Hands Down, the best hymnal
  • DougS
    This is an interesting turn in the conversation. Charles, I think you are generally correct when you say that 4-part singing isn't really a Catholic tradition in the U.S, but that is because the Catholic Church did not promote congregational singing of any kind in the same way that Protestants did. To nuance it a little, the history of Catholicism in the U.S. is the history of ethnic Catholicism, and some areas had more 4-part singing than others.

Having said that...

I am against the melody-only approach to hymnal production because it affirms musical illiteracy. Whether people sing the parts or not, what does it say about us that we don't even give them the opportunity? A lot of people read music and would sing the parts. When the music is intended to be monophonic--no problem. But when harmony is idiomatic to the music itself, why not let the people sing?

I also don't like that you have to buy expensive "choir editions" to supplement melody-only hymnals.

Neither of those thoughts are essentially "Catholic," just what I believe as a musician and teacher.
  • CharlesW
    I enjoy hearing 4-part singing, but I don't believe it superior to unison. It is another tradition, but both can be beautiful. Given the purists on this forum, I am surprised that some would want anything so Protestant in the liturgy. I am with you on the hymnal racket.What about those expensive accompaniment editions? When I have played for Protestant churches, I could pick up any hymnal from the pew and play from it. The choir could sing from it, too.
  • Liam
    While I love ordinary hymnals to include the harmony, I have one qualification for our current level of musical illiteracy: it shouldn't be the English style of music on the left and text to the right (or below). That style was apparently designed to accommodate long hymns, with very many stanzas, which is probably more suited to Low Church worship than Eucharistic liturgy.

And the numbers of people who are musically literate in the US is shrinking, sad to say. An astonishing number of choral singers I encounter don't fully know how to read music. I actually think that a basic function of choral music directors for volunteer church choirs is becoming teaching their choristers to read music; the failure to do so means people in the choir are operating at dramatically different empowerment levels, and that works as a tremendous tax on the enterprise.
  • Maureen
    You don't have to read music to sing harmony. You just have to read music if you want people to be singing the same harmony all the time, in 4 parts instead of 78. But it's not that hard to make stuff up on the fly, if your ear is used to hearing people sing harmony. Most people just aren't, these days.

(Also, my mom tended to dig me with an elbow whenever I made up my own part, or when my little brother and I didn't quite sing in unison and made beats between us. She didn't give my dad any trouble for harmonizing, but it is possible that he was just better at it!)

Admittedly, most of the modern hymns are harder to make up parts for, but that's because they love all those weird-y chords.
  • Liam
    Improvising harmony does not require the ability to read music, to be sure. But even fewer people are confident enough to do that than are musically literate these days.
  • JamJam
    "I am surprised that some would want anything so Protestant in the liturgy" -- I object to the statement that 4-part hymn singing is intrinsically Protestant. They're the ones who popularized it in America perhaps, but they certainly haven't invented it. Polyphony is what originally defined the SATB split (among others). And what about four-part hymn-singing in Russia and Ukraine and other Eastern Catholic/Orthodox churches?

@ Maureen -- haha, yes! I've been known to try inventing harmonies when songs are pitched for true sopranos and all I have in front of me is text. Although strangely enough when I can hear the choir singing in parts, I think I latch on to the tenor part more often than the alto part. My range isn't all that low, but I think maybe I can hear them better?
  • DougS
    Jam, I don't think anyone suggested that 4-part hymn singing is intrinsically Protestant. The point is that American Protestants cultivated 4-part hymnody more than American Catholics. This seems indisputable, because the history goes back at least 200+ years:

Singing schools: Protestant
    Shape notes: Protestant
    Most 19th c. hymnals: Protestant
    4-part hymnals today: mostly Protestant
    Melody-only hymnals today: mostly Catholic
  • dad29
    Charles, ........are we the only two here who understand the Church's insistence that "the people" sing in ONE-PART MUSIC: Chant?

Obviously, PiusX & Co. were not adequately schooled in 4-part, eh?
  • JamJam
    There is a difference between singing chant in unison, and singing only the melody of a song that was originally written as four-part hymnody.

edit:

in some cases, it's actually "singing only the soprano part of a song that was originally written as four-part"
  • DougS
    Dad, I don't think you understand what the issue is. Jam explained it very well above.
  • CharlesW
    Some would ask why we have adopted so many of the Protestant hymns instead of singing Catholic music. I have never really had a good answer to that.
  • Liam
    It's one of the unintended fruits of the long prohibition on vernacular. The supply of vernacular hymnody from liturgical Protestant churches (Anglican, Methodist and Lutheran) was much vaster than was available intramurally, which was dominated by devotional texts. (The best supply was found in vernaculars from lands which had the longest traditions of indults permitting vernacular hymnody at Low Mass.)

To drive this point home more clearly: the English-language Catholics bishops have still yet to commission, let alone approve, a metrical paraphrase of the Psalter and Scriptural canticles for use in liturgy as such.
  • francis
    CharlesW

THE CHURCH takes everything that is Christian and acceptable to the RC Faith and graft it to our own. It then becomes officially part of Mother Church!
  • CharlesW
    In theory, I agree with you, Francis. In practice, I do find some actual heresy in some of the hymns in my hymnal. Of course, I never program them, but there are real problems with some of those hymns.
  • CharlesW
    Liam, I agree.
  • Kathy
    Why would we need a metrical psalter? We can sing Psalms without turning them into hymns.
  • JamJam
    Psalm tones!!
  • Liam
    Kathy

It would be far better that, when there's a need to sing a metrical hymn, we had a metrical Psalter of our own as a foundation. And I am not of the school that there is never a legitimate need to sing a metrical hymn.
  • Kathy
    Liam,

Some of our good borrowed hymns are metric Psalms--most of the Isaac Watts corpus, for example. But the theologically best and richest, I think, are those which most resemble office hymns or are translations of office hymns.
  • Liam
    But this tangent was based on Charles' question about why we went to Protestant vernacular hymnody instead of Catholic vernacular hymnody. The lack of an approved Catholic vernacular metrical Psalter is a great example of why - and your citation of Isaac Watts completes my point by way of perfect example.

Theological hymns from the Office are fine. But they rank below texts that are Scripture (aka the Word of God) or closely hew to Scripture in terms of importance. That our bishops have not seen fit to commission and approve a metrical paraphrase (which, as can be seen in examples of yore, can hew very close to substantive meaning, albeit not syntax et cet.) is a sad commentary on why Catholics look to other fountains. To my mind (and not only mine but many others), a metrical psalter would be the foundation of the hymn portion of a hymnal (obviously, in addition to service music and non-metrical antiphonal settings of the Psalter proper).
  • Kathy
    I disagree. Psalms are Psalms. Hymns are hymns. The metrical Psalters were written for Protestant groups who thought (usually for a short time) that extra-Scriptural hymnody was a papist aberration.

Extra-Scriptural hymnody is an enormous part of the literature of our Tradition.
  • Liam
    Kathy

That was true for the 16th and 17th century metrical psalters, but not the ones that came later. So I disagree strongly about the segregation you espouse.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Gather Comprehensive changed "saved a wretch like me" to "saved and set me free."
    I haven't seen the word "Ebenezer" anywhere.
    Somebody, somewhere has decided that the Saints throw down their golden crowns around either a glassy sea or a crystal one.

Clearly that makes those hymns Catholic enough, right?
    We even have the better arrangement of SICILIAN MARINERS, for goodness sakes!

How much more theological vetting of hymns do we need, really? I mean... you know, it's just the music...
  • Kathy
    Liam,

I just don't think that what the world needs is more metrical psalters.
  • DougS
    To bring it back a little, I think what we are all recognizing was the historical convergence of excellent metrical text writing (Watts, Wesley, etc.), excellent tune writing, and the ultra-widespread dissemination of books containing either or both together. In the U.S., this dissemination was undoubtedly a Protestant phenomenon: think Second Great Awakening. A parallel phenomenon was the importation of German musical thinking into English-speaking religious circles. That is, only "the classics" are suitable for worship. Again, Protestant--think Lowell Mason.

Catholics, for whatever reason, did not take that ride, and in retrospect it seems like a huge musical opportunity lost. The ethnic divisions among Catholics in the 19th century seem important , because there was little communication between German, Anglo, and French Catholics. They used different books, sang more or less different devotional music, etc. It took a long time for "Irish Catholicism" to transform into the mainstream and for English to become the accepted vernacular in Catholic areas (it still isn't in some). It also took a long time for Catholics to have a real presence on a national scale. There was no motivating factor for creating a large corpus of original texts or translations, because there was little opportunity for it to achieve widespread use. Several attempts were made, but none had the lasting power of the Protestant texts and tunes. Catholic efforts simply came too late.

I personally love metrical texts because of the flexibility and ease of dissociating particular texts and musical settings. Need a new choral prelude anthem this year? Slap a different setting on the text from last year! Want to fake out the congregation by playing a tune not in the hymnal? Done! This is doable in Catholic parishes but more difficult than in Protestant churches. Having said that, I don't even want to touch the question of why that music is being done over chant--not interested in that discussion.
  • francis
    CharlesW

I agree with you in reality. However, it is not 'The Church' that is putting forth the heresy. It's the publishing companies... however, the Church proves over time (usually centuries) those that are authentic. The tares are always allowed to grow up with the wheat. The trick is being able to eat just the wheat and not devour the tares along with it these days... that takes strong faith and catechesis during one's lifetime, especially this day and age where the Church (bureaucrats and erroneous heirarchy) is confused about itself.

Of course the anonymous composer of new texts (i think his name is Alt.), will find that most of his text alterations will eventually all wind up in the round file.
  • Kathy
    Here is an example of the superiority of office hymns to metrical Psalms. (The translation is just a draft and is not yet a decent poem, but hopefully the incredible original comes through.)

A Psalm is one piece of Scripture. An office hymn contains the sense of the unity of Scripture--unified, that is, by the Gospel--and relates it to the active living out of the Christian life in the presence of God.

Aeterne rerum conditor by St. Ambrose

Eternal maker of all things
    Of day and night the sov'reign King,
    Refreshing mortals, You arrange
    The rhythm of the seasons' change

The rooster sounds his morning cry
    --Throughout the night he watched the sky--
    For travelers, a guiding light
    To tell the watches of the night.

The morning star that hears the cry
    Dispels the darkness from the sky.
    The demons, hearing the alarm
    Abandon all their paths of harm

The sailor hears and he is brave;
    The sea becomes a gentle wave.
    The rooster's call reached Peter's ears:
    He washed away his sins in tears.

Our wav'ring hearts, Lord Jesus, see.
    O look upon us, make us free,
    For in Your gaze no fault can stay,
    And sins by tears are washed away

O Light, upon our senses shine.
    Dispel our sleepiness of mind,
    That we may sing Your morning praise,
    Then, vows fulfilling, live our days.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    I don't think you understand what the issue is.

Actually, YOU don't understand the issue. As Charles has made eminently clear, hymnody is NOT the preferred vehicle for Catholic musical participation during Mass.

Chant is. Hymnody, IIRC, is in 3rd/4th place on the list.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Is there really any reason why [part singing] should be, other than we musicians might enjoy hearing it?

Because taking four part music and lowering the pitch and just singing the melody isn't really sufficient for sung participation. It's true that most people have lower pitched voices, but those of us who are tenors (and I'd guess some sopranos, including child sopranos) can have trouble singing these hymns because they're pitched too low.
  • DougS
    But Dad, the question was never what music should have pride of place, but whether or not hymns in the hymnal should be in four parts! Why not start a new thread about how worthless hymnody is, and we can move on from there?

I tried to be civil.
  • francis
    Doug

We (RC's) have a visceral reaction to hymnody in general because it displaced the authentic music of the liturgy for our lifetime and denied us musicians the enjoyment and the honor of Her musical patronage. We don't hate hymns per say, we hate how that form was foisted upon us unjustly by those "seeming to be in the know".
  • Liam
    Jahaza

But, in the scheme of male voices, tenors are small minority. Baritones are the overwhelming majority, and basses plus baritones tenor issues secondary.

Francis.

Actually the displacement far predates our lifetime. The authentic music of the Roman rite had been marginalized - mostly by music-free Low Masses - for centuries. Your ire is more properly directed at the overwhelming dominance of such Low Masses on Sundays and first class feasts during that time.

Hymnody was not foisted on the faithful. The faithful grabbed it, because the authentic music was not as readily available to them. Indeed, part of the problem (a separate discussion) was the portion of traditionally-minded musicians that did not want to have to deal with vernacular chant and related ways of engaging the faithful in the authentic idioms of Roman liturgical music. There were people like Theodore Marier who embraced the challenges of such engagement, but there were others who resisted that approach and they in a sense cooperated in their own sulking marginalisation.
  • Kathy
    Hymnody is central to Catholicism.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • DougS
    I agree with Liam and Kathy. I don't understand how anyone can say that hymnody is not part of Catholic culture. Is the hymn by St. Ambrose posted above not proof enough? Far be it from being "foisted" on anyone.

If not, the 1958 instruction on sacred music considered vernacular hymnody an acceptable form of congregational participation, where appropriate, so it's not like it doesn't have official sanction.

I feel like the voices in this conversation are talking past each other without clarity.
  • Hymnody is central to Catholicism.

That's overstating it a bit. I would argue that hymnody has a place in the liturgy by assertion. There can be some middle ground where we recognize the value of hymnody, but also that it all-too-frequently supplants the music that is proper to the Mass.
  • DougS
    I don't think anyone disputes that, Andrew, but what you are saying isn't exactly a response to Kathy's statement. She didn't say hymns are central to Catholic liturgy--but to Catholicism, an assertion that seems ironclad.

What do we think they were singing throughout the day in monasteries and convents a thousand years ago? Psalms...and hymns.
  • Kathy
    Hymns are central to the liturgy. They are adjunctive to the Mass, but central to the Liturgy of the Hours.

They are also central to the New Testament. The non-Gospel canticles of the Liturgy of the Hours are first-generation Christian hymns, which were incorporated into the New Testament. In these hymns (as in the preaching such as the homilies in the Acts of the Apostles) Christian Tradition preceded Christian Scripture. This earliest Christian Tradition included hymns.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Part of the problem in talking past each other is using "hymnody" in its technical poetic sense by some and in its more popular (at least in Catholic blogs and discussion boards for the past decade) sense of "a non-Scriptural song, often metrical, that acts as alius aptus cantus"...
  • DougS
    Yes, Kathy, thank you for the correction. Mass, not liturgy, is what I meant to say.
  • miacoyne
    "I don't understand how anyone can say that hymnody is not part of Catholic culture."

I don't see anyone mention this here or any other threads.

Finding proper places for various sacred music in our liturgy is one of the most important reponsibility for today's church musicians in Roman church. It seems modern idea of 'relativism' came to play in our Church life. I think Francis said it very clearly that hymns replace Propers in many local churches, because of the misunderstanding of VII 'actual participation.' 'Hymns' are our words and Propers are of the Church. How far are the people pushing to have control over the Church in Mass? The Church clearly mentioned that she prefers 'sung Mass,' on Sundays, and Propers are integral part of the "Sung Mass,' not hymns. (ref. musicam sacram 27 -29)
    Let's make it clear what is optional and what is allowed from what is integral and the church desires in our Liturgy. "Brick by brick' approach works when you have a clear idea of 'reform of reform.' I think we have enough Protestants, and why we try to copy Protestant services. I would like to hear authentice Catholic music when I go to Mass, because and it reflects my Catholic faith that center's on Christ' sacrifice and humility. The Church gave lots of options, but the selelction of music that reflects one's preferences on ceratin styles or centered on 'self,' instead of complete humility like Gregorian chant, doens't paralerrell with the authentic Catholic faith. Liturgical hymns have their own places, and they can be added, but not replacing Propers in Mass.
  • francis
    Kathy

May I be so bold to proclaim that all early hymns were chant of some type (monophonic melody with text sung by all without meter). The RC Church's flavor of which became Gregorian.

I think we need to define the word 'hymn' as it is used today, especially in the four-hymn sandwich which presently still dominates most liturgies of the RC Church. For me personally, hymns are four part homophonic metrical tunes in duple or triple meter with a 'memorable' melody. However, I also lump into that category the 'hymns' of sing-songy praise tunes which are a lower grade of hymn compared to those we have from the centuries past.

Liam: Thank you for clarifying the timeline of musical decay within our liturgy more accurately. Perhaps foisted by the public, publishers, pips and progressives would be more accurate?

Miacoyne: Thank you for clarifying my previous statement.

Hymns can be "central" to the liturgy, but they are not supposed to be exclusive. Whether or not the chant was marginalized prior to VII is irrelevant to my point. My dig is that I have not been able to execute my authentic role as a RC church musician, and the confusion over what is proper musical form and content in the RC liturgy is primary to that frustration.

I want to refer back to a conversation with Dr. Mahrt in which we touched on the appropriate aspects of liturgical music and their respective forms on another thread on this forum. His comment was thus:

mahrt Sep 30th 2009

It would help if we could be clear on what the paradigm is, whether in Latin or English: Gregorian chant has principal place (principem locum—translated poorly as pride of place), classical polyphony comes second, other sacred music based upon texts from the scripture and the liturgy comes next. Further, the traditional division of pieces into ordinary for the congregation, which can be repeated over several weeks for the sake of learning, and proper for the choir (which of necessity, at least ideally, changes every week and cannot be learned by a congregation. These principles applied gradually and to the extent that ability allows them to be done well, could mean a great improvement on the long run.

My final conclusion was to create a prioritized list of music that is preferred by the Church and this is how it looks:
    1. Gregorian Chant

a. liturgical prayers and responses

b. propers
c. ordinary

2. Classical Polyphony

a. propers

b. ordinary

c. motets

3. Other Music (including hymns, instrumental and improvisation)
    a. Latin
    b. Vernacular

So the point is, hymns (3), although beautiful and as "central" as they can be, should never displace the other more important musical functions of the liturgy (1 and 2) which promotes the singing of the liturgical texts.

Note: I have added two more categories for number 3 that promotes the Latin hymns (in Latin) as more desireable than those in the vernacular.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    May I be so bold to proclaim that all early hymns were chant of some type (monophonic melody with text sung by all without meter).

That's pretty bold. I'm not sure that we can make such assertions about the metricality (or not) of first-century singing.
  • francis
    Tis bold, Adam... maybe they did the jig or the polka... but if we listen to hebrew, vedic or other chants, (hymns) the textual rhythms tend to be intrinsically driven by the text, not the melody or meter. Yes?

Besides... I like to be bold to get to the truth. Let the refutations (with proof) begin! Does anyone have any recordings of early metrical hymnody?
  • DougS
    Clearly this discussion has turned into something else entirely. OK.

I'm glad that some hymnals have 4-part harmony instead of melody-only for the harmonized pieces. Over the top traditionalists or not, at least their producers recognize that taking out harmony is another way to dumb down Western Civilization--Protestant or Catholic.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't think I need to prove "we don't know."
    You'd only have to prove, "this we know" one way or the other.
  • francis
    Adam

I am partly pulling your leg. To take your point further, it is what we DO know that really counts. And that is why I continually try to clarify for myself the objective musical form that is appropriate to the RC liturgy.

Doug

Where did it go awry!

And to argue your point further, hymns without harmony can be far more 'advanced' than those with! Especially when one considers the harmonics that are produced in the acoustic that "completes" the harmonic structure of a monophonic composition.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know you were...

But (for example) how do we know that it didn't sound more like this:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/video/10488462/?return_url=/projects/massabki/

Rather than this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBj5HmTiz0

(I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it didn't sound anything like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9iZcSOujcA
    )
  • DougS
    Francis, as a string player who has spent countless hours practicing solo Bach, I certainly wouldn't argue against that.
  • DougS
    And I add with some wryness: today I was putting the finishing touches on an undergraduate apprec. syllabus and noted that Dufay's combination plainchant-homophonic setting of "Ave maris stella" is on the list for my unit on "Music as Prayer and Praise."
  • Kathy
    Francis,

Your #3 is incorrect, if office hymns are included. There's no Office without an office hymn--and the Office is liturgy.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen