Observations --- Friday Nights in CMAA-land
  • chonakchonak
    La Bomba had some moments of vocal mimicking of the tuning of a guitar, and then cursing at the guitarist, and then more "tuning", until "that was much better". :-)
  • Donnaswan
    I spent my Friday night at a Memorial Mass. Very interesting, since the Spanish 'band' showed up unannounced to participate, after I had organized and printed a bulletin with traditional hymns. The Bishop was in attendance, too. So we had a 'blended' Mass on the spur of the moment. LOL

Donna
  • CharlesW
    This Friday, I spent the evening practicing for our school graduation mass. I had to accompany the school strings this morning on "Pomp and Circumstance" - does the sound of a chain saw running across the back of a cat mean anything to you? ;-) Love that "Festive Trumpet Tune," by David German. It made an excellent postlude. This afternoon, one of my former students is celebrating his high school graduation. Party time at his house - woo hoo!!! :-)
  • Charles in CenCA
    Charles, I played for our 8th grade graduation ceremony, Elgar up front, Clarke bringing up the rear with a Ken Canedo tune midstream that the kids sing traditionally.
    Then it was home and "Theology Roundtable" with my wife and one of our organists, and some fine reds.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, sounds like a pretty good day to me!
  • Kathy
    Byrd is good; bulgogi is better.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Donna, Isn't that always the case? I remember trying to coordinate Holy Thursday with the hispanic group. They never confirmed their appearance so I just figured they wouldn't be there. Sure enough they show up and ask where they should play/sing. If my priest had not intervened, I would have politely said "please join the congregation". So, we did a very long Spanish communion song.
  • Donnaswan
    For several years I tried my best to combine the 'band', the Spanish 'band' and the traditional choir for Triduum. An exercise in frustration guaranteed to send one over the edge. And the congregation HATED it!! I gave it up a couple of years ago, and now use those Spanish Psalms in Responda & Acclama for Vigil readings. Seems to work. But you are right about the Spanish group. They were asked to participate a week ago, and never replied. Just showed up 5mins or so before Mass. Oh well.
    Donna
  • Charles in CenCA
    Don't get me started, you guys.
  • Michael O'Connor
    I know it's a cultural thing, but why are WE expected to be sensitive to their culture, but THEY who are new members of our society are not expected to respect, let's say, the "prevailing norms" of our professional music culture?
  • Donnaswan
    That's what I'm asking, Michael. Not to mention that every time I hear those women sing, I just itch to get hold of them and teach them how to at least sing in tune and use something besides chest, no matter how high the notes are.

Donna
  • Kathy
    I told the girls I work with that the head voice is like if you had a condo, and one day you opened a door and found out you had an entire extra condo for free.
  • chonakchonak
    It's Friday evening again, and time to bump the what-are-you-doing-Friday-evening thread.

I'm tinkering with a possible design for a 2010 Colloquium T-shirt:
    [first version deleted, see below for revised version]
  • eft94530eft94530
    chonak, you are too funny.
    I just got home from playing for grade eight graduation and cleaning up the church
    and the thought occurred to me that I must find this Discussion and bump it up if nobody else had,
    while muttering to myself that this Discussion should be renamed to "Friday Nights in CMAA-land"
    or some such so it is easier to find.
    I like your discussion name and the t-shirt draft.
    When you set up your multi-level-marketing (MLM) website system,
    will there be a special edition shirt with the added text "I support the CMAA"
    and how many would someone have to sell to accumulate sufficient funds for airfare, tuition, etc? ;-)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I remember what drove me totally crazy about being an undergraduate Music Theory major was listening to the "Schenkerian analysis" presentations.

I remember one girl gave her Master's presentation and she did all four Chopin Scherzi in Schenkerian analysis.

We all listened with rapt attention, because her primary professor (the one who sponsored her presentation) was this theoretical "genius" from Northwestern.

She said, "Here is my Schenkerian analysis of the first Scherzo. It can be reduced to scale degrees ^3 - ^2 - ^1." She illustrated with a lovely graph.

Then she said, "Here is my Schenkerian analysis of the second Scherzo. It can be reduced to scale degrees ^3 - ^2 - ^1."

And so forth and so on with the other two.

Totally bogus. Nonsense. Music theory at its worst. Pseudo-intelligentsia arrogance. Let Heinrich Schenker sit down and play one of the Scherzi, and I'll tell him if he understands it. Then he can tell me that it's nothing more than 3-2-1.

However, I do believe bulgogi can be reduced to its bare essentials.

The bare essentials are the meat and the kimchi. I don't care about the rest. It's optional.
  • MLM, very funny! I second the Discussion name change you suggest, eft.

I just returned from singing as sop soloist in Mozart's Solemn Vestpers of a Confessor. What a glorious piece of choral music! To my knowledge, it was the first time in over 40 years since EF Vespers have been sung at the cathedral here. A happy day, to be sure.

Now catching up on laundry, and blog reading.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for that, Jeff. I have not heard of Schenkerian analysis before, so I looked up the relevant article on the website that contains the sum of all approximate human knowledge. Now I know that I know nothing about it.

It was a surprise the other day to find theoretical examinations of specific musical works in WP too, but they are there, including, for example, the chords and the structure of All The Things You Are, complete with audio files to play.

(If you do feel like changing the thread title as eft suggests, just edit your first entry, which started the thread.)
  • Kathy
    I had a good musical Friday night. There is a Sacred Music symposium going on at CUA. Three good teachers, and the really great presentation was Dr. Latona explaining his creative process of choosing music for Mass. Working with examples of his compositions, some of which we sang, he explained what he was looking for, artistically, and how he worked with existing resources to make music that was just right for a given Mass.
  • CharlesW
    I quit analyzing music after I graduated. It took most of the enjoyment out of it, anyway, so I didn't lose anything by giving it up.

This Friday night was my refuge from music. I know, we love the stuff, but it's good to get away from it now and then. I watched a program on the BP oil spill and enjoyed some good lapsang souchong and some wonderful chocolate. Now it's Saturday, and the cycle begins again. Time to get ready for Sunday masses.
  • don roy
    jeff
    when i first encountered schenkerian analysis, my reaction was exactly like yours. to see a masterpiece of western music so simplified was...well... kinda abusive.
    truth is, notes can only remain the same, go up or down.
    the lesson i got from schenkerian analysis is that what makes music music is obviously more than the notes. its the systematic exposing of layers of detail that may give insight to what makes the music tick. so with schenkerian analysis its more the journey then the destination.
  • On topic: I spent last night in the throes of the worst migraine I've had since my frosh year in college. Thank God for my wife. Still reeling this am. Suffice it to say I think it was stress induced dealing with, of all things, the PA system problems of one of our four parishes. Dumb stuff.

I studied Schenkerian ANALysis with Dr. Steven Gilbert, who co-wrote a widely used text on it and who studied under Schenker at Harvard, I believe. Being a harmonic kinda guy all I remember "getting" at the time was it's all "V-I." Really, professor? I received an "A" that I attributed to showing up for all the classes; I ANALyzed the final excerpts to reflect my cursory thesis, not really too concerned and happily dazed and confused during that two hours.
    Maybe I should regard Schenkerian as I do Freudian: all things eventually boil down to things scatological....."heh, heh, heh.....she said 'German sixth inverted,' huh, huh, huh.'"
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    wow, great shirt! any additional choices? What about the backside?
  • Erik P
  • Oh my Jeff, you miss the point... The presenters likely did not say that any of the scherzi boiled down to ONLY ^3 ^2 ^ 1 and that there was nothing else worth discussing in the pieces. They probably said that this was the undergirding progression. Analysis of music has only some connection to performing music. For example, a professional performer should know when he is in the development section of a Mozart sonata and take the audience into that process. Knowing the Schenkerian analysis of a Chopin scherzo is probably not as important, but I would think that a MUSICIAN would be interested in different ways of understanding great music and not publicly denigrate a thoughtful analytical process and, by extension, anyone who is interested in how music works at the architectural level. Perhaps Boethius was right about the difference between "musicians" and "performers". He attributed the former title to those who understood music and the latter to those who only had skill to play or sing it. I thought we had evolved beyond that in the ensuing centuries.

BTW my favorite Scheonberg statement was to David Diamond, who had asked him for lessons in 12-tone. "I did not mean the technique for everyone. You are young Bruckner."
  • DougS
    Well said, Michael.

I agree that when considered thoughtfully, even a Schenkerian analysis can inform performance. When listening to Furtwaengler's recordings of Brahms, for example, you can definitely tell that he was a Schenker student. Other conductors simply do not work the inner lines in the same way.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    @Michael: I am very interested in the way music works at an architectural level, but I would suggest that this does not de facto make Schenkerian analysis a valid or helpful approach. I would suggest that the best approach is to judge it on the strength of its merits. Also, I believe that the best performers are good musicians.

@Doug: Have you heard Furtwängler's recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion? Several friends and I were revisiting it the other day with great delight.
  • Jeff, you are limiting your experience of music too much. Schenkerian analysis has stood the test of time as a valid and useful study tool for tonal and atonal music. I've seen some try to apply it to pre-tonal music with much less success, though.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Michael --- QUESTION: Are we allowed to post on this thread when it is not Friday night?

;-)
  • don roy
    jeff
    the furtwangler recording....isnt that the one where the tempos are excruciatingly slow. (the opening chorus took an entire side of a standered lp if memory serves.
    as much as i hated the tempos, once i got used to it there was a gravitas and profundity that ive not really seen elswhere
    the idea of spending friday night with a good friend discussing historic recordings of trhe st. mathew passion sounds like my idea of heaven. (see! I AM on topic!)
  • IanWIanW
    Schenkerian analysis has stood the test of time as a valid and useful study tool for tonal and atonal music

Michael, is that what you do of a Friday night for a bit of R&R? Schenkerian analysis? For Pete's sake!!!

I can just imagine the conversation in Queensbury:

Eh up, Mike, art tha coming down t'club for t'rehearsal and a beer?

Nay, lad, I'm just in t'middle of a fascinatin' prolongation problem ...
  • IanWIanW
    Speaking of beer, I see no other mention of it here in the context of a Friday evening (or any other manifestations of alcohol, for that matter). Should I have modified my drinking patterns when I took out my subscription? Is breakfast drinking de rigueur for CMAA members??
  • Ian, beer is assumed of course. BTW I haven't done a lot of Schenkerian analysis in recent years. It just doesn't work for pre-tonal music. However, my kind of pub is one where it would be welcome!
  • Mike, I see you in the pub in Innisfree in great John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara "The Quiet Man." While the Duke is sharing punches with O'Hara's brother, you're on the corner stool, with your pipe and a pint oblivious to the tumult, and marking your scores.
  • chonakchonak
    An update on the tee design (updated again Friday evening 6/11):
    front:back:

This may change, depending on what dimensions the printing company tells me are possible.

And if somebody who (unlike me) has actual design skills turns up, they may offer something more interesting!
  • JamJam
    Is this shirt a serious thing? Could I get one even if I don't come to the Colloquium? (I'm in CO for the month, otherwise I'd only be 45 minutes away DX)

I'd like to wear one around Franciscan campus and be like a walking advertisement for the CMAA.
  • chonakchonak
    Once I get the design pinned down, AOZ intends to have some made for sale at the Colloquium.
  • DougS
    Maybe in ten years you shouldn't make the anniversary roman numerals so large. :-)

Love the shirt!
  • eft94530eft94530
    I guess I am the first to report my Friday evening plans:
    watching EWTN The World Over
    followed by some archive.org movie (TBD)
    while working on my Knights of Columbus council history project.
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, eft! Thanks for the tip about archive.org movies. That reminds me, there's a good site with links to documentaries on the net.

A sample of the tees arrived today, and it looks very nice.

Now I have to review the chant propers for a nuptial High Mass in New Hampshire on Saturday.
  • JDE
    It's Friday night, and I am reading up in preparation for writing Wedding Music guidelines for my parish. It is interesting to note what was written about Schubert in the 1914 Catholic Encyclopedia:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13591b.htm

His productivity from 1821 to 1824 was enormous, "Rosamunde" and his "Mass in A flat" being of permanent value. His glorious Ave Maria> dates from 1825, apropos of which he writes that at the time he was filled with overpowering devotion to the Blessed Virgin.

Now, this article was clearly not written by a musicologist, nor by anyone familiar with Schubert's Ave Maria, because the poetry was actually the work of Sir Walter Scott. Meanwhile, the encyclopedia pillories Gounod, who was a pretty devoted Catholic.

Schubert never intended this song as a devotional piece, and in fact seemed to have some problem with the Church in general. So how fair is that? So we're going to put a moratorium on the Schubert Ave Maria at my church. I did it for years, but then it was requested by someone wealthy who gave lots of money to the church, and then it was all over.

As an alternative, however, my inner flea market man is suggesting I might want to charge a $500 mortification fee for singing it at weddings (special, only $300 for funerals).
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for pointing out this bit of history!
  • Yes, it is actually from his Liederzyklus vom Fräulein vom See (based on Scott). Perhaps it is overused, but the devotion works very well, even with the orginal German words, which I definitely prefer for this tune. In the right circumstances, I think it's appropriate.

Like everything else there is Wiki entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellens_dritter_Gesang
  • Kathy
    This Friday night I've discovered Elgar.
  • JDE
    After all these years, the version I like the best is still the one by Perry Como. My mother had it on a vinyl record (remember vinyl?) and used to play it all the time at Christmas.

Don't get me wrong - it is a sublime piece. But when there are ten zillion other settings that are more like Sacred Music and less like a Lieder recital (and also less operatic), I'm trying to encourage people towards some of those better versions.

That said, of course I still sing it. And flea market man notwithstanding, I cannot in good conscience charge an extra $500 for it at a wedding. Even though the thought is pretty tempting now that I allow myself to think it.
  • CharlesW
    I still use the Schubert setting, along with several others. I actually like the Arcadelt much better. Is it the greatest piece of music ever? No, but I can pick up the hymnal and find much, much worse. It is "tradition" for the Schubert to be sung on or near Mother's Day in my parish - not a liturgical holiday, I know. However, a former chancelor who is now a bishop, maintained that many of the things we have done for many years in that parish, qualify as "local custom" and are permitted. Since he's a canon lawyer, I quit worrying about it after that, and just do it for the benefit of others who get something from it.
  • marajoymarajoy
    sometimes, when people request for funerals "the Ave Maria," I just sing the chant one...I've never actually had anyone complain!
  • Last night Wendy and I learned we miss Kathy a lot.
    We came back from dinner and realized we needed more time with her and MA.
    I was a little forlorn when God smiled and the phone rang- MA wanted to know if she could come over for more commiseration (not really an accurate word.) So she left her wonderful hubby and three perfect little guys, made to our hotel and we talked Beethoven and modality et al until she forced herself to leave at midnight.
    Cinderella story, nobody forlorn no mo'.
    Still missed and miss Kathy.
    But friends and neighbors, this is the gift that is colloquium and CMAA as Jeffrey eloquently wrote at MS blog- nothing compares to one, not an ACDA or NPM convention. What is forged at colloquium are friendships and discipleships that might be the closest thing we'll ever experience to those of our Lord's followers. Singing is for those who love.
    If nothing else, it beats a boot to the head or migraine on a Friday night.
  • What is to be made of the Friday night silence from the Eastern Sea-bored? Here it is 4:30PST and no one's said "I can't believe Boston gave up a 13 point lead!"
    You're all packing for PA? You're despondent after watching DVD's of "The Road" and "The Book of Eli" one after the other?
    You're going over all your scribblings in the PBC and the modes?
    Well, I'm wit'cha. Wendy took the grandsons to Toy Story 3, which proves she's not just the best grandmother in town, but the strongest woman! She'll be going to see their mom, our eldest, as Mrs.Hannigan in a local mounting of "ANNIE."
    Note: dad's not going to either.
    If I get real brave I'll make an appearance at the annual RE "Thank You Dinner" stag. If I'm braver I'll try to pack my carry on bag. We're not checking bags with United. Even tho' they lowered the fee from 50 to 25. I'm not making bets on the carry on success. I'm already down one bottle of cabernet to "Kirk" from another challenge.
    Where is Colloquium this year, anyway?
    G, you gotta sing polyphony! Get a Zpack and cowboy up!~
  • DougS
    My wife and son turned Father's Day into a Father's Weekend, starting with a cookie cake from Mrs. Fields in the mall--frosted "I love dad-dad" from my 16-month-old. Ahh, Friday nights.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Bailed out of a week-long conference early and looking forward to leaving the world of economics and entering the world of sacred music, with only two days respite to put my life back in order again. I'm also sitting here extremely pleased about the launch of the Chant Cafe. It seems to be achieving something of a broad-minded and interesting tone with expertise backing it all. Very exciting to me!