It happened: Traditionis custodes (TLM crackdown) (Note: discussion is on hiatus.)
  • Elmar
    the Holy Father surrounds himself with people who hate the faith and every traditional expression of it
    ... 6) Cardinal Marx...
    Now you lost me too; even if I read 'hate' in your advantage as 'appear to hate'.
    I hope that bishop Bode can be added to the list soon.

In case you take this as a reason to refuse to obey the holy father: how else shoud this be called rather than 'schismatic'?
    We are luchy that this attitude isn't prevalent in our own TLM community (I believe that our pastor would counter it by all means - like our bishop for that matter, see above).
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • Elmar
    Thanks pfreese for your link, a little further on americamagazine.org I found this one which I'd like to share (I recognise a few aspects of my own short history with the TLM) and that is very much to the point in this discussion:
    I once fell in love with the Latin Mass—which is why I understand why Pope Francis restricted it
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    In case you take this as a reason to refuse to obey the holy father: how else shoud this be called rather than 'schismatic'?
    Protestantism?
    Thanked by 3Elmar Kathy CharlesW
  • Predictably, Commonweal magazine, in an article by Rita Ferrone, has responded favorably to Pope Francis’ Traditiones Custodes. This magazine puts value on good writing and Ferrone follows that tradition, but regrettably shows no inclination to face shortcomings of liturgies of the typical Catholic parish that has fed the rise of the traditionalist movement.

https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/living-catholic-tradition?utm_source=Main+Reader+List&utm_campaign=2e07596713-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_16_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_407bf353a2-2e07596713-92491689
    Thanked by 3tomjaw Chrism CharlesW
  • mmeladirectress
    tomjaw,
    thanks for the link to Bp. Paprocki's interview.

I read this
    ** CWR: In releasing the motu proprio, the Holy Father indicated that Rome had surveyed bishops throughout the world regarding the Traditional Latin Mass. Were you one of the bishops surveyed?

** Bishop Paprocki: I do not recall getting that questionnaire. The Holy Father referenced it in releasing this motu proprio, so I was wondering about receiving it myself. So I went through the USCCB website and did find it there, dated April 2020. But I did not receive anything in the mail nor by email that called my attention to it. You would really have to be proactive in following the USCCB website to have seen it.

i am not familiar with the USCCB website. Has anyone on this forum seen the TLM questionnaire there, and can give a link? thanks
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    I always try to understand what’s behind the people who are too young to have lived the pre-conciliar liturgy but who want it.
    --Pp. Francis

The key phrase here is "...who are too young to have lived..."

They are people who are NOT inclined to resent Church authority, and are not likely to be arguing over Church doctrine--they are 'too young' to have suffered the abuse that many Catholics took in the '65-'71 period and their doctrine is learned from the priest(s) celebrating the Mass, almost all of whom were ordained AFTER Vat.II and in agreement with its teachings/theology.

Chonak posted a long list of key phrases from the Lit Doc.....back in the day, we suggested that Articles 36 and 54 actually meant what they said. We were told that they did NOT mean what they said--or in the alternative, that Latin wouldn't be allowed anyway. We see the same obstinate refusal to acknowledge 'What IS' today, and not only in the Church.

As to the question raised by someone earlier "...what will the Bishops do?": with few exceptions here in the USA, Bishops are "studying" the matter, and nothing will change until they finish "studying" the document.

If you can't discern the underlying meaning of that non-action, consider again the gravity of the surgery Francis had only a few weeks ago. Hint: the Bishops will not smack the hornet's nest for a guy who will soon enjoy his eternal reward.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    I deleted someone's rude personal comment.
    Thanked by 2MarkB CatherineS
  • chonakchonak

i am not familiar with the USCCB website. Has anyone on this forum seen the TLM questionnaire there, and can give a link?

If the site is used to distribute information to bishops, there may be portions not open to the general public.
  • ghmus7
    This is a good time to write a kindly letter to your bishop, stating that there (if indeed) there appears to be no division or rancor with the TLM in your diocese.
  • pfreese
    “Hint: the Bishops will not smack the hornet's nest for a guy who will soon enjoy his eternal reward.“

That’s awfully ominous, do you have some inside information on that? The Holy Father shows no signs of slowing down. I remember commentators predicting Benedict would drop dead within a year of his resignation, and he was way more frail that Francis at that age. In all likelihood he’ll be with us for several more years at least, and even if not, the “problem” of TLM skepticism at the Vatican isn’t going away anytime soon short of Cardinal Burke or Muller walking out of the next conclave with a white skullcap. My suggestion for my TLM friends is prepare for the worst, pray for the best.

PS, Cardinal Gregory of DC just withdrew permission for a TLM to be celebrated at the National Shrine on Assumption. The “worst” could happen sooner that you think if you’re not careful.
  • dad29
    Keep your eyes open, pfreese. Read the signs of the times. Cancellation of scheduled public events (grandparents' Mass) is one indicator.

More to the point on this issue: the document is not-too-well written, notably NOT including a delayed effective date.

What's the rush? Another week of scribbling and a month of 'pause' certainly won't kill anyone. (Cough)

And do you have 'inside information' on the mind-set of a new Pope vis-a-vis the UA? Please share!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • pfreese
    As a life insurance underwriter by trade I can tell you that the Holy Father’s recent health issues are nothing out of the ordinary for an 84 year old, by no means an indicator of imminent mortality. But if I’m wrong and he does pass away by years end, maybe I’ll buy you a beer.
  • Liam
    Impaired hardware can ... last a lot longer than people think, especially when combined with a constitution hardened by long experience with impairments. (My late mother took after her aunt in this regard: seemingly very impaired and vexed for decades, but still fiercely operable into the nineties. Not every nonagenarian has had decades of robust physical health.)

Getting software and hardware to agree on a sign-off moment together is itself a much greater challenge than one might imagine without much experience.
  • [Off-topic warning] As an insurance underwriter, you know that some people can get insurance policies more easily than others, that some policies are more costly than others, and that behavior often impacts premium.

[On topic, again]

I'm struck by how many bishops are, very calmly, asserting that in full compliance with the directives of TC, nothing whatsoever will change in their dioceses. Bishop Paprocki dispensed his entire diocese because Canon Law allows him to do so. Bishop Olmsted gives permission to all seminarians and priests to learn the older form under his appointed delegate. Our local ordinary has informed us (and it's published in our bulletin) that we may continue with his blessing.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Schönbergian
    I guess those bishops just don't understand Vatican II.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw stulte dad29
  • I see the purple, but may I respond in non-purple to the effect that they are striving to be real traditionis custodes?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw dad29
  • dad29
    But if I’m wrong and he does pass away by years end

Hedging? Only 6 months or so? Over the price of a BEER?
  • Andrew_Malton
    In Hamilton: two named Priests have been given "faculty" to celebrate publically using the 1962 books, in three places. More or less as they have been doing already, to be fair.

Every other public Mass must be in English (or "in the vernacular in our culturally diverse parishes") using the 2011, and may not be at the high altar if there is one.
  • Accompaniment, Andrew, appears to mean less than we thought it did.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Kathy
    Some bishops have simply exercised their authority as local ordinaries.

They have invoked a canon that recognizes their right to dispense from universal and particular disciplinary law when it is for the spiritual good of their particular flock.

It's their right and responsibility to exercise their authority in their own dioceses.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I know that a lot of people don't like Fr. Zuhlsdorf's ... style.
    However, I feel like this post of his gets at the heart of why people are trying so hard to forcefully shove down our throats Traditionis custodes as though it isn't inherently flawed and self-contradictory.
  • Kathy
    I think that as Catholics we're supposed to take papal legislation seriously.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Elmar MarkS
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I think this thread, and even the post I shared above, is proof that we are all taking it quite seriously.
    The fact that this was done to people who take their faith seriously, while leaving prevalent open heresies and abuses be, begs a much more serious question... which has not been left unmentioned by people in this thread.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Chaswjd
    Andrew_Malton do you know under what authority masses in Hamilton have to be said in the vernacular? I understand under Traditionis Custodes that a bishop has the authority to regulate masses said pursuant to the 1962 Missal. But the document does not regulate masses said pursuant to the Missal of Paul VI. Canon law provides: "Can. 928 The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in the Latin language or in another language provided that the liturgical texts have been legitimately approved." It was the explicit desire of the Second Vatican Council that "steps should be taken so that the faithful may also be able to say or to sing together in Latin those parts of the Ordinary of the Mass which pertain to them."

Given this, I wonder how a bishop could require that a mass said according to the Missal of Paul VI not be said in Latin.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Kathy
    Then-Cardinal Ratzinger said something interesting in his extremely relevant The Ratzinger Report. He was asked why many liturgical abuses on the left were ignored while the Lefebvrites were challenged. He answered that it was because Lefebvre had organized. At that point he had not ordained bishops--thankfully, Ratzinger said.
  • Elmar
    I'm seriously puzzled by what Fr. Z. writes in his blog post linked above:
    Reception theory states that a law, in order to be a law, a binding law, must be received by the community for which it is intended. If they community does not receive it, that is, they reject it outright or it fails to have any effect on how they live, the presumed law is non-binding and is really no law at all.

With this reasoning the magisterium of the pope should be restricted to ex cathedra pronouncements on faith & morals, everything else being mere suggestions.

Now I understand why the speed limit on our local motorway is never enforced, and I'm about the only one to respect it: it's non-binding because everyone is speeding!
    (At least our old-world speed limit sings are beautiful ornaments of the public space...)
  • CCoozeCCooze
    it's non-binding because everyone is speeding
    Well, you know what they say... you don't want to be the last / slowest person in a group of speeders, because you'll be the one picked off by the police.
  • Elmar
    Traffic sometimes feels like rushing through a clindestine Low Mass pre-1853...
    The symbolism of red circles, triangles and octogons and arabic ciphers doesn't appear to relate to modern man any more than incense, altar bells and gregorian chant - maybe translating traffic signs into the vernacular like in the US might help...
  • Kathy
    Given reception theory, what would we say about Humanae Vitae?
  • Kathy,

Humanae Vitae is doctrine, not discipline.
    Thanked by 3Kathy francis tomjaw
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Besides what Fr. stated in the linked post?
    Reception theory states that a law, in order to be a law, a binding law, must be received by the community for which it is intended. If they community does not receive it, that is, they reject it outright or it fails to have any effect on how they live, the presumed law is non-binding and is really no law at all.

This doesn’t apply to moral law, because it flows from above reception or rejection by mere human beings. In the late 1960’s and after, dissidents from Humanae vitae infamously tried to apply “reception theory” to the Church’s teaching on contraception. Fail.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Kathy
    Yeah, I couldn't possibly read everything written on this subject.
  • Andrew_Malton
    @Chaswjd, I am looking at a letter signed by the Bishop, HE Douglas Crosby, OMI.

As Bishop, he notes that he "regulates the liturgical celebrations of his diocese", and he refers to the GIRM, especially #299 ("the altar should be built separate from the wall..."), and to his own 2018 pastoral letter. Those are his bases.

From the pastoral letter (previously discussed), it is already clear that His Excellency sees his authority as extending far enough to limit or specify the choices available in the rubrics. His Excellency doesn't refer this new restriction to the motu proprio, except in so far as the latter restates the Bishop’s liturgical authority in canon law.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    as Catholics we're supposed to take papal legislation seriously.

According to Mgr. Hayburn (Papal Legislation on Sacred Music) nobody ever did before.
  • Interesting pair of articles referencing St. John XXIII's Veterum Sapientia (1962) in connection with analysis of Traditionis custodes. Dr. Nancy Llewellyn writes at NLM that Veterum Sapientia "envisioned and required a broad restoration of Latin culture throughout the Universal Church, and provided an arrestingly concrete and detailed plan to make it happen."
    And yet it is essential to note that no document of the Second Vatican Council, nor any subsequent papal document, has ever abrogated or even modified Veterum Sapientia. If one defines law as valid statute rather than simply what people happen to be doing, then Veterum Sapientia has been the law and policy of the Universal Church since it was signed, and remains so today.
    To what extent the Council Fathers shared the vision of Veterum Sapientia is an investigable question, especially given what actually happened in the years and decades following the Council’s conclusion. It yet remains a matter of fact that neither the Fathers, nor any subsequent synod, nor indeed any of John’s successors ever abridged or abrogated it. Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI, in fact, were careful to cite it in initiatives of their own.
    Dr. Llewellyn's main argument is that the use of the tradition of Vatican II as a justification for Traditionis custodes may be a bit selective in practice. Cardinal Brandmüller, on the other hand, uses Veterum Sapientia as an example of a merely ecclesiastical law that never came into force in the first place because it was never received.
    First of all, it should be noted that a law does not require special acceptance by the interested parties to acquire binding force. However, it must be received by them. Reception means affirmative acceptance of the law in the sense of “making it your own.” Only then does the law acquire confirmation and permanence, as the “father” of canon law, Gratian († 1140), taught in his famous Decretum. Here is the original text: “Leges instituuntur cum promulgantur. Firmantur cum moribus utentium approbantur. Sicut enim moribus utentium in contrariem nonnullae leges hodie abrogatae sunt, ita moribus utentium leges confirmantur” (c. 3 D. 4). “Laws are established when they are promulgated. They are confirmed when they are approved by the behavior of those who use them. For as due to the behaviors of users in an opposing direction, quite a few laws today have been abrogated, so through the behaviors of the users the laws are confirmed.”

This means, however, that for a law to be valid and binding, it must be approved by those to whom it is addressed. Thus, on the other hand, some laws today are abolished by non-compliance, just as, on the contrary, the laws are confirmed by the fact that those concerned observe them.
    As an example of a lex mere ecclesiastica [a merely ecclesiastical law], consider the Apostolic Constitution Veterum sapientia of Pope John XXIII of February 22, 1962, in which the Pope prescribed Latin for university teaching, among other things. Young scholar that I was, I reacted only by shaking my head. Well, Latin was the norm at the Gregorian University in Rome, and this made good enough sense given the babel of languages among the students, who came from all continents. But whether Cicero, Virgil and Lactantius would have understood the lessons is doubtful. And then: the history of the Church, even of modern times, taught in Latin? With all the love professed for the Roman language—how could it work? And so it remained. Veterum sapientia was hardly printed before it was soon forgotten.

But what this inglorious demise of an Apostolic Constitution meant for the prestige of papal authority became evident only five years later, when Paul VI’s Encyclical Humanae vitae (1968) was nearly drowned amid protests from the Western world.
    Robert Moynihan's translation at Rorate Cæli (7/29/2021).
    The implication being that if Traditionis custodes isn't generally followed, then it will never become valid law. Cardinal Brandmüller makes other insightful points as well.
  • Arthur,

Cardinal Brandmuller not-withstanding, an Apostolic Constitution which requires that what had been done earlier, disciplinarily, continue, is distinct from a doctrinal statement that contraception is always and everywhere evil.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • ghmus7
    You know what's so bizarre? At one point, it was (almost) anathema to offer the mass in any other language than Latin, now it is anathema to offer it in Latin.
    Only in the Catholic church.....
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    Well, at the time of Trent a tabernacle on the altar was forbidden. But within a few years disobedience was so common that the Missal was revised (!) to provide rubrics for its presence. And before long it became all but compulsory.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • now it is anathema to offer it in Latin

Take this as direct evidence that the Council and His Holiness are directly in conflict.

Furthermore, take this reality as evidence of the sheer illogicality of the Missal of Paul VI being capable of being the unique expression of the lex orandi.

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Chris, Cdl. Brandmüller also draws attention to your distinction in the article: "This—and this must be strongly emphasized—naturally applies only to purely ecclesiastical laws, but in no case to those based on divine or natural law:"
  • Chaswjd
    It is not anathema to offer the mass in Latin according to the Missal of Paul VI. Canon 928 indicates that the mass is to be offered in Latin or the vernacular if there is an approved translation. What the recent motu proprio regulates is the offer of the mass according to the 1962 Missal.

Although some bishops claim to the contrary, I do not see what authority a local bishop has to forbid the celebration of the mass in Latin according to the Missal of Paul VI. Nor for that matter can I see where a bishop can regulate saying the mass according to the Missal of Paul VI ad orientem. But perhaps that is me being rigid.
  • a_f_hawkins
    But the bishop as chief liturgist for his diocese can overridethe law 'for the pastoral good'
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Hawkins,

That's right. Banning Latin can never be for pastoral good, so a bishop who uses his rightful authority to do that which is contrary to his duty lives and walks a contradiction.

Arthur,

Thank you for that clarification.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Chris, just for the record, it is the Cardinal's clarification. I recommend everyone read his short intervention which succinctly (albeit preliminarily) addresses certain legal aspects of bishops not implementing Traditionis custodes.
  • CharlesW
    Advantages to the TLM have little to do with Latin. It states the theology it presents in clear terms and is not as subject to individual interpretation as the NO. Options are few and far between and creative interpretations and practices are generally forbidden. Music is superior, or should be. In practice it wasn't/isn't always better. I have heard some really bad music at those Latin masses. Latin is a side issue and it is far too easy to be sidetracked and go down rabbit holes over it. I don't discourage the study of Latin since I had courses in it myself. It does, however, have very limited applications.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Schönbergian
    Latin isn't the issue since the main obstacle to Latin Novus Ordo Masses is the perception that they're completely unnecessary in light of the usus antiquior.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Chrism
    The orientation of the Missal of Paul VI is anthropocentric, while the orientation of the other form is theocentric
    The TLM was not so God-centered as it was priest-centered

To my mind, treating either Sacramental Form as if it were some sort of profane but not sordid human play is tempting when comparing liturgy, but seems to fit the examination of conscience's definition of some kind of imperfect speech. Yes, there are rubrics which might be "better" or "less better", but these are mere accidents, and we do not attribute the accidental properties to the Substance, nor does the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass permit any blemishes.

Q. Where do Traditional Catholics go to Mass?
    A. Their local parish!
    Q. What do Traditional Catholics complain about their local priest?
    A. Nothing!
    Q. What do Traditional Catholics say when their Bishop tells them to do something they don't like?
    A. "Yes!"

What we are living through in the world today is a phenomenon called Post-Modernism. Wikipedia defines this as:
    an attitude of skepticism, irony, or rejection toward what it describes as the grand narratives and ideologies associated with modernism, often criticizing Enlightenment rationality and focusing on the role of ideology in maintaining political or economic power

The word I'd like to emphasize is attitude. It is not an intellectual or theological proposition, it is merely the fashion in the air. Go to any cocktail party, even one limited to serious, practicing adult Catholics, and you will find that the guests trade cynicisms and ironies as if they were the very essence of wit. It is seen as practically a work of mercy these days to instruct the ignorant about the latest negative news about this or that. And when Catholics get together, the target is often Holy Mother Church, her ministers and laypeople, her rules and her present state. This is not in any way limited to those who attend Masses celebrated according to the older Missal.

For many, the choice of attendance at a particular Mass liturgically consummates their particular postmodern attitude, whatever it is. Roaming Catholics, we call ourselves - roaming to find our own place in a big Church - how rich we are to be able to drive miles to our place of preference. Do we find Christ there, passing by Christ so many times in tabernacles along the way, or do we mostly find ourselves? And we are not mere materialists, we are not merely looking for bells and smells and sights and sounds, a pretty girl in a mantilla and a handsome young altar boy, nor even do we seek beauty alone (in which we may glimpse too the divine), but we also put on identity, and adopt principled positions, and find a sense of family. And the liturgical progressives do the same, although they seem (I am not one of them, so my characterization is unreliable) to deliberately seek the ugly and artistically mundane and the grace that churns most plentifully in sin's wake. But in so doing, we all neglect Christ in the tabernacles we pass, and fail to find family in the people nearer to us (who by definition are our neighbors).

So this too is a criticism, an irony - but not a rejection. We are postmodern Catholics and this is how we roll. If we can be honest with ourselves and with others, we can admit that nobody is stuck in any past, that we are all creatures of mid-2021 who freely choose to do what we want. We are doing our best to find our way, so cut us some slack!

But time has marched on, and our post-modernism too has "gone out of fashion". The new era will reject "victimary thinking" and allow "faith, trust, dialogue, performance, and sincerity [to] work to transcend postmodern irony". On the other hand, the "the triteness and shallowness resulting from the instantaneous, direct, and superficial participation in culture made possible by the internet, mobile phones...and similar means" produces "a 'silent autism' superseding 'the neurosis of modernism and the narcissism of postmodernism'", in which "the 'typical intellectual states' are...'ignorance, fanaticism and anxiety' and...a 'trance-like state' in those participating in it."

So with all this background let me nail a few theses to the door:
    1. a) The TLM is a valid Rite of the Church with many good qualities, and b) it also attracts Postmodern Catholics because of its intrinsic unmodernness (i.e., that which was unmodern already in 1962). c) In addition, its juxtaposition as an Anti-Modern alternative against the Modern Rite plays to so many Postmodern themes. Reason a) is a great reason why anyone should go to the TLM, reason b) is why the TLM may be pastorally helpful in reaching Postmoderns, and reason c) is a purely secular and/or ideological motive for attending.
    2. The TLM attracts Postmodern Catholics better than the NO.
    3. Because many TLM attendees have little to no self-awareness of their Postmodernness, they do not fight against Postmodern tendencies and in some cases see them as pure virtues. As such, the TLM communities end up fostering Postmodern attitudes within the Church (i.e., skepticism, irony, rejection toward the modern Magisterium), including erroneous exaggerations (e.g., claims of defectability) that can be truly sinful and in some cases even rupture Communion.
    4. Like Modernism before it, Postmodernism is hard to pin down.
    5. Like Modernism before it, nobody admits to being a Postmodernist.
    6. Unlike Theological Modernism before it, Postmodernist theological movements have not been as strongly nor cohesively condemned by the Magisterium.
    7. Whether he is doing so rightly or wrongly, His Holiness is addressing a real and damaging phenomenon.

While many people are doing and saying things right now, and will continue to do so in the future, this Motu Proprio should be seen not only as the declaration of future annihilation that its author claims it to be, but also as an opportunity for humble correction of our behavior and thinking. As an analogy, we know singing is good but now in 2021 it also brings the appearance of Covid risk; in order to do Church music today we need to transcend this limitation. Where the TLM is still offered, we need to retain the good but filter out even the appearance of the bad. In so doing, we will prepare the way for some future Pope to perhaps, God willing, find that the attitudes mentioned in Traditionis Custodes have been largely cured by the severe approach taken by his predecessor Francis, and the restrictions he imposed are no longer necessary or helpful.
  • tomjaw
    Latin isn't the issue since the main obstacle to Latin Novus Ordo Masses is the perception that they're completely unnecessary in light of the usus antiquior.
    This is the conclusion of a large number of our diocesan priests. We could say why buy a Ford, when you can have a classic Rolls Royce?
  • chonakchonak
    I am deleting off-topic comments.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions