Responsa ad Dubia concerning Traditionis Custodes
  • KARU,

Do you lack imagination?
  • a_f_hawkins
    People rarely take much notice of what popes say. And popes say so much that goes unreported in the media. Even when Pope Francis commented unfavourably on a crowd of bishops concelebrating with him taking selfies during Mass it seemed to make little impact. How many people bother to follow papal catecheses such as his series on the Mass? https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/audiences/2017/documents/papa-francesco_20171220_udienza-generale.html
  • KARU,

Do you lack imagination?

Perhaps, Chris, she has an abundance of charity. ;)
  • Nihil, I could probably have phrased my post better too. I just get upset with the "TLM or bust" mentality, when it appears that the TLM will likely go bust in the not too distant future. I understand the frustration and sadness over this, but I also know that we need a way forward that is grounded in reality if this does happen.

Merry Christmas to you also and a blessed New Year.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • I doubt that Papa Ratzinger thinks there are two faiths, I certainly do not.

It now seems that it matters little what he thinks.

Regardless, that doesn't negate my earlier observation that the cat is out of the bag now, and the current powers that be are saying things that, at least implicitly, indicate that this is now the prevailing view. BXVI said that they were the same rite. This illusion has now been formally debunked by TC and these dubia.

And I'm sorry, but it is simply impossible to believe that the people who put on clown masses believe the same things as the people attending TLM's. The polling shows it too: with drastic differences in beliefs on core tenants of the faith like the Real Presence and moral matters like contraception and abortion. "Lex orandi..."
  • stulte
    I just get upset with the "TLM or bust" mentality, when it appears that the TLM will likely go bust in the not too distant future.

I think you might be partly responding to something I wrote earlier on this thread (if not, my apologies). So, please allow me a brief reply.

I started out going to the Novus Ordo as a child and became interested in the TLM as a teenager (and music ministry). I went away to college for music and started going to a Ukrainian Catholic parish for nearly three years after getting fired as organist by the priest chaplain of the Newman Association on campus (which was a blessing in disguise). I graduated, got married, and joined the parish with the indult TLM when my first child was born. When the pastor died, our TLM community was moved to another parish where I started a schola. This went on while I grew so frustrated with the pastor (a diocesan priest) that I started alternating time between my diocesan TLM and the newly started Anglican Ordinariate bi-weekly mission nearby where I would regularly go for the next 2 years. Finally, the FSSP was invited in by my Bishop to take over my parish where I have remained ever since.

So, my own spiritual walk has included spending significant time attending four different uses/rites. I nearly went Eastern Rite in the formal sense and had, in fact, filled out the paperwork to join the Ordinariate (due to a family connection, I am eligible to join), but never handed it in. Something held me back in both cases. Discernment that it is through the Traditional Roman Rite and its spiritual ethos that God has drawn me towards Himself and that my time with other uses/Rites has only served to reinforce that notion is what causes me to hold to it tenaciously.

Are those means truly going to be withdrawn? If it is still God's will to draw me by them, then they will not be and nothing will be able to stop them from being available to me. The Traditional Roman Rite is my "home" within the Church and I don't desire to work in the "homes" of others. I *do* ask that others stop trying to burn mine down and cast me out into the street.
  • Stulte, I wasn't responding to you directly. I think there are a number of people on this forum that have somewhat of that mindset. But I do understand your point and appreciate your response. I have sympathy towards the EF even though I attend the OF and I am very traditional when it comes to church music. I am just trying to be realistic (based on the way Rome seems to be going) and understand that we should probably prepare for the worst.
    Thanked by 1stulte
  • stulte
    I am just trying to be realistic (based on the way Rome seems to be going) and understand that we should probably prepare for the worst.

Thanks for your reply Nathan. I agree that we should prepare for the worst, but that probably means something a bit different for many of us. It seems to me that the debate on this is a manifestation of a much older (centuries older) debate that centers around concepts like goodness, reason, will, and authority.

Some people will argue that, since Vatican II decreed reform of the liturgy and this was done by the Pope and Bishops, this is good and must be followed. Traditionalists respond that these things, though done by those sitting in positions of authority, have problems in and of themselves and may/must be resisted for reasons which can be understood and articulated. The root of the debate ultimately centers around how the two sides view God.

The statement, "It is good because God commands it" is false because it assumes the goodness of something commanded depends on God's Will instead of having its goodness originating from God's own essential goodness. The correct statement would be "God commands it because it is good." God contemplates his own essential goodness, He knows Himself in His Intellect, and makes commands based on His knowledge.

The debates on this forum about Traditionis Custodes have been frustrating to many on here because those defending restricting the TLM and forcing the NO on traditionalists seem to be of the view that the changes are good and must be followed because the Pope and some Bishops who are in positions of authority said so and that's that. Any reasons put forth to explain why this is not a good idea don't matter and fall on deaf ears because those in authority have spoken and reason doesn't really enter into it. ("It's good and binding because the Church authorities have decreed it"). Traditionalists take the view that the goodness (or lack thereof) of a command can make or break its authority and that this goodness can be known and articulated rationally.

Until this basic difference of understanding is resolved, the two sides will continue to fight in all the ways which have upset you and others.
  • Liam
    But in the Roman way, the real tension is between jurisdiction (those who have it, and those who do not) and individual conscience, and the scope of the remit of the latter in the public/ecclesial forum and how it can bind anyone else.
  • dad29
    It's odd that some here think that the EF is going to implode.

That's not the direction it's taking in this Archdiocese; there is one ICK parish which serves about 1,500 people/Sunday and 4 or 5 'OF' parishes which also hold a regularly-scheduled weekly or monthly EF Mass with an average of 200 souls attending. (There is also an SSPX chapel; I don't know the numbers there.)

30 years ago, there was one 'OF' parish holding one EF Mass, serving about 300 souls/week.

Please recall that the Hapsburg Empire was going to fall (!!) until John III Sobieski dropped in for a visit. We have no idea what will happen in the next 2 years, much less 50-100.

Moreover, if the EF is going away, it will do so all by itself. Rome doesn't have to do a thing. That imperious 'drop dead' is what stirs trouble and schism, not a benevolent 'let it die' treatment. I should add that those on this board who echo Rome's 'drop dead' attitude are not encouraging comity, either.

Lastly, I am sympathetic with those who hold the '2 Faiths' theory, although that is not correct. There is one Faith, but lots of different ways to sin. Let's not confuse one with the other!
  • dad29
    Then there's the serious doubt that the responses to the dubia actually have legal force. See: https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2021/12/important-article-legal-considerations.html

One of Pope Francis' charms is his disregard for legal precision. In the present instance, it betrays his (alleged) Peronism, for he has not legally 'cemented' the responses, but at the same time, he has made those who hate the EF very happy because it SEEMS that he is closing the era of the EF.

Clever, no?

• a_f_hawkins
    " those on this board who echo Rome's 'drop dead' attitude "
    I can't say I had noticed any of these, perhaps some kind reader could list names for me in a PM (so as to avoid dissension).
  • stulte
    But in the Roman way, the real tension is between jurisdiction (those who have it, and those who do not) and individual conscience, and the scope of the remit of the latter in the public/ecclesial forum and how it can bind anyone else.

Well, conscience does play into it, but we're first talking about articulating what the limits of the jurisdiction are of those who are in positions of authority in the Church. The Pope and the Bishops have authority/jurisdiction in the area of the Liturgy (and other things too), but if what they command is irrational, harmful, sinful, etc., even if it pertains to those areas in which they ordinarily have authority, you don't obey them. Why? Because they've exceeded their authority or stepped outside the scope of their jurisdiction in that specific instance. Laws depend on being based on right-reason in order to be binding.

The problem is that some people don't want to have this kind of discussion and simply point to the fact that an authority figure has said to do or not do something in order to stop or avoid reasonable debate.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    "Laws depend on being based on right-reason in order to be binding."

And who has authority and jurisdiction to judge this in a way that binds anyone else?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW stulte
  • MarkB
    And who has authority and jurisdiction to judge this in a way that binds anyone else?

Why, Dr. K, Fr. Z, all the Latin Mass societies, and Archbishop Vigano, of course.

Seriously, an ecumenical council in union with the pope, exercising the very highest collegial authority in the Church, mandated that the then-existing liturgy (i.e., the TLM/EF) be reformed. The reform was completed by competent ecclesiastical authority. Now competent ecclesiastical authority is committing the Church to the full reception of the liturgical reform such that the Roman Church will eventually celebrate the reformed liturgical rites exclusively.

I don't see what's controversial nor hard about accepting that unless you have turned the TLM into an idol, which some on Trad websites have indeed.

Trads didn't display this level of nitpicking nor resistance to Redemptionis Sacramentum when that was issued by the CDWDS with the pope's approval.

They didn't question BXVI's invention of the OF/EF distinction, which was a complete novelty, and some say a legal fiction. To the contrary, they hailed it as genius.

No, they only nitpick and question and resist when Church authority contradicts their wishes. Used to call that cafeteria Catholicism.

• stulte

That's the rub, isn't it? We all have to make our own decisions about how we will respond to commands we believe are wrong and take the consequences imposed on us by those in positions of authority (and not just in the Church). In the long run, if we're acting in accordance with the truth and justice, we will be vindicated even if that vindication doesn't come until the General Judgement and we suffer wrongly in the meantime.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Elmar
  • Mark,

Those "trads" look at the documents of the Council and the reform of Paul VI and find a disconnect. Then they look at the reform of Paul VI and the trajectory since then, along with the demands of the proponents of further adaptation and inculturation and all the rest, and find that none of it (or very little) can be reconciled intellectually with what the Church has always taught.

When there's a fire in a galley, and the cook identifies it, he calls the extinguisher in, and takes measures to extinguish it and limit its spread. When the cook sets the fire and then calls the weapons officer to force everyone to swear that (actually) there is no fire.... something's wrong.
  • Liam
    "That's the rub, isn't it? We all have to make our own decisions about how we will respond to commands we believe are wrong and take the consequences imposed on us by those in positions of authority (and not just in the Church). In the long run, if we're acting in accordance with the truth and justice, we will be vindicated even if that vindication doesn't come until the General Judgement and we suffer wrongly in the meantime."

But they have no indisputable authority or jurisdiction in the present moment to bind anyone else in their own decisions, right?, and arrogating the authority of Tradition is not self-validating in that regard.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • a_f_hawkins
    The reform was completed by competent ecclesiastical authority.
    Well, the result was authorised by the pope, who was competent to authorise it. I don't think any of the revisers thought that the work as a whole had been competently done. And I doubt any of them thought it had been completed. Gelineau strongly advocated Eucharistic Acclamations, and described the outcome as "idiotic". Bouyer described the Calendar as the work of "three maniacs", only accepted because it was the sole option on the table "Something must be done, this is something, therefor this must be done". Bouyer also described his drafting of EPII in order to disclose the chaotic nature of the work. It has been reported that Paul VI cried when he discovered that he had abolished the Octave of Pentecost. ->RotR
    Being scrupulously even handed I don't think 1570 was what Trent ordered either.
  • SalieriSalieri
    If the Tridentine Missal is to be abolished the Vatican II Missal ought to be as well. I see no future for the Novus Ordo except through brute force, i.e., the Jesuitical nonsense of absolute obedience. I honestly don't think that anyone actually 'likes' it: Otherwise, why would the 'conservatives' be talking about the need of a Reform of the Reform (and more than just dressing up the proverbial pig), the 'traditionalists' be talking about a restoration of the Tridentine Missal, and 'progressives' be complaining for the past 50 years that Paul VI didn't go far enough.

What was done after the council is NOT what was intended: As Mr. Hawkins points out above, even those that put the thing together were not happy with it, but Paul VI put an end to revisions far too soon. (Another mistake apart from starting the whole blasted thing in the first place.) There are things in the Novus Ordo that look good on paper, but are confusing or awkward in practice--it's as if the ceremonial was devised at a conference table without anyone actually 'blocking the choreography' in real-life--which, I surmise, is exactly what happened.

And then, there's the problem (yes, problem) of 'active participation'; which, as Benedict XVI noted, has come simply to be 'activity'. Something has to be done. I have no problem with lay people doing the readings, but for heaven's sake train them!--though I would prefer that rather than just random readers, parishes and bishops would actually take advantage of the vast array of invested liturgical ministries, and actually institute men (ahem) as lectors and acolytes, etc. AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE GET THE SONG-LEADERS OUT OF THE SANCTUARY AND TELL THEM TO PUT THEIR HANDS DOWN!!! I would not object, however, to coped cantors to chanting intonations and verses of the propers, etc., from the chancel. Also, I think that versus populum (in its current manifestation--not as an accident of the celebrant facing East in a church with the apse on the West end) is an experiment that has failed--and maybe it wouldn't have failed if it started in 1300, but in the Television Era it was a mistake, as, even if only subconsciously, it turns the celebrant into a kind of 'host' of the Mass (in the Ed. Sullivan meaning of 'host').

Frankly, I'd prefer a serene read 1662 BCP service with the priest celebrating on the North end of the table, than the flurry of pointless activity and the overly dramatic reading of liturgical texts by the priest praying at the people that happens at many N.O. Masses today.
  • MarkB
    Canon 1373 was recently and suddenly changed.

Formerly: Can. 1373 A person who publicly incites among subjects animosities or hatred against the Apostolic See or an ordinary because of some act of power or ecclesiastical ministry or provokes subjects to disobey them is to be punished by an interdict or other just penalties.

Now reads: Can. 1373 A person who publicly incites hatred or animosity against the Apostolic See or the Ordinary because of some act of ecclesiastical office or duty, or who provokes disobedience against them, is to be punished by interdict or other just penalties.

The revised canon is now applicable to laity and clerics who do not have "subjects", i.e., do not hold ecclesiastical office. The Holy See is gearing up to enforce canonical penalties against those stoking disobedience.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • dad29, I'm not saying the EF is going to implode in on itself, I'm saying that it looks like Rome is going to drop the bomb on the EF.
  • it looks like Rome is going to drop the bomb on the EF.

Trads are the most resilient mofos in the world, love 'em or leave 'em. Whether they're the 'Twinkies' of the fluffy aesthetical sort, or the 'cockroaches' of the repellent conspiracy type, they've survived their equivalent of liturgical nuclear holocausts before.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw dad29
  • The Holy See is gearing up to enforce canonical penalties against those stoking disobedience.

Does anyone remember when people who hated him called Cardinal Ratzinger the PanzerKardinal, for his heavy-handed approach with prophetic voices within the people of god?
  • tomjaw
    The revised canon is now applicable to laity and clerics who do not have "subjects", i.e., do not hold ecclesiastical office. The Holy See is gearing up to enforce canonical penalties against those stoking disobedience.

This is just so funny, really! Who can take them seriously, if they go after Dr. K while ignoring Biden etc. If the Church can't deal with those in favour of infanticide that claim to be Catholic, it can't deal with those critics of the Pope, and his inability to deal with the sins that cry out to heaven for vengeance.

Anyway Tradition has had to deal with these problems before... everything that is happening now is no different to the 1970's and 80's, apart from the fact is we have so many more supporters, we have the internet and publishers that don't care what Rome thinks of them republishing Catholic books.
  • I posted this as commentary on a relevant article in a Catholic-left journal. It is pretty much my summary of my position:

I love the Mass in all its Rites and ritual forms, I love the Catholic Church, and one day I hope I’ll begin to love the Lord Jesus as He deserves. Recognizing that this poor sinner does not even deserve the gift of the most poorly celebrated liturgy imaginable (reader: imagine for yourself, according to your lights), nevertheless I’ve met Him and meet Him in the Latin Mass in a very special way, and I would be sad to lose it.

For a TLM Midnight Mass of Christmas, the choir were rehearsing an old Ordinary setting found in the deep archives in the loft. On the cover of one of the octavos, written with a fountain pen, was “Organ: Christmas, 1944”.

One of the basses remarked, when I showed them that score at rehearsal, “That means they were singing this *while* the Battle of the Bulge was going on.” There was an incredible quiet in the loft as we all took that in. Communion of the saints can be a visceral thing sometimes.

Then, one of the old-timers started to tell stories about the ladies, long gone, who used to sing the Benedictus of that Mass. There they were, with us again.

At a very rural TLM quasi-parish (FSSP), built in the late 1800s, the charming eccentric of a pastor did entirely without electricity once for a sung weekday Mass. We sang an Ordinary found in the parish archives, from 1905 or thereabouts. The organ (I was playing) was even hand-pumped. For more than a moment I wondered whether Benedict XVI or Benedict XV was being commemorated in the Canon. The simple beauty and dignity of an unamplified, sung dialogue between priest and choir filled the room with loveliness, breathing fresh life into ancient texts, and the silence outside and in made space for His Presence. Time was gone, and Eternity was there. I am still there, when I recollect it.

My heart sings with every beat and gesture of the Old Rite, and dances to its rhythm and easygoing flow. May the Lord accept my sacrifice of praise!
  • chonakchonak
    "Laws depend on being based on right-reason in order to be binding."

This criterion isn't necessarily subject to legal judgment: a law either is based on right reason or it's not. It is possible for a person to subjected to sanctions by Church authorities for a seeming breach of law, but actually be innocent because the law itself is defective. Situations like that may not get resolved for years, if ever.

As an example of misplaced penalties, one can think of the case of St. Mary MacKillop, who was excommunicated by a bishop in a dispute about property; he only reversed the decision on his deathbed the next year, and later an official commission exonerated her.
  • If we are speaking of unjust canonical penalties being rescinded years later, I can think of one good French bishop whose case seems rather prescient…
  • This entire disgusting nonsense certainly gives a new impetus to us as the laity…

Own your churches, take personal responsibility for their proper maintenance and upkeep. Decide what you will and won’t fund.

Time to wrest back control. The age of cleric-princes ostensibly ended in 1965. Let’s hold them to it.

Aren’t you fed up with being ruled by a pack of men who, by and large, are less educated than you? Far too often degrees out of a breakfast cereal box, all the professional management and governance literacy of a third world dictator, married to the psychological maturity of a teenager.

I reverence in them what Christ had given them in Holy Orders. Beyond that, they remain men. Stupid, fallible sinners like you and I… who ought to remember that it is said that they will be judged by both God and US on the last day.
  • dad29
    Nathan....

I'm saying that it looks like Rome is going to drop the bomb on the EF.

True. There, I used your phrasing to refer to others on this thread who have been saying--for YEARS--that the EF is going away, that fewer and fewer attend it, (etc.) You can find the same sentiments on the original TC thread, just as you can find the 'You VILL OBEY und LIKE IT!!' on both.

Another topic: regarding "obedience" there is a parallel in the vaccination debate. The Pope and various Bishops have said that Catholics have a moral obligation to take the vaccine--but Catholic teaching is very clear: a Catholic must follow his (well-formed) conscience in such matters, and does not have any obligation to follow the instructions of the Pope/Bishops. This is not a perfect analogy, of course, but it's worth considering.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • rich_enough
    Seriously, an ecumenical council in union with the pope, exercising the very highest collegial authority in the Church, mandated that the then-existing liturgy (i.e., the TLM/EF) be reformed. The reform was completed by competent ecclesiastical authority. Now competent ecclesiastical authority is committing the Church to the full reception of the liturgical reform such that the Roman Church will eventually celebrate the reformed liturgical rites exclusively.

By this logic, the Holy See's establishment of groups like the FSSP and Institute of Christ the King were a contradiction in terms, or at a least cruel joke. The Institute, for example, has over 100 seminarians in formation, all of whom entered with the assurance that they would serve as priests according to their constitutions, which were to celebrate the older rites. Now they are being told that their charism and their vocation were a mistake?

As has been pointed out by many of those favoring it, there has been "full reception of the liturgical reform" - I would guess over 99% of parishes in the Roman Church celebrate it exclusively. But now we have to have 100% no matter what the cost? Strange.

The reforms of the Council do not demand absolute uniformity, as is shown by the approval of other rites in the Western church - e.g. the Divine Liturgy of the Ordinariate, the Rite of Zaire, and the modifications approved for the Neocatecumenal Way. If these are allowed to exist, why not the TLM, which has been celebrated and approved in the Church for centuries?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw KARU27
  • MarkB
    Archbishop Roche answered the question about different rites in the Church:

Q: Many traditional faithful have no problems with the reformed liturgy or Vatican II but prefer the traditional form. Why, therefore, can the traditional form of the Roman Rite not be accepted as other differing traditional forms of the Roman Rite are accepted, such as the Ambrosian, Gallican, Dominican or the Anglican (Ordinariate) rites?

Roche: With respect, your determination of rites is not entirely accurate. There is only one Roman Rite, just as there is only one Ambrosian Rite and one Mozarabic Rite. The Gallican Rite disappeared many centuries ago, although many of its prayers have been incorporated into various current liturgical books. The others are not rites but usages — adaptations or inculturation of the Roman Rite, which has received approval by the Apostolic See for specific reasons.

He also obliquely addressed the matter of Ecclesia Dei institutes:

Q: Your Excellency, does the Responsa apply to the ex-Ecclesia Dei Institutes, especially with regard to ordinations in the traditional form of the Roman Rite, or are such ordinations permitted to continue in those institutes, as they weren’t specifically mentioned in the Responsa?

Roche: First of all, allow me by way of introduction to some of these questions to state an important point. The universal law regarding the antecedent liturgy prior to the reforms of the Second Vatican Council has now been established by the Motu Proprio, Traditionis Custodes of 16 July 2021, which supersedes all previous legislation.

Roche continues: The Responsa ad dubia of 4 December 2021, published by the Congregation of Divine Worship & Discipline of the Sacraments, is an authoritative interpretation of how this law is to be applied. The Congregation for Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life has competency over the particular Institutes you mention. This Congregation has not made any statement about these Institutes. However, the principle has been established that ordinations in the Latin Church are conferred as directed by the Rite approved by Apostolic Constitution in 1968 [New Rites of Sacred Ordination issued by Pope St. Paul VI].

Full interview here, dated December 22, so after the Responsa were published:
    https://www.ncregister.com/interview/archbishop-roche-on-traditionis-custodes-and-its-guidelines-the-liturgical-possibilities-are-in-place
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • CharlesW
    I have no problem agreeing that Vatican II had the authority to call for revisions in the liturgy. Unfortunately, the reform was put in the hands of incompetents who were also ideologues with their own agendas. Add to that, it was supervised by a pope who was himself rather wishy-washy and a rather bungling individual. What other result would you expect given all that?
  • SalieriSalieri
    And now we have an ideological pope who, true to his Jesuitical formation, expects absolute obedience 'like a corpse' from the entire Church. Go ahead and excommunicate me.
  • tomjaw
    -Roach is not very popular among the English bishops, as reported by the media they have reacted with dismay that he wishes to take the Church back to the 1970's. It did not work then and will not work now.

He is from the generation of English bishops that were chosen for their lack of Faith... and blows back and forth with the wind.

It is amusing that one moment Rome tells us we have two forms of one Rite, then two Rites and now one Rite. They don't seem to be able to make up their minds.

As for the Ecclesia Dei Communities, they will need to make the choice, join the declining and soon to be extinct N.O. church in Europe, Or join the SSPX.

Francis will not live forever, the younger bishops and clergy are in favour of the TLM, and we are still growing. The TLM withstood the crackdowns of the 1970's, it will withstand this.
  • I didn’t agree with everything tomjaw said, but the “Thanks” were because of:

It is amusing that one moment Rome tells us we have two forms of one Rite, then two Rites and now one Rite. They don't seem to be able to make up their minds.
  • It is amusing that one moment Rome tells us we have two forms of one Rite, then two Rites and now one Rite. They don't seem to be able to make up their minds.

Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia, Tom. Didn't they teach you that on Airstrip One?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    As Tom mentioned, and as Jeff Ostrowski also shows, Roche's commentary seems to change a bit, depending on who he is supposed to be appeasing.

Sounds sort of like Cdl Richelieu in The 3 Musketeers, "Kings (popes even?) come and kings go, but one thing remains the same; and that is me."

And how long do kings' or popes' or clerics' words matter? Just until someone with a more relevant-to-me position comes along?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • dad29
    Roche's commentary seems to change a bit, depending on who he is supposed to be appeasing.

Far be it from us to mention "Peronism."
  • MarkB
    About the conflicting messages from Church authority:

I think the Church put herself in an impossible position, going back to the first indults that permitted the celebration of the preconciliar rite after the reformed liturgy had been promulgated, by attempting to maintain the two forms of the Roman Rite, pre and post-conciliar, simultaneously. No explanation of how that was possible was ever satisfactory once the initial few indults were broadened.

What was at first a very limited indult to celebrate the preconciliar rite -- hence, no formal abrogation of the preconciliar rite -- became under JPII a more expansive indult as a gesture of reconciliation to the Lefebvrites and other Catholic traditionalists. Then it became a general permission under BXVI with the unprecedented explanation that there is a single Roman Rite that has two forms. Now under Francis there is a reassertion that the reformed rite is the sole postconciliar form of the Roman Rite, with the apparent trajectory that concessions to celebrate the preconciliar rite will be granted out of compassion for now, given current circumstances in which people have become attached to that form, but those concessions will eventually be eliminated so that the Roman Church will have a Roman Rite with a single authorized liturgical form: the reformed rite.

The attempt to maintain two forms of one Roman Rite simultaneously seems to have inevitably produced confusion and inconsistent explanations about how it was possible for the Church to do that, because it doesn't really make sense for the Church to have broadened permissions to authorize both the unreformed and the reformed rites for parallel celebration. As a gesture of compassion, I get why it was done. But it doesn't make liturgical sense.
  • CharlesW
    It will never happen, but...Ideally, the church could take the 1962 missal, reform it, and do it right this time. Put it in the hands of competent liturgists who can reform it while upholding tradition. It will never happen.
  • a_f_hawkins
    MarkB - The Church can get on perfectly well with two or more rites, as shown in northern Italy. The Ambrosian rite has a different Calendar, different fasting rules, ... maintained for over 1500 years. And is capable of translating prelates, even Patriarchs, between them without catastrophe.
    And anyway, I accept Paul VI's statement that 1969 is just a revision of the Roman Rite.
  • The attempt to maintain two forms of one Roman Rite simultaneously seems to have inevitably produced confusion and inconsistent explanations about how it was possible for the Church to do that, because it doesn't really make sense for the Church to have broadened permissions to authorize both the unreformed and the reformed rites for parallel celebration. As a gesture of compassion, I get why it was done. But it doesn't make liturgical sense.

It makes perfect sense, actually. If the TLM survived the 1980s, it will survive this.
  • stulte
    The attempt to maintain two forms of one Roman Rite simultaneously seems to have inevitably produced confusion and inconsistent explanations about how it was possible for the Church to do that, because it doesn't really make sense for the Church to have broadened permissions to authorize both the unreformed and the reformed rites for parallel celebration. As a gesture of compassion, I get why it was done. But it doesn't make liturgical sense.

Tell that to the Anglican Ordinariates.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    The Church can get on perfectly well with two or more rites, as shown in northern Italy. The Ambrosian rite has a different Calendar, different fasting rules, ... maintained for over 1500 years. And is capable of translating prelates, even Patriarchs, between them without catastrophe.

But are there two Ambrosian rites? Should there be two Roman rites? What about a third or fourth Roman rite? How about a rite for this group or that group who want to celebrate mass my way or their way? Does this not constitute a house divided?
  • stulte
    Should there be two Roman rites?

What I was taught distinguishes one rite from another are three things: the offertory, the canon/eucharistic prayer, and the Communion of the priest. By this line of reasoning, the Novus Ordo actually constitutes at least 4 different rites in the same book. Should this be so? Honestly, I'm personally so past caring at this point. I just want to be left alone to live my life in peace with the Traditional Roman Rite. If someone else wants something different, fine. But, don't impose it on me and my family. Under SP, a live and let live approach was totally possible. Now, the proverbial ant hill has been stirred up.
  • What was intended and what, in fact, happened are two completely different things. A new rite was developed. And the non-revised rite did continue to stand. And, as I showed in my previous comment, there's agreement between "trads" and the Pope that we're dealing with two distinct rites here. The situation in which we're now working is not that of the 1960s and it's only reasonable that some practical proposals from that time won't be fitting in ours. That's why I appealed to the principle behind the sentence I quoted from Sacrosanctum Concilium.

For me personally, I'll accept neither option. I think this whole operation to get rid of the Roman Rite and forcefully replace it with the Novus Ordo will fail spectacularly.

At this point Pope Francis has to hide the fact that they are in fact two different rites

Anyone who has been paying attention to Pope Francis and his cohort knows that beautifying the OF is exactly what they have no interest in doing. It's a separate rite, the unique form of the lex orandi (and all the rest), not a form in need of beautification.

It is a blessing, in a way. For decades, trads have been crying that there were two rites, two theologies, two faiths. Everyone poo-pooed them and said they were overreacting. Then BXVI came along and said, "two halves of the same coin". This comforted some people, but true hardliners were never pacified...

But now, here we are: TC drops, and all of the sudden, Rome admits what the trads have been shouting from the rooftops for years: there ARE two rites. There ARE two schools of theological thought. There ARE two groups of catholics. ...there are, in essence, two faiths.

This is why they are now suddenly trying harder than ever to suppress the old rite. As long as it lives, the old Faith lives too, and that is muy problemático for them.

I'm surprised by the prevalence of this opinion. I disagree with the notion that everyone on both sides really agrees that there are two different rites. I do not agree with this, and I do not think that many informed people who attend the Novus Ordo will agree either. And most importantly, I think this viewpoint is in clear contradiction to what the Church has been teaching since Vatican II.

Properly speaking, every edition of the Roman Missal that has ever been produced between Trent and now is the Roman Rite.

No one claims, for any of the prior revisions to the Roman Missal, that a new rite was created that was no longer the Roman Rite.

Sacrosanctum Concilium is very clear that it called for a committee to make revisions to the Roman Rite. The last pre-Vatican II Missal is the Roman Rite, without revisions, and the Novus Ordo Missal is latest version of the Roman Rite. It seems very obvious to me from my reading of the documents of the Church that the magisterium agrees with this taxonomy and does not agree with the taxonomy of a new Rite being created after Vatican II.

I think that a rhetorical slight of hand is occurring here. Sacrosanctum Concilium called for a committee to revise the liturgy. The rhetorical slight of hand being played is to claim that revisions to the Roman Missal above and beyond whatever level of revision is to the taste of individual traditionalists equals the creation of a new rite. That is, that degree of change x in prior revisions to the Missal was ok, but now we've gone to degree of change y, and that makes a new Rite. Basically, an entirely semantic game is being played here, where trads are using the verbiage "new Rite" to mean "degree of revision above and beyond an arbitrary threshold that I personally set." I do not believe that this is at all the way the Church thinks about what constitutes a new Rite, but even supposing that such a threshold existed, there's a deep epistemological problem here. The epistemological problem is that the private judgement of the individual is being placed above the judgement of the Pope and bishops. The Magisterium has consistently and clearly taught since Vatican II that the Novus Ordo is the Roman Rite.

Regardless, that doesn't negate my earlier observation that the cat is out of the bag now, and the current powers that be are saying things that, at least implicitly, indicate that this is now the prevailing view. BXVI said that they were the same rite. This illusion has now been formally debunked by TC and these dubia.

I do not see any language in TC that supports this claim. TC appears to me to be asking the Church to embrace the latest revision of the Roman Missal as the liturgy to be celebrated as the Roman Rite.

In the present instance, the EF is a 'lawfully acknowledged rite' no matter the obiter dicta of Cd. Turkson, claiming that the EF is 'abrogated.' Indeed, SC would not have had to 'wish to preserve....and foster...' Rites which were abrogated.

The EF was not abrogated by SC, and has not been abrogated since then. Therefore, the church holds the EF to be of equal right and dignity. And she holds the same for the Eastern Rites.

This logic only makes sense if you accept the premise that the Novus Ordo is a different Rite of the the Church, that is to say, if you believe that the Novus Ordo is not the Roman Rite. The Magisterium is pretty clear that the Novus Ordo is the Roman Rite.

So, if I understand the other side's position, that the Holy See has, in fact, the absolute, unlimited authority to do whatsoever it wants to the Roman Rite, all historical precedent notwithstanding, we must accept the possibility that some present or future pope could mandate that "Give us this day our daily popcorn" should become the sole lex orandi of the Roman Rite and abrogate "Give us this day our daily bread." Were this to happen, we all would be obliged to accept it.

The Holy See would lack the authority to revise the Roman Rite in a way that contradicts teachings of the Church that are to be definitively held. Hence, the Holy See lacks the authority to change the words of Scripture, such as in the example here.

The more relevant question is whether the Holy See has the authority to, say, make us say the Kyrie 6 times instead of 9. It seems obvious to me that the Holy See has such authority.
  • About the conflicting messages from Church authority:

I think the Church put herself in an impossible position, going back to the first indults that permitted the celebration of the preconciliar rite after the reformed liturgy had been promulgated, by attempting to maintain the two forms of the Roman Rite, pre and post-conciliar, simultaneously. No explanation of how that was possible was ever satisfactory once the initial few indults were broadened.

What was at first a very limited indult to celebrate the preconciliar rite -- hence, no formal abrogation of the preconciliar rite -- became under JPII a more expansive indult as a gesture of reconciliation to the Lefebvrites and other Catholic traditionalists. Then it became a general permission under BXVI with the unprecedented explanation that there is a single Roman Rite that has two forms. Now under Francis there is a reassertion that the reformed rite is the sole postconciliar form of the Roman Rite, with the apparent trajectory that concessions to celebrate the preconciliar rite will be granted out of compassion for now, given current circumstances in which people have become attached to that form, but those concessions will eventually be eliminated so that the Roman Church will have a Roman Rite with a single authorized liturgical form: the reformed rite.

It is a blessing, in a way. For decades, trads have been crying that there were two rites, two theologies, two faiths. Everyone poo-pooed them and said they were overreacting. Then BXVI came along and said, "two halves of the same coin". This comforted some people, but true hardliners were never pacified...

But now, here we are: TC drops, and all of the sudden, Rome admits what the trads have been shouting from the rooftops for years: there ARE two rites. There ARE two schools of theological thought. There ARE two groups of catholics. ...there are, in essence, two faiths.

This is why they are now suddenly trying harder than ever to suppress the old rite. As long as it lives, the old Faith lives too, and that is muy problemático for them.

I very strongly object to the claim that Catholics who attend the Novus Ordo lack the authentic Catholic faith. When is it ever ok to stereotype like this? If you actually mean what you wrote, I can only presume that you think that I, as a Catholic who attends the Novus Ordo, lack the Catholic faith. It makes me very sad if you indeed think this.

Yes, survey data says that Catholics attending the Novus Ordo in aggregate have low fidelity to the teachings of the Church. But if you attend a Novus Ordo, you will also find lots and lots of Catholics who deeply hold and profess all of what the Church teaches. There are also a lot of problems with interpreting these surveys, as fidelity to the Magisterium is much much higher when you control for who actually attends every Sunday. There are also issues of self-selection of already devout Catholics into TLM communities. That is all to say, that I don't think that the data in any way supports a one-to-one linkage between possessing the Catholic faith and liturgical preference. And to illustrate this with an example, I think we all know that if we surveyed the student body at Franciscan University of Steubenville, that we would see extremely high rates of fidelity to the Magisterium, despite Steubenville being the epicenter of a liturgical style that many who post here find intolerable.

In regards of claims about "two faiths", I can very easily turn the tables here. I do not in any way believe that Pope Francis is shutting down the Latin Mass because he objects to too many Catholics actually believing Catholicism - that's a pretty dark thing to believe about the Pope, and strikes me as being implausible to the point to being ridiculous. That being said, none of us can know the inner thoughts of the Pope, so I guess we can't know for sure. I have another interpretation to provide though, that I think has the advantage of taking Pope Francis' claims at face value:

That is, that the Church was happy to accommodate a minority liturgical preference for the TLM. Perhaps the Church would have always preferred that everyone in the Western Church attend the same liturgy, but really, making an allowance for a minority is no big deal. However, along the lines of what MarkB wrote, these allowances have been taken as carte blanche to claim that the Church lacks the authority to revise the Roman Rite, that the EF is an objectively superior liturgy, that one earns more grace and is a more devout Catholic (or has the real Catholic faith!) if one attends the EF, so on and so forth. To the extent that there are "two faiths" going on here, it's a real problem that I as a Novus Ordo Catholic think that your preferred liturgy is a legitimate option, but you do not share the same opinion about the liturgy that that Church has over and over again proclaimed to be the normative expression of the Roman Rite.

Denying the authority of the Pope is a really fast way to get yourself in trouble with the Pope. I don't feel like this aspect of the situation has been given due attention on this thread. It seemed inevitable to me that with all the efforts to deny the authority of the Church to revise the liturgy and deny the legitimacy of the Novus Ordo, that the Pope was going to shut this open and organized dissent down.

And to make sure I'm clear, if I were Pope, I would be very happy to make allowances for people who prefer to the TLM. Generally speaking, I think that people ought to be able to seek out their liturgical preferences as they see fit. It becomes a real problem though, when you change from saying "please give us, the minority, access to our liturgical preference" to "our minority liturgical preference is in fact the objectively best liturgy, and anyone who disagrees with us is bad Catholic, and we demand that the entire Church change to our liturgical preference." Obviously, this latter tactic is a recipe for division and a recipe to draw the ire of the Vatican.
  • Contemporary,

First: Blessed Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord.

When you say that someone has accused those who attend the Mass according to the Ordo of Pope Paul VI of not having the Catholic faith.... the evidence that the proponents of this same ordo put forward is adequate to prove the point.

Concelebration can't be a litmus test of being a good Catholic. All kinds of variety are welcome in the Ordo of Paul VI, so those who do not wish to concelebrate must be also welcome (except that they're not).

The banning of the older form - and, hostility to it where it isn't banned --is, itself, adequate proof that the faith of those who attempt this isn't the Catholic faith, whatever else it is, because the older form is a statement of the faith which is no longer allowed.

I don't deny the authority of the pope. I find the present pope's action incompatible with his office: he is supposed to be the guardian of the tradition and the purity of the faith, handed down from generation to generation. I don't deny that he is the pope, but I keep coming back to the question, "If he were a heretic, a schismatic or an apostate, bent on destroying the Church, how would he behave differently?"

• "How about a rite for this group or that group who want to celebrate mass my way or their way? Does this not constitute a house divided?"

Is this not precisely what the optionality of the NO creates within itself, separate rites aside? One parish has Latin and ad orientem worship and only male servers, and the next parish over has hippies playing the tambourine in the sanctuary.