(Midnight, higher key)
  • ryandryand
    Christmas: Mass at Dawn
  • ryandryand
    (Mass at Dawn, higher key)
  • ryandryand
    Christmas: Mass of the Day
  • ryandryand
    (Christmas, Mass of the Day, higher key)
  • francis
    These propers are great!

I hope with the dawn of these propers, they will be restored to the Liturgy in the US as they should rightfully be.
  • ryandryand
    For anyone who tried these out, what was your experience with them? I did all propers for Vigil and Day, and have my own thoughts (edits), but I'm just as interested in yours!
  • ryandryand
  • ryandryand
    Holy Family
  • ryandryand
    Holy Family (higher key)
  • ryandryand
    On some of these you will see small parenthetical notes at the end of the antiphon. They are intended for the final time through. In the case of Communion B & C (Holy Family, above) this means that the note may be omitted the final time. In the case of all of the others for Holy Family, it is simply eliminating the inversion. Substitute those notes for the bass and/or tenor. Many of these end on inversions, and if the verses will follow, I find this acceptable. There is forward motion and a sense of "more." To end on these harmonies, though, can sometimes feel like you're stuck in liturgical limbo! While I sometimes enjoy the mystical anticipation nature in this, its not always appropriate or effective... or you may just simply not like it!

Spark Notes: I've included options for the endings. You'll make wise and musical decisions, I know it!
  • BenBen
    Here's one tip: since each proper is separate, I would hide the key signature at the end of the psalm tones.
  • ryandryand
    Noted. Future postings will have this correction.

Have you tried them at your parish?
  • BenBen
    Nope, I haven't used them at my parish, I'm a lowly teenager, not a highfalutin' MD like many here... :)

However, I do occasionally sing for and plan Masses, and I very well may use them then.
  • ryandryand
    I'm no highfalutin' MD myself, just a lowly part timer.

Let me know how they work out if you get a chance to use them.
  • BenBen
    Will do!
  • ryandryand
    Mary, Mother of God
  • ryandryand
    Mary, Mother of God (higher key)
  • The organist used them for the Christmas Eve Vigil Mass. They were well-received.
  • How cool. I haven't used them yet as I just found them. BTW, what are you using to write your score - being able to just use note heads instead of stemmed ones?

I have been looking to be able to do this, but so far I haven't been successful.

Thanks for these and thanks in advance for your expertise.
  • ryandryand
    musings,
    I am using Sibelius. The notes have stems during input, but it is possible to change the noteheads to stemless.

The shortcut for this is shift+option+(number) on Mac, and Shift+Alt+(number) on PC. Each number (above the keyboard) provides a different notehead. Stemless notes are 8.

I don't know Finale well, but I am sure that they provide a similar option. If you are using Finale, I would suggest looking up how to change noteheads.
  • ryandryand
  • A dear priest friend of mine emailed me the link to this after I told him that we were doing some of the English Propers. I also started incorporating the organ into our Masses for Christmas Eve. These will be perfect for adding to our liturgy since during the holidays I am the only musician there! I'm hoping to get some of my college students to jump on and help me with them when the semester starts! Hope to see some of you at the Winter Chant Intensive in Houston in about a week! Thanks for posting!
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • ryandryand
  • ryandryand
    Second Sunday of Christmas: Organ
  • ryandryand
    Second Sunday of Christmas: Choral
  • ryandryand
    Glory Be for the Introit: Mode VIII
  • ryandryand
    Glory Be for the Communion: Mode II
  • ryandryand
  • ryandryand
    Epiphany: Organ
  • ryandryand
    Epiphany: Choral
  • ryandryand
    Glory Be for the Introit: Mode II
  • ryandryand
    Glory Be for Communion: Mode IV
  • ryan:

Thanks very much for your work on this project. I can foresee an unintended use of this by folks who cannot easily read the square-note notation... Very helpful!
  • ryandryand
    Anything helps. :)
  • ryandryand
    2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time: Organ

(edit: added final parenthetical notes for Communion)
  • ryandryand
    2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time: Choral

(edit: added final parenthetical notes for Communion)
  • ryandryand
    As we move into ordinary time, there are often different texts for years A/B/C. Where this is the case, the incipits will indicate as such.

I am only able to post the current year (B) for the time being, but will be filling in the blanks as the collection nears completion next year.

Please continue to share comments on your experience with using these. I'm very interested as to their effectiveness. I used the Epiphany settings this morning and was happier with them than anything else I've posted so far.

How have these been working out for anyone else?
  • francis
    ryand

these are a wonderful compliment to the SEP. Congrats. We will try them soon.
  • ryandryand
    Thanks francis! I look forward to your feedback after trying them out.
  • ryandryand
    Glory Be for the Introit: Mode IV
  • ryandryand
    Glory Be for the Communion: Mode VIII
  • ryandryand
  • I was just hired as the Organist/Choir Master of a parish that has started doing the Simple English Chant for communion and your service has helped me and the choir out alot. Thank You for all the work that you do and May God continue to Bless and Grace you for all the time and effort you put into, putting these files together. Once again Thank You. Mr. J. Anthony Pietrowski.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Hi Ryan,

I am eagerly awaiting your next set. We are planning to rehearse with the organ tomorrow evening. Thanks so much for doing this! :)

Angela
  • ryandryand
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    We will certainly be praying, Ryan! I know how frustrating that can be. I think you forgot to attach the file?