Did Vatican II Open The Floodgates?
  • tomjaw
    I would dare to venture that there would not be so many liturgical enthusiasts - nay, even traditionalists - if it were not for the use of the vernacular in the last 50 years. In hearing the liturgy in their own language, so many have gained a deeper understanding of the liturgy in which they participate, and this has spurred them on to learn more and more.

Well in one way you are correct thanks to the vernacular liturgy, we have gained many Traditionalists. They have looked at the 3 old women acting out a scene from MacBeth, and decided to leave!

I can't think of any traditionalist that was inspired by the vernacular N.O. Liturgy, to deepen their understanding of Liturgy. We also have the next generation that have never attended the vernacular Liturgy, I have not been for 25 years or so and my 8 children have never been to the vernacular liturgy.

If you are interested in Liturgy you have most likely gained it from attending the TLM.
  • GerardH
    If you are interested in Liturgy you have most likely gained it from attending the TLM.

Ah well, I am one example to the contrary. But I don't claim that is a good sample size.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    Not I! I was taught about the liturgy in the 1950s, and I served Mass weekly until 1963. But it was not until vernacularisation that I could listen to the prayers. And the three/two year cycle of readings opened up the scripture amazingly. It is one thing to be taught about typology, and the way in which the Gospel authors, and the liturgy, deploy it. Quite another to hear the Old testament and relate it directly to the New.
  • CharlesW
    I know I'm a bit cynical, but I seriously doubt most folks attending the TLM before it became anything extraordinary had any real understanding of the mass texts. They recognized significant points in the liturgy but I suspect many just had their minds elsewhere and were there to satisfy their "obligation" for Sundays and Holy Days. Even with the vernacular, the obligation thing hasn't really changed. How many are even paying attention now?
  • Charles,

I recognize the temptation to cynicism, but I don't think at least parts of what you say in this most recent post constitute cynicism. It might be bad history, just as the "mute spectators" canard is, but when modern man is distractable in a superlative degree -- and has been trained to be so, mind you -- it wouldn't be surprising if many people had their minds elsewhere.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • ServiamScores
    I learned much, and was spurred on to study the liturgy precisely because I was so reviled by some of the absolutely horrendous N.O. liturgies in which I was forced to take part. My basic “sensus fidelium” was sounding alarm left, right, and center! This was long-before I ever set foot at a TLM (which was a revelation).
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    and this has spurred them on to learn more and more.

Apparently by attending Mass less and less, according to Pew and our Bishops.

• a_f_hawkins
    CharlesW - Indeed "most folks attending the TLM before it became anything extraordinary" had little or no awareness of the Mass texts. They came because they were pious Catholics and the Church said they must. Their piety was sustained mainly by seeing themselves as members of the Catholic community, and to a greater or lesser extent by personal prayer and devotion. They did not own Missals, probably not Bibles, since the Church had for centuries discouraged that for fear of 'private interpretation'. And they got their morality from the consensus of other members of their Catholic community, and maybe the pocket catechism given them at school, not directly from hearing the teachings of Our Lord (at least once they had left school).
  • dad29
    most folks attending the TLM before it became anything extraordinary" had little or no awareness of the Mass texts

And, gee, lots of them earned salvation--which is the principal goal, amiright?

Imagine that!! They did it without the vernacular, without singing, without stand/sit/kneel/jump........

Huh.
  • CharlesW
    The church could have allowed the vernacular centuries earlier. At Trent, it was more interested in not going along with the Protestants on anything.

I think with some Trads today, the language, vestments, gestures serve to make them feel special and elite. It isn't about worship. Exceptions abound, but I think all true with too many. On the music, I am often in total agreement with them even though I would be the first to admit chant can become tedious and tiring.

So now God is telling you who earned salvation? If true, I have a long list of petitions to send you to take up with Him. ;-) ;-)
  • Liam
    Trent left it to the Pope to permit the vernacular, and it was done in Bohemia for a while.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    It was one of the things Protestants asked for along with vernacular scriptures. The time for negotiation and compromise passed and both camps hardened their positions over time.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I had never realised that, as Liam asserts, Trent left the vernacular matter up to the pope. I do know that there were many bishops from all over, particularly the Germanies, and quite a few even in Italy, who wanted vernacular and the council just wouldn't hear of it - and probably wouldn't have heard of it even if it hadn't been dismissed as a Protestant thing. People in those days were burned at the stake even for translating the Bible into various vernaculars. It may seem at times that the Church has always had an existential and aristocratic aversion to 'the people' knowing too much or being too literate in scriptural and doctrinal matters. This persists even today, even after the glorious Vatican II, as evidenced in the sort of music that 'the people' have been force fed since the council (since 'the people' were now expected to 'participate' in the mass they were given junk to participate in) - not to mention the poor catechesis and often heresy in and out of seminaries. At no time in history would any such music and liturgy have been countenanced. But I will repeat yet again that this is not the council's fault, but that of those who left the council and had no intention of obeying its precepts.
  • tomjaw
    People in those days were burned at the stake even for translating the Bible into various vernaculars.

While books continue to propagate this, it is not wholly true, St. Bede and Alfred the Great among others were able to freely translate the Bible into old English. The Church has written about the value of the Douay Rheims Englishing of the Vulgate.

The first thing to ask is,
    Q. How many people who could read and afford books, could not read Latin fluently in the following centuries? 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600...

So can we see a pattern that the Douay Rheims NT 1582 and OT 1609-1610, was published at a time when a growing number of those that could read, could read in their native tongue, but not in Latin. Although it should be noted that the language of education (and Science) remained Latin for centuries.

We also have the lives of the saints that tell us that they would read and explain the scriptures in the vernacular of the (unlettered) people.

As for translators that were 'burned at the stake'...
    John Wycliffe, died within in the church while saying Mass, he was excommunicated 30 years after his death (his corpse was exhumed and burned), it should be noted that one of his ideas was to do away with the hierarchy!
    William Tyndale, was strangled and his body burned, remember among other things he denounced the practice of prayer to the saints! It should also be remembered St. Thomas More's comments about his translation. It should also be noted that corrected versions of his translation later appeared in later English bibles.
  • Thanks for the corrections.
    I should have taken such into mind.
    Actually, I have always wanted a copy of Bede's translation.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • rich_enough
    But I will repeat yet again that this is not the council's fault, but that of those who left the council and had no intention of obeying its precepts.

And I will repeat yet again that "the Council" cannot be limited to the texts and separated from its implementation.

It's not that I want Vatican II to "go away" or wish it never happened. It's just that any enterprise where those trying to implement its real intention are ignored, demoted, and squashed by the very people who launched it, while those intent on disobeying it are officially encouraged, lionized, and celebrated, and where the exact opposite of the original plan has been realized (and in some cases officially sanctioned), can only be considered a failure.

Was this the fault of the original enterprise? Let's say the founding document was articulated perfectly, reasoned impeccably, and was faultless in its principles and exposition. Does it matter? Because by this point the original intent has been lost, except on paper.
  • Liam
    MJO

The relevant canons from Session XXII of Trent in 1562 were more limited than is often remembered:

"Although the Mass contains much instruction for the faithful people, it did not seem to the Fathers expedient, however, that it be celebrated indiscriminately/everywhere in the vernacular.” [That is not a prohibition on the vernacular being permitted discriminately, as it were.]

And the Council only anathematized anyone maintaining that “the rite of the Roman Church, in which part of the Canon and the words of consecration are pronounced in a low voice, is to be condemned, or that the Mass *must be celebrated only* in the vernacular.” [emphasis added - in other words, what's anathematized is (a) condemnation of the then-current Roman Rite Mass, and (b) the assertion that the Mass cannot be celebrated in Latin]
  • Jackson,

I'm afraid the "it's not the Council" argument won't wash. The periti who crafted the documents for the bishops (especially on Liturgy) were then given (by His Holiness, no less) the task of implementing the very documents they had crafted. The bishops voted to approve (by wide margins) these documents. There is some evidence that the relators lied to the bishops, or at least allowed them to believe that the ambiguous passages should be understood in whatever way would allow them to pass, regardless of how they would be implemented.

Thanked by 2KARU27 RedPop4
  • MarkB
    I think with some Trads today, the language, vestments, gestures serve to make them feel special and elite. It isn't about worship. Exceptions abound, but I think all true with too many.

Hmm... thinking of Peter Kwasniewski? I did.

If a trad disparages the Novus Ordo and Vatican II, that's a dead giveaway for me.

If someone prefers the TLM, fine. If someone thinks the Novus Ordo is going to die out, I think he's wrong. If someone thinks the Novus Ordo and Vatican II were in themselves errors that need to be reversed, I think he's borderline schismatic.
  • Mark,
    That's an unfair assessment of Dr. K.

With a tiny percentage of people who call themselves traditionalists there may be outright fraud -- that is, they don't actually care about worship of God, but merely want to feel as if they are part of some elite force. The vast majority, though, want to worship God without having to be pummeled into accepting [pick something which comes in with the Ordo of Paul VI; it varies from person to person] which grates against a truly Catholic understanding of the world.
  • dad29
    Charles, the Church has named hundreds of pre-Vat2 saints, for starters. I would suggest that there are more who earned salvation besides those--but none who are Greek Ortho. come to mind.

I have a long list of petitions to send you to take up with Him. ;-) ;-)

I'll consider it. How much cash can you send?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw RedPop4
  • dad29
    It may seem at times that the Church has always had an existential and aristocratic aversion to 'the people' knowing too much or being too literate in scriptural and doctrinal matters.

You have documentation for those claims, of course?

People were burned at the stake for BADLY translating Scripture, friend.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • dad29
    How many are even paying attention now?

Percentage-wise, the same number as were paying attention then. The nature of humanity never changes.
  • dad29
    I served Mass weekly until 1963. But it was not until vernacularisation that I could listen to the prayers.

Having served Mass daily AND weekly from mid-'50's thru '63, I'm a bit curious. Of course you didn't read the english translation during the Masses you served--but didn't you have access to a hand-missal from your liturgical training?
  • CharlesW

I'll consider it. How much cash can you send?

I will send your name to the President since he seems to be in a giving mood at the moment.

I would suggest that there are more who earned salvation besides those--but none who are Greek Ortho. come to mind.

Before the 11th century, all the eastern saints are recognized both east and west. Even today, the west generally accepts the saints of the other churches without question. And they were not even Trads! Go figure.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    People were burned at the stake for BADLY translating Scripture, friend.
    Luckily church musicians are never accused of doing anything BADLY. But in fact a William Butler in 1401 "condemned the lawfulness of all vernacular translations of the Bible", allowing them only for the uncatechised:
    'Therefore, though it might have been politic that the common people, in whatsoever nation they were, might have read holy scripture, when only few of that tongue were converted to the faith: it does not therefore follow that it would now be politic in the same nation for all in the same manner to be able to read scripture, as when the faith was being made known to catechumens.
  • a_f_hawkins
    In England the civil law De Haeretico comburendo of 1401 provided for the burning of heretics. The ecclesiastical law of the Province of Canterbury was amended in the 1407 Constitutions of Oxford, to make reading (without authorisation from your bishop) a vernacular translation of the Bible a mark of heresy.
  • tomjaw
    A Latin determination of the regent (or officially lecturing) master, the Franciscan, William Butler. This was delivered in the schools at Oxford in 1401, and condemned the lawfulness of all vernacular translations of the Bible. Butler became warden of the Oxford Franciscans about 1406-8.
    Friar Butler gave it as his 'principal' argument against translations, that God had appointed different orders in His Church, and that it was the function of the clergy to instruct the laity verbally in what was necessary to salvation, including as much of the scriptures as was needed for that end.

What is wrong with this statement, I will paraphrase the above as, "The educated should teach the uneducated". I will also point out that the term laity, will be those not in minor orders, and we have plenty of evidence that many young men were in some degree of minor orders.

Also I am still wondering how vernacular translations of the bible would help anyone in 1400. Also what was the vernacular in England in 1400? Middle English or Anglo-Norman and what about the languages spoken in the north, and the west (including Welsh).

The language of record was Latin and Old English before the conquest, and after the conquest Anglo-Norman replaced old English as a language of record. It was perfectly normal to be tri- or bi-lingual in Mediaeval England

Hundreds of years later, the western uprising against the imposition of the Book of Common prayer was partly fuelled by the fact that most people in Cornwall and Devonshire, did not speak 'English'.

@a_f_hawkins I believe you are residing in the diocese of Sodor and Man. They spoke Manx, not English. A Manx bible being published by Anglican clergymen by 1775, with Anglican church services held in Manx up unto the late 19th century.
  • dad29
    I will send your name to the President

Acquaintance with me will earn you a visit from the FBI. Then you'll blow your "stimulus" on bail.

Actually, anyone sainted before 1100 AD was--emphatically--a Trad. That would be about...what....865 years prior to The Troubles.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • dad29
    In England the civil law De Haeretico comburendo of 1401 provided for the burning of heretics. The ecclesiastical law of the Province of Canterbury was amended in the 1407 Constitutions of Oxford,

The reasons for the Revolution of 1776 pile higher and deeper daily.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • Sorry, but I must express some nuance to the 'reasons... which pile higher and deeper daily'.
    I know that I will represent a minority view of this on our Forum, but there is more to this rebellious so-called 'revolution' than meets the eye or has ever been reckoned with. I'm sorry to ruffle feathers, but below the surface is a lot of ugliness in not-so-pure motives.

This country, which for going on three centuries has been a magnet for all those worldwide who seek 'the pursuit of happiness' and a more human life, literally would not exist or have been thought of but for England and European thought. It is notable that less than ten percent of the American colonists have been said to have supported or fought in the 'Revolution'. In spite of our highly sterilized view of our history, we shouldn't forget that among the reasons for the rebellion of 1776 and its lofty cries for 'freedom' was the dread fear of the talk in England of outlawing slavery (which it did decades before the US), the ravenous desire for commercial speculation of the vast Indian territories which laid beyond the Alleghenies, and more such travesties than have ever been taught with a guilty conscience in American history classes. These poor and abused self styled freedom heroes' first act was to appropriate the property of all who had been Tories and drive them in their thousands out to Canada, which, like Texas, they had a lust for and tried more than once to annex. The colonists constantly stirred up trouble with the Indians, trampled on treaties which England had made with them, and then thought it an outrage that they were expected to be taxed like everyone else to pay for the soldiers England had to send to put them down. It is also worthy of emphasis the the 'heroic' onward route from the Mississippi to the Pacific was littered with massacred and dispossessed Indians. Yes, there were a number of these Founding Fathers who left us with admirable texts about universal human rights (a concept the development of which was unique to the Catholic faith) based upon Classical, Humanist, and Enlightenment philosophy (all of which have their origins in Greek, Roman, and European thought), not to mention some peculiarly English traditions of government, but underneath was their brazen enslavement of Africans, their near elimination of the Amerind, its own overseas 'colonialism', its own annexations of the lands of its neighbors, and more. It is notable that this country was the very last great power to abolish slavery - and had to fight a civil war in order to do so. (To be fair, though, it was powerful African tribes' constant warring on weaker ones, who sold their neighbors into slavery to anyone - and Europeans and Americans were far from the only ones - who would buy them.)

Yes, the world would be a far more dangerous and less civilized, and less Christian place today if it weren't for the Pax Americana. It wouldn't have survived, though, had the Pax Britannica which preceded it not been there (warts and all) making the world safe for western civilization, the philosophy behind it, and (at least the notion of) universal human rights and the inalienable dignity of every human being to flourish.

I'm, as all of us are, thankful for all the cornucopia of good that the world receives from this great nation, but we should not deceive ourselves by ignoring the shameful aspects of our history and their whitewashed motivations - much of which infects our society to this day. Our own ancien regime is alive and well today in the minds of an astonishing number or our current population in and out of the south. One notes with disappointment that there are more than half a dozen countries - some of them monarchies! - that today rank higher on the democracy scale than our homeland. There is always work to do, always our own hearts to search.

Meanwhile, back to Vatican II and the floodgates.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • CharlesW
    Relax, dad29, I am no threat to you and am only poking a little fun in your direction. Don't take everything so seriously.

I never heard the term "trad" used until recent times. Before roughly 1970, there were Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants. None of them really seemed to get along. However, I would think we could all not waste our time nitpicking over each other's saints. Surely, we could accept each other's saints without question.

Actually, anyone sainted before 1100 AD was--emphatically--a Trad. That would be about...what....865 years prior to The Troubles.

I don't think there was a formal canonization process in place at that time. Saints were proclaimed by acclamation which is still the case in some of the eastern churches.

And, one notes with disappointment that there are half a dozen or so countries that today rank higher on the democracy scale than our homeland.

Jackson, some think of the U.S as a democracy. It isn't. It is a representative republic. One could actually think that it was the ideal 18th-century Masonic republic. There was plenty of bad behavior to go around on all sides. At the time, what was essentially the British plantation system could not have operated without slave labor. The machinery available was too primitive to replace all the manual labor involved in creating wealth for the owners of those giant farms. Even without the Civil War slavery may have been near its last legs. The development of steam machinery and eventually the devastation caused by the boll weevil killed off the cotton crops and the plantations. While slavery was reprehensible, it wasn't invented in the U.S. It had existed for thousands of years and some accounts say it still exists in the near east and perhaps other places. Some at the time of the revolution, such as James Madison, condemned slavery in the strongest terms, so everyone was not on board with it.
  • Quite right, Charles!
    I once read a doctoral thesis on the topic of the post civil war economy of the American south. Contrary to the existential fears of southerners, their economy flourished ten-fold after the abolition of the slaves which they thought that they couldn't live without. It was industrialization which brought this about. Still though, it is notable that to this day some of the poorest of our states are southern ones... our own anciem regime is far from dead, not only in the south, but elsewhere, in the minds of an astonishing number of our current population.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • a_f_hawkins
    Did not Aquinas say that slavery/serfdom is universal among societies "I can't see how it is right, but as it is everywhere, I suppose it must be ok." (my paraphrase)
  • dad29
    There is "benign" slavery and "malign" slavery. In fact, the term "slave" is often applied to man-servants who were rather well-taken-care of by their 'masters'--often these were foundlings who otherwise would die in the streets. That was in the Olden Times of Rome, Athens, and some parts of the Middle East.

It's complicated. There were a lot of slaves who fought FOR the South, which indicates that they were not totally unhappy there.

The offense lies mostly in the concept of chattel slavery--that is, property--which was predominant in the US.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • dad29
    I am no threat to you and am only poking a little fun in your direction. Don't take everything so seriously.

Relax, yourself, Charles. I never considered you to be a threat to houseflies, much less moi.

Nice evasion on the 865 years part, though.
  • CharlesW
    I read recently that the majority of African slaves were sent to Brazil, not the U.S. One would think, given the current over-politicized hype, that the U.S. was the world leader in the slave trade.

Slaves were expensive. I have an old study from, I think, the University of Texas converting slave costs into 2009 U.S. dollar equivalents. Some skilled slaves could cost $50,000 or more. Then there were the costs for housing and feeding them. The multi-millionaire planters were about the only ones who could afford many slaves.
  • CharlesW
    Nice evasion on the 865 years part, though.

No evasion. "Trad" is a relatively new designation. As I mentioned, I first heard the term after the NO was introduced - mostly after 1970. They were just called "Catholics" before then. Now there is the "rad-Trad" term which seems another animal. Some degree of political affiliation seems to have gotten included in people identified by the "rad-trad" term.
  • Jackson,

In Texas, is the Civil War the one which caused you to leave Mexico, or the one fought over whether the other Confederate States could leave the Union (since Texas wrote an escape clause into one of the drafts of its constitution (but I'm not sure if that dates from 1840s or not))?
  • dad29
    I am no threat to you and am only poking a little fun in your direction.

By the way, you also mis-read my comment. Should the Feebs find that you know me, YOU will become suspected of mal- or mis-feasance, or perhaps terroristic inclinations. At the very least? Keeping bad-think company.

Got it?

As to "Trad,"--that's short for "Traditionalist." Surely the pre-1100AD saints were Traditionalists. They STARTED or LIVED IN the Tradition.

But YMMV.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • dad29
    we shouldn't forget that among the reasons for the rebellion of 1776 and its lofty cries for 'freedom' was the dread fear of the talk in England of outlawing slavery (which it did decades before the US), the ravenous desire for commercial speculation of the vast Indian territories which laid beyond the Alleghenies, and more such travesties than have ever been taught with a guilty conscience in American history classes.

So Original Sin was still in effect, having come over from England!
  • CharlesW
    In a sense they were traditionalists in that they were Catholic and part of the universal church. However, those traditions have changed since the first 1,000 years. Those saints lived in the tradition of their time. Now we almost have too many traditions.
  • CharlesW
    the ravenous desire for commercial speculation of the vast Indian territories which laid beyond the Alleghenies, and more such travesties than have ever been taught with a guilty conscience in American history classes.

I find the differences between the French and English significant. The French came to trade and had friendly relations with the Indians. The English came to stay and keep territory.

By the way, you also mis-read my comment. Should the Feebs find that you know me, YOU will become suspected of mal- or mis-feasance, or perhaps terroristic inclinations.

I have spent nearly 30 years employed by two federal agencies. I am still with one of them part-time. I know well how they operate and sometimes don't. LOL.
  • ServiamScores
    My, my, this thread has taken a turn!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW RedPop4
  • CharlesW
    What were we discussing originally? LOL
  • Liam
    "There were a lot of slaves who fought FOR the South,"

That would be more or less a myth. The CSA had a horror of permitting slaves to bear arms (wonder why?), and legislation to permit enslaved in the CSA's armies only passed 4 weeks before the end of the war as a last-ditch emergency measure. The enslaved that were enlisted largely did so at the direction of their owners, since manumission was *not* promised by the CSA to those who did so (unlike British undertakings in the War of Independence). The Lost Cause narratives really are gaseous emanations of decay at this point.

Anyway, Vatican II did not open floodgates.

• dad29
    Liam, that would be nice--if it were true.

Professor Ed Smith, director of American Studies at American University, says Stonewall Jackson had 3,000 fully equipped black troops scattered throughout his corps at Antietam - the war's bloodiest battle. Mr. Smith calculates that between 60,000 and 93,000 blacks served the Confederacy in some capacity.

See: https://civilwarhome.com/blacks.htm

It's complicated, friend. Don't pretend otherwise.
  • francis
    Archbishop Viganò: I don’t see how one can maintain that there is a presumed orthodox Vatican II that no one has talked about for years, betrayed by a spirit of the Council that everyone also praised. The spirit of the Council is what animates it, what determines its nature, particularity, characteristics. And if the spirit is heterodox while the conciliar texts do not seem to be doctrinally heretical, this is to be attributed to a shrewd move by the conspirators, to the naiveté of the Council Fathers, and to the complicity of those who preferred to look elsewhere, from the beginning, rather than take a stand with a clear condemnation of doctrinal, moral and liturgical deviations.

See more in new thread about recent interview with Archbishop Vigano. This is a rather direct opposing view to the idea that the docs of VII are in themself sound.
  • Liam
    dad29

Among other things.... https://deadconfederates.com/2012/06/20/stonewall-jacksons-regiment-of-free-negroes/

Meanwhile, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
  • MatthewRoth
    going back to some of the earlier comments: it's increasingly clear to me that one can object to not only specific precepts in the constitution on the sacred liturgy, such as the abolition of Prime, but the actual text of the generalized instructions such as the use of the vernacular, the revision of certain books, etc. At some point, one has to admit that the disobedience can't be stopped when your source texts don't put any clear and express limits on the changes, or when the limits are mostly a matter of prudence baked into the law, such as keeping much of the priest's parts and the quiet parts in Latin. In any case, Paul VI used Italian for everything he could fifty-six years ago this month; should one be surprised, therefore, by everyone else doing the same? How can this actually go against the council if the pope is the one doing it? Isn't his interpretation supposed to matter? In any case, he tried to stop religious with choral obligations from using the vernacular office, only to cave a few years later.

And to the point about the Ordinariate: I'm not buying it, not with the lectionary being the new one, which has virtually no relationship to the old, an express violation of the conciliar mandate nevertheless ratified by the church.