Sing the Mass (Not Hymns AT the Mass)
  • francis
    http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2017/08/in-heaven-there-is-only-singing.html?m=1

RTS: What might you add to help Catholics who are attached to singing their favorite hymns at Mass, and who might object to the idea of any change?

Father Rutler: In a time of cultural decay, such as ours, the Church has an obligation to preserve and promote the best human achievements, including music, and the visual arts. The Church must convert the barbarians and not be converted by them. Many of the aging “baby-boomers” who resist change, imposed it wantonly on others right after Vatican II. That period of aesthetic destruction may take a long time to repair, but bad music should not be allowed to drive out the good, just as bad money should not be allowed to drive out good money. To deny that there are superior forms of aesthetics is simply to enlist oneself in the ranks of the relativists for who quality is nothing more than opinion. That is not aestheticism; it is narcissism. The astonishing collapse of church attendance in recent decades, cannot be blamed on St. Gregory, Palestrina, and Mozart, and there are many reasons for it other than a defective psychology of worship, but the cloyingly grotesque, pseudo-Christian elevator music in many parishes is not guiltless of the damage
  • Absolutely 100% true.

Now, if hymns are to be sung at Mass, perhaps we could simply require that they only come from Latin liturgical sources, specifically those intended either for Mass or, less ideally, those taken from the Divine Office.

So, the Sequences spring to mind immediately here. They were festive hymns specifically composed for the Mass and sung for many centuries prior to the Council of Trent. Why not bring them back, and have the people sing them, like they used to? These have the benefit of actually being Mass propers at one time in Catholic history, so their restoration would be only natural and "proper" in that regard.

Another lesser alternative might be to draw from the repertory of Office Hymns, translated from Latin into the vernacular, to be sung in those places where the people want to sing additional hymns. They would have the benefit, like Sequences, of being fully expressive of correct doctrine, besides being good poetry and good music. The new English translation of Hymns coming from ICEL, which was introduced at the Colloquium, would be an excellent place to start.

But really, requiring that any and all hymns come from Latin liturgical sources would definitely ensure that no dubious or heterodox ideas were being sung in church. It would also ensure that no horrible or irreverent tunes were heard, either.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • CharlesW
    I think the hymns are here to stay. I remember that hymns were sung before Vatican II, so they are nothing new. All that I think we can realistically do is select the best of the hymns out there.
  • Charles,

I want to move forward, into the future, not get stuck in the bad habits of the past.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I want

• a_f_hawkins
    GIRM 48.
    ... the Entrance Chant may be chosen from ... or another chant ... whose text has been approved by the Conference of Bishops ... [cuius textus a Conferentia Episcopali sit approbatus]
    which also applies to the Communion chant, and presumably to the Offertory (though this is not explicit). Some conferences of bishops have approved hymns, CBCEW has not, the US bishops have been allowed to delegate this to any diocesan bishop (with bad consequences).
    Bugnini (tr. O'Connell p.891) says:
    The entrance and communion antiphons of the Missal were intended to be recited, not sung, and to inspire the creation of suitable songs in the vernacular.
    Some, including contributors to this forum, have risen to the challenge.
  • Liam
    And that's pretty much a dead letter, as it is a rare bishop who wants to ]whitelist music or effectively blacklist music by failing to whitelist music in specific terms. The exceptions remain conspicuously rare. Even under B16, the appetite for taking this on on the part of some Curial staff and officials vastly exceeded the means. Catholics have not had a canonical obligation since 1983 to stick with their territorial parish if they prefer alternatives. A universal widget of sorts.
  • The entrance and communion antiphons of the Missal were intended to be recited, not sung, and to inspire the creation of suitable songs in the vernacular.

He must mean that the newly composed introits and communion antiphons were intended to be spoken.... because ORGANIC development of something which is already sung, in the normative form won't lead to its being spoken or in the mind of some logically replaced.
  • CharlesW
    Not getting the EF and OF calendars in sync has made adapting music from one to the other difficult, sometimes nearly impossible.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • a_f_hawkins
    CGZ, yes the antiphons newly composed in Latin were not to be sung in Latin, because the GR and GS provide sung texts from the tradition (explicitly commended by SC). The vernacular was thought to need new music (or at least major adaptation) because the flow and cadence of English (or Chinese, or .. ) is different from Latin.
    Liam, I have this romantic idea that if the bishops could screw up their courage to exercise the teaching role which the church requires of them, the church might gradually recover from the [illicit] introduction of heretical rubbish into the liturgy. Being realistic I can't see much effect yet in Germany (where they have Gotteslob), and I don't know whether Australia (from where I have seen an approved hymn list) is any better.
    legem credendi lex statuat supplicandi
  • dad29
    if the bishops could screw up their courage to exercise the teaching role which the church requires of them, the church might gradually recover

Unicorns, pixy dust, peace for all!!

They are currently occupied exercising the role of keeping cash-flow positive for Catholic Charities. They are unavailable for other teaching stuff.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Some bishops also heavily engaged in important culture wars. Busy calling for statues to be taken down, that kind of thing.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ah yes, R. E. Lee, the great culture warrior. Around San Francisco churches have been keeping their heads pretty low, so it was something of a surprise for me to drive north for the eclipse and see that Oregon church marquees were without exception variations on "White supremacy is Sin. Say it".

If it's safe yet to return to music, I find it encouraging to see Palestrina and Mozart in the same breath.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sorry to go negative, but it's a bit disheartening to see Catholic bishops publicly embracing DNC talking points and demanding that "racist monuments" be pulled down.

Don't know why I'm surprised since these are the same guys that oversaw the wholesale vandalization of historic Catholic churches in the last 50 years. Hey, these guys have been smashing statues since the 60's, and they threw out all the chant and polyphony, too.

No worries, though. The old, stale iconoclast/modernist status quo can't last forever, and the younger clergy value Catholic tradition---of that I am certain---so better times are ahead if we can just hang in there.
  • Liam
    ?

http://www.usccb.org/news/2017/17-144.cfm

?

Of course, the Catholic church destroyed art (even sacred art) long before the 20th century (e.g., Old St Peter's - a destruction that came with a particularly high price).

But I am curious which Catholic bishops specifically demanded that racist monuments (no scare quotes) be pulled down.

I would note, as someone who lived in Charlottesville while in college starting in the late '70s (a time when Catholics were, if memory serves, in the single digit %% of the overall population of the Diocese of Richmond - my only experience, and it was most interesting, of being in what was a fringe denomination locally) and was horrified by what happened at the University and in downtown C-ville, the issue of two of the monuments in prominent locations in downtown was being addressed by normal civil law processes (a proposal to move them to a larger park north of downtown was stayed pending the resolution of a lawsuit about the law applying to the proposal). And Charlottesville, despite its current image as a liberal college town, had a darker history well within living memory (it was one of the citadels of Virginia's "Massive Resistance" to integration, among many other things) of its longtime residents.

To get back to sacred music, one lesson I learned long ago in the trenches of music ministry was never, ever to assume a person's political views corresponded to what you'd imagine their preferred liturgical/musical praxis likely was.
  • CharlesW
    Some bishops also heavily engaged in important culture wars. Busy calling for statues to be taken down, that kind of thing.

What is so absurdly nutty about all the protesting, is that no one alive suffered what they are protesting. Neither did they benefit from it in anyway. It is ridiculous to judge the past by today's standards. That was a different time, culture, and set of economic conditions. I suspect people who lived then did the best they could under the circumstances - circumstances over which they may not have had much control.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Liam
    "What is so absurdly nutty about all the protesting, is that no one alive suffered what they are protesting."

Quite wrong - the monuments are not just about the Civil War's four years. Jim Crow - and the use of the Lost Cause mythos to reinforce it - was quite within living memory. Indeed, from what I can tell, the mythos is yet alive.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It wasn't the USCCB, Liam. An individual bishop said racist monuments would not be tolerated. My apologies for injecting this into the discussion but it seemed germane considering the tenor of the conversation, in particular this quote from the eminent Fr. Rutler posted above:

In a time of cultural decay, such as ours, the Church has an obligation to preserve and promote the best human achievements, including music, and the visual arts. The Church must convert the barbarians and not be converted by them.

Seems to me that so many church musicians are hampered in their work by modern barbarians---official liturgical/clerical iconoclasts who have for decades effectively blocked any efforts to revive the Church's sacred music heritage.

The current secular rage against America's cultural heritage is merely a reflection of what has been occurring in our churches. Church revolutionaries attempted to destroy traditional Catholic art, music and architecture and erase all collective memory of Catholic tradition; the same is now happening to American culture and history. It's not a healthy trend.
  • Liam
    So it wasn't bishops. (So which one was it, and what specifically did he say?)

And America's cultural heritage includes things that monuments were purpose-designed to elide. I would strongly caution against linking the secular monuments issues too quickly to matters Catholic. (And, to be clear about how I see those issues, I think they are best addressed on a local case-by-case basis, as they can vary considerably.)

One of the more interesting secular liturgical events in Charlottesville was the dusk vigil at the University organized by word of mouth without use of social media on the evening after the funeral of Heather Heyer. It began in the same place (which is, oddly perhaps to outsiders, called Nameless Field) where the white nationalists began their conniving (because they had misled the University about the nature, size and placement of what they really were going to do) march five nights earlier. Instead of a torch-lit march, the much large group of vigilers re-traced the steps of the marchers/shouters, but in candlelit procession with spirituals/hymns/songs replacing the chants of "Jews will not replace us" of five nights earlier. (I could imagine Our Lady of Lourdes giving Mr Jefferson a nudge in the ribs and noting the value of the liturgical impulse he poo-pooed in life.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHZ2nFUUMAEiMYF.jpg
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    If you don't think the hatred of traditional secular statuary isn't linked to Catholic matters, think again:

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2017/08/27/californias-first-catholic-school-removes-catholic-statues/
  • Liam
    Julie

I am quite aware of that case but, as I said, case by case. Just remember, the KKK and many other organizations of a similar spirit in the era in which many monuments went up were murderously anti-Catholic, more so than even current rabid secularists. The telescoping of historical memory operates on both sides of the ledger (in another case of elided historical memory, most people today are unaware of how influential the KKK was in the 1920s on the eastern half of Long Island, one of its redoubts of that era).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. I suspect the rage against statues is not too ideologically motivated; all statues are at risk. This is a nihilistic urge to erase the past, and the iconoclast mob isn't picky about the target.

Case in point: NYC Mayor DeBlasio is currently reviewing the dismantling of iconic Grant's Tomb because President Grant once signed anti-Semitic legislation.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    That would, were it to come to pass, be a case in point (which is remote, given it's under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, and the mayor's response about that was general blather about the city's review process in response to a question from press about the issue raised by a city councilor). But case by case. I think you overstate things much.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I sure hope this iconclast trend runs out of gas soon. Nothing would please me more, but it doesn't help when episcopal virtue-signalling is used to validate the mob.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    But which bishop, and what specifically did he say?
  • dad29
    It should be clear that we are in an age of iconoclasm which began in the mid-1960's and has--if anything--gained momentum in the last few years. That iconoclasm is operative both within the Church and without, in the West and in sub-Saharan Africa. I do not think that Our Lady of Fatima was wrong; the errors we see are those of Russia.

And it is the Communists who are at the center of "antifa", by the way. So while our Bishops should decry racism, they should be as vocal about Communism. Waiting.....waiting....
  • CharlesW
    Quite wrong - the monuments are not just about the Civil War's four years. Jim Crow - and the use of the Lost Cause mythos to reinforce it - was quite within living memory. Indeed, from what I can tell, the mythos is yet alive.

There has always been some racism somewhere in the world. Human nature, I suppose. I can just imagine the Babylonians talking about how barbaric and worthless those people from Ninevah were.

Unfortunately, it appears some of the protesters are not educated well enough to understand what they are protesting. It's a mob running wild. Those monuments are to mark a time, place, and the people involved. Some of these snowflake protesters who are angry at everything, regardless of whether or not it affected them, should be dealt with much more harshly. Then they might grow up.

I read recently of a mob burning a statue of Lincoln over slavery. They were too dumb and stupid to know who Lincoln actually was. Was that in Chicago? If so, it is not a ringing endorsement of the quality of schools there.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    these are the same guys that oversaw the wholesale vandalization of historic Catholic churches in the last 50 years.
    Is this true, Julie? To echo Liam, we can take a look at cases but I myself don't know anyone answering the description. When words like "rage" and "mob" are thrown around I am reminded of my outrage at attempts to equate Heather Heyer with her murderer, and it's hard to meet comparisons between church icons and monuments to the Lost Cause with a tolerant sigh and an eye roll.

To remind you how personal this can get, I and part of the choir were unable to lunch in Berkeley today because of a return visit of neo-nazis who showed up last month with concrete-filled soft drink cans and sucker-punched an acquaintance.

I read recently of a mob burning a statue of Lincoln over slavery
    I can't say what Charles may have read, but it's not that hard to Google some real news before passing on rumor.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Liam
  • CharlesW
    This is what I saw

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Abe-Lincoln-Statue-Burned-on-Chicagos-South-Side-440897443.html

Then a couple of national news outlets and some newspapers picked it up. They may have elaborated on it, who knows? But I wouldn't consider Snopes to be that objective. They have a political agenda, too.

I'm not surprised at anything crazy coming from Berkeley. Seems like a lot of bad stuff starts there.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Exactly. It doesn't say "a mob burning a statue of Lincoln over slavery", does it?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    All over the place (2 links are to the same story) but (still) none say "a mob burning a statue of Lincoln over slavery". All of them say the perpetrators remain unknown; the star of David spray painted on Lincoln's cheek in one of the before pictures is suggestive, though.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Liam
    "Unfortunately, it appears some of the protesters are not educated well enough to understand what they are protesting. It's a mob running wild. Those monuments are to mark a time, place, and the people involved. Some of these snowflake protesters who are angry at everything, regardless of whether or not it affected them, should be dealt with much more harshly. Then they might grow up."

Well, that likewise serves as an interesting additional characterization of the folks protesting to keep the monuments in place in Charlottesville . . . .
  • CharlesW
    Well, that likewise serves as an interesting additional characterization of the folks protesting to keep the monuments in place in Charlottesville . . . .

I have said in other places, that both sides in Charlottesville were little more than thugs. Also, the police failed miserably in doing their jobs by letting that situation get out of control.

All over the place (2 links are to the same story) but (still) none say "a mob burning a statue of Lincoln over slavery".

As I noted several times, I heard the essence of the "mob" report on one of the cable news channels. I watch several of them during the day, so don't remember which one specifically.

If it is any kind of bad report, and is from Chicago, it either did or could have happened. My cousin recently moved from there and has told me that whatever you see on the news, the reality is worse.

Also just saw that students are protesting over the USC mascot, a white horse, as racist. More craziness. Where does it stop? The people in charge need to sit on these protesters and make their little lives miserable.
  • dad29
    It may be that JulieColl is referring to the Bishop of Brooklyn who stated that 'racism is the pre-eminent sin of the Church and our nation.'

Well, that's his opinion.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Makes you wonder what the next "pre-eminent sin" will be after the popularity of racism dies off.
  • Liam
    Well, preeminence has two shades of meaning, one of which encompasses importance in relative order of time - foundational, as it were.
  • dad29
    Richard, it is regrettable that your lunch plans were knocked akimbo by the rioting of the "antifa" (read: Communist) mob in Berkeley.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/08/28/4017751/

At least they are not attacking Catholic churches. Yet.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Well, preeminence has two shades of meaning, one of which encompasses importance in relative order of time - foundational, as it were.

It does. First the press ginned up Russia with little or no foundation in reality. Now it is Confederate "monuments," many of which are historic battlefield markers and memorials to fallen soldiers. They are not monuments or celebrations of the Confederacy. What next?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I've lived in perfect harmony in several multi-racial neighborhoods in the Northeast. My current village is very well integrated, and we all get along with the greatest amity on Main Street and in our churches.

A very nice lady once approached me and asked if I thought she could move onto the block without any negative consequences, and I encouraged her to do so and pointed out the families of her race that lived here already. She was very grateful to know our neighborhood was so welcoming.

This has been generally the case everywhere I've lived but the deep South where I, a white person, felt very unwelcome. It's taken a long time for America to heal from the racial divide, but we have come a long way and are almost there. Having political and Church leaders re-open the wounds and pretend it's circa 1950 again is dangerous and the height of absurdity.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    Julie

Except that wounds have remained open in many places, just being largely ignored.
  • CharlesW
    The worst racists I have ever met were black, not white. Real problem there.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Economic decline and hardship hasn't helped those situations. Higher paying jobs and opportunities for all Americans would help a great deal.

BTW, another case of misdirected statue hate, this time a Revolutionary War Hero, Colonel Crawford: https://twitter.com/WesleyGoodman/status/901131905642487808
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    CharlesW

Count yourself fortunate, then.
  • CharlesW
    Fortunate? Maybe. I live in a "Union" area and my great-great grandfather fought on the Union side. East TN did not support the Confederacy and did everything it could to undermine it. No plantations in this rocky, mountainous area, but a different culture existed and still does.

I can point to a historic black college that is now closed, partly because it didn't want to admit white students. This was at a time when black students were welcomed at state colleges, and at a lower cost. This black college could have admitted some white students but refused to do so as its enrollment dwindled.
  • Higher paying jobs and opportunities for all Americans would help a great deal.

[I live (now) in California, so when I read this I can't help thinking "that's absurd". Since Julie is normally a level-headed person, I'll try not to chew off her head.]

Julie, I don't think higher paying jobs will accomplish much -- or anything, really -- since with an increase in income usually comes an increase in prices ("because the market can handle it"). Mobile homes go for more than a quarter of a million dollars here. An increase in the 'minimum wage' has served merely to put the 'poor' further behind. Government mandates of free every-thing-under-the-sun (because this is California) don't help, either. Neither (to borrow an idea from Pope Leo XIII) is there any necessary strife in inequality of income or any other sort of inequality. Inequality is the natural state of society. ENVY, while very common, is not natural or normal, but only encouraged by those who wish to stir up trouble (whether they're tearing down statues or renaming streets or rendering the language of statutes meaningless).

I'm very pleased that you live in a peaceful neighborhood, unless it is a peacefulness borne of indifference.
  • CharlesW
    I'm not sure you can compare California prices and heavy-handed liberal government to other areas. California is an aberration to the rest of us and our situation is different. Some good-paying opportunities would improve the lot of many a black and white youth.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Not a coincidence that social unrest peaks at the same time that 90 million Americans are out of the work force. Socialism and anarchy thrives on economic misery.

Amityville has been a peaceful place since the 1700's. Don't think it's going to change much----I know the KKK was active on Long Island in the 30's. They tried very hard to block the building of the Seminary, but large influx of Irish and Italians post WWII have dissipated their influence.

(Seminary was closed a few years ago and is now a retreat house. Sad.)
  • Liam
    Julie

And my school district (and my elementary and middle school's boundaries both) included the heavily African-American neighborhood of North Amityville just across the county line, where red-lining had largely ghettoized them. All was not well then, and for a while I had a playmate friend there.

I can still remember a neighbor approaching my mother circa 1970 to sign a petition to boycott local realtors who were showing homes on our lily-white side of the county line to negroes (well, that was the polite word then), and my mother, who had championed integration since her high school days in the late 1930s, asked who those realtors were, so she could hire them when time came to sell our house. (My own neighborhood was largely Irish- and German- Catholic when it arose over former woods and farmland in 1952, and some original residents were somewhat sniffy about the advent of too many Italian-Americans from Da Boroughs a generation later, who in turn felt the same way about the many Salvadorans who arrived another generation later. The original New Englanders who settled in the 18th century would have sniffed at all of them - and, by the 1920s, worse. Those were the days of building parkway bridges low enough to prevent buses of mosaics of city folk from enjoying eastward excursions. Anyway, I can remember that, in my excellent high school, four kids were killed circa 1974 when Mafia-affiliated high school drug dealers targeted non-Mafia drug dealers who were not challenged in the melanin department, shall we say. Drug use knew no class boundary then; the first time I was approached with drugs in the early 1970s, the 12 year old dealer was the child of a very upper middle class architect. Those were the years when our county police would invade homes and rip off wallboard and panelling to find drugs, but this kid's home sat just over the border from their jurisdiction. His county police would instead focus on the black homes just across Rte 110.)
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Vilyanor
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    North Amityville is indeed a different story, but it has been increasingly "gentrified" in the last year or so, along with Wyandanch, in an effort to remove the worst areas so there has been a significant improvement in atmosphere. I dare say you wouldn't recognize old Wyandanch now and Route I10 on North Amityville is on the verge of becoming a hub of upscale commuters. I think they're trying to model themselves on Farmingdale Village which very successfully reinvented itself.

That's not to say that I agree with how the former residents have been treated. The mobile home residents were each given $25K to relocate. Not enough by a long shot.

Thanks for sharing the story about the realtors. Unfortunately, the reverse practice goes on, at least it did several years ago, in lily-white Massapequa Park where a pompous agent once quietly informed us that realtors and businesses there were united in their efforts to keep out "the wrong people".
  • Charles,

My point was not to demonstrate that California is an aberration -- it is in many ways, and neither you nor anyone else needs that demonstrated to you. My point was, rather, to dispute the notion that higher wages would make life more peaceful.