Catholiics can't sing.
  • CharlesW
    What does this hogwash have to do with singing? And yes, Catholics can sing, quite well. I hear them every Sunday. They sing if you teach them.

• Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    This is a music forum, you fool. Take the politics elsewhere. We have enough trouble keeping the TLM/NO people separated. Don't need this, too.
  • Rphillips
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    You're not Jesus. Are you even a musician?
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    Maybe you can go sing, "On Eagles Wings" with him, and drown your sorrows in a pint. Hope we don't have to listen.
  • Rphillips
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    I am hearing some of them are "rent-a-kids" who don't even belong to those "parents."

Wish I could play some sad silent film piano music right now. Maybe something where Snidely has tied Pauline to the railroad tracks would be appropriate.

And who is, or is not, a Christian is not up to you to determine. Perhaps a little presumption to go along with your self-righteousness?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    Cardinal Dolan is Irish. Enough said on that.
  • Rphillips
  • Rphillips
  • PaxTecum
    guys.... really?????
  • mmeladirectress
    to the original OP
    "Here's a routine reminder: Avoid flames: critique principles, not people. Be discriminating but don't nitpick. Be academic not acerbic. Be principled not polemical."
  • mmeladirectress
    to the original OP:

"Postings on this forum represent the views of the individual participants and not necessarily those of the Church Music Association of America. (Some participants are not even members.)"
  • CharlesW
    An offended social justice warrior who has run out of whales to save.

CNN? I cancelled cable so I wouldn't have to watch any of those "news" channels.
  • Carol
    Sticking to the title of this discussion. I went to Mass on Saturday evening so I could go to a Presbyterian church with a friend on Sunday morning. It was a service called "Music Sunday." The selections ranged from Faure's "Cantique de Jean Racine" to a Dixieland-ish "Amazing Grace" to a Brahms viola and piano duet. Rutter's " Pie Jesu" sung exquisitely, both in technique and restrained yet emotional interpretation! Only very short bits of Scripture were read in between musical selections. Afterward the pastor said there were "no ringers." The whole assembly sang the Doxology with gusto. All this made me a little bit sad. No real liturgy, no True Presence, but the music was real and wonderful! I am feeling more and more dissatisfied with the state of Catholic church music.

RPhilips, please go to a different forum for politics. I am with Charles W. We have drawn our lines about music and that is bad enough!
  • Rphillips
  • Rphillips
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    You would make a good Southern Baptist.

Nazi: Most of the folks who use that word are too uneducated to have any knowledge of who and what the Nazis were.
  • Rphillips
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    Perhaps you should suggest to Cardinal Dolan that he, too, should become a Southern Baptist.

I was sure he was a Presbyterian.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Well, the first post a least made a token gesture towards General discussion: Music, and it won't be the first or last time things have gone off the rails. It would be a pity to let the final word be
    I am hearing some of them are "rent-a-kids" who don't even belong to those "parents."
    when it's so easy to guess this isn't being heard from Snopes.

• CharlesW
    Yes, one of the problems seems that the authorities can't verify which kids actually belong to which parents. Not true in all cases, I'm sure, but reportedly in some.

Wish I believed Snopes was above reproach, but I don't.

I am also hearing that the law calling for the separation of children was signed during the Clinton administration and I have also heard the date as 1997. It doesn't help that the previous administration was notorious for following laws it liked while disregarding others. In other words, a genuine mess that the Congress needs to fix.

Now what any of this has to do with music or our troll original poster, is beyond me. Maybe someone else can figure it out.
    Thanked by 2Carol Incardination
  • tomjaw
    There seems to be a problem with understanding what Charity is...

It is not Charity, wishing well, the man going for a long walk on a short pier.
    It is also not Charity wishing the money lenders well, when they are selling in the Temple. It is not Charity to wish the woman at the well that it is o.k. to have seven husbands.
    It is not Charity to tell someone what they want to hear, but instead what they need to hear, to be converted to the Lord our God.
    It is not Charity when you are in a lifeboat to keep dragging more people out of the water so that your lifeboat sinks.
  • CharlesW
    And it is far from charity and all reason to enter any country illegally with or without children. In some places it could get you killed or imprisoned at the very least.
  • ...not charity to tell someone what they [sic] want to hear,...
    In the same vein, it isn't charity (or responsible 'ministry') to play shabby music at mass because that is what some people wish to hear.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in...and made me pick your lettuce, waite your table, paint your house and babysit your children while listening to talk of a 'lifeboat'.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I wonder if those 4 year olds have learned their lesson.
  • rogue63
    This is hands down the most entertaining thread in forum history.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Salieri tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Let's all sing number 666, Kum Ba Yah. To enhance the experience, let's hold hands and sway while singing. Peace greetings are appropriate.
  • CharlesW
    I wonder if those 4 year olds have learned their lesson.

Maybe their parents have, or at least the people they arrived with who, in some cases, are not their parents. DHS said that if they went to actual ports of entry and requested asylum, the children would not be separated. Apparently, they are just invading anywhere they please.

Since most of the illegals are from Guatemala, Honduras, and nearby areas, they are using Mexico as a conduit. Taking away all foreign aid to Mexico might encourage them to take control of their borders and stop this. On the other hand, I read that the drug cartels have taken over northern Mexico, so the government may be limited there.
  • SalieriSalieri
    This is hands down the most entertaining thread in forum history.

Well, at least since Alexander Peloquin invaded: https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/9456/adeste-fideles-reharmonization#Item_99
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    Good to see so many Fox News-ists having a good time on this thread.

I told you I cancelled cable. I don't know if Fox is available anywhere else. Let he who has ears, hear, and he who has eyes, see.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I haven't watched network television since I graduated High School (in 2005).

As far as the Fox News ad hominem is concerned, I could easily throw one back at you regarding using the "Clinton News Network" as a source, but I won't.

Also, I tend not to take anyone's political ramblings seriously (whether they wear a red tie or a blue tie) once they use the words "Nazi" or "Communist" unless they are actually talking about the Third Reich or the USSR, so I have no real interest in engaging with you.

I am not saying that this is not a serious topic for discussion, but I will say that (no pun intended) this is not the forum for it: Take it to Facebook or a more generic Catholic forum. I would also suggest that you refrain from attacking those of us who might view things differently, or who might wish to not discuss politics on a Sacred Music Forum.

Personally, while I don't deny that what these poor people are going through is not difficult, and while acknowledging that the law (NB: not 'policy') needs to be changed, the timing of this---after the successful and positive-for-Trump Korea summit---is just too 'perfect'; especially considering that 1) this appears to be a Cinton-era law, and 2) even W, the biggest war-monger of the recent Presidents, is joining the attack on Trump.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    I believe Trump is a Presbyterian. I thought I heard his wife is Catholic. I am Byzantine so I think you're all nuts.

Great idea. Let's send the poor immigrants to YOUR house and let you fund them and keep them up. Put your money where your mouth is. Put up or shut up.

• SalieriSalieri
    I'm from Massachusetts and I voted Johnson/Weld (and don't blame me for Trump, MA went solidly Clinton, and we have an electoral college in this country).

Once you have calmed down and ceased throwing fecal-matter at us like some kind of gorilla with roid rage, we might want to have a discussion; but since you have done nothing but preach politics and berated us, well, all I can say is: have a nice day, and don't let the door hit your dupa on the way out. Pax.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Rphillips
  • CharlesW
    Someone sure missed the medication cart this morning.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Nothing like a little sanctimony with your coffee in the morning...
  • Well, this thread has convinced me of many things. My gratitude to all.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • Salieri,

Really? High school graduation in 2005. You're making me feel OLD.
    (Mind you, my 21 yr old son, getting married next year helps that, too, and my youngest being confirmed this year....)

R Phillips,

I would be willing to continue your conversation off-forum. I want to see how you come to your conclusions. PM me if you're interested in a serious give-and-take session.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions