Cantus In Angustiis (Chant In Times Of Tribulation)
  • WGS
    For the "Invocavi Dominum", I see that the suggested translation is "Call upon the Lord".

The Invocavi surely looks to me as though it ought to be "I have called upon the Lord".

Perhaps, the suggested translation is a matter of "Well, that's the way we've always done it."
    Thanked by 3francis CCooze CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Similarly, we've adopted the Sub Tuum Praesidium as our opening prayer for each prayer, since completing the Marian Consecration last fall.
    My boys were sad to not see the translation say, "Beneath thy/your compassion we take refuge, O Mother of God..." (I told them that translations can vary, especially when one has written it to fit into a certain type of poetry, etc.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    @Ccooze

We are in complete control of our translations... we can put whatever is best. I always like accurate as opposed to poetic license, but poetic is also crucial.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Our Archbishop used this in his recent pastoral letter, it's common in the UK, and reflects the eleventh century Latin rather that the oldest Greek text.

We fly to thy protection, O holy Mother of God, despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • francis
    @a_f_hawkins

That is the translation presently used.

@Ccooze

Can you post your translation?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts one way or another on what WGS propses on the Invocavi?
  • CatherineS
    It does look like past tense to me, too. "I called upon the Lord, father of my Lord."
  • CatherineS
    I wondered about the translation of the psalm in the Recordare - it doesn't seem the same one. Either the Latin or English is cut and pasted from somewhere by accident perhaps? And the phrase "et ne perdas omnen animam viventem" is not translated?

• StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Catherine and WGS are both correct. Checking on Whittaker’s Words, the form is indeed a present active indicative - “I called/have called”. Like I said - rough translation.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    "Beneath your compassion, we take refuge, O Mother of God. Do not despise our petitions in time of trouble, but rescue us from dangers..."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Now available on my SWOTD website

http://silverwingsofthedove.org/cantus-in-agustiis
  • francis
    A number of people have sent me suggestions, revisions, etc. for B1.2 which I will post here soon. Thank you. If you have any suggestions, please post them in the next 24 hours and I will include them.

As an addition, I am including the Sign of the Cross on the first page.
  • The Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus?
  • CatherineS
    The translation of the Recordare, which I mentioned above. Do you need help looking it up?
  • francis
    @CatherineS

Yes, if you can deliver the translation here that would be wonderful.

@Chris Garton-Zavesky

I will look into that and report back.

UPDATE: I did not find any Latin prayer, only English, and no music. Did you have something in particular to suggest?
  • francis
    ALL:

We can also work on the English counterpart to the Latin GC booklet. Please list suggested titles, prayers, music below.

Tnx
  • CatherineS
    Here is the English for Recordare Domine:

"Be mindful, O Lord, of Thy covenant and say to the destroying Angel: Now hold thy hand, and let not the land be made desolate, and destroy not every living soul. (P.T. Alleluia, alleluia.) Psalm. Give ear, O Thou that rulest Israel: Thou that leadest Joseph like a sheep."

Source: https://ususantiquior.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/propers-for-votive-mass-for-deliverance-from-death-in-time-of-pestilence.pdf

But presumably the English/Latin side-by-side is copied from the Missal?

To add: I stumbled on this blog via Google, but it is quite a nice resource, with lots of handouts for EF congregations.
  • francis
    @CatherineS

laying text in now
  • francis
    UPDATE

Version B1.3

Numerous revisions, some additions and polishing.
    Thanked by 2CatherineS CHGiffen
  • francis
    UPDATE

This is a letter size version of the same file that allows you to print 1 page per each side of an 8.5 x 11. This gives you larger printing (for those of us with failing eyesight). It also allows you to mix and match pages as I hope to provide extra pages in the future, or you can just print and add pages as you desire from other sources.

I have placed the content to left and right sides of the page so that when you bind the book with a stapler, each page will have optimal visability.

This would also work well in a binder with sheet protectors. You would just slip pages in and out, even two pages per protector to simulate front and back printing.

Let me know your thoughts.
  • a_f_hawkins
    francis, thanks. but you have lost an "O" at the beginning if the last line of the Sub tuum.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    @a_f_hawkins

i am not seeing to what you are referring...
  • a_f_hawkins
    page 5, last line. in the pdf as I see it starts with a torculus with no syllable beneath it, YMMV.
    Thanked by 1CatherineS
  • francis
    it is a continuation of the musical melisma attached to the syllable, '-per' from the word 'semper' in the previous line...

now it may be that it is against the rules to divide a melisma as such, from one line to another... but that is what i received from the GABC file converted to PDF... is that what you are pointing out?

i am not adept enough to know about the GABC tool and its propensity to follow the proper idioms of chant transcription as I have only recently begun using it in the past couple of months.

are you saying i should move the torculus to the previous line?

on that subject, in general, i find the line breaks using the defaults of GABC are quite unartistic, and I have had to manipulate a number of the files to make them more pleasing to the eye in terms of typographical aesthetics.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I agree that it is somtimes difficult to get the aesthetics right. Do you know about the 'end of line note' z, which works as a line break. (also Z if you don't want the line justified)
    I don't think gabc often splits a syllable like that, in my limited use I have never had that problem. The code for the neumes on that per should probably be (hg/hih).
  • francis
    UPDATE

I have corrected the file for the Sub Tuum in both the original booklet file and in the letter size version.

Thank you a_f_hawkins for your insight.
  • francis
    an easy screen reading version that works on ereaders
  • francis
    Apparently a dust storm is approaching our country (USA).

If you have not chanted some of the prayers in this book, now is a good time to do so. Thanks.
  • Francis, today I spent ten hours on the road with a pious friend, heading to a rural celebration of the feast day of Our Lady that will occur Monday. We sang a good number of the chants from your lovely booklet to pray and pass the time while driving.

Thanks again for putting that together.

• francis
    @CatherineS

That is good to know that it is an aid in some small measure. Glad to contribute to our musical patronage and mission during these days of tribulation.
  • francis
    Bump...

pray hard.

Sing out.

“Fight children of the light...”
    Thanked by 1CCooze