Dedication of Christ Cathedral in Orange, CA
  • CharlesW
    I'm afraid Dr. K has marginalized himself as some kind of Trad extremist. He did it to himself and no cabal or masonic conspiracy plotted against him. His credibility is slipping. The thing to remember is that he does not speak for the Church.
  • Well, of course the Diocese's response would be weak. The Crystal Cathedral is impossible to actually defend - at best, it's a mediocre fit for the liturgy of the Roman Rite. It's like trying to give the Mass of Christ the Saviour a top-tier, Duruflé-inspired Gregorian accompaniment - at the end of the day, you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
  • tomjaw
    The other test is, "By their fruits you will know them" lets see the fruits of the new Cathedral... and more importantly look into the works of the people that have redesigned it.
  • francis
    I don't think it's appropriate to call the orthodoxy of my faith into question
    ?
  • tomjaw
    Dear Francis,

If you are worried about the Orthodoxy of people on this Forum, perhaps spending your time praying this will be a better use of your time.
    Prayer from the 1909 English 6th? ed. of The Raccolta, originally published in 1866.
    Prayer for the Conversion of Freemasons.
    100 days, once a day. ( Partial indulgence )
    Leo XIII, Br. August 16, 1898.
    O Lord Jesus Christ, who showest forth thy omnipotence most manifestly when Thou sparest and hast compassion; Thou who didst say, "Pray for those who persecute and calumniate you," we implore the clemency of thy Sacred Heart on behalf of souls, made in the image of God, but most miserably deceived by the treacherous snares of Freemasons, and going more and more astray in the way of perdition. Let not the Church thy spouse, any longer be oppressed by them; but, appeased by the intercession of the blessed Virgin thy Mother and the prayers of the just, be mindful of thy infinite mercy; and, disregarding their perversity, cause these very men to return to Thee, that they may bring consolation to the Church by a most abundant penance, make reparation for their misdeeds, and secure for themselves a glorious eternity; who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

N.B. Paul VI may have removed the indulgence along with many others.
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • Liam
    Almost? Hmm.
  • chonakchonak
    Indeed, no one should impugn the orthodoxy of other users. As the Forum Etiquette Guidelines (peace be upon them) say:
    Do Not Defame
    Members may not level insinuations of heresy, bad faith, or criminality against members;
  • OK, which, then, of K's criticisms deserve to be seriously? Certainly I loose any appetite for re-reading by the time I get as far as:
    a large-scale bas relief of Creation, Adam and Eve, the Tree, and the Serpent across their immense horizontal width. This first encounter with the “symbols” of Christ Cathedral sets the stage for a tour of unease, tension, and even creepiness.
  • Those (plural) of you who would ascribe to stupidity that which to Dr. K seems to be malice.... haven't read Annibale Bugnini's book.
  • chonakchonak
    Can you explain the logic behind that?

Does Bugnini's account of his maneuverings allow you or me to draw conclusions about other people's motivations?
  • ...allow...to draw conclusions..
    I have read neither (A) Bugnini, nor (B) Kwasnewski, but have seen on this Forum a number of presentations about (C) the cathedral in question, and I would propose that insofar as one could see, relative to Chris's assertion, the fruit of A in C would be enough to conclude that there is some connexion. On the other hand, those who do 'ascribe to stupidity that which... seems to be malice' may (or could) be correct. Ditto those who ascribe to malice what is mere stupidity.

I have heard Bishop Vann a number of times and would never think that his love of our Lord and of the faith was any other than genuine and orthodox (which makes it all the more astonishing that he is responsible for what is now his cathedral church). Bugniniesque or not, the all-encompassing fault of this colourless building, aside from a quite genuine plus here and there, is that it is a graceless architectural monstrosity which has no soul.
  • Chonak,

When Bugnini asserts that (in spite of the strong admonition from the Council Fathers to the contrary) there simply is no case for continuing Latin, since the addressee needs to be able to understand what is being said to him, stupidity can't adequately explain it. I don't know about other people's motivations, if you mean the renovation committee at Christ Cathedral. Michael Rose documents a process he calls the Renovation Manipulation, in which the new design of a church is intentionally to look as little as a Catholic church as possible because the ideas of the past simply can't inform anything we do.....so stupidity is insufficient as an explanation.
  • chonakchonak
    One thing that has bothered me about the discussion of the Orange cathedral is the use of images. The photo on the left, from a newspaper story, seems to use some specialized lens to achieve a dramatic effect, but it distorts the appearance of objects.

Comparing that photo with the image on the right, it's clear that the candle-stands and the altar are really designed with simple vertical lines, but are portrayed as weirdly inclining. Also, the walls are vertical, but are made to appear as if they were raked or tilted.
    image image

The distorted image on the left has been part of discussion about the cathedral: Dr. K. used it to represent the sanctuary. The image fit with the narrative of his suspicions, and perhaps it even influenced them. I expect that it helped propagate those suspicions.
    577 x 384 - 85K
    577 x 480 - 54K
  • Although these pavement lights are not particularly attractive, there is ample historical precedent for such lights. We have them here in the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, and in the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham. Walsingham's are of brass, are very attractive and historic in appearance; those at the co-cathedral look like something out of Star Trek. The moral is: don't fault pavement lights as such, but the particular design of these, which appear to represent something from an imagined galaxy far, far away - a common enough pitfall for designers who are trying to be 'modern'.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    PK's article portrays them as a sign of Masonic influence.
  • To me, it seems like conscious decisions were made to pay lip service to traditional Catholic artistic norms while realizing them in the most banal and modernist ways possible. Nothing is particularly wrong, and little can be pointed to that is an outright abuse - but I still retain a funny feeling when looking at these images, like it's only superficially a Catholic church.
  • Stupidity asks questions such as this one, from the FDLC: What are we doing wrong, that people still want Benediction.

Malice, surely, is more along these lines: I know what the Church has always said, but I want to do it differently. Therefore, to hell with the Church. I did it MY way.

Remember: "I did it my way" is the national anthem of Hell.
    Thanked by 3MarkB tomjaw CatherineS
  • chonakchonak
    to pay lip service to traditional Catholic artistic norms while realizing them in the most banal and modernist ways possible

A fair description. Given that they were stuck with this modern building by the outgoing bishop, I think it was almost inevitable that they would have to make a "modernist" interior compatible with it. Could it have been done better?

What would improve the sanctuary? Perhaps a baldachino with a cloth canopy instead of the grille work above the altar? Something to offset the use of hard materials and boxy shapes might be a welcome relief.
  • CharlesW
    It is a 20th-century building that looks - surprise and shock - like a 20th-century building. What were some of you expecting, a Rococo interior? Get real, folks.
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • You know what is overlooked as a fun solution? The 'church inside a church' structure. Like Saint Francis's little chapel, or the Holy House of Loreto. Given a cavernous modernist space, build a traditional church within it, or the elements thereof?

I am fascinated watching two hideously modern "empty concrete box" style churches near me be slowly returned to an approximation of traditional baroque architecture. Each year the congregation adds more decoration, in gilded wood or by buying antiques, so that the bare box for the statue of Our Lady is now framed in gold; the abstract Stations of the Cross replaced with Italian-style ceramic ones with life-like relief figures; antique statuary begins to fill the perimeter where in an old church there would be side altars, and so on. And the people are so happy!

I've only heard one common lay person ever praise a modern-style church - a cab driver who dropped me off at one said "I love that church! It's so bright inside! I hate dark gloomy churches!" Since most of the modern ones are lit brightly enough to give you tan, I see his point. It's a tropical country, and apparently people like sunshine. In my homeland in the north people value 'mood lighting' - ie dim spaces are considered intimate and mysterious and cozy. Oh well.
  • CharlesW
    All nice and good, but these are only buildings. Most of them are not built as EF buildings so there is little reason for them to follow that layout or design. Tastes differ among professionals and lay people. But that's all it is, a matter of tastes. Again these are buildings. Blame the architects if you like, but the masons, left-wing ladies committee against everything, Oompa Loompa secret societies, and demented musicians had little or nothing to do with it. When has the U.S. church ever paid much attention to musicians?

If you don't like the building, don't go there. There are plenty of ugly Catholic churches in the country, even some built earlier than the 20th or 21st centuries. I have seen some really hideous Victorian era churches. Blame it on architects and architecture you don't particularly like, but again I point out that all the plots and sub-plots ascribed to Christ Cathedral are beyond ridiculous.

I have heard, as an example, all kinds of criticism of Coventry Cathedral from the day it was built. That building is quite beautiful in its own way. Again, it is a matter of tastes and personal preferences.
  • CatherineS Yes! like Cordoba
  • Most of them are not built as EF buildings so there is little reason for them to follow that layout or design.

If the same faith is expressed in the new building as is expressed in buildings designed when the older forms of the Rite were in common use, then one should be able to recognize elements of the same faith in the building, expressed similarly, with a love of God evident in the craftsmanship.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Liam
    Not the artistic or architectural elements. The historical terrain is too vast to support that expectation.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam,

Perhaps it's not the same faith?
  • CharlesW
    It is the same faith with the same people, unfortunately. And they make mountains out of molehills. And this same faith is expressed in different missal editions promulgated by the church which has the authority to revise its rites. And it did. Nothing more. Most of the people using Christ Cathedral are likely not using the EF liturgy, the former rite of the Latin church. Whether any provision will be made for them in that building, I don't know.
  • francis
    Perhaps it's not the same faith?
    Apparently new pew polls are stating that 75 to 80% of catholics (in name?) don’t believe in the real presence... wonder how they arrived at this new ascended, relevant, all embracing, highly tolerable tenet of belief? Perhaps traditional Catholicism is just too narrow in its thinking and very few people are able to accept its stiff demands. It seems to me this is why dogma must evolve with the times... you know, we can’t literally except everything Jesus said on face value... I mean, the whole symbol of evil thing… Jesus couldn’t have meant that he was a person. And why would a tabernacle need to be front and center In a Catholic Church? Don’t you think that is the appropriate place for an man to be sitting?
  • CharlesW
    You know, you could go down many wrong roads by believing polls. Most folks I know don't share that poll's conclusions.
  • francis
    Hmmm... Bishop Baron believes it’s correct... And he’s willing to flog his confreres and catechists for the error of their ways...

I’m glad you belong to the traditional wing!

I’m more inclined to think you’ll go down the wrong road believing Heresy then a pew poll.
  • the EF liturgy, the former rite of the Latin church

Ummm... it is still a current rite.

I certainly know quite a number of "Catholics" who deny the real presence, deny transubstantiation (including priests, sad to say), deny Church teachings on contraception. In fact, I remember touring the cathedral in Santa Fe, NM in the early '80's. Got into a discussion with several priests attached to the cathedral who dismissed transubstantiation and described the consecration in thoroughly Protestant terms (transignification).

While polls may not be a guarantee as to percentage, they certainly indicate a trend and can't simply be dismissed as "not in my experience".

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2016/09/28/poll-finds-many-us-catholics-breaking-church-over-contraception-abortion-and-lgbt

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2019/08/10/survey-on-catholic-belief-in-the-eucharist-prompts-calls-for-better-catechesis/

https://time.com/6048/poll-catholic-beliefs-at-odds-with-vatican-doctrine/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/05/transubstantiation-eucharist-u-s-catholics/

There are palpable reasons for the satement Lex orandi, lex credendi; for pointing out that art, architecture, and music reflect a belief or lack thereof; reasons that can't simply be dismissed as "personal preference".
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Elmar
  • CharlesW
    Where's the heresy? Their tabernacle is similar to tabernacles for the first 15-1600 years of liturgy. You mean they didn't place according the the aberrations that developed after Trent? Anathema! When has their bishop taught heresy? They don't have a tracker, could that be it?
  • CharlesW
    I agree the EF is still being used. What the future will hold on that is anybody's guess. However, it isn't anywhere near the majority rite and I doubt it ever will be again.

I don't see anything in Christ Cathedral that is contrary to the faith or anyone's faith.
    Thanked by 1formeruser
  • TCJ
    Considering the percentage of Catholics who attend Mass, the poll on belief in the real presence is credible. One doesn't have to see poll results to realize something is amiss when there are ~6000 - 8000 Catholics registered and we see about ~1200 of them per week. Do you think that it's just possible that many people who don't attend Mass do not do so because they see nothing special about church (like the Real Presence)?

Really, how bad do the problems in the Church have to become before people will admit that there is something wrong (besides not catering MORE to people's personal whims)?
    Thanked by 2Incardination Elmar
  • CharlesW
    I wouldn't say nothing is wrong, but much of what is wrong runs across all lines in the culture and society. It isn't specific to the Catholic Church. Especially in this country which has never been what you could call a Catholic country.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Liam
    Chris

The First Millennium alone had a vast terrain of artistic and architectural elements that would be difficult to say were "similar". And the geographic terrain was vast: from the shores of the isles of northwestern Europe (extending to Greenland by the early 12th century), to supra-Saharan Africa and deep down the Nile valleys, then to Arabia, Syria*, Armenia, Georgia, Persia, southern coastal India, central Asia into western China. Let alone the heartland of what became "Christendom". What we think of as parishes (and their churches) in the Roman tradition didn't fully exist until the high Middle Ages across western Europe. And I would venture that most Christians from those times, transported to 18th century Mittel-Europa, would likely have found late Baroque-Rococo churches to be passing strange, for example.

Had I been the ordinary of the diocese of Orange, I'd have resisted the EWTN money and not chosen to adapt the Crystal Cathedral to a Catholic one. Having done so, I'd have definitely chosen different sanctuary design. In terms of the congregational seating, I actually think this is a very rare large space where the initial design proposed in 2014, of the congregation in antiphonal/monastic seating and the sanctuary in the center of the lozenge, would have worked because of the congregation would have gone into the deep rather than shallow points of the lozenge.

https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/server-6.jpg

I also know that, over time, that space is likely to acquire additional layers of furnishings and art. That's the historical pattern.

* Here's a fairly naked example (obviously, climate and iconoclasts have removed layers of art), with layers of reconstruction and restoration into the 19th century. Just looking at the structure qua structure, one would be hard to assume all folks would instantly say "Christian Temple" upon beholding it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Saint_Peter
  • Liam,

There are saints from many walks of life, and there are many kinds of beautiful architecture, and there are many Rites within the Catholic Church, all of which share the same faith (else, they wouldn't be part of the Catholic Church). If I understand correctly, there are even situations in which two contemporaries who have both been declared saints really wouldn't have liked each other much.... so I'm ok with beautiful and unusual or strange in the same box. Last Sunday's High Mass in my parish was in the Dominican Rite, so I have some very small familiarity with rites other than my own.

On the other hand, there's much which is intentionally banal, intentionally iconclastic or syncretistic in places like the new Cathedral. For the sake of comparison, use TAC's chapel in California (I don't know the chapel in MA): modernly constructed doesn't have to mean banal or repulsive or syncretistic. Even the idea of noble simplicity isn't (necessarily) repugnant. Ask if the new Cathedral qualifies as nobly simple and simply noble.
  • Liam
    Chris

So now you're abandoning your argument about similarities of artistic and architectural elements. That's OK. But just register you've changed the terms of objection. Were it not for the sanctuary design (it's not the altar but the framing I object to more), I'd say there is noble simplicity in the space. Not my kind of noble. But enough that it would likely elicit some sense of exaltation from me, which to me is the necessary calling card. I'd likely blur my eyes at the sanctuary, and prefer to listen to how the acoustics work in liturgy before I settled on a judgment - to me, the aural dimension is equal to the visual in importance, but much harder to chat about online. (Mind you, I also have to blur my eyes in some Baroque or Rococo spaces....) In neither the executed nor initial design, however, would one confuse it for a Protestant space: that's no Protestant table, accusations of Masonry notwithstanding. Cranmer, Luther, Zwingli and Calvin and their heirs (let alone the Radical Reformers) would have spit up at it.
  • Maybe I am a die hard aesthetic modernist, but I often wonder if architectural style hasn't become a kind of kitsch, substituted categorically for beauty. This would not just be a modern problem: Pugin himself, though extraordinarily capable of crafting beauty within his preferred style, nevertheless epitomized this category error, and had almost nothing nice to say about church buildings that deviated from the Gothic, which was, to his mind, the truly traditional expression of Christian architecture. He famously jeered even at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

So, this is a mistake that can be made even by the best of us, and, sometimes, when I read comments like,

or the sake of comparison, use TAC's chapel in California (I don't know the chapel in MA): modernly constructed doesn't have to mean banal or repulsive or syncretistic

I wonder if our categories of "beauty" and "architectural style" are not getting muddied and blended together. After all, TAC's chapel, while I find it quite lovely, is modern-in-date-only, other than (probably) in construction techniques.

It's worth mentioning, too, that changes in taste do not occur without some reason: I'm sure some observers would find the strict adherence to traditional architectural forms in the TAC chapel "banal" and "uninteresting" and, perhaps more controversially in this crowd, the overall effect of the space "opulent" and therefore tacky, showy, and, for these reasons, "repulsive." Those are quite subjective statements, after all, and it is in no way obvious, unless you take an enormous number of propositions and statements of taste as givens, that the TAC chapel succeeds in avoiding either banality or repulsiveness.

An example of this confusion is, I think, the renovation that just happened in Kenosha, WI, of OL of Mt. Carmel.

I'll say it upfront: I'm not going to dispute (1) the quality of the new altar, (2) the quality of the painters' craft, (3) the good intentions and incredible devotion of the parishioners and clergy that brought this project about. But I think the motives and results were confused, and I am going to observe what I think are some negatives about the project that illustrate certain attitudes that I think were in play there, and are at work in the criticism currently being leveled at Christ Cathedral:

For a 1965 building, the church as it was had amazingly good bones. The tabernacle was under a baldachino on a three-step footpace, at the top of an elevated sanctuary with solid, uncarpeted flooring separated from the nave by a rail. Hanging above the tabernacle was an image of the Crucified Lord. St. Joseph and Our Lady were on either side of the sanctuary, in small niches.

The sanctuary was spare in its color design, apparently deliberately. The arresting feature of the space, setting off the main altar and tabernacle, was the baldachino, a flower of color in apparent mosaic, the Holy Ghost as a dove descending through the blue sky in a golden sunburst, to a modern design. As best I can tell from images available, abstract stained glass flanks the apse on either side, meaning that, in the room as a whole, the bare walls of the sanctuary set off the main altar, surrounded by the colorful baldachin.

The mensa has, since that time, been moved forward to allow versus populum celebration. It has sadly left the footpace, but is still elevated from the nave, and central in the sanctuary.

Decoration, in keeping with the style of the time and of the building, was, to my eye at least, quality craftsmanship, minimal but not barren, and with a distinctly modern aesthetic.

The sanctuary alone was recently redone. Now, the following has happened:

(1) A newly-crafted Romanesque high altar with reredos was installed under the existing baldachino. The forward altar remains in place, directly in front of and below the new high altar.

(2) The entire sanctuary, floor to ceiling, has been painted with colorful depictions of Saints and mottos, surrounded / enclosed by three-dimensional painted architectural features (pillars, galleries, frames, etc.) also in a Romanesque style.

(3) The Crucifix has been removed from the center of the baldachin, and has been replaced with a statue of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. A small altar cross, on which the Corpus does not appear to be visible from the nave, does remain on the high altar.

(4) The statues of St. Joseph and Our Lady, formerly within the sanctuary, have now been installed on faux-pillars (painted) flanking the sanctuary on either side.

To me, this looks more like a category error, than a liturgical or artistic success -- but it is being trumpeted by some as a major victory for beauty, I think, because the paintings and the furnishings installed are in a particular style. But one should have major reservations about the space as it now exists, I think, both aesthetically and liturgically:

(1) There are now two altars on an axis in the sanctuary. Where, in any liturgical book or church law, of any age, is this desirable?

(2) The image of the Crucified Lord has been rendered less visible from the nave.

(3) The architectural style of the space that exists has not been respected. The sanctuary is a world apart from the nave, and clashes, rather than harmonizing with it.

(4) The striking baldachin has been rendered, by the false architectural elements in the painting, the strong colors of the decoration, the presence of a large high altar with reredos (!) underneath it, and its unique, decidedly un-Romanesque shape, a strange piece of clutter in the sanctuary.

For these reasons, the project, in what I think is a reasonable appraisal, fails to create (1) a new, beautiful space that sympathetically and effectively retains key elements (primarily the baldachin and forward altar) of the old arrangement (a deliberate goal), (2) a liturgically sound space, or (3) a beautiful, harmonious space. But it is touted as a major success and, I feel safe in assuming, in the right crowd my criticisms would be instantly dismissed, and my preference for the overall arrangement of the former sanctuary roundly mocked, because the old sanctuary was Modernist, and the new one is Romanesque, basically.

The overall project fails, because it was apparently conceived (although this was not conscious), not to beautify the existing space, but to re-style the existing space in an architectural / artistic style that, for some, has become exclusively synonymous with "beauty." This, for me, is especially jarring in Western Christianity, because we do not have a singular, highly-sacralized tradition of iconography in the same way as the Christian East. Our openness to stylistic variety has, in fact, given birth to these styles that are being mistaken for absolute values in themselves.

Here's pictures of the Kenosha project: Liturgical Arts Journal
  • Liam
    NoName

I agree. I would not have chosen Baroque/Neoclassical references for that reno. Something more, perhaps, Armenian might have complemented it better. Mosaics, please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_architecture#/media/File:Church_tonemapped.jpg

I mention that because Armenian church architecture seems to have had a grip on a number of western church architects in the earlier part of the 20th century. The bold massings, shapes and decorative effects, among other things. For example, in 16th arr. of Paris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Église_Saint-Pierre-de-Chaillot

More images of the last: https://tinyurl.com/y4mczmad
  • I know several other churches that preserved the high altar while installing a "modern" altar table for Novus Ordo worship. I don't find anything about it particularly concerning.
  • Liam,

I'm not meaning to change the terms of the objection, only to concede the point that not everything must be done (as the saying goes around here) as it was in 19th century Russia. I'm happy conceding the beauty of the Gothic, and of the Romanesque. I've been known to praise beautiful works of English. I read bits and pieces of other languages.

A bishop who repents of the evil he has done is a repentant sinner, and thus there is much rejoicing in Heaven. An unrepentant bishop, who denies that the evil he has done is, in fact, evil, and rather complains that the Church needs to get with the times, dies in his unrepentant state.

Shakespeare rendered in Klingon is, one hopes, still Shakespeare. When it fails to be Shakespeare, the fact that it is in beautiful neo-Classical Klingon matters not. Movie adaptations of Tolkien's work may be good art, in themselves, but whether they are faithful to Tolkien's original is an entirely different question.
    Thanked by 2Marc Cerisier tomjaw
  • I know several other churches that preserved the high altar while installing a "modern" altar table for Novus Ordo worship. I don't find anything about it particularly concerning.

That isn't what they did here. Read the article.
  • I read the article and I'm not sure what's different except for the process being reversed. Pardon my ignorance.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • Sorry, didn't mean to imply ignorance at all!

Maybe it's a mental quirk of mine, but whereas a high altar with built in reredos cannot facilitate v.p. celebration, and this is (apparently) encouraged by Vatican documents, the installation of a portable altar to facilitate this mode of celebration, while I think it is unnecessary (since one could just celebrate a.o. and respect the design of the church), is understandable, if for no other reason than perceived normalcy. It was, after all, and in probably most places, still is, a different time. Doing so without wrecking history in situ, seems sensitive and sane. In many places, where v.p. celebration became the de facto expectation of the bishop, or was mandated by the pastor, pastors or parish councils that chose to install a small forward altar in front of their historically and artistically significant high altar, rather than having the high altar that their grandparents sacrificed to have installed wind up in pieces in the dumpster out back, were probably taking a path of least destruction, and I think it's commendable in that situation.

It's a different matter, however, when a church, possessing an altar that can be used in either orientation, commissions and installs a separate altar, on the central axis of the church, specifically to celebrate ad orientem. This is not necessary, as the v.p. altar does not preclude that orientation by its design. In that case, I don't see the reason, other than aesthetic, for doubling the main altar. But that, to me, seems a very grave thing to do symbolically, for such a light reason.
    Thanked by 3Schönbergian Elmar fcb
  • NihilNominis,

I missed something. Do you mean that in the "refurbished" "cathedral", which previously had only a podium for an Evangelical missionary preacher, there is both an altar which presumes the posture of v.p. and one which presumes a.o?

There's a joke somewhere about High Church Anglicans wanting the chalice to be dropped with a bang during every Eucharist because it happened once by accident. I can understand a high altar and multiple side altars, but I can't fathom a high altar and what my wife calls a low altar as part of a restoration project or a refurbishing project.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm surprised to see another detail of that Kenosha church's decoration: the famous Carmelite "scapular promise" is painted on the sanctuary wall: "whosoever dies wearing this scapular will not suffer eternal fire".

Carmelite tradition says that St. Simon Stock, an English Carmelite, received this promise in an apparition in 1251; and legend claims that Pope John XXII wrote of having a similar vision in 1322.

Now, we don't actually know as a matter of historical proof that that apparition and that vision really took place. The old Catholic Encyclopedia states in its article on the Scapular: "it has now been sufficiently shown that this testimony [about St. Simon Stock having seen and heard Our Lady] cannot be supported by historical documents." Is it prudent to put those words on the wall of sanctuary, usually a place where one finds the words of Scripture inscribed?

And if those events did happen as the tradition describes, then the text of a private revelation is being placed in the sanctuary of a church, even though Catholics are not obliged to accept any particular private revelation. That, by itself, is a debatable choice.

But maybe my hesitation is too scrupulous: can anyone reassure me? There certainly are depictions of private revelations in Catholic art, and perhaps even in the sanctuaries of churches, and perhaps other cases in which texts of private revelations are painted in sanctuaries. Can anyone cite some examples to show that such a practice [quoting a private revelation in sanctuary decoration] is actually a longstanding one?
  • Chonak,

If the room is filled with Holy Writ, and the image of St. Simon is in a window in the parish of St. Simon, I can't see an issue, but if actual Scripture is missing, sacraments are doubtful and private revelation is a marketing ploy..... this would be problematic.

I can see it now: the parish church of Our Lady of Medjugorje (if I spelled that correctly) doesn't have a baptistry, but does have images of all of the "seers"
  • NihilNominis,

I missed something. Do you mean that in the "refurbished" "cathedral", which previously had only a podium for an Evangelical missionary preacher, there is both an altar which presumes the posture of v.p. and one which presumes a.o?

There's a joke somewhere about High Church Anglicans wanting the chalice to be dropped with a bang during every Eucharist because it happened once by accident. I can understand a high altar and multiple side altars, but I can't fathom a high altar and what my wife calls a low altar as part of a restoration project or a refurbishing project.

Still about the Kenosha church -- see my previous post! Sorry for the confusion.

chonak,

But maybe my hesitation is too scrupulous: can anyone reassure me? There certainly are depictions of private revelations in Catholic art, and perhaps even in the sanctuaries of churches, and perhaps other cases in which texts of private revelations are painted in sanctuaries. Can anyone cite some examples to show that such a practice [quoting a private revelation in sanctuary decoration] is actually a longstanding one?

The renovation seems like a triumph of devotionalism.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • It has occurred to me that, regardless of all our criticisms about this cathedral, both of a subjective and an objective nature, deserved or undeserved, this, unbelievable as it is, is now hallowed ground, sacred space, blessed and consecrated to all that is holy, and to the All Holy himself. It is, as of now, sacred space. Strange that such a building should be so honoured, but so honoured it is. It is sacred space. (Could there be a lesson here?)
  • francis
    The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness there of.

Though we are beset in the battle, the Lord knows all, reigns over all, and will triumph at the end of all things.