Observations --- Friday Nights in CMAA-land
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    My observation has been that this forum slows down on Friday nights.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Everything slows down on Friday nights. Have you noticed almost no email then? Also there is NOTHING on TV worth watching on the only night I can watch..
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friday nights are bizarre.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    That's because everyone went to the opening night of IronMan2
  • Charles in CenCA
    I'm watching you, MOC....!
    (Twilight Zone theme creeps in: nee nee NEE NEE nee nee NEE NEE....)
    We must be such geeks! Wendy just left to babysit the grandboys, and I'm posting on NLM and here about WHAT TO FREAKING DO ON A FRIDAY NIGHT?!?

We're thinking more positively 'bout Rome 11, Mike. Keep me posted on the director thing.
    Oh, and about the "television," (I can't help but think of the late Heath Ledger's inflection of that word in "The Dark Knight") uh, that's what DVR's are for. Record "JUSTIFIED" on Tuesday, hoist a goblet and watch it on Fridays!
    Left Coast checking out, Roger.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Okay, now that Ostrowski and Tucker have checked in, I know who the real CMAA MEN are!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I feel like we're all online on Friday night....but we're all too exhausted to post.....
  • JDE
    Your Friday night seems empty because you forgot to sing the Shabbat candle blessing.

That is all. Can you tell I used to sub at the Temple a lot?
  • Friday night is dead here too.

Joseph in Casas Grandes, Chihuahua
  • Charles in CenCA
    Jonathan, with your pipes, I believe you've sung at La Scala!
    I've sung Tevye, though.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    :-D
    Here is my review of a IronMan2.

It is a sequel, which means that it has the core problem of all sequels. The makers try to figure out what made the first movie a gigantic success and then do more of that. The problem is that what makes a movie a success is not the same as what makes a movie truly good. So the sequel ends up taking out the good and struggling to please the maximum number of movie goers. Hence: super fast action, extreme explosions, cool gizmos everywhere, sex, but no real message or meaning. That's IronMan2.

There is a liturgical lesson here. If as liturgical musicians, we only seek to please the people in the pews based on reviews we received last week, we end up producing a vacuous program without substance.
  • CharlesW
    After teaching school all week, I am too tired on Friday evenings to care about television. I occasionally catch the news, but often don't even care what's happening in the world. It's a good time to think about Sunday music and rest.
  • But traffic and restaurants are all crazy on Fridays, at least in the cities where I've lived (Boston, Cleveland, Baltimore).
  • incantuincantu
    I wasn't online last night because I was up late copying St. Gall neumes, by hand, over my own transcriptions of the chant. Is this why I'm still single?
  • Donnaswan
    How come you guys are not watching 'What not to Wear'? It is de rigeur for Fridays at my house! LOLOLOL
    Donna

PS. There was nothing worth reading on CMAA forum on Friday.
  • CharlesW
    Because we are guys. ;-) Our mindset is that we showed up and are wearing clothes. What else could you want? LOL.
  • Charles in CenCA
    We're MEN, We're men in tights, we're manly men.....

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay.....

Standin' on the corner, watchin' all the.....
  • G
    Ummm, 'cause it wasn't even on last night, Donna? (Embarrassed that I know that, but ever since the episode where they did a make-over on a "priest" I just need to at least check it out. And once they ambushed someone that I had known in an earlier life, although I had no idea that he owned any superhero ensembles until I saw the show....)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Donnaswan
    Well, my daughter arrived to spend Mother's ay Weekend with us, and I didn't actually watch it last night, but isn't it Friday that it's usually on? I may have to apologize. Perhaps it's Saturday. And I have never seen a 'Priest' makeover. What's up with that? I've seen them do guys very, very occasionally.

Donna
  • G
    She was Episcopalian.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Could Incantu share his transcriptions of chant, with attendant St Gall neumes?? What an outstanding choice of activity for a Friday (or any other) night. I haven't watched TV in over two years. The last thing I watched was Charlie Rose. They don't even show really commendable late movies anymore.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Sorry I did not post on Friday night; I was at a Knights of Columbus dinner.

No television for me for years now.
    I used to turn it on and listen while preparing dinner, and occasionally glance at it.
    At some point "green" disappeared (red and blue still present);
    awhile after that the top and bottom slowly migrated toward the center;
    still later just a bright white dot at the center was visible;
    all through this deterioration the sound remained fine.
    Then one day when I wanted to listen to PBS "Rough Science" it refused to turn on.
    I mourned briefly that evening, then discovered my bookcases had many volumes to be read.
    I waited almost a year for a city-wide free-disposal e-waste event
    to avoid the $10 recycle fee and instead apply it toward a music score purchase.

Incantu, see 1 Cor 7:32.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Only watch for sports and the occasion remaining decent sitcoms (30 Rock, Simpsons, Southpark)

Oh yes, and EWTN.
  • DougS
    Or do you mean "indecent" sitcoms?! My wife and I love The Office as well--very similar to 30 Rock with its multi-layered narrative structures.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Wendy and I've become quite fond of FX's new "JUSTIFIED" series starring Timothy Olyphant as a US Marshall.
    It has that "Well, yer honor, he NEEDED killin'" "Well, Okay then, charges dismissed" ethos.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Oh yeah, forgot about the Office. Another gem amongst the ....
  • Charles in CenCA
    Mike, off topic: what're the two pieces for audition links for Rome 11?
  • Bruce E. Ford
    Amusements on Friday? How shocking!
  • Michael O'Connor
    Charles, we need to wait a little longer. The new polyphony director may want different excerpts. I hope to announce a name very soon. I'm waiting for this person to deal with some pressing issues before confirming. So, I'll be in touch with everyone about audition material shortly.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Added you to the list. Can't wait for this time next year!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    here it is friday night again.....

my observation still holds
  • Charles in CenCA
    Okay, Mssr. Ostrowski,
    I urge you to rent the 1978 PBS series, "Lily," starring the imcomparable Francesca Annis as Mrs. Langtry. It has so much that illuminates the Victorian age. We're finishing it up tonight. I have but one episode left, but sleep calls.
    And, for the record, though my youthful remembrances celebrate Miss Annis, my true love of the stage and cinema will remain Dame Helen Mirren. In either case, my beloved wife joyfully approves of my wist.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I watched the new "Sherlock Holmes" movie last night. I really enjoyed it. It includes some darker sides of the Victorian era.
    Last week I watched "The Young Victoria" - twice, in fact! I highly recommend it. Since I'm planning a trip to Scotland/England later this summer, I intend to spend much more time in London than last time (1980).
    What did you like about Young Victoria?
  • Donnaswan
    It showed Prince Albert as a young man with a nice personality and all the insecurities of youth, instead of the way we usually think of him, as a prudish know-it-all who ruined his son's life.

Donna
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    It gave me a new appreciation for both historic figures. I always take for granted that movies do not depict real life, but in some cases I certainly hope that they are closer than our ill begotten history books. Watch all the added features, especially about the filming, with all the attention to details. We all consider the Victorian Age to be quite prudish. But this movie projects a quite emancipating life from the former royal lifestyle.

Since it was, after all, about "young" Victoria, it didn't venture into personalities of her children. I'm sure that's food for another dozen movies!
  • Donnaswan
    Have to remember this takes place in the 1830's or so, not the 1870's and '80's which we usually think of as the Victorian Age.
    Not too many years before Victoria ascended the throne high society women were damping their petticoats!!
    Donna
  • Kathy
    If you haven't seen I Know Where I'm Going! you should rent it for next Friday.

Black and white, set on a Scottish island. Untranslated Gaelic talk and singing. The salt spray comes right through the screen.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Ohan'dinnayeferrrrrget,
    A more modern Scot's classic, LOCAL HERO, is a must rent if unfamiliar.
    Ye'll ne'er look at a "Rarebit" entree in quite the same way after Trudy.
  • Kathy
    Oh, and for a morose yet hopeful WWI story about grace, redemption, and maudlin tragedy there's the British miniseries To Serve Them All My Days.
  • Donnaswan
    Has anyone on the Brit side of the pond watched 'Lark Rise to Candleford" I read the book years ago, and have ordered the DVD

Donna
  • eft94530eft94530
    Today is Friday. It is almost evening.
    Do we have any topics?
    Maybe we could identify and work on, or even complete, some small online flash-mob tasks?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I liked when people were taking Korean food --- that stuff is AMAZING. Bulgogi has added many, many pounds to my waistline....
  • mjballoumjballou
    I'm going to watch a documentary on a hair-styling competition this Friday evening.

I've got three weddings and two Masses this weekend, as well as a writing project to finish up. It's time "for something completely different."
  • miacoyne
    Jeff O, myabe Tai Kwon do (Korean martial art) can help you with that waistine :-) and maybe you can also spread some chants there. (This is not inculturation, is it? sorry. )
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Tonight we experimented with Indonesian TERASI - Shrimp Paste Fried Rice. A Laotian woman helped me at an asian market to find a shrimp paste that was suitable. Got the onions and garlic sauteed in the wok with coconut oil (purchased to try and improve popcorn) then added a very odious teaspoon of shrimp paste, then the chicken, once it was cooked through added the cold rice and then three tablespoons of kecap manis...heated through and served with some sweet chili sauce for dipping. Nice flavor!

Recipe

If only we'd had some gunmandu (군만두) to go with it! I like chinese steamed and pan-fried dumplings, but the Koreans have perfected them by cooking them this way.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Just checking in after practicing euphonium. That's my Friday.
  • chonakchonak
    Tonight I heard a new Renaissance vocal quintet in its first year of performance sing the Byrd Mass for Five Voices and some Spanish pieces. One of them was La Bomba by Mateo de la Flecha, an insalata, a long, varied, and in this case somewhat comical piece about surviving a shipwreck.
  • francis
    Friday night. I never post on Fridays cause I'm usually doing something else. Gotta go... Takin my sons to Wendys fer a late night Frostie. Not too much else to do out here in the www.
  • Michael O'Connor
    My collegium group at U Maryland did Flecha's Jubilate, which is an ensalada on Christmas tunes (with several moments of mocking Frenchmen!)