Responsa ad Dubia concerning Traditionis Custodes
  • Chas, you linked to a video about the same video. That was precisely cc’s point.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Um, no, Nathan, nor does the St Sabina Faith Community claim to be Catholic in the first place. Above that post is a link to a Maskers-aren't-Catholics screed of dubious holiness making the scurrilous claim that the bishop is "in service to the mafia". This is why I only recommend CMAA to people who already know me well.
  • CharlesW
    And a good time was had by all.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Just when you were hoping I had given up on this thread!!!! . . .

I don't think that clericalism is entirely a 'Novus Problem'. There can be a problem of ‘passive’ clericalism as well as ‘active’ clericalism - by this, I mean the tendency of a lot of traditional parishioners to think “Well, the priest/altar boys/choir are doing that, so I don’t have to.” On the one hand, I think it's very dubious to try to take over positions that belong to the priest (EMHCs who don't understand what 'extraordinary' means, self-aggrandizing parish councils), but on the other hand, it seems too often at trad parishes that worshippers take a "less is more" attitude when it comes to interpreting Pius X's concept of "actual participation". As in, do the bare minimum. Because, doing what the servers/choir are doing is just one step from replacing the priests with laity!

Biggest example to me: there seems to me to be an almost irrational fear amongst a lot of trads regarding the Dialogue Mass, insofar as many interpret it as seminal to the corruption which occurred post Vatican II. I remember visiting some friends one Sunday at a Sedevacantist chapel (observing, as I do not hold the position) where afterwards the father of one of my friends began prying me with questions about how I felt about attending a non-Dialogue Mass, and how great it was not to be doing anything the servers or the choir were doing. Which made me think - at any parish I've attended where the Dialogue Mass is celebrated, I have never seen anyone coerced into following along exactly as is laid out. You didn't want to say the responses? Fine. Don't. But for those who find great spiritual consolation in following along these prayers, and joining their voice along with the servers (without the underlying mindset of "look at me, I'm usurping a sacerdotal function!") - what sort of welcome are they going to receive at the non-Dialogue parish?

Can you participate at a Mass by just saying a Rosary? Or following the Stations of the Cross? Or just praying silently? Absolutely. But ask yourself: was there no other time in the space of twenty-four hours in which you could've prayed this devotion, in order to devote yourself, as best as possible, to follow the prayers in the Missal? Why is there this pervading temptation to turn Sunday Mass into "Cram as much God stuff into the space of one hour"? I've got a pretty good idea as to why, and I'm sure you do, as well. And for those who claim it's too distracting to flip through a Missal during Mass and it thwarts your concentration, here's an idea: why not read through the prayers the night before, so you can reflect on what is being prayed at the Mass, AND still participate whilst kneeling/singing/whatever?

So, TLDR version: no, we shouldn't try to take over the priest's functions. But, at the same time, we should realize what are and aren't the functions particular to the priest, and realize that participating in these functions isn't an evil modernist development.

Just like how the 1962 Missal isn't an evil modernist development. But that's a can of worms for another day. (And I say this as someone who loves both the pre and post '55 Holy Week!)
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Maskers-aren't-Catholics screed

There shouldn’t be masks hanging from a crucifix, as though they’re as important to the Mass as The Christ Who is on the cross.
  • Surely the answer, Corinne, is that because those other things must go on, the Traditional liturgies must be suppressed.
  • CharlesW
    I still think, Chris, that trad liturgies are a concern of the priests and bishops. I don't believe the majority of "pew" Catholics are bothered one way or another. In other words - take a cue from the government - it's all about control.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw dad29
  • tomjaw
    @StimsonInRehab
    Actual participation is interesting, Martha was active and she was told it was important but not as important as Mary with her silent attentiveness to the Words of our Lord.

Not all forms of prayer are equal, vocal prayer is not the highest sort of prayer, meditative or contemplative prayer is the highest.

So let us look at some examples,
    1. When I first started serving the TLM, I would use my Missal and follow the Epistle and Gospel. The problem I would find is that as you listened to the text in Latin while reading the English and Latin side by side, you would start meditating on the texts... the next thing I would find is the priest was waiting for the responses / moving the Missal. So I stopped reading the texts and try to keep my mind from following too closely. A number of senior M.C. read the responses from a sheet to keep their mind on the task in hand and to avoid meditative prayer. My prayer is my words and actions, as was Martha.

2. When we sing in the choir we cannot follow all the texts of the Mass, we sing over them, or are preparing to sing during them. Is our prayer less? But we are told he who sings prays twice! Our prayer is the music.

3. Polyphonic settings can lead you to higher prayer as you listen, many people in our congregation have told me that the music aids their prayer. We have confession during Sunday Mass, I find it difficult to confess during some Polyphonic music as your heart and soul can be soaring among the clouds far from the earth, while the head is trying to remember more earthly things. One of our priests told me he also finds it difficult to listen to sins being confessed when the choir is singing.

4. So what is the Mass? One story told is of a priest reprimanding an elderly lady for praying the Rosary during Mass, her reply was interesting. She asked what in essence is the Mass "A prayer encompassing the life, death and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ" is one answer. What we are doing while saying the Rosary is meditating upon the Life, Death and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The person following every word in the missal without meditating prayerfully about the meaning of the words, is their prayer greater than the meditative prayer of the elderly woman?

5. I have come across some mothers that feel they have not been to Mass as they were outside the church placating a screaming child... But they have followed the instructions of our Lord 'to bring the children to him'. The mother may not have been able to follow the text of the Mass, but is her prayer and sacrifice (for her child) the work she is doing for her child? Is her prayer and sacrifice during Mass worth less?

There is no one single way that we must use to pray the Mass. Some ways are better than others, but we cannot read hearts. Let us not be the pharisee looking down upon the publican, our prayer may be worth less than those that we look down on. I rejoice to see people coming to Mass how they pray the Mass is not my concern.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Why isn't anyone dealing with actual liturgical issues, rather than finding ways to suppress Traditional liturgies?

Isn't 'suppressing' 'Traditional Liturgies' dealing with a liturgical issue?
  • Elmar
    Not all forms of prayer are equal, vocal prayer is not the highest sort of prayer, meditative or contemplative prayer is the highest.
    errrmmm...
    But we are told he who sings prays twice! Our prayer is the music.
    ...aaa!
    Seriously, I think there is a slim line separating active participation at Mass by meditative prayer from privat devotion during Mass. That's the issue that VII was addressing, isn't it?

But nobody can deny (even myself...) that many pastors/parishes are over-doing it; as choir director I hate 'animating' the congregation to sing their parts, but that's exactly what I'm instructed to do in one church, to the point that I have to assume a position where the congregation can see my gestures well (and I can easily turn towards them, grrr...) even though this harms my visual contact with the choir or rather the other way round.

In sum I agree that with respect to fruitful paricipation of the congregation a lot more can be won by improving NO practices than by phasing out the use of the old missal.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Isn't 'suppressing' 'Traditional Liturgies' dealing with a liturgical issue?
    If one of your kids is a thief, do you smack your honest kids down in front of him, in an attempt to cause the actual thief to change his ways? Will the actual thief change, or will he feel empowered by the realization that someone else will always be blamed and they must be your favorite child in whom you will never find fault?
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • suppressing' 'Traditional Liturgies'

The very wording of the question itself is rather telling isn't it: suppressing traditional liturgies. Nothing says 'catholic' like suppressing tradition! No cognitive dissonance here!
    Thanked by 2francis dad29
  • francis
    No one, including a Bishop can suppress tradition. (Especially THE TRADITION with a Capital T). Tradition will continue even amongst persecution from its very own.

Latest from +Vigano

https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.php/articles/item/5774-vigano-on-the-responsa-ad-dubia-of-traditionis-custodes
    Thanked by 2tomjaw sdtalley3
  • There is no one single way that we must use to pray the Mass.

No disagreement from me, nor with anything else you have said. My issue is this: why is the Dialogue Mass so anathema amongst so many trads? Any congregation is going to be a mix of Marys and Marthas. Why must they be forced to choose?
  • MarkB
    The truth is that the liturgical tradition has developed after Vatican II to include the Novus Ordo as the most recent official iteration of the Church's liturgy. The tradition has developed. The Novus Ordo is the latest stage in the development of the Church's liturgical tradition.

To consider the Novus Ordo as not traditional, not continuous with tradition, not consistent with tradition, is to make a category error. To celebrate the Novus Ordo without relying on and incorporating tradition is to badly implement the reformed rites.

Phasing out the unreformed Mass, phasing out the prior liturgical form, is not suppressing tradition. It's finally committing the Church to unity in celebrating the most recent official form of the Church's liturgical tradition, which necessitates that the prior form, which has been superseded, be shelved. The prior form was adequate for a prior historical and ecclesial context; it is no longer adequate. The tradition has developed. That's the way it goes: a new Missal replaces the former.

Promoting the "Traditional Latin Mass" (which term risks communicating the misunderstanding that the Novus Ordo is not consistent with liturgical tradition) in the current ecclesial context is an attempt to freeze tradition and is also an increasingly not-so-veiled rejection of the Council's mandate that that very same liturgy be superseded by a reformed version.

Attachment to the preconciliar liturgical form is attachment to a superseded stage of liturgical tradition. For those genuinely attached to it for their spiritual good, the Church is making concessions for its limited celebration until they eventually can be brought to celebrate the reformed liturgical rites with the rest of the Roman Church or they die out.

For those who have used or who are attempting to use the preconciliar liturgical form as a statement of resistance to Pope Francis or of rejection of the postconcilar Church, such abuse of the Church's former liturgical rites will not be tolerated anymore. Eventually the only authorized liturgical option in the Roman Church will be the postconciliar rites.

The way forward is only through the celebration of the newest development of the Church's liturgical tradition: the liturgical books formulated after Vatican II.
  • Not once in the history of the Roman Rite has anything as different as the Novus Ordo Missal is from the Roman Missal (from its predecessor, if you like) been proposed and accepted to supersede. That's easy to verify.

It may well be that the venerable Fathers of the recent Council agreed together to have the Roman Rite revised: and very probably that the subsequent Missal editio was that revision. But the Novus Ordo is evidently something else. A different rite, albeit in the Latin tradition. Not what the Fathers wanted, probably, what what we have all the same.

No, the only way forward is to recognize and acknowledge the truth: that there are two rites, and that the ancient one cannot be suppressed.

• Elmar
    Regarding Latest from +Vigano: Although his potentially valid points are well hidden in between a lot of ranting (as usual); he completely lost me with
    Just as in the face of the pandemic, effective treatments are denied with the imposition of a useless “vaccine” that is actually harmful and even lethal, so also the Tridentine Mass, the true medicine of the soul, has been culpably denied the faithful at a moment of very serious moral pestilence, replacing it with the Novus Ordo.
    Does he actually intend to be taken serious?
  • tomjaw
    @Elmar
    He is yet another bishop that has seen a decline over his tenure. He has buried more priests than he has ordained, closed more churches than opened new ones, etc.

Our Auxiliary bishop when I was a child did not like me c.14 year old asking to have the TLM. He said no, and continued saying the same each time we met. Interestingly when he retired he was more than happy to travel around saying little else than the TLM.

+Vigano is saying what his audience wants to hear... He has found a remnant of tradition however weird, with all the other oddball ideas any fringe is prone to have. But is he any different from other bishops that talk to their audience, but only tell them what they want to hear?
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Legitimate proponents of the usus antiquior lose credibility in the eyes of most everyone else when they allow themselves to be associated with attitudes like young-earth creationism, militant politics, and anti-vaccine nonsense like Vigano's rant; these people should not be given a platform as spokes(wo)men. Otherwise, the movement becomes nothing more than a red-pill addiction club.
  • Chaswjd
    @Richard Mix

Um, no, Nathan, nor does the St Sabina Faith Community claim to be Catholic in the first place.

Actually, St. Sabina is a Catholic Parish in the Archdiocese of Chicago. You can find them by searching here: https://www.archchicago.org/parish-map
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • francis
    Legitimate proponents of the usus antiquior lose credibility in the eyes of most everyone else when they allow themselves to be associated with attitudes like young-earth creationism, militant politics, and anti-vaccine nonsense like Vigano's rant; these people should not be given a platform as spokes(wo)men. Otherwise, the movement becomes nothing more than a red-pill addiction club.
    OR is the truth that the red pill addiction has an NO or VII etching.

“The church will get very small...”

Some historical data...

http://www.dailycatholic.org/ottavian.htm
  • "Eventually the only authorized liturgical option in the Roman Church will be the postconciliar rites."

Hopefully, God will never allow this to happen. Mark, I sympathize with the idea that a missal phases out its predecessor utterly. In the history of the Church, this has tended to be the case. However, never once in the Latin Church apart from now has the new missal been so utterly gutted and formed anew in comparison to the previous iteration. Because of this, the period we are in is unique, and is an exception to the historical norms we observe in other periods. Had the reform been carried out reasonably and with caution and a pastoral attitude, and had the reform not been hijacked by a bunch of radicals, we might be in a position where we have a reasonably reformed Version of the '62 (something like the '65 or Ordinariate form perhaps), and then it would be easy to accept the gradual phasing out of the old and the embracing of the new. This is not where we are. God willing, there will be a significant and serious reform to the N.O. which will deal with this issue. Probably not within our lifetime. Until that happens, the EF needs to continue to exist so that we do not utterly forget where we came from, and so that a hopeful future reform can find a reasonable middle ground instead of the (yes, valid) concoction which is the N.O. Yes it can be celebrated reverently with chant and Latin. But the essence of the thing itself is so, so vastly different from its predecessor.
  • francis
    so vastly different from its predecessor.
    you remind us of the Intervention...

https://brizek.com/mass/ottint.htm

When the Novus Ordo was presented at the Vatican Press Office, it was impudently asserted that conditions which prompted the decrees of the Council of Trent no longer exist. Not only do these decrees still apply today, but conditions now are infinitely worse. It was precisely to repel those snares which in every age threaten the pure Deposit of Faith, [55] that the Church, under divine inspiration, set up dogmatic definitions and doctrinal pronouncements as her defenses. These in turn immediately influenced her worship, which became the most complete monument to her faith. Trying to return this worship to the practices of Christian antiquity and recreating artificially the original spontaneity of ancient times is to engage in that "unhealthy archaeologism" Pius XII so roundly condemned. [56] It is, moreover, to dismantle all the theological ramparts erected for the protection of the rite and to take away all the beauty which enriched it for centuries. [57] And all this at one of the most critical moments--if not the most critical moment--in the Church's history! Today, division and schism are officially acknowledged to exist not only outside the Church, but within her as well. [58] The Church's unity is not only threatened, but has already been tragically compromised. [59] Errors against the Faith are not merely insinuated, but are--as has been likewise acknowledged--now forcibly imposed through liturgical abuses and aberrations. To abandon a liturgical tradition which for four centuries stood as a sign and pledge of unity in worship, [60] and to replace it with another liturgy which, due to the countless liberties it implicitly authorizes, cannot but be a sign of division--a liturgy which teems with insinuations or manifest errors against the integrity of the Catholic Faith--is, we feel bound in conscience to proclaim, an incalculable error.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Legitimate proponents of the usus antiquior lose credibility in the eyes of most everyone else when they allow themselves to be associated with attitudes like young-earth creationism, militant politics, and anti-vaccine nonsense …

I don’t know why the age of the earth matters to discussions about faith.
    Anti-vaccine nonsense? That people have died as a result of vaccines is nonsense? That we are supposed to demand safer, abortion-free methods of therapeutics is nonsense?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    The Viganò essay linked above has this line:
    Just as in the face of the pandemic, effective treatments are denied with the imposition of a useless “vaccine” that is actually harmful and even lethal [....]

It's not clear what vaccine he's talking about, since in his country, there are two from China, one from Russia, and one domestically developed. None of those are used here.

And it's not clear that he's really making an accusation about any of the vaccines at all: he may just be using the idea as a metaphor, in order to say that the modern form of Mass is a poor substitute for the Tridentine Mass, which he calls "the true medicine of the soul".

If he were making such a claim about any of the well-known vaccines used in this country, I think it would be fair to call it nonsense, since they're all demonstrably effective in most patients at reducing the effects of Covid disease, and hence not "useless".

For an ironic note: some of the Chinese vaccines were developed and tested completely without use of human fetal-line cells and therefore they have no moral taint from any use of cells derived from abortion victims: they might therefore be morally superior to the vaccines used in the US and much of Europe.

• Legitimate proponents of the usus antiquior lose credibility in the eyes of most everyone else when they allow themselves to be associated with attitudes like young-earth creationism, militant politics, and anti-vaccine nonsense like Vigano's rant; these people should not be given a platform as spokes(wo)men. Otherwise, the movement becomes nothing more than a red-pill addiction club.

Schoenbergian,

You strike me as a reasonable sort, so I don't like disagreeing with you. This post, however, requires a response.

I've recently been defending (in another forum) the idea that contraception is part of the culture of death. One respondant urged me to drop the contraception part of the argument because (in her mind) pro-lifers defeat their own argument when they connect contraception to abortion, because she sees them as entirely distinct questions.

The usus antiquior is part of the Catholic faith, and accepting that faith entails accepting other things which our modern society considers quaint or silly or various other words I'll get (rightly) censored for using, so I won't use them.

Much greater minds than mine will ever be have taken the young earth and creation seriously, but one is not required to accept the young earth idea and one is required to accept creation. Do some people make stupid arguments for young earth creationism? Sure. That makes them inadequate instruments, not necessarily purveyors of wrong ideas.

I don't know what you mean exactly by militant politics, so I'll leave that one aside.

What the media call "anti-vax" is a very broad term ranging from actual Luddites to those who insist that the COVID "vaccines" aren't really vaccines at all. The opposition of this second group is based (sometimes) on an appreciation of science and the desire to save its good name. Accepting the usus antiquior implies accepting the moral framework which the Church has taught over the centuries. Rejecting it, it seems to me, results from rejecting that same moral framework.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Chris, I would take the Kolbe Centre insisting that YEC is akin to Catholic dogma as an example, a view that has only become more prevalent in time.
    What the media call "anti-vax" is a very broad term ranging from actual Luddites to those who insist that the COVID "vaccines" aren't really vaccines at all. The opposition of this second group is based (sometimes) on an appreciation of science and the desire to save its good name.

I understand this, and have no desire to further media sensationalism. I limit my concern to comments like Viganò's.
    Accepting the usus antiquior implies accepting the moral framework which the Church has taught over the centuries. Rejecting it, it seems to me, results from rejecting that same moral framework.

Which is why I listed examples that have nothing to do with the Church's moral framework.
    Anti-vaccine nonsense? That people have died as a result of vaccines is nonsense? That we are supposed to demand safer, abortion-free methods of therapeutics is nonsense?

Viganò insisted that the vaccine is useless and has only caused harm, which is objectively untrue by any measure. Moreover, this has nothing to do with a choice of Missals. Also, don't try and spin my objection into something that it isn't, using examples I never even mentioned.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    If one of your kids is a thief, do you smack your honest kids down in front of him, in an attempt to cause the actual thief to change his ways? Will the actual thief change, or will he feel empowered by the realization that someone else will always be blamed and they must be your favorite child in whom you will never find fault?

So, the OF is a thief? and the EF is honest?

You and several others on this site only reinforce the what Pope Francis stated in TC.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Don9of11
  • I believe that Corinne is referring not to the OF per se, but rather the rampant abuses of it which largely tend to be ignored or (at least implicitly) approved of.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    It looks to me, if Pope Francis doesn't go to the big Peronist rally in the sky, an actual schism will occur between the Trads and the rest of the church. If he suppresses the 1962 missal, it appears inevitable.
  • Charles,

I don't want him to go to a Peronist rally in the sky. I want him to spend eternity enjoying the beatific vision. Accordingly, I pray for him daily.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Don9of11
  • CharlesW
    Ah, but Chris. Are you sure that Peronist rally wouldn't be heaven for him?
  • tomjaw
    @CharlesW Judas 'went to his own place'... I suppose some people would not be happy anywhere.
  • dad29
    why doesn't the priest just sing it with the choir and congregation?

Remember that the priest is NOT the congregation, nor the choir.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw rich_enough
  • rich_enough
    Very interesting interview with a church historian, Christophe Dickès, which gives the view of an educated Frenchman looking at TC "from the outside" so to speak (as far as I know he has no particular sympathies with traditionalists). It also telling that it's published in Aleteia, which is known as being very "middle-of-the-road":
    It is difficult not to see in this suppression a purely ideological design. No matter how you look at it, the current pontificate has just suppressed the achievements of thirty years of patient and benevolent work by the two popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI. Like certain media outlets, we can ask ourselves if Rome wants to engineer the death of traditionalist communities.

and
    it is surprising that Rome is engaging in a form of legalism: is it not Pope Francis himself who keeps saying that we must put the spirit before the law, in the words of Saint Paul? Moreover, we see people who are far removed from traditionalist circles being surprised by such Roman rigidity.
    Thanked by 2Elmar dad29
  • [T]hese people should not be given a platform as spokes(wo)men.

At the risk of sounding like a bargin-bin William F. Buckley (moreso than usual) I would argue that the charism which needs to be promoted by the Church, especially in these critical times, is that of a "big tent". There are those among us who are not young-earth creationists, geocentrists, or dogmatic anti-vaxxers, but still support the continued use of the rites prior to 1969, just as the exact opposite is true.

I agree with you, Schoenbergian, that support for the old rites shouldn't automatically equate one with supporting all of these issues mentioned. There are plenty of issues on which I disagree with my fellow trads. But I have heard enough intelligently formulated arguments from them I that I understand to dismiss them completely would be a great disservice to them.

Right now, I think we find ourselves in such a polemically invested atmosphere that our situation is like that of the Congregation De Auxiliis, only we find ourselves debating multiple topics instead of one. Perhaps it would have been best had Pope Francis followed the example of Pope Paul V, instead of Paul VI, regarding a solution to these controversies, particularly regarding the liturgy. Lack of a definitive resolution doesn't mean that the pursuit of truth has been abandoned.

• At the risk of sounding like a bargin-bin William F. Buckley (moreso than usual) I would argue that the charism which needs to be promoted by the Church, especially in these critical times, is that of a "big tent". There are those among us who are not young-earth creationists, geocentrists, or dogmatic anti-vaxxers, but still support the continued use of the rites prior to 1969, just as the exact opposite is true.
    And yet William F. Buckley did more than anyone to purge the conservative movement of those people who he believed harmed its mainstream credibility, and did so quite successfully in my eyes.
  • Elmar
    Rich,
    this one from the same source is also worth reading; interview (also by Agnès Pinard Legry) with Hugolin Bergier, "a French scholar living in the United States":
    https://aleteia.org/2022/01/05/traditiones-custodes-a-response-to-an-american-effect/
  • CharlesW
    Interesting article, Elmar. I have noticed that same disdain for Vatican II and the post-conciliar popes. Granted, it is hard to build any case for excellence among some of those popes. Was Vatican II ecumenical? Latins think every council they call is ecumenical whether or not the rest of Christianity agrees. Did Vatican II clarify, or create confusion in its wake? Another good question. How will this all shake out? God only knows. I will state again what I have said many times, we have a genuine leadership crisis in the church. Our bishops, for the most part, are corporation vice presidents. They serve for a time then are retired. Is it any wonder they act like business executives. Unless God raises a saint - He has done it before - and clarifies and re-defines roles, the confusion will likely remain with us for some time.
  • William F. Buckley did more than anyone to purge the conservative movement of those people who he believed harmed its mainstream credibility, and did so quite successfully in my eyes.

So, Malachi Martin and Michael Davies are mainstream, then?

[To be fair and honest, Buckley isn't exactly my idea of an outstanding Catholic - his whole "Mater Si, Magistra No" stance is hardly a healthy position to take on Church teaching - I only brought him up because I didn't think anyone on here would know Russell Kirk. :) ]

• Liam
    Well, I think the examples being considered in that time frame were Birchers and the (((anti-Jewish))) wing of the then paleocons. WFB was wise about that, not necessarily about everything else, especially in race relations, as it were.
  • If, by his behavior, Pope Francis demonstrates that he is a guardian of tradition.... then Michael Davies is absolutely the middle of the mainstream.
    Thanked by 2dad29 tomjaw
  • dad29
    And yet William F. Buckley did more than anyone to purge the conservative movement of those people who he believed harmed its mainstream credibility, and did so quite successfully in my eyes.

Right, wrong, or otherwise.
  • SalieriSalieri
    It is not my intention to derail this (already too long) thread, but, since several have suggested that the suppression of the Usus Antiquior should be the cause for a resurgence of the "Reform of the Reform", I just want to mention that today the Pope celebrated in the Sistine Chapel: The Mass was said versus populum; only four candles were placed on the altar where the Mass was celebrated: two on each far end; there was no crucifix on the altar where the Mass was celebrated; the Pope and deacons sat on chairs directly in front of the High Altar, behind the portable altar. In other words, the "Benedictine" Altar arrangement is no more.

Remember that there is a trajectory with this:

1) Massimo Palombella removed as Maestro of the Capella Sistina (allegedly for financial irregularities, but, who knows the truth), who was responsible for getting the Choir up to standard;
    2) The new Archpriest of St. Peter's bans private Masses, except at certain times and in one location (for both TLM and N.O., on first-come, first served basis) and all must concelebrate (even pilgrimage groups of various languages) at the ONE Italian Mass every day; and also prohibits Latin being used in the Divine Office in the Basilica, except the Magnificat at the discretion of the Maestro of the Sistina (NB: which only sings at Papal functions; the Capella Giulia, which sings at all non-Papal functions in the Basilica, does not get this privilege);
    3) Msgr. Marini removed as Papal MC, and made a bishop somewhere else (promoveatur ut amoveatur), he is replaced by an exponent of the Bologna School (i.e. Hermeneutic of Rupture);
    4) Removal of Card. Sarah as Prefect of CDW, and appointment of Abp. Roche;
    5) Traditionis Custodes--which also says that the N.O. must not "incorporate elements of the TLM";
    6) Responsa ad dubia--which also 'clarifies' that the N.O. must not "incorporate elements of the TLM";
    7) Jan 9, 2022: Return of the 1970s N.O. altar and sanctuary arrangement at Papal Mass.

I have not watched the Mass, I have only seen still photos, so I cannot comment on what the music was like.

This is just as a warning to those who view Reform of the Reform a la Ratzinger-Marini as a viable option: I don't think it is, and I do think that a clamp-down on that is coming, too. (NB: cf. +Cupich's (a favored son of Bergoglio) prohibition of 'ad orientem'/'ad Deum' at the N.O. in Chicago.)

And as far as appeals to the Ordinariate Mass as the Vatican's "willingness" to countenance a "Reform of the Reform" goes. I think that the Ordinariate is viewed with the same kind of benign condescension as the Eastern Rites. "They use 'thee' and 'thou'! My, aren't these savages so quaint!" I also think that Bp. Lopes's election as chairman (elect) of the USCCB committee on liturgy has angered the "favored sons"---including Abp. Rozanski (who was on the ballot opposite Lopes)---and that he is going to be fought and blocked at every chance.
  • CharlesW
    I have said all along that this is all a lead-up to suppressing the 1962 missal.
  • SalieriSalieri
    But I think, too, that suppressing '62 is itself a "trial balloon", and a means to an end: the "canonization" of the liturgical praxis and aesthetic of the 1970s, and the suppression of Latin altogether in the Western Church. Don't forget the new legislation on translations that undoes Liturgiam Authenticam, and permits vernacular texts to be written independent of a Latin original. Reform of the Reform is next on the choppingblock.
  • I agree, Salieri, that it is very naïve indeed to think that TC will lead to anything other than more universal destruction of tradition. The idea that it will bolster RotR because all of the trads have been hiding in TLM parishes is a fantasy.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW tomjaw Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    I began watching the Mass: I made it up through the Gloria: Italian Entrance Hymn (set to OLD HUNDREDTH), Kyrie & Gloria both in Italian, and in a generic "Novus Ordo style", no chant to be seen, so far.
  • PeterJ
    I think Sallieri may be on to something there re trial balloon.

And I agree with trentonjconn. Where I’ve seen a RotR type of approach to the NO flourish it has always been in parishes where either (1) the church somehow managed to hang on to most of its liturgical traditions during the potty-ness of the last few decades or (2) the TLM was introduced at the parish and slowly but surely led to cross-fertilisation in the NO.