Spanish Propers
  • paulrau
    I am looking for any resources for plainchant Propers with Spanish text- specifically Introits and Communios. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul Rau
  • chonakchonak
    Extending the CMAA's activities to support musicians and clergy in ministry to Spanish-speaking communities was a hot topic this year, with Fr. Arthur Rojas (New York) appealing at the CMAA general meeting for initiatives in this area. Dr. Mahrt, as president, said that a committee of members would be formed for precisely this purpose, and volunteers for it are not just welcome, but necessary.

One source of plainchant on Spanish texts will be Prof. Paul Ford's future Spanish edition of "By Flowing Waters", which has been in the works for some time.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I must agree. I dearly would desire some spanish language plainchant propers or hymn or sequence translations in identical metre to the latin. Although I've been in the past tempted to say that latin should be viewed moreso as the proper liturgical language for the romance language speaking lands and peoples, I realize that this is probably not very pragmatic. We simply have to to it in spanish and french too. The Byzantine Orthodox and some Eastern Catholic Churches in Mexico have spectacular spanish language propers and are light years ahead of us.

The same amount of spanish speaking people yearn for their traditional chant as the english speakers are.
  • Maureen
    Este es sitio con propios y otros textos para descargar.

Misal Palm: Ediciones Latinoamerica y Española

Propios de la Misa (tres meses)
    Misas Votivas (todos)
    Misas Comunes (todos)

This is a site with propers and other texts for download.

Misal Palm: Latin American and Spanish editions. (Mobile palm missal)

Mass propers in Spanish (3 months)
    Votive Masses (all)
    Commons of Saints (all)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • BruceL
    Go here:

http://archstl.org/worship/page/institute-sacred-music

And click "Spanish". It's just Lent, Year B, but an example of what good can be done.

Don't quote me, but I believe Fr. Samuel did these at the request of Fr. Randy Soto, former prof at Kenrick-Glennon, who is from Costa Rica originally. I'm sure if you emailed Fr. Samuel (weber@kenrick.edu) he would have some more info!
  • What about something like this:

• Any news in this area? An inquiring bishop wants to know.
  • henry
    Would like to find a setting of the Entrance Antiphon for Aug. 15 in Spanish. Checked the sites listed above, but couldn't find any music, just texts.
  • Pancho
    As an experiment I've attempted to adapt one of the melodies from the Simple English Propers project to a Spanish translation of one of the entrance antiphons for August 15. Below is a gabc file using the online chant engraver found here. It's probably too late to help anyone tomorrow but maybe someone will find it useful anyway.

The melody is from the SEP from the first option for the introits on August 15. The text is the first option ("A great sign appeared in heaven...") for entrance antiphons for August 15 in the Mexican edition of the Missal. The psalm verses below the file are according to the SEP and use the translation in the Spanish(Latin American) edition of the Liturgy of the hour. The official Spanish translations of the liturgy use the Vulgate numbering of the psalms.

This is a strictly amateur attempt and it was my first time using the Gregorio software so I apologize for the errors and please, feel free to fix and improve. If it can't be used this year maybe it can be used next year.

name:Asunción de la Santísima Virgen María;
    commentary:Ap 12,1;
    user-notes:Antífona de entrada;
    annotation: VII;
    %%
    (c3)UN(e) gran(fe) si(ei)gno(i) (,) ap(i)a(i)re(i)ció(ih) en(j) el(j)
    cie(ij)lo,(i.) *(;) u(h)na(i) mu(k)jer(k) ve(k)sti(k)da(i) del(h) sol,(i.) (;)
    con(e) la(f) lu(h)na(h) ba(h)jo(g) sus(h) pies(iji.) (;) y(i) u(i)na(i)
    co(i)ro(i)na(g) de(g) do(g)ce(g) es(g)tre(h)llas(h) (,) so(g)bre(f) su(g)
    ca(f)be(efe)za.(e.) (::)(z)(ir) (h)(j)(i.)(:) (hr) (g)(f.)(::)

Salmo 97(98H)

1 Cantad al Señor un cántico nuevo,
    porque ha hecho maravillas:
    su diestra le ha dado la victoria,
    su santo brazo.

2 El Señor da a conocer su victoria,
    revela a las naciones su justicia:
    se acordó de su misericordia y su fidelidad
    en favor de la casa de Israel.

3 Los confines de la tierra han contemplado
    la victoria de nuestro Dios.
    Aclama al Señor, tierra entera;
    gritad, vitoread, tocad:

Gloria al Padre, y al Hijo y al Espíritu Santo.
    Como era en el principio, ahora y siempre,
    por los siglos de los siglos. Amén
  • This whole project is so badly needed. A Spanish SEP - SSP - would do an amazing amount of good, along with practice videos too.
  • Any news in this area? An inquiring bishop wants to know.

Mary Ann: I just saw this now, my apologies.

I have begun with a cycle of Spanish responsorial psalms and have plans to do a collection of these with Alleluias and Gospel Verses, though this may still take a little time.

I have a strong interest in doing antiphons also, but I'm a little stuck on this for the moment. I think I need to spend some more time learning about the Spanish liturgical texts. I believe that there are something like 12 different Spanish translations of the Roman Missal, and I'm not sure what the re-translation time frame is either. But I suppose that any good translation will do. But which? And which dialect should be used? And so forth.

These are the concerns that I have before putting pen to paper for me. But I have found a great love for working with Spanish texts, and have been doing weekly Spanish liturgies with Hispanic singers for the past 6 months or so. I really think that doing this will be possible, but I need to get some good answers to these questions first.
  • Pancho: You have made a wonderful attempt! Can you email me? I'd like to chat more with you about this idea if you'd like.
  • Adam, the one that we currently use in the United States (at least here in Texas) is the Roman Missal approved for usage in Mexico. The USCCB recently approved the Spanish-language propers for our own Spanish-language translation of the Roman Missal. They sent the Spanish-language propers to the CDWDS for its recognitio.
  • @benedictgal:

Right, I have the approved books which we use at our parish, and this has been my source material so far.

Can you explain this more:

"The USCCB recently approved the Spanish-language propers for our own Spanish-language translation of the Roman Missal. They sent the Spanish-language propers to the CDWDS for its recognitio."

Is this the Mexican Missal translation? Or a new one?
  • A new one, so that the USCCB can own and control the copyright (red flag to Jeffrey Tucker).
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Very good to know, Paul. Thank you. Any idea when and if this might come back with recognitio?

And what about a Lectionary? Any foreseen changes here?
  • That I do not know, as we are using a strange mish-mash. The readings themselves are from the Lectionary approved for use in Mexico; however, the responsorial psalms are from the Lectionary approved for use in Spain. The only ones that have that combination are the missallettes.
  • Pancho
    Adam wrote:
    Pancho: You have made a wonderful attempt! Can you email me? I'd like to chat more with you about this idea if you'd like.

Thanks, Adam. I've already sent you an email.

I know what you mean about the Spanish liturgical books. I'm still learning, too (and I really ought to know more by now). I know of at least 2 missals editions, the current Mexican one and another that I believe is used in Argentina. I assume there must be a third one used in Spain. I don't know how much overlap exists between these editions beyond the Ordinary of the Mass. I also know of at least 2 lectionaries, the current Mexican one and the "Hispanoamericana" edition. I'm not sure if there is or are another one or other ones used in Spain or elsewhere.

This makes it very difficult when looking for the readings online, most of the time the sites that have them don't say which edition for which countries they are using, or at least they hide the information very well. On the other hand, these sites are often more thorough than the USCCB one. They'll include not just the scripture readings but also the missal antiphons, the collect, the prayer over the gifts and the concluding prayer. Often the prayers of the faithful too. I'm not sure what the source is for those.

Can I just add that I'm deeply, deeply, deeply annoyed that the USCCB sounds like it intends on having it's own Spanish missal? I think we really don't need another Spanish edition right now, in addition to all the existing ones. There are better ways they could be spending their energies.

Edited to add:
    A couple of things I'd like to know more about are about the bible translations behind the lectionaries and the psalters used. For instance, the psalms I used above are from the Liturgy of the Hours. They match the ones in the Leccionario Hispanoamericano but are different from the ones in the Mexican lectionary. Appearantly, they are also the same as the ones in the lectionary from Spain. Does that mean the Leccionario Hispanoamericano is the same as the lectionary from Spain or do they just share the same psalter? Either way, I prefer these psalms to the ones in the Mexican lectionary, and it's nice when the psalms at Mass match the psalms in the Liturgy of the Hours.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Pancho, when I met Msgr. Moroney during the 2003 FDLC Conference, the Leccionario Hispanoamericano was not licit for use in the Mass. These were commonly known as the Orange and Blue Lectionaries (orange for Sunday and blue for weekdays). The problem is that these have a translation that is tinged with liberation theology. The ones that we were told to use were the Lectionary that was approved for usage in Mexico.
  • Pancho
    Benedictgal,
    are we talking about the same lectionary? The one I'm familiar with has a green cover and was being used at my parish for weekday masses. As I've said its psalter matches (more or less) the one used in the Liturgy of the Hours as well, it seems, as the one used in the lectionary from Spain.

I also liked the readings better. The ones in the Mexican lectionary use simpler and (in my opinion) clunkier language. Could you be thinking of the Biblia Latinoamericana? I know that translation of the bible has gotten some criticims for its notes.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Maybe it was a green cover; I don't remember. As soon as we got back from the FDLC, we discontinued usage of these lectionaries. Bear in mind, however, that even if you like the Lectionary from Spain better (or some other Spanish translation), we are bound to use only what is allowed in the United States. The Mexican Lectionary is a red-colored three-volume set.

Now, I, for one, wish that we could use the RSV-CE Lectionary from the Antilles or the translation that the UK uses instead of the USCCB-NAB Lectionary. I do not like our translation; however, it's the one that we are stuck with until, hopefully (and please intercede for that Fr. Richard John Neuhaus), something better comes along.
  • Dr. Ford's Red Flat caught, I wonder about an independent translation into Spanish of the Graduale propers.
  • Pancho
    Benedictgal wrote:
    Bear in mind, however, that even if you like the Lectionary from Spain better (or some other Spanish translation), we are bound to use only what is allowed in the United States. The Mexican Lectionary is a red-colored three-volume set.

Yes, I'm aware that we are bound to what the bishop's conference decides, and I'm aware of the Mexican Lectionary (it's available from Liturgical Press and published by Obra Nacional de la Buena Prensa). However, as you have even pointed out, the responsorial psalms we are supposed to use (or at least the ones in the OCP material!) are not the ones in the Mexican Lectionary, they are from a different source.

Jeffrey, I think not having an official translation in any language of the Gradual propers is a blessing in disguise. It would free a Spanish gradual from being tied to one country or region. On the other hand, using the translation from one of the missals when they match the gradual would make the work easier, and the music easier to introduce to parishes because the text would already be in their missals and worship aids.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Pancho, I live down here in the South Texas hinterland. The upshot is that we can, depending on how safe the other side is on a given day, cross over into Mexico and buy the three-volume set. Our religous goods store also gets it from Mexico.

To my very limited knowledge, I do not know if Mexico has anything remotely similar to a musical setting for the propers as we do with the SEP. The few times that I have been to Mass in Mexico, it's always hymns (and, sadly, badly written ones). I need to borrow a Roman Missal from Mexico to see what their propers look like.

As for the US having its own Spanish-language Roman Missal, this could very well be a good thing. We need to remember that while the United States has a huge Hispanic population, not all of them are of Mexican origin. There are many who hail from Cuba, Central America and South America. It's not just all about Our Lady of Guadalupe, as these other regions also have their particular Marian devotions as well as patron saints.
  • Pancho
    Benedictgal, I live in the West Coast. I've travelled to Mexico often and lived with relatives there. My own parish here is predominantly Latino and Spanish-speaking. I own my own copy of the Mexican edition of the Missal, that is how I got the text for the setting I did above of the entrance antiphon.

I'm not aware of anything like the SEP in the Spanish-speaking world right now. I guess my experience of Mass in Mexico has been more positive than yours, I haven't found most of the hymns badly written, not noticeably so, but as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

There are a number of reasons why I think U.S. bishops shouldn't be bothering with their own Spanish Missal edition right now. Among other things, it's really redundant.* There are already exist editions that are serviceable, if not completely out of date. If it's because of the variety of Latino communities in this country the "Leccionario Hisapnoamericano" seemed to address that as far as the readings, so why pick just the Mexican editions for now? (In fairness, the Mexican-American community is the largest segment of Latinos in this country, especially in the West, so picking those editions might make sense to them in that respect.)

To make parishes buy one edition now, and then make them buy another one later on is a bit cruel, and I think bad stewardship. From the point of view of stewardship and subsidiarity, I think it would have been a better idea to allow parishes and dioceses to decide on their own from already approved material for Spain and Latin America, and to replace them as they get updated; and for the USCCB to publish U.S. supplements with material like the propers for national patron saints, recently canonized saints, etc.

p.s.
    plus, that whole copyright thing.
  • However, you forgot one huge detail: the Mexican Spanish-language translation of the Roman Missal is outdated because we are now in the third typical edition of the Roman Missal. This needs to be re-worked under the guidelines of Liturgicam Authenticam. The USCCB has had a group working on this. In fact, in 2004, they met down here in Laredo to work on the translation, using LA as their guide.

Furthermore, I take issue with the approach that each diocese in the United States should choose its own Spanish translation of the books. Whatever happened to unity? This goes beyond copyright issues, Pancho. Granted, I am not a huge fan of a lot of what the USCCB has done regarding liturgy; however, there are a few times when the light bulb has lit up over their heads and this is one of them.
  • Pancho
    Benedictgal, The current Mexican edition of the missal is based on the second typical edition, but is in it's own 17th edition, published in 2008.

If the US bishops want a new Spanish missal because the current Spanish Missals are outdated, then I sure hope the USCCB is not working alone but with the bishops of Spanish-speaking countries. It would be a little strange, and still redundant, if the most up-to-date missal available to Spain and Latin America is a missal published in the US, and it would be worrisome if the copyright was controlled just by the USCCB (in my opinion). There's no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't be collaborating with CELAM (the Latin American bishop's conference).

Furthermore, I take issue with the approach that each diocese in the United States should choose its own Spanish translation of the books. Whatever happened to unity? This goes beyond copyright issues, Pancho. Granted, I am not a huge fan of a lot of what the USCCB has done regarding liturgy; however, there are a few times when the light bulb has lit up over their heads and this is one of them.

What I meant was keeping with the practice as it was until recently (like the choice between using the Mexican or Hispanoamericano lecitonaries) until a new edition based on the 3rd typical edition becames available. There was unity in the US a couple of decades ago when I believe publishers were could use other scripture translations and not just the NAB. There's unity between the Church in the U.S. and the U.K., even though the English lectionaries use the New American Bible in on place and the Jerusalem Bible and Grail Psalms in the other.
  • However, the Hispanoamericano Lectionary was never meant for liturgical use, as it is tinged with Liberation Theology. That is what the USCCB found very problematic with it.

Furthermore, there is a group in the USCCB working on the Spanish-language translation. Last I heard, one of the members of the group is the diocesan director of worship for the Archdiocese of San Antonio, who had also been working on it when he served as our own diocesan director of worship.

The group has to abide by the guidelines of Liturgiam Authenticam. I do not think that they are "re-inventing" the wheel, so to speak; however, since there is a third typical edition of the Roman Missal, the Spanish-language versions need to be revised to reflect that change.
  • Pancho
    I'm sorry, Benedictgal, but I'm still wondering if you're thinking of the same lectionary I'm thinking of, or if you might have some wrong information.

However, the Hispanoamericano Lectionary was never meant for liturgical use, as it is tinged with Liberation Theology. That is what the USCCB found very problematic with it.
    I did a couple of quick google searches and the only hits where I found an alleged connection with Liberation Theology, or criticism of the lectionary for it, were threads on this forum.

It's incorrect this lectionary was never meant for liturgical use. It was available for nearly 30 years and published in the US, and used to be sold through Liturgical Press. It seems to a large extent the rest of the lectionary, and not just the psalms, were taken from the Spanish lectionary; the Liturgy Commission of the Spanish Bishops' Conference is listed as the author on the Amazon page .

The current lectionaries are not, to the best of my knowledge, affected by the 3rd edition of the Roman Missal. As Liturgiam Authenticam is a church-wide document it makes no sense to work on a new edition of the missal just for the U.S., when over a dozen other countries would have need of a new edition as well. This is where the USCCB is being redundant (assuming they aren't already cooperating with the Spanish and Latin American bishops).
  • Pancho, I heard this directly from Msgr. Moroney himself, who, if we recall, was the Secretary to the former Bishops Committee on Liturgy. His explanation was that the "blue" and "orange" books were meant as study and not as a lectionary. He told us that the ones we were to use were from Mexico. Just because Liturgical Press sells something, that may not necessarily mean that it is okay for use in the Liturgy, as I later found out with their Passion proclamation booklets.

As for Liturgiam Authenticam, it covers ALL liturgical books, not just the Roman Missal. As far as the United States working on its own translation, I frankly do not see a problem with having our own Spanish-language version of the Roman Missal. This Missal, if I understand correctly, will take into account some of the various feasts celebrated by Hispanics who are other than Mexican in origin (Puerto Ricans, Cuabans, South Americans, Central Americans, etc). They also need to have the American adaptations (Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, St. John Neumann, Thanksgiving Day and other primarily American celebrations).
  • Pancho
    Benedictgal, Msgr. Moroney must have been referring to the "Manual Para Proclamadores de la Palabra": Blue and orange examples here and here. These are workbooks to prepare readers for Mass.

No, just because Liturgical Press makes it available, doesn't mean it's suitable for the liturgy. However, I'm disputing what you said about the "Hispanoamericano" lectionary not having beeen meant for liturgical use when it was available and used for a couple of decades already. I think you have been confusing it withe the workbooks above (as I've mentioned before, the copy I'm familiar with is hardbound, and has a green cover).

What in a lectionary requires revision because of Liturgiam Authenticam? Will a new edition of the U.S. lectionary be made because of Liturgiam Authenticam?

I do see a problem with a U.S. edition of the Missal if the translation will be different to that of the Spanish-speaking countries, and if heavy copyright restrictions will be applied. The feasts of countries other than Mexico were already being taken account when we had access to different missals. The only time that is difficult is when you're using the Mexican edition of the Missal, which ironically is now the case because it's the only edition currently allowed.
  • No, Pancho, he was not. I am well aware of what the liturgical books look like. I am not stupid. The blue and orange books are hard-covered and resemble lectionaries. The orange one was for Sundays while the blue ones were for daily Mass. In fact, I saw the orange one at the local hopsital chapel sacristy (this book is not in use). Pancho, Msgr. Moroney told us that these books were not meant for use in the United States. He told us that we needed to use the ones approved for Mexico. That is why, as soon as I returned home from the conference and reported it to the bishop and our diocesan director of worship, we immediately implemented the use of the correct books. Just because something may have been used elsewhere for 20 years does not mean that it was correct.

Unlike you, I do not have a problem with the USCCB having an edition of the Spanish-language Roman Missal for use in the United States. Copyright restrictions exist for other translations as well, so this is not merely a USCCB thing. In fact, might I remind you that the copyright for the English translation of the Roman Missal is actually for ICEL. It is better to have one book that takes into account everything than to have several different Spanish-language Missals floating around. Furthermore, you also need to take into account that there are feasts and celebrations that are unique to the United States. Try having a Mass on Thanksgiving Day in Spanish when there is nothing in the Mexican Roman Missal that sounds like our American adaptation.

As far as the lectionary itself being translated, this is where the copyright becomes an issue for the USCCB. The current lectionary that we have right now is a bad translation. Why? It uses the RNAB as its base. Other English-speaking national conferences have better translations. Even the Carribbeans use the RSV-CE, which is a far superior translation to what we have.
  • Pancho
    Benedictgal,
    I don't know what you think I'm arguing for. I stated my opinions that I think it was a poor decision to allow only one lectionary out of the ones we were already using, that I think this lectionary isn't as well written as one we were previously using, that having an additional edition of the Missal is redundant, that requiring parishes to use one existing edition out of many has the effect of forcing many parishes to replace adequate books with new ones which will only have to be replaced again in a few years, that it would've been better to wait until these were ready, etc.

I'm not a saying we can use a different edition of the lecitonary, I'm questioning the decision that made it unusable, mainly on practical grounds. Earlier you wrote you met with Msgr. Moroney in 2003. This is after a decision made in 2002 referenced on an earlier thread (found just over half way down here, Aug. 12). Previously we would have been free to use a different lectionary. Under the current decision most of the readings are from the Mexican edition, but the psalms remain the same as used in the "Hispanoamericano". Until the U.S. lectionary is published, it requires finding the psalms in another source, such as the previous "Hispanoamericano" lectionary. In effect, we're still supposed to use a part of the "Hispanoamericano".

If there are other editions of the Hispanoamericano lectionary with different colored covers with which I'm not familiar, then that is not surprising. I'd assume a lectionary can go through different editions and the covers and binding might change.

However, I would appreciate it if you could find a reference for idea that this lectionary is tainted with Liberation Theology. The only references I could find for that have been on this forum.

The rest of your post I'll address at another time as I have a question I need to ask the forum.
  • The reference to the Liberation Theology issue comes from a direct statement by Msgr. Moroney made at the conference. I was present when he stated that.
  • ghmus7
    The Red Mexican Letcianary and Missal is the only one approved for US use as far as I know. Does anyone know if this can be found on-line?
  • ghmus7
    I have several cycles of Spanish Psalm responses for Weekdays, if anyone is interested.
  • I apologize for disappearing from the thread, but I've had computer problems.
    The reference to the Liberation Theology issue comes from a direct statement by Msgr. Moroney made at the conference. I was present when he stated that.

Benedictgal, thanks. I appreciate your account but I was hoping for a reference from somewhere else besides this forum.

Re: the rest of your post.

I do have a problem with the USCCB having it's own copyrighted edition if Dr. Ford is correct and the purpose is for the USCCB to own and control the copyright. Whether the ultimate fault is of the USCCB itself or the Spanish-language equivalent of ICEL (if there is one). I'm not alone in having problems with the way copyright is applied to liturgical texts, with how this works out in practice, and in thinking that there's a better way to do this.

Did you know that in the Latin American edition of the Liturgy of the Hours it says explicitly that all rights are reserved even for the printing of booklets for use by the faithful? How are we going to make it easier to pray the Hours in parishes that way?

If there is to be "one book that takes into account everything" it might as well be an edition for all of (the) America(s) and not just the U.S. The LoTH I use does something similar to this, with propers for Mexico, for Columbia, and for Argentina.

If the USCCB allowed more than one approved translation for lectionaries, as I believe they used to, then you might already have had access to the RSV-CE edition used in the Caribbean or another edition you'd prefer.
  • If anybody needs a Spanish communion chant for tomorrow, here's the gabc file for one adapted from the Graduale Simplex for the day:

name:Exaltación de la Santa Cruz;
    commentary: adaptación del Graduale Simplex;
    user-notes: Antífona de la comunión;
    annotation:VIIIc;
    %%
    (c4)Por(j) la(j) se(j)ñal(jkj) de(j) la(j) Cruz(jij) *(,) de(j) nues(j)tros(h) e(j)ne(j)mi(ih)gos(gh) (;) lí-(fh)bra(vjh)nos(ij), Dios(hh) nues(g)tro(g) (::)

Here are the psalm verses, taken from Psalm 2, translation is the Torres Amat version (19th c.).

Salmo 2: 1;2;3;4;6;7;8; 11, 13(b)

1.    ¿Por qué causa se han embravecido las naciones, * y los pueblos maquinan vanos proyectos?

2.   Hanse coligado los reyes de la tierra; † y se han confederado los príncipes contra el Señor, * y contra su Cristo.

3.   Rompamos, dijeron, sus ataduras, * y sacudamos lejos de nosotros su yugo.

4.   Mas Aquel que reside en los cielos se burlará de ellos; * se mofará de ellos el Señor.

5.   Mas yo he sido por él constituido rey sobre Sión, * su santo monte, para predicar su Ley.

6.   A mi me dijo el Señor: Tú eres mi hijo *: Yo te engendré hoy.

7.   Pídeme, y te daré las naciones en herencia tuya, * y extenderé tu dominio hasta los extremos de la tierra.

8. Servid al Señor con temor, † y regocijaos en él poseidos siempre de un temblor santo. * Bienaventurados todos aquellos que ponen en él su confianza.

Because this old translation was done from the Vulgate, it uses "Cristo"(Christ) in line 2. If you like you can switch that for "Mesías" or "Messiah" (added in italics in the Torres Amat) or use "ungido"(anointed) instead as a modern translation might.
  • A "SSP" (Simple Spanish Propers) as mentioned above would be thrilling. I try to chant to communion antiphon before another song/hymn and am looking for simple chant arrangements for at least this proper chant. Resources?
  • I've sung these at my parish for the past few weeks, as seasonal antiphons for the Entrance and Communion. Surprisingly the people have been joining in with some success!
  • a1437053a1437053
    This project is very important. In fact, in some areas, far more important and powerful than the English propers.

When these are nearing completion, we'll need a Chant IntensiVO in the southwest.
  • ryandryand
    bump
  • benedictgal
    After listening to the music for last night's parish Mass, we need help. Nary a Lenten song was used.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    sorry to hear that, benedictgal ... pretty close to the same here too.
  • I respectfully offer some Spanish language chants for Easter and Divine Mercy Sunday at http://www.chantforever.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=517&action=edit&message=1
  • BenBen
    I think this is the link you're looking for...
    http://www.chantforever.com/mass-music/easter-proper-in-spanish/
  • Claire H
    I've been using "Escuchanos, Senor" (Spanish version of "Attende Domine" chant -- it's actually in Flor & Canto!) every week of Lent during Communion. My Spanish choir does great with it, and I think the people have been starting to catch on and join in too. :)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • benedictgal
    Claire, that is probably one of the few bright spots in Flor y Canto and United In Christ, but, these are very small glimpses. At least the faithful are starting to catch on to this beautiful chant. I've used it every Sunday during Lent, as well as on Ash Wednesday.
  • Claire H
    wpatcunningham64, any chance you could do the Communion chant for Pentecost? I'd love to use it this weekend...
  • I'd appreciate it if someone could update this thread with any progress that (hopefully) has been made toward making a collection of Spanish language Propers. Many thanks!
  • Attached are what I’ve come up with in the way of Spanish entrance and communion antiphons for the Second Sunday of Easter.

The antiphon texts come, with alterations, from the Misal del Día and the Mexican Misal Romano. The melodies are modeled on those found in the Simple English Propers for the Second Sunday of Easter.

The psalm verse texts come, with alterations, from the Diurnal Salterio. They are pointed for the tones found in the Simple English Propers for the Second Sunday of Easter.

Feedback is greatly welcome.