Parish brings back sacred music
  • Carl DCarl D
    I wanted to highlight the great work being done at Mount Carmel parish in Littleton Colorado. Here's a great writeup just published in Denver Catholic, including recordings.

Fantastic beauty being created!

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carl,

Does this go (additionally) under the heading of wonderful priest/pastor/boss?
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • Carl DCarl D
    No question!
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Thanks Carl, and yes, we have an awesome priest/pastor/boss. The best I've ever had. Soon we'll have high quality recordings for sale to boost the music department. The mass is for anyone who wants it.
  • Carl DCarl D
    You guys are doing amazing stuff!
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Carl, one of the reasons for editing that chant the way we did was to create a version of Victoria's Salve Regina with as close to "authentic" chant as possible. In every rendition of that particular piece I've seen they use the modern Roman Salve Regina. Now, wouldn't Victoria have used the Salve Regina most common to Spain at the time? That's the assumption but perhaps I'm completely wrong. In any case, here's the editions that were made for that purpose, of course, they are free to use by anyone.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm a bit confused by the thread title ;-) I recently uploaded a Spanish Salve to Gregobase; it's a pretty clumsy transcription in comparison to Cantus67's. Cpdl has a page for the Victoria here in case a wider audience is sought.
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Richard, the title came from the Denver Catholic article. There was a little bit of confusion regarding what actually happens at OLMC in Littleton. We have a chant/polyphony/hymns program that is very much rooted in many polyphonic masters, Palestrina, Victoria, Byrd, Hassler, Dufay, Josquin, Sheppard, Parsons, etc...... And it keeps on getting better now that we have the newly composed mass of Our Lady of Mount Carmel by J. Lee Graham.