Who Can Sing in the Choir?
  • chonakchonak
    We do have moderators here to deal with questions of appropriate content for the forum, and the first guidance about content is in the Forum Etiquette Rules (see link in the right column on the main page).

Users with concerns about someone else's posting can contact any of us (me, G, Adam Bartlett, Aristotle Esguerra, AOZ, Jeffrey Tucker). JT's the final authority as Publications Director.

So if you're feeling censorious, there's a process you can use.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Thanks, Chonak. I wasn't aware there were so many mods, maybe because I'm looking at the forum on my iPhone 95% of the time.
    Good to know, and I'm sure it's time for me to refresh my understanding of forum etiquette rules.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Slowly but surely, she turns them away with her terrible attitude. It is an unfortunate situation, but nobody dares to complain.

And why not? Is it not your responsibility to do so?
  • canadashcanadash
    Slowly but surely, she turns them away with her terrible attitude. It is an unfortunate situation, but nobody dares to complain.

CC is right. Would the choir not be better without her if it came to that? We've lost good choiristers... it wasn't the end of the choir. This situation sounds awful.
  • chonakchonak
    It may be hard to prove this kind of bad behavior. People can deny it.

It might be necessary to make your own "paper trail" of events over the next year or so, to demonstrate what's happening.
  • Theo
    And why not? Is it not your responsibility to do so?

Please see my last post on page 2 of this thread.

CC is right. Would the choir not be better without her if it came to that?

The situation is not that simple. They are in a co-dependent relationship. Neither of them would want to leave because they won't find another church that pays so well. She brings in a big donation from a third party every year for the music program. He needs a place to stay over on Saturdays; her apartment is close by. In return, she gets many more solos/weddings/funerals than other professional choir members. It's all too complicated.

This is another reason why all of us long-time choir members can't do anything. We don't want the choir to collapse completely.
  • canadashcanadash
    I'm sorry. Prayers.
  • Theo
    Yes, I feel sorry, too. The last of the young women has left the choir this summer.
  • chonakchonak
    "We don't want the choir to collapse completely."

It sounds like you can't expect the problem to be solved under the current director, going by your description of the situation.

Idea: can the sane members of the choir be of service outside of the parish? Sing at nursing homes, etc.? It would be good to have a more positive experience of working and singing together, and applying the abilities of the members.
  • Theo
    Yes, the sane members of the choir can sing outside of the parish. In fact, I think one or two of them do. Most of us are parishioners and have time for only one choral group. We also realize that our choir may be the only semi-professional choir in town that prepares a different Mass setting and two anthems every Sunday. So we, the older crowd, stay on.
  • They are in a co-dependent relationship. Neither of them would want to leave because they won't find another church that pays so well. She brings in a big donation from a third party every year for the music program. He needs a place to stay over on Saturdays; her apartment is close by. In return, she gets many more solos/weddings/funerals than other professional choir members. It's all too complicated.

So this is a reason not to stand up for what is right? Let them continue to poison things, creating a toxic environment...
  • Whether or not a singer is Catholic shouldn't make a difference, but they should be familiar with the Catholic liturgy and not depend on the director to coddle them through the entire mass. I had that experience this morning. My regular cantor cancelled and I had to find another one at the last minute. I found a beautiful soprano who sang like an angel, but had to be guided through every aspect of the mass, making it very hard for me to concentrate on playing. And, a psalm that is sung with the music as first importance, rather than the lyric, is just wrong. At the very least, whether your singers are Catholic or not, they should familiarize themselves enough with the music to be able to pray it, rather than just sing it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Theo, just out of curiosity and not veiled criticism, what is the rationale for preparing a different Ordinary setting for every Sunday? Is this akin to the Msgr. Schuler programming? How does the congregation figure into such a schema?
  • Theo
    At the very least, whether your singers are Catholic or not, they should familiarize themselves enough with the music to be able to pray it, rather than just sing it.

For non-Catholic choir members, they should be able to catch on by following their peers. For non-Catholic cantors, it's a matter of experience. What makes a Catholic Mass more challenging than a Protestant service is that most Catholic churches do not print a worship program. In the rare cases where there is a worship leaflet, it includes the citation of music and readings, but not the actual passages, the prayers, or other spoken cues. A cantor (or organist) new to the Catholic Mass must pay extra attention to sing/play the right item at the right time.
  • Theo
    just out of curiosity and not veiled criticism, what is the rationale for preparing a different Ordinary setting for every Sunday? Is this akin to the Msgr. Schuler programming? How does the congregation figure into such a schema?

I'm not familiar with the Msgr. Schuler programming. Please give me a quick overview if you can. In my town, a good number of churches program a different Mass Ordinary every Sunday at the principal Mass with choir. The more elaborate music suits the solemn character, which is often augmented by the use of incense and a longer procession. These Ordinary settings are choral settings, not congregational settings. People who attend the choir Mass stand and listen while the Mass parts are sung. Another reason for using the choral Mass settings is that there is such a vast literature over the centuries. It's good to draw on that part of our culture when churches have the resources to do it. As far as I know, some people love to hear a different setting every week. Some people are indifferent. Some don't like it because it feels like going to a concert. At the other Masses, congregational settings are used but most people don't sing (not uncommon in Catholic churches).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen R J Stove
  • The late Msgr. Schuler was pastor of St. Agnes' Church in St. Paul, Minnesota, and the church was and is known for its High Masses with choral/orchestral settings.

http://www.stagnes.net/music.html
    Thanked by 1Theo
  • Theo
    So this is a reason not to stand up for what is right? Let them continue to poison things, creating a toxic environment...

This will end when we the long-time volunteers are too old to sing. This will happen gradually over the next 5-10 years. Or when the choir director or the soprano section leader decides to leave. That depends on how the church wants to finance the music program. If neither of them wants to leave, we the outsiders can't do anything. We can't force them to resign, nor can anyone ask the church to fire them. So we try to be as civil as possible. Just too bad we can never attract a younger crowd to join us.
  • chonakchonak
    When you wrote:
    nobody wants them to get fired

that really tells it all: this is not a serious problem as far as the choir members are concerned. They may lament it, but they don't consider it bad enough to call for a painful change and separate themselves from the situation. People who did consider it unacceptable have taken action by quitting or speaking out; they're gone, and that leaves the compliant ones in the group.

I think this particular local issue has been covered enough here on the forum, OK?
  • Theo
    I think this particular local issue has been covered enough here on the forum, OK?

Sounds good to me, Chonak.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Sounds great to me, too, Chonak. I continue to be unnerved by threads that start out with a simple question and meander into something quite different.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, questions about personal opinions and experiences tend to have digressions; it happens so often that I don't try to stop them. Also, such questions tend to be of broader scope than questions about objective facts and interpretations, so it's hard to say what is off-topic or on-topic.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • marajoymarajoy
    Some people get their panties in way too much of a bunch over the reality of how human conversation works, as if in surprise that a similar thing would happen on the internet.
    Thanked by 1Gavin