Observations --- Friday Nights in CMAA-land
  • Erik P
  • Kathy
    Went to a very nice EF and crashed the scola. Upside: Celebrated the great St. Ephrem for the second time this June. Downside: Mozart's Ave Verum. Double downside: no Colloquium this year :((((

Charles, better pour me a flagon to go...
  • francis
    Gone Fishing. Please leave message.
  • chonakchonak
    (Posting via phone:)

Good evening, folks: of course some CMAAers are already at Duquesne, having participated in the Chant Intensive, and some of us are already on the way to Pittsburgh. I'm on the road from MA, but stopped off to watch the drum corps season's kickoff show in Allentown. The dance element of this art form shows me what good things would be possible if the would-be liturgical dancers knew where their energies really belong! :-)
  • Uniforms, bad children, revenge and pies: Where was I tonight? Was it " Mildred Pierce " or "Titus Andronicus?
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    CHANT CAFE rocks, JT
  • Kathy! You "crashed the Scola"? You mean the Cardinal Archbishop of Venice?!?
    You're gonna need much more than a flagon of chiante and some fava beans to get outta this scrum.
  • Kathy
    Strangely that is the secomd Hannibal Lecter joke I've heard today. The first Patriarch of Venice joke, though.
  • There is nothing strange about Hannibal Lecter, and he enjoys a proper joke. Him I know. Scola, not so much.
  • CharlesW
    This Friday night was uneventful, and that's not a bad thing! I went to Home Depot and bought crepe myrtles. Lovely, but will now have to be planted. There's always a worm in the apple, isn't there? ;-) Today, back to organ practice for Sunday.
  • IanWIanW
    Following some recent discussion here, and in a fit of nostalgia, dug out a (slightly yellowing) attempt at a Schenkerian analysis of the Bach C Major Prelude. Concluded it was an interesting exerecise but that there are and were better ways of spending time. Considered similar exercise with Shoenberg and Ruwet-style exercises, but opened a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc instead and made supper.
  • CharlesW
    IanW, you are an individual who has figured out what the truly important things in life are.
  • DougS
    Ian, and all your troubles melted away!
  • Well, even though I can't do Colloquium this year, I and 3 three other male singers sang for the first EF Nuptial Mass in Orlando in who knows how long. It really went well. We sang all the Gregorian propers -- well rehearsed -- and Palestrina's Missa Aeterna Christi munera (yes with 4 guys thanks to our excellent countertenor). For the presentation of flowers to the Virgin we did a respectable job with Palestrina's Ave Maria a 4, which was new to me. The priest was an 87-year-old fellow with some musical knowledge and a pretty good voice. We certainly need more of this! That was my Friday evening.
  • IanWIanW
    Sounds pretty satisfying to me, Michael.
  • IanWIanW
    Charles: you'll be pleased to hear the Sauvignon Blanc was American - from just to the South of you, in fact: the Leyda Valley.

Doug: that sounds like fellow-feeling.
  • Last night was a small show (dressage) with my horse and then home to for a glass of Corvino and review Byrd 3 which I am singing with David Hughes' schola tomorrow. A better Friday, for me, would be difficult to conceive.
  • francis
    One of our most dear parishoners died this past Thursday. He was studying to be a Deacon, was very devoted to our BVM, and his wife is a true saint who sings in the schola and the choir. May his soul rest in peace. He will be dearly missed by us all. Our Bishop is flying into town to celebrate his funeral Monday so the weekend became a blur when I returned from fishing. Your prayers are requested for the Kaye family. Thank you all.
  • CharlesW
    May his memory be eternal.
  • Donnaswan
    Was rereading an old Edmund Crispin (AKA Bruce Montgomery-Brit composer of film music) "The Glimpses of the Moon" written in 1977. Here's a para which shows how some things never change-The Bishop.... in any case found the Rector much less of burden than incumbents of some other parishes in his diocese, who were given to composing pop masses, selling Coca-Cola in the vestry, blessing motor-cycles and other similar unedifying practices, thereby offending such congregations as they had without permanently, or even temporarily, recruiting anyone new. LOLOL
  • chonakchonak
    Those words, posted a few months ago, apply to another thread going on tonight!
  • Just got back from an excellent lecture by Dr Chris Blum from Thomas Moore College (NH). He spoke on the Role of the Christian Writer.
  • Just got off the phone with a monk from a monastery in Missouri. They are aching for the print edition of Simple English Propers. They don't like to download all the time. They are ready to adopt the whole package with the new Missal.

The exuberance was palpable.
  • Pondering Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and eschatology.
    That happens when you're officially elderly.
  • Hey, can I take it that you just had a bday? When?
    Got Wendy's text, good development.

I'm sitting here not knowing where to start on my list of things to do at home and at the parish before Dominic arrives. Honestly I'm so rotund that making spinach noodles tonight probably took all the steam I have...

Pondering and praying over world events, too. Can't avoid eschatological musings... God help us all, prepare us to stand firm in the years ahead, and draw the world to Himself.
  • Kathy
    Went to a lecture on Dante. During the q and a I saved the world from heresy. You're welcome, world!
  • You need a cape, Kathy!!
  • Kathy
    I know! And some throwing stars!
  • eft94530eft94530
    Whew, ducked just in time!

Good to see this Discussion bumped up.
    CCCA, you finally got the AARP letter, huh? ;-)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Kathy-
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants details....
  • Kathy
    Oh gosh, if I had a dime for every time I fought heresy I could do Church music for free.

This particular story had to do with a Hindu guru, the CDF, and Meister Eckhart.

(A Hindu guru, the CDF, and Meister Eckhart are in a boat...)
  • francis
    President Obama comes walking across the water. The Hindu stands up and exclaims...
  • eft94530eft94530
    eschatology

Yes ... pondering ...
    global warming no, nuclear winter yes ...
    personal finances barely in the green,
    the USA budget definitely in the red and helping to grow the national debt ...
    A REALLY Inconvenient Truth.

Do we need another Sputnik moment, comrades?
    I was two-plus months old when the first one happened;
    my father had littered the kitchen table with radio hardware to pick up its signal,
    and lots of historically yucky (as a once-young niece would have said) things happened after that.

And in a pre-senior moment, I forgot to press the "Add your comments" button
    and went on to read something else in a different tab.
    Happy Saturday morning, everyone!
  • eft94530eft94530
    ...boat...exclaims...

"Gang way for De Lawd God Jehovah!"

Still thinking about eschatology as I see the Kathy and francis joke unfolding.

The above quote is heard about 12 min into the movie
    The Green Pastures (1936)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7YdV1aXEs
    It is in ten-minute chunks, you will have to click each segment
    ... [1/10] ... [2/10] ...
    Hopefully all can watch this movie before the files disappear from the server;
    the copyright might be still in force.
    From Wikipedia ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Pastures
    From IMDB ...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027700/
  • francis
    Meister Eckhart stands up and exclaims, "Sit down, you Hindu... You're rocking the boat!

Then the CDF get ups, looks at the two of them and says, 'Geesh you two! He then proceeds to step out of the boat and walks across the water over to Obama who is presently standing still with arms folded and a snarl on his face. The CDF then says, "I guess you've run out of sand bar, eh?"