Use of instruments during Lent?
  • ServiamScores
    I prefer diminished fifths, myself.
    Thanked by 2WGS Liam
  • ServiamScores
    To shift the needle slightly: the GIRM says no organ during lent except to support singers, but this would really only pertain to masses, correct? For instance, what about vespers? Or liturgies of the word? (Now, obviously, the GIRM sets the standard, and presumably, other liturgies shouldn’t be wildly disparate… but it still begs the question.) I could imagine a quiet voluntary for the rite of election, or for an adoration/benediction service, for instance. Thoughts?
  • rich_enough
    The customary way to understand this is that strictly liturgical services (Mass, Vespers) follow the no-organ rule, whereas para- or non-liturgical services (Benediction, Stations of the Cross, Seven Last Words, etc.), would not.

Having said that, the spirit of the season would suggest that the organ be subdued even for these services. So the Stations of the Cross could include organ interludes and a (non-flashy) prelude and postlude - and it would be a wonderful opportunity to play that beautiful Lenten organ repertoire.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • CharlesW
    When I played full time, I used the organ to accompany singing during most Sundays of Lent. "Pink" Sunday - that use to drive our associate crazy when a number of us wore pink shirts on that Sunday - I played as i would for a regular Sunday mass. I saved the real bombast - trumpet fanfares and such - for Easter.
  • Bombarde16
    Conception Abbey accompanies Mass lightly (spitzflute/ gemshorn, or something similar) during Lent. Vespers and Lauds are entirely Acappella (as far as I understand) with no organ voluntaries of any sort.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen DavidOLGC
  • WGS
    Rich-Enough:
    You referred to "para- or non-liturgical services (Benediction, Stations of the Cross, Seven Last Words, etc.)" My understanding is that Benediction is considered to be of the liturgy of the Church and thus should be celebrated according to the rubrics (albeit in accord with options as provided).
  • GerardH
    I'd need to find a reference, but I believe solo organ is permitted at Exposition/Benediction during Lent for the same reason that the vestments during the same are always white
  • a_f_hawkins
    Prior to 1973 there was no published universal rite for Exposition/Benediction, these were promulgated by Eucharistae sacramentum 21 Jun 1973.