New Tool for Gregorian Propers
  • bbloomf
    The propers tool that I began work on about a week ago has become useful enough that I thought it would be worthwhile to advertise its existence. It is a tool for producing PDFs of the propers for Sunday masses in the extraordinary form and will also allow you to apply psalm tones to the propers a la Rossini. I think it should be straightforward enough to use, but let me know if anyone has any further ideas or suggestions for it.

I have also included this propers tool in the latest version of the offline GABC Transcription Tools app for Chrome.
  • bbloomf
    I forgot to mention that the GABC for all the propers come from http://gregobase.selapa.net/ so if you notice any mistakes, you can fix them there, and clicking the title of the proper from the propers tool will take you to the right page at gregobase, so you won't have to search for them again.
  • bbloomf, this is totally incredible. Congrats on a marvelous, marvelous creation!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • BenBen
    This may come in handy. . .
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Great resource, Benjamin! Thank you! One suggestion:it would also be incredible if the OF calendar could be added to the tool.

Also, for me the preview doesn't work properly in Chrome:

Thanked by 2bbloomf Mark M.
  • carljn
    This is phenomenal! Thanks!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    bbloomf

Is the source of the Proper texts available via open API?
    (and if not... please?)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • bbloomf, for me, at least, the preview works beautifully.

• BenBen
    It works on chrome for android 4.2.2.
  • bbloomf
    For the texts, I am just processing out the parenthetical parts from the full GABC.
  • bbloomf
    @smvanroode
    What browser are you using? (Never mind. I see you said you are using Chrome.) Can you open up the Developer Tools (Menu->Tools->Developer tools) and see if there are any errors in the console, and send them to me? Thanks.

I will try to add the calendar for the ordinary form at some point. Does it use any proper chants that aren't in the GregoBase database?
  • jczarn
    Wow! This is amazing. Thank you for your hard work!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • MarkThompson
    This seems like it will be a very useful tool. I am looking at it in Firefox, and I have to say that the formatting of the page is terrible. What I'm getting doesn't look anything like what Paul_Omnomnom posted.

Also, as I was poking around checking a few random things, I saw this mistake: look at the custos at the end of the first line in the psalm-toned introit for Lent 4:

Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • bbloomf
    I think I see what is happening in Firefox, and it won't take long to fix.

I will take a look at that custos issue as well, but keep in mind that that preview has no bearing on the PDF output.
  • donr
    bbloomf, This is a great.
    It worked well on my IPhone however, in IE8 the drop down list for the Sunday was not populated.
  • bbloomf
    OK, I think it should be working better in Firefox now.

I am not sure about getting it to work with IE8 because I don't have that version, but I will see if I can figure out a way to get it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    OMG this is cool!

Would be great to have tabs for the Ordinary of the Mass, too! My gosh!
  • magistra6
    Wow! This is exactly what we were looking for! We have a small beginning schola which sings once a month for the EF, and we want to move from just singing hymns to very easy propers. I was thinking about the effort and time it would take to work up the propers in psalm tones for them and then I found this! Thank you so much!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • This is absolutely incredible!! Wow!

I'm wondering about the Illuminare Score Editor in the Further PDF options link. Is it just my browser (Firefox, since, as someone mentioned above, IE isn't populating the Sundays list) or are these options not yet functional?

Thanks so much for producing this amazing tool!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • Ah, never mind my query! It seems I was misunderstanding the tool and now get it. It's functioning just fine; the user was not, however!

This is just incredible! I'm sorry I missed the earlier announcements about Illuminare and am only seeing your wonderful work now! How wonderful!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • chonakchonak
    This is fantastic! Bravo!
    Thanked by 2bbloomf Ben
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    @bbloomf Don't know what happened, but it looks okay now in Chrome.

Yes, I think there are some pieces in the 1974 Graduale Romanum that are not in the 1961 Graduale Romanum. The Ordo Cantus Missae has a couple of pieces written out, which I suspect are not in the 1961 GR.
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • bbloomf
    @donr
    I realized that I had the same problem in IE10, which I was able to fix, so go ahead and try it again in IE8, and it is possible that it got fixed in that as well.
  • Thank you, Mr. Bloomfield, for sharing the back story behind these tools.
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • donr
    bbloomf,
    still not working here is a screen shot.
    1280 x 800 - 68K
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • bbloomf
    Well, it should populate that dropdown now, but it will never fully work in IE8, because I found out IE didn't start supporting inline SVG until 9, and so IE8 will never be able to display the realtime preview. Sorry.
  • I see that you are using the http://gregorio.gabrielmass.com/ site to compile the GABC code. Would it be possible to import some of the options from either that or the Illuminare editor? I am thinking of things like cropping the pdf output, additional header information (it wouldn't let me put to different annotation headings in as the Illuminare editor does), font specification, etc.

Really great tool! Thank you!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • bbloomf
    From the propers page, the PDF link uses the illuminarepublications.com/gregorio page that I wrote for Illuminare, but the other pages do still use the gregorio.gabrielmass.com page for PDF.

I may change those other pages soon so that they all use illuminarepublications.com/gregorio for producing PDFs.
  • MHIMHI
  • BenBen
    This is really awesome...another odd but useful request. For those of us who occasionally do daily Masses, having the ability to hand-pick the chants would be really helpful. Is there any chance you could have an option where a drop down list would appear next to each box with all of the incipits of chants of that category?

For example, next to the introit box, a dropdown of all the introits in the database would appear. Then, you can pick what you want, and truly make your own propers sheets for ANY Mass, very quickly.

No rush, no pressure, but would you pretty please consider adding it to the bottom of your todo list?
  • bbloomf
    @Ben Yanke
    That's a good idea, and shouldn't be terribly complicated for me to add. I've put it in my todo list, and should add it eventually.
  • bbloomf
    I actually had a bit of time today to start implementing this, so take a look at the page on gabc.romanliturgy.org/propers.html and try selecting "Custom" from the "Select another Mass..." dropdown.

Let me know if anything still needs work. I haven't tested it much yet.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • BenBen
    VERY helpful, Benjamin!

Looks like the sequence box is not yet working.
  • bbloomf
    The sequence should show up if you make a PDF, but I thought sequences would be too long to scroll through if It showed them on the web page.
  • BenBen
    fair enough
  • @bbloomf, any chance that the propers for the Sacred Heart of Jesus can be incorporated into the drop-down list? No rush here…whenever you are able.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • bbloomf
    Sure thing. I meant to put them in originally, but I must have forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.
  • bbloomf
    OK. It's in there now.
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, links for Ben's GABC tools are listed, along with other resources, at http://gregoriochant.org, the central point for information on Gregorio.
  • @bbloomf, would you mind checking the font size for the introit's user-notes field? It appears to give smaller output compared with those of the other propers.
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • bbloomf
    I will look into that. I suspect that it isn't the introit per se, but simply the first chant included in the PDF.
  • bbloomf
    OK. user-notes field on the first chant should now be the same size as the rest.
  • bbloomf
    I just put up a new version of this tool with the Novus Ordo calendar included as well. I am using the data from this PDF of the Index to the 1974 Graduale Romanum, with a few corrections to discrepancies that I noticed between it and the Gregorian Missal. Let me know if anyone notices any mistakes with regard to incorrect chants being referenced. Also, I suppose I should really create new versions of some of the chants, since it appears in the new Mass there is no Gloria Patri after the Introit verse.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RobertRobert
    This is very helpful. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • BruceL
    Thanks for this! The ingenuity of folks on this board never ceases to amaze me!
    Thanked by 1bbloomf
  • BenBen
    I don't see the options for christ the king (EF). Could those be added?

By the way, this tool is fantastic. I use it frequently.
  • tomjaw
    Ben

You could use the Custom tool, using a Liber / Missal to find the correct Proper.
  • BenBen
    Yes, that's what I've done, I just thought it'd be a useful addition, since it is a Sunday.
  • bbloomf
    Yes, I should add it. I will try to do that soon, since it is this Sunday.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    Another new feature, 'Chant Mass inline' this gets better and better!

http://bbloomf.github.io/jgabc/propers.html

@bbloomf Thanks so much.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The inline Mass does not end up on the generated PDF document.