Papal Nuncio Accuses Pope Francis of Covering McCarrick’s Abuse - And Names Names
  • Kathy
    I think that by far the best outcome to al of this would be a realization on Pope Francis' part that he has been ill-advised and manipulated, and that there is a better way forward than the one he has chosen in the past.

I would recommend loyalty to him, though not to some of his actions. He has chosen the wrong friends. That doesn't mean he can't make some of the right ones.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • dad29
    I haven't had much faith in some of these leaders for a long time.

Hear, hear. I don't remain Catholic because of the priests or Bishops--or the Pope. Nor "the process." Been around far too long for that sort of demi-idolatry.
    Thanked by 3Carol eft94530 Blaise
  • Sorry, Kathy, I must forcefully disagree. At the end of the day, we are simply perpetuating the cycle if we give him a pass by saying "ill-advised and manipulated". There is a pattern here that has been demonstrated several times. Cardinals that were disciplined by Benedict (McCarrick wasn't the only one), only to have the discipline relaxed under Francis. What fiasco did we see in Chile not all that long ago? It was only when his backing of the bishop in question became untenable that he finally went into action. What response to the situation in Pennsylvania? And this all against a backdrop where Francis has seemed determined to redefine "family" and the values we MUST adhere to as Catholics.

I'm all for giving him an opportunity to explain... but I'm not at all about to whitewash this with "I received bad advice".

And what constitutes "loyalty"? He hasn't really impressed me as being loyal to Jesus Christ in so many aspects of his pontificate... He was more concerned about being warm and fuzzy with those who are pitted against the Church. If we are going to pick one to be loyal to, shouldn't it be Christ first?
  • Kathy
    Well, we're Catholics, so loyalty to the Pope is one of the ways in which we are loyal to Christ. We can't leave the Church, we can't make him resign--so we're stuck in this pickle.

It's not the only way we're loyal to Christ, and there is a strange tug of war among the different aspects of Catholic fidelity. But I still think that unless the bond is broken, it's important to keep it, by prayer most of all.
  • CharlesW
    Being eastern, I can have mixed feelings about the whole papacy thing. I admired Pope Benedict, but I admired him long before he became pope. Francis seemed to be an odd choice and there is no guarantee the cardinals would even choose him if the election were held today.

I am of the opinion that the Orthodox are right in saying they would accept the papacy as it existed in the first thousand years of Christianity. Popes became monarchs in the second thousand years and took on imperial powers. Unfortunately, there was no longer an emperor to keep them in check. I do respect the office if not always its occupant. As an eastern bishop once said, "Today we are Catholic, tomorrow who knows?"

What now with the scandals? Who knows how this will play out. I am afraid it is going to get much uglier before it is over. I suspect there is more there than any of us know.

• If people don't pray for him, how can they expect him to do any better.
    In the grand scheme of things, if you think that the priests are targets (and they are!) what about Peter?!
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • CharlesW
    I agree priests are targets. See my post on my conversation with our associate pastor earlier. But Francis seems to have a great gift for putting his foot in his mouth. He brings it on himself sometimes.
  • Prayers are one thing. Avoiding a rush to judgment is one thing. Excusing improper actions by putting it under the guise of poor advice or bad judgment is entirely another. Nor does it demonstrate loyalty - either to Christ or to Francis.

My point really is... to the extent that we would say "that's alright, he had bad advice" we are JUST as culpable as the members of the hierarchy who covered for abusers in the first place. That's a direction I don't think any of us should feel comfortable in tending toward.
  • Kathy
    Whoa Nelly!!

First of all, no, we're not just as culpable. I don't have any authority to censure the Pope. I didn't know anything at the time. I'm nowhere near as culpable. I took steps to ensure the safety of volunteers and employees for whom I was responsible. Ignoring that responsibility--which I did not do--would have made me just as culpable. I am not.

Secondly, I never said "that's all right." The Pope chose who to listen to. Or he let himself be bullied into it. Or he has been reading bad books that led him think the wrong people were good advisors. Or, it could be, that he has not been cooperating with grace. These are all in the realm of vincible ignorance--he should have done MUCH better. It's not all right.

But it could be.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW JL
  • CharlesW
    None of this is alright, but none of us have any authority to fix it. At my low level, as Kathy noted, I also watch out for the kids and seniors in my choir so no one harms them in any way. The Vatican I can't fix.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    And yet, he (Francis) was able to demand an investigation into Vigano the very day the news broke that he had supposedly "quashed" that other investigation... immediately. The very day.
    He is picking and choosing what is worth responding to or taking action against, but it doesn't seem to be working out in his favor.
  • pfreese
    As an addendum to the whole Nienstedt affair, here’s the 2014 memo from our archdiocesan canon lawyer that Vigano mentioned in his statement yesterday (he gets involved on pgs 5-7):

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2996096-July-2014-Memo-to-Auxiliary-Bishop-Lee-A-Piche.html

I’ll admit we have some “trust issues” with him around here...
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Elmar eft94530
  • [WARNING: FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS OF SNARK. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.]

Cardinals that were disciplined by Benedict (McCarrick wasn't the only one), only to have the discipline relaxed under Francis.

Sort of like how Bugnini was censured under John XXIII, only to be rehabilitated by Paul VI?

Unfortunately, there was no longer an emperor to keep them in check.

Paging the Donald!

I'll take MJO's period over Pope Francis's silence any day . . .
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Simon
  • CharlesW
    I have read that his successors, after he was a Jesuit Superior stated that it would take 20 years to straighten out the mess he had made. Is he making a mess of things again, but this time in Rome?
    Thanked by 1MNadalin
  • My point really is... to the extent that we would say "that's alright, he had bad advice" we are JUST as culpable as the members of the hierarchy who covered for abusers in the first place.

I'm afraid I have to stand by that statement. We aren't required to censure the pope - we have no ability to impose discipline on him. But regardless of our authority (or more properly lack thereof) we most certainly can't pass off the problem as being less than it actually is.

I would encourage prayers for the guilty as much as for the innocent.
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for the guilty, as well as, for all of us who have to deal with the fallout from it.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • pfreese
    Re Gamba, that’s the statement relating to the Griffith memo that I posted earlier. I think CCooz posted the full Vigano response earlier in the thread.

As someone who lives in the affected diocese, Vigano’s charge against Fr. Griffith’s testimony gives me even less reason to want to believe him. Griffith, both auxiliary bishops, and the two attorneys involved all interpreted Vigano’s request to halt the Nienstedt investigation as an order, whether he intended it as such or not (which is all that matters in a court of law). Griffith also mentioned in his memo (which I posted earlier) that Vigano’s directive to the auxiliaries to destroy their letter documenting said request would’ve constituted a federal crime by destroying evidence in what had then become a criminal investigation into Archbishop Nienstedt’s conduct. It’s worth nothing that that documented incident was later brought up in a criminal trial against the Archdiocese as evidence of conspiracy to coverup abuse. To my knowledge, federal investigators also sought charges of conspiracy to destroy evidence against Vigano himself (which obviously went nowhere since he then had diplomatic immunity). That Vigano wants Griffith, the auxiliaries, and our current Archbishop (who was in no way involved at the time) to apologize for documenting their side of the events is absolutely astounding.

Nor do I find Vigano’s assessment of the Nienstedt investigation to be merited. As Griffith testified, the law firm selected was already one of only three that Nienstedt’s belligerent personal attorney would allow, and none of the three clerics involved (and other consulted attorneys) thought that the personal opinions of some partner attorneys constituted a conflict of interest, especially given the sheer breadth of their other clientele in Minnesota. If anything, Vigano’s zeroing I’m on the gay marriage issue in both his statements this week as well as during the Nienstedt investigation (which itself focused on numerous allegations of homosexual misconduct) is, I think, very revealing.

I know was long winded, but I think it helps provide valuable context to this whole affair. Needless to say, I think Vigano’s checkered record on abuse coverup and his obstinate lack of contrition in asking people under his authority to commit federal crimes severely wounds his credibility in any accusations of similar wrongdoing by the Holy Father.
    Thanked by 2Gamba CharlesW
  • GambaGamba
    @pfreese I apologize for re-posting, and I deeply appreciate your careful recounting of the situation.
  • PaxTecum
    @pfreese

This is one way of looking at it.

The other way of looking at it is that the auxiliary bishops intentionally misinterpreted Vigano’s request to hear Neinstedt before continuing their course of action (which I believe was to go to Rome?) in an effort to make him look bad and Viganò was trying to correct this

I’m not saying either way of looking at it is right, but as I read the documents this is how I saw it.
    Thanked by 2Incardination dad29
  • a_f_hawkins
    V met the auxiliariy bishops and told them to do X.
    The next day he, V, received a letter from the auxiliaries saying they took X to be 'halting the investigation'.
    V says X was 'interview Neinstetd before approaching the Swiss Guard'
    We are not told when V told the auxiliaries that they had got it wrong, but we are told that because their statement was incorrect V directed that it should be removed from the record, again we do not know when.
    When I worked for the government we had standard procedures for recording the agreed results of a meeting. I would think that the Church does, after all the bureaucracy has been around a long time, but maybe I live in Νεφελοκοκκυγία (Cloud Cuckoo Land). In the world I live in minutes of meetings are not in the record until agreed, and removing an incorrect draft would not be any sort of crime, UNLESS the draft had already been acted on.
    ---------
    Admiral, to Captain H.. "This is an exceedingly delicate mission. Here your orders are in this sealed envelope. I wish to impress on you two things: exceeding your orders would result in being court martialled and probably shot, and failure to show initiative would be ruinous for your career. Good luck Captain." My imperfectly recalled paraphrase
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • pfreese
    Re Settefrati93, perhaps, but I doubt this supposed miscommunication was intentional on the part of the auxiliaries, as they had no incentive to add to the drama in this already explosive story. The investigators desire to go to Rome to interview the Swiss Guardsmen (denounced by Vigano) was noted to be because of multiple affidavits that refered to it from the Archdiocese of Detroit (Nienstedt’s home diocese). And at least according to Griffith, there’s no legal or investigative standard that would’ve rendered such an action before interviewing Nienstedt to be inappropriate. Vigano still apparently shows utter contempt for that whole investigation as per his Monday letter, which is why the auxiliaries’ allegation that Vigano told them to end it completely (as opposed to just do Nienstedt first), seems very believable to me.

As a last tidbit, Nienstedt did end up resigning over a year later, which unnamed priests here have speculated was coerced from the Congregation of Bishops regarding the allegations against him as well the Archdiocese’s then-recent declaration of bankruptcy (then one of the first in the U.S.). He’s since left the province, and at least one bishop refused to incadinate him due to the allegations, and I’m not sure what ministerial activity he had along his (recently ended) stint at the Napa Institute.

Not exactly our archdiocese’s finest moment...
  • pfreese
    Re. af Hawkins, that’s certainly an important nuance, minutes certainly would’ve helped here. Although the big caveat in this case was that the auxiliaries’ (allegedly incorrect) letter involved a then-active interstate criminal investigation, which would’ve made its deliberate destruction a federal crime. One man’s meeting minutes is the government’s evidence, and ended up actually being used as such in at least one other criminal investigation.
  • tomjaw
    So while some people are worried about a small part of +Vigano's statement,

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/vatican-source-pope-dismissed-cdl-mueller-and-others-for-following-church-r?utm_content=buffer049d3&utm_medium=LSN+buffer&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=LSN

and

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-pope-ignored-warning-from-top-vatican-cardinal-not-to-reinstate-de?utm_content=buffer80d37&utm_medium=LSN+buffer&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=LSN

Also my Friend Dr. Shaw has written this excellent piece,
    http://www.lmschairman.org/2018/08/vigano-and-pyramid-of-lies.html

This from Vigano, The archbishop says, “I am 78 years old, and I am at the end of my life. The judgment of men does not interest me. The one judgment that counts is that of the good God. He will ask me what I have done for the Church of Christ, and I want to be able to respond to him that I defended her and served her even to the end.” compare and contrast with -Culpich's statement!
  • dad29
    Vigano was obviously concerned with Canon Law in the Nienstedt case, as it appeared to him that Nienstedt was being railroaded. Canon Law is not irrelevant, as I'm sure pfreese knows. In fact, to a Churchman, it's far more important than civil law--because only Canon Law can be used to "de-frock" him.

Also, Vigano obviously thought that documents sent to him were protected under diplomatic treaty. Perhaps he was wrong, but perhaps not. There's a good deal that we do NOT know here.

As to Vigano's creds; to me, he's a WHOLE lot more credible than pp Francis, who has specialized in wiggle-wording and evasion throughout his Papacy.
  • pfreese
    Re dad, I’m not sure canon law would’ve applied in this case, since to my knowledge it doesn’t bother much with evidence rules or investigative standards, though maybe a real canonist can weigh in here. I should note Fr. Griffith was/is also the head canon lawyer in our archdiocese; I feel like a geek like him would’ve acknowledged a canonical conflict of interest in his memo if he thought one existed. In fairness, the charge that Nienstedt was railroaded wouldn’t have been entirely unfounded, since he had a notoriously poor report among the priests here (my pastor compared him to Morlino sans the charisma). That said, from my humble 40,000 ft view, the harassment allegations against Nienstedt seemed to be at least as credible as those now facing McCarrick, which is why I think many in my woods are thinking twice about Vigano’s charges against Pope Francis. That Vigano insisted McCarrick was guilty for over a decade but the charges against Nienstedt weren’t worth looking into (even today), with all the evidence there was, seems very disingenuous to me. Say what you want our Pope, at least he’s apologized for initially standing by a scumbag like Barros.

I honestly don’t want tosound too harsh on Vigano, since his charges are at least plausible and he seems like a hyper competent guy. But least at this point and the information we have, a large chunk of his story doesn’t add up if we’re really being honest, and if we’re willing to question the Holy Father’s motives and character, we can’t let Vigano escape scrutiny either.
  • This depravity is not isolated. It is the result of sin which is the result of heresy which is fostered by liturgical abuse and sacrilege on a daily basis for 50 years. It is all connected. https://onepeterfive.com/bad-think-corruption-worse/
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Funniest thing I heard today....

I was greeted by a friend with this: "How does it feel to be living in a Malachi Martin novel?"

• pfreese
    “How does it feel to be living in a Malachi Martin novel?"

Personally it feels more like HBO’s “The Young Pope.” Kinda sad
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • CatherineS
    I will add that after some initial shock and horror, I find that this suffering in the Church is only strengthening my faith. Perhaps like a death in the family or an accident can help strengthen a person's faith. It draws me to prayer. It draws me to do more of the good things I can do in my community. I didn't become Catholic so I could hang out with the cool, perfect people. I lost a lot of friends when I converted. I became Catholic because Christ called me to follow Him, and that includes sticking with Him when the going is ugly and everyone else is hurling stones and scandalizing the little ones. I'll play God's game, not the devil's. May He continue to grant me the grace of faith and perseverance, and may this current devil's dance serve to purify the Body of Christ, convert more hearts and save more souls. [God very often works against human expectations, as He has in my life and the life of many friends! Credo...]
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Lenny (presumably) dies.
    HHF not going there. Fo' now.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Kathy
    A friend mentioned to me today that his literary referrent is Father Elijah.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    That Vigano insisted McCarrick was guilty for over a decade but the charges against Nienstedt weren’t worth looking into

I'm not sure where you get the idea that it was as flippant as that.
    That isn't what I've gotten out of Abp Vigano's letters or any of the rest of it.

Also, after attempting to read the memo you posted here, I felt it left one wanting to read the document and memos to which he was referring, since "regarding your letter, regarding so-and-so's reply," etc. tells one nothing of which he is speaking, but only his opinion of what was going on, whether or not he was actually there.
    Is there a document floating around, somewhere, with the information to which he alludes, or are we supposed to just assume that everything he says are based off of something concrete and exactly as he describes them, as well?

I can appreciate that being part of the diocese in question can give one a different view.
    His integrity, though, has been attested to by many, and names seem to be added to that list, daily.
    Thus far, the priests and bishops that I've seen attempting to sway one from listening are the like of Fr. James Martin and Cardinal Cupich, whose own agendas are, unfortunately, questionable, at best.

By the way, here is a wonderful homily that I heard, yesterday:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/spm-straph-parish-wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/20084333/208.mp3
    Thanked by 2Incardination tomjaw
  • pfreese
    Re CCooz, the Archdiocese hasn’t released the full details of the Nienstedt investigation yet. Almost everything I mentioned came from what (limited) public information there is, and the Griffith memo seems to be the most complete and reputable summary yet, though as you point out, it refers to a lot of docs that are still under wraps (likely for confidentiality reasons). I actually wrote to the Archbishop earlier this week asking that they release everything they legally can regarding the Nienstedt affair since this has all come under renewed attention. There hadn’t really been much of a public push to do so earlier since he basically disappeared, unlike McCarrick who relished an international profile. We’ll see if my request goes anywhere.

I felt the need to bring this all up only because I saw a lot of people immediately rush to either Vigano or the Pope’s defense when this all broke, and I think particularly with regard to Vigano, this whole relatively unknown affair is important context in judging his credibility, whether he’s ultimately vindictated or not. Sure, a lot of bishops have expressed confidence in him, but many other Church officials in the know have expressed doubts about his claims as well (extending far beyond the borders of my Archdiocese), and yes, that includes well placed prelates like Cupich and Tobin, whose voices in this matter ought not be brushed off too quickly.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • When Cupich comes out and says that the Church needs to move on and "not go down a rabbit hole" with this, and then say that people "don't like [the Pope] because he's a Latino", I'm not sure anyone can listen to him and then say that his voice matters a whole ton in this situation.
  • dad29
    @Casavant: calling people "racist" is typical of a certain sort of person, particularly when they have no cogent arguments to present.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Carol
  • pfreese
    Re. Casavant and dad, when did Cupich say those things? I genuinely want to know if I’m missing something, because he didn’t say anything close to that in his official statement, only that “a thorough vetting of the former nuncio’s many claims is required before any assessment of their credibility can be made.”

https://www.archchicago.org/en/statement/-/article/2018/08/26/statement-of-cardinal-blase-j-cupich-in-response-to-the-testimony-of-former-apostolic-nuncio-to-the-united-states-carlo-maria-vigano
  • a_f_hawkins
    The 'rabbit hole' and 'because he's a Latino' are both in the interview transcript on this page, FWIW.
  • tomjaw
    "By their fruits you will know them"

Anyway good luck watering the fig tree, it has not produced any fruit for a long time, our Blessed Lord has cursed it, and tomorrow it will be dead and we can 'cast it into the fire'.
  • CatherineS
    I never realized the Pope is Latino. Doh.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Catherine, exactly. Everyone knows he's from Argentina. I don't know if anyone thinks (or cares) he's "Latino."
  • CharlesW
    I thought his ancestry was Italian. There are many Italians in Argentina.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Born Jorge Mario Bergoglio in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I had never heard of him before he was elected. Ignorance is bliss, or rather was bliss.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Just so, Charles.

As far as my googling is concerned, Argentinians seem to refer to themselves as such, and not as either Hispanic or Latino.
  • CharlesW
    This is what I was getting at when I noted his Italian ancestry.

Pope Francis's sister has revealed that their family fled Italy and emigrated to Argentina in the 1920s in order to escape the Fascist regime of Benito Mussolini.

The Telegraph August 27, 2018
  • CatherineS
  • francis
    eft... fixed text above. tnx.