Who Can Sing in the Choir?
  • dad29
    Recently heard a story which was ........interesting.

Seems that an (RC) choir director would not allow non-Catholics to sing in his (Catholic) church choir.

I'm aware that flagrant public sinners are not to hold positions (e.g. music director) in Catholic churches, for the obvious reasons--and there is Canon law to support that.

But a non-Catholic, ipso facto?

Discuss.
  • CharlesW
    Seems a bit ridiculous to me. I welcome all, and consider it a good way to evangelize. YMMV.

Must be nice to be able to be that exclusive. I haven't found that Catholics are beating down the doors to get into choirs.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Stupid.

I have Catholics, non-Catholics, and a few entirely hostile to organized religion.

Music heals.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Most of my choir is non-Catholic.
    (Of course, I work at an Episcopal parish...)
  • dad29
    a good way to evangelize

Pretty much the way I thought of it, too.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • canadashcanadash
    A new soprano asked to join my choir last year. She had a wonderful voice and was a good reader too. There was no way I was sending her to the Anglican Church down the road! And now she's learning about the faith. PTL she wanted to come!
  • BenBen
    Fr. Z was a non-Catholic when he began to sing in the choir at St. Agnes in St. Paul. Look where he is now.

As long as they're not disrupting the prayerfulness of the choir, I don't see why not.
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • Maybe we should let non-Catholics be altar boys or Eucharistic ministers. I mean, it might help evangelize, right?

Or is there something about the liturgical nature of those positions that simply makes them unsuitable for a non-Catholic, regardless of his ability and willingness to help? It seems like one might reasonably ask why the music at Mass is such so non-integral to the sacred liturgical action that we would entertain willingly the idea of non-Catholics horning in on the show. Pius X thought that "singers in church have a real liturgical office"; was he wrong?
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • chonakchonak
    A fair point, and we can look at the norms for ecumenical activity as a model for guidance in this area. It is permissible to let a non-Catholic present an Old Testament or Epistle reading at Mass; the involvement of a non-Catholic singer presenting the Responsorial Psalm should be treated the same way.

• ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    This topic is less of a concern in Catholic schools. As many of you may realize, there are many non-Catholics in the Catholic school system. These children are of course just as capable of performing the duties assigned to them as their Catholic counterparts. However, if I'm correct, they cannot serve at Mass (vested server positions) if they or their families are not Catholic. In the schools, we welcome everyone, especially for music.
  • CharlesW
    Maybe we should let non-Catholics be altar boys or Eucharistic ministers. I mean, it might help evangelize, right?

Where have you been, Rip van Winkle? The whole world has changed - maybe not always for the better, but it has changed. Let's move into the current century. Altar boys are often girls. My choir, before Vatican II, was a male choir, only. There was a time when some of these positions were semi-clerical, even ordained. That hasn't been true for many years in the western Church. I remember that being an altar boy was a rather high status position, and boys were honored to be chosen for that role. It seems the girls now outnumber the boys two to one. I look down from the loft waiting for the procession to form, and hope any of them even bothered to show up.
    Thanked by 2Gavin ClergetKubisz
  • dad29
    Pius X thought that "singers in church have a real liturgical office"; was he wrong?

Do you have context for that quotation? "In choir" usually meant formal clerical status in those days, which is NOT the same as lay people who sing in church choirs these days.

There's no question that 'singers....have a liturgical office'. The question is whether St Pius X was referring to clerics or laypeople.
    Thanked by 2Liam Ryan Murphy
  • Priestboi
    I don't think it matters really provided non-catholics take the time to get aquainted with liturgical processes and underlying spirituality of the music they are singing. Directors should be free to consult their own consciences about it - if they don't want them then invite them to join another parish. It is not something to split hairs over. Besides USA is democratic, right? ;) I do however think that psalmists or cantors should be catholic.
  • expeditus1
    What about non-Catholic organists who accompany the liturgical action? Are faith restrictions binding upon singers only?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I was a thoroughly unchurched, know-it-all 18 year old bassist when I walked into Oakland's cathedral in 1970. I was baptized, confirmed and communicated two Easter's later and have never once considered unembracing my love for the Church and her liturgy.
    I continue to wonder about the ever shrinking myopia exhibited here and elsewhere from all perspectives that is manifested by topics and opinions that have nothing to do with either of the pro multis definitions, but more to do with the mistaken notion of "smaller, purer."
    Cherry on the top? Here's one: I wonder if the RC litmus test is stringently applied to all the fortunate cathedrals and parishes who can afford paid ringers (section leaders, scholars, whatever) as well as organists/choir masters?
    Can we ever dispense with the circular firing squad debate setup?
  • CharlesW
    And, do Catholic organists bring a degree of sanctity to the separated brethren for whom they work? Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)
    This is my personal opinion and I don't pretend that it has the force of law or is based upon the law. I have always felt that the DIRECTOR OF MUSIC or ORGANIST should be Catholic, and practicing. Anyone else need not be. But the paid director, associate, organist, whatever, yes, because - and I know this is a dirty word to some here - but because they really ARE lay ministers. To me, a non - Catholic DOM is akin to a non-Catholic pastor.

Now as for paid singers, etc., again, I don't think it's important they be Catholic.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PGA, for clarification, I never said anything about DM's, I said clearly "choir masters." There's a difference. And I know of an organists who faithfully executed their duties over decades and well into adulthood made the same decision as I as a young adult.
    I hope you didn't miss the forest of my point for the tree of its exemplars.

And as an addendum about BEING lay ministers, out of curiosity:
    How many of us have witnessed a truly formal commissioning of parish musicians as are provided RE instructors, EMHC's, lectors etc.?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
    Well, I've always thought that "choir master" is another way of saying "Choir Director/DOM/etc." I've always thought that it was simply a more colloquial or formal way of saying it (more Anglican?).

You are right on about who is "commissioned" more as ministers in a formal way. But the Church, evidenced by the USCCB statements about lay ministry, defines lay ministry, PROFESSIONAL lay ministry, in a more formal way. They do NOT call EMHC's, lectors, etc. lay ministers. They have real criteria, and it makes for a quasi-clerical state, which we can debate if that is a good or bad thing. But the criteria involves degrees, certifications, whether you make your living as a "minister," etc. I believe certain officials in Rome have chimed in on it too and supported the USCCB view, but I'm hard pressed to do the research to provide quotes and dates.
  • A fair point, and we can look at the norms for ecumenical activity as a model for guidance in this area. It is permissible to let a non-Catholic present an Old Testament or Epistle reading at Mass; the involvement of a non-Catholic singer presenting the Responsorial Psalm should be treated the same way.

Right, we were in agreement about that some three years ago. Since it requires the permission of the ordinary, are you proposing that the ordinary's permission also be required for a non-Catholic to sing in the choir?

Do you have context for that quotation? "In choir" usually meant formal clerical status in those days, which is NOT the same as lay people who sing in church choirs these days.

There's no question that 'singers....have a liturgical office'. The question is whether St Pius X was referring to clerics or laypeople.

The quotation is from the 1903 motu proprio. Although it is a surprisingly widespread modern misconception that somehow he was referring only to clerics sitting "in choir" in the sanctuary, he did not mean it that way, and people in 1903 did not understand it that way (which was why it was so controversial that he restricted participation in the choir to men). This explains, for instance, his observation that "whenever . . . it is desired to employ the acute voices of sopranos and contraltos, these parts must be taken by boys." If it were actually possible to use women for these parts provided they were mere seated outside the sanctuary, then that would make a liar of Pius and obviate the whole point of this remark.
  • Liam
    Except that Pius X's restrictions in that regard were pretty much a dead letter from the get-go. That's part of the context, too. FWIW.
  • Jani
    So...if non-Catholics shouldn't sing in our choirs, perhaps Catholics ought not hire out to other faiths? (Adam, et al) And what of those people who write the music we sing, like Marty Haugen? (No doubt he's been "exposed" to the Faith long enough- I doubt he'll ever convert.)

Perhaps I myself have broken some unwritten rule by snagging any of my non-Catholic piano player friends to help us out on occasion.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Music Director is in charge of (among many other things) selecting repertoire. This person should be a Catholic.

The Choir Master is in charge of flapping arms, and the Organist is in charge of pushing buttons (with either hands or feet). As long as they are good at arm flapping and foot-button-pushing, it seems that these people can be of most any persuasion. Although, I should think that, if two equally good candidates were available and desirous of the position, deference should be shown to the Catholic.

Assuming you are not talking about a vested sanctuary choir in the context of a Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form, the singers' jobs are to cant the chant (this requires more skill than arm-flapping, but less than foot-button-pushing), and this too can be done by non-Catholics and (GHAST!) even women.

Obviously the rep-picker, arm-flapper, foot-button-pusher, and chant-canter may be the same person, in which case the qualifications are summed. (Note: arm-flapping should only be done while facing the chant-canters. No arm-flapping chant-canter should flap arms while canting chant in the direction of The Gather Assembly. No philosophical restrictions are needed on the flapping of arms of foot-button-pushing arm-flappers, as their arms are usually otherwise engaged, and also typically hidden behind the box-of-foot-and-hand-buttons.)
  • expeditus1
    Boy, I thought that this thread was going to combust, implode, detonate, and incinerate.....until I read your post, Adam. Big smile!
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood francis
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    like Marty Haugen? (No doubt he's been "exposed" to the Faith long enough-

I should think vice-versa is also true, yes?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, here is a poem I once wrote about why I can only do some of the job descriptions mentioned above:

ON THE ORGAN

I'm not very good at the keyboard, I know
    I play things too loud, I play things too slow.
    But there's one thing of all where I'm quite incomplete:
    I have no skills for playing old hymns with my feet.

https://github.com/adammichaelwood/adam.michael.wood_writing/tree/master/poems
  • Kathy
    I think this thread is weirdly focused on the musicians themselves, rather than on the people they serve. What do people need? Arm flappers, or faith-filled servants?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What do people need? Arm flappers, or faith-filled servants?

Why not both?
  • Kathy
    Ok. Why not?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    How many of us have witnessed a truly formal commissioning of parish musicians as are provided RE instructors, EMHC's, lectors etc.?

We commission all of our lay ministers at the same time. Granted there aren't many, but we do, and Father makes sure the musicians are included.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    This explains, for instance, his observation that "whenever . . . it is desired to employ the acute voices of sopranos and contraltos, these parts must be taken by boys." If it were actually possible to use women for these parts provided they were mere seated outside the sanctuary, then that would make a liar of Pius and obviate the whole point of this remark.

Yah, but that ended with Pius XII's "Christmas Letter" (1955??) which clarified that "church choirs" could include women, so long as they were not in the sanctuary.

That ruling happens to be the Canonical foundation for "altar girls," because both church choirs (as we view them today) and altar servers are NOT "ministers" in the sense that Pius X meant. IOW, "altar servers" are not, technically, clerics, nor are choir singers.
  • francis
    Wanted: Catholic Arm Flappers. Must be able to lift arm perpendicular to the floor, then slowly descend to an inviting 45 degree angle, magically engaging the congregation in a full participatory cantillation. Non-Catholics need not apply.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Chrism
    Here's an example where I don't let other people's violation of the law bother me, and occasionally I invite non-Catholics to sing feeling motivated by the salvation of souls - the supreme Law of the Church. Many of the non-Catholic singers are for all public purposes good Catholics - they attend Mass regularly, profess the faith, support the Church, help the needy, etc., they just don't go to Communion.

However, there is no right for non-Catholics to sing. Tension develops when the non-Catholic acts like an ordinary non-Catholic and other people see...

Oh wait, the example I was thinking of was a Catholic at another parish acting like an ordinary non-Catholic. Now I'm confused and somewhat off-topic. Good place to stop.
  • GavinGavin
    "What do people need? Arm flappers, or faith-filled servants?"

Arm flappers. Why the personal faith of the music director makes any impact upon the success of the liturgy is completely beyond me.

Having worked for many denominations and traditions, what I like best about Catholicism is that it's all spelled out. There are no options, no wiggle room. Graduale Romanum. Full stop. Open to the proper day, bookmark the Kyriale, and go! Among Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans, there is NO such clear musical direction; it's a matter of the tastes of the musician and the parish.

There are too many bad Catholic musicians making bad music because bad priests won't hire a good protestant. All the good Catholic music programs I've run across have been either run by protestants or Catholic musicians with significant protestant influence. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest (more-than-half-humorously) that protestants ought to be preferred, as they do not have influence of the foul culture of mediocrity and bad taste that constitutes Catholic culture of today.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    what I like best about Catholicism is that it's all spelled out. There are no options, no wiggle room. Graduale Romanum. Full stop. Open to the proper day, bookmark the Kyriale, and go!

Would that it were so.
    Thanked by 1Philothea
  • GavinGavin
    Yes, but even outside of that, the strictures are very well spelled out. It's hard to screw up Catholic music - even though so many are very very talented at doing so.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is true. And at least in a Catholic parish, if something is ridiculous and stupid you have some grounds to stand on, "Look- right here- that isn't how this is supposed to be done."

In a Protestant setting, you have:
    -Prayer Books with vague and incomplete instructions
    -A tradition/habit of ignoring even the limited instructions.
    Maybe we should also take to hiring protestant ministers to teach and preach - and why not say mass and be pastors? As long as they TEACH the right things - who cares if they personally believe it? After all, many are better teachers and preachers than Catholic priests ...
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • chonakchonak
    There are cases and there are cases. I'd want cantors who sing the text of the liturgy, including the psalm, to be Catholics usually and Christians always. It's troubling to be at a church with good music and sound preaching and remember that the cantor is a Unitarian or even an unbaptized person. The people I'm thinking of are fine, reverent people, but this is a liturgical ministry, so there is a sacral character to it.
  • It's funny to read this post as I sit at my office putting together Propers (with some help from the lovely people on this forum) for the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi coming up October 4th.

I can see both sides of the debate for the most part. It comes down to resources available in my humble opinion. I happen to be the new DOSL (Director of Sacred Liturgy) at my new assignment. It is completely different having "arm flappers" and "hand and foot button pushers". I have one button pusher who is not Catholic, but he is very professional. I have one that's a "nominal Catholic" and one who comes from the "Glory and Praise" tradition.

I myself am a convert with 6 years experience in Catholic Liturgy. I blame my college education in Sacred Music for half of my conversion, and since I learned so much about a faith I would "never work for", I found some interesting things happening with liturgy at my first parish. Thank God for good and holy priests who sought the reform of the reform and got me plugged in with free internet resources here and ccwatershed.

Most, if not all of the reason why I was employed above the residential "arm flappers" in my current assignment is because, according to my current employer, I was "the only Catholic musician in the area with any passion for the liturgy at all".

My Sacred Music Prof in college was the only individual I know that had a passion for the liturgy, but wasn't a Catholic. I obviously became Catholic, and I have several friends who admire the liturgy, but want nothing (at this point in time) to be Catholic. It truly is an interesting era that we live in.

I personally welcome any and all (in the spirit of Evangelization) to sing in our choirs so long as they are not disruptive or disrespectful. We always need the voices, and it's a very special opportunity to teach the faith.
  • marajoymarajoy
    This topic actually doesn't bother me - I can also see both sides, but personally I don't really have a problem hiring people (or allowing volunteers, but this has never happened) who aren't Catholic to sing in the choir.
    In fact, one year for Easter morning I hired a couple singers, and one was a very Jewish-looking man, complete with a large beard, and he sang the Psalm from up front. While it was slightly wrong, it also seemed... strangely right.
  • BruceL
    Although I don't see a problem with non-Catholics in a choir (in fact, we have a few and I wouldn't give them up!), isn't there a citation in STTL or one of the Vatican documents that restricts cantor and lector roles to Catholics only?
  • canadashcanadash
    I personally welcome any and all (in the spirit of Evangelization) to sing in our choirs so long as they are not disruptive or disrespectful. We always need the voices, and it's a very special opportunity to teach the faith.

This.

But I do understand peoples' hesitation too. If the person is a member of the choir and understands that the Eucharist is for those in full Communion in the church, if they also understand that they are not there to change anything, I am alright with it. The young lady we have is an asset as far as I can see. If it changes, I'll have to speak with her.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Theo
    In the choir that I sing, it is the age and relationship status that determine who get to stay in the soprano and alto sections. The soprano section leader has been in love with the conductor for more than 20 years. He is not interested in an exclusive relationship with her and was known to date other choir members. The soprano section leader is therefore very wary of sopranos and altos who are single and under age 50. Slowly but surely, she turns them away with her terrible attitude. It is an unfortunate situation, but nobody dares to complain.
  • Theo, what a soprano horror story! It sounds like that choir could use a youth program- and a new director. Just eeeeewwww.
  • Theo
    There aren't enough children and teenagers around to form a youth program. I was talking about single women in their 20s and 30s who were turned away. It is unlikely for the church to get a new choir director because he is very good with his music. People seem to turn a blind eye to the situation. Currently, there is no choir member under age 50 except for two paid men.
  • Wow. Good for you to stick it out, if that's what you've discerned.
    You describe a ridiculous situation indeed!

The big publishers, or the ignorant pastor, or the wayward sheep are often blamed for poor music in parishes. They can and do contribute to stagnation, or worse. But, there are many cases where the situation is not getting better, in large measure its because of musicians themselves.
  • Is the pastor aware of this?
    He should set her straight or you should invite her to consider another ministry.
    It's beyond pitiful that people know of this and turn a blind eye to it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Agreed that you describe a very dysfunctional situation, Theo.

The pastor should probably be made aware of the relationship, "I think I know why, at least in part, our choir is not growing, and I'm concerned...". He may well want to meet with the soprano (volunteer? paid?) and the choir director (volunteer? paid?). It's totally inappropriate, volunteer or paid, and their relationship (and other relationships he has had with his choir members?) may well be sabotaging the parish choir.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Chrism
    It's troubling to be at a church with good music and sound preaching and remember that the cantor is a Unitarian or even an unbaptized person.

True, and I would add to this the Catholic cantors who openly commit objectively mortal sins, or situationally mortal sins like detraction, without repentance.

But what is troubling and frankly terrifying for me in these situations is the human ability to justify ourselves when we act at variance with orthodox doctrine, even when we willingly expose ourselves to the preaching and praxis of that doctrine. What am I justifying, in my life, when I approach the altar or lectern or music stand?
  • CharlesW
    I can't conceive of any music director dating choir members. I know that comes from my years of teaching school, but it would seem to me almost like dating students - forbidden, period. At the very least, it seems like asking for trouble.
    Thanked by 1Chrism