Masses 'with Children'
  • Dear Friends,

I need some help. I am Director of Music at a parish with a very large school. I have worked very hard, both at the parish and the school, to bring our experience of the Novus Ordo closer to 'singing the Mass.' And, I have had a great deal of success, thanks be to God! But, the present wild card for me is the school. After five years in a very difficult school situation, I am finally making progress with the teachers, and they are allowing me to do what I do best........plan and prepare the music for school Masses. But, our pastor hired a new assistant principal (a C.R.E), who is now insisting on the implementation of much music that I have managed to avoid for five years, and initiating clapping, swaying, and all types of gesturing to the music. This is all being done to 'engage the whole child.'

She and I have had many candid discussions about the liturgy, and for my part, have compromised far more than she has at this point. But, it all just doesn't stop there. We are now in a cordial 'email discussion' about school Masses. From something she said in her latest email, I believe she may be basing all her viewpoints from the 'Directive for Masses with Children' from 1973. I just read that document in its entirety, and I shocked to see the very direct correlation between this document and the experience of worship in most Catholic parishes today.

Folks, I need help here. Any suggestions? Documents to present? Of course am very familiar with the new G.I.R.M., but I don't think that will hold any weight in this dialogue...........
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Carol
    I am definitely less musically educated than most here, but taught in a Catholic school and provided music for Masses for many years. I have always believed that reverence needs to be taught and that the instilling of the richness of liturgical music, which hopefully lasts throughout one's life, is more important than teaching "action hymns" which will come to be seen as baby-ish at some point as the student matures. There were some teachers who felt as your new colleague does, and so as a compromise we used some of these peppier songs in the school, but I would not use them in church.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • I don't know if it will help you with the new hire, but it might help you know you're on solid ground:

St. Paul says, and I'm paraphrasing, "When I became a man, I gave up childish things, not childlike things."
    Thanked by 2mbwittry eft94530
  • CharlesW
    Is the pastor in charge of the school and will he back you up?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thanks so much for your comments. Yes, the pastor is in charge of the school, but I think he will support the assistant principal over me, and just tell us to work together......which means, she tells me what to do. After reading the Directive for Masses with Children from 1973, on which I believe she bases all her convictions, I am not very hopeful........
  • Yes, the Directory for Masses with Children is almost certainly the most bizarre liturgical document we have from Rome. It’s kind of a “gateway drug” for some to justify all manner of crazy stuff. Even were it rescinded now, the damage is long since done. Alas.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    Does the Directory for Masses with Children itself call for the use of "action hymns"? I will be surprised if that is the case. The Church wants us all to actively participate in the liturgy, including its gestures and postures; the Church doesn't want us to add our own gestures to the liturgy that really aren't part of it. The document itself cautions about making the children's liturgy too different from the liturgy of the whole community: liturgical formation for children is intended to enable them to participate in the Mass of the whole parish. Can you ask the assistant principal to work with you on have the kids really engaged with the words and actions of the Mass itself?

Some of the ideas in the document are not bad: we ought to play up the pageantry of the Mass and express its God-centered meaning. The entrance procession and the offertory procession should both be events worth looking at, or participating in: dignified, attractive, formal. Start with a bare sanctuary and let some of the kids bring in things: candles, flowers, the books, the altar cloth: some things in the entrance procession, some at the offertory. The priest should sing all of the dialogues in the Mass, and the children should learn to give the responses. If the priest doesn't take the time to get involved and lead the kids into the Mass itself, then there will be temptations to substitute foreign material: play-songs and other such fluff.

Some parts of the Mass already lend themselves to call-and-response format: for example, the entrance antiphon and the communion antiphon.

The Responsorial Psalm can be sung straight through without the refrain -- and you can even split it up verse by verse and take turns between a leader and the congregation: that's going to be more engaging than the usual treatment of the R.P.

Teach the kids to sing the Mass ordinary in chant melodies, even with the Greek and Latin texts: they want to exercise their smarts. If you haven't done much chant yourself and need tips on where to find these, just ask!
  • Thank you for your words.....the ‘dressing of the altar’ was a practic was actually mentioned and encouraged in this document, but thankfully, we are past that battle. Yes, our children chant and know the Latin Ordianry to Mass XVIII. We sing very good quality music; I have asked for the time to and cooperation to just rehearse and review with the children. But, she is only interested in implementing the practices of her last position, which are right out of this embarassing document.
    She is on a mission to ‘fix’ us, I believe. What I need is a good source that I can quote about using quality music instead of gimmicks at our school liturgies, I asked one of my little 10 year old cherubs how she felt about clapping at Mass. She said she thought it was ‘fun.’ Right there is a problem.......there is a big difference between joy and fun. No wonder we have lost so many from the faith........
    Thanked by 2Carol eft94530
  • Kathy
    A few years ago I wrote this http://www.chantcafe.com/2014/10/masses-with-theme.html?m=1

Since then I taught music for two years in a Catholic school, definitely along the lines of "singing the Mass." And learned what I've known everywhere I've tried it: kids and chant are made for each other.

I don't know what a C.R.E. is, but the Ward Method was taking a "whole child" approach since way before The Butterfly Song.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole Ward curriculum is online on our sister website. Check out its majesty.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Right around age 6 or so (plus or minus), children are trying to figure out how to grow up. Yes, they want their play time, and silly time, and they need to be nurtured and so on, but they also need specific times and places where they are expected to behave reverently and 'grown up', in some ways. Mass is one of those times and places.

And here's the thing: with a little patience, explanation, and insistence, children respond very positively to that expectation. They often do it better than adults. The school mass at my parish is often more reverent than the Sunday 10:30.

The question I would put to this person, in some manner, is whether you are training your children to think of mass as play time, or pray time. Children understand (or quickly learn to understand) the difference, and they actually appreciate it.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    1) This person doesn't want to listen to you, she wants to fix you. You are benighted in your ignorance, and you don't want the children to enjoy Mass. She wants them to have a positive experience at Mass. You are standing in the way of the children enjoying Mass.
    --This is absolutely where she is coming from.

2) You will probably not be able to reason with this person.

3) Rather than appealing to the pastor regarding your interactions with this woman, especially when you are afraid that he will side with her instead of you, perhaps you could ask him: "Father, do you want to substantially change the praxis at school Masses? If so, how so?"

Don't mention her at all. This way, you can honestly say to her that you have asked Fr. So-and-so about the praxis at school Masses, and he has explicitly expressed (a) no desire to change anything or (b) only the desire to change [insert specific thing here].

4) You might try referencing this document ( https://www.catholicnh.org/assets/Documents/Worship/Our-Faith/Music-Ministries/AFPC-Reference-CatholicSchoolMasses.pdf ) that was compiled by the American Federation Pueri Cantores and the NCEA, and was specifically intended to be a comprehensive list of music that American Catholic schoolchildren should learn and use at weekly Mass.
  • canadashcanadash
    Yes to the above.

Does she come to rehearsals?
    Does she have time? If so, she does not have enough to do! I would suggest (and this is only somewhat purple) that you find some parents with lots of questions and various things for her to do during any time that your choir assembles and/or rehearses and get her out!

Prayers!
  • Irishtenor is spot on.
    Everything he has said is wise and accurate.

Follow his advice to a 'T'.

You are dealing with (yet another [they are everywhere, like termites]) person who has a preconceived mental and/or experiential paradigm of what constitutes meaningful participation at mass, and, especially, enjoyable participation for children. What doesn't fit this paradigm is not, in her mind, bona fide participation. No matter that your children and your people may be quite happy with what you have given them, it is not valid in this person's mind because it isn't his or her paradigm, which cannot be wrong - even if it differs from any documents that you may cite. Where her paradigm and the documents disagree, it is the documents that will be thought irrelevant. Take the high road and stay on it no matter what.

Follow Irishtenor's advice. This is about as civilised and intelligent as you can muster in this situation.

We will all be praying for you.
  • I agree with Irishtenor and MJO. However, I have been in this situation several times; with principals, asst principals and teachers. Many were brainwashed into this way of seeing the mass and world. I am sorry to say that rarely anything you say, show or do will win your cause in this situation; although I believe in miracles. If the pastor is not 100 percent in support of you and where you are coming from, then there is no hope. Besides, most pastors don't want to get involved with this between you two. I would be prepared to polish my resume. If you can get the pastor to absolutely agree and state to others that as the DM of this church and school, you have full control over all music, you might be successful. In several of my situations like this, I was eventually sabotaged, undermined and finally labeled as insubordinate by such a person; who went to the pastor and demanded that I be fired; in spite of highly glowing evaluation of myself and work. Be careful. I will pray for you.

ps - My only justice was that one year after I was fired in each occasion, these people were fired too because they went too far even for the pastor.
  • MarkS
    I too agree with Irishtenor and Mr. Osborn, but I particularly would second K of S's sentiments. I too have been there. It is frustrating and (I fear) probably hopeless, and the sad result is that I have spent the last 15-plus years working for non-Catholic institutions. Prayers!
  • kevinfkevinf
    I concur with Irishtenor and others: this situation is a bomb waiting to go off. Your refuge is with the Pastor. If he supports your praxis, then you are okay. If not, starting looking for another job. We will continue to weather these persons for quite sometime until the biological solution works its magic.
    Thanked by 3Kathy CHGiffen mbwittry
  • CharlesW
    I too agree with Irishtenor and Mr. Osborn, but I particularly would second K of S's sentiments. I too have been there. It is frustrating and (I fear) probably hopeless, and the sad result is that I have spent the last 15-plus years working for non-Catholic institutions. Prayers!

Yep! Although I am getting old, I have stated before that when I leave this job I will not ever work in a Catholic parish again. There are still too many crazies running around unrestrained and I no longer want to put up with them. Although, I am good at driving them nuts and otherwise making their lives miserable. It's a gift. LOL.
  • canadashcanadash
    What I would love to know from people on the board is if any of you would tell the pastor in advance that you are considering leaving your position if things don't change (of course, only if you would be willing to follow through). And I don't mean it as a threat, but rather as information. Maybe he really doesn't think this is a problem and can be worked out?

Of course, he may ask you to leave in that case, and you should consider that that might happen. I was in a situation where it was me or someone else, and I told the pastor and he said I could ask the other person to leave my choir (she was a paid employee). I was surprised and it was such a relief.
    Thanked by 1mbwittry
  • Yes, I will speak to him eventually and lay it all out. And, it is very possible that we will agree it is best for me to leave. I'm already preparing myself for that, sadly. It will be a big loss for the parish, and the school children, honestly, because there has been so much great work done.

I am attaching a long letter I wrote to the assistant principal to try and explain my position. Her reply was that she had directions for liturgies with children that she will share with me. I would be delighted if she might be willing to learn, but I think she wants just what she wants. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I don't have a school, but I do have a children's choir at my parish. I told them, "We're not doing kiddie stuff." They got it right away. On the weekends they sing, they do the same Mass ordinary and at least two, usually three, of the same hymns as all the other Masses, and they've responded well. It's really amazing what happens when you give kids some credit. So often, they get it better than the grownups.
    Thanked by 2Carol StimsonInRehab
  • @canadash

If it were my intention to leave under specific circumstances then yes, I would explain to the pastor my position -- as you say, not as a threat, but as an explanation, one that, in most circumstances, I would think he deserves.

In fact, I did that very thing, several years ago. And not long after doing so, I left. That parish now has electronic drums and perceive themselves, I imagine, to be very happy without me.
  • I'm so sorry, folks, for all your pain. I realize, sadly, that the Catholic schools are largely responsible, liturgically and musically, for what is happening in our parishes today........
  • Carol
    It is not really the Catholic schools that are "largely responsible,: but rather those clergy who are not giving direction. The schools are suffering under poor leadership if the clergy don't/won't push back.
    Thanked by 3MarkS canadash CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    @Carol. No...it is the combination of clerics not giving direction and principals not knowing how to give direction. I love my principal where I am but she regularly says to me that she knows nothing about the liturgy. She defers to me and to the Pastor. The Pastor gives the direction but he is well inculturated in the ethos of the liturgy. I am the direction point on the question. The Pastor and I work it out and we are together on the matter.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @mbwittry -- I can't see the letter you attached.
  • Here is my letter. It is long.

• Here is my letter. It is long. If our priests supported those who know what they are doing, this wouldn't be an issue.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen SarahJ Carol
  • That being said, I have had very supportive pastors, and it makes all the difference......
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    I had a children's schola a couple of years ago back east, and they learned the rudiments of chant by using the Chant Workbook in our classes and rehearsals, and they then joined to sing with the adult choir for feast days... right out of the liber... they were all ages from the attached parish school. What wonderful and memorable times those were for all, and I mostly cherished being able to provide truly authentic sacred music as the church desires. I will never forget it.
    Thanked by 2Carol StimsonInRehab
  • That is wonderful! My children have sung some of the Gregorian Antiphons for Easter and Christmas, and they have also sung with the adult choir at times. It is amazing how quickly they learn. :) They are so much more capable than some educators allow them to be. Congratulations to you! hang on the memories.......
  • You said it yourself - the pastor hired her.

He may not be saying it, but his actions show that he's clearly not happy that you are engaging either 1) all aspects of the children, or 2) all of the children - no matter how much success you perceive yourself as having.

My guess would be that it's 2): My own experience is that formal sacred music is engaging for the kids who "get it". But an equal number don't get it, are bored witness by it, and are not timid about saying so. If there are children in the school like this, then the school material needs to cater for them too - but not them exclusively, either. You need to find ways to be Both/And, not Either/Or.

Forget documents. Start managing relationships.
  • Kathy
    Btw, I'd strongly advise against sending the letter.

No matter how well researched it is, a long letter hits people like a truckload of emotional bricks.

It's good to have things well-thought out for your meeting. I would use the letter for that.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Well, thanks for the comments. We have a very balanced repertoire for all the children.....it is a mix, but I have kept the quality high for the music that is only used at school
    Masses as well as parish repertoire. And yes, I have been building a relationship with the person all year, and we have been discussing these topics, so the imformation is a continuation of a conversation we have not been able to have at length. I have already sent the letter; I am convinced it was the right thing to do.
  • I believe the pastor hired her because she was available. I don’t think there was an agenda.
  • SarahJ
    I just read your letter and I have to say your commitment is amazing. Entering all those hymns in by Finale!!! Hats off!!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you! I am at least passionate.......
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Please forgive my seemingly conspiratorial air, but I believe that it is an intentional effort by some liberal progressive pastors, school administrators and teachers to drive out and away anything and anyone who is conservative, traditional, classically trained and orthodox in the theology, doctrine, sacred arts and music associated with the historical pre VII Church and its schools. It is the same mind set in public schools and they have pretty much been successful. Thus, one can see the horrid state of their success in the decline of education, morals and ethics. There are exceptions of course, but not many. I'm sorry for being so negative, but people need to wake up and shine the light of day upon and in our schools and churches. If you can, recall what Charles Dickens cautioned us about the two children hiding under the cloak of the Ghost of Christmas present. Of want, hunger, poverty and ignorance, beware them all; but mostly beware ignorance for it is by far the most dangerous. All of what was said above and what has happened to me and others, is precisely why I left the Roman Catholic Church and formed an autonomous monastic order dedicated to the sacred arts and music.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Based on what I'm reading about Notre Dame de Paris and the spirit-of-Trent remodeling c. 1600, I almost suspect theological orthodoxy has as little to do with the 'pre-seven' church as conservatism has to do with classical music training.

Of course if there were a conspiracy this exactly what Ken would expect me to say.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Carol
    MBWittry, your letter is most amazing! Your commitment is admirable. I wonder if part of the problem is the person to whom you are sending music that you have selected for the school Masses. You are, in effect, dictating her plans. Teachers are very territorial by nature- "My classroom..." is a phrase heard many times a day in the faculty room! I have no idea if this is your case and you seem like a person who knows how to work with people, but it is the one area that was not really detailed in your letter. Perhaps that person is complaining to the person to whom you directed your letter. Some people are too timid to be direct or think it would be un-Christian to approach you, but they will complain to others.

I hope you will persevere and find a solution to your problem and be able to stay. There is nothing so joyful as listening to children whom you have taught praise God in worshipful song.
  • God bless you and thank you! I am happy to write that I am in communication every week with each teacher who plans the Mass. Five years ago when I started, I always offered to have them work with me to plan the Mass, and several did. Over the course of time, I built up enough trust with the teachers that they just allow me to plan the music, and I always keep them informed, and give them the option to make suggestions. So, that is not an issue.

And, I am happy to report, thankfully, that the assistant principal just came upstairs after Mass this morning, and we had a good, candid dialogue; best one yet. And, we spoke about clapping at Mass, and I suggested that clapping to their 'fun' songs would be better served in the school, and not in the church. So, she is at least thinking and considering the thoughts I shared in the letter. :) Thanks for your prayers. Maybe I don't have to job search after all! I can go a long way with a bit of positive feedback........
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • Carol
    Mbwittry, that is so true! We can persevere when we feel we are making a positive impact! I miss being in the community of a Catholic school and know God will bless your efforts, although sometimes it takes time to see the fruit of His hand in our lives.
    Thanked by 1mbwittry
  • a_f_hawkins
    Interesting comment here at ccwatershed on the tastes of children.
    Thanked by 1mbwittry
  • Thank you, Carol! And, thank you A.F. Hawkins for the article. Also, so true! :)
  • Mbwittry,

I was JUST about to link to my article at ccwatershed when I saw it had been done by a_f_hawkins. For many years our school selected and prepared all of the music for the school Masses. Then it was put into our hands at the parish. Lots of complaining when changes were made. Here is what has allowed us to continue moving forward - the pastor sat down with the school and told them this is the way things are going to be now. I think that's really the only way to get some breathing room. I admire your commitment. Best wishes to you.
    Thanked by 2mbwittry Earl_Grey
  • Glad to hear that your dialog is progressing.

In your original post you asked about documents or sources you could cite in your conversations. I think your letter covered most of the important points from relevant documents. Although I agree with your largely negative assessment of the Directory for Masses with Children (DMC), you might be able to use a couple of passages to help broaden and deepen your conversation—especially on the general topic of involving the whole child.

I’m thinking in particular of DMC §2: “recent psychological study has established how profoundly children are formed by the religious experience of infancy and early childhood, because of the special religious receptivity proper to those years.” The question of how to involve the whole child, this suggests, should be ask: What practices will will best nurture this special religious receptivity? Remembering especially the provision of DMC §22: “In all this, it should be kept in mind that external activities will be fruitless and even harmful if they do not serve the internal participation of the children.”

An evaluation of the most common adaptations of liturgy for children from the point of this special religious receptivity is found in an article by Mark Searle, a liturgist who was associate professor of theology at the University of Notre Dame. Searle would be generally classified as a “progressive” in matters of liturgy, but on this subject and some others, those of more traditional bent could find his remarks well worth reflecting on. He was a layman and had children of his own, so his views here are likely to reflect his concrete experience with his own children, and not merely academic liturgical theory.

Some excerpts from the article are attached.
  • Carol
    Beautiful sentiments in the above from Mark Searle. As a longtime first grade teacher in a Catholic school, I strongly agree with these thoughts. Children can be taught to sit quietly and meditate. Of course it is easier for some than for others, but all children, with help and encouragement, can train themselves to become quiet and learn to reflect. It's often the adults who get anxious or think it is beyond them.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bhcordova
  • Amen! Thanks for the helpful and encouraging words, dear piers. I am certainly back in the trenches. And, yes I was taken with those same words from the 1973 Directive. It all makes me so sad that the Council moved so far away from the path of origin..........Lots of misguided souls with wonderful intent. I need always to remember to be kind, patient, and loving. In all my working years as a liturgical musician, this may be my greatest challenge yet......and, I have had many, many challenges. Please continue to pray for me, and I will pray for all of you!
  • Thank you, Susan, for the beautiful excerpt from Mark Searle......I could not agree more. This is most helpful!
  • Teaching the "whole child": As a mother and a teacher, I agree the theory is right on, and not just for children, for everyone. This is one thing that attracted me to the Catholic Church, it involves the whole person. I found the "outward acts of piety" in Catholic worship very appealing, coming out of a rather staid Lutheran tradition. We are physical beings.

Children, and adults, are harmed, not helped, when denied the beauty, Truth and tradition(s) of our Catholic Faith in catechesis and worship. Children are harmed, not helped, when we fail to teach them to grow up properly but instead encourage childishness. These children end up as the whiny childish college students ubiquitous on our campuses today, and later as whiny childish adults (ubiquitous today in society, to state the obvious).
  • Yeah, sigh.........I couldn't agree more.......if our Sacrifice of the Mass is the most important thing we do in our week, we need to be so very careful........And, beauty and reverence are essential..........
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • Children understand the Pauline philosophy of life when it comes to 'childish things' better than anyone else . . . they want to act like adults. That's why girls take care of their dolls and boys like to play "war". That's what the see adults doing. It's ignorant to think that doesn't apply to music as well - to think that children want to do the sort of trite banality passing for 'children's music' nowadays.

On a side note, every time I see the title of this thread, it reminds me of the best television show of the 1990s - you know, the one where Ed O'Neill brags to his wife Katey Sagal about the time he scored four touchdowns in a single game? (Yeah, I've still got growing up to do as well.)