Joyful Catholics
  • Your modesty is admirable, PGA, and isn't it amazing: I didn't realize you were an ultramontane. (You don't know how many times I was called that for upholding the Church's ban on contraception back in the days of Pope John Paul II, and yet here I am being suspected of harboring schismatic tendencies. Ouch. How did that happen, I wonder.)

At any rate, now that you're an ultramontane, I'm sure you didn't fail to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Syllabus of Errors. Ultramontanes Unite!

In fact, dear PGA, let's us new ultramontane buddies take a walk down memory lane to see all the things we can celebrate as hermeneutic-of-continuity Catholics:

Since it's Christmas why don't we start with Pope Benedict XVI's famous "hermeneutic of continuity" address to the Roman Curia of December of '05. In this address, our beloved pope emeritus basically said there are two ways to interpret Catholic doctrine. The first is to interpret every new development in continuity with what came before since Christ, the Teacher, who exercises His magisterium through the popes, cannot contradict himself since He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. (cf. also Cardinal Mueller)

The second (and erroneous) view of Catholic doctrine mentioned by Pope Benedict XVI was the "hermeneutic of discontinuity", held by those who claim that the Church can teach something today which contradicts what it had ever taught on the same matter from the beginning.

So, in the spirit of fidelity to Pope Benedict's "hermeneutic of continuity", I ask you this question: is the German bishops' new proposal to legalize divorce for Catholics an example of teaching in the hermeneutic of continuity or an example of teaching in the hermeneutic of discontinuity?

God love you, PGA, and I hope you've recovered from the flu.

Well, you're overstating my position, and you know it. But to go with it, I'm not sure how anyone could accuse you of that with a straight face for merely upholding established magisterial Church teaching - when everyone knows such teaching certainly didn't originate with John Paul II.

As to the "hermeneutics of continuity vs. rupture," I will say that I liked Pope Benedict's teachings on the matter and was very much in agreement with him.

As to what this current proposal entails, I'm not sure I'm qualified to say which it is.

Here's my hunch: My guess is that when this proposal materializes in a concrete form, it will do so in a manner which is not rupture-like at all; that is, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is some theological workaround that basically says "Those who WANT an annulment and have identifiable impediments but have a non-cooperative (and often non-believing) spouse will be considered to simply HAVE an annulment without having to force a non-cooperative spouse into the process." This approach would not represent a radical departure in theology, only a difference in the annulment process, thereby getting us to the end goal of "a solution for all these divorced people who can't/won't get annulments."

I might be totally wrong - and there might be reasons why what I just said isn't possible. I don't know. But my hunch is that it will be something like that, in that vein of thinking.
  • francis
    masters degree in psychology... (that explains a lot) he should of stuck with his catechism.

He was basically saying that ANY MARRIAGE has faults and probably has impediments that can justify nullifying it.

O goodie!!!! You mean, I can get out of my marriage now?

Why even bother getting married! It probably won't work out anyway. Why don't you just live together for as long as it, you know, feels like its working?

Sorry PGA... I rarely resort to sarcasm, but this one just really got me.
  • This thread seems ripe for another name change. May I suggest "Apprehensive Contentious Catholics."
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen chonak Liam
  • chonakchonak
    THAT'S IT! :-)
  • francis
    Bassorous:

Yes, you may be aware that the church has been in crisis for a few months.. I, I mean years... no, no, I really mean decades. Or maybe not?
  • dad29
    He was basically saying that ANY MARRIAGE has faults and probably has impediments that can justify nullifying it.

Evidently his coursework did not include that line about 'being perfect as My heavenly Father is perfect.' Maybe he should re-take NT101.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe he's in one of those dioceses where every annulment case is so solid that they're all approved.
  • francis
    ...Chicago
  • chonakchonak
    I saw an article some months ago that named a few dioceses where they're all granted, and mentioned, in contrast, some dioceses where up to 30% of the cases are rejected. Wish I could find the piece again.

Anyway, a recent piece in the WashTimes indicates that US annulment applications have fallen drastically from 72,000 in 1990 to 24,000 in 2012.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, PGA, if the 'divorce' proposal is not a change in doctrine, then why did Cardinal Mueller call it a manifestation of a Christological heresy?

BTW, does hypothetically being able to go to Communion before, during and after five divorces sound like the hermeneutic of continuity to you?
  • chonakchonak
    I want to apply this therapeutic technique:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQGzeiYS_Q
  • Chrism
    Do you agree with St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More who died rather than accept a dishonest and immoral contradiction betraying the indissolubility of marriage?

St. Thomas More died rather than swear his belief in limits on Papal authority. Each annulment is not infallible, and More wanted one for the King but not at the cost of rebellion against Rome, even though Rome had fallen under a heavy Spanish influence at the time.

Nobody expects the dogma of indissolubility of marriage to be overturned.

What may be discipline, and not dogma, is canon 915, the requirement on someone, perhaps the minister, perhaps the bishop, not to admit to Holy Communion to "those...obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin". It certainly seems like discipline, but it is an ancient discipline - perhaps it is doctrine always taught? Some people might argue that it is dogma. But so many bishops have spoken against it in the last 10 years, that we would have expected the dogma to be produced by its defenders. Or, at least, an argument that this is doctrine always taught. But instead, they keep talking about canon 915. And then there is the interpretation of canon 915--manifest sin, obstinate persistence.

Another thing which may be discipline, and not dogma, is the process for granting an annulment. Is it doctrine always taught that there be two courts which need to reach the same verdict, with an appeal to Rome? Doesn't seem it.

I don't like any of these proposed disciplinary innovations because they seem to make marriage harder - the Church wielding the sword of damnation over both spouses seems to be a good incentive to overlook the raised toilet seat, for the 1000th time, and tough it out. But this is "I don't like".

Now there may be other, more controversial proposals - like allowing for divorce and living together afterward in sin with a penitential path, as long as a bishop signs a letter or something. One anonymous priest I know, and trust, believes that this will not be possible, and the Pope will be prevented from doing this. If this is the faith, then surely he will be prevented. If it is not the faith, then why should I be troubled if he is not prevented? Why should it seem that the world is ending just now, 2015 years after the Incarnation? Hasn't it always seemed that way, in all the generations that have come before?

Who am I to judge the Church? Who am I to judge the Pope? God did found the Church and granted to Peter and his successors the charisms He deigned to grant to Peter and his successors for the salvation of our souls. Let us rejoice in His love for us made manifest in His providing the vicar He wished to provide, and let God handle the details He has not yet clarified to us.
  • PGA,

Discipline vs Doctrine:

Pope Pius X changed the age at which children could receive Holy Communion, retaining the stipulation that they must be able to discern that what they receive is not mere bread. He left in place that one must be in the state of grace. To have changed the requirement of being in the state of grace, he would have changed doctrine, not discipline. By lowering the age, he changed discipline, not doctrine.
  • francis
    Chris:

I think I already brought that point forward, but all seems to be taken in relative in this world these days. God help us and thank you.
  • does hypothetically being able to go to Communion before, during and after five divorces sound like the hermeneutic of continuity to you?

It's the hermeneutic of continuity of receiving Communion.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    You know, I was thinking about the Cardinal Kasper proposal and it seems to me the reason that Cardinal Mueller called it heretical is because although it seems on the surface to be a disciplinary change, what it really involves is separating orthodoxy from orthopraxis which is schizophrenic (and heretical).

There are two dogmas of the Catholic faith involved here:

1) a valid marriage is indissoluble
    2) one must be in a state of grace to receive Communion

If the Pope were to allow divorced and remarried Catholics to receive Holy Communion, then he would be saying either of these two things:

1) that being divorced and remarried is no longer a grave sin for Catholics, or
    2) one does not need to be in a state of grace to receive Communion.

There is no third possibility.

While the Pope, as Cardinal Burke has said, possesses the fullness of power (plenitudo potestatis) in the Church, he does not have supreme power, because the power of the pope is limited by the law of God and the dogmas of the Faith. He doesn't have the power to change the laws of God or the dogmas of the Faith.

The pope does not have the power to give some Catholics permission to live in a way that contradicts the words of Christ Who is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Cardinal Mueller has explained that there cannot be any contradiction between theory and practice, no separation between Truth and Life, no separation between lex credendi and lex vivendi.
    Thanked by 2francis TCJ
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. Re: the thread title: As I've said several times already, I'm a happy Catholic, happy that I've been blessed with family, love, and faith. What's not to like about being a hermeneutic-of-continuity Catholic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
  • St. Thomas More died rather than swear his belief in limits on Papal authority. Each annulment is not infallible, and More wanted one for the King but not at the cost of rebellion against Rome, even though Rome had fallen under a heavy Spanish influence at the time.

What may be discipline, and not dogma, is canon 915, the requirement on someone, perhaps the minister, perhaps the bishop, not to admit to Holy Communion to "those...obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin". It certainly seems like discipline, but it is an ancient discipline - perhaps it is doctrine always taught? Some people might argue that it is dogma. But so many bishops have spoken against it in the last 10 years, that we would have expected the dogma to be produced by its defenders. Or, at least, an argument that this is doctrine always taught. But instead, they keep talking about canon 915. And then there is the interpretation of canon 915--manifest sin, obstinate persistence.

Another thing which may be discipline, and not dogma, is the process for granting an annulment. Is it doctrine always taught that there be two courts which need to reach the same verdict, with an appeal to Rome? Doesn't seem it.

I don't like any of these proposed disciplinary innovations because they seem to make marriage harder - the Church wielding the sword of damnation over both spouses seems to be a good incentive to overlook the raised toilet seat, for the 1000th time, and tough it out. But this is "I don't like".

Now there may be other, more controversial proposals - like allowing for divorce and living together afterward in sin with a penitential path, as long as a bishop signs a letter or something. One anonymous priest I know, and trust, believes that this will not be possible, and the Pope will be prevented from doing this. If this is the faith, then surely he will be prevented. If it is not the faith, then why should I be troubled if he is not prevented? Why should it seem that the world is ending just now, 2015 years after the Incarnation? Hasn't it always seemed that way, in all the generations that have come before?

Who am I to judge the Church? Who am I to judge the Pope? God did found the Church and granted to Peter and his successors the charisms He deigned to grant to Peter and his successors for the salvation of our souls. Let us rejoice in His love for us made manifest in His providing the vicar He wished to provide, and let God handle the details He has not yet clarified to us.

THIS.

Said much more eloquently than I could, and basically putting into words what I couldn't.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I take strong exception to St. Thomas More's martyrdom being reduced to a defense of papal prerogative and power alone. St. John Paul II in his motu proprio on St. Thomas More declared that at St. Thomas More's trial, "he made an impassioned defence of his own convictions on the indissolubility of marriage, the respect due to the juridical patrimony of Christian civilization, and the freedom of the Church in her relations with the State. Condemned by the Court, he was beheaded."

Cardinal Burke, in a recent CNS interview, likewise stated the following about St. Thomas More, who, he said, like St. John Fisher, "refused to support Henry VIII in his pretense to be the supreme head of the church in order to give himself the license to “marry” someone in quotation marks when he was already married to Catherine of Aragon."

In the same interview, Cardinal Burke praised the example of St. John Fisher who became Catherine of Aragon's chief supporter and counselor and who stunned people when he said that he, like St. John the Baptist, was willing to die on behalf of the indissolubility of marriage.

From Cardinal Burke on St. John Fisher:

"In other words, to betray the indissolubility of marriage which King Henry VIII was asking him to do would have been to betray his Catholic faith and he could not do that and Our Lord gave him the grace to be a martyr. He even made reference to Saint John the Baptist, who during Jesus’ own public ministry gave this heroic witness to the indissolubility of marriage by making clear to Herod that he was living in public and grave sin by living as a husband with his own brother’s wife who obviously was bound to marriage to his brother."
  • CharlesW
    Neither St. Thomas More nor St. John Baptist would have been put to death today. They would simply have said, "Let's visit the marriage tribunal and see if we can get an annulment. These were probably not valid marriages to begin with."
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • dad29
    These were probably not valid marriages to begin with."

And with luck they would have found that anonymous priest-doubter cited by another poster.

But even then, their chances would only have been 3 in 10, according to the stats. Their chances with St Peter? Perhaps not as good.
  • dad29
    There is no third possibility.

What, exactly, does logic have to do with this? Can't we all get along better without that dratted 6th Commandment? Divorced lives matter, too!!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Chrism
    I take strong exception to St. Thomas More's martyrdom being reduced to a defense of papal prerogative and power alone.

No, of course not, they freely gave their lives as witnesses to the incarnation of Christ and to the eternal life in Heaven which awaits those who remain faithful to Him by keeping His commandments. We cannot "reduce" any martyrdom to one cause or another.

St. John Fisher was Catherine's lawyer in the case and privy to the details of the private trial; St. Thomas More was not directly involved in it and, by the time he was forced to take sides or suffer the consequences, it had already been referred to the Pope.

Henry practically served as his own lawyer in his matrimonial cause and had a fool for a client. Stepping back from the political situation of the Pope being prisoner at Castel Sant'Angelo of Catherine's devoted nephew (circumstances which might have led a good lawyer to counsel his client to delay), the legal theories pursued by Henry, against Cardinal Wolsey's advice, were insupportable as they challenged the Pope's authority to grant dispensations in cases of affinity, and even further challenged the Pope's authority to interpret ambiguous passages of Scripture. In essence, Henry was accusing the (previous) Pope of being too lax in defending divine law on marriage.

Some people seem to believe that More or Fisher would have publicly opposed Pope Clement on some medieval equivalent of an Internet forum if the Pope had ruled (fallibly) that Catherine was not the lawful queen on account of some impediment. The record of both men's lives shows nothing which would even remotely support that implication.
  • gregpgregp

Nobody?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Nobody will succeed in overturning the dogma of the indissolubility.... although it appears some are going to make a tremendous effort and show of trying to do so!

Thanked by 1Chrism
  • rich_enough

But this doctrine could be seriously compromised without being "overturned." It is naive to think that discipline can be so easily separated from doctrine, such an important change in discipline is unrelated to how a doctrine is lived out.

For example, after Humanae Vitae was issued, a number of bishops conferences told their flocks that Paul VI's teaching against contraception was (more or less) a matter of personal conscience. (At least one of these conferences recently apologized for what they had said back then.) The effect was that most of their flock were given permission to ignore what the pope had said, even though no doctrine was ever explicitly "overturned."

One could argue the same regarding recent changes in discipline surrounding the reception of communion - no one has come out and announced a change in doctrine, but the net effect of all the changes in discipline has (some have argued) a less then salutary effect on belief. It is not part of the Catholic faith to think that every last change in this area was a prudent one.

So no, the bishops are not going to come out with a statement saying, "Marriage is no longer indissoluble." But this is beside the point - there could be a change in discipline which has the effect of weakening how people live out this doctrine. I'm a bit mystified why it is being "holier than the Pope" or "less than Catholic" to point this out.
    Thanked by 3dad29 francis gregp
  • Chrism
    doctrine could be seriously compromised

In the (archaic) sense of the word, where doctrine was synonymous with education, yes - of course - lots of things can derail the education of others. Disciplinary changes have often been scandalous, whether for their laxity or rigor.

But in the sense of, the doctrine taught by Christ to the Church may itself be harmed or polluted, which is how some might read a sentence like that, then no - the Sacred Magisterium in communion with the successor of St. Peter will always infallibly hold to the doctrine taught by Christ whole and entire, even as doctrinal expressions change over time and place.

there could be a change in discipline which has the effect of weakening how people live out this doctrine. I'm a bit mystified why it is being "holier than the Pope" or "less than Catholic" to point this out.

Yeah, why are they doing that? And who is doing that?
    Thanked by 1Gavin