Gregorio Web App with GUI - "Illuminare Score Editor"
  • "Antiphon," isn't it?
  • WJA
    MarkThompson 3:01PM
    "Antiphon," isn't it?

That seems logical, but I've never seen that character used in a book. Does anyone have an example?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    See for example the Psalterium Monasticum (1982): every antiphon has A/ and the mode above the initial.
  • WJA
    See for example the Psalterium Monasticum (1982): every antiphon has A/ and the mode above the initial.

I see. So it's substituted for the text "Ant." that is used the books I've seen. Is that pretty much the only application? Is it an older character or new?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    As far as I can see, it's a new character designed in the 1980's. Next to the Psalterium Monasticum, Solesmes also uses it in Liber Hymnarius, the new Antiphonarium Monasticum and in Les Heures Grégoriennes. Before that, we see either "Ant." or "Aña."
  • Steven,

Thank you!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    @ the font smvanroode linked (thanks, by the way!), it includes not just the V\ and R\, but also the A\, which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask those who are more knowledgeable than me: what is A\ and what is it used for?

Just as in the Graduale, different chants are labeled IN, GR, OF, CO, etc., according to their function, in Antiphonaries (for the Divine Office or Liturgy of the Hours), antiphons are also labelled A\1, A\2, so you know what order the Antiphons come in.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    (sorry, missed the page turn and the answers already given!)
  • This may be a bug inherent with Gregorio and not the interface proper, but I am unable to include semicolons in the "annotation:" header field (the program assumes that the semicolon ends the string). Any workarounds/solutions?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    If you haven't tried it already, you might just try "\;"   I don't know if this will work, but I know of programs similar to Gregorio using the same underlying assumptions for which preceding something like a semicolon with a backslash is the way of producing the desired output. When I get a chance, I'll take a look. If it doesn't work, something like that should be encoded as an extension.
  • I wonder if anyone can help me with a neume that I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to create. I'm using the Illuminare Editor.

I might want to name it a Liquescent Oriscus-Reversus. If you happen to have an ARII, you would find it on page 274 in the Magnificat Antiphon (Cum venerit) in the last line of the chant, on the last syllable of "testimonium". I tried many different approaches, the last being um(ggo<f~). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • veromaryveromary
    I remember some other limitations with gregorio's liquescents coming up on the gregorio users mailing list a while back:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/gregorio-users@gna.org/msg00810.html
    It's not the same thing, and I haven't checked if it's fixed, but Tracy at the end of the thread is the one to know.
    It doesn't seem to handle liquescents dangling off an oriscus. (ggf~) might be the closest you can get without getting in and hacking the source code.
    It looks like the gf~ bit is translated into a single glyph in gregoriotex.
    Send images to gregorio-users@gna.org and see what they can make of them.
  • Is there a way to put the versicle sign in the annotations? I would like it to be over the large D in Deus in adjutorium
  • I would 2nd that!
  • veromaryveromary
    In the tex file you'd put
    \gresetfirstlineaboveinitial{\Vbar}{\Vbar}
    \includescore{filename.tex}

and you might want to redefine the \Vbar to use the versiculum font of Mr Stephen van Roode.

but for that you'd need to install gregorio, TeX, etc on your computer - which is totally possible. Or get someone with gregorio installed to process it for you and send you the eps/pdf.
  • bbloomf
    It should work if you just put \Vbar as the annotation in the header, like this:

user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: \Vbar;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 4.5;
    %height: 11;
    %%
    (c4)Ut(g) hoc(j)

(It will only work in the PDF output though, not the preview)
  • Is there any way to include 2 annotation headings, in order to get two lines of text above the large initial letter? For instance, often a chant has what it is listed (i.e. HYMN, ANT.) and then below that the mode (i.e. II D, or VIII G*). I tried putting the annotation heading in twice, as per the instructions on the gregorio website, but it didn't work.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I also noticed this anomaly of only processing a single annotation heading and wish that the two annotation heading property might be implemented.
    Additionally, the volume on the score playback seems very quiet, even with my computer volume control set at maximum level.

But, all in all, thank you for a useful Gregorio interface.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    This is a wonderful application, but could somebody more technically inclined help me with something? Every time I open this application I get an "Unresponsive Script" warning window that pops up almost every 5-10 seconds and it's driving me nuts! I'm using Firefox 13 and I installed a number of apps that stop scripts from running, but while they solve the pop-up problem, they also render the web app unusable. Any help is appreciated!
  • BenBen
    I've found the play score function not working for me lately.

Windows 7, Chrome, version 20.0.1132.57 m.
  • BenBen
    Very minor bug report: when you run a score with less than one line, the file becomes thinner than expected, presumably because there is no second line to extend further left than the dropcap.

Here is two files that were run with the exact same settings, but the first simply had less content, keeping it to one line.

Example 1
    Example 2
  • WJA
    One more bug report: when you generate an .eps file, about half the time it seems to generate a garbage file. And it's not related to coding errors. I can generate the same .gabc file twice and the first time get a good .eps and the second time get garbage.

I don't have similar problems with the pdf version.

By the way, if the saintly folk who created this absolutely wonderful tool ever have nothing else better to do (ha, ha), adding the option to generate a jpg or tiff or png would be nice.

I use Publisher and it doesn't import PDFs nicely, so I end up generating a PDF, selecting the image, zooming it to 400% or so, and copying the image, and then pasting that into Publisher. So the option to generate a nice image file (besides .eps) would be awesome.
  • bbloomf
    Hmm. I just did a bunch a EPS files, but they all worked. Maybe you could attach the invalid EPS file, so I could take a look at it?

It wouldn't be too difficult to add a generate PNG button, but I will need to add some options to go along with it so that PNGs of different DPIs can be produced.
  • WJA
    Hmm. I just did a bunch a EPS files, but they all worked. Maybe you could attach the invalid EPS file, so I could take a look at it?

If I had been smart, I would saved some the last time it happened and mentioned it then, but I didn't. Next time I use the app and get a garbage .eps, I'll save it and send it along.

Thanks again for creating that app, by the way. I'm quite comfortable using Gregorio on my Ubuntu machine, but that web-based app is so nice for generating things quickly.
  • donr
    I think this app is awesome, thanks for it.
  • I have one request and a question. First, can you include the font "Cardo" in the program? Second, when I try to include translation lyrics Illuminare produces an error.
  • bbloomf
    Cardo is actually one of the fonts that I tried to include, but I couldn't get it to work properly for some reason. Could you include the GABC that produces the error, or the error itself?
  • I tried again and I guess I had been doing the wrong thing for translation - I am new at this. I think somebody who is very familiar with LaTex would have to make Cardo into a font that can be used on it. I looked into it and it seems involved and I am still a noob at all of this.

Two questions: One, is there a way that I can see the main .tex file for something that I do? I am trying to learn Gregorio and it would be helpful to see how it is set up. Two, is there a way to get red lines in Illuminare?
  • bbloomf
    I've just changed it so that the intermediary files, such as the main .tex file no longer get deleted immediately, so you can get them from http://illuminarepublications.com/gregorio/tmp/ immediately after you've created a PDF. It will have the same name as the PDF that was generated, but will end with .main.tex instead of .pdf

No, there is not currently a way to get red staff lines from this web version.
  • chonakchonak
    OTOH, red staff lines are an option in the older gregorio interface at http://gregorio.gabrielmass.com .
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    And I like being able to have red lines from your interface. I've already used it a few times successfully. Many thanks.
  • I know this is sort of... wrong... but is there any way to have multiple verses stacked vertically in Gregorio? I am skeptical as to the possibility but thought I'd ask. I have some unavoidable verse-stacking that needs to happen for work and they can't be talked out of it!
  • No, there isn't currently any way to do verse stacking with Gregorio, though on some occasions, it would indeed be useful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    http://home.gna.org/gregorio/gabc/details#translation

I think there's a feature for adding one extra line of text, as a "translation".
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The extra line, however, is set in italics. It should be possible to tweak this by going into the TeX code.
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, there's some information here:
    https://mail.gna.org/public/gregorio-users/2009-01/msg00019.html

Customizing the format probably requires installing and running Gregorio and LaTeX locally.
  • In the preview screen, only the first few notes appear and (gf) apears with (cd) below it. Using chrome and firefox and IE. Any advice?
  • Ralph, Could you copy and paste in here the full text of your GABC so that I can try to reproduce this?

Thanks.
  • user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: vi ;
    centering-scheme: english;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: ;
    %font: times;
    %width: 3.5;
    %height: 9;
    %%
    (c4)SAn-(fg/hf/gvgf~)ctus,(f.)(,) San-(fe~)ctus,(d.c.) (,) San-(f/g'h//jh/hvGF)ctus.(g.f.) (;)
    (ix)Dó-(fh/jij)mi-(ih)nus (h.) De-(j)(ix)us(ih)
    Sa-(gf/ghf/fvD'C//f/gh/jh/hvGF)ba-(gf)oth.(f.) (:)
    Ple-(f)ni(hj) sunt(j.) cae-(hgj)li(j.) et(jk~) (ix)ter-(kvJI'j) r{a}(i.h.) (,) glo-(j )(ix)ri-(ih)a(gh) tu(hvGF)a.(f.)(:)
    1280 x 1024 - 145K
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • Should be fixed now. Thanks.
  • still that extra pes (ac)
    1280 x 1024 - 193K
  • caused by pes (fg)
    792 x 589 - 66K
  • What browser is this in, Ralph? Firefox? I will look into this when I get more time, but it seems to work properly in Chrome.
  • IE, FIrefox and Chrome give the same results>
  • Strange, those three browsers all work for me, although IE was doing some other weird things.
  • donr
    Ralph, you may want to provide the version numbers of the browsers you are using so bbloomf can check that as well.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Hello, it would seem that the program doesn't recognize 'ash' ('æ') with an accent mark, 'ǽ'. I tried using Chrome but I'm still having this issue. Thanks for making this amazing program!
  • chonakchonak
    Use
    <sp>ae'</sp>
    to produce the accented "ae" character. Gregorio uses the "special character" notation to produce certain glyphs.

• VilyanorVilyanor
    It doesn't show up when I do. The Stricken V and R show up, but not ǽ, it doesn't show any vowels no matter where I place the apostrophe.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Have you exported to PDF yet? The one annoying thing with the Illuminare interface is that the window where you see what you're doing doesn't actually show everything, and the layout is different from that window and the PDF. That is - it might not be there on the screen but will show up when exported.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood ngsc