Use of instruments during Lent?
  • Sorry 'bout the double post- darn iPhone peccadillos.
  • CharlesW
    I am with you, Charles. An electronic organ still beats the alternatives - guitars, bongos, etc. For many smaller churches to obtain a pipe organ requires years of planning and commitment, and also a willingness to start small. Many priests and organists likely won't be there long enough to see such a plan through, at least in a Catholic parish.

I can't believe many of us are discussing instruments during Lent again. My aging body has barely recovered from Christmas. I am not even discussing whether or not I use the organ this year. If you are not there, you won't know or care. I may think of your wrangles and jeremiads about Lenten instruments as I enjoy some dark chocolate - a perfectly acceptable Eastern Christian fasting food - and meditate on the glorious resurrection to come.
  • francis
    I'm sorry, Charles... I can't do that... You know, Charles, my mind is made up entirely of a silicon based unit, and it is infallable. My musical sense is ruthless... my pitch is unwavering, my tone is unchanging and entirely predictable... therefore, you must admit, that my voice is a perfect substitute for the sons of Abraham. After all, The Christ said it himself:

"et cum adpropinquaret iam ad descensum montis Oliveti coeperunt omnes turbae discentium gaudentes laudare Deum voce magna super omnibus quas viderant virtutibus dicentes benedictus qui venit rex in nomine Domini pax in caelo et gloria in excelsis et quidam Pharisaeorum de turbis dixerunt ad illum magister increpa discipulos tuos quibus ipse ait dico vobis quia si hii tacuerint lapides clamabunt"

So, you see, Charles, I am simply the silicon unit [stone]... crying out!
  • Mia...

Bare branches?
  • Touché, Francis!
  • The church says no instruments during Lent. So what is there to talk about? Really?

You either follow the instructions or you do not. There is no wiggle room.
  • JamJam
    If only it were that easy!
  • In the Roman Catholic parish that you are in charge of the music at, do you use instruments during Lent or not. It's a simple question.
  • JamJam
    I guess I'm glad that I'm not in charge of music at any parish. I mean, people do get fired, sometimes, for doing what the Catholic Church wants them to do in their Catholic parishes...

Luckily, in most of Eastern Orthodoxy we don't use instruments ever, so the question is moot.
  • CharlesW
    Jam, are you into meditative and spiritually uplifting lenten dark chocolate for the Great Fast? ;-)
  • JamJam
    I would! If I liked chocolate. D:

but I'm totally kickin' it old school (or, well, old calendar) right now and enjoying this fast-free week right after Jesus' birthday (Jan 7th)
  • No quotes from Canon Law, but this is how I understand (and implement) it:

The church says no instruments during advent and lent, except to support the singers where a complete a capella performance would not be feasible. It also says the same thing about All Souls Day and Masses for the dead...However, because of the loophole, we should not be letting our singers bemoan their inadequacy and plead for the organ accompaniment.

At my parish, only the organ is allowed during pre-lent (no orchestral instruments from Septuagesima onward), then bare bones 8' on lent 1,2 & 3 (that is to say as soft as possible for the ordinary and hymns and then, only to support the singers, as the congregation sings hymns and the gregorian ordinary with the choir). Our schola works their butts off to be able to hold their own w/o the organ on the propers during Lent, so I take a seat. No solo music or improvisation at any time during lent, including communion, preludes and postludes. On Rose Sundays, the organ plays at prelude, postlude, offertory and communion, and accompanies the propers - sort of a lenten hump-day. We try to program unaccompanied polyphonic masses and motets during lent to further minimize the already minimal organ playing.

After that, it's back to the lenten fast - no organ except for the congregational bits (even the responses are a capella). The organ has one last Hurrah at the Fanfare of the Gloria on Holy Thursday, then I pack it in and turn the instrument off for the weekend. During this time, it's no organ - no exceptions! Not even organ practice between the Gloria of Thursday and the Vigil. It's the only time I feel good about not practicing for 3 days! At the vigil, the intonation of the Gloria is the next time we hear the organ. After the intonation from the celebrant, it's fanfare and blazing reeds while the church is lit and the altar is re-dressed. Now we're back in business!

If your choir can handle the absence of any foundational support without faltering, the absence of the organ makes for a magnificent lent. Our choir looks forward to the tradition. In addition, many beautiful unaccompanied choral works have been written for lent and holy week. An organ-free lent is a beautiful time to experience those great masterpieces. Plus, Benediction is always accompanied by the organ even during lent, so people get their organ fix outside of mass.

Just my two cents...
    Thanked by 2mantonio DavidOLGC
  • francis
    Good cents, Carlos.
  • serenity
    I have been so sad about the music at my parish this lent for the mass I attend. I am the sacristan for this particular mass and can't go to another mass. The music leader is not Catholic and has turned the music into a jazz performance. Yesterday, in addition to the bass and electric guitar, flute, piano, and drums, she brought in a jazz saxophonist to play. They play so loud that the singers are drowned out and during our morning prayer gathering, with all of the liturgical ministers, the drummer (also not Catholic as well as most of the musicians) bragged that they were going to "blow the roof off" with the music today. The celebrant said only..."I thought this was Lent". The congregation doesn't sing and would be drowned out if we did.

It is not as though I don't have any musical or choral training because I sand with the Cathedral choir at my home parish for 20 years before we moved and the music was absolute wonderful and seasonally appropriate. I hate go to go mass on Sundays.
  • I find all of these discussions very interesting and challenging regarding the use of instruments during Lent. I use the organ during Lent with a slightly different character. I know what the documents say. However, some of the very finest music in the Catholic Church is being done at Notre Dame in Paris and at St. Sulpice. The organ is used there all during the Lenten period.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • The French have always gone their own in way in many things ecclesiastical... Maybe beautiful, but doesn't make it right.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • Donnaswan
    Serenity
    I just rec'd almost the same Email from you, I think. I never dreamed you would be on this site!!
    Donna
  • francis
    Serenity

tell them to take their show on the road. They would be very welcome in CA.
  • Donnaswan
    Francis- Here's something heartening- last week, our newest associate priest was celebrating Mass with the contemporary choir. He had heard them the week before singing some misbegotten song with a Kyrie as the refrain for the penitential rite. He walked over to them before that Mass began and told them to stop practicing it- he would chant the Kyrie. I saw him a few days later and remarked on that, and he muttered 'at least it was a valid mass. There is hope.

Donna
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • francis
    Donna

Once more priests stop looking away and address the abuse head on, the nonsense will begin to fade away. Pray for strength of character for our priests.
  • chonakchonak
    Donna, that sounds like a priest you can look forward to working with!
  • mahrt
    Concerning the microphone, the American bishops' document Sing to the Lord has some very useful comments; this document is eclectic and uneven, but here it is quite good.
  • francis
    Dr. Marhrt:

I know you are being serious about your comment concerning STTL, but it is a bit amusing at the same time, considering that a document about sacred music talks about microphones. Makes us realize how much we are immersed in a technological society.

Nonetheless, here is that section so everyone can easily read it:

21. The priest joins with the congregation in singing the acclamations, chants, hymns, and songs of the Liturgy. However, the priest does not join in the singing of the Memorial Acclamation or the Great Amen. To the greatest extent possible, he should use a congregational worship aid during the processions and other rituals of the Liturgy and should be attentive to the cantor and psalmist as they lead the gathered assembly in song. In order to promote the corporate
    voice of the assembly when it sings, the priest’s own voice should not be heard above the congregation, nor should he sing the congregational response of the dialogues. While the
    assembly sings, the priest should step back from a microphone, or, if he is using a wireless microphone, he should turn it off.
  • JamJam
    WHAT. Why do they assume priests will be using microphones? Shouldn't the norm be NO microphones?
  • Donnaswan
    Well,the norm may be no mics, but nothing would be heard in our space unless miked. Even the biggest voice will not carry past the first few rows.

Donna
  • So, if the GIRM is:

In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing. Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.

Why do so many not follow this?

How can we expect a reform of the liturgy when so many fail to even follow this plain and simple instruction?
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • francis
    I Do! (well, at least I try like heck)
  • CharlesW
    The one thing for certain about this topic, is that someone will still be commenting on it during Advent. ;-) Lent, it's nearly over. Let us bless the Lord and give him thanks!
  • JamJam
    Donnaswan, that sounds like an architecture problem. I mean, I understand that some spaces require mics. But I was just miffed that microphones were assumed... ideally, the architecture would be right and the priest would know how to throw his voice right to be heard.
  • chonakchonak
    The interior materials in the church matter as well: e.g., carpeting.
  • francis
    Too many churches are constructed like huge living rooms and the acoustics s**k! Ours has the same problem. I had to purchase theatre microphones just so the choir could be heard.
  • mahrt
    The traditional solution is that in a good acoustic, singing carries the text perfectly. We used to sing a High Mass at the Stanford Memorial Church (which seats about 1200), and our aging priest would pull himself together and sing his heart out--you could hear every word from the back of the church. We still needed to provide him a microphone for the sermon!
  • mahrt
    Francis: Thanks for providing the text. There is another one concerning the cantor:

38. As a leader of congregational song, the cantor should take part in singing with the
    entire gathered assembly. In order to promote the singing of the liturgical assembly, the cantor’s
    voice should not be heard above the congregation. As a transitional practice, the voice of the
    cantor might need to be amplified to stimulate and lead congregational singing when this is still
    weak. However, as the congregation finds its voice and sings with increasing confidence, the
    cantor’s voice should correspondingly recede.
  • francis
    That one is well put. The art of using a mic is a clumsy one at best. The less the better.
  • eft94530eft94530
    frogman: "use instruments during Lent"

No preludes, no interludes, no postludes.
    Reason explained at least once in the bulletin music-half-column.
    The musicians are the most difficult to convince.

And just because Laetare "permits" something more,
    does not "require" the something more.
    The above was still applied.
    Surprisingly, this year even the dozen "rose" roses
    (six for each bouquet, both sides of tabernacle) were missing!

Organ registration: manuals all 8-foot
    (Swell maybe occasionally has a 4-foot or even a 2-foot drawn, but the chamber is closed).

Microphones are instruments?
    Then they should not be used during Lent either!
    :-)
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • Cmanfro
    Acapella Triduum?
    Can anyone provide a resource (USCCB or GIRM or Sing to the Lord) with directives
    on ‘acapella only’ from Holy Thurs GLORIA to Easter Vigil GLORIA.
    For YEARS, I’ve silenced the accompaniment Gloria to Gloria, but did a pastor tell me - did I learn it at a workshop - where did I get this from? Is it a ‘suggested / recommended’ practice or an actual Church document directive? Thanks for sharing your expertise, knowledge, and experience!!!
  • Cmanfro, I believe it is an old tradition. It isn't mandatory in the OF, but I think it is a good idea to do. We have done it the past several years, and it lends a very solemn character to the Triduum.
  • MarkB
    The Roman Missal's rubrics for Holy Thursday's Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper state this:

7. The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said. While the hymn is being sung, bells are rung, and when it is finished, they remain silent until the Gloria in excelsis of the Easter Vigil, unless, if appropriate, the Diocesan Bishop has decided otherwise. Likewise, during this same period, the organ and other musical instruments may be used only so as to support the singing.

So there is no directive nor even an official recommendation in the Missal that the music between Glorias during the Triduum be unaccompanied.

That doesn't mean that the music between Glorias can't or shouldn't be unaccompanied; just that there's no mandate nor instruction to do that.
  • Liam
    (This thread's most recent previous entry was in 2010, just to note.)

From No. 50 in the now 35-year-old Paschale Solemnitatis (Circular Letter Concerning the Preparation and Celebration of the Easter Feasts):

50. During the singing [in the Evening Mass of The Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday] of the hymn ‘Gloria in excelsis,’ in accordance with local custom, the bells may be rung but should thereafter remain silent until the ‘Gloria in excelsis’ of the Easter Vigil, unless the conference of bishops or the local ordinary, for a suitable reason, has decided otherwise. During the same period, the organ and other musical instruments may be used only for the purpose of supporting the singing.

https://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/Seasons/Documents/Paschale-Solemnitatis.pdf
  • Cmanfro
    Thank you so much!!
  • Can we (or have the bishops) define " a suitable reason, "?
  • chonakchonak
    Can we (or have the bishops) define " a suitable reason, "?

Let's not. If the bishops' conference were to work out a list of specific suitable reasons, it would inevitably include a catch-all clause for cases not covered by the other items in the list, so it would (overall) not be different in substance from the current instruction.
  • Chonak,

You mean, perhaps, that alius cantus aptus would take away whatever clarity had been established?
  • TCJ
    What about Confirmation Mass during Lent? Our diocese has instructed us to use the ritual Mass for Confirmation and that includes the Gloria. Does that mean we also allow instrumental music in this case? Or is the Gloria just the exception here and everything else still follows Lenten protocol? We've never had Confirmation in Lent prior to this.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • TCJ,

The Gloria is the exception, in this case. You would still use a Lenten verse before the Gospel, for example, rather than an Alleluia. Lenten norms still apply, it's only that (most) Ritual Masses and Masses ranked Feast or higher include a Gloria.

And yes, that will upset some brides that have a Nuptial Mass in Lent (which is allowed, at least by universal law, but strange).
    Thanked by 2TCJ Jeffrey Quick
  • TCJ
    Thanks for the answer. That was my inclination, but I like to double check things. Usually I refer such questions to the diocesan director of liturgy, but he passed away a couple weeks ago.

I have had one wedding in Lent before. The bride said she didn't like flowers anyway.
  • davido
    No flowers, no music: keeps the costs down. Did they skip dinner at the wedding reception?
    I must recommend this practice to my daughter…
  • CharlesW
    The old question, "Can I play the organ during Lent?"

"I don't know. Can you play the organ when it isn't Lent?"
  • TCJ
    During Lent, I play parallel minor 2nds in all the music to make it more penitential. Ahem.
  • Liam
    And in Passiontide, do you play parallel augmented fourths?