ICEL Hymns for the Liturgy of the Hours, Second Edition
  • RevAMG

The Hymns of the Liturgy of the Hours:
    Translated from the Liturgia Horarum, Editio Typica Altera, 1985 and 2000.

International Commission on English in the Liturgy

1 November 2019, Solemnity of All Saints

In the Liturgia Horarum, hymns are an integral part of the celebration of the Hours, marking the sanctification of time. Each hymn is proper to a liturgical hour, observing the progression of the day and frequently drawing the mind to the creation of the world, the redemption of humanity, the struggle to overcome evil, and the glory that awaits the faithful. Spanning over 1600 years, the 294 hymns represent a recovery of a corpus of poetry of theological intensity that has yet to appear in its entirety in the official liturgical book in English. From Saint Ambrose (4th c.) and Prudentius (5th c.), to the twentieth century, this treasure trove of poetic genius of the Western Church is now being made available to the English-speaking world.

Effort has been made to capture as much of the meaning and theological content of the Latin hymns, while at the same time, respecting both natural English idiom of expression and the meter of the Latin original. In rendering the fullest sense of the Latin text, rhyme has been avoided. This is because inversion of syntax, often necessary to maintain the rhyme, creates a text that is complex. There has also been a consideration of the fact that many who pray the hours alone will be reading rather than singing the hymns.

By following the meter of the Latin hymn, these English translations permit the use of the chant melodies proper to each hymn in its Latin version. The hymns can equally be sung to metrical hymn tunes. In these videos, we present a small selection of the hymns, sung to both chant and metrical melodies, some in unison and others in harmony.

ICEL Hymns on Youtube
  • chonakchonak
    Information on the status of the U.S. edition of the Liturgy of the Hours is on-line at:
    http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgy-of-the-hours/liturgy-of-the-hours-second-edition.cfm

Will the upcoming USCCB meeting (November 11-14, 2019) advance the approval of the texts?
  • Kathy
    It is on the slate, and my sense is that the bishops tend to pass the work of the committees.
  • I daresay that Neale and co. would be appalled at this disgracefully anti-poetic Gebrauchslyrik. These read like literal translations one might find underneath the music or in an index somewhere, not hymns.
  • Kathy
    I don't think that is fair. The translations use an elevated diction and correct meter, and there is a lot of euphony. It's a great deal more than a transliteration.
  • It's not offensive like...certain past efforts by ICEL, it's just too businesslike and bland to be poetic.
  • SalieriSalieri
    The texts are a compromise, and a difficult one:

1) A text that is a faithful translation of the Latin;
    2) That scans well in the correct meter of the original;
    3) That is singable, both to the authentic chant melodies and modern tunes;
    4) That away shieth from syntax inverted;
    5) That can be recited without sounding like doggerel.

As felicitous as the translations of Neale, Newman, and others are to sing, they are sometimes so sing-songy that the recitation of these texts sound more like limericks than texts of the sacred liturgy. This is part of the reason for the aversion from regular rhymes. Remember that the Liturgy of the Hours is normally never sung, ever. (Of those places that do have a choral office, either chant in Latin using the new Antiphonale or OCO for the Liturgy of the Hours, or use the Extraordinary Form in Latin.)

Having said that: Having listened to some of them on YouTube, some texts are better than others, but that's the nature of translations. But, as Msgr. Wadsworth said at the St. Paul MN Colloquium when he presented this project at a plenary, the inclusion of these texts in a new edition of the Breviary is to get the real office hymns into the hands of the clergy for the first time since the reform of the Office, they may be sung, but it does not preclude the use of translations by Neale and others when the office is sung, particularly since some of those translations are so well-known (like "Creator of the stars of night").
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Jehan_Boutte
  • chonakchonak
    Salieri writes:
    Remember that the Liturgy of the Hours is normally never sung, ever. (Of those places that do have a choral office, either chant in Latin using the new Antiphonale or OCO for the Liturgy of the Hours, or use the Extraordinary Form in Latin.)

Let me show some examples to the contrary. It's not unusual for religious who live in community to sing some parts of the Office together in English.

Some Dominican Sisters: https://www.facebook.com/springfieldop/videos/st-dominic-day-evening-prayer-live-from-sacred-heart-convent-chapel/10160657203775510/
    Sister Servants of the Lord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8lAuhx6zZA
    Also, Carmelite convents typically have some sung Offices.

Numerous Benedictine and Trappist monasteries sing in English (though they may follow a different schedule for the psalter than the LOTH):
    e.g. Conception Abbey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wolWoiWLtg
    Buckfast Abbey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwVZofxgg44
    Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSqzchNkzA
    Here in New England, the monasteries in Hingham and Spencer, MA, and in Manchester, NH sing the Office in English; and probably some others.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Insert "in parishes" after "is sung".
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    Now that is pretty rare: the cathedral in my diocese probably still has a sung Vespers one Sunday a month, in English. I can think of a couple of other parishes with some observance of the Office, but that's recited.
  • davido
    Very disappointed in the non-rhyming poetry. However it doesn’t bother me so much in the videos of the plainchant tunes. But it sounds ridiculous to sing non-rhyming verses to the “modern” or harmonized tunes.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Westminster Cathedral has a choral vespers most days, except Saturday. But EP1 is congregational singing in the Lady Chapel, as is MP on Sundays. Despite living in the parish (over 40 years ago) I never got to 7:40 Morning Prayer (every weekday), so cannot say whether that was/is sung.
    When I moved elsewhere, my wife and I were able to get monthly services going, using -
    Parish Sunday Vespers: Evening Prayer With Benediction For Parishes
    Michael Beattie (editor) Published by Collins (1982)
    ISBN 10: 0005996996 ISBN 13: 9780005996997
    by 1985 a couple of dozen were available cheaply, having evidently never achieved much success.
    NB - that's DO not LOTH, whether these ICEL hymns will spread over the whole English-speaking world remains to be seen.
  • SalieriSalieri
    whether these ICEL hymns will spread over the whole English-speaking world remains to be seen.

From what I gather they will be printed in the new editions of the Breviary (Liturgy of the Hours), which will be replacing the edition currently used by priests and deacons (and many lay people)--This isn't just going to be a US thing but a whole-English-speaking-world thing, like MR3.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Salieri - LOTH has never been authorised for use everywhere, in particular England&Wales has it's own translation* which is authorised in many other countries (some authorise both). Our Bishops' Conference has never shown much enthusiasm for liturgical change, and since Magnum Principium and the revision of Canon 838 there is no mechanism for imposing it as was the MR3 translation.
    *©Conferences of Australia, England&Wales, Ireland. No acknowledgement of ICEL for any text.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My information, of course, if several years old, from before Magnum Principium. Also, when I say "Liturgy of the Hours" I mean whatever vernacular edition of the Liturgia Horarum Editio Typica (Paul VI office) is being used in a given country. I am sure that reality has changed since Magnum Principium, and a new universal-English Breviary translation will be unlikely, though that was the original intention of ICEL.
  • fcbfcb
    In my experience, if any part of the Office gets sung, it's the hymn. When deacons gather and we pray the Office together, it is typically only the hymn that is sung.
  • chonakchonak
    Even if Ireland, England, etc., should adopt the future ICEL LOTH, it may still be rather different from the U.S. edition, with perhaps different editions of the psalms and other scriptures, and some adjustments to the antiphons to make them consistent with the psalms. With that much difference, they might treat the hymns differently too.

There's also an edition used in parts of Africa, issued fairly quickly after the Synod of Bishops for Africa some years ago. It was the first use of the RGP in a liturgical book.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen ronkrisman
  • Kathy
    The vote should be taking place later this morning, Nov. 12.
  • jsigur
    Does anyone have the draft text of the hymns?
  • GambaGamba
    The vote was successful: 205 aye, 5 nay!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Can I complain about one subtle thing here?

Why do they need to subtly alter the melodies of the Liber Hymnarius to "fit" English? For example, in "O Christ Redeemer of the World" they alter the beginning of the second phrase, but leave the accented second syllable of the first phrase sitting alone.

I guess my point is the changes seem random. Why change one and not the other? And then, if these melodies gain popularity we're left with people who become familiar with one slightly incorrect melody should they ever attempt them in Latin. Tiny changes to the musical mind are in many ways more insidious than big ones...

Please, please, please just keep the melodies the same as in the Latin typical edition books!
  • SalieriSalieri
    While I agree completely with SkirpR, I read in another thread on the Forum that the Liber Hymnarius has been updated and published in a Second Edition. I'm curious if the altered melodies mentioned above are peculiar to the ICEL hymnary or are based upon any updates found in the new Solesmes Liber Hymnarius.
  • chonakchonak
    I asked Msgr. Wadsworth about this, and he kindly responded with an explanation about the discrepancy. To summarize, he indicated that the ICEL Music Committee did make small changes or regroupings of the original neumes in some instances, in order to provide a solution to problems posed by fitting a new English translation to the ancient melodies. These musical settings are suggestions, he noted, and it is to be expected that there would be some decisions taken which cannot appeal to all musicians. Some Music Directors may find that the Committee's "easings" do not go far enough, while there will likely be some who choose an approach adhering more closely to the original Liber Hymnarius melodies.

I would mention that the proposed melodies are not going to be printed in the breviary, but ICEL anticipates publishing them in a separate hymnal.

• a_f_hawkins
    As Salieri wrote above (11 days ago)
    The texts are a compromise, and a difficult one:
    1) A text that is a faithful translation of the Latin;
    2) That scans well in the correct meter of the original;
    3) That is singable, both to the authentic chant melodies and modern tunes;
    4) That away shieth from syntax inverted;
    5) That can be recited without sounding like doggerel.
    I think it preferable not to attempt to fit English to Latin chant patterns. The whole rhythmic stress pattern of these languages is different, why make extra difficulties?
    Based on the experience of ICEL's adaptation of the Missal tunes, I would propose an amendment to Msgr. Wadsworth comment
    there would be some decisions taken which cannot appeal to all musicians
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • Echoing jsigur's comment: are the texts available? How soon may we start to use them? What will the permissions situation be? Will we be able to use them with only attribution, or will they be subject to per-usage permissions requests (and royalties)?

Regarding the recordings available at the YouTube channel "ICEL Hymns" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6nujfC7wbbVHr3nyX1Dw2w), is it possible to find out the source(s) of the harmonizations used there?

• chonakchonak
    The texts probably won't be released until they are approved by the Holy See.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Since they will be made available in the U.S. by the USCCB, I'm betting they will be subject to per-usage permission requests and royalties.
  • a_f_hawkins
    "and royalties" - Simony !
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    "and royalties" - Simony !

Yes, but how else will USCCB continue to pay for the five-star hotels for their meetings? (Sometimes I think Luther might have gotten something right. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose, and all that.)
  • Kathy
    3 star, I think.
  • chonakchonak
    If we go by the copyright notice on the demo videos, the hymn texts still belong to ICEL, so that's where any permission fees would go. Maybe later the USCCB will want to buy the rights, as they did for the RGP; maybe not.
  • Any word on when the new Breviary and any supplemental hymnal will be published?

I do hope they are released together otherwise we'll be left trying to piece together a sung office again.
  • Earl Grey:

Sometime in 2022 AT THE EARLIEST is the most common estimation I get from those "in the know".

For this reason I encourage anyone who is taking up the praying of the breviary to find a decent USED copy/set, rather that invest the money in a new copy/set, as they will be needing a new one soon enough.

BTW, on the subject of publishing, I have suggested to any and all interested parties that it might be a wonderful thing if, just like with the revised missal, more than one publishing house seek "Recognitio" to officially publish it. We've got seven wonderful choices to pick from for the new missal, I'd like someone besides Catholic Book Publishing Company (the only one putting out the current US/Canadian breviary) to get in the game so we can have some competition to produce a breviary of beauty and dignity, rather than the "quick 'n' nasty" slap-together job they did immediately after the original 1971 Pauline Office was released.

Jes' sayin' is all!

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Would CMAA be interested in such a project? Perhaps a version designed for actually singing the Office--similar to the Mundelein Psalter, but with actual antiphons, etc. I've heard the Liturgical Institute at Mundelein has no plans to create a new version.

Assuming the official breviary will be designed for reading the office, perhaps even an online resource where a sung version of a single office could be printed for solemn vespers.

I've spent many hours setting the hymns of the commons to metrical hymns since most people aren't comfortable singing from just the text. Now I'll have to redo everything with the new texts, unless there is an actual hymnal with the new hymns. It would be good to share such resources rather than reinvent the wheel for each community.
    Thanked by 1RMSawicki
  • chonakchonak
    That's a fine idea, and I will suggest it, though I'd expect that the hymns will probably get approved by Rome sooner than the rest of the LOTH.
    Thanked by 1RMSawicki
  • Earl Gray:

Ain't no reason they couldn't consider it, except for perhaps time, money, scope of project, etc.

No, I'm not saying that to discourage it, far from it. I'm just saying that it is a big project, but it's a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity which I would love to see many liturgical publishers (CMAA included) get interested in.

Imagine if in 2024/25 or so, one could chose a beautifully-produced four-volume LOTH from CMAA, CBBP, Magnificat, Midwest Theological, EWTN Publishing, USCCB Publishing House, Hillenbrand, Ignatius Press, etc., etc?

I hope and pray for such a happy development!

• Chonak:

Check the Bishop's Conference website's updates. This thing is a lot closer to being done than many folks realize!

Thanked by 1drforjc
  • RMSawicki,
    I was going to say the same, and surely more has been done even since that article. Similarly, with the 2011 Mass translation: once the date was announced, things ramped up quickly and it did indeed happen on schedule.
  • davido
    I see that the hymns were approved by Rome back on May 14. When can we get these texts so that we can begin to set them to music?
    It would be ideal to be able to include these official texts in any forthcoming hymnals.
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • RevAMG
    The November 2019 NewsLetter of the USCCB's Committee on Divine Worship stated (emphasis added):

The Hymns Gray Book will be sent to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments for the requisite confirmation. Because the complete four-volume text of the Liturgy of the Hours is not expected for several years, it is hoped that, once confirmed, the hymns can be published for the immediate study and use of the clergy and faithful.

Therefore, it would seem that the hymns will be published soon since they were approved by Rome on May 14, 2020.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    I am making inquiries.
  • chonakchonak
    Msgr. Andrew Wadsworth of ICEL tells me:
    The USCCB will publish them later this year or early next year with chant and metrical settings and a decree for their immediate use. There will initially be a 12 month moratorium on other settings, but it is envisaged that other settings will be published after that. Permission for the use of the liturgical texts always lies with the Conference of Bishops.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Earl_Grey
  • davido
    Wow, sure seems like they don’t care if anyone uses the stuff. Things don’t change much. But I guess it doesn’t matter since for the foreseeable future churches are closed and/or bishops tell their people they aren’t allowed to sing God’s praises

Thanks for the info Chonak!
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • chonakchonak
    I don't understand davido's complaint. I'd like to have access to the texts now too, but if they come out in print this year, that's faster than usual for new liturgical texts. Is the moratorium on publishing with other melodies the bad part?
  • davido
    ICEL is producing these translations on behalf of the people of God. There has never been an official translation of these official texts (50 years overdue) why do they want to limit their use now? It’s like the USCCB “copyrighting” the Bible! It seems like an attitude of control rather than service and hoarding of something we should be trying to share
  • chonakchonak
    I don't think ICEL wants to limit their use, but it's not their place to decide. As Monsignor wrote, it's always up to the bishops' conference to make decisions about the publication of liturgical texts. In this case, it's USCCB.

If the bishops want these hymns sung with chant melodies and classic hymn tunes, the moratorium can help that happen. Without it, the big publishers can out-market USCCB and steer parishes, priests, and religious orders to sing tunes by those companies' house composers. Sadly the moratorium also impedes good projects such as those being discussed here.

And it does run counter to the intention expressed in the November 2019 newsletter quoted above!
  • Richard R.
    Someone verify this before I query Msgr. W:
    The Gray Book for Sept. 6 (#207) refers me back to Holy Week (#28) for the Vespers hymn Vexilla regis, but I don't find the alternative phrase in verse 6 that I should find for the Exaltation of the Holy Cross ("in hac triumphi gloria"). Am I missing something?
  • chonakchonak
    I didn't know the Gray Book was even available. Can people obtain a copy?
    (Sorry, that's not helpful for your question.)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    It looks like they are still working on other parts of the Liturgy of the Hours. Since they expect all the revisions to be completed at the same time as the liturgical revision of the New American Bible (which I believe is scheduled to be completed in 2025), I think they will wait until it is all complete and publish it all at once.

Until then, the Psalms & Canticles used can be found in the 'Abbey Psalms and Canticles'. In the description of the 'Abbey Psalms and Canticles', it states that
    Prepared by the Benedictine monks of Conception Abbey in Missouri, this translation establishes the definitive form of Psalms and canticles that will gradually appear in official Catholic liturgical books. Among other rituals, future editions of the Liturgy of the Hours and the Lectionary for Mass (both several years from completion) will use this translation. Technically precise, the translation keeps a smooth cadence especially suited to singing and recitation. The texts can also be used for personal study, devotion, and prayer.