Book Review: The Suicide of Altering the Faith in the Liturgy (now including other comments)
  • francis
    Charles said:

My objection is not to the Latin Church liturgy, but to those who maintain it came forth from Trent in perfect and heavenly form and that the Church is doomed and falling apart because it is no longer the principal liturgy of the western Church.
    No one is maintaining this position. Where did we say this?

And I think you need to understand that it is not mainly the form but the theology linked to the form and is the BASIS of the form; mainly the theology of sacrifice. The 'next' version of the NO will be very telling.
  • CharlesW
    No one is maintaining this position. Where did we say this?

From reading page after page of posts, it greatly surprises me that you say you are not maintaining that position. I read little but unbridled gushing and pining for the TLM, and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments over the Novus Ordo and how it is destroying the Faith.

I do not agree that the TLM could save the Church. Even if it were reinstated universally tomorrow, little would change. As I mentioned in my previous post, people are not leaving the Church over liturgy and music. To most those are irrelevant.

We could get them to all come back if we ordained women, accepted same sex marriage, were more "inclusive" and downplayed divorce and remarriage. We wouldn't be Catholic anymore, but what the hey. The building and our coffers would be full.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Then you are reading INTO what I am saying (because you have a perceived notion that everyone just wants the TLM - Gregorian Chant, etc. etc.), and not grasping what is underneath. This has nothing to do with church music or the vestments. It has to do with the tradition handed down to us, which was CHANGED INTO A NEW RITE. Hence why much of the church is following a novelty.
  • CharlesW
    Only people are in error, not the Church in its teachings and worship. That's what I keep being told again and again. LOL
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • francis
    Are you saying a clown mass in not an error but only those celebrating it? If form is not important (as is what I am trying to promote) then anything goes; clowns, fish kites, puppets and all. And that is where we have arrived.
  • CharlesW
    The Novus Ordo does not teach error. It may emphasize a theological point more or less prominently than the TLM, but it doesn't teach error. There are those who like to pull out minor things and go off the deep end with them - remember all the inane bickering over pro multis when we all knew what it actually meant? That went on for years!

I have never seen one of those fabled clown masses and think there is some scare mongering going on when that subject comes up. Those clown masses are a boogeyman of sorts. I wonder if most who talk about them have ever actually seen one. The fact that a group of crazy and senile old sisters or some aging hippies hold a meeting and do crazy stuff means relatively little to the wider Church. Those folks are like gnats - annoying, but of no importance.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ken, I didn't mean to put you on the spot---I just think Cardinal Ratzinger's statement is so compelling coming as it does from someone of his stature, but you also make valuable points about the tremendous negative impact that Catholics' behavior and lack of integrity/kindness has on others, and I imagine emotional dissonance in some individuals can be just as damaging as cognitive dissonance in others.

However, I don't think you can underestimate the fact that the liturgy, the Mass, is the primary vehicle of expression of the Catholic faith. As Pope Pius XII said in Mediator Dei:

The worship she offers to God, all good and great, is a continuous profession of Catholic faith and a continuous exercise of hope and charity, as Augustine puts it tersely. "God is to be worshipped," he says, "by faith, hope and charity."[44] In the sacred liturgy we profess the Catholic faith explicitly and openly, not only by the celebration of the mysteries, and by offering the holy sacrifice and administering the sacraments, but also by saying or singing the credo or Symbol of the faith - it is indeed the sign and badge, as it were, of the Christian - along with other texts, and likewise by the reading of holy scripture, written under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. The entire liturgy, therefore, has the Catholic faith for its content, inasmuch as it bears public witness to the faith of the Church.

How we worship determines how we believe and vice versa, and is the fact that so many Catholics are ignorant of the most basic tenets of the faith since the post-Conciliar liturgical reforms simply a coincidence? I think not.

[As an aside, I take your points re: making people feel welcome at Mass very much to heart and readily concede that this is a problem at some Latin Mass venues I've visited. Taking our pastor's lead, we've taken great pains to make the people at our EF Missa Cantata feel valued and welcomed. It does indeed make a difference.]
  • CharlesW
    Sad to say, the Church in the U.S. at the time of Vatican II was fat, lazy, out of touch, smug and far too comfortable with itself. The culture was changing rapidly and the Church made little effort to accommodate and deal with those changes. I think the U.S. bishops likely didn't even see any of it coming until it hit them between the eyes. The administrative structures of the parishes, schools, and even religious orders rapidly collapsed and couldn't deal with any of it. The result was wide-spread chaos for years to come.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • GavinGavin
    What we are fighting for here is the Classical Roman Rite

No. Maybe you are, but we (the CMAA) aren't.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    But why the rapid collapse? I'm reading the history of my diocese called Richly Blessed and have to pick my chin up off the floor when it details the huge number of teaching sisters and the number of Catholic schools and churches being built during the post-war Baby Boom on Long Island and a mere ten years later, after all the liturgical changes, many of those nuns were gone, and brand-new schools were being closed and locked up forever.

I'm trying to refrain from using a post hoc ergo propter hoc argument (cf. Liam), but isn't it a bit of a stretch to claim that Catholics who underwent the sudden and radical liturgical changes weren't shell-shocked and bewildered to say the least?

As long as we're using anecdotal evidence, I know many Catholics who left the Church precisely because of all the changes and justify their apostasy with that old tired-out saying: "I didn't leave the Church; the Church left me."
  • kenstb
    Julie,
    Thanks for your comments. Feel free to put me on the spot. A little thought about the faith is good for the mind and soul. I am a lover of the Latin liturgy, and your reference to Eugenio Pacelli is of particular meaning to me. Pius XII was one of the greatest men to lead the church. He is much maligned and not spoken of nearly as often as he deserves to be. Pius XII was (IMHO) the true spiritual descendant of Leo XIII. Much of the catholic church in the developing world owes its existence to the influence of Pius XII.
    AS an aside, Eugenio Pacelli was consecrated a bishop on the very day that a mysterious and beautiful lady appeared to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal.
  • CharlesW
    Pius XII should be canonized and is more deserving of the honor than some others who will remain nameless.

JulieColl, a number of things were going on at the time. The Vietnam war did not unite the country as previous wars had done, it divided it and put segments of it against each other. Contraception and divorce emerged from the shadows. Young people who were my age at the time were spoiled, entitled, and had been led to believe it was all about themselves. Music changed from happy and innocent to a means of protest and the drug culture exploded. Did I mention the sexual revolution? A lot of discontent was simmering under the surface and it finally exploded.

We had become new and enlightened people, or so we thought and were told. Old forms and institutions were not adequate for enlightened people and new ones were needed. One of the side effects of the drug explosion, and it is hard to say which came first, was an enormous pursuit of eastern mysticism and religion. Traditional religion was seen as dead and offering no answers or solutions to the problems of modern people. I guess you just had to be there at that time.
    Thanked by 2dad29 JulieColl
  • kenstb
    I was there, Charles. I agree with you that Pius XII was and is a saint. What you forgot to include was the rise of the culture of death. Abortion, divorce, broken families and wasted lives. Penitentiaries filled with young people looking to be led (the traditional job of a father). In many cities such as New York, a new drug came into vogue every ten years. For example: (1960's-heroin; 1970's-PCP; 1980's - crack cocaine; 1990's - meth) Once we as a society forgot about the dignity of each human person, everything else fell away.
    Think about it. In NYC, the politicians took the mention of God out of classrooms and put birth control in...and WE let them do it! Is it a surprise that nothing lasting was dreamed of and accomplished in the way of advancing the human family? In a culture that seeks its own gratification at all costs, is it any wonder that so many young people lack a father and mother who love God and their children and demand great things of them?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    I know. It is diabolical how so many things came together at that time, and none of them worked for the greater good.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Liam
    Julie

On suburban LI, which is where I grew up in the 1960s, the people who were disaffected by the liturgical changes were attracted to Fr de Pauw. But they were relatively few; it was considered quite fringe. The vast bulk of folks who left active practice left because of Humanae Vitae and related matters. I still remembering hearing the discussions among the adults when I was a kid (those were not times where children were shielded as much anymore - the images from the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam we saw every night disabused us from such delicacies). My parents, ardently against contraception (they wanted 8 children but settled on 6 when they had what might be now called a special needs child), explained how confessional practice before HV had been presuming a different result than what ultimately was published in HV; during the preceding years of the 1960s after the advent of the Pill in 1961, confessional lines for the "pastoral" priests were long, those for the less "pastoral" priests were short - and it was mostly women in the lines, as the women took the burden of confessing since they took the Pill, but the men largely engaged in what might be called don't ask don't tell on the topic when it came up with priests, if my memory of my parents' critical explanations is more or less faithful. My parents, very devout, missed certain aspects of the old rite (my father had been an altar boy for years in a German national parish in CT in the 1930s), but largely welcomed the liturgical changes otherwise and I can remember it being generally welcomed, with some aspects being more puzzling than alienating or disaffecting.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • dad29
    Yah, the post/propter thing has a LOT of propters. It's too easy to say 'the changes in the Mass,' because there were all the other triggers mentioned above.

I keep saying that the prosperity of the West beginning in the mid-'50's and peaking (arguably) in the early '00's was also one of the causes. We had--for the most part--heaven on earth. Comfort, food, clean water, appliances, tools (etc.) No, they were not equally shared, but poverty like that found in the Third World? We're not even close.

So who needs pie in the sky?

/Rant
  • francis
    Well, once again I thank you all for taking your time and the daring to express your thoughts (Liam, Charles, Julie, kenstb, dad29, Andrew, Salieri, Kathy and all others who contributed to this discussion) for your comments, information, and participation... it is invaluable to me, and certainly all of us in some way to understand the past 50 years of this time of unmatched change and difficulty as musicians who serve in the Roman Rite.

I and my family have suffered an unmeasurable amount of psychological, emotional, spiritual and material trial and loss as a result of the great 'diabolical confusion' that has swept through our church. Your comments and concern and dialogue help to ease in some way the burden.

I thank you.

"Bear ye one another's burdens; and so you shall fulfil the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka kenstb
  • CharlesW
    One of the things I have learned is that change is inevitable. It comes whether you want it or not and it doesn't care whether or not you are prepared for it. You either keep your eyes and ears open and learn to manage it, or it will manage you. The Church at the time was asleep, was ill-prepared for change, and did a wretched job of managing it. The fact that all the other institutions from government on down didn't do any better, just compounded the problem.

I have not suffered personally to the degree Francis indicates he and his family suffered. I refuse to. The things I can improve I will. The things I can't are what they are, and are best left in the hands of God. A significant lesson I have learned from scripture is the wisdom to recognize when to shake the dust from my sandals and move on.
  • SalieriSalieri
    What we are fighting for here is the Classical Roman Rite

No. Maybe you are, but we (the CMAA) aren't.

Gavin, the 'we' I was referring to are those of us who find the post-concilliar Liturgical 'Reform' disturbing, as well as all the rest of the upheaval and loss of Religion after the Council, and are committed to promoting and defending the Classical Latin Rite; not the CMAA. Sorry if I was unclear!
  • CharlesW
    Salieri, are you proposing to take up the serpent in defense of the rite as your photo suggests? ;-)
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • francis
    After this long discussion, I finally realized that I was just not 'getting it!' Here is the theology that explains it all:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/07/two-plus-two-makes-three-after-mass.html
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    2+2=3 is something a musician should have experienced already.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Ah, Catholic math. LOL. Like the article states, we live in a post-logical age. It is also a post-Christian age. What the folks at RC don't get, being isolated on their flat planet for too long, is that the majority of Catholics don't care about them or their favored rite of worship. They are off doing something else and for the most part, are not looking back. Actually, there is not much looking forward either. We live in the world of right now.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Says it all right there, Francis, says it all. Thank you for posting that.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Catholic math.
    Surely, this is 1+1+1=1, sometimes rendered as 3=1.

2+2=3 is something a musician should have experienced already.

A mathematical logician once gave a lecture that included the fact that, using the rules of formal logic, anything follows by assuming a falsehood.
    During the question and answer session that followed, someone in the audience asked the following:

I'm not sure that I understand how anything can follow from a falsehood, so could you explain how it follows from assuming 2=1 that you are the Pope?

The lecturer thought for a moment and replied as follows:

If 2=1, then one and one are two, and hence one and one are one. Surely the Pope is one, and I am one. Therefore, since one and one are one, the Pope and I are one.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, I'm glad you mentioned that post at RC. I read it also and hopefully when we resume the Follies at DuhKESSneh (and the composer forum) we can have a couple of gifted mimics re-enact the dialogue. Yes, Darling, I'm looking at you. BTW, had the fish pate last night, still the best even after two days in the heat in my unpacked suitcase in the garage.
    I digress.
    Who'd a thunk that LOL humour woulda showed up at RC?
  • francis
    melo

lol. hope you enjoyed your stay. i envy all of you for seeing, hearing and taking in beautiful liturgy... say a HM for me.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl melofluent
  • teachermom24
    What a lot to take in! I've been AWOL a while so missed this (thank you, Francis, for directing me back).

Just something of a personal reflection . . .

I came into the Church in 2004 (officially, that is, but was on my way since 1998) out of the Lutheran church (LCMS), blessed with a solid Christian upbringing and education. When I mentioned to my Catholic-convert cousin at her daughter's wedding in 2004 that I was now Catholic too (thinking she'd appreciate the Catholic "company" in our solidly Lutheran family), her response was, "Why on earth did you do that? Why now?" (This was at the pinnacle of the priest sexual abuse scandal.)

That summed up the situation perfectly and the truth of the humorous 2+2=3 dialog. That God is still calling and bringing people, like myself, into the Holy Catholic Church amidst the confusion is truly remarkable--but He is and I think He has a further task for people like me who have been able to find His true Church despite the obstacles, which is to help other find their way too, particularly the next generation (my children most especially).

Kathy

Thanked by 2CHGiffen kenstb
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much to Liam, Ken and Charles for putting the liturgical reforms in context. I don't remember much about the '60's, but I can remember the psychedelic '70's and the polyester pant suits and shaded glasses. Egad.

What I don't get is this, and maybe you can shed some light on this. The 60's and 70's were 40 years ago and the "New Mass" and post-Vatican II culture has had almost total hegemony for close to 50 years. I can understand one decade of confusion, but the status and population of the Catholic Church has suffered a rapid downhill slide ever since demographically, morally, spiritually, and liturgically.

Before Vatican II, 3 out of 4 Catholics attended Sunday Mass, now it's less than 1 in 4 in the U.S.; and in the single digits in Europe. At what point will the post-Conciliar reforms kick in and produce believing, faithful, knowledgeable Catholics? It better be soon, or there's going to be nothing left, and I don't mean to be polemical here.

It's just that the news of "dozens" of Catholic churches closing in the Archdiocese of NY which serves 2.5 million Catholics, has me really spooked. What also has me quite "consternated" are the images from the 2014 Pride Parade down 5th Avenue, which I'm assuming passed right in front of St. Patrick's with our Catholic governor leading the way with his live-in girlfriend on his arm---a Catholic whom our Cardinal-Archbishop has conceded is a "Catholic in good standing."

Now I know things can always get worse, but the fact this bacchanalian display on the streets of Manhattan has garnered not one peep of protest from our Catholic leaders has me even more spooked. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize how outrageous the Pride Parades are. I'm surprised no one was arrested for indecent exposure.

What does this have to do with liturgy? Catholics believe and live as they pray. If Catholics really believed their faith (and just believed in the Ten Commandments, for starters) this kind of obscenity and blasphemy would never be tolerated in a city that is 42% Catholic.
  • CharlesW
    Some of our Catholic "leaders" are not very effective at what they do. There are good bishops out there, but they don't attract the publicity some of the more flashy types get. Some of the people who are in religious orders, teaching and administrative positions are the ones who still hold those 70s and 80s views. In my opinion, some of them were never worthy to be in the positions they hold. I think another factor is that a kind of inertia has set in. With many Catholics there is a leave me alone mentality. They are tired of it all and just want to go along. I am encouraged by the seminarians and newly ordained priests I have met. There is reason for hope there, I think.

My body was never adapted to those polyester pant suits. Have you met anyone who actually looked good in those? I remember when the opposite sex was into wearing stretch pants. The trouble was that those were in practice, stretched pants. LOL.
  • Liam
    JulieColl

Since it's 2014, it might help to consider something that happened 100 years ago this summer that was foundational for the following 100 years.

While the Reformation and then the Thirty Years War and Enlightenment and French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars and various wars of revolution in the first half of the 19th century all played significant roles in undermining established authorities, World War I was a disaster for authority on a different level, in part because industrialized technologies of transportation, communication and globalization (colonization on a intensive global scale supported by combustion engine shipping, railways, telegraphy and then wireless communications, et cet.) vastly intensified damages and their ripple effects. For the US and Japan alone among the major WW1 powers, WW1 was not as devastating an experience for authority as for the rest; our dislocations occurred on a lag. (Japan is a special case I won't treat here.) For the US, that anti-authority tsunami came after the cresting of the post-WW2 boom. And then it hit with a vengeance. The Catholic Church was not immune to it, and retaining the 1962 Missal would not, in my opinion, have had enduring positive effects against that wave.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • CharlesW
    My reading of events after WW I is that the U.S. and its allies undermined the power structure and economy of Europe. There was little political continuity after the war. The U.S. was not exactly friendly to Catholicism, either. It helped set the conditions in place that allowed Hitler to take advantage of the chaos and rise to power.
  • Liam
    FWIW, Pride marches (now parades) have been going down Fifth Avenue since the 1970s, IIRC, and were once far more outrageous, if memory serves, than they typically are today, when they've become heavy with corporate-sponsored groups. Catholic cities have long been known by Protestants to be relatively tolerant of outrageous public carnivals for many centuries: Venice, German Carnival cities, and New Orleans & Rio just to name a few (Pride has nothing on Mardi Gras for mass public obscenity - hey, I was in New Orleans for Halloween when it fell on a Saturday in the early '90s and what I saw there was quite outrageous too.)
  • Liam
    CharlesW

The long-term effect of World War 1 for the US was that it sealed the foundation of our economic hegemony. We profited immensely from being a major supplier* and principal creditor.

* An interesting echo of what happened for the US during part of the Jefferson Administration.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Alright, Liam, you make an excellent point about how the Enlightenment paved the way for anti-authoritarian attitudes, etc., but I'm still not ready to concede that the Novus Ordo has not contributed significantly to the dissolution of Faith that we see all around us.

Catholic leadership has indeed devolved as a result of popular pressure and attitudes, but is the Novus Ordo merely a neutral development alongside that devolution? I would maintain that far from being neutral, the post-Conciliar liturgical reform was a handy vehicle for promoting the revolution since its (intended?) plasticity and flexibility allows it to become whatever its managers want it to be.

On the contrary, no one could ever take the 1962 Missal and use it to celebrate and bless (in extreme cases, to be sure) the agenda of Marxists, active homosexuals, modernists, and others who have, to their eternal discredit, used the Holy Mass to prop up their own erroneous political/philosophical/ideological aims.
  • CharlesW
    Liam, that entire era is fascinating. I found it interesting that Archduke Franz Ferdinand was the person who could have effected change in the empire. He held the view that a multi-ethnic empire dominated by Austrians and Hungarians could not survive. His death ended the best real chance the minorities had of equal representation and treatment.

Interesting, also, that the two people who inherited thrones, Blessed Charles and Nicholas II, were good men who were not particularly good leaders. Saintly, yes I believe, since I have icons of both.

Something I have puzzled about for the war's aftermath. I can't imagine President Wilson endorsing the idea of a Catholic empire in central Europe. That was the last thing he wanted. Of course, the Treaty of Versailles was so punitive it put Germany in an intolerable position, but that's another story.

As I said, fascinating stuff!
  • CharlesW
    I would maintain that far from being neutral, the post-Conciliar liturgical reform was a handy vehicle for promoting the revolution since its (intended?) plasticity and flexibility allows it to become whatever its managers want it to be.

I am no rabid promoter of the NO and sure, it created some problems. It is the liturgy we have been given and is what most of us have to work within. As for using it to their own ends, those who use the Church more than they serve it is nothing new. I have no difficulty seeing the differences between the old and new Roman Rites, but I have no authority to determine which rite is dominant.

In an interview with Fr. Gabriel Bunge, who wrote the wonderful book, "Earthen Vessels: The Practice of Personal Prayer According to the Patristic Tradition," he explains why he left Catholicism for Orthodoxy. I will put the link below Julie, since you may find it interesting. But Fr. Gabriel mentions something about the new rite which I will post although I am tired of cut-and-paste threads.

—Just as an aside, last spring there was a delegation from Russia present at a celebration in Sicily commemorating the aid given by Russian soldiers to victims of the great Messina earthquake in 1908. The Russian clergy present were invited to serve the Liturgy for the local Orthodox congregation in the Capella Palatina in Palermo. —Ah, beautiful. The Russians continually celebrate solemn Liturgies in the St. Nicholas Cathedral in Bari. I have seen one Liturgy there celebrated by a Russian Metropolitan, about 20 priests, with a large choir. And I thought, “That is the Liturgy required by this beautiful cathedral. But when it was over, the Latin mass started… and you want to cry. You want to ask, “What are you doing here?” In a way, this is something out of the ordinary, but it shows that many Catholics are not sure any more that they are right.

Here is the link to the article

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/65138.htm
  • Liam
    Julie

I fear you may be kidding yourself if you think the preconciliar worship culture (the issue is fundamentally broader than the missal forms themselves) could not be used to prop up erroneous beliefs. I would not anachronistically retroject in time the current situation where use of the preconciliar worship culture is exclusive to people who elect (a modern, not traditional, thing btw) to choose it and then cultivate it intentionally. Whatever worship forms are the default use can be used to prop up erroneous beliefs.

Charles

I am not sold on Nicholas II necessarily being so saintly (pious I will concede, though) before his final passion and death, btw. In my fantasies of if-onlys, high on my list is Alexander II *not* being assassinated, having a much longer reign*, and taking the training of Nicholas for affairs of state much more directly in hand.

* The anti-Semitic reaction of the reign of his successor did *enormous* damage by destabilizing the border regions between the Slavic and Germanic empires through forced relocation of the Russian Jewish population and emigration of valuable populations.
  • CharlesW
    Alexander's death changed everything for the worse, no question about that. The Russian Church labels Nicholas II a passion-bearer, not a martyr.
  • francis
    Charles said:
    They are tired of it all and just want to go along.
    Yea, boiling frog syndrome, and now it is almost complete thorughout the entire Catholic world.

JulieColl said:
    I would maintain that far from being neutral, the post-Conciliar liturgical reform was a handy vehicle for promoting the revolution since its (intended?) plasticity and flexibility allows it to become whatever its managers want it to be.
    This has been stated as the philosophy by the writers of VII.
  • kenstb
    The true reason for the devastation which swept through Europe after World War I was that none of the so-called powers of that day listened to to the wisdom of Benedict XV. He called the war the suicide of civilized Europe, and he was right. He also wrote to the bishops in communion with Rome to protest what he saw as a diminution in the quality of priests that the seminaries were producing. He was quite a visionary, as is his namesake.

Julie, as for our so called "catholic" governor in NY, I am horrified that our cardinal archbishop has had nothing to say about the life he seems to hold out to the public. Personally, I don't really care about who he lives with or what he does on his own time, after all, it's his own immortal soul that he is risking and I'm not certain that he believes that he has one. What perturbs me is that he is openly and notoriously espousing positions which fly in the face of what we claim to have believed. The problem is that we go along with the labels that people use and fail to speak out about the substance beneath the surface. The man is not a catholic. His life proclaims that his words are untrue. I am not troubled by this. During the sex abuse crisis, I always took the position that a person can call himself anything. It is his life that speaks to what he is. Thomas Aquinas said, action follows being. He was right. In order for what you and I have seen to happen, there must be a consistent push to deny the existence of sin. (I think that my friend Francis will agree with me here) The long term effect of this denial is what we see now...abortion on demand, a redefinition of the sacrament of marriage, so-called free love, etc... And the result? Young women effectively sterilized by the abortion mills even though science has proved that babies are not part of their mother's bodies. For the adherents of free love...the majority of African American children in NYC live in single parent homes. Why? No one is preaching personal responsibility anymore. Children raising children...and on and on.

With respect to how the liturgy flew so completely out of hand in this country after VII, there are many reasons. To an extent, most of our elders were not interested in fighting at church for the liturgy they deserved. To be quite honest, I understand. I fight with people every day in court, verbally and with the written word. The last thing that I want to do on my own time is argue with a priest who has his own ideas about liturgy, especially when the bishop will not back me up even when I am correct. For some people, it was easier to leave, and they did. It seems to me that the episcopacy was simply interested in keeping any explosions from happening on their watch. Some still are.

What I would like to see (especially since pope emeritus Benedict XVI hinted at it) is for some of the form of the EF to be returned to the OF. For example, the full Confiteor and the triple Kyrie. Simple English Propers are a good start for parishes with no facility in Latin. The work that we do now as liturgical musicians hopefully will help to restore some of the majesty that was so easily discarded in favor of what was new. This is an exciting time and a challenging one. We do struggle against spiritual wickedness in very high places. Nevertheless, "...the gates of hell will not prevail against it."
  • chonakchonak
    [Sinking the thread. It's nearly a month old. --admin]
    Thanked by 1Spriggo