Fr. Rossini -- Missa Deus Sabbaoth
  • Does anyone have a copy of this? Or any other Rossini Masses besides the 2-voice Missa Facilis Salve Regina? I'm looking for something accompanied, eminently accessible, and preferably SAB.

Thank you to anyone who has suggestions!
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    If you're game for two-part, NihilNominis introduced myself and Incardination to Fr. Wilken's Mass of Saint Anthony of Padua is pretty accessible, and a lot of fun to sing.

Off the top of my head otherwise: Victor Eder's Mass of St. Michael the Archangel, Either of Dubois's Messe Breve, Perosi's Missa Te Deum Laudamus, or any of Michael Haller's masses.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I saw that comment by NihilNominis, too, Stimson. Is there a score available? I just saw recordings. Edit: I mean for the Mass of St. Anthony of Padua
    [Courtesy of the Most Interesting Choir Director in the World, Incardination.]:
    I can also post educational sound files if desired.
    Thanked by 1MaestroMark32
  • Actually, I discovered the St. Anthony Mass long, long, ago in a galaxy far away... I was just out of high school, directing a small school choir in Madison, Wisconsin. I don't remember how I stumbled across it, but I used it with the choir there. Several years later, I ran across it again in a different context - when I was in the Navy, serving on a submarine out of Bangor, Washington. The organist for the small chapel where I attended Mass was a major in the Air Force - his wife was the choir director.

Years later, I needed to follow up with them to add the Credo to the score (the attached file is updated to include the Credo and also has some other notes I added regarding Fr. Wilkens, who was a native of Cincinnati), as my copies at the time only had the first page of the Credo.

It is an easy Mass, yet quite nicely styled.

In the circumstance that Stimson is referring to, we did a recording with Nihil and a lot of the members from the Latin Mass Schola in Cincinnati, which included not only the SAOP Mass, but also two other pieces by Fr. Wilkens, the Propers for Sunday within Ascension, Credo III (we hadn't learned the Credo for the SAOP at that time), and a few other miscellaneous hymns. The Chant was done with proportional rhythm (something Nihil was curious about).

In any case, I also include the Vidi Aquam and the Regina Coeli (both SATB) by Fr. Wilkens. The page numbers are for the binder of part music I provide for my current choir. I'm working on getting back to having spiral-bound books for the part music as I do for the chant.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    Ahh, yes. That Vidi Aquam is EPIC.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Pinkdressfrancine--

I do have Rev. Carlo Rossini's, Missa Facilis "Salve Regina." I have a unison version and also S.A. or TI.II or T.B. Other Rossini Masses I have include Missa "Adeste DFideles" (TTB or SSA); Missa "Orbis Factor" (SA/TB or SSA); Chant Mass-Pro Defunctis (low voice); and Salve Mater (unison). I also have some of his English Masses.

If you PM your address, I will get any of these Masses to you.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Fr. Wilkens served in Lafeyette IN and Lincoln NE before returning to his native Cincy.
    Fr. Rossini is from the lost generation: born too late to have anything much PD in the US, lived too late to be legal in Canada.