EF in vernacular?
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As well it should.
  • CharlesW
    But only for the west. It isn't in the Creed used by eastern Catholics, and the Vatican has approved it.
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    Filioque was a huge source of misunderstanding, and added fuel to the east/west battles, since neither side wanted to understand the other. When you understand what the Latins meant, it isn't a problem. Unfortunately, so a Greek priest has said, when you translate filioque into Greek, you get a word that implies the Son originated from the Father - dear old Arius lives again. But given the purpose for which filioque was put into the Latin Creed to begin with, there probably is little purpose in it remaining there today.
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    Some rites have used it in the past, especially those with more Latin leanings. Others have either dropped it, or never had it. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it is still in some books.
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    What I read says that the Pope accepted filioque in the 11th century. By that time, both sides were looking for differences to battle about and to justify their respective positions on other matters, some political. Certainly, filioque was around much earlier. Supposedly, St. Maximos said that when the Latins say filioque, they mean "and through the Son."
  • CharlesW
    Yes, it was admitted late. Filioque was never in the original Greek Creed, and still isn't.
  • chonakchonak
    In what appears to be an ecumenical gesture, Roman-rite Catholics in Greece use the Creed in Greek, in the original version which does not include the "filioque".

Incidentally, on the plane to Colloquiumville, I just read James Likoudis' book on healing the Catholic-Orthodox divide ("Ending the Byzantine Greek Schism"), and recommend it. In the book he presents a lot of material indicating the doctrinal importance and value of the "filioque". St. Thomas even shows that a correct understanding of the Trinitarian processions has implications for a correct understanding of the Petrine primacy.
    Thanked by 2MHI CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    some political.

All political, if you ask me.

Pippinid Kings: "We're King of the Romans! This is the Holy Roman Empire!"
    Roman Emperors in Constantinople: "What?! No! We're the Roman Empire. You can't.."
    Popes of Rome: "We're goin' with these guys over here."
    Roman Emperors in Constantinople: "Dude?! Really!"
    Popes of Rome: "Excommunication for you!"
    Patriarchs of everywhere that isn't Rome: "No! Excommunication for you!"
    Pippinid Kings: "Hurrah for Lay Investiture!"

That's how I understand it, anyway.
  • CharlesW
    I noticed that at a service with the Ecumenical Patriarch, Pope John Paul II dropped filioque from the recited creed. Filioque is not the issue that it used to be, and both sides understand each other's position better today, I think, But there are still some holdouts. There are more serious differences between the churches than filioque.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    Makes sense.
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Based on my current understanding, I prefer the OF lectionary to the EF one.
    But I'll go read as much of the Una Voce Position Paper 15 as I have time for.
    I'll "prayerfully reflect" about it.
    And then I'll come back with all sorts of new rhetorical ammunition.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    What about the EF in Greek?
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Ok- I read it.

Makes some worthwhile points, which - overall - are similar to all the points that could be made in favor of the older rite over the newer in general. Nothing remarkably new here for me.

I do have a few thoughts, not cohered into a single train:

1. While I have lots of opinions on these matters, they are just that: opinions. I don't make decisions, so I don't know that it matters much what I think. Moreover, I can't say that my opinions regarding the EF Lectionary are even very valuable as opinions, since I have not lived with the EF Lectionary. A cycle of prayer only reveals its benefits when lived over a period of time. I have no such experience with the EF Lectionary; but plenty with the OF.

2. The relative value of the OF vs. EF lectionaries as lived experiences is something we can't ever gauge, as there is no way to control for other factors: the rest of the liturgical experience, the type of people generally devoted to the EF, the quality of preaching, etc.

3. Like most everything else related to the post-V2 liturgical reforms, my general feeling is that the best thing (if it could be called that) lies somewhere between what existed already (and was considered in need of reform) and what ended up happening. It's a shame (in my opinion) that the old rite is essentially "frozen" in 1962, as it seems to me that some reforms (rather than wholesale re-creation) would probably have had a better result. In terms of the Lectionary- I can imagine a 1-year cycle that starts with the old lectionary but adds an additional (usually Old Testament) reading. This would have gone a long way to fulfilling SC's desire for more scripture, without disrupting the rhythm of the year.

4. The paper makes a strong case for lay involvement in the Liturgy of the Hours. I wholly agree with this.

5. The paper makes a distinction between the dogmatic (that is, teaching) function of lections and their latreutic (praise-oriented) function, arguing that the purpose of reading scripture in Mass is essentially "verbal incense," as opposed to the teaching/edification of the faithful. I wholly disagree with this view. Moreover, I think it's a bad argument for the EF cycle, since:
    (A) If the edification of the listeners is not the point, the rest of the argument - which essentially deals with the EF lectionary is more edifying - is moot.
    (B) It seems clear to me that the ancient framers of the Latin liturgy during the first millenium or so were very concerned with the edification of the listeners.
    (C) Based on my (yes, weak) understanding of cultic practices in other formal religions, I suspect any latruetic recitation of scripture would tend toward completeness rather than curation.

6. And, of course, you can't hardly talk about the lectionary without also talking about the calendar, and the general flattening of the year....

Bottom Line (of my opinion):
    If the Ordinary Form lectionary is deficient (and all things are, really) I don't think it's deficiency lies in the fact that it adds Old Testament readings (+Psalm) to the Gospel. I think that's it's best quality.
    Thanked by 2MHI Heath
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (facetious).

Are you sure? :)
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I can't say that my opinions regarding the EF Lectionary are even very valuable as opinions, since I have not lived with the EF Lectionary. A cycle of prayer only reveals its benefits when lived over a period of time. I have no such experience with the EF Lectionary
    ... which is why I won't even begin to try to frame opinions and expound upon them here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Oh but what fun is it if you only expound on VALID opinions?
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • Blaise
    Alrighty, everyone gets a chance to derail one thread, and I think this is my turn. :) While we are on the topic of the filioque, it should be noted that even up until the 1600s were the Latins and Eastern Orthodox (and yes, I do mean EO proper, not Byzantine Catholics) receiving Holy Communion from the other church, even after their formal split.
  • CharlesW
    In some places, they still do. It just isn't talked about.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    it should be noted that even up until the 1600s were the Latins and Eastern Orthodox (and yes, I do mean EO proper, not Byzantine Catholics) receiving Holy Communion from the other church, even after their formal split.

Well- someone would have had to tell them that there was a split. It's not like everyone followed the Pope on Twitter back then.
  • chonakchonak
    Likoudis mentions this in his book. It was a slow-motion split. Even in the 1700s, Latin missionaries in the East were accepting Eastern Orthodox bishops as their ordinaries, while working for reconciliation.
  • Heath
    3. Like most everything else related to the post-V2 liturgical reforms, my general feeling is that the best thing (if it could be called that) lies somewhere between what existed already (and was considered in need of reform) and what ended up happening. It's a shame (in my opinion) that the old rite is essentially "frozen" in 1962, as it seems to me that some reforms (rather than wholesale re-creation) would probably have had a better result. In terms of the Lectionary- I can imagine a 1-year cycle that starts with the old lectionary but adds an additional (usually Old Testament) reading. This would have gone a long way to fulfilling SC's desire for more scripture, without disrupting the rhythm of the year.

I agree with so much of this; well put, Adam.

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Heath-
    Thanks! But of course, don't forget:
    I don't make decisions, so I don't know that it matters much what I think.