them would not make thick flutes sound like principals, and definitely wouldn't make them sound like reeds. I am sure they saved money in the 1950s by not putting weightier stops in the pedal, and it has been a weakness in the instrument from the start.
  • My point is if the flute was scaled properly and interacted well with either an 8' principal on the Pedal or the coupled down diapason from the Great, you wouldn't need the extra ranks. I feel I am repeating myself here... Organists need to stop thinking in terms of extra ranks!
  • CharlesW
    I need the extra two ranks. It would give the instrument a bit more versatility. The manuals are more than powerful enough for French toccatas, but the pedal weight and articulation are not there. Remember, I don't play that much wheezy Baroque music. LOL.
  • TCJ
    The first post I had had a nice Kilgen organ -- 6 ranks. My memory of what exactly there was isn't great but I seem to remember:

Diapason: 8', 4', 2'
    Viola: 8', 4'
    Trumpet: 8'
    Flute: 8', 4', 2'
    Mixture: III (I think)
    Bourdon: 8', 16'

I think I missed a couple stops, but it was pretty small. I loved playing that organ and I still think it's my all time favorite for organs that I've played. I learned on a 3-manual pipe organ, but it just didn't have the same feel or personality of the Kilgen. I played a combination Allen digital/pipe that was huge (four manuals) and enjoyed it, but the little Kilgen still blew it out of the water, so to speak.

I think I'd be in organist heaven if I could have that organ to play again. I'd never get tired of it.
  • CharlesW
    I have seen some lovely Kilgen organs. We still have a few in our town.
  • The shared bass octave I spoke if was as a temporary measure until more could be added. In a single manual instrument, I would want open Diapason to the bottom.

Look to the example of the organ I linked in previous post to see what I mean.
  • If every parish thought that it had the money to buy a proper organ, would we even be having this discussion?

I want to see a real organ in every parish, and have worked hard to get instruments for those parishes that have wanted them. It seems to me that if as much effort had been put into real organ projects as had been put into making contraptions that mimic the sound of the real thing, we'd all probably be a lot better off. Rather than discussing why we should install contraptions on the basis that they are cheaper, shouldn't we really be focusing on what we can do to make sure that every parish feels it can afford the real thing? Economies of scale, automated production processes, sourcing of old materials etc... I believe it IS possible for every parish to have an organ at the same price as a contraption. It won't have a huge stoplist, but it will be enough.

There doesn't seem to be anybody here who would disagree that the pipe organ really is the superior option. As a result, we should do everything we can do make sure that parishes get to take this option rather than one that is clearly inferior. What I've noticed is that provided an electronic contraption is never actually put on the list as an option, many parishes can be persuaded to purchase a real organ.

[Admin note: this comment was delayed for a day or so because the system mistook it for spam. Sorry for any inconvenience. --chonak]
  • CharlesW, has it occurred to you that your instrument might not be suited to the repertoire that you're playing? From what I remember you writing early, it is of fairly modest size. French toccatas really require a large instrument with reeds and mixtures, a well-developed pedal division and some registrational aids. Making do with what you've got means that you change your repertoire to suit the organ rather than changing the organ to suit your repertoire. Why don't you look at the music that these composers composed for smaller instruments?
  • hartleymartin, I'm afraid that I disagree even with the order in which you wanted the organ constructed! A nasard before a complete diapason? No, no and no! The diapason is the heart of the organ and everything else is defined by it. Needs to go in first.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Now you are trying to dictate our literature as well as our instrument designs. ROFL. I don't recall French instruments being heavy with mixtures, since Cavaille-Coll didn't even like them. The reeds are definitely there, and that can be really expensive to replicate. French toccatas are nice to do on occasion, but they are not an every week thing.

Actually, my organ is a powerful instrument, despite its size. Its only real weakness is the pedal division which could be fixed. It has an independent 8' pedal flute rank, unenclosed, which is largely useless. It is thick as mud, and I don't know why it is even there tonally, other than lack of money 60 years ago when it was installed. I am told by a reputable builder that those pipes could be removed and a 16' reed put in their place. I have 20-30 feet vertical space above the organ, just no horizontal space. Something to consider, I think. I am working on that.
  • I'm not dictating anything: your instrument is! If the pedal division, from an objective standpoint, was poorly built, it needs to be replaced, rather than supplemented! Given the size of the instrument you've described, I think that a second 16' flue on the pedal would be complete overkill. If the 16' flue doesn't work properly, it should be replaced with something that works properly by itself, or under a proper 8' flute or principal.

What did French organists do when they had smaller instruments? Organ symphonies seem to be designed for large, symphonic instruments. If you want things that work with what you've got, wouldn't you be better going through Guilmant's church music than trying to make big toccatas 'sort of' fit? I seriously doubt that somebody like Widor or Vierne would have tried to perform one of their bigger works on a small instrument.
  • CharlesW
    Tell you what, I won't call you before I make modifications to the instrument. LOL.
  • It's just the same old problem: organists being unprepared to work with what they've got. What you have will probably do plenty of other things.

I was asking quite seriously about French organists, btw. I don't know what the practices were in smaller churches.
  • CharlesW
    You don't know this instrument. One of its bigger problems is that during a rebuild in the mid 1990s, the church had a Baptist organist who understood little of Catholic tradition or music. He tried to take what was designed as a French classic instrument with a little early Romantic influence, and voice it into a large Romantic instrument. It didn't work, as you might expect, and the divisions are out of balance with each other. The whole instrument needs re-voicing back to, I think, something closer to its original tonal design. I am working on that, too.
  • Your story is not unfamiliar, CharlesW. Frankly, I'm tired of what I call 'cowboy organists' - players who they think they know enough about organ designs to make huge modifications to organ designs. The results are almost invariably disastrous.

This ties with the debate at hand: I think that a big part of the reason that contraptions are invading the market is because there are far too many organists who would look at a small specification and turn their nose up at it because it doesn't have this-or-that stop, so they wouldn't be able to do a particular piece. To my mind, if an organ has a coherent tonal scheme and well-defined divisions, any organist who wishes to modify it on the basis that it lacks this-or-that stop should go jump in a lake!
  • CharlesW
    It could use an extra rank or two - certainly no more than two. Had funds been available, I suspect a bit more would have been built into the instrument. I grew up with this instrument so I remember how it used to sound. There is a nearly identical organ, same builder, same tonal scheme, in a church about 60 miles from here. I have been there to check it out, so I realize even more of what was changed than what my memory provides. It is good to have a non-altered example nearby of what this organ should sound like. That will be invaluable for restoration purposes.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • redsox1
    http://www.pjmorgans.com/HTML/projects/electric_opus/opus54_stlukes_lititz.html
    http://www.keggorgan.com/ProjectDetail.cfm?yJNum=135

Check it out. Small organs can be well designed and built to play a varied repertoire.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In the spirit of the interim between fourth Advent and Nativity I will offer up the exhortation by the late Rodney King (or was it St. Cecilia?)-"Can't we all just get along and let the deep organ swell the lay"?
    I would be remiss to not mention that this extraordinary thread has virtually all the elements common to the topic and the great film "Babe."
    Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • From the organ salesman as reported by Catholic Choirbook:

"Never say that. Tell them they should consider this organ because it is capable of more exact control over the formation of musical sound than any other instrument in the world and being digital eliminates the expense of tuning and periodic maintenance."

The second part of that statement I will leave aside, because I honestly don't know exactly how maintenance breaks down between a digital and real pipe organ. There would be many factors to that discussion, including make and model, climate, timeframe, and so on.

As to the first part, this is an empty sales pitch. The digital organ is binary - on/off. A good tracker organ allows me practically infinite nuance in the formation of musical sound. I suppose an electronic piano salesman would use the same line, in comparison to a real piano with strings and hammers. And that would also be nonsense. Even - an unethical (because false) thing to say which will only convince those who don't understand the instrument.

• Several attempts have been made to end this uncharitable and unproductive discussion. Here's another thought:

If every church hired a capable choir director who could conduct a small a cappella schola. ALL of the requisite chant of the liturgy could be adequately sung.

The same small vocal ensemble could further supplement this core repertoire by venturing into the vast polyphonic treasury as their vocal resources allow--all without ever touching a single instrument including the organ! :)
  • francis
    Now, Now, Earl-Grey... we are not going to drink your tea! The church upholds and promotes THE instrument worthy of the liturgy. Don't get me wrong... I absolutely love and promote the GC and polyphony as MOST fitting for the liturgy, but the organ has its place, and it is an important one.

Melo: We are getting along just fine! Some people here are getting a good education!

As for electronic versus real pipes, no one would dare think to have a computer 'sing' the choral music... even if you couldn't tell the difference! God prefers (sorry Fr. K) worship in spirit and in truth. That requires real human voices.

However, if we refuse to sing, then the "the very silicone chips will cry out."
  • CharlesW
    no one would dare think to have a computer 'sing' the choral music...

I don't know...Can the computer sing on pitch? It might be an improvement on my basses.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Earl Grey - I don't agree that this has been unproductive and uncharitable. But you make an excellent point about vocal music, which is the highest liturgical goal.

And I think sometimes organists get obsessed with organ projects, to the detriment of the rest of the program. For example, lets say you have the funds (say 2 million dollars) to build a monumental instrument from a top builder. That same 2 million at 1.5% payout would give off 30k/year - enough to hire 8 section leaders for weekly rehearsals and liturgies. Maybe the choral core is a better first step than a giant instrument.

But if you're going to buy something real organs are still better :)
  • hartleymartin, I'm afraid that I disagree even with the order in which you wanted the organ constructed! A nasard before a complete diapason? No, no and no! The diapason is the heart of the organ and everything else is defined by it. Needs to go in first.

Where did I say put in the Nazard before the complete diapason? Stop putting words into my mouth! If you're going to argue with me, argue with what I actually say and not what you seem to think I am saying.
  • hartleymartin, to be honest, I disagree with the idea of building an organ in stages at all. I'd rather have something smaller and all in at once than piecemeal additions from potentially 80 different sources over the years. I have seen far too many organs with "prepared for" stops that have never been provided. Doing it all at once means that the voicing relationships can be worked out properly. Basically, I disagree with your original scheme, and your thoughts about mine! Am I being dogmatic? Sure. Do I think it will produce a better result? Absolutely.

On the point of unit organs, I really would advise against these. They're often just unnecessary expansions of stoplists. Organists need to make do with less. Too much demand for big organs and stoplists out there!!
  • A good tracker organ allows me practically infinite nuance in the formation of musical sound.

Would someone offer a clear explanation of this - what it does, how you do it and what stops you use. This would be helpful to those who do not have any background in organ technique.