EF in vernacular?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    it depends (i) where you put the melisma,

Good advice for life.
  • CharlesW
    Technically we are in the south. This area fought with the north in the civil war, and has voted Republican in every presidential election since. Very little racism exists in East TN, because the geography was never suited to industrial farming, like the southern plantation areas were.

Fellow Catholics? Maybe. Some are, of course. Others belong or belonged to splinter organizations not in communion with Rome. How Catholic they are is up for grabs.

Oh, yeah, CA is the acknowledged master when it comes to fruits and nuts, although I suspect it is just more an area that is socially ultra-liberal. Do you folks still have Governor Moonbeam?
  • Yes- The Moonie is still with us. When will they ever learn... and all that. It still surprises me that people would vote that way after a failed record. But so many don't remember. I was just a kid myself.
    I'm fifth generation CA, and come from cowgirl (rancher) and sorority debutante stock. Talk about juggling identities.

Point taken about schismatic groups and/or groups not in full union with Rome. I feel for them, strive for patience and good will, and do not envy their situation.
  • MHIMHI
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Yes, the bidding prayers continued in France. Jungmann mentions their use.
    Thanked by 2MHI CHGiffen
  • Not only The American Gradual, which is the GR with contemporary English text, but the Plainchant Gradual, which is the GR with traditional Anglican English. Not to mention that most of the Gregorian ordinaries have been put to English by Anglicans, who have been and continue singing all the above for several hundred years. The Catholic Church really missed the boat in the 70's, and may not get on it for quite some time yet. Anything the Anglicans did was the kiss of death... so Catholics ended up with a disaster rather than learning what they might from people who had the world's greatest vernacular liturgy and the music and ritual to go with it.

And, why are we taking such pains to point out that English is of no interest to Africans and South Americans!? No one would expect them to be more than academically (if that) interested in our language. What, pray, is the point in this??? But it IS OUR language. It IS of tremendous literary and liturgical merit.

As for Latin: I believe that every parish should have a Novus Ordo Latin mass scheduled at least once every week, and that people should be catechised to know it and love it. This was the clear admonition of the council and successive popes. Another gift of the council was mass in our beautiful vernacular... an honest, gorgeous, resplendent, solemn vernacular mass with fine music to go with it; not a pastiche, which makes a mockery of it. (You of course can guess the people who've been doing this for a very, very long time.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • "The EF is appealing to a smaller group, or fringe, and likely will not have wide effect on the majority - at least in the U.S."

Charles,

I had to laugh when I read this. We had 5 crying babies in our congregation at a high Mass this Sunday. Considering the postage-stamp size of the parish (seating, legally, 49 people), I think "smaller group" would mean "the church of the future", but this would, of course, include the core of altar boys and the growing number of university students and.......

I suppose that if the majority of vocations come from small outposts, and if these small outposts are peopled by those who are "fringe" elements --- that just means that there's much evangelizing to do!

Thanked by 1MHI
  • Reading through the American Gradual again, and having sung Gregorian propers for several years, I am honestly wondering at the artistic judgment of someone who thinks the AG could possibly replace the GR in beauty.

It's not awful, certainly its not the barbershop type plainchant I've heard so often, and can be lovely in its own way. But there are so very many moments of awkwardness, where a word is rendered so poignantly in Latin and another word is substituted in English due to word order differences in the languages. Sometimes it fits; often it does not.

Who wants to listen to or sing awkward English remakes when we have the Gregorian? Why copy when the original shines so well? Something like the American Gradual may be a bridge in some Latin-phobic OF parishes, but not for the EF, where Latin is preserved without a grudge. It is simply not up to par with the GR.

Clearly I have strong feelings about this. I feel like I inherited a resplendent diamond ring and someone is trying to convince me to remove it and wear cubic zirconia...

If the EF in English is your dream, by all means put poets and melody-smithing singers to work on scrumptious, organic English renderings of the propers. New and beautiful and truly English. If we all keep trying, in a few hundred years we'll have something.
    At least something for our little corner of the Church, a (wonderful!) side fringe on the tapestry of the Universal Church.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • MHIMHI
  • chonakchonak
    MA, I expect that Bruce Ford wrote the AG for use in Episcopalian services.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    Let's approach both the EF and OF liturgies sensibly. There is a trend to reintroduce chant and latin to our masses. Even if we start with BFW or the SEP or even the Anglican Use Gradual, we should be aiming to eventually use the Simplex and the GR. Some parishes may never progress beyond the SEP and hymns. I find that a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't normally attend an OF mass will feel happier with a chant lain ordinary and English propers and readings.

Now, if we could only make ad orientem more common in the OF, many of us would be much happier and feel that the mass was more theocentric for a change.
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    cgz, I have suspected for some time that the EF is more popular in areas with bad OF masses. Perhaps it is the reasonable desire to escape them that increases EF attendance. My parish offers decent, by-the-book OF masses with chant and other respectable music. EF attendance is very small and doesn't appear to be growing. The diocese has somewhere around 20 or so seminarians in training and the number is increasing. Not so bad for an area where Catholics have never been more than 4% or so of the population.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    cgz, I have suspected for some time that the EF is more popular in areas with bad OF masses

I thought everybody pretty much assumes this.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    "Why copy [English chant] when the original [Graduale] shines so well?"

Comprehension. Variety. Culture.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Why translate the Mass into Latin? The Greek was perfect!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • If you can find anything like the GR in Greek Adam, a repertoire that took several centuries to develop and was sung and prayed by a whole region of people, then your point makes more sense.

Remember also that Latin had to die off as a vernacular in order for it to be more stable in the sacred liturgy. It was the language of a fallen empire. Should the same happen with English?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Remember also that Latin had to die off as a vernacular in order for it to be more stable in the sacred liturgy.

Really?!
    French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Romanian.
    Latin didn't die off, it evolved.
    (Like dinosaurs into chickens.)

It was the language of a fallen empire. Should the same happen with English?

That already happened.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Dinosaurs into chickens. You are the funny man!
  • GavinGavin
    What about Byzantine chant?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Dinosaurs into chickens. You are the funny man!

I can't tell if you are disputing my understanding of linguistics or biology.

• ", I have suspected for some time that the EF is more popular in areas with bad OF masses."

While there is some truth to this, it is not the whole truth. For example, in my diocese the celebrations of the OF liturgy are - by reputation, since I've only experienced a few -- thoroughly post-Vatican 2. It is the parish which has the reputation of being "conservative" which yields some to the TLM locally. (That is, there needs to be an awareness of how things should be if there is to be dis-satisfaction with the status quo.) Where the OF is celebrated according to the mind of Archbishop Bugnini, the cries for change are most strident among the few who recognize that things don't have to be this way. (For this reason, perhaps, those who love the perennial teaching of Holy Mother Church and Her liturgy are branded as "strident" and "few". Nevertheless, as HH Pope Benedict pointed out, this liturgy is not merely for the malcontents or the sentimental. Beauty and truth attract people.

Thanked by 1MHI
  • CharlesW
    I would be the first to wish the EF every success. May it live long and prosper. I just don't see any growth in it in my own area.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Although...
    I have suspected for some time that the EF is more popular in areas with bad OF masses.

The only problem with this hypothesis is that it predicts one would find EF celebrations... pretty much everywhere.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If you can find anything like the GR in Greek Adam, a repertoire that took several centuries to develop and was sung and prayed by a whole region of people, then your point makes more sense.

But there was no need for these centuries of innovation. Why must you Latins be constantly adding extra things to the Divine Liturgy? If it was good enough for the Apostles, it was good enough for me! Is outrage!!

Just sayin'.

• CharlesW
    Adam, I haven't seen any research establishing why some areas have EF celebrations and some don't. Perhaps the bishops discourage it enough in places that it is better for priests to not do it. A frequent reason given is that the people haven't expressed an interest in it. The areas I am familiar with have greater attendance at EF masses where the OF masses are wretched.

Amen, Amen. If God had wanted Latin, he wouldn't have put the liturgy into Greek. It is outrage perpetrated by new-calendarist heretics.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    I think I've noticed, if anything, that more EFs pop up where there are BETTER OFs, not worse. But that's limited to my own experiences.
  • Hear, hear!
    Adam says 'Why translate the mass into Latin! The Greek was perfect!'

Of course, we know very well that the reason was that Latin was the language everyone spoke and understood. It's assertedly superior beauty, mystique, holiness, etc., had nothing to do with it; nor did august centuries of tradition!: it was a total novelty. And, it certainly can't be said that it is superior to Greek in expressing theological niceties!
    Let's all learn Greek. (Ach! but then we'd have no great music... except for Byzantine chant.)

(I suspect, after all, that we have some classical scholars who could point out how that the Latin had savaged some Greek originals and was lacking in comparative theological delicacy and mystique.)
  • CharlesW
    Byzantine chant rocks!
  • ronkrisman
    ryand began this discussion of EF in vernacular? on June 9 with this opening salvo:
    Has it ever happened? Is it forbidden?

Few contributors since then have addressed the specific question, instead touching upon issues of why more folks attend celebrations of the 1962 Missale Romanum in some regions than in others, why English-ing Gregorian chants does or does not work, Latin and the sense of "mystery," and a host of other topics.

For me the thread title EF in vernacular? calls for some even more fundamental questions: Is this a good idea? Should anyone even be thinking this way?

For me, someone who fully embraces the liturgical changes called for by and promulgated subsequent to Vatican II, I am mystified by the thought that someone who proclaims that he or she wishes to celebrate the Church's liturgy as it was before the liturgical changes called for by the Fathers of Vatican II would even contemplate saying, "Oh, that's what I want, but with this one slight change, namely, that it be in the vernacular."

How in the world does this make any sense?

I hope there is no one who contributes to the discussions at this Forum who really thinks there is a ghost of a chance that the 1962 Missale Romanum is going to be translated into the vernacular. It's not going to happen.
  • MHIMHI
  • PeterJ
    "...someone who proclaims that he or she wishes to celebrate the Church's liturgy as it was before the liturgical changes called for by the Fathers of Vatican II..."

ronkrishman - I don't think simply "going back to the good old days" is the aim of those who like the sound of vernacular EF.
  • ronkrisman
    PeterJ, sorry, but you are going to have to provide more information that simply, "That's the point."

You do realize that permitting the Roman rite to be celebrated in vernacular languages was by far the most significant of all the liturgical changes of Vatican II? So you want just that one change from V2 but no others whatsoever? How does that make any sense?
  • CharlesW
    Seems to me we did celebrate a semi-vernacular EF with the 1965 English/Latin missal. I still have mine, and it doesn't differ greatly from the all-Latin one.
  • As you note, Father, this conversation, like real life ones, has wandered. This is not altogether a bad, but a rather normal and enjoyable thing. We learn a lot from it.

However, your point is very well taken, and I, basically, agree with it. Even those of us who are thankful for the council's liturgical changes (in spite of the ill-considered warts that were imposed upon them by some) cannot help thinking how things might have turned out with a better liturgical ethos and resulted in less revolutionary zeal and 'over-kill' if this or that had been done. Perhaps, some might think, if we had just translated the EF into English we would have been spared the Robespierrean reign of liturgical terror that resulted in many places, we would be far ahead of where we are now. But, the council fathers gave us not a mere translation but a considerably re-formed liturgy. It is unfortunate that some rather awful music and some rather regrettable liturgical praxes got tacked onto it. But, these things we have to outgrow in favour of a more sane and mature implementation. To my mind, reviving the EF does not contribute to this end. Rather, it in some ways thwarts such an end. It, whether in Latin or the extremely unlikely English, is a refuge for many people who cannot find their spiritual bearings in the as yet chaotic liturgical scene of US Catholicism.

As for me: I am so, so, thankful for the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter: fruit of the council, and gift of John Paul II and Benedict XVI.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Fr. rk -

I don't know that PeterJ, or anyone else, is saying what you are suggesting.

Maybe it's just me, but my view on this conversation is that there some people (me, for example) who want something like a liberalization of solemn options: the old Rite in English, expanded availability of the EF, etc.

And on the the other had there are people (either because they are "too conservative" or "too liberal" - for lack of a better shorthand) who don't want such things and don't think that they are good/useful/valuable/whatever.

As to the original post: I think that was answered:
    Sort of, in a few cases. But no, not really.
  • PeterJ
    ronkrisman - VCII didn't call for root and branch reform of the rite. (Indeed, although endorsing a bit more use of the vernacular, it didn't actually call for a completely vernacular Mass, yes?) VCII didn't call for the OF that we actually ended up with. Or have I misunderstood?

Your assertion that "...someone who proclaims that he or she wishes to celebrate the Church's liturgy as it was before the liturgical changes called for by the Fathers of Vatican II..." is, I think, misunderstanding what is driving people to say they like the sound of vernacular EF.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • PeterJ
    "Maybe it's just me, but my view on this conversation is that there some people (me, for example) who want something like a liberalization of solemn options: the old Rite in English, expanded availability of the EF, etc. "

Exactly, well put. Thanks
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Generally speaking, I'm for more liturgy, not less. Even if it's stuff I don't much want or care for. There's some kind of "stop liking things I don't like" puritanism that runs through so much liturgical activism.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ronkrisman
    PeterJ, the way the liturgical books were reformed after V2 was no different from the way liturgical books were reformed after the Council of Trent. The Council Fathers all went home, and the pope(s) and the Vatican machinery implemented what the councils had decided. And it was ultimately the Pope du jour's call. He was in charge.

I've become used to MJO's hyperbolic expressions, such as "Robespierrean reign of liturgical terror," and have learned not to let them tick me off for fear that I will miss the important truths that his statements contain. And there is a lot of truth in his statement immediately above.

I really think too many people are nostalgic for a liturgy that never really existed.

CharlesW, the interim sacramentaries of 1964 and 1966 were always understood as being interim. No one could foresee at that time what the 1969/1970 Missale Romanum was going to be. However, those years of slightly introducing more and more vernacular did make it very clear by 1969/1970 that worldwide there was an expectation that the entire Mass would be in the vernacular.

I stick with my initial comment that the 1962 MR will never have a vernacular translation. There may be an MR, fourth or fifth or sixth typical edition, someday that ratchets back on some of the changes introduced in 1969/1970, but MR 62 will never be translated.
    Thanked by 2Gavin PeterJ
  • chonakchonak
    I don't expect the Church will go to the trouble of translating the MR 62 into English when almost none of the faithful want it. It's a pipe dream, and it would be vanity for the bishops to devote time to such a project.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Chonak, that's my basic view on the matter as well.
    It's a little pointless to talk about it. Which means I've wasted my own time and energy... alas!
  • MHIMHI
  • M Jackson Osborne wrote: "Another gift of the council was mass in our beautiful vernacular... an honest, gorgeous, resplendent, solemn vernacular mass with fine music to go with it; not a pastiche, which makes a mockery of it."

This honest, gorgeous, solemn, vernacular Mass is something I spent a couple of decades looking for. I could not find it. Where is it? A couple of times I thought I found something that had hope of turning turn into this, but it was in each case put down by a change in clergy.

The new Missal translation is an important step in this direction. The interest of the younger clergy is an encouraging development. In the mean time, I attend both forms and contribute musically primarily to the traditional form in Latin as it stood in 1962, as approved by the Holy See.
  • MHIMHI
  • David Sullivan -
    An apt retort, indeed! My remark was meant to imply that the door was opened for a resplendent vernacular liturgy. We all know who and what came through that door and crashed the party. I can't believe that that was what the council fathers ever dreamed of. The resplendent vernacular liturgy is still possible; and, in all too few places, it happens yet.

MHI -
    With genuine respect and fraternal sympathies -
    Why did you stop at Latin and Slavonic?
    Tudor English also belongs on that list.
    And, you short shrift the poetic and literary potential of our own English language by implying that it could never be on that list.

• MHIMHI
  • Many thanks for the clarification about 'un-vernacularisation'.
    As for 'prevent us, O Lord, in all our doings': the meaning (in context) is perfectly clear to me; nor can I but think anyone who balks at it as being anything other than facetious.

(Obviously, I edited my original remark before your answer came through... there was no intent at deception. For everyone's benefit, what I had said was that the new translation is an immensely gratifying improvement over the pap that we had endured for fifty years; but it remains, basically, the work of amateurs and will never achieve hieratic status.)