Parish Evaluation Project - Warning
  • This post: It was funny, and I removed it.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    [deleted]
  • Chrism
    Tribe has a nice tribute up now...
  • David, my point was simple. You have taken my small admonition to the four corners and beyond in self-defense. And it doesn't make an enemy in me, from my perspective. I'm not a former flower child who'll stick a flower in your M15; if I let go of God ...well, I won't go there. But, that's not who I want to be. Am I not called, as are you, to see Christ in EVERY SINGLE PERSON who shares air in this moment on this globe? Even if that person is Bin Laden or an "aging hippie?"
    You've not been attacked. No one here is threatening the Church. In the name of reason, if not Christ, it's time to cease and desist this silliness.
    Or not.
  • CharlesW
    Before Charles rends his Woodstock shirt into shreds...LOL. I have had facial hair in one form or another, since 1973. All the way from Fu Manchu, to Moses, to goatee. I also have Birkenstocks and Levis, but appearances are deceiving. I may look like the other side, but in no way endorse their views or goals. While they babble about peace, social justice, etc., I am working hard, but silently, to undermine them.

Power to the old people. ;-)
  • Just did it again! Down, boy. Substitute your own funny response.
  • Order! Order!
    Another perfectly important post hijacked by impudence. Do I REALLY have to get my paddle out?

David- a simple mum can find one hole in your argument. By the first definition you cite, we are all considered to be aging. It doesn't distinguish aging people of one age group, as you do by attaching 'hippie' to aging.

Sure, DUH, mega-mistakes are made by many in the previous hipster generation. But do we really need to keep pitting generation against generation? Wasn't that one of their primary mistakes, anyway? Soon enough (God willing) we'll be seniors, and how tiresome will it be if the generation to follow blames everything that went wrong with the Church on us?

Aim your arrows (and I will mine) at the rotten dissident ideas, not everyone in a particular age group.

I guess this points back to the original post and the dangers of cataloging people in a parish by demographic distinction...

If YOU can convince me that using the (partially true) aging hippie canard produces anything of value that would outweigh the reasonable sensibilities of some fellow musicians and friends on this forum, please do.

Until then, may I humbly suggest you put your great brain to something more worthwhile. Like Fr. Brown, you can find a way to say what needs to be said without the 'gong' approach.
  • I'm dreaming of a different parish evaluation, something Guido Marini and his boss would publish...
    How's about every pastor having to put in 3 hours a week watching papal liturgies? Oh, wouldn't that be lovely!

If the survey came to my parish, I'd be tempted to bring some video of such liturgies to a parish council meeting, a 'sharing from the heart' moment. I could produce some tears about how such timeless, beautiful worship has changed my life, etc. And I wouldn't even have to exaggerate.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am very sure that I have absolutely no clue what this post is about anymore.
    Seems I've been here before. I make perfectly valid points, but employ a term that people find "offensive" and "impudent".

I've deleted all of my comments on this thread because, as MA pointed out, they offended the reasonable sensibilities of some here, regardless whatever shreds of truth they may have contained.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    By the way, Shawn disabled my email jtucker@newliturgicalmovement.org so you have to write me at e.g. jeffrey.a.tucker@gmail.com
  • DougS
    This whole thread is yet another on the long list of reasons why EVERY bishop needs to hire a competent music advisor whose job is to help (emphasis on the word help, not force) parishes enact diocesan and Churchwide norms. The "Office of Worship" is, all too frequently, utterly ignorant about music, as most of you can attest. Based on recent ads for diocesan-level worship positions, this won't change any time soon because music is simply not part of the job description. Mind boggling to say the least. A degree in liturgical studies simply doesn't cut it. Music is a specialized part of liturgy, and for every director of worship there should be a corresponding position for music.

I could go on and on...but preaching to the choir.
  • chonakchonak
    That is a good suggestion, Doug. Thanks for it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    This is very depressing...

The only reason I have a Yahoo account is so I can post (as M...) little joke replies to Jeffrey's NLM posts.

Now I will never, likely, log into that account again...
  • CharlesW
    "Jeffrey TuckerCommentTime8 hours ago
    By the way, Shawn disabled my email jtucker@newliturgicalmovement.org so you have to write me at e.g. jeffrey.a.tucker@gmail.com"

I never read that NLM site to begin with. Sounds like I did the right thing.

David Andrew, don't worry so much about all that. Never a true hippie, I was only on the fringe. But I fully expect the young folks to say my generation did screw up the church. Doesn't each generation blame everything on the preceding one? How about, "aging flower children?" Our culture thrives on euphemistic language, so perhaps it has a nicer ring to it.
  • DougS
    By the way, the Archdiocese of St. Louis Institute of Sacred Music seems like a nice model for assistance at the diocesan level. I'm sure there must be other similar programs, but I am most familiar with this one. If only every diocese had something similar...
  • CharlesW
    So very true! It's a good resource.
  • Kathy
    I think Charles' point is well worth taking. It happens in politics all the time: if you demonize the enemy by characterization, soon you underestimate him. (Example from a recent election drama: "Wow, what do you know, there are a lot of red state voters!!")

The people who are heartily opposed to sacred music are your neighbors and some of them are your friends. Now what?
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    I'm having a hard time understanding what everyone here means by "charity". Here is an article on true charity: http://fssp.com/press/2010/06/on-being-charitable-dennis-mcinerny-series/

Here is a quoted passage from the text:

"A nice person is universally and indiscriminately tolerant, meaning that he is comprehensively non-judgmental, meaning that he is a de facto subscriber to moral relativism. None of his words, none of his actions, are such that would ever give offense. He is a veritable virtuoso of inoffensiveness, because, among other things, he has trained himself to be super-sensitive to all the reigning super-sensitivities of our day. He is positively fluent in the sanitized language of Political Correctness. And because the nice person never offends anyone by anything he says or does, he is, not surprisingly, warmly liked and approved by all. Everybody likes the nice person, and he is welcome wherever he goes.

But here is the problem: the nice person is ineffectual. And his ineffectualness is the direct result of his inoffensiveness. What the nice person has seemingly never learned is that sometimes it is necessary to be offensive, not for the sake of being offensive, mind you, but for the sake of truth, goodness, and beauty. Charitable people, in contrast to nice people, have no compunction about being offensive when they see a pressing need for it. They understand that sometimes it is necessary to offend others, for their own good."

What is the best way to be "truly" charitable to those groups like the one we are discussing? Shouldn't we withstand them to their faces and then firmly (and fraternally) guide them to the truth?
    At issue was my use of an epithet commonly used to refer to a particular subset of Catholics at both the parish and national levels who are well-known for their aggressively dissident and progressive ideologies. They agitate for "contemporary" music and praise bands, usually in the name of "attracting youth", they advocate for groups like Call to Action, pro-choice, pro-gay and pro-"womenpriest" movements and have been responsible for running many of us out our jobs or making life extremely difficult. They also have been responsible for running serious-minded, orthodox priests out of their parishes. A hallmark of this group is frequent use of truly evil tactics such as detraction, rash judgment and calumny (as described in canon law and the Catechism) to destroy reputations.

Groups like this PEP/PAR organization, the subject of this thread, are favored by (and indeed staffed by) this group for whom I used the offensive epithet.

Once I used this term, and despite it being buried deep within a comment that was otherwise found to be accepted as an unvarnished assessment of the situation, the "piling on" began. I was accused of lacking in charity, compromising the cause, alienating and offending those of "reasonable sensibilities" and finally I was called "impudent." At that point I removed all of my comments and subsequent exchanges wherein I was further accused of being overly self-defensive.

The term in question? "Aging hippie." It has been commonly used by the likes of Fr. Z to describe a specific subgroup of Catholics; I was applying it in exactly the same way. It became necessary for some to protest loudly and denounce me as a danger to the rhetoric and responsible for hijacking the thread with impudence, and so I withdrew my comments.
  • Ossian, thank you for your post. Some distinctions need to be articulated:
    1. Virtually everyone who addressed the organization Jeffrey identified demonstrated the true charity you and others have championed with commentary reflecting those folks need fraternal correction. Myself included.
    2. True charity and fraternal correction was what I tried to offer to another, totally different circumstance, specifically wholesale mischaracterizations and stereotyping of folks we encounter in our own domains with whom we have differences.
    In the process, those two distinctions became blurred and mixed, IMO, and the thread went haywire. I regret that, but like David, stand by my words.
    Our clustered churches completed a 17,000 family mailed parish assessment this last spring, self-generated. The guiding principles of that process were self-articulated by the pastoral council and pastor according to papal/curial documents, gospel "values" that are self-evident, and specific, local concerns. Political correctness was not a factor in the polling questions. Innovation with administrative, pastoral and liturgical structures were not factors.
    I firmly believe, and have echoed publicly here, elsewhere and at parish department chair meetings, that the way out of any perceived ecclesial morass, either local or global, is the exhortation made by our colleague MOConnor to "become more Catholic." I don't think anyone on these boards disagrees on the meaning and intent of that method.
    But I don't believe that we should nor need to purposefully alienate one another with unnecessary phrases that neither represents "true charity" nor advances the dialectic.
    People do monitor this forum with the sole purpose of reinforcing their own prejudices about CMAA-people, and every time I encounter such folks and inform them that "it's not at all like that," it seems that we "shoot ourselves in the foot" with the disagreements we've seen in this thread. Again, I regret that and bear responsibility. Lastly, indeed it is not about being nice (lukewarm?) It is about being respectful.
  • David, I am sorry for causing you discomfort and injury to your effort to contribute your experience and opinions to the thread topic.
    xCharles
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    Charles,

I don't think we're disagreeing here, except on one point. I think it is OK to stereotype people in some circumstances because it helps us identify them and talk about the issues clearly. We can do that in a respectful way and we should be careful of what we say on public forums.

God Bless,
    Matt
  • miacoyne
    is the church a cruiseship or a battleship?

You may want to watch this video clip.

http://blog.adw.org/2010/06/is-the-church-a-cruise-ship-or-a-battleship/
  • Erik P
  • BruceL
    Doug, in response to your post about offices of worship: I think this is quite tricky. The question that must be asked is, "Are there people who are qualified to do that job?" Professionally speaking, I do not have a masters' in theology or anything church-related, but rather simply in organ and sacred music. Am I qualified? Also, if I am qualified, academically speaking, what assurance is that that I am 1) a faithful, orthodox Catholic, and 2) professionally/musically competent? Am I suspicious of, say, the Holy Father's ideas about the liturgy? Am I taking my modus operandi from Sacrosanctum concilium and Musicam sacram? Unfortunately, I doubt this is often the case.

I am a bit pessimistic about this, although I certainly share your wish for this sort of competent office at the diocesan level. I find it is particularly key for the diocesan director of music to have some sort of mandatory continuing ed interaction with the musicians in the diocesan.

I don't want to seem too expert about the St. Louis office, but really it is just Fr. Samuel. That is not to say that we do not greatly value him here (we do!), but unfortunately even those working in his department are rather blasé about his work. Fortunately, that is much less the case among the seminarians at Kenrick-Glennon, whom are very much in favor of his very timely and useful work. We should not hesitate to thank Abp. Burke for the institute of sacred music; it was one of his best ideas. So far, Abp. Carlson is wisely keeping Fr. Samuel here in the "Rome of the West"!
  • DougS
    Bruce, those are all excellent questions, and I wish I had answers. Sometimes I like to dream big!

Part of the problem of course is that the people qualified to do it already have good jobs. But if bishops never seek, they will never find.

The more I think about it, It wouldn't have to be a job for a single person, either (as it sounds like it is in St. Louis--I knew to an extent that it was only Fr. Samuel but it sounds worse than I imagined). There is plenty of room for collaborative thinking about how to improve music in parishes. If I were in the music expert's seat, I would certainly value input on other issues outside my expertise.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    One tiny point of distinction:

John Romeri, AAGO is still the archdiocessan director of music; I believe Fr. Weber is the academic side.
  • DougS
    I think the difference is that Romeri heads the Office of Sacred Music and Weber heads the Institute of Sacred Music. The infrastructure there seems magnificent.
  • BruceL
    PGA: yes, you are correct. Sorry if I implied that was not the case. Romeri's main job, of course, is director of music at the cathedral-basilica, while in sum Fr. Samuel's is to teach a number of classes in Latin and chant/sacred music at Kenrick-Glennon Seminary.
  • miacoyne
    delete
  • dad29
    By the way, the Archdiocese of St. Louis Institute of Sacred Music seems like a nice model for assistance at the diocesan level. I'm sure there must be other similar programs, but I am most familiar with this one. If only every diocese had something similar.

Ironically, the Archdiocese of Milwaukee's St Pius X Guild was an excellent resource, and located only 1 door south of the convent used by PEP as its headquarters. I say "was" because it was, in effect, disbanded on the arrival of Rembert Weakland as the Arch'p of Milwaukee.

As a matter of interest, Fr. Sweetser was in the same Jesuit residence as was Fr. David Cooke SJ, brother of Fr. Bernard Cooke SJ, when Sweetser was teaching at Marquette High. That was during the late 1960's, which should tell you a bit about Sweetser's mindset and formative milieu, just as would his proximity to the Cooke brothers. I can tell you, first-hand, that the Jebbies were 'experimenters' with the Mass at that time, and it was a spiritual disaster.

For all practical purposes, he's a member of the "St Louis Jesuits;" his formation as a Jebbie was contemporaneous (and co-located) with them. His later advocacy of wimminpriests (etc.) should be an enormous red flag.
  • DougS
    All very interesting information, dad. Thanks for passing that along!
  • JeanL
    I am glad this information on Sweetser and his group continues to come in--if we can get enough, perphaps something along the lines of a visitation or investigation of his group may be in order--keep up the research!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    something along the lines of a visitation or investigation

Seems doubtful.

Putting aside the clergy who think this sort of thing is good-
    Those in authority who understand that this stuff is ridiculous are, I think, so convinced of its ridiculousness that they have trouble thinking anyone else would take it seriously- so there is no understanding of how damaging it can be.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Hey Jeffrey,

Do the olive bars at your grocery stores down there not have the little "sample cups"? Our grocery store olive bars in Ohio offer little paper cups for people who wish to sample, and therefore give everyone permission to taste without guilt.
  • dad29
    perphaps something along the lines of a visitation or investigation

Or, perhaps, they could be visited by Tomas de Torquemada for an auto-da-fe!

I'd be happy to bring along an Iron Maiden.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    "Jeffrey TuckerCommentTime8 hours ago
    By the way, Shawn disabled my email jtucker@newliturgicalmovement.org so you have to write me at e.g. jeffrey.a.tucker@gmail.com"

i lost all respect for Shawn Tribe about two years ago, when I found out he'd misrepresented his education. i was doing an online piece where i was (foolishly, it seems) trying to promote the NLM. nothing major, just a minor online publication. in one of his posts, he had insinuated that he'd earned a university degree. turns out, he never did complete any degree program. i had politely asked for these details (to include them in the article) and he got all huffy. never again.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    dad29:
    I'd be happy to bring along an Iron Maiden.

Or would something from Judas Priest be more appropriate?

...Sorry. Couldn't resist. :-)

Charles and David: I've been known to toss "hippie" around somewhat indiscriminately, myself, often preceded by "dope-smoking." I probably should cut back....
  • JeanL
    I strongly believe in charity, but as mentioned above the people who run groups like PAR or PEP or the Parish Evaluation Project, don't necessarily share the practice of charity. The very nature of their groups is based upon deception of those who hire them. They come selling the service of organizing parishes and increasing involvement of the faithful, but their goal is to dilute the church, encourage "a free spirit," and essentially make the church irrelevant. The first target is the liturgy. The Second target is the priesthood, and it goes from there. They believe themselves to be a grass roots movement who will eventually take on the church by slowly attempting to brainwash the well intentioned, but naive faithful.