Thanks, Ryan! And godspeed.
  • ryandryand
    3rd Sunday of OT

[Choral Settings]
  • ryandryand
    3rd Sunday of OT

[Organ]
  • Ryand,

Thanks so much for the organ accompaniments. I used the communion SEP chant this Sunday. This is my 3rd Sunday on the job- replacing the previous organist who sat on the bench for 66 years. The church is a glorious Baroque pile built 168 years ago, seating 1200 people. The only disappointment was that the outstanding 122 year old 34 rank Pfeffer organ could not be used as it was wrapped in a giant plastic bag to protect it from some paint repairs in the ceiling. Nonetheless, your arrangements sounded great on the old Hammond. 6 more weeks and then I should get the Pfeffer back. The choir was really receptive to the chant and the cantor did a stellar job.
  • Thank you soooo much for this! I can't read chant well enough to teach others and for many people they need an accompaniment at least at the beginning to learn. I have been looking all over the web for something to go with the SEP...which is awesome in my book!
    Thanked by 1elaine60
  • ryandryand
    Thank you both so much! mbavlsik, that organ sounds awesome!
  • ryandryand
    4th Sunday of Ordinary Time

[Choral]
  • ryandryand
    4th Sunday of Ordinary Time

[Organ]
  • Just wanted to thank you for these great organ scores for the SEP. We are using them every week in our parish with great success. God bless your work.
  • I have choir rehearsal Thursday night and was wondering if the chant for the 5th Sunday of OT would be posted. Thank You for all your hard work in putting these together. Yours in Christ, J.A.P
  • ryandryand
    Hopefully so. Stay tuned.
  • Thank you for you time and effort that you put into these chants. I am truly grateful for this service you offer.
  • Clare
    So am I!
  • ryandryand
    It is encouraging to hear these sentiments. Thank you for your comments.
  • ryandryand
    5th Sunday of Ordinary Time
  • ryandryand
  • Ryand, in the parish that I work at the choir is given the copy of the chants from SEP, that way they can and hopefully will become fimilar with reading gregorian chant. So the organ copies are sufficent enough for our use. And, again thank you so very much for devoting your time to this tedious task. May God bless you and Mary keep you. J.A.P
  • ryandryand
    6th Sunday of Ordinary Time
  • We need the accompaniments for Sundays in Lent, please. Are they forthcoming? The major reason we need organ accompaniments is that our large Church has poor natural acoustics and the chant sounds barren.
  • Ryand, thank you so much for posting the propers with organ accompaniment. I wish I had discovered this thread in January. I look forward to using them in Lent. God Bless you and keep em' coming!
  • ryandryand
    Sundays for Lent will be included eventually.

Thanks for your enthusiasm on this and please do keep me updated on any successes and/or failures with these. I'm glad to know that these are found useful.
  • Clare
    I'm so sorry to seem ungrateful because I'm certainly not. I'm leaving for Mass now as I cantor at the vigil Mass at 4:30 and the accompaniment is not yet posted. Is it at all possible to post a tiny bit earlier? Thank you so much for this important work. We all really appreciate it.
  • Hi Ryand,
    Will you be posting the 7th Sunday in OT tonight?
    Do you expect to post the 1st Sunday in Lent by Wednesday? I would really like it for Wednesday night choir practice.
    Thank you again for taking on this project.
  • Ryand,
    Has anything happened? We have not heard from you since Friday? Please let us know if there is a problem.
  • ryandryand
    Thanks, no problem, just busy. More soon!
  • ryandryand
    Here is Ash Wednesday
  • ryandryand
    Here's a selection we'll be using at my parish for "seasonal use" during Lent. Though not the *real* propers, its permissible per discussion elsewhere here, and we've made the decision to go this route for now at my parish. Since I've made this collection for my use this year, may as well share here.
  • ryandryand
    I have also thrown together drafts for the ritual masses (Funeral and Wedding/Nuptial). They are incomplete, and the formatting needs work ... but here's something to work with for now.
  • Ryan,
    It's so good to hear from you again. Thank you for posting Ash Wednesday and the General Use chants for Lent. Am I correct that you will still be posting the actual propers for Lent each week?

To the others that follow this blog/ thread, please chime in and let Ryan know that what he is doing greatly appreciated by more than just a few. This is a tremendous undertaking, and we don't want him to abandon it for apparent lack of interest on our part.
  • I appreciate it and want to start using the accompaniment as soon as Easter rolls around, to add to the festivity of the season :)
  • ryandryand
    David,
    Yes I will still be posting the weekly propers. Thanks for your encouragement. :)
  • Ryan,
    Thanks so much.
    We have been using SEP antiphons (no verses) and conventional hymns since Advent at Holy Name of Jesus Church in West Palm Beach. The 1st Sunday in Lent will be our first attempt at an all-propers Mass with organ accompaniment. At the 12:00 during Lent, we are going to experiment with propers and all verses, with a second Communion song and the recessional as the only conventional hymns. I'll keep you posted as to the comments and reaction from the congregation. Hopefully, there will not be too much in the way of rioting villagers with pitchforks and flaming torches.
  • ryandryand
    My prayers are with you and your parish, David.

I've had positive experiences since I started at my current parish, and I've been doing all-propers since day one (perhaps too bold/naive, but it's been working!). Only recently did one of the priests suggest that we maybe start including something a little "more familiar," whatever that means.
  • ryandryand
    First Sunday of Lent
  • ryandryand
    Gospel acclamation (Esguerra)
  • Thank you for posting the propers for the 1st Sunday of Lent. This is great! I'll let you know how it goes.
  • ryandryand
    Is there anybody here who is comfortable using Sibelius? Might need some help compiling all of these...
    Thanked by 1cecilia5
  • Clare
    Thank you so much for the first Sunday of Lent. I'm sorry I don't know anything about your request. I'm not a very computer savvy person.
  • Hey, Ryan
    Before I found your thread in the Chant Cafe, I attempted to do what you are doing now. I have never used any music writing software before, so I downloaded the trial version of Finale. I played around with it for a while, then basically gave up. For writing chant, I found it very frustrating to use because it insists on a time signature and measure lines. I found that if I missed a note along the way, I could not "stuff" it into a measure because the measure already had 4 beats. And at the end of the piece, if I had only one measure left, I could not get the thing to stop stretching the single measure across the entire width of the page. I tried to set up one of the chants in AutoCad, which is easier to use in the respect that ovals are easily copied, moved, and pasted into position as notes. Still, it was overwhelming. So out of frustration, I tried to research a version of the Propers in standard notation. That's when I discovered this discussion thread.
    One thing that I was able to do was manipulate your pdf that you posted. With PDF professional converter, I could select a block of objects (staffs, notes, text), and move them on the page. I could take your 2 measures of verse tone, and stretch them across the page so I could type in the verses. See the attached Offertory for Sunday.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Hi, Ryan,

I use Sibelius exclusively. Send me a template, and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you for providing these. We're currently using the SEP for Offertory & Communion. During the Advent and Lenten Seasons, I've been using the Rice settings to provide some variety.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @DavidatHolyName

That is tremendously useful! Would you be willing to post those on a regular basis? I've been using the Rice Simple Choral Gradual, but would like to branch into the SEP, too. This makes it a lot easier, speaking as someone who usually has to sing from the organ console (facing rearward in the loft makes it next to impossible to lead singing without a mic). Thanks to ryand for your work, as well. It is much appreciated!
  • ryandryand
    David, this nicely done, please continue if you are able. I haven't been including verses just to save space. Would be nice to include them if you can continue this.
  • ryandryand
    cecilia5,
    Where should I send the template? Also, which version of Sibelius do you have? I am on 6, but I don't think there is anything in these that would trip up older versions.
  • I will do what I can as time allows. For me, it involves "stealing" time at work. Ryan, it would help if you can post 3 pages each week instead of 2. Can you post one page per proper? And does anyone use verses for the Introit other than the Glory Be? We will only be using the Glory Be, so I didn't bother with the other verses when I created my version. The other issue that I have is that I intend to use the organ accompaniments only during Lent. After that, it's back to acappella SEP for me.
  • ryandryand
    David,
    Just go ahead and post whatever you have time to do. I know that many will appreciate whatever is offered.

I'll start working with a 3 page format. Nice suggestion.
  • Well, I'm back from my first all-antiphon Mass. I'm not sure if this is going to work. The choir attempted to sing the entrance antiphon at 10:30, but was lost. We rehearsed it on Wednesday, but this morning, it was like they were reading Klingon. At 12:00, my intent was to use the organ parts that I have been BEGGING Ryan for. And we never used them. I sang all the antiphons and verses acappela. Our organist did not feel comfortable playing them. The congregation sang nothing. The words to the antiphons were projected on our A/V system, but they never caught on. They probably didn't know they were supposed to sing along. I guess that's my fault. Anyway, we'll try again next week.

• ryandryand
    Stay strong!
  • ryandryand
    2nd Sunday of Lent
    Introit [option 1]
  • ryandryand
    2nd Sunday of Lent
    Offertory