It happened: Traditionis custodes (TLM crackdown) (Note: discussion is on hiatus.)
  • TCJ
    I post it as a reminder of the drastic decline since the 60s that has also hit Protestant churches in Europe and North America, and that there really is no way to know if the NO contributed to the collapse of the Western Church, since the NO has only existed in the decades when all the other Christian churches fell to bits for reasons other than Vatican II.

As goes the Church, so goes the world. If Catholics leaders fail to uphold the faith, we certainly can't expect those who are not to hold fast to their morals.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CatherineS
    Perhaps this little problem will suffer the same slow, ponderous, not well-obeyed trajectory of most other proclamations? As someone once said to me Roman inefficiency has its benefits, too.
    Thanked by 2a_f_hawkins tomjaw
  • francis
    Article on Remnantnewspaper

Hatred for the Mass of all time and the Question of Obedience

“They will throw you out of the synagogues” (Jn 16:2) The hermeneutic of Cain’s envy against Abel

https://remnantnewspaper.com/web/index.php/articles/item/5490-hatred-for-the-mass-of-all-time-and-the-question-of-obedience-foreword-by-abp-vigano

The Montinian reform broke all this apart, improvisedly inventing a new rite adapted to the needs of the modern world and transforming the sacred Catholic Liturgy from being theocentric to being anthropocentric. From the Holy Sacrifice of the Cross repeated in an unbloody manner through the action of the sacerdos, we transitioned to the assembly of the faithful led by its “presider.” From a salvific and even exorcistic instrument, we passed to a horizontal populist gathering, susceptible to continual autocephalous and relativistic changes and adaptations that are more or less “festive” and whose supposed “value” is based on winning mass consensus, as if it were a political instrument aimed at the audience, an audience however that is progressively completely disappearing.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw sdtalley3
  • a_f_hawkins
    @CatherineS yes indeed - cf Fr Hunwicke today

The cruel decree Veterum Sapientia had ordered the sacking of thousands of men, and some women, from Catholic seminaries throughout the world. Papa Roncalli, "Good Pope John XXIII" as he had ironically been called, in full consciousness of His authority, Decreed and Commanded eight important rules. Rule 5 ordered that the major sacred sciences should be taught in Latin, that the professors of these sciences in universities or seminaries be required to speak Latin and to make use of textbooks written in Latin. "Those whose ignorance of Latin makes it difficult for them to obey these instructions shall be gradually replaced by professors who are suited for this task. Any difficulties which may be advanced by students or professors must be overcome ..."
  • ghmus7
    From a visiting priest in response to whether we would have TLM this week:

"Yes, the bishop authorized the Latin Mass.
    I'm planning to celebrate a Low Mass.

God bless you all!"

It seems that there is agreement now among most bishops to at least fir the mean time to allow the tlm to continue.
    God be praised.
  • mmeladirectress
    >> A: we know that a Mass to be valid, must be celebrated in a Canonically designated space.

sorry, do we know that?
    So the Masses offered on battlefields, or in the German concentration camps (sometimes for other prisoners, and sometimes in solitary confinement) were invalid? noooo....
  • MarkB
    I'll have a response to Cardinal Burke's important essay a bit later after I think about it some more. In the meantime, here's an article that digs into claims that interest in the TLM is growing: Latin Mass Hysteria
    https://crc.blog.fordham.edu/faith-religion/latin-mass-hysteria/

The idea that Catholics are pining for the Tridentine Rite is the trend story that never dies. It is the line that Trads have been feeding everyone for decades, and it was amplified by church leaders like Pope Benedict XVI, who in broadening the use of the old rite in 2007 said that his move was prompted by ongoing requests from around the world and that “even young people” were drawn to it. First Things editor and Latin Mass loyalist Matthew Schmitz echoed that view in a 2017 article in the Catholic Herald: “Wherever one looks, the kids are old rite.”

The problem is that none of these anecdotes are supported by data. In fact, the numbers show a tiny number of Tridentine faithful whose ranks are not growing, and certainly not globally.

The tendency of the Latin Mass fans to self-select, to gather intentionally and often with greater effort than many parishioners, is a natural function of their passion and that’s a chief reason why they can project an image of a growing cohort. They are visible and they are often outspoken about their beliefs.

Thanked by 2CharlesW bhcordova
  • CharlesW
    A: we know that a Mass to be valid, must be celebrated in a Canonically designated space.

Not true anymore. Mass gets celebrated about anywhere. It is nice to have the marble altar, fine vestments, good choir and great pipe organ. However, not necessary. Even the construction and components of the altars have changed.
  • MarkB
    Okay, about Burke's essay... I'll concentrate on what I think is the meat of what he has written.

13. A schismatic spirit or actual schism are always gravely evil, but there is nothing about the UA which fosters schism.

Pope Francis didn't claim that the use of the 1962 Missal fosters schism in itself; he said that permission to celebrate using the former Missal was exploited and misused in ways that nurtured attitudes against communion with the Church. From the letter that accompanied the motu proprio: "An opportunity offered by St. John Paul II and, with even greater magnanimity, by Benedict XVI, intended to recover the unity of an ecclesial body with diverse liturgical sensibilities, was exploited to widen the gaps, reinforce the divergences, and encourage disagreements that injure the Church, block her path, and expose her to the peril of division," and, "The distorted use that has been made of this faculty is contrary to the intentions that led to granting the freedom to celebrate the Mass with the Missale Romanum of 1962."

14. (...) The UA is a living form of the Roman Rite and has never ceased to be so. From the very time of the promulgation of the Missal of Pope Paul VI, in recognition of the great difference between the UR and the UA, the continued celebration of the Sacraments, according to the UA, was permitted for certain convents and monasteries and also for certain individuals and groups. Pope Benedict XVI, in his Letter to the Bishops of the World, accompanying the Motu Proprio «Summorum Pontificum», made clear that the Roman Missal in use before the Missal of Pope Paul VI, “was never juridically abrogated and, consequently, in principle, was always permitted.”

As has been discussed either in this thread or in the RotR thread (I think there, actually), the 1962 Missal was never juridically abrogated, but that was originally due to exceptions allowed by Paul VI that were later expanded by his predecessors. The former Missal was permitted to still be used by way of exception, not intended from the beginning to be used perpetually alongside the revised Missal.

15. But can the Roman Pontiff juridically abrogate the UA? The fullness of power (plenitudo potestatis) of the Roman Pontiff is the power necessary to defend and promote the doctrine and discipline of the Church. It is not “absolute power” which would include the power to change doctrine or to eradicate a liturgical discipline which has been alive in the Church since the time of Pope Gregory the Great and even earlier. The correct interpretation of Article 1 cannot be the denial that the UA is an ever-vital expression of “the lex orandi of the Roman Rite.” Our Lord Who gave the wonderful gift of the UA will not permit it to be eradicated from the life of the Church.

Yes, he can, and Pope Francis has not done so solely by his own initiative, but to definitively carry out the will of the Second Vatican Council, which decreed a revision of the liturgy that involved replacing the former liturgical books, not creating a second set to be used additionally alongside the former books. We've been over that, so no need to repeat what was discussed earlier in this thread.

Furthermore, the same Lord who gave the Church the Usus Antiquior also gave her the Novus Ordo Mass. Burke has no theological basis for claiming that the Lord "will not permit it [the UA] to be eradicated from the life of the Church." That's more a soundbite to rally the troops than a claim that has theological merit.

16. It must be remembered that, from a theological point of view, every valid celebration of a sacrament, by the very fact that it is a sacrament, is also, beyond any ecclesiastical legislation, an act of worship and, therefore, also a profession of faith. In that sense, it is not possible to exclude the Roman Missal, according to the UA, as a valid expression of the lex orandi and, therefore, of the lex credendi of the Church. It is a question of an objective reality of divine grace which cannot be changed by a mere act of the will of even the highest ecclesiastical authority.

No, besides validity there is the consideration of liceity. Burke knows better than to make this mistake, so this is pure sloppiness on his part. The Church regulates the celebration of sacraments with all kinds of legislation for both their valid and their licit celebration. Of course the use of the 1962 Missal by a validly ordained priest will always be a valid sacrament. It might not always be licit in the Roman Church, however.

Those are the comments I offer as this discussion continues...
  • mmeladirectress
    from the Fordham article: Priests can still celebrate “the Latin Mass,” just with the new format and formulas which express a different ecclesiology and theology than the older version.

that just about says it all, doesn't it?!
  • pfreese
    I take that claim with a grain of salt, David Gibson is just a commentator. He isn’t a theologian or even a liturgist. Benedict himself countered that very claim in SP and there’s no indication Francis disagrees.
  • MarkB
    Doesn't mean heretical, mme, which is what I take you to be implying...

Different ecclesiology: the Church is the People of God; the dignity of the assembly and the laity are given greater emphasis in the Novus Ordo Mass than in the 1962 Missal, and the Church as God's people is more fully expressed in the Novus Ordo Mass. That doesn't override that the Church is also hierarchical, but in the 1962 Missal the congregation/assembly is almost irrelevant to the celebration of the Mass. It's a matter of emphasis, a different ecclesiological emphasis that is expressed in the new Mass.

Different theology: see above, as ecclesiology is a subfield of theology.

And the Church as the People of God isn't anything new that Vatican II introduced. Being the People of the Covenant, God's People, goes all the way back to Genesis. It's a matter of restoring to proper place something that had become de-emphasized and neglected in the liturgy. Vatican II revised the liturgy so that the Church's public worship would better express the ecclesiology of the Church as the People of God. The different ecclesiology is a restored liturgical ecclesiology.

Next time, instead of trying to be cute with snark and implications that require people to guess what you mean, please present clear statements and analysis.
  • Andrew_Malton
  • a_f_hawkins
    Back to the claim that 1962 was never "abrogated"
    Surely it was the Roman Missal as existing at the promulgation in 1969 of the NO which was not abrogated. That had received a new Ordo Missae in 1965, and further changes to the rubrics in 1967.
    DECRETUM
    Ordo Missae, « Ritus servandus in celebratione Missae » et « De defectibus in celebratione Missae occurrentibus » eduntur.
    Nuper edita Instructio ad exsequendam Constitutionem de sacra Liturgia plures induxit mutationes, diversi sane momenti, praesertim in Missae celebrationem. Necessarium proinde visum est ut sive Ordo Missae, sive tractatus qui inscribuntur « Ritus in celebratione Missae servandus » et <( De defectibus in Missae celebratione occurrentibus »,<br />quique in Missali romano inveniuntur, nova recensione donarentur, quae praelaudatae Instructionis praeceptis responderet. Consilium itaque ad exsequendam Constitutionem de sacra Liturgia deputatum, prae oculis habens generalem rationem instaurationis Missae, hanc novam recensionem accurate redegit, quam Sacra haec Rituum Congregatio, utendo facultatibus sibi a Sanctissimo Domino nostro Paulo Papa VI tributis, probavit atque uti typicam declaravit, mandans ut publici iuris fieret, et in novis Missalis romani editionibus assumeretur, ita ut normae ibi contentae ab omnibus fideliter serventur.
    Contrariis quibuslibet minime obstantibus.
    Die 27 Ianuarii 1965.
    IACOBUS Card. LERCARO -
    Archiepiscopus Bononiensis
    Praeses Consilii ad eoa sequendam
    Constitutionem de sacra Liturgia
    ARCADIUS M. Card. LARRAONA Praefectus
    Ferdinandus Antonelli, O.F.M., a Secretis
    1965 advert in Notitiae attached, note editio typica
    614 x 600 - 26K
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins
    Good point, but you are using logic and good sense, two quantities that have been lacking in Rome for many years.

It does not take more than a few minutes reading calendars, ordo, and liturgical books to see that the producers of such books are far from infallible.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    1980 x 1546 - 698K
  • Drake
    The problem is that none of these anecdotes are supported by data. In fact, the numbers show a tiny number of Tridentine faithful whose ranks are not growing, and certainly not globally.

Really?

It is interesting that the article does not show any growth/shrinkage data -- only the current numbers of places where the TLM is offered (which is way more than it was 30 years ago). It cites an anecdote from Msgr. Pope, and it gives various opinions full of biased hyperbole, such as (emphasis mine):

This drama with the rightwing of the Catholic Church has been going on for more than fifty years now, and for that entire time popes from Paul VI to John Paul II, and, most especially, to Benedict XVI, have bent over backwards and even twisted tradition and basic reasoning to make special carve-outs for the Trads.

The non-growth premise does not gibe either with my own experience or the hard data showing the growth of traditional religious orders, which are not following the overall pattern of decline. The premise doesn't even make sense in light of the recent documents from Pope Francis, who recognizes that young people are attending the TLM.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Those of you who go to the EF Mass, what changes to the OF would entice you to go?
    Thanked by 2stulte CCooze
  • stulte
    Those of you who go to the EF Mass, what changes to the OF would entice you to go?

While I believe it is valid and licit and that people who attend it are just as much Catholics as myself, I only attend it when I have no other choice. Even if it were said entirely in Latin (plus the traditional sprinkle of Greek and Hebrew), with beautiful vestments, ad orientem, chanted Propers, chanted orations, chanted responses, only men/boy servers, polyphonic Ordinary, in a gloriously beautiful church, Communion distributed on the tongue only while kneeling at the rail, using the Roman Canon, full incense, etc. I'd still prefer to go to an EF low Mass! Why? Because of the prayers of the traditional Mass are better written so as to obtain more graces from God.

For example, the OF doesn't have a true formula for the distribution of Holy Communion. The priest merely says "Corpus Christi" (if using Latin). That's not even a proper sentence! There's no verb! In stark contrast, the priest at the EF prays for you "Corpus Domini nostri Iesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam. Amen." (May the body of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve your soul unto life everlasting. Amen.) In both cases, the individual truly receives our Lord's Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, but in the EF, there is the merit of the priest's prayer for the person he's giving Communion to. There are plenty more examples, but this is one I think many people are familiar with.
  • francis
    In short, the NO will never come close to equaling the dignity, graces, richness of tradition, theology, beauty, evenness of form (prayer and music beautifully stitched together), than the TLM... and it would take 1000 years for the NO to even to begin to come close I suppose... but it will NEVER inherit the tradition, true, pure and unspoiled in that of the Mass of all Time, handed down to us starting with Jesus Christ himself, and then Peter and all the saints. Family is family... you can adopt the children of others, but in reality, they are not cut from the same cloth as that from our Fathers and of our Holy Mother Church.

have bent over backwards and even twisted tradition and basic reasoning to make special carve-outs for the Trads.

yes... they have bent the Mass over backwards, twisted it and carved out the heart, and dubbed it the Novus Ordo. DOA.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    MarkB, your knowledge of Canon Law and liturgical theology is amazing. Given the chance, I'm sure that Cdl. Burke would bow to your expertise!

Drake, my observation corresponds with yours. I was around for the first (sub rosa) celebrations of the EF post- the 1969 diktat. 'The group' grew from a few hundred souls all gathered in a beer hall (this IS Milwaukee, ya'know) in the early '70's to a congregation of a thousand or so at the main EF location (St Stan's) plus a few hundred at each of 4 parochial locations around this Archdiocese, plus another few hundred (or more?) at the SSPX chapel in the metro area.

That's certainly not near the numbers still attending OF Masses. But to say that it is 'not growing' or is 'static' is flat-out wrong.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    In short, the NO will never come close to equaling the dignity, graces, richness of tradition, theology, beauty, evenness of form (prayer and music beautifully stitched together), than the TLM... and it would take 1000 years for the NO to even to begin to come close I suppose... but it will NEVER inherit the tradition, true, pure and unspoiled in that of the Mass of all Time, handed down to us starting with Jesus Christ himself, and then Peter and all the saints. Family is family... you can adopt the children of others, but in reality, they are not cut from the same cloth as that from our Fathers and of our Holy Mother Church.

I don't think it's wise to place the TLM as being more Holy, more beautiful, etc., then the OF. Doing so proves the Popes case the need for the change.
  • francis
    I don't think it's wise to place the TLM as being more Holy, more beautiful, etc., then the OF. Doing so proves the Popes case the need for the change.
    I place nothing.

I am simply a lay person making observations... but these are observations of one who has worked within, lived with and tried to support the NO rite since its inception and I STILL DO TO THIS VERY DAY. Only the Church decides what is right and good.

But living in both rites is a form of spiritual schizophrenia, and at least the present pope is realizing this condition has to come to a halt one way or another.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • CharlesW
    You say schizophrenia like it's a bad thing.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • a_f_hawkins
    dad29 - my recollection (based of course on being delighted with the vernacular) is that 1969 had no impact in England until the translation was completed and implemented in 1973. But of course a key difference in England was Cardinal Heenan's attitude, particularly his insistence (until his death in 1975) that in his diocese every parish had to offer at least one Sunday Mass in Latin. (I think the readings were allowed in the vernacular).
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesSA

None.

The question is a nonstarter for me for a number of reasons, none of which I will get into, but they all boil down to the decision I have made to avoid the OF, except for some major family reasons (funeral or wedding) and probably if there was no EF anywhere near - but regarding the latter exception, I have made the decision to never be anywhere on a Sunday or Holy Day where an EF is not somewhat close. (No, I do not think the OF is invalid, nor do I think I am better than anyone else for attending the EF only; yes, I believe Francis is pope, etc. etc.)

For me personally, the real question on the matter is whether the EF really needed to be changed in the first place. It is one thing to say that maybe some of the EF could have just been put into English, or that Mass shouldn't be sped through, or that the congregation might sing the parts proper to them, that there should be more sung liturgies, etc.; it is an entirely different thing to say that centuries old orations needed to be deleted or heavily edited for "modern man," that the ancient lectionary needed to be abandoned, a novel offertory created replacing the old, etc. I will not be "enticed" to give my assent to or participate in any liturgy which includes these intentional departures from (in many cases, implicit if not explicit rejection of) what came before it.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw CCooze CHGiffen
  • tomjaw

First the edited and overly expanded lectionary needs to go, we need a one year Temporal cycle so we can really become familiar again with the key scriptures. Reading the same events told by different Evangelists, over 3 years is not helpful. We were asked to expand the lectionary, so bring back the proper last Gospel, dig up the old ferial cycles, and expand the Sanctoral cycle (We do not need to hear the common Masses several times a month.

Calendar, the modern calendar is a disgrace, it tears us away from Tradition, from the Anglicans etc., and from the Catholic remains of secular culture (St. Valentine). The destruction of the Sanctoral cycle is also unacceptable, it must be brought back into use.

Get rid of the bidding prayers or at least bring back a traditional structure. Listening to the whining of some woman trying to relive the 60's is not a good expression of the general prayer of the Church.

At Sung Mass the Epistle and Gospel must be sung in Latin.

Inaudible Canon, these prayers are too holy to be spoken aloud. Sections of text made up in the 1960's from research now shown to be wrong should also be consigned to the dustbin.

Prayers at the foot of the Altar, and the Last Gospel need to be brought back.

I could go on but it would be easier to modify the TLM, with the handful of changes as proposed by Vatican II.
  • tomjaw
    Wow even the Tablet is on our side, Francis has really brought the Church together!

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/1/1830/in-defence-of-the-traditional-latin-mass
  • CCoozeCCooze
    What a heartbreaking witness.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw francis
  • It's a very insightful piece, and that would be true even if it weren't published in the Tablet.

Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • dad29
    intentional departures from (in many cases, implicit if not explicit rejection of) what came before it.

VERY significant point there. While Pp. Francis speaks of 'rejection of the liturgy of VatII,' you bring up the rejection of all the forms of liturgy preceding VatII.

One wonders if this irony (and contradiction) ever occurred to Francis.
  • tomjaw
  • francis
    some interesting insights from a reader's comments on another site:

Four hundred years before Christ the prophet Malachias referred to the adorable sacrifice of the Mass to be offered in the distant future by the Gentiles. The prophet, speaking in the name of God, said: ‘For, from the rising of the sun even to the going down My name is great among the Gentiles; and in every place there is sacrifice and there is offered to My name a clean oblation.’ (Mal 1:11). Four times each second, throughout the whole twenty-four hours of each day, the Sacred Host was raised by the hands of a priest, to plead for blessings on sinful man, to atone by this Divine sacrifice, for his sins. Then came the Council and its first fruit, the Novus Ordo Mass. (“A bad Council and a bad Mass” – Third Secret conversation / Card Ratzinger / Fr Ingo Dollinger).

The Roman mystic, Bl Anna Maria Taigi, saw this time of great peril and darkness for the Church commencing in the second half of the 20th century. Similarly, Ven Anne Catherine Emmerich wrote that Lucifer, chained by the merits of Christ's passion, would be let loose for a time about 50 or 60 years before the year 2000.’ Chained by the merits of Christ’s passion but loosed by a loss of efficacy in the Mass, this occurring about the time of the visible crisis caused by the Council and culminating in the liturgical vandalism of the Novus Ordo Mass.

St Alphonsus, Doctor of the Church, explained that the devil aimed ‘to get rid of the Mass by means of the heretics’ making them the precursors of the Antichrist who would succeed in taking away the continual sacrifice. (Dan 11:31) Prior to this, in Dan 8:12 we read that ‘strength was given him against the continual sacrifice, because of sins: and truth shall be cast down on the ground.’ It is sin that causes the Holy Sacrifice to be taken away.

Dom Prosper Gueranger described the collapse or failure of the Mass as the necessary prelude to the Antichrist before he appeared and abolished it. Dom Gueranger described this collapse and consequences when the ‘intensity of the Great Sacrifice of the Mass has been diminished.’ He continued: ‘Terrible as this is, it is but the beginning of that which is to happen, when the devil and his agents let loose upon the earth, will pour out a torrent of trouble and desolation everywhere, as Daniel has predicted … the devil will at length prevail so far as that the celebration of the Great Sacrifice will be suspended, - then will come those days of horror and misery for our earth.’ (Explanation of the Prayers and Ceremonies of Holy Mass, Dom Prosper Gueranger).

St Paul refers to something which restrains the Antichrist, but that when removed, permits him to be revealed. (2 Thess 2:3-8). He describes this restraint as being both neuter (what) and masculine (he). Similarly, Daniel prophesied that ‘the victim (masculine) and the sacrifice (neuter) shall fail: and there shall be in the temple the abomination of desolation’, the Antichrist. Surely this restraint is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Other references (linked to Daniel) are found in Matt 24 and Mark 13.

In 1990, Card Ratzinger, when Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, described the New Mass as ‘devastation, a fabricated liturgy, a banal product’ which had ‘degenerated so that it has become a show’ with ‘momentary success for liturgical fabricators’ and recognized those who do not look to the liturgy for a ‘spiritual show-master.’ (Revue Theologisches, Vol. 20, Feb. 1990, pp. 103-104).

Again, in 1992 he wrote; ‘I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves today depends in great part upon the collapse of the liturgy, which at times is actually being conceived of etsi Deus non daretur: as though in the liturgy it did not matter anymore whether God exists and whether He speaks to us and listens to us. … But if in the liturgy the communion of faith no longer appears, nor the universal unity of the Church and of her history, nor the mystery of the living Christ, where is it that the Church still appears in her spiritual substance?’ he asked. Ratzinger lamented, ‘too often the community is only celebrating itself without its being worthwhile to do so.’ (From My Life: Remembrances 1927-1977).

Dom Gueranger explained ‘were the Mass to be done away with, we should quickly fall again into the state of depravity in which pagan nations are sunk: and this is to be the work of Antichrist: he will take every possible means to prevent the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, so that this great counterpoise being taken away, God would necessarily put an end to all things, having now no object left in their further subsistence.’ The emergence of the Antichrist precedes his public appearance. His arrival occurs at the height of the apostasy and follows the advent of the Antichrist’s precursor, the False Prophet, the antithesis of St John the Baptist, who prepares the way for the ‘man of sin.’
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    In 1990, Card Ratzinger, when Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, described the New Mass as ‘devastation, a fabricated liturgy, a banal product’ which had ‘degenerated so that it has become a show’ with ‘momentary success for liturgical fabricators’ and recognized those who do not look to the liturgy for a ‘spiritual show-master.’ (Revue Theologisches, Vol. 20, Feb. 1990, pp. 103-104).

It would seem that Pope Benedict missed his opportunity. The inferences implied, while not specifically mentioning any names, in some of the narratives quoted from another discussion on another site, that there is antichrist among us in the person of the Pope is ludicrous. Such narratives are not helpful.
  • francis
    No one is alluding to the pope as THE anti-Christ... anti-ChristOLOGY appears in many forms, philosophical, through numerous personalities, movements, etc. Hitler was an anti-Christ... so was his Nazi agenda... so is Marx, so is Communism...

Recently I said to a friend (a week or so before the MP was promulgated on July 12) “...most of religion today is “crossless” which then becomes Christless, or better said, anti-Christ”
  • francis
    ...and for those who are aware of the rumblings of the full third secret, the mention of a “bad council” is something we have been privy to for many years.
  • CharlesW
    It would seem that Pope Benedict missed his opportunity.

Pope Benedict is a very wise man. I think he knew well the hostility, knives in the back from his fellow bishops, and the general hell he would have received if he has followed that opportunity. Given his age and health, he may have seen it as a fight for someone younger and stronger.
  • francis
    “Pope” Benedict? To what are you alluding? His chosen title is Pope Emeritus.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    He seems to be very knowledgeable, and also very wise.
    Therefore, it seems to me that he should have known or at least done "better." I get that he was trying to let the influence of the TLM repair some issues in the NO, but I'm not sure that it worked out quite as well as he'd hoped.
  • francis
    Bxvi suffered from a Hegelian frame of mind... a false dichotomy riddled throughout his writing and thinking. His Motu set the switch track that was then synthesized into the ultimate rejection of liturgical doctrine. (See the mention of Motu 2007 in the accompanying letter of Motu of 2021) [You might say that Hegel is the modernist form of the ancient Ying and Yang.]

Many in the Church came to regard this faculty as an opportunity to adopt freely the Roman Missal promulgated by St. Pius V and use it in a manner parallel to the Roman Missal promulgated by St. Paul VI. In order to regulate this situation at the distance of many years, Benedict XVI intervened to address this state of affairs in the Church. Many priests and communities had “used with gratitude the possibility offered by the Motu proprio” of St. John Paul II. Underscoring that this development was not foreseeable in 1988, the Motu proprio Summorum Pontificum of 2007 intended to introduce “a clearer juridical regulation” in this area.[4] In order to allow access to those, including young people, who when “they discover this liturgical form, feel attracted to it and find in it a form, particularly suited to them, to encounter the mystery of the most holy Eucharist”,[5] Benedict XVI declared “the Missal promulgated by St. Pius V and newly edited by Blessed John XXIII, as a extraordinary expression of the same lex orandi”, granting a “more ample possibility for the use of the 1962 Missal”.[6]

In making their decision they were confident that such a provision would not place in doubt one of the key measures of Vatican Council II or minimize in this way its authority: the Motu proprio recognized that, in its own right, “the Missal promulgated by Paul VI is the ordinary expression of the lex orandi of the Catholic Church of the Latin rite”.[7] The recognition of the Missal promulgated by St. Pius V “as an extraordinary expression of the same lex orandi” did not in any way underrate the liturgical reform, but was decreed with the desire to acknowledge the “insistent prayers of these faithful,” allowing them “to celebrate the Sacrifice of the Mass according to the editio typica of the Roman Missal promulgated by Blessed John XXIII in 1962 and never abrogated, as the extraordinary form of the Liturgy of the Church”.[8] It comforted Benedict XVI in his discernment that many desired “to find the form of the sacred Liturgy dear to them,” “clearly accepted the binding character of Vatican Council II and were faithful to the Pope and to the Bishops”.[9] What is more, he declared to be unfounded the fear of division in parish communities, because “the two forms of the use of the Roman Rite would enrich one another”.[10] Thus, he invited the Bishops to set aside their doubts and fears, and to welcome the norms, “attentive that everything would proceed in peace and serenity,” with the promise that “it would be possible to find resolutions” in the event that “serious difficulties came to light” in the implementation of the norms “once the Motu proprio came into effect”.[11]

With the passage of thirteen years, I instructed the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to circulate a questionnaire to the Bishops regarding the implementation of the Motu proprio Summorum Pontificum. The responses reveal a situation that preoccupies and saddens me, and persuades me of the need to intervene. Regrettably, the pastoral objective of my Predecessors, who had intended “to do everything possible to ensure that all those who truly possessed the desire for unity would find it possible to remain in this unity or to rediscover it anew”,[12] has often been seriously disregarded. An opportunity offered by St. John Paul II and, with even greater magnanimity, by Benedict XVI, intended to recover the unity of an ecclesial body with diverse liturgical sensibilities, was exploited to widen the gaps, reinforce the divergences, and encourage disagreements that injure the Church, block her path, and expose her to the peril of division.

Here is the train-wrecked conclusion (2021) from the switch track (2007).
    Thus, he invited the Bishops to set aside their doubts and fears, and to welcome the norms, “attentive that everything would proceed in peace and serenity,” with the promise that “it would be possible to find resolutions” in the event that “serious difficulties came to light” in the implementation of the norms “once the Motu proprio came into effect”.[11]

Many of us did not subscribe to the “switch track” of renaming the UA the EF which erroneously attempted to put the NO on the same level, with the philosophy of “one enriching the other”.
  • chonakchonak
    An interesting historical point has come up in the letter by Pope Francis accompanying Custodes. He wrote:

I take comfort in this decision from the fact that, after the Council of Trent, St. Pius V also abrogated all the rites that could not claim a proven antiquity, establishing for the whole Latin Church a single Missale Romanum.

Which is curious, since it appears that Pope Francis is attempting to do the opposite here: to phase out the rite which is many hundreds of years old and keep only the one that is about fifty years old. Although Pope Francis' letter mentions the action of St. Pius V, his letter does not come with a citation of the relevant document, the Apostolic Constitution Quo primum.

The text of that document shows how vivid was the concern which St. Pius V held to preserve those older rites. He wrote that where those older rites were present, those churches had the option to adopt the new Missale Romanum if so desired.

That is, if there was (1) approval from the bishop; and (2) approval from the chapter of the diocese; and that (3) the approval from the chapter would have to be unanimous -- or else they were not allowed to switch to the Missal of Pius V. And even if they all agreed that they liked the new Missal, they still were not obliged to adopt it. Pope Pius V had given them an option, not a command: "permittimus", he wrote.

Fr. John Hunwicke, a very capable Latinist, spells this all out in a recent post, knocking down common myths about Quo primum.

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    “Pope” Benedict? To what are you alluding? His chosen title is Pope Emeritus.
    It is common in academia and in other circles to address "retired" or ex-holders of a title by virtue of retirement by their former title; for example, a Professor Emeritus is most often addressed simply as "Professor" - or an ex-president simply as "President" - so why not address or refer to the Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI in ordinary discourse simply as "Pope Benedict"?
  • chonakchonak
    Responding to a_f_hawkins' contention above about whether the 1962 was ever abrogated:

a_f quotes a 1965 decree signed by Cdls. Lercaro and Larraona, with a couple of phrases bolded:

Consilium itaque ad exsequendam Constitutionem de sacra Liturgia deputatum, prae oculis habens generalem rationem instaurationis Missae, hanc novam recensionem accurate redegit, quam Sacra haec Rituum Congregatio, utendo facultatibus sibi a Sanctissimo Domino nostro Paulo Papa VI tributis, probavit atque uti typicam declaravit, mandans ut publici iuris fieret, et in novis Missalis romani editionibus assumeretur, ita ut normae ibi contentae ab omnibus fideliter serventur.
    Contrariis quibuslibet minime obstantibus.

It says the Consilium has issued "this new recension" of three things: the Ordo Missae, the "Ritus servandus" and the "De Defectibus";

and the Congregation of Rites declared the book the typical edition [of those three things] to be used and incorporated in future Missale Romanum editions.

I'm not a canonist, but my understanding is that it takes a more explicit act than this to abrogate something. It seems this document had no effect at all on the propers or calendar of the 1962 Missal. Contrariis quibuslibet minime obstantibus is mere boilerplate verbiage. Or were you trying to make a different point?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    For example, the OF doesn't have a true formula for the distribution of Holy Communion. The priest merely says "Corpus Christi" (if using Latin). That's not even a proper sentence! There's no verb! In stark contrast, the priest at the EF prays for you "Corpus Domini nostri Iesu Christi custodiat animam tuam in vitam aeternam. Amen." (May the body of our Lord Jesus Christ preserve your soul unto life everlasting. Amen.) In both cases, the individual truly receives our Lord's Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, but in the EF, there is the merit of the priest's prayer for the person he's giving Communion to.

It’s a profession of faith, hence the Amen. Does that possess no merit of its own?
    Thanked by 3MarkB CharlesW CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    I wouldn't object to the lack of an explicit verb in the priest's utterance "Corpus Christi"; there isn't a verb in "Mysterium fidei" either or "Dominus vobiscum", but that hasn't been an obstacle before.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Don9of11 dad29
  • a_f_hawkins
    @chonak The point I am trying to make is that the Missal of Pius V has over the years been repeatedly modified, by order of the Popes. It has not (cannot be?) been abrogated, but the typical form in which it NOW exists is not 1962. The edition Paul VI permitted, and did not attempt to abrogate was 1967, that is 1962 with the change to the rubrics in 1965 decreed as typical, and further rubrical changes in 1967.
    1962 is a political matter of negotiations with SSPX, which has muddied the waters.
    Thanked by 2Liam CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    My own attempt to resolve the situation would involve a new Tridentine editio typica, a key feature of which would change the shape of the Triduum back to more like 1955, while otherwise preserving most of 1965/7. This is entirely in the "spirit of SP".
  • SalieriSalieri
    You mean, actually reform the celebration of the Roman Rite according to Sacrosanctum Concillium?! Obviously, you reject Vatican II!! (NB: Purple...kinda...)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Andrew_Malton
    And what about the Office?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I've been following this topic since it began and I have been silent for the most part. I've only recently begun to reply. I have read the documents many times, I understand the need for one Roman Missal, one form of celebration. Pope Francis letter explaining his reasons makes perfect sense to me. Yet he says in his letter something that everyone seems to be overlooking.

At the same time, I am saddened by abuses in the celebration of the liturgy on all sides. In common with Benedict XVI, I deplore the fact that “in many places the prescriptions of the new Missal are not observed in celebration, but indeed come to be interpreted as an authorization for or even a requirement of creativity, which leads to almost unbearable distortions”

First, I hope we are all storming heaven with prayers because the same group of Bishops, who are now deciding the fate of the TLM, are the same group who have allowed the "distortions" of the Ordinary Form. Who do I hold accountable for this?

I grew up with the Novus Ordo Latin, I sang with choir for many years. I learned to sing the Latin Masses and Latin Hymns. Our parish wasn't big on chant so there wasn't much of it when I was singing. The music director started playing in 1929 at age 13, he more than anyone was keenly aware of the old rite and how it was celebrated and how the new Missal was to be celebrated, our pastor was also was aware. They did their best to preserve the old rite and celebrate it in the new according to the documents of VII. It can be done and be done beautifully. If the new Missal is celebrated as it was intended, there would be no need for the TLM.

When I go to mass and I hear Amazing grace at offertory or Jesus Loves Me This I Know at Eucharistic Adoration what am I supposed to do? When I hear a priest reading the Eucharistic prayers and interjecting language that isn't there... I could go on.

Why can't I come to mass, the mass I have grown up with my whole life and know for certain that it will be celebrated in holiness and not creativity, innovations and experimentation. Why can't the same musicians, priest and bishops who celebrate the TLM, in the same parish or diocese and do so with utter precision and holiness, celebrate the OF with the same holiness and precision? I don't mean this to be a blanket statement because I know there are priest, bishops and musicians who strive for holiness in either form.

I'm trying to do my best by letting priest, musicians and laity know that there is away forward, that there is a better quality of hymn available. That celebrating one form can be done with great beauty and holiness. Some of us, including myself, have already begun by publishing hymnals with good solid Catholic hymns, or composing good Catholic hymns and music. I think all of our efforts and energies would be better spent in bringing about the fruits of Vatican II. We need to support Pope Francis and pray for him an all who are serving our Lord. Okay, I'm done venting! Forgive me.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions