EF in vernacular?
  • MHIMHI
  • Forsooth, I would not! It seemeth, though, to me, that those who go through our educational system (even to becoming PhDs) and can, then, be expected to have learned to read and comprehend, not mere Cranmer, but Shakespeare, and not mere Shakespeare, but Chaucer, and much else that (presumably) educated educated people are literate about. It is not far fetched to entertain that such folk should immediately make sense of a randomly chosen sentence from of, of all things, the BCP. (I, too, am often facetious, but not in this.)
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    The new missal translation is a big improvement. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess. English is capable of all the grandeur of any other language. If one disapproves of more recent translations, blame the translators, not the language.

Old Church Slavonic: Still in use, although a number of eastern churches have gone to the vernacular. My own Byzantine church has liturgies in English.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • M Jackson Osborn,
    Thanks for your reply. On further reflection, I consider the council, in allowing vernacular for some prayers and chants while retaining Latin as the proper language of the Roman Rite, did indeed foresee the mixing of languages that you call pastiche.

Indeed, my experiences of liturgies that came closest to your lyrical description of 'honest, gorgeous, resplendent, solemn vernacular mass with fine music,' were precisely those that employed both Latin and English, including liturgies conducted under the aegis of Canterbury and others under Rome.
    Thanked by 1PeterJ
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My own Byzantine church has liturgies in English.

That's a thing? Wow. Had no idea.

(Although I did run across a "hymnal" once, supposedly for use in an Orthodox church, that looked like some 1970 Catholic church-camp compilation. It was terrifying. But I also thought, "Well- at least it's not just us."
  • ryandryand
    Limited time so I haven't read the discussion after ronkrisman's initial post, but just to clarify the intent of my question... I like the EF in Latin, but the language is a major point of contention for some folks. The ritual itself is so eloquently beautiful, and I was just wondering if it has ever been celebrated in English so that more folks might "get it"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There are some historic examples here and there that fit the bill to some extent or another, but for all practical purposes- no. It does not happen.

The closest thing one might find now is an Anglican Ordinariate parish.

If you don't mind invalid sacraments and heretical schizmatics, there might be Anglican parish here or there still using The English Missal, which is (essentially) an edition of the pre-V2 Roman Missal with Anglican BCP translations. But even that is going to be pretty rare.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak
  • GavinGavin
    "I like the EF in Latin, but the language is a major point of contention for some folks."

So is ad orientem. Maybe we could have an EF with ad orientem, too... Also, some people are upset about the EF having no Old Testament lesson. Let's make it available with the new lectionary... Some folks also prefer communion in the hand, strongly. Make that available, too...

We could satisfy everyone, and have all these options open to them. Then we have........

The Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite Mass.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Gavin means "versus populum", when he says, " Maybe we could have an EF with ad orientem, too".

In fairness to the OF, however, one would have to do more than merely add these ugly barnacles to switch from the one to the other.

Chris

Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    In fairness to the OF, however, one would have to do more than merely add these ugly barnacles to switch from the one to the other.

Dialogue Mass with four hymns?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Salieri,

I call that the 4-hymn sandwich. No, it's not a good idea, however prevalent it may be.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

I wouldn't call OT readings and the new Lectionary "ugly barnacles."

Maybe it's the latent ultramontanist in me, but I'm always a bit distressed when people state or imply that the Missal of Paul VI, duly approved and promulgated, is somehow intrinsically degenerate or inferior.

Local abuse, weird adaptations, and poor execution? Sure. Complain away.
    Personally preferring previous piety particularly predating Paul's Papacy? Power to the people!

But I get these whiffs sometimes that really bother me...
  • SalieriSalieri
    I really need to remember the code for purple text. . .
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Whoops! Thanks for catching that, Chris!

My point, humorously made (I refuse to embrace purple font - if you want to assume nothing I write is a joke, go ahead. If you want to assume everything I write is a joke, go ahead. If you're going to intelligently judge what I write on its merits, go ahead.) is that some people thought it was a good idea for "The Mass" (what the EF was called 100 years ago) to be in vernacular. They also thought some other things were good ideas. And they updated the Missal accordingly.

For those who don't think these things are good idea, there's Summorum Pontificum and what we now call the EF Mass.

It's like... Windows 8. Many people prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8. But I hear so few people saying "Why isn't there a Windows 7 with a Metro UI?? I don't want Windows 8, just the Metro UI!" (I don't know why someone would want Metro.... just roll with me here.) Either you use Windows 7 or you use Windows 8. Or you dual boot, or virtual machine. But you don't get to have Windows 7 with features that didn't exist in 2009.

By the same token... if you want English, use the 1970 Missal. That is a feature of the Missal. If you want the prayers at the foot of the altar, use the 1962 Missal. That is a feature of that Missal.

If you want both, become a high Episcopalian. If you want both and want to be a practicing Roman Catholic, too bad. Life's unfair.
    Thanked by 2PeterJ ronkrisman
  • CharlesW
    High Episcopalians are good folks, and so are the Ordinariate people.

Watching a black bear run around through the city today. He is fast!
  • MHIMHI
  • Readings from the Old Testament (which is what I presume OT means; in most places it seems to mean "off topic") are not, inherently, a bad thing. That's beside the point, though, because what you're addressing is an additional reading - on the alleged grounds that this opens more of Scripture.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    an additional reading [...] alleged[ly] opens more of Scripture.

What you are implying here (that more scripture is not more scripture) is (in my opinion) totally insane.
  • chonakchonak
    Having three Scripture readings read out like a laundry list and then ignored in the homily is not much better than doing the same for two.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Alleged? What, then, would be the substance underneath the ostensible pretext?
  • Sorry, folks. I had to leave a post in the middle. It's an incomplete thought which, alas, I can't finish at this nanosecond. Since it's an incomplete thought, it will only open the argument. I'll try to come back in the near future.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Having three Scripture readings read out like a laundry list and then ignored in the homily is not much better than doing the same for two.

The solution to this problem is neither to have less reading from scripture, nor to have it read in Latin.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Ok. Assuming that my computer doesn't crash, I'm back.

There is, often, an argument advanced which claims that a greater portion of Holy Writ is now opened to the faithful. This argument is 1) false; and 2) irrelevant. If the desire had been to open more of Scripture to the faithful, why were the prayers at the foot of the altar removed -- since they involve a portion of Ps. 42 -- and why wasn't a longer passage of Scripture used to replace it, if more was the goal; why was the longer 'lavabo inter innocentes manus meas', quoting from the psalms, removed, and replaced by the much shorter quotation from a different psalm. The most logical answer, which I admit is not the only possibility, is that more wasn't so much the object here, but different. In the same way, the Gradual and Tract (two separate pieces of music, each with its own text, often from Scripture) were reduced, at least in practice, to the Responsorial Psalm. The goal hasn't been more Scripture, but different Scripture.

Why is the argument "irrelevant"? In the bad old days when the priest had his back to the people, only recently did hand missals exist, and so the people prayed their own private prayers instead of being a community at worship; besides, the Church had kept the people from reading the Bible, and that had now changed. In the good days of modern reform, we have multiple translations of the Bible. We can read it all we want, and glean the lessons we want from our Ecumenical Study Courses in the Bible -- so we don't need to hear God in our own idiom.

God bless,
    Chris
    Thanked by 2Gavin Protasius
  • CharlesW
    more wasn't so much the object here, but different.

Yep, you got it. That was the goal, to be different from the bad old mass and Church. Then, we could be more like our Protestant brothers and sisters who practiced another path to salvation.

I had my own missal in the unenlightened fifties (still have it) and followed along quite nicely for a pre-teen, even with that horrible Latin.

I had and have the Bible in many different forms, editions, and English translations. I was reading scripture back when scripture wasn't cool. When I was twelve, I visited my aunt's Baptist church - you know, where they know the Bible better than Catholics. I knew more than they did, which really shocked them.

What you have noted with your statement on difference, sums it up well. The object of many of the reformers was an overthrow of the Church as it had been, and the creation of a new and "different" church.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • ronkrisman
    Yep, cgz and CharlesW, you've pinpointed the problem perfectly. Changing the scripture readings and references at Mass was all part of a great conspiracy to sing a new Church into being. We can all be thankful that you both identified it and named it for what it is. What a dim-witted idiot that Paul VI was, being taken in the way he was.

Hopefully, when Vatican III is announced (the sooner the better!) to clear away all the deception we've had to endure these past 50 years, you both will be called upon to serve as periti. That will be great.
  • CharlesW
    I think the "periti" may have been part of the problem. However, the problem has never been Vatican II. The problem was those who came home and misinterpreted and misapplied what the Council had said and done. That is still going on today, but it is getting better, I think. Don't get me started on Paul VI. He was a disaster who caused a greater loss of faith than any formal heretic. The man could never call a spade a spade, and waffled with the wind. Paul VI was a Vatican diplomat with some very universalistic views.
  • Blaise
    I am not quite sure that calling Vatican III will help solve problems as opposed to invent an opportunity to make more. People are still trying to find out what VII really means. The modern day OF in English is evidence of this (as is offered in the majority of Latin U.S. churches).
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Father Krisman,

Your response to me causes great puzzlement. I didn't assert that His Holiness was a "dim-witted idiot".

(Yes, there is a song with the lyric "sing a new church into being", but that isn't part of the official text of the Mass, and to address it here would be to digress.)
    I haven't claimed that there is (or was) a "great conspiracy to sing a new church into being". In fact, I spend a fair amount of time (off this combox) debunking the idea that the cause of our current problem (both in America and in the Church) can or should be sought in conspiracies. I treat these conspiracies as one or other form of gnosticism.

The argument I advance in my paragraph about the priest with his back to the people is what I have heard, seriously proposed, by those who are unwilling to "turn back the clock", or "refuse Vatican 2". I took it to its logical conclusion, that since we can read our own translations and mean whatever we want Scripture to mean (witness the huge number who call themselves Catholic and are quite sure that one can be a good Catholic without accepting anything the Church teaches, even Her fundamental teachings which must be accepted) the addition of a third reading is irrelevant to either the worship of God or the edification of the faithful.

As to "different" Scripture: the simple fact is that the Consilium chose new Scriptures where perfectly good ones already existed. The result of changing the Lavabo and eliminating the prayers at the foot of the altar (to say nothing at all of any other part of the Mass, but merely to bring up again these two examples) is to have LESS Scripture, when the ostensible goal was MORE Scripture. To have so many pericopes of Scripture which have "optional" parts to make a "shorter version" again belies the idea of greater exposure to Scripture. To abandon the Last Gospel again serves the purpose of reducing the sheer quantity of Scripture at every Mass.

I don't need a conspiracy, and don't want one. I don't know why they made the changes I've outlined. I do know that exposing us to "more Scripture" doesn't make sense as an explanation for the reasons I've outlined.
  • GavinGavin
    Did no one understand that Fr. Ron was joking?
  • CharlesW
    Latins and their councils. What else could you expect but chaos? And they say they are organized. LOL. I'm glad we easterners only have to accept the first seven.
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    Yes. By treaty with Rome, we accept the first seven councils as ecumenical. The remainder are Latin church councils which had little, if anything, to do with us. The Orthodox also only accept the first seven as ecumenical, since the entire church was not present for the later councils.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    The first seven councils were ecumenical, we all agree on that. The remainder dealt with issues particular to the Latin Church, and did not address the east. We eastern Catholics accept any dogmas pronounced by all the councils, since they do not differ from the teachings of the Church Fathers which we all believe, although we may express them differently. So, in short, we accept defined dogmas, but do not consider the other councils ecumenical since they generally relate only to affairs of the Latin Church. The Orthodox say that every time the Latins hold a council, they think it is ecumenical.
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    My issue with scripture in the OF is not the quantity, but the coherency and cohesiveness of the scripture. Some readings appear dropped into the mass with no relationship to anything else. It seems the object is to read the entire Bible in a 3-year cycle, not that the readings should bear any relevancy to each other.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My issue with scripture in the OF is not the quantity, but the coherency and cohesiveness of the scripture. Some readings appear dropped into the mass with no relationship to anything else. It seems the object is to read the entire Bible in a 3-year cycle, not that the readings should bear any relevancy to each other

I have never found this to be the case.
    OT2 (after Pentecost) gets a little iffy (not too bad, really), but the in-season (Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter) stuff seems very connected, particularly all of the Sundays where you hear a prophecy followed by its fulfillment.

It isn't just the details- but the overall scope of this effect. I know non-liturgical (or semi-liturgical) Protestants who literally know more of the Old Testament than I do (in terms of remembering names, facts, chronology), but they have no sense of typology, of the Christological nature of the Psalms, or the beauty and wisdom of the Prophets.

Could the current lectionary be improved? Probably- most things can be. But its basic structure is (in my opinion) a vast improvement. I really can't fathom having no OT readings at Mass. That's just... no.

(And yes- the Propers would bring in even more scripture. And regularly praying the Divine Office. And doing real Bible study. And restoring Catholic education. And better preaching....)
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • hartleymartin
    "Ordinary Time" is a rather interesting season. We tend to overlook it's importance. It is meant to follow the public ministry of Jesus Christ. Funnily enough, I've been told that the 3-year cycle is meant to not only give us the same lessons from different Gospels, but it is supposed to mirror the public ministry of Jesus Christ, which by sacred tradition is held to have been about 3 years long.

The prayers at the foot of the altar and the last-gospel began as private devotions that were originally meant to be said privately. The prayers at the foot of the altar were not formally added to the liturgy until 1570 with the missal issued by Pope Pius V and thus, was something of a novelty at the time.
  • chonakchonak
    Adam, the second reading is the odd man out.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, the second reading is the odd man out.

I'm aware of that. But isn't the Old Testament the "new" thing?
    ---

EDIT:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fil1k42qnnqyaaq/Table of readings in 1962 Missal.pdf

I guess it was sometimes an OT and sometimes an Epistle?
    But it looks like on Sundays, it was usually an Epistle. (?)

And in the current lectionary, the Epistle is only the "odd one out" (it seems to me) during the second run of Ordinary Time (after Pentecost).

• Hartley Martin,

Accepting what you say about the prayers at the foot of the altar, I don't see that that changes my point about reducing or changing Scripture, instead of expanding it.
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But they were a novelty at some point.
  • Adam,

After the moment of creation, everything was a novelty at some point. The question, surely, is one of organic development, in line with the mind of the Church, or not.

You seem to be sidestepping the point that I've raised about different Scriptures, rather than more of Holy Writ.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    After the moment of creation, everything was a novelty at some point.

This is true.

The question, surely, is one of organic development, in line with the mind of the Church, or not.

Also true, although I think where we differ here might be that I think the concepts of "organic" and "mind of the Church" are much fuzzier than you seem to. That is to say- between the stuff that clearly IS (the addition of "filoque" to the Creed) and the stuff that clearly ISN'T (using a plastic Super Soaker water pistol in place of an aspergillum) lies a huge amount of "who can say?"

You seem to be sidestepping the point that I've raised about different Scriptures, rather than more of Holy Writ.

"Sidestepping" suggests I'm trying to go somewhere, which I don't think I am. I just stated my opinion:
    -based on what I understand, I prefer the new lectionary

I can see how you might think I'm attempting to convince you of that opinion, or to "win" a debate on rhetorical grounds (whether or not I convince you)- but neither is my intention. I just like talking/arguing about churchy things, and also I like (too much) stating my own opinion about them.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Filioque? Is outrage!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood