Obeying our Ordinaries
  • It's not an ad hominem fallacy, as it happens, though I grant that it's harsh. That he lies about the events happening in the church and the people involved therein bears directly on the validity of his conclusions, and that he's a hypocrite is also relevant. If he's going to go after trads for their lack of orthodoxy, he ought to go after progressives who use Pope Francis to push for their pet projects, but he doesn't, so I can only surmise that he doesn't actually care about orthodoxy.

For example, Lewis clings to the belief, despite repeated correction, that Cardinal Burke acts like and approves of Marcel Lefebvre's actions and theology, whatever that means. (He doesn't. He doesn't like the SSPX's course, and his ecclesiology is summed up by "Lumen gentium," which he quotes more often than Trent.)

Lewis also seems to think that rethinking the papacy is a bad thing, as if the left doesn't do it all the time and that we're the bad guys for being angry about things like the Flemish bishops. That's insulting, never mind chock full of lies.

WPI is garbage, and I stand by my comment. It is run by a mendacious liar who needs to be made unwelcome in Catholic company for what he's said about good people just trying to do their best in these times.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • If he's going to go after trads for their lack of orthodoxy, he ought to go after progressives who use Pope Francis to push for their pet projects, but he doesn't, so I can only surmise that he doesn't actually care about orthodoxy.
    (...)
    Lewis also seems to think that rethinking the papacy is a bad thing, as if the left doesn't do it all the timeand that we're the bad guys for being angry about things like the Flemish bishops. That's insulting, never mind chock full of lies.
    (...)
    It is run by a mendacious liar who needs to be made unwelcome in Catholic company for what he's said about good people just trying to do their best in these times.

Three things:

1. "Liberals" doing something doesn't make it okay for conservatives to do the same. In fact, conservatives should really know better, given their attachment to orthodoxy. This is actually Lewis's point and the reason why he focuses on conservative heterodoxy.
    2. I hardly think directly advocating disobedience of the Supreme Pontiff and arguing that he has no power to teach anything with which they personally disagree is "good people just trying to do their best". I don't recall WPI going after the silent people in the pews who just want to get away from liturgical silliness.
    3. The onus is still on you to disprove the direct arguments that have been quoted pertaining to this matter, instead of simply complaining about Lewis's character.
    Thanked by 3MarkB CHGiffen Liam
  • I appear to have touched off quite a firestorm.

When the archdiocese of Chicago says that incorporating these elements from the patrimony
    "[Accompaniment] may also mean creatively including elements that people have found nourishing in celebrating the pre-Vatican form of the Mass, which has always been an option in the Mass reformed by the Council, e.g., reverent movement and gestures, use of Gregorian chant, Latin and incense, as well as extended periods of silence within the liturgy."

Serious question: Anyone seen Mass in the archdiocese of Chicago, beyond St. John Cantius and the National Shrine? Are these options exercised, or encouraged (like options for girl altar boys et alia? Or, are they actively discouraged as somehow against the Council?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw LauraKaz
  • CharlesW
    Charles, aren't you canonically Byzantine? I don't think that Byzantine Catholics would allow the pope to interfere, so it's a bit rich to hear this from you.

I suspect we would do as many Byzantine Catholics did early in the last century when the issue of married priests came up, return to our mother church which is Orthodoxy, not Rome. While we are in union with Rome, we haven't fallen into the "pope-olotry" that seemingly affects the west. While I don't agree with Francis on the TLM - heck, I think he may be one of the worst popes of the last hundred years - his objections seem to be that the TLM folks have become a church within the church. Some of the more vocal ones are even anti-church to the majority of western Catholics.
  • Christopher Gee-Zed,

I can't speak for all of Chicago, but I do know that there are parishes attempting to follow the options 'allowed' by Cardinal Cupich. I've been told by a few people [Mr. Allen among them] that St. Odilo's, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and the Monastery of the Holy Cross (which technically isn't diocesan, but all the same) all offer the Usus Recentior in Latin, with incense, male altar servers, etc. They're hoping to wait out the storm, but nothing has happened to them yet. (I'm not a fan of Cupich in any sense, but I figured it was only fair to post this.)
  • Defenders of the OPTION gambit,

Since the Council says that Gregorian chant and Latin shall have pride of place, does Cardinal Cupich's reducing them to nice add-ons (like legroom on Spirit Air) mean that they aren't actually supposed to have pride of place, and that, in fact, they don't really belong in the Missal of Paul VI..... and doesn't that put Cupich at odds with the Council?
  • 1. "Liberals" doing something doesn't make it okay for conservatives to do the same. In fact, conservatives should really know better, given their attachment to orthodoxy. This is actually Lewis's point and the reason why he focuses on conservative heterodoxy.

"Liberals" opposing the Church's teaching of the Church on contraception, women in the priesthood, etc., which have been taught consistently for centuries, is very different than "conservatives" defending a teaching which has been taught for centuries against a "development" which (as far as many people can tell) is in direct contradiction to the perennial teaching. The content is not the same.

The only thing that seems the same here is that liberals opposed what the Holy Father said 20 years ago, while conservatives are doing it now. But what the Holy Father is saying now is not the same as what Holy Father said then. So what is to be done? If the rule is simply, "Follow what the Holy Father says," we end up in seeming contradictions, whereby what was Church teaching 20 years ago (and in line with the perennial teaching of the Church) is no longer Church teaching. So then the rule is to follow the most recent teaching? But couldn't that (by definition) change with the next pontiff? The situation is not quite as simple as those at WPI would like to believe.
  • "Liberals" opposing the Church's teaching of the Church on contraception, women in the priesthood, etc., which have been taught consistently for centuries, is very different than "conservatives" defending a teaching which has been taught for centuries against a "development" which (as far as many people can tell) is in direct contradiction to the perennial teaching. The content is not the same.

"Tradition" does not mean that Church teaching never develops. Whether a teaching is a rupture or in continuity with the past is for the Magisterium to decide, not agenda-driven American traditionalists on the Internet. Again, this is clearly laid out in Canon Law.

If you reject the authority of the Magisterium, the Apostolic See, and Canon Law in favour of your personal view of "Tradition", how is that different than Martin Luther rejecting all of the above in favour of his personal view of "Scripture"?

Which goes back to the very issue posed by this thread—people elevating their personal conclusions to a higher level of validity than the instructions of Church hierarchy.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Chaswjd
    @Chris Garton-Zavesky

I think that they way that Cardinal Cupich describes chant and Latin as add-ons does put him at odds with the Council. But I think that the way the reform was implemented and the way mass is said in most parishes today is at odds with the Council. I think that the Cardinal is simply expressing the existing de facto default where, in the U.S., English or Spanish is the normative language of the mass and Latin is the exception.

I believe that a fair reading of Sacrosanctum Concilium means that a bishop cannot unilaterally forbid saying a mass said according to the NO missal if the presider has sufficient knowledge of the language. Whether that actually works out in practice? Who knows. But a statement from an ecumenical council saying that Latin is to be preserved and setting a norm that the people are to be able to say in Latin, those parts of the mass which pertain to them, should make it impossible for a bishop to outlaw Latin in the NO. Likewise, the gift of St. Paul VI to the church of the Jubilate Deo chants, again in Latin, should make it impossible for a bishop to try and outlaw the use of those chants.

• "Tradition" does not mean that Church teaching never develops.

Understood; but "development" does not include "contradiction."

Whether a teaching is a rupture or in continuity with the past is for the Magisterium to decide, not agenda-driven American traditionalists on the Internet. Again, this is clearly laid out in Canon Law.

You still haven't solved the problem of one pope saying one thing, and another (seemingly) saying the opposite - i.e. the latter cannot be considered a development of the former, but its repudiation. I hope we can agree that the principle of non-contradiction is something we can all apply for ourselves.
    people elevating their personal conclusions to a higher level of validity than the instructions of Church hierarchy.

If we're talking about instructions of the hierarchy (as opposed to papal teaching), it's a very different story. It's not always like "obeying" a traffic light. A directive while not being sinful may be grossly unfair, unworkable, even harmful and unlawful. The decision may be valid in the sense of being issued by a lawful authority, but if the last few decades has taught us anything, this doesn't mean it's a good decision.
  • MarkB
    You still haven't solved the problem of one pope saying one thing, and another (seemingly) saying the opposite - i.e. the latter cannot be considered a development of the former, but its repudiation. I hope we can agree that the principle of non-contradiction is something we can all apply for ourselves.

In matters of discipline, changing or even nullifying past practice is entirely permissible from one pontificate to another. Liturgical and ritual forms fall under discipline. It's not a matter of de fide dogma that the TLM must be authorized for celebration for all time. And that's what we're discussing.

The statement by Pope Benedict XVI that all the Trads repeat in nearly every single article, speech and blog post about "saving the TLM" doesn't do the heavy lifting they think it does:

What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful.

"It cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful."

Perhaps not "all of a sudden," but it can be gradually phased out of authorized use, and that's the liturgical discipline that Pope Francis has enacted for the Roman Church, adhering to Sacrosanctum Concilium's mandate for the general restoration and reform of the liturgy.

Summorum Pontificum was not doctrinal; it was disciplinary. Summorum Pontificum affirmed that the Novus Ordo Missae is the ordinary and normative liturgical form in the Roman Church by virtue of Vatican II and Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II. Summorum gave permission for any priest to celebrate the TLM in order to serve the faithful who were attached to that older, venerable liturgical form. The intent was not to promote an expansion of the TLM in competition with the Novus Ordo Missae nor to restore the TLM to normative status.

Traditionis Custodes was disciplinary too, revoking Summorum and explaining that the experiment of Summorum had unintended and unforeseen consequences that were harming Church unity. Thus the Church would commit herself to fully realizing and implementing the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council for the sake of unity in liturgical prayer, which in Pope Francis' judgment means suppressing and very likely eventually phasing out the TLM.

The TLM is not timeless nor above Church authority. The Church has the authority and power to discontinue the celebration of the TLM -- to abrogate it -- by replacing it with a revised/renewed liturgical form. Agree or disagree on that point?
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • Chas,

should

indeed!

Mark,

A group of cardinals, nearly 40 years ago, asked the question "Did Pope Paul VI abrogate the older form?" (in essence). They answered in the negative.

I think you will find that the Church has the authority and the power to modify some portions of the liturgy, whether the exercise of that faculty is wise or not. There are, however, some parts which can't be changed. (Vatican II says so.) Nothing can be changed in the MATTER or FORM of the sacrament required for validity.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • The onus isn’t on me to prove anything. There are no real arguments being made other than “Peter K is bad and WPI is good.” Well, no. Mike Lewis is a liar, and WPI and Mike Lewis support TC, which means that they do have something to say about ordinary people. Lewis also doesn’t like that people have different views about the office of the papacy and that even fellow card-carrying anti-integralist liberals criticize his view, which also makes it very hard to be a normal person in the pew.

Again, it’s not a fallacy if Lewis’s lies bear directly on his views.

Not only is rich_enough correct, I have to add that trads are hounded for this. At best, liberals get a slap on the wrist, and for Lewis’s course of action to be consistent, he should hound out anyone who is soft on abortion and contraception. (He has more wiggle room to be a squish on divorce, but the next council will have to deal with that.)

Mark, I would consider from the evening of July 15 to the morning of July 16, 2021 to be “all of a sudden.” But again, I refer you to Bugnini’s failire to obtain the suppression of the traditional rite and the reasoning of the Secretariat of State.

You’re also mischaracterizing TC. It is expressly preparing for the future abrogation of the TLM, which ought to send Francis to hell for the consequences which will stir up, given that we already know that things were better after 2007. The bishops themselves admitted it to the CDF. It is, and was never, about behavior. It was always about the liturgy itself.

And I disagree that it can be abolished, just so we’re clear.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Matthew,

Mike Lewis (whom I don't know from Adam) may or may not be a liar, but would you agree that his status as truth-challenged has little or nothing to do with your dislike of TC?
  • It may be that ICKSP priests are forbidden by its constitution from celebrating the NO, but that comes up against what Pope Benedict wrote in his commentary on SP :-
    Needless to say, in order to experience full communion, the priests of the communities adhering to the former usage cannot, as a matter of principle, exclude celebrating according to the new books. The total exclusion of the new rite would not in fact be consistent with the recognition of its value and holiness.

or, since the German presumably expresses accurately what Papa Ratzinger was thinking :-
    Um die volle communio zu leben, können die Priester, die den Gemeinschaften des alten Usus zugehören, selbstverständlich die Zelebration nach den neuen liturgischen Büchern im Prinzip nicht ausschließen. Ein völliger Ausschluß wäre nämlich nicht in Übereinstimmung mit der Anerkennung des Wertes und der Heiligkeit des Ritus in seiner erneuerten Form.
  • It has little or nothing to do with my views on TC, but it has everything to do with his own, and it's completely relevant to the suggestion that WPI and Mike Lewis are healthier than Peter K.

Re: the Institute of Christ the King: yet BXVI's people approved the constitutions, and Francis oversaw their definitive approval (by the way, they show up to the chrism Mass, and they don't make a public fuss about it)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    The TLM is not timeless nor above Church authority. The Church has the authority and power to discontinue the celebration of the TLM -- to abrogate it -- by replacing it with a revised/renewed liturgical form. Agree or disagree on that point?

The TLM is timeless it is the rite the Western Church has used for most of its history.
    The Church does not have the power to suppress the TLM. N.B. even Francis agrees as he has given the SSPX faculties, and confirmed the constitution of the FSSP.

The Faith and the Liturgy are to be passed on unchanged, in a future council this will be made clear. The is called the natural clarification of the doctrine of the Church.

The Pope / committee can make up a new liturgy, but they can not force people to attend it, and they cannot force priests to say it. A quick look in Europe will see the New Rite is well on its way to extinction, the clue is looking at the number of priests being buried compared to those starting seminary this year... The T.C. effect is more than evident, it is almost as if Francis is working to produce the smaller more faithful Church that Benedict foresaw, one that will only say the TLM.
    Thanked by 2MatthewRoth francis
  • I am not sure what "the TLM is timeless" means, indeed I doubt whether it has any meaning. Aquinas rejects the whole principle of Platonic Ideals, and "the TLM" appears to me to be nothing more than a Platonic Ideal. The reality is embodied in, for example, the Pian 1570 missal which is different from the 1604 missal, ... or the 1962 missal, or the 1965 missal. Quite apart from the calendars, there are differences in the texts and in the rubrics between all these. And each was properly authorised as a replacement of that previously used.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Richard Mix
  • @MatthewRoth yes Pope Benedict expressed various liturgical desiderata but failed to give legislative effect to any of them after removing most of the bishops controls on the VO, which I find most unfortunate.
    My own archbishop (Liverpool) seems to have no problem with the FSSP, before TC he was happily confirming and ordaining in the church he gave them.
  • DL
    This discussion cannot be had without some saintly help:
    [W]hen I speak of Conscience, I mean conscience truly so called. When it has the right of opposing the supreme, though not infallible Authority of the Pope, it must be something more than that miserable counterfeit which, as I have said above, now goes by the name. If in a particular case it is to be taken as a sacred and sovereign monitor, its dictate, in order to prevail against the voice of the Pope, must follow upon serious thought, prayer, and all available means of arriving at a right judgment on the matter in question. And further, obedience to the Pope is what is called “in possession;” that is, the onus probandi of establishing a case against him lies, as in all cases of exception, on the side of conscience. Unless a man is able to say to himself, as in the Presence of God, that he must not, and dare not, act upon the Papal injunction, he is bound to obey it, and would commit a great sin in disobeying it. Primâ facie it is his bounden duty, even from a sentiment of loyalty, to believe the Pope right and to act accordingly. He must vanquish that mean, ungenerous, selfish, vulgar spirit of his nature, which, at the very first rumour of a command, places itself in opposition to the Superior who gives it, asks itself whether he is not exceeding his right, and rejoices, in a moral and practical matter to commence with scepticism. He must have no wilful determination to exercise a right of thinking, saying, doing just what he pleases, the question of truth and falsehood, right and wrong, the duty if possible of obedience, the love of speaking as his Head speaks, and of standing in all cases on his Head's side, being simply discarded. If this necessary rule were observed, collisions between the Pope's authority and the authority of conscience would be very rare. On the other hand, in the fact that, after all, in extraordinary cases, the conscience of each individual is free, we have a safeguard and security, were security necessary (which is a most gratuitous supposition), that no Pope ever will be able, as the objection supposes, to create a false conscience for his own ends.
  • It is expressly preparing for the future abrogation of the TLM, which ought to send Francis to hell for the consequences which will stir up

And people wonder why Francis was concerned about the attitudes in these communities.
    The Church does not have the power to suppress the TLM. N.B. even Francis agrees as he has given the SSPX faculties, and confirmed the constitution of the FSSP.
    If the Church supposedly has no power to suppress the usus antiquior, why would there be any reason for him to do either of those things?
  • MarkB
    Yet there are some, such as Dr. Kwasniewski, who claim the TLM has become timeless because it has attained a canonical status, similar to the canon of Scripture, that no ecclesiastical authority has the power to alter. Therefore, Dr. K. asserts that disobeying ecclesial edicts that curtail, restrict or abolish the TLM is a duty, which disobedience is framed as true obedience to a supposed higher authority: the alleged divine authority of every jot and tittle of Liturgical Tradition as it stood in 1954 or whatever other year is claimed to be the apex of TLM splendor and purity.

That's TLM Protestantism, replacing Sola Scriptura with a sort of Sola Liturgia.
  • @a_f_hawkins, if the bishops didn't want to lose control over the traditional liturgy, they shouldn't have systematically refused cooperation with trads, and they should have been better stewards of the new rite. Also, the differences between the various printed editions of the missal are minimal and largely related to the Sanctorale, only occasionally to rubrics. You are simply incorrect to state that there are meaningful textual or ritual differences between them, up until the new code of rubrics introduced in 1962, and then we can talk. But otherwise, no, they even maintained rubrics for things that they managed to quickly suppressed, like the tropes of Gloria IX (well, IX according to the Vaticana).

I mean, Mark, you can agree with Peter K. or not, but it's what the Byzantine churches think and, until the 1960s, what everyone thought about the Roman Mass. No one here, and certainly not at WPI, has grappled with the fact that, aside from questions of binding one's successor, Quo primum does set a standard which the traditional rite has far surpassed, and given the attitudes which have only gotten crueler since the 1970s, no one has adequately addressed the utter failure of Paul VI to say the magic words of total suppression and the response of the Secretariat of State to Bugnini.

We're going to have to hold a council to suppress a whole bunch of things and to deal with this question, because attacking faithful Catholics for trying to hold on in the storm is frankly cruel and irresponsible.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw francis
  • CharlesW
    I don't buy that the TLM is timeless. One could compare a 5th-century liturgy in Rome to it, and they would not be the same. However, I would be the first to say the "reforms" in the sixties were ill thought out and poorly executed. But given the state of the hierarchy today, would anyone in their right mind want to call another council? God only knows what would come out of it.
  • @a_f_hawkins, if the bishops didn't want to lose control over the traditional liturgy, they shouldn't have systematically refused cooperation with trads, and they should have been better stewards of the new rite.

I agree that they should've, but it's irrelevant to the question of whether or not they should be obeyed. Just because the church first handled Lutheranism with exceptional incompetence and occasionally malice (including allowing Johann Eck free reign to target his personal enemies and spew disgusting anti-Semitic rhetoric) doesn't mean that all of Luther's ideas are suddenly fair game.
  • tomjaw
    I am not sure what "the TLM is timeless"
    God is timeless He does not need to change to suit the time. The Church is timeless even though it (the Church militant) sails on the river of time it does not need the river to exist. The TLM (the Ordinary, canon etc.) is also timeless it does not need anything, it can be said in a 5th c. Roman basilica, a Spanish mission, in a wooden hut built on the site of one of the German pagan groves, in a Shogun's palace, on the back of a jeep, in a vast cathedral, or on a Mass stone... It is designed to fit in any place. That is why it is timeless.

If the Church supposedly has no power to suppress the usus antiquior, why would there be any reason for him to do either of those things?
    A careful look at the pronouncements will see only a current of confusion.
    1. SC wanted a minor reform although it appears that there was no consensus among the cardinals as to what this should look like.
    2. A committee wrote a new Liturgy based upon false research.
    3. A new Missal was published supposedly replacing the TLM.
    4. Permission was soon freely granted by the Pope himself for the use of the TLM
    5. The standard form of the new Missal in Latin with chant was allowed to quickly become a rare occurrence which is not what Vat II asked for.
    6. Unsurprisingly the new Missal was not a success as church and seminaries emptied.
    7. John Paul II granted further permissions to use the TLM.
    8. Benedict did likewise, while asking for an eventual return to one Roman Missal.
    9. The reform of the reform appears to have failed.
    10. Francis who knows the SSPX very well from his time in Argentina, gives them faculties. Whether he has power to do this universally is another question.
    11. Francis (in fact a collection of ghost writers) publish T.C. with an intention to eventually return to one roman missal based on the N.O. Missal.
    12. Francis then gives permission for the FSSP to continue.
    13. Francis has continued to give permission for priests to say the TLM in Rome and elsewhere.
    14. Meanwhile vocations and seminaries have continued to decline...

So what can we infer,
    1. Is the TLM suppressed? No
    2. Will the TLM be suppressed? Not in my lifetime or my children's possibly not at all.
    3. Can the Church suppress the TLM? Probably not as it did not do it after the publication of the N.O. that would have been the most opportune time.
    4. Are the TLM and N.O. the same rite? Possibly not although Francis appears to think so.
    5. Are we going to return to having one form of the Roman rite? No because we have never had one form of the Roman rite, and it appears to be undesirable.
    6. Do we have one form of the N.O. rite ? Obviously not look around...

I agree that they should've, but it's irrelevant to the question of whether or not they should be obeyed.

What is this about obedience to the Ordinary...
    1. They don't have the power to tell me what Mass I attend.
    2. They do not have the power to tell me what Catholic Rite I go to.
    3. They don't really have the power to ban Latin, chant, and other practices that are an integral part of the N.O. as written.

They do have power over secular priests that while limited these limits are frequently abused. They have little power over religious clergy, and clergy of societies of pontifical rite. They have no effective power over the SSPX as Francis has given them faculties over their heads.

Do we have to follow the whims of our bishops? No, but if you want to you can attend balloon 'mass', giant puppet 'mass', various goings on in Southern California that maybe 'mass' but can not tell from looking. Just because a bishop (your ordinary) does or says something does not make him right. They are not dictators and their powers are limited.

Finally describing Catholics that are following Church teaching, as protestants is deeply offensive. Protestants chose what to believe based on what disgusting people like Luther thought (You have read what he wrote about the Jews). Just because you do not attend the N.O does not make you a protestant, just as many Catholics do not attend any western rite Liturgy. You can say unique expression as much as you like but we do not have one unique expression.
    Thanked by 2francis MatthewRoth
  • My issue with the (supposed) banning of the TLM is the apparent veto implied on all of antiquity. There’s no denying that the novus ordo can foster (or at least permit / accommodate) a VERY different theological outlook on the faith than the TLM and that is a MAJOR problem. But to return to the original point: all of these bishops banning THE rite that nourished and produced Saints for centuries… sure seems like a condemnation and a turning of the back on everything that came before. A bit like swinging an ax at one leg of a three-legged stool while you are sitting on it.
  • francis
    Wow

I have had no time to respond since my last post, and I certainly have more to clarify our progression of thought here... hope to soon.

• Finally describing Catholics that are following Church teaching, as protestants is deeply offensive.

If you believe that Canon Law and the Magisterium are subordinate to your personal view of "Tradition" whenever they are in conflict, then you are not following Church teaching. It's that simple, and no amount of special pleading will change that. This is the foundational difference between Catholicism and Protestantism.

Regardless of his supposed "traditionalism", when Kwasniewski calls for openly disobeying Church authority because he doesn't agree with what he says, that makes him less in keeping with the teachings of the Church, not more.

I keep seeing this exact same mindset here on the forum and it's both puzzling and concerning to me. I see people arguing for using their preferred translation of the readings, psalms, and the Ordinary instead of the official one because "it's traditional". I see advocacy for officially celebrating the 1955 Holy Week despite no official backing because "it's traditional". I was once at an All Souls' Mass where the director programmed Dies irae as the bona fide Sequence because "it's traditional". "Tradition" has become a blank cheque for people to do whatever they want based on their own personal interpretation of Church history and how that reflects on the Church today. They do not have that power, and that ideology is fundamentally incompatible with the Catholic Church.
  • tomjaw
    @Schönbergian This morning I was at our Cathedral providing servers (4 of my sons) for the regular TLM, we were all made most welcome. Benediction beforehand is now done mostly according to the old books. The staff at the Cathedral are delighted that they too can have the TLM, they kindly provided a lay clerk to sing the complete Ember day Mass.

Now reading your comment above because I only attend the TLM and am a traditionalist, I am seemingly against Canon Law and the Magisterium. Sadly you are wrong I have two letters from my Ordinary commending me on my service to the Catholic Church. I have only seen my parish priest (of an N.O. parish with TLM) really angry when I told him that someone on this forum said that I was not a full member of the Catholic Church.

I see that Canon Law is only a problem when YOU think that Traditionalist are not following it. Could you kindly list what laws are being broken.

When you judge Dr. Kwasniewski I can only think of the Pharisee and the Publican.

Most traditionalists care little for the Translation, some use the old hand Missals, others use the online guides, etc. Why do you care what translation someone uses? When I last attended the N.O. Mass 25 years ago I would follow the Mass in my old rite Missal, what harm am I doing?

The 1955 Holy week has been celebrated with express permission from Rome, did you get that memo? I do not remember getting a memo saying we have to stop!

The Dies Ire is the Sequence for the Requiem... and under the old GIRM, our cathedral choir would sing the old sequences as the hymn before the Gospel... Once again why do you care?

Your views are just your views, How do you know what Dr. Kwasniewski ordinary thinks of him? Why do you condemn him? What authority do you have?
    I would be far more worried about the number of people attending the Mass that do not believe in the Real presence, that are happy with sacrificing babies to baal, and seem to believe that 'marriage' is a temporary arrangement between two people that claim to love each other.
  • I mean, look, they didn't even do a psalm or Gradual and Tract at the funeral of the empress Zita; they simply did the Mozart Dies Irae. Cardinal Bartolucci recounted that he was told to do the Sequence on at least one occasion of the death of a cardinal in the 1970s, the others not understanding that the Sequence was no longer included. So it's not just trads who lament(-ed) the loss of the Sequence or who didn't care to check if it was abolished.

"Tradition" is not a blank check [sic] to do whatever we want; to do the traditional Holy Week is very simple. It is to celebrate Holy Week as it was in my grandparents' lifetime. For some of us, that is our parents' lifetimes and even the beginning of our own for the eldest contributors here. It's not that difficult to understand, and it is indeed very offensive to suggest that we are doing something wrong on the level of Protestantism or that to revert to the older form is somehow reverting to something which is actively harmful and worthy of suppression despite the bad scholarship underlying the 1955 reform, its total impracticality, and, on the other hand, the roots of over 1,000 years of the traditional form.

Frankly, I find this discussion deeply unpleasant. I'm not here to be bossed around, and while I can understand people making different decisions, they're not free to discern on my behalf, especially since I'm not a cleric who has promised obedience to his Ordinary. I would at least like the people bossing trads around to listen and to stop beating up on us when we're already taking a beating from Rome, the Catholic establishment and religious press, and, for many of us, our bishops and pastors.

I stand by every single one of my comments, because I'm tired of being told that I'm the crazy one, that libs and trads are bad but that trads are somehow worse such that we get punished and libs go unencumbered by anything.

@ServiamScores, you're completely right about the contempt of what was handed down. I recently read a post on a certain liberal blog about the lack of a color of Holy Saturday, which is a lacuna needing to be solved, as the preparatory rites for baptism (however deprived they are in the new rite) may be celebrated earlier in the day like in patristic and Carolingian times, and a stole is ordinarily worn for the choral office (this is a bad idea, but it's what the rubrics foresee). Not only did the contributors largely not understand how the color change of Holy Saturday worked prior to 1969, the Mass and vigil not being fully integrated (they never were!), they didn't know that the color (violet, for the baptismal rites of the morning and the vigil) was prescribed as far back as the 8th century and Ordo Romanus I. When told this, the major contributors simply dismissed it. That seems to be a small thing, but it exemplifies their contempt for what came before, the very same attitude about which the Secretariat of State warned Bugnini. We must continue to heed that warning.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • "Tradition" is not a blank check [sic] to do whatever we want; to do the traditional Holy Week is very simple. It is to celebrate Holy Week as it was in my grandparents' lifetime. For some of us, that is our parents' lifetimes and even the beginning of our own for the eldest contributors here.

You don't have the right in the Church to pick and choose which liturgical reforms you like, and you have never had that right.
    I would at least like the people bossing trads around to listen and to stop beating up on us when we're already taking a beating from Rome, the Catholic establishment and religious press, and, for many of us, our bishops and pastors.

If trads did any self-reflection at all, perhaps I would be more sympathetic. But when the problem seemingly extends to virtually the entire universe including most of the Catholic Church but never the traditionalist community, I have a hard time doing so.

I see that Canon Law is only a problem when YOU think that Traditionalist are not following it. Could you kindly list what laws are being broken.

I have already listed them, and the response was a rebuke that Canon Law was not given to us directly by Jesus or the Apostles, as if I were arguing with an evangelical.
    Why do you care what translation someone uses?

The Dies Ire is the Sequence for the Requiem... and under the old GIRM, our cathedral choir would sing the old sequences as the hymn before the Gospel... Once again why do you care?

Because we have rubrics for a reason, and if a "liberal" tried to re-translate part of the Mass or make a musical addition we all know this forum would be up in flames about it.
  • tomjaw
    @Schönbergian
    I can't find this list of laws I am supposed to have broken, please enlighten me. N.B. Canon law is a new thing and has been changed once already. What is law today could be gone tomorrow, I also note that Francis always follows rubrics and canon Law to the letter.
    As for translations we (in England and wales) have approved readings from either the Douay Rheims and the Knox. I don't understand your idea that we have to use a certain translation when our Mass is in the original Latin.
    Also you still have not answered my question as to what month of 1962 should we take the Missal and rubrics from?

As a scientist I am with Professor Feynman, "Why do you care what other people think". So your comments do not upset me (unlike others on the forum), So while I am interested in what others think and why, I do not care what they think.
  • I don't know what month, but I suggest the missal listed in last years catalog(ue) of LIBRERIA EDITRICE VATICANA is that defined as authoritative.
    Missale Romanum ex decreto SS. Concilii Tridentini restitutum Summorum Pontificum cura recognitum.
    Editio typica 1962, 2010, pp. 1.096 8357 210,00
    And I would say that even if that edition was not available in 1962, or the text not even first printed in 1962.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    Matthew: it's an overstatement (at least) to say your comments on that thread were "dismissed"; your comments came a month after the post was posted, and the "major contributors" as you deem them had moved on from the conversation about the topic.
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins
    So I presume December when Joseph was added to the Canon... I wonder if this is the FSSP edition that I supplied the text for? I would instead bet on the edition of June? that appears in the AAS! of course these editions are modified by the decrees Cum sanctissima and Quo magis. Note none of these editions were published in 1962!
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • Oh, we never had that right? Then the popes should have imposed the revised hymns of the breviary on everyone who refused to adopt them. They didn't. Now, Rome did interfere with the Carthusians, whose books have nevertheless not received full, final approval from the Holy See except for the missal. But that is extremely unusual in the history of the liturgy, and it never goes without severe opposition from the religious orders in question.

Schönbergian, we've been doing the self-reflection, and we were perfectly fine being left alone before Francis interfered. Yes, we'd be up in flames by innovating. Returning to tradition is different, and honestly, I'm starting to question your comprehension. You can disagree, but I don't think you can fail to understand without losing all credibility.

It's especially obnoxious to hear all of this on this forum of all places, where totally dyed-in-the-wool trads are in the minority.

Yeah, tomjaw's point about "which 1962 missal" is not a stupid, academic question, especially since the PCED never entirely followed the 1962 rubrics, even before its ordo featured what I call 1962 in the hands of the French: 1962 calendar, some pre-1960 elements.

@Liam, I didn't bring up that topic, actually, and I didn't say that my contributions were dismissed, now did I, but if you're going to post stuff on the internet and leave an open combox for a month, then you sort of have a duty to not post stupid, incorrect information with wildly bad reasoning to boot if you are going to accept comments and then not respond. There was a comment that correctly pushed back on the stupid reasoning less than a week after the original post went up, by the way.

So, maybe I mischaracterized the discussion. Honestly, whatever. If the experts cannot be held to rigorous standards, then where do we stand?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Like his first, the title of Richard Feynman's second memoir comes from a remark directed at him. He was abashed to learn he had acquired a reputation: "What do you care what other people think?"
  • MarkB
    It depends on who those other people are and what their character is whether I care what they think. The man who doesn't care what anybody else thinks about him is a sociopath and is quite possibly dangerous.
  • dad29
    I was once at an All Souls' Mass where the director programmed Dies irae as the bona fide Sequence because "it's traditional".

Is that exactly what he said, or did he program it under the rubric "alia aptus" which as you know is licit in the NO?
  • dad29
    Under Canon Law (perhaps it is 838) the Pope has total and complete authority over matters liturgical. He may delegate those powers to others, but he holds the keys.

That said, for a "Pope of mercy" to cut the legs out from under a noticeable group of fervent Catholics is an embarrassment to mercy itself, and would be to the Pope if he were anyone other than Bergoglio.

As to other matters? Bergoglio cannot reverse the Church's constantly-held position regarding the death penalty. The Pope cannot reverse the Church's constantly-held position that unrepentant sinners (such as those openly living in adultery) may NOT receive Communion except to their eternal condemnation.

And he cannot reverse the Church's constantly-held position on homosexual activity, nor may he licitly "bless" any sort of faux-marriage of homosexuals.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores

• Is that exactly what he said, or did he program it under the rubric "alia aptus" which as you know is licit in the NO?

It was programmed as a Sequence. If it were merely the latter in another section in the Mass which supports it, I would have no issue.
  • Schoenbergian,

I think there's some confusion (not that it's entirely surprising) because groups of people here are talking past each other, if I read the situation correctly.

First, Dad29 has very recently pointed out (correctly) that the Holy Father has total and complete authority over things liturgical. He's quite correct, but the idea he's correctly noting doesn't mean what some, perhaps you, think it means. The Holy Father can not contradict what the Church has always taught, so he can't require that during the sermon (or homily) on Easter the non-bodily non-resurrection of Christ will be preached , and alluded to on the other Sundays of the year. His lack of authority in this matter doesn't diminish the statement I've previously referenced. A university professor who required his students to say that pi = 4 exceeds the authority of his classroom and speaks pure nonsense. This isn't because he isn't the master of his classroom.

So, while the Holy Father has the authority to teach infallibly on matters of faith and doctrine, and has the authority to change discipline, theoretically without consultation, he can't require any Catholic to affirm the theological equivalent of 2+2=5.

I had a colleague years ago who required her students (especially the reluctant ones) to receive Holy Communion at every school Mass. I found this attitude incomprehensible at the time and haven't changed my assessment of it. If the Holy Father himself required a person to receive Holy Communion in such a manner, he would do so beyond his rightful authority.

On the subject of Canon Law, for what it's worth, Canon 915 goes mostly unenforced all over the Catholic world. Does the lack of enforcement by those higher in authority justify (or require) those not in such lofty position to distribute Holy Communion to contumacious public sinners?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores

• First, Dad29 has very recently pointed out (correctly) that the Holy Father has total and complete authority over things liturgical. He's quite correct, but the idea he's correctly noting doesn't mean what some, perhaps you, think it means. The Holy Father can not contradict what the Church has always taught, so he can't require that during the sermon (or homily) on Easter the non-bodily non-resurrection of Christ will be preached , and alluded to on the other Sundays of the year. His lack of authority in this matter doesn't diminish the statement I've previously referenced. A university professor who required his students to say that pi = 4 exceeds the authority of his classroom and speaks pure nonsense. This isn't because he isn't the master of his classroom.

I agree, Chris, but two points:
    1) Who makes the determination of whether or not it's nonsense? There is still debate on whether the changes of 1965, 1967, and 1970 are indeed enough to warrant the establishment of a new "rite" of the Church, for instance, yet some people here seem to take it as a foregone conclusion and reason from there. If we can't rely on the Magisterium to provide this guidance, who should we turn to?
    2) One of the prevailing views has been precisely that the Holy Father does not have power to alter the liturgy, whether that is through abrogation of a certain Missal, alteration of a Rite, or establishment of new norms. In fact, I have spoken to several self-proclaimed traditionalists who essentially argued that one could safely ignore anything the Pope said that's not ex cathedra. I find these viewpoints both contradictory of Church law and necessary to debunk before any further conversation is truly possible.

Schönbergian, we've been doing the self-reflection, and we were perfectly fine being left alone before Francis interfered. Yes, we'd be up in flames by innovating. Returning to tradition is different, and honestly, I'm starting to question your comprehension. You can disagree, but I don't think you can fail to understand without losing all credibility.

I'll say it one more time. When a personal interpretation of the Church's tradition (that is, not emanating from official Church channels) comes into conflict with established sources such as Canon Law or authentic teaching of the Magisterium, the personal interpretation does not take precedence. You could substitute "Scripture" for "Tradition" and have people running around saying that they're more Catholic than the Pope because they found some passage that invalidates a Church doctrine in their view. One should not be incredulous that the authorities started to look suspiciously at communities that were loudly and publicly trying to rules-lawyer themselves out of being subject to the Church.

At least with a liberal dissenter, they will acknowledge that they disagree with the Church's teaching on issue X. With many of these trads, they construct an argument that essentially portrays themselves as the only authentic Catholic voice, with the majority of Catholics and the Magisterium at odds with the true teaching.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    With many of these trads, they construct an argument that essentially portrays themselves as the only authentic Catholic voice, with the majority of Catholics and the Magisterium at odds with the true teaching.

I think so, too. The more vocal among them have, essentially, ruined things for the rest of them. The backlash was predictable.
  • dad29
    Cdl. Mueller's remarks on the recent Consistory are germane to this topic.

...critical contributions referred to the theory of the papacy as an unlimited power of divine right over the whole Church, as if the pope were a Deus in terris. The newly appointed Cardinal Ghirlanda, SJ, as the pope’s most important advisor on curial reform, holds the view that everything the popes have said or done in the course of Church history is either dogma or law de jure divino.

This view contradicts the entire Catholic tradition, and especially Vatican II, [which overcame the error] that bishops and priests only had authority to perform sacramental acts while the pope was in exclusive possession of all jurisdiction, which he could delegate at will to clergy or laity. In reality, in the sacrament of Holy Orders, Christ confers on the bishop (or priest) the authority to preach, sanctify, and govern, even to administer justice. The pope does not confer jurisdiction on a bishop, but only assigns a specific diocese to a bishop, who is not a representative of the papacy, but of Jesus Christ (Lumen Gentium 27). ...
    (Cf: https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2022/09/cardinal-muller-reveals-consistory.html)

So while at this time Canon law places plenary authority over the liturgy in the hands of the Pope, +Mueller's comment raises the question: is that the right position to hold?

We also know that the Bishop does have 'flexibility' in his application of Francis' New Law within his Diocese under Canon Law. That's a reflection of +Mueller's comment. Obviously, the question becomes one of 'balance' between the Church's apparent desire for a New Liturgical Order vs. the desire of many of Her faithful for the V.O.

The error of Rome here, IMHO, is clearly shown by the happy existence of other Rites within the Roman church. It should come as no surprise to any Catholic with a sense of history that Rome is occupied by venal, power-mad men; there is an analogy in D.C. Francis may or may not personally care about V.O. vs N.O.--but some several of his underlings do care, a lot, and are willing to 'excommunicate' good Catholics over this matter.

Again, if you do not see the parallels to D.C., you are not seeing well at all.
  • The error of Rome here, IMHO, is clearly shown by the happy existence of other Rites within the Roman church. It should come as no surprise to any Catholic with a sense of history that Rome is occupied by venal, power-mad men; there is an analogy in D.C. Francis may or may not personally care about V.O. vs N.O.--but some several of his underlings do care, a lot, and are willing to 'excommunicate' good Catholics over this matter.

I agree, but two points:
    1) It's not at all settled that the pre-conciliar Rite and the post-conciliar were ever envisaged as two separate rites that were meant to co-exist. Perhaps that should be the case, but it currently is not and many of us do not see clear enough differences to warrant the creation of such.
    2) I guarantee that if the loudest, most prominent, and most respected Byzantine, Maronite, or especially Ordinariate voices were as aggressively indignant as the likes of Kwasniewski, Marshall, or Viganò, the "happy existence" that you describe would pretty much cease to exist. I would be more sympathetic if it seemed like there was any real pushback from the masses on the antics of these figures (like Fr. Zuhlsdorf livestreaming the rite of exorcism every day to reverse the results of the 2020 US election), but I haven't seen it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I’ve tried to keep my head down as much in this conversation as possible; it has certainly had its moments of toxicity and it really seems a bit of trench warfare, but…

I find it strange that people don’t seem to see the very apparent contradictions in the modern church, and seem to have more fealty to the living than the dead (and by “dead” I actually mean those living in heaven). That is to say: such persons seem eager to do whatever they are called upon to do no matter how bizarre or novel, rather than pausing and daring to question whether or not those requests go against tradition and teachings since time immemorial—something St. Paul himself commanded us to do in strongest terms.

We must also remember that when rites were suppressed in the past, it was because they were novel, not because they were ancient. The current situation is a perfect inversion of this principal—something that should trouble us deeply. In the past, that which was ancient and came from the fathers was treasured and guarded, and anything that was novel was treated with an eye of suspicion. Now, not only is that which is ancient attacked, it is outright verboten. You can speak until you’re blue in the face, but you’ll never be able to justify this perfect inversion and sell it to me as a ‘good’.

At the time of Trent, rites had to be at least two centuries old to be kept, and here we are only 50 years in to the novus ordo experiment. Considering the rather glacial speed at which the church tends to act, it seems imprudent to insist upon vetoing the old rite in the name of ‘obedience’. I’d like to think that we are actually capable of obedience on a higher order, and to a Tradition that actually exceeds the pontiffs of living memory.
  • dad29
    Byzantine, Maronite

I was thinking Mozarabic, Ambrosian, Carthusian, actually. Was it "settled" that they should co-exist with the E.F. back in the day? Or did the exist, supported by a noticeable group of priests, Bishops, and pew-sitters, so Rome simply said "Let it be."

You (and many?) may not 'see enough differences' between the NO and the EF, but even I--who have been very up-close and personal with both and am perfectly comfortable with either--do see them, particularly in the beginning, the middle, and the end. (Foot of the altar, Offertory, Last Gospel.) And yes, I know--there are dozens of other serious but not LARGE differences in the rubrics. To be more aggressive: who cares what YOU think?

You set standards which are.........silly. I am not, nor is anyone else, going to en masse rebuke +Vigano, K, Marshall, or Z, nor should Rome (and Cupich) show its girly-girl super-sensitivity over these people. What they should care about is the smelly sheep. (But maybe that flap-jaw about smelly sheep is just for the press?)

By the way, +Vigano's arguments, both on the civil and religious plains, make a lot more sense than do the Little Authoritarian proclamations emanating from Rome (and Chicago, and Virginia.) It would be nice if the latter set of prelates were to engage the arguments rather than stamp their widdle feets, ya'know.
  • Who makes the determination of whether or not it's nonsense?

Thank you for phrasing this so appropriately.

The answer, alas, is "it depends on what is in question".

If the next Holy Father happens to be a Cardinal from Belgium, his full authority over the liturgy will not permit him to draw up or to propose/impose on the Church a new rite for the blessing of Sodomyor the Sacrament of Sodomite Conjugation. The problem isn't the Holy Father's authority, but the object (the thing on which he would be attempting to act). Why? Simple: the Church has no authority to bless sin, nor can she unite in marriage two people who can't be married to each other. This doesn't depend on a consistory of cardinals, for the fact that marriage is the union of a man and a woman for purpose of begetting and raising children is available to mere human reason. She can't make abortion a Sacrament either, because the intentional destruction of innocent life is objectively wrong, and the fact of that truth is available to mere human reason.

It's not a stretch to say that if the Holy Father were to propose an anthropocentric rite for the ostensible celebration of Mass, so that the creature worshiped man, rather than God, this would be beyond the authority of the Holy Father, without hindering or diminishing in any way the Holy Father's authority of things liturgical.

Does that help you understand?