If they have to travel to week evening rehearsals, could you try offering alternate weekday and Sunday-after-Mass rehearsals if there is at least an hour's gap between Masses
If a significant number are working, they will only be available on Sundays, so not for example the Triduum.
If I joined a parish choir I would expect to sing every Sunday, solemnity, Ash Wednesday, the Triduum, and anything else that comes up. I would also expect weekly rehearsals at the minimum as well as extra longer rehearsals during Lent and Advent. Furthermore, I would expect to be expected to practice at home and be prepared to rehearse at rehearsal.
(leaving aside my objections to the term "perform" in a liturgical context)People's lives are very busy. I encourage you to be thankful for their dedication and enjoy when are able to perform. I have been in parishes where this would have been like manna from heaven. It may change over time. You never know.
Do they have rehearsal aids to practice at home? Is there a core of interested singers who want to sing any chance they get?
If I joined a parish choir I would expect to sing every Sunday, solemnity, Ash Wednesday, the Triduum, and anything else that comes up. I would also expect weekly rehearsals at the minimum as well as extra longer rehearsals during Lent and Advent.
It’s a dictatorship, not a democracy.
Granted, it doesn't have to be the same choir week in and week out
The challenge is finding people who see choir as a long-term ministry. Weekly rehearsals and weekly sung Masses can work when there is a strong sense of mission and a stable repertoire. When every week requires significant preparation, however, volunteers may begin to experience choir more as work than as prayer and ministry.
Even catechists get the summer off - but not the organist!
I'm not that familiar with your province's labour laws, but if you were here in BC, the Employment Standards Branch would be very interested in learning more about what you've just told us. "Legally entitled" means precisely that.Last Christmas was the first time in over 12 years I was able to take off a week of my legally entitled three weeks of vacation time. A lot of people are in the same or similar situation.
I'm not that familiar with your province's labour laws, but if you were here in BC, the Employment Standards Branch would be very interested in learning more about what you've just told us. "Legally entitled" means precisely that.
You know who else doesn’t get the summer off? The majority of full time working people.
what they think they can get away with
This right here is another part of why so many parish music programmes have collapsed. You can get something really special going in a parish under a supportive pastor, then the next round of pastoral assignments transfers him away, and the new pastor thinks the liturgy needs to be more "entertaining" and "relevant" and sweeps it all away. Lather, rinse, repeat. (And when the same thing happens on a diocesan level under a new Bishop, it's even worse!)In my experience, the choirs that lasted for decades were built around a stable repertoire that became part of the parish's musical memory. The singers weren't simply learning music; they were carrying something forward. That's one reason I think commitment, repertoire, formation, and pastoral leadership all have to work together. A choir's sustainability depends on all four. [emphasis mine]
To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.