Use of instruments during Lent?
  • kevinfkevinf
    How many of you do not use instruments at Lent?
  • Organ, just for accompanying hymns.
    I'll slip in a free accompaniment on Laetare.
    No preludes/postludes.
    No obbligato instruments.
    My pastor is big on this pattern, as am I.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • JamJam
    Get your congregation singing SATB harmonies on the hymns and you'll make the organ obsolete soon enough!

also... what does "obbligato" mean?
  • Light use of the organ -- reduced stops and/or lower volume -- for Laetare and Gaudete Sundays:

- Prelude
    - Asperges me*
    - Credo (III)
    - Seasonal Marian antiphon (after Last Gospel*): Alma Redemptoris Mater (Advent); Ave Regina Caelorum (Lent)
    - Postlude

Otherwise, the organ is only used to provide incipits for the celebrant (at the Asperges and Credo) and cantor(s) (if needed). No preludes or postludes. Also, no hymns.

*This is for the EF Missa Cantata, considered the parish's "principal Mass," which is why the Asperges (and Vidi Aquam in Paschaltide) are employed.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • CharlesW
    Where did we pick up these cranky Calvinists in Catholic music who want to forbid use of the organ? ;-) The organ has a legitimate place in the mass along with the human voice - at least that's the way I read church documents. Now I know some extremists turn it off and probably sit in their choir lofts in sackcloth and ashes during Lent, but I don't see that extremes are required. I do, however, cut back on it and don't play preludes or postludes. I accompany hymns and mass parts, and also play softly during offertory and communion times. But I don't use loud reeds and keep the volume down until Holy Thursday. After that, it's back to playing softly until the Easter Vigil.
  • I usually take some off the organ. Plus no prelude/postlude. (except Laetare Sunday)

What I usually find a problem in many parishes is that the organ is dropped, but in favor of the piano (which, in many cases, leads for an excuse to pick up the happy-clappy-crappy stuff). Not only Lent, but Advent too.

BMP
  • GavinGavin
    Charles, but you're our resident Byzantine! You should abhor our pagan noisemaker!

Actually I'm amazed by how this works. I thought I'd be deadset against it, but I tried going without the organ except at hymns (and then only 8'4') and it's incredible. It changes everything. I can't quote regulation on it, because I agree it's a silly regulation in principle. All I can say is give it a try for 3 weeks - Ash wednesday to Lent 3. You won't go back!
  • The prelude and postlude are both outside of the mass. Therefore, I don't see the regulation of "no instrumental music" applying to those times. If I don't play a postlude, they just talk - loudly. So I usually play a very restrained postlude, sometimes at only 8', or perhaps 8' and 4'. For preludes, I play standard lenten literature.

It COULD be amazingly prayerful and solemn to go without any sound for the offertory. But it's not - at least not in my experience. You hear every little cough, sneeze, and the clanking of chalices as the priest hurriedly prepares the altar. People are visibly uncomfortable with the silence and are not praying. Omitting the music has the exact opposite of what the regulation intends to enable, in my humble opinion.
  • paul
    maybe it would have the exact opposite at the beginning, but once people get used to hearing every little cough, sneeze and the clanking of chalices, I think you'll be surprised to see how sensitive they become. I make the same changes most of you listed above until Palm Sunday. After the psalm it's strictly a capella. There's no discomfort at all. As a matter of fact I think it sets the tone admirably for Holy Week. That's the ideal I use at my prinicple masses. I have to capitulate at two masses and use a little organ because the people just can't (won't) follow a lonely cantor crying in the wilderness at communion and offertory . They get all the acclamations just fine.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • The applicable liturgical documents are clear about not using instruments during Lent except for accompanying voices.
    The notion that preludes and postludes are 'technically' outside the Mass relies on extreme skills in the splitting of hairs.
    I realize that defending the primacy of the organ as a liturgical instrument is crucial in general, but to argue against the Church's explicit instructions is troubling.
    The whole point of the Lenten ban on (solo) instrumental music is abstinence/fasting!
    We never fully appreciate the celebration of Easter without the disciplines of Lent.
  • miacoyne
    No organ solo during Mass, then no instrumental prelude and postlude make sense to me. It's the musicians' sound judgement. The prelude and postlude tell you what comes in between. This is very different time in the church year. Silence will tell people more directly what Lent is about than any notes can. (Silence is a music too) I think this is one thing that the Church is very clear about the music.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • miacoyne
    If the congregation can sing hymns without any accompaniments, it would be better. (not even harmony, just the bare melody. It sounds very humble during this penitent time) We don't have any flowers on the altar during that time. We usually have a few bare branches. I don't know the instructions about the altar decoration, but the simple, bare music seems to go with it very well.
  • I'm not at all responsible for the music at the OF Masses at the parish, and the organ is not silent during Advent and Lent during those liturgies.

I figure if we're going to allow the EF to exert a "gravitational pull" on the OF, for Advent and Lent we might as well push in all the stops ;-)
  • CharlesW
    "Charles, but you're our resident Byzantine! You should abhor our pagan noisemaker!"

Gavin, I would abhor it in the Byzantine liturgy, but it has a legitimate place in the Roman Rite. I just use it sparingly during Lent, and that's allowed. During Holy Week, only the Gloria at the Holy Thursday Mass is large and loud. Things are subdued after that. I am often down to one 8' stop in places - just enough for accompaniment. Given that Lenten fasting and other acts of penitence have become laughable in the west, I don't understand the concern about the organ. It's perhaps a bit exagerated and misplaced.
  • miacoyne
    I think our faith matters in little things, such as music. (especially music in the liturgy.)
  • CharlesW
    "I think our faith matters in little things, such as music. (especially music in the liturgy.)"

We should follow the regulations governing the use of the organ in the current rite (OF). EF regulations belong in that rite, not the Ordinary Form of the mass. What I am getting at is that this is straining at gnats and swallowing camels. Lent as practiced in the Roman Rite is something that causes eastern Christians to roll in the floor laughing. In essence, it isn't practiced in the west to much of a degree at all, at least since Vatican II. The faith has far bigger problems than whether or not to use the organ during Lent. This is so typical of the post Vatican II church in America - the cart is before the horse. A good place to start would be to actually reinstate Lent and the discipline and works of penance that go with it.
  • miacoyne
    If the discipline is not reinstated by the clergies and catechists, at least musicians can help. Should we just wait until it's all straitghtened up?
    i don't believe OF and EF are so different and we have to seperate them so much. The essence is the same. Whether you do OF or EF, I believe church musicians have great power of influencing and preacing people with their attitudes towards music and the Church. If you are musicians for OF, I guess you have more freedom, but you also have more responsibility to make wise choices in your music ministry.
    It all starts with paying attentions to little things. Neglecting little things led into this huge current mess in the liturgy. We need to clean up by picking up whatever mess you see.
  • miacoyne
    One of important mission of church musicians, especially these days, is educating people, not just providing beautiful music. If you have a chance, or better, make a chance and explain to people why you don't play any instrumental music during lent. (this is a bad news for contemporary guitar group.) Maybe you can even explain it in the church bulletin like someone suggested in another thread. It's same as you have to explain these days why you sing chants. One thing I noticed in this forum is that most people here want to do more than the minimum requirements that the Church asks us to do. That's why we sing latin chants even in OF.
    Last year, I told my priest before the mass that I won't be playing any organ music because it's lent.(our MD didn't believe it. he played whatever he wants at the mass.) The priest understood,and he even explain to people about it and told them to use this silent time for their prayer. ( Some might complain again that they can pray better with music. Same people might complain that they cannot pray with latin also.) It will take time, but if you are consisitent, people will eventually get it.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Hello, my name is Dave Heywood, and I'm new. Please tell me if any Church document on liturgical music discusses, and, I hope, forbids, electronic amplification of the cantors, choir, instruments, and various other noisemakers. Of all my concerns about the many things that are driving the young people from the pews, this is one of the most serious, and one I have never seen discussed. The nice lady who yells into that mike and thinks she's a "leader of song"? Talk about penance!

Dave
    Carthage, NY
  • Dave... have you been reading about "Mr. Caruso" in the book by Thomas Day -- Why Catholics Can't Sing ? I'm re-reading it and just happened upon that portion of the book where the local prima donna on the microphone does just what you describe... I don't know that there is any such legislation that would help you... but I can commiserate with you!
  • I cannot remember the source, but I remain impressed by the observation that a liturgical rite that depends on electronic amplification in order to achieve its integral ends might indeed itself lack legitimacy. We need to be very careful that the sequential recognition of words not automatically be considered understanding/participation.
  • CharlesW
    "i don't believe OF and EF are so different and we have to seperate them so much. "

They are different, and the Vatican has forbidden mixing of the rites. We are to follow the regulations appropriate to the particular rite. That's not a matter of preference.

"That's why we sing latin chants even in OF."

Latin is allowed and even encouraged in the OF by relevant documents. It's odd how Latin has become something exotic and peculiar. Nowhere do I find any documents forbidding Latin. Even Vatican II says its use is to be continued.

"If you have a chance, or better, make a chance and explain to people why you don't play any instrumental music during lent.

I find nothing that requires silencing the organ during Lent in the OF regulations. It should be subdued, but everything in Lent is subdued. What works for you and your pastor during Lent is fine, as long as it's within the rules in GIRM. I think we all find ourselves in situations where we have to adapt and apply rules to our specific situation. It's not a matter of doing as we please. For example, in my own church, confirmation is coming up during Lent this year. That means no festive music, no Gloria, no alleluias, and no use of any of the confirmation music in the hymnal, since it's all festive. Even when we try to follow the rules, we find we have to make exceptions and adaptations. I think that's the nature of church music.
  • miacoyne
    " In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing. Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and feasts"---GIRM. 313

I'm very naive on Church instructions. Is the above instruction (a direct quote from GIRM) only for EF?
    I guess I don't need this book.
  • chonakchonak
    Each edition of the Roman Missal since 1970 has its own General Instruction (GIRM). If that quote is from the latest GIRM (2002), it applies to the OF. The Latin and English versions of the GIRM are at http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/girm/index.shtml .

You'd have to refer to older liturgical documents to find regulations for the EF (1962 Missal); e.g., "De musica sacra et sacra liturgia", 1958.
  • miacoyne
    In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing. Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.

From -- http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/girm/index.shtml

My book is the same as above. So it is for OF.
    Thanks
  • miacoyne
    "That's why we sing latin chants even in OF."
    The document doesn't 'require' latin. People can argue and get away with it if they want to. They will not be looking for the Church's intention. It's not their concern. They'll just try to be techinical on how it's is written.

"i don't believe OF and EF are so different and we have to seperate them so much. " I hope you read what i said after this. I never said mixing the two rites. It seems to be there are so many choices for OF, and you can argue pretty much about everything if you want to do it your way. But if you want to find out what the Church wants, (because the Church gives so much freedom, it can be very confusing to know what is the right way these days,) you can find out by studying the old customs and traditions. Not to follow the old rules, but to see what their intention is. Rules for EF help to decide when the choices are too wide. We cannot be perfect, but we can at least try.
    Also I found that taking out a sentence out of context from someone's post without knowing what others are trying to say can mislead greatly.
    For a musician, giving up their beautiful music even just for one mass can be a very hard thing to do. You might want to find a good reason why not. Probalby many can find a way to go around it. I think we musicians have a big pride. We can offer it up, and help others especially during Lent.

(there was a recent discussion related to this. I believe it was on Advent Instrumental music.)
  • GavinGavin
    Who cares about legislation when you have my word on it. And I'm telling you all: TRY IT. Just 3 weeks this Lent, then bring back the organ on Laetare and decide what to do on the 5th. Take the Gavin Challenge!

3 weeks: no prelude, no postlude, no interludes or improvisation, no "filling time", and accompany hymns as softly as you can without people complaining (actually, people loved me for that, and I even got a kiss from an old lady). If you don't love it, don't ever do it again and give the finger to whomever tells you it's a regulation. But I really believe most of you will fall in love with this Lenten practice.
  • Pes
    And for God's sake, please close and shroud the piano.
  • GavinGavin
    Yes. The regulation refers to all instruments, not only organ.

My challenge is void to those who are not in a parish where only the organ is used. I would propose that Lent would be a good excuse to say "We can't use any instruments in Lent, but that's too much for our church, so let's try using only the organ for Lent?" Still, if you can take the challenge, do it.
  • CharlesW
    "For a musician, giving up their beautiful music even just for one mass can be a very hard thing to do. You might want to find a good reason why not. Probalby many can find a way to go around it. I think we musicians have a big pride. We can offer it up, and help others especially during Lent. "

It's not hard to do at all. My job is easier when I don't have to play. Dealing with the choir is penance enough for anyone.

" But if you want to find out what the Church wants, (because the Church gives so much freedom, it can be very confusing to know what is the right way these days,) you can find out by studying the old customs and traditions. Not to follow the old rules, but to see what their intention is. Rules for EF help to decide when the choices are too wide. We cannot be perfect, but we can at least try. "

Of course we can't be perfect, and have to make decisions based on our individual congregations - also on the desires of the pastor. His wishes make a huge difference. But the rules for the EF have no bearing on the OF, which has its own set of rules. I don't look to the EF for guidance on the OF. Reforming the OF to make it more sacred and reverent is a worthy goal which I fully support. But I have no desire to turn it into the EF. The church simply does not forbid the use of the organ during Lent. It restricts it, but that's all it does. I think that in my own church, we restrict it enough to meet the requirements. When we do go back to using the organ fully, the difference is noticed by the congregation. Although I must admit, every year I hear some complaints about how depressing Lent is, how the music is dreary, and how the minimal fasting the church in the west requires is so horrible. Fortunately, the pastor supports keeping Lent as much of a penitential season as is possible in our culture.
  • "Dave... have you been reading about "Mr. Caruso" in the book by Thomas Day -- Why Catholics Can't Sing ? I'm re-reading it and just happened upon that portion of the book where the local prima donna on the microphone does just what you describe... I don't know that there is any such legislation that would help you... but I can commiserate with you!"

Janet,funny you should mention St. Thomas Day's book, (I think he's a saint, or at least a Doctor of the Church), I have read it and he helped to give form to the formless urges of my tabula rasa. Thank you for the commiseration.

And Daniel, excellent point: "I remain impressed by the observation that a liturgical rite that depends on electronic amplification in order to achieve its integral ends might indeed itself lack legitimacy. We need to be very careful that the sequential recognition of words not automatically be considered understanding/participation."

And to bring your insight to the sorrow of young people leaving the Church in disgust over the liturgy, the annoying amplification of various parts, not just the music, of Mass, can impress them not only as ugly, but as phony. Miserere nobis.....

One excellent observation you are all authorized to use, from an old Army Colonel, at the gathering after our parish Rosary Crusade, at which I accompanied the congregation on my fiddle (sine mikay) on the Marian Hymns in between rosaries. The Colonel directed his remark to me and one of our dear cantors, a really sweet man with a good voice (but with that one bad habit...) regarding the music he made the remark: "It was the first time in 20 years I could hear myself sing." The poor cantor looked properly flummoxed (don't know what it means but believe me he was). (N.B.: as a point of humility, the Colonel did NOT compliment my playing, but I have to respect his honesty, and I still recognize his existence... sometimes.) So one of the (minor but still important) good effects of well-accompanied, unamplified congregational singing is the pleasure of being able to hear everything: les orgues, le choeur, le peuple, et soi-meme. Sorry, it must've been my Guardian Angel Guy. And thus, to sing and to pray the hymn, or psalm, united with God and everybody! I like going to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Gates, NY when I'm visiting Mom, it is the Greek Melkite Catholic Church (they got all the bases covered there). The Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is beautiful, and there isn't an amplification system to be found in the church, ahhhh. AMEN.

Dave
  • miacoyne
    In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing. Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.

From -- http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/girm/index.shtml

Charles, this is Church document for OF and if '---allowed only' doesn't convince you, I have nothing to say. I wish you good luck.
    mia
  • CharlesW
    Miacoyne, that's what I use the organ for, to support singing. However, some here seem to imply we shouldn't use the organ at all. The regulations don't say that. What you can't convince me of is that the rules say "don't use the organ."
  • miacoyne
    The rule says no instrumental music, not no organ. No one I read here says or implies no organ at all. I don't see the regulation says 'don't use the organ.' either. i can't convince you about 'not playing instrumental music' during lent, probably no one, you have to be convinced by yourself.
  • GavinGavin
    I believe the use of the organ whatsoever is entirely forbidden for the Triduum Gloria - Gloria. Although I could be wrong on that. Someone here knows, clarify!
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, I haven't seen such a regulation anywhere for the OF. If there's one for the EF, I don't know, since I don't do the EF.
  • chonakchonak
    The rubrics for the Missal (2002) on Holy Thursday have this, which allows the organ to play to support the singing:

7. Dicitur Glória in excélsis. Dum cantatur hymnus, pulsantur
    campanæ, eoque expleto, silent usque ad Glória in excélsis Vigiliæ
    paschalis, nisi Episcopus dioecesanus, pro opportunitate, aliud statuerit.
    Item, eodem tempore organum aliaque musica instrumenta
    adhiberi possunt tantummodo ad cantum sustentandum.
  • dad29
    While music is an integral part of the Liturgy, that "music" is properly SUNG music. The organ and symphonic instruments are merely additions which are permitted.

That's the foundational thought.

The organ is an instrument of joy and life. It was once written that the organ, because of its tonal and pitch-pallette capabilities, was imitative of all of creation in praise of God--the birds, the large animals, (etc.)--or, if you like, the harmony of the spheres. That is why in some French monestaries, the organ plays 'behind' the singing of the Pater Noster. ALL of creation, ourselves included, sing to the Father in praise.

As to "life," that applies to piped organs, which require 'pneumos,' or breath; also note that electronic imitations of piped organs are discouraged...

So suppressing the organ during penitential seasons is utterly consistent with that "joy/life" understanding of the instrument and why 'support only' is the terminology for Advent and Lent. It IS meant to be restrictive.

Yes, it's symbolic. So what? Liturgy without symbol is inconceivable, unless you agree with the Modern Project that elevates Utilitarianism and Didacticism above all.

As to electronic amplification: if your pastor or singers cannot be heard without it, they are very poorly trained, indeed.
  • OF & EF???
  • Donnaswan
    If you work in an absolutely 'dead' space, as I do and very large to boot, I can guarantee NO ONE, unless it's a soprano on the order of Kirsten Flagstad will be heard from the ambo or cantor stand. And since the organ is in the loft at the rear, there is a space in time before he hears the cantor, so that means they would never be together.
    If you are singing/speaking in a lovely Gothic not too large space, go for it.
    Too loud cantors are the fault of the Music director or whoever is in charge of them.

Donna
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • JamJam
    "If you work in an absolutely 'dead' space"

sounds like an architecture problem. *sigh*

and a church-size problem, too. The ideal would be, what, 500 people per priest at the absolute max? but Catholics end up with, say, 10,000 people per priest sometimes. I guess that's a priest shortage thing.
  • Donnaswan
    On the other hand, I contend with a sound system and the person who runs it every Sunday it's a battle.
    Donna
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    thwayitis,

OF = Ordinary Form, aka Novus Ordo or the Mass of post Vatican II
    EF = Extraordinary Form, aka Tridentine/Traditional Latin Mass, now licitly celebrated according to the Missal of 1962.
    Thanked by 1mantonio
  • It's our 36th anniversary today; we're over on the central coast and I'm pecking this out on my phone- what kind of life do I have...?
    Dad, I've always gotten the "pneumos" ethos in the documents and would adhere to it fully if our parish(es) had a Daddy/Mommy Warbucks such as the Oakland cathedral benefactors.
    But in this digital age, couldn't digitally sampled electronic organs be regarded (and at least tolerated if not accepted) as re-presentations or facsimiles of pneumatic piped sound?
    To extend the physical analogy, electricity is a natural force within living organisms that travel from a central cortex via a nervous system circuit. Minus that, both with organs and organisms in this era, the instrument cannot function. Now, I acknowledge the vast chasm of the piped acoustic sound versus amplified speakers' effect and affirm the affect of pipe driven sound as superior in most ways.
    But I will digress: a person loses a hand which cannot be reattached. Technological advances now provide mechanical device options-essentially a cyber "hand"- which is integrated with the specific nerve endings that will enable the "hand" and the person to function optimally as before the loss of the hand. Do we stand on legislation or principle and deny the efficacy of this solution?
    I realize this analogy is rife with problems, but so are many parish nee cathedral budgets.
    The skill of the organist, just as that of the person with the cyber hand, to me determines the success of the representation of naturally produced sound.
    Now, back to the actual topic- I''m glad Mia and CtB have gotten to the same page.
    CtL
  • francis
    Charles

Where did that thinking come from all of a sudden? Nevertheless, it's a great topic for its own thread.

Remember, lungs are just as important as the synapses, and it is wind and vocal chord vibrations that comprise the mechanism that provides for human song! So the electronic comparison would actually be someone with one of those synthetic speech enablers for those who have had "their voice box removed"... don't you think?

To bring this even further, the maddening thinking is this. "the pipe organ requires a specialist to maintain and costs dollars more than an electronic. Let's just tear it out and be done with the hassel of maintaining it." it's kinda like the false teeth mentality. Once they are gone it is only then you appreciate what you once had.

Here's my take... Do Everything You Can to keep the real thing. It's something worth sinking your teeth into.
  • dad29
    The Church specifically allows for electronic organs--in the case(s) where finances are not sufficient for (say) a 3-manual, 70-rank piper.

Or even a 2-manual 20-ranker.

But the Church discourages electronics, period.
  • JamJam
    "But the Church discourages electronics, period."

I wish they'd discourage microphones more, then.
  • There are few buildings where people truly cannot hear.

However, the expectation that everyone throughout the entire building hear clearly every single word as if they were sitting in front of the TV remote on hand has spoiled people.

Combine that with the number people who have not been troubled to actually learn how to project their voices and still want to lector/sing.

When the organ is silent in Lent the voices can be more easily heard.
  • Hey, when are we going to get a musica sacra forum app for Iphone and Blackberry? I hate using the browser on phones. Too small.
  • Thanks, Dad, for the spanking and the "that's that" admonition.
    Francis, everyone knows I think to the beat of a different bongoist. That said I did allow and admit that flaws were present in my analogy, as there were in yours. Namely, neural synapses would trigger only devices such as the robotic larynxes such as Stephen Hawking's or cancer victims.
    Consider the reality that was fiction in 1968 with Kubrick's 2001- HAL 9000's voice quality is now digital reality. Unless "his" nerve system was compromised, as in the film with "A Bicycle Built for Two," I bet HAL could chant beautifully.
    If such aural technology was available to a human Catholic choister, would you discourage his/her participation because the legislation prefers "naturally" produced vocal sound?
    I know I've stretched the analogy to the end of the limb, but I try not to deny the advent of beneficial electronic technology when so many parishes are vitally interested in "hearing"
    the organ" but don't have the means to purchase a 10 rank casavant.
  • Thanks, Dad, for the spanking and the "that's that" admonition.
    Francis, everyone knows I think to the beat of a different bongoist. That said I did allow and admit that flaws were present in my analogy, as there were in yours. Namely, neural synapses would trigger only devices such as the robotic larynxes such as Stephen Hawking's or cancer victims.
    Consider the reality that was fiction in 1968 with Kubrick's 2001- HAL 9000's voice quality is now digital reality. Unless "his" nerve system was compromised, as in the film with "A Bicycle Built for Two," I bet HAL could chant beautifully.
    If such aural technology was available to a human Catholic chorister, would you discourage his/her participation because the legislation discourages "electronics?"
    At a time when many are hungering for the sound of the "organ" again, why not accept the digital representation of actual pipe organs when they could never afford the purchase of a used 10 rank casavant?