Book Review: The Suicide of Altering the Faith in the Liturgy (now including other comments)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    LOL about NY or Long Island being depopulated (as I sit in a 10-mile traffic jam on the Southern State.)
  • francis
    Liam said:

I don't set too much store by long messages in visions. ...I also have a general spiritual warning system about stirring spiritual neuralgia.

This argument does not stand for the Fatima warning. It was sent to all mankind as it was accompanied by displays in the portent to 70,000 people and reported widely in the press. Also, the Vatican revealed part of the message in 2000 to the entire world. If it is not important, then why do such a thing? If it truly WAS Our Lady speaking to us, and we choose to ignore it, then we each will suffer the question when we appear before God.

Akita was a warning that followed partly because NO ONE LISTENED to the first few warnings and is unfolding now. You can ignore it (as most the world does), but the fire is here.

BTW... the people in Noah's time also avoided spiritual neuralgia.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    However you spin it, it's alarming to hear that "dozens" of Manhattan's beautiful and historic churches are going to be closed in the imminent future. This, in a metropolis where 2.5 million Catholics reside.

I might cheerfully assign a lot of blame for different things on to the Obama administration and the dire economic situation created by its policies, but even I wouldn't blame them for the massive scale of Catholic church closings in the Northeast and elsewhere.
  • CharlesW
    Apostolic canons from the Church Fathers are considered part of revealed truth. Dogma is just a particularly rabid Latin dog with Scholastic tendencies. LOL.

Where I see a problem in the excessive attention to ritual, is that no one really wants to become a Pharisee and be so obsessed with practice they forget the faith. I think the cart gets before the horse in some of this.

Fatima seems to have been rather simple on the face of it. Then Fr. Gruner and the apocalyptic folks got into it and mucked it all up.
  • Liam
    "Fatima seems to have been rather simple on the face of it. Then Fr. Gruner and the apocalyptic folks got into it and mucked it all up."

This. That is a simpler way of making the point I tried to make.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    No one can hide behind Fr. Gruner or ANY other imperfect messenger, including myself. And certainly those who squelched or belittled or burried the message, yes, everyone will be held accountable who knew it, especially the Church itself through which it was suppose to be proclaimed (bishop, priest and prelate).
  • francis
    This just showed up in my email inbox and is quite timely.
    “In such an extremity, in such a desperate state of affairs, where evil has taken over a world soon to be consumed in flames, what are all the true Christians to do, all good men, all Saints, all men with any faith and courage? Grappling with a situation more clearly impossible than ever, with a redoubled energy by their ardent prayer, by their active works and by their fearless struggles they will say, O God, O Father in Heaven, hallowed be thy name on earth as it is in Heaven, thy kingdom come on earth as it is in Heaven, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. On earth as it is in Heaven! And they will still be murmuring these words while the very earth is giving way beneath their feet."

“And just as once upon a time, following upon an appalling military disaster the whole Roman Senate and State officials of all ranks could be seen going out to meet the defeated consul and to congratulate him on not having despaired of the Roman Republic; so likewise the senate of Heaven, all the Choirs of angels, all ranks of the Blessed will come out to meet the generous athletes of the Faith who will have fought to the bitter end, hoping against hope itself."

“And then that impossible ideal that the elect of all ages had obstinately pursued will become a reality. In his Second and final Coming the Son will hand over the Kingdom of this world to God his Father, the power of evil will have been cast out for ever into the depths of the abyss; whatever has refused to be assimilated and incorporated into God through Jesus Christ by faith, love and observance of the law will be flung into the sewer of everlasting filth. And God will live and reign for ever and ever, not only in the oneness of his nature and in the society of the three divine Persons, but also in the fullness of the Mystical Body of his Incarnate Son and in the fulfilment of the Communion of Saints!” Cardinal Pie

A little about Pie.
    Cardinal Pie was held in high esteem by several popes, most particularly Pope St. Pius X. Beyond using the same motto as the bishop, Pius X studied the works of Cardinal Pie assiduously. To some Poitevin clergy visiting Rome, he admitted the influence of Pie’s works over his own thought. He said, “I have read nearly all of the works of your cardinal, and there are many years in which I have scarcely passed a day without reading some of his pages.”

Bishop Pie saw naturalism as the chief heresy of the modern age and combated it vigorously. As Leo XIII described it in Humanum Genus, naturalism is the doctrine stating “that human nature and human reason ought in all things to be mistress and guide.” Pie himself defines it thus, “This independent and repulsive attitude of nature with regard to the supernatural and revealed order, properly constitutes the heresy of naturalism.” In short, he called it “anti-Christianity.” Continuing on, he insists, “By neither allowing the Incarnation of the natural Son of God nor the divine adoption of man to remain, it suppresses Christianity both at its top and at its bottom, it harms it in its source and in its branches.” Comparing naturalism with ordinary heresy, he states, “Heresy denies one or several dogmas; naturalism denies that there are dogmas, and that there may be any. Heresy more or less alters divine revelations; naturalism denies that God is revealer; heresy dismisses God from such or such portion of his kingdom; naturalism eliminates him from the world and from creation.” Crisis Magazine, May 16, 2013
  • CharlesW
    And certainly those who squelched or belittled or burried the message, yes, everyone will be held accountable who knew it, especially the Church itself through which it was suppose to be proclaimed (bishop, priest and prelate).

So who squelched or buried it? Pope John Paul II, one of all the post-Vatican II popes who were saints, released it. It is no longer a secret when everyone knows it.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Torculus
    A few months ago, while in the confessional, the (Novus Ordo) priest gave me a copy of The Fatima Crusader and told me to read it for my penance.
  • CharlesW
    Fr. Gruner finally stopped sending that rag to my house when he figured out I wasn't going to send him any money. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Torculus:

Which Issue of the FC?
  • francis
    So who squelched or buried it?

How curious are you?

I have been researching and following this since the early 1990s. It is difficult to understand and more difficult to reveal.
  • Torculus
    It was about a year ago when this happened and I don't remember which issue it was. I don't where it is but if I find it, I will let you know.
  • francis
    Torculus:

Thanks for the info.
  • dad29
    There are at least three different arguments/debates that could be made about this statement.

...beginning with the classical understanding of "participation" being binding oneself to Christ in self-sacrifice to the Father.

Just the first few lines of the Morning Offering reinforce that: ".....prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass...."
  • dad29
    But when the trial of this sifting is past, a great power will flow from a more spiritualized and simplified Church. Men in a totally planned world will find themselves unspeakably lonely. If they have completely lost sight of God, they will feel the whole horror of their poverty. Then they will discover the little flock of believers as something wholly new. They will discover it as a hope that is meant for them, an answer for which they have always been searching in secret.

Charles, it's entirely possible that the growth you see was foretold in that quote from Cdl Ratzinger. They are coming to the Truth, even if it is obscured by lousy praxis (but not in YOUR place, of course.)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Francis
    I'm at colloquium. We just finished the annual Requiem Mass. I am of the opinion that all Masses should be Requiem's.
    Please reference the homily Fr. Pasley gave at SLC 2012 and when it's out on audio his homily today regarding personal eschatology.
    Therein you will be reminded what Mother Church has taught us (as well as our Lord) about expectation of the cliche "End of days."
    A mania centered upon the Parousia is just parroting Scot's dispensationalists (I'm a Scotsman) which has proven wrong every date and theologically decidedly, repeatedly since the apostolic era.
    What is it you want us to concede?
  • francis
    melo:

Glad you could go to colloquium. Say hello to all for me.

All masses Requiem's--well, I guess always thinking of leaving earth could be good... or depressing. I wish I could go to one TLM but there are none to be found anywhere. I am only trying to defend the faith which is so diluted this day and age, nothing more. Have a great time.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • dad29
    Hmmmm.

When I was in grade school, we had Mass every day. At least 2 of the 5 were Requiem Masses said for the soul of one or the other faithful departed. Reading the translation of the Dies Irae was useful for the soul, until I went to the local Jebby high school and .....well......ya'know about that.
  • CharlesW
    Dad29, my parish is doing well. It isn't perfect and there is always more we could do. But many other places in the area are much, much worse. Something to be grateful for, anyway.
  • francis
    have we all been boiled?
    768 x 514 - 234K
  • kenstb
    Francis, I am unclear about how rituals become dogma in your view. Isn't some of your argument premised upon the idea that there was at some point a unified set of rituals accepted by everyone? You also said, regarding Fatima, “If it truly WAS Our Lady speaking to us, and we choose to ignore it, then we each will suffer the question when we appear before God.”-- That doesn't ring true to me, since no one can be held responsible for things that they have no way of knowing. Did you mean something else? In my view, the loss of catholic worshippers in the Northeast is less due to changed ritual and more a result of changing demographics, declining morals and perhaps a loss of belief in the reality of God.
  • francis
    kenstb

From Quo Primum:

"...Roman Church, the Mother and Teacher of the other churches, and let Masses not be sung or read according to any other formula than that of this Missal published by Us. This ordinance applies henceforth, now, and FOREVER, throughout all the provinces of the Christian world..."

I guess the word 'FOREVER' has a different meaning in these modern times...?

As per Fatima,

"...choose to ignore it" assumes one hears and understands the message and the warning. This goes for the Gospel also. If one never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no way for anyone to know the outcome of their salvation.

But if one knows the truth of she who appeared and gave warning, then is seems that to dismiss it as a 'private revelation' intended only for the seers that received it is absurd. To say that someone 'messed up the delivery' of the message and therefore it is corrupt is also absurd.

It is my view that the loss of faith (the Mass, the catechism, dogma, etc., etc.) resulted in all the events that followed into the dissolution of the faith.

Here is another interesting take along the same lines:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2011/11/it-is-time-for-heresy-of-formlessness.html

Some of the comments are just as good as the article. (And I do agree with the first comment that respecting diversity is in itself quite erroneous)
  • Liam
    The use of "forever" in papal disciplinary legislation does have a special interpretation. Because popes cannot bind their successors from legislating in turn, it essentially means "unless and until changed by one of my successors".

As for private revelation, fwiw, the Church teaches that the faithful are *not* bound to believe it. The faithful need to not deny that the Church has the power to determine whether private revelation *may or may not* be believed in by the faithful.
  • CharlesW
    The most the Church tends to say on any particular private revelation is that it is or is not worthy of belief. You are correct, Liam. No one is required to believe any private revelation. They are not essential to anyone's faith.

Quo Primum gets quoted a lot here, I have noticed. Pius V had no powers not granted to his successors and his decrees on rubrics don't bind them. What I think we run into on these discussions is that Francis, it seems, believes rubrics rise to the level of dogma. I don't accept that. What Pius V was free to decree any of his successors was/is free to change. A particular rite may do a better or worse job of teaching core doctrines, but is not dogma and can be changed by lawful authority.

Has it occurred to anyone else that to substitute one's own views for those of lawful authority is a Protestant position? Isn't that the essence of Protestantism - the lawful authority is wrong and my take on things is the right way? I am afraid some traditionalist-leaning folks may have gone so far that they are the new Protestants of our age.
  • francis
    The use of "forever" in papal disciplinary legislation does have a special interpretation. Because popes cannot bind their successors from legislating in turn, it essentially means "unless and until changed by one of my successors".

Can you provide sources?

Here is Fr. Kramer's rebuttal to the point that a Pope can change a Bull. Basically, even if he can, the content of Quo Primum is not the only be all end all of the dogma of the Mass, in fact it was established before Quo Primum. QP simply solidified the teaching.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Eucharist/quo-primum.htm

(as we can all see, this mass confusion (pun intended) and attack on the faith is reflected in the fact that our churches have emptied and very few are subscribing to the priesthood)
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Charles, what's to say that it hasn't all gone that way? Not saying that it absolutely has, but I'd like to entertain the theory. Proponents of the four-hymn sandwich who won't accept the previous identity of church music because they don't like it (preference based), and because it's "what the people want" essentially rejecting what the church held as beautiful and sacred, are they not exhibiting a form of Protestantism?

Why do we sing Shepherd Me O God instead of chanting Psalm 23? Because its "what the people want." Why do we sing a gathering hymn, such as Gather Us In even though it's text may have nothing to do with the Mass of the day (yes, I understand it fits the liturgical function of the procession and that said procession is technically not part of the Mass) instead of chanting the Introit? Because "the people can sing it." I may just be misguided about this and perhaps a bit dissolusioned, but does it not seem that music in the OF Mass in many places today is about the "people" and not the Mass?
  • francis
    Has it occurred to anyone else that to substitute one's own views for those of lawful authority is a Protestant position?
    Picking up on ClergetKubisz's thought, is it possible that a pope can do this? Isn't the 'lawful authority' that which is passed down and handed from pontiff to pontiff and recognized in document after confirming document and established in the very fabric of tradition? Is it possible that the 'whim' of a pope can introduce error? Is it possible to test truth or falsehood by examining the fruits thereof?
  • Liam
    Francis

You can certainly find sources on your own if you wish. I am not the research library, and these discussions are not scholarly, but casual. Suffice it to say that the "rebuttal" you posted presumes the existence of the sources you seek, as it were.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    In my view, the loss of catholic worshippers in the Northeast is less due to changed ritual and more a result of changing demographics, declining morals and perhaps a loss of belief in the reality of God.

RE; what you said above, Ken, are you so sure that the direct connection drawn by Cardinal Ratzinger between the disintegration of the liturgy and the crisis of faith is incorrect?

Just suppose the quote attributed to Cardinal Pacelli by his biographer, Msgr. George Roche, which is the title of this thread, is correct---that Cardinal Pacelli was worried by the warnings given by Our Lady of Fatima against the suicide of altering the liturgy?

If this statement is true, then Cardinal Ratzinger was indeed right, and the way we pray does affect the way we believe. Perhaps changing the ritual has helped lead to "declining morals" and "a loss of belief in reality of God," and the old maxim Lex orandi statuat legem credendi is validated yet again.

Remember, Cardinal Ratzinger had actually read the entire Third Secret of Fatima and in his 1984 interview with Messori said it contains dangers to the faith and life of Christians.

Later on, Ratzinger directly ties the loss of faith to the changes in the liturgy in this quote (given above):

I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy

So here's the question:

Which, if any, of the four propositions contained in this thesis of Cardinal Ratzinger do you disagree with:

a) that there is a crisis in the Church
    b) that we are experiencing it today
    c) that the liturgy is disintegrating
    d) that the crisis is in large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy

Perhaps the Cardinal is trying to tell us something?
  • francis
    Liam:

It would seem that if you present something as fact, it would be helpful to know where you found your info. Yes, I went out to find the source, and what appears on the surface seems to be a provocation to disbelieve the longstanding truth of tradition. Quo Primum is the destination point to where the Church arrived after centuries of thinking, believing, acting and establishing the core of the faith. That is why it is so often quoted because it is the 'full focus' of all that led up to that point in time, hence why the language is so strong.
  • Liam
    Francis

Where I initially found the info was a upper level collegiate course discussion of Quo Primum by a church historian and canonist. In the early 1980s. Over the years, I have read numerous further discussions on the issue, in print, on line, but I don't keep the reference handy because, as I said, I am not the research library and I don't treat internet discussions of the kind we have here as anything resembling serious scholarly discourse where we undertake formal bibliography and sourcing (I have been a journal editor and compliance editor in my time, so I am intimately familiar with the exigencies of sourcing, and then some). Again, if you want sourcing, you will be able to find it on your own. Suffice it to say that the rebuttal view you linked on Quo Primum has not been adopted by Church authority. It's a viewpoint. That's all.
  • francis
    Liam:

Well, everything here is a viewpoint for that matter. So why would you (we) even bother to entertain this discussion, and why does it continue to present itself time and time again, especially considering the weight of the questioning statements arising from the minds and hearts of pontiffs, theologians and canonists themselves? It does not go away.

There is an itch that continually needs to be scratched, and the more it is scratched the more we discover something under the skin that seems as though it could be fatal.

"et si dextera manus tua scandalizat te abscide eam et proice abs te expedit tibi ut pereat unum membrorum tuorum quam totum corpus tuum eat in gehennam" Matthew 5:30
  • Liam
    The itched is scratched by a fairly marginal (in the statistical, not pejorative, sense of that word) segment of the faithful. Personally, I don't see much spiritual profit in it, as it encourages a hermeneutic of suspicion and distrust, and feeds a kind of latter-day gnostic preference for what might be termed occult (not in the specifically demonic sense of that word, but its more generic sense) knowledge.
  • francis
    Perhaps someone should clue in the BVM and that dancing sun stuff.
  • In my view, the loss of catholic worshipers in the Northeast is less due to changed ritual and more a result of changing demographics, declining morals and perhaps a loss of belief in the reality of God.

I think it can be both, as well as a big honking helping of sexual abuse and cover-up. Yes, some people used this as an excuse to leave a faith they were already shying away from, but there's also no doubt that this massive breach of trust on the part of Church leadership has caused incalculable damage to the faithful, especially in the Ground Zero Northeast.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • francis
    AM:

Curious... where is 'ground zero northeast'?
  • Liam
    Francis

Last I heard, the messages of Fatima did not include a discussion of Quo Primum, which was the target of our more recent topical exchange.... Maybe there's a Fourth Message?

• francis
    Liam... there is no fourth message, but Socci wrote a book about the remaining part of the third.

http://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Secret-Fatima-Antonio-Socci/dp/1930278772

There is speculation that OLOF makes reference to the council in that part (so not Quo Primum specifically), but... who knows!?
  • By "Ground Zero Northeast," I mean specifically the Archdiocese of Boston, Ground Zero for the abuse scandal.
  • CharlesW
    Proponents of the four-hymn sandwich who won't accept the previous identity of church music because they don't like it (preference based), and because it's "what the people want" essentially rejecting what the church held as beautiful and sacred, are they not exhibiting a form of Protestantism?

From the position of the music director, it may not be a case of what the people want, but what your boss says the people want. You will do it if you want to remain employed. I am fortunate enough to not have been in that kind of parish for a number of years. However, it takes a good musician years to build a good program. It takes a nutty priest and an incompetent musician about one week to destroy it. As for the infamous 4-hymns, I was there when those started and we were told that is what we had to do.

Picking up on ClergetKubisz's thought, is it possible that a pope can do this?

Popes can do anything, at least according to you ultramontane Latins who think they are almost god-like. We easterners always looked at that with suspicion and distrust.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Popes can do anything, at least according to you ultramontane Latins who think they are almost god-like.

That could have been better phrased to consider that not all Latins are ultramontane.

Carry on.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    a) that there is a crisis in the Church

Yes, there is and it started at Pentecost.

b) that we are experiencing it today

Unlike some of our leaders, the Devil is very good at what he does.

c) that the liturgy is disintegrating

The disintegration started before Trent and was institutionalized by that council. There was a period of stability before it started up again.

d) that the crisis is in large due to the disintegration of the liturgy

I think the state of the liturgy is the symptom, not the cause. Perhaps the cart is before the horse.

That could have been better phrased to consider that not all Latins are ultramontane.

I know they are not, but far too many do hold to ultramontanism in practice. The Latin church kind of backed itself into a corner on that one.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    Maybe there's a Fourth Message?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Say it isn't so!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Liam
    It's a Fourth Massage. It got corrupted by the seer.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Excerpts from an interview with Pope Benedict XVI en route to Fatima in 2010:

Consequently, I would say that, here too, beyond this great vision of the suffering of the Pope, which we can in the first place refer to Pope John Paul II, an indication is given of realities involving the future of the Church, which are gradually taking shape and becoming evident.

The Lord told us that the Church would constantly be suffering, in different ways, until the end of the world. The important thing is that the message, the response of Fatima, in substance is not directed to particular devotions, but precisely to the fundamental response, that is, to ongoing conversion, penance, prayer, and the three theological virtues: faith, hope and charity. Thus we see here the true, fundamental response which the Church must give – which we, every one of us, must give in this situation.

As for the new things which we can find in this message today, there is also the fact that attacks on the Pope and the Church come not only from without, but the sufferings of the Church come precisely from within the Church, from the sin existing within the Church. This too is something that we have always known, but today we are seeing it in a really terrifying way: that the greatest persecution of the Church comes not from her enemies without, but arises from sin within the Church, and that the Church thus has a deep need to relearn penance, to accept purification, to learn forgiveness on the one hand, but also the need for justice. Forgiveness does not replace justice. In a word, we need to relearn precisely this essential: conversion, prayer, penance and the theological virtues.

This is our response, we are realists in expecting that evil always attacks, attacks from within and without, yet that the forces of good are also ever present and that, in the end, the Lord is more powerful than evil and Our Lady is for us the visible, motherly guarantee of God’s goodness, which is always the last word in history

Sounds like this eminent pontiff, scholar and theologian didn't take the Fatima apparitions lightly at all and considered its prophecies as still unfolding and involving suffering, persecution and great evil not only from enemies without but from sin within the Church.
  • kenstb
    Julie,

That was quite a list of things for me to consider. Firstly, I don't know that its fair to ask me whether I disagree with the former Cardinal Ratzinger's diagnosis of a problem that we all can see is real. It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with Cardinal Ratzinger. What does matter is that faith is a personal choice that is influenced by those who transmit the faith. I have seen real priests attract people of all kinds by their holy example. I have seen real liturgical musicians change lives by using their talents wisely and generously. Having heard the Word actually proclaimed from the ambo and the responsorial sung with authority, I am not in need of convincing about the power of our faith to inspire and to save. Our liturgy does reflect or embody what we believe, and I don't doubt that damage to the liturgy has had a ripple effect throughout society.

But, in my experience, it isn't the liturgy or style of mass that has caused folks that I know of to leave the church. It is the lack of kindness of those of us involved in greeting and welcoming them, singing and proclaiming the Word to them, and preaching to them that has caused these people to leave. In my view, most folks who attend mass in my area have never read anything written by Cardinal Ratzinger or any theologian. They do know whether they feel welcome. They do know if we say one thing and do another. They do know what it feels like to be treated like step children. I think that many young people look for sincerity in what we say we believe as opposed to what our actions show that we believe. When, unfortunately, we don't live up to our rhetoric, they see us as hypocritical and they don't believe what we claim to believe.

Having said that, I have seen a lot of people leave the church not because their faith withered, but because they joined the military and had to leave, or they got married and moved away or their jobs relocated.

Another reason for the loss of worshippers is the fact that parents are not teaching the faith to their children. I am persuaded that children learn what they live, not what we tell them, and I have seen several generations of young people receive the sacrament confirmation (which Pope Francis called the sacrament of farewell) and then never set foot in a church until they want to be married in one. I don't know if this is a result of the disintegration of the liturgy, as you put it, but I do know that it is real.

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • SalieriSalieri
    Charles W: With all due respect, I believe that you are a very intelligent person, but it seems to me that you are insisting that the Eastern Divine Liturgy is superior to the Roman Mass. Why? I doubt that the Apostles sang the Liturgy of St Basil.

You also seem to believe that the Classical Roman Mass was some-how written by Pius V (and possibly his 'consillium') after Trent - Pius V made slight modification to the Missal of the Diocese of Rome, as mandated by the council, he didn't invent an entirely new Rite, just as various bishops of Salisbury over time issued new editions with slight modifications of the Missal of that Diocese, and bishops of Paris their Missal. The greater portion of the Latin Rite Mass was in place by the time of Gregory I, who, in turn, codified it, and slightly amended it.

What we are fighting for here is the Classical Roman Rite, as contained in John XXIII's revision of Pius XII's revision of Pius X's revision of ... Urban VIII's revision ... of Pius V's revision ... of the Divine Liturgy of St Gregory I. The Novus Ordo Mass is no more the Roman Liturgy (despite is Title and, of course, validity - let me say that again: The Novus Ordo is 100% valid and licit, and will be until the Church says otherwise) than the Book of Common Prayer is the Sarum Liturgy. (Despite what Percy Dearmer, whom I greatly admire, says.)

As a Roman Rite Catholic, I don't care how similar the Novus Ordo Roman Rite is to the Sarum Rite or the Cistercian Rite, or the Benedictine Rite (yes there was such a thing), or the Parisian Rite, or the Liturgy of St. James, or the Liturgy of St. Basil, etc., I care about its similarities and departures from the Classical Roman Rite. That is what concerns me.
  • CharlesW
    I am not so sure about the classical Roman rite. Prior to the fall of Rome it would have greatly resembled the eastern liturgies in all their splendor. The empire collapsed in the west and Rome became a backwater. Most things degraded quickly including the liturgy. I have never said the eastern liturgies are superior. We have them essentially intact because the empire in the east lasted a thousand years longer. By the time of the Turks, the Greek liturgy had spread to eastern Europe and Russia which maintained the liturgy after the empire fell. It is largely gone today in what was Constantinople.

Yes, I do believe Pius V did some heavy tinkering with the western liturgy - a tradition that has continued to our present day. My objection is not to the Latin Church liturgy, but to those who maintain it came forth from Trent in perfect and heavenly form and that the Church is doomed and falling apart because it is no longer the principal liturgy of the western Church.

If the Church is falling apart, I think there are other factors involved. The Catholics and former Catholics I know have not left because of liturgical rites or music. The reasons they give are that they can't abide by the Church's teachings on contraception and many are in irregular marriage situations which put them at odds with the Church. Several have also mentioned bad preaching, so it must be fairly common.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka Gavin
  • francis
    Actually, dudes, the second part of the third message has been known about for decades since various people (including popes, vatican officials, Sr. Lucia, etc.) alluded to its content here and there and over there and then over yonder. And those who had been following Fatima all along, what happened when the Vatican came out in 2000 and proclaimed that the entirety of the third message was released at that point, well, they were pretty much laughed at as we all knew there was more. Even Mother Angelica went public with that, so... hold onto your souls! It ain't over yet.